PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Opens Investigation into Drug Testing

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2006, 04:01 PM
News out of Grambling reported by SWAC World I-AA columnist, Nick Deriso...

Apparently something nutty went on with the drug testing of Grambling's football players and according to Nick, "rumors have swirled that a handful of players, including some key starters, were subsequently thrown off the team."

Very interesting development for a football program that I believe is still under NCAA investigation.
----------------
Grambling begins investigation into drug test of football players
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING -- Grambling is conducting a procedural investigation into the drug testing of several football players earlier this month, coach Melvin Spears confirms.

"I'm not at liberty to say more than that," Spears said, "because our top officials are still looking into it."

The testing reportedly happened in the early morning hours of Nov. 7, while several members of the team were training. Rumors have swirled that a handful of players, including some key starters, were subsequently thrown off the team.

Earlier this week, Spears denied releasing anyone, while GSU athletics director Troy Mathieu said he was unaware of any dismissals.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/UPDATES02/61117005

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Having a blog really enhances the news coverage that Deriso is able to give to Grambling. Wish more columnists had a blog like this...

Here's Deriso's last blog...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/11/what-bayou-classic.html

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
More from NicK Deriso...

Letters were sent to the families of several Grambling State football players that said they had failed a school-administered drug test just three days after it was given.

“It is disappointing to say that (player’s name) failed the drug test,” the letter states. “This is a violation of the intitution and team rules. His future as a student-athlete is at risk and it is recommended that he attend counseling provided by the University.”

The letter, dated Nov. 10, is signed by GSU coach Melvin Spears, and was copied to Grambling President Horace Judson, athletics director Troy Mathieu and compliance officer Alvin Jackson.

An ongoing internal investigation into the tests could focus on whether protocol was followed in notification. The school is also reportedly studying whether proper procedures were used in administering the test.

The drug tests were conducted on Nov. 7, the Tuesday after GSU suffered a disappointing homecoming loss to Alabama State.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061118/SPORTS/61117017/1006

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Countdown before disparaging remark from SWAC fan.....................

Appstate29
November 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
well i'm not a SWAC fan, but YOU SIR are a RACIST, you have this annoying little habit of POSTING FACTS ABOUT a team and/or teams that are a part of I-AA and THUS are SUBJECT to discussion on this board, and I will NOT tolerate it anymore!

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
well i'm not a SWAC fan, but YOU SIR are a RACIST, you have this annoying little habit of POSTING FACTS ABOUT a team and/or teams that are a part of I-AA and THUS are SUBJECT to discussion on this board, and I will NOT tolerate it anymore!

Who was this directed towards? I was just making a joke

Appstate29
November 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
read: sarcastic

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
read: sarcastic

I was just thinking that, my B

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Who was this directed towards? I was just making a joke

So was Appstate29, and a pretty funny one, too. xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Surprisingly, there has been little discussion about this on SWAC Page compared to what I thought we'd see. These are major allegations (anything involving drug-use or tampering with drugs) is nowadays whether it's cycling or baseball or even football...

SWAC Page Thread:
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66202

Appstate29
November 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
sorry I don't get to use my sarcastic button as much where I am, because the people that speak english here are totally oblivious to it, so I tend to overcompensate by doing it everywhere else no matter what.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Gotta say, the SWAC posts have been a little light this season. Wonder why?...

gram4life
November 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Countdown before disparaging remark from SWAC fan.....................

Now you know that's not the case, TT posted the article without negative color commentary.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Now you know that's not the case, TT posted the article without negative color commentary.

It's all speculation now, but if I hear of any tampering by the athletic department of Grambling, expect all sorts of negative commentary! :nono:

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Still remains rather quiet on Grambling, SWAC front on this issue. Nothing new in the Sunday fishwraps.

Hope NicK Deriso can 'deliver the goods' and give us a head's up on what he's hearing and seeing...

mikebigg
November 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM
xcoffeex

McNeese75
November 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
xcoffeex

Damn Mike, where ya been?

It has been a rough year for the Tigers. Hopefully things will go better next year. :)

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Damn Mike, where ya been?

It has been a rough year for the Tigers. Hopefully things will go better next year. :)

Rough ain't the word... thing is the team has talent. Now this crap...

Man, I miss Eddie!!!!!!!

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Rough ain't the word... thing is the team has talent. Now this crap...

Man, I miss Eddie!!!!!!!

So, your thinking coaching has been the problem?

3rd Coast Tiger
November 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

You read the SWACPage, you tell us from what you've read there.

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I would be very interested to see what they were positive for. My bet is some sort of recreational drug, not a performance enhancer. I say this because I can't ever remember a player being caught for performance enhancers.

Also, was this Grambling that requested the testing or the NCAA?

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Also, was this Grambling that requested the testing or the NCAA?

Don't all schools have to go through testing at some point(s) of the season?

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I don't know any more "actual" facts than anyone else... but I do know that the test wasn't sanctioned by the NCAA or our AD. The Chemistry on this year's team between the players and Coaching Staff is horrible. I don't know what's the blame or who's at fault, but it will be addressed.:nod: :nod:

McNeese75
November 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM

My comment was not a lead in for an interview from you. I was just trying to tell an old friend Hi and good luck next year.

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM
My comment was not a lead in for an interview from you. I was just trying to tell an old friend Hi and good luck next year.

Yes, I know... I wasn't disturbed by the question.

Sidenote: I hope our new AD looks into scheduling the SLC's La schools in a home and home for the next 8 years (each school gets a home and home). Mr. Matthieu is a McNeese grad and I think he will see the financial benefit of having an extra game in La each year. It will help our season ticket sales (imo).

MACHIAVELLI
November 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Sidenote: I hope our new AD looks into scheduling the SLC's La schools in a home and home for the next 8 years (each school gets a home and home). Mr. Matthieu is a McNeese grad and I think he will see the financial benefit of having an extra game in La each year. It will help our season ticket sales (imo).

I hope not.

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I hope not.

That's your opinion Mach...but I think that Grambling's fans will benefit from having an extra game in Louisiana. The days of the Classic Barnstorming is over...it was during the time when our old stadium only seated 10K or more.

Now we need to build up our season ticket sales so that we can use our home attendance as the basis for a stadium expansion and other things. Economic Development for the Town of Grambling can be greatly impacted by Grambling having 5 sell out home games a year. We stand a better chance of getting more fans out if we are playing other State schools.
Fans are tired of the same ol games against teams that our fans have never heard of or which they have not developed a rivalry attitude about.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
That's your opinion Mach...but I think that Grambling's fans will benefit from having an extra game in Louisiana. The days of the Classic Barnstorming is over...it was during the time when our old stadium only seated 10K or more.

Now we need to build up our season ticket sales so that we can use our home attendance as the basis for a stadium expansion and other things. Economic Development for the Town of Grambling can be greatly impacted by Grambling having 5 sell out home games a year. We stand a better chance of getting more fans out if we are playing other State schools.
Fans are tired of the same ol games against teams that our fans have never heard of or which they have not developed a rivalry attitude about.

:thumbsup:

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Don't all schools have to go through testing at some point(s) of the season?

Yes they do, and that is why I was suspect that the NCAA threw out a random drug test. It seemed more like a university sanctioned test.

Mr. Tiger
November 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I don't know any more "actual" facts than anyone else... but I do know that the test wasn't sanctioned by the NCAA or our AD. The Chemistry on this year's team between the players and Coaching Staff is horrible. I don't know what's the blame or who's at fault, but it will be addressed.:nod: :nod:

I agree. There were internal problems with that team because Grambling was talented this year but only showed up to play in a few games. Too bad one of those games was against Jackson State. xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
November 20th, 2006, 11:23 PM

That is your opinion Mike. We will never have 5 sell out games in a year. There is no need for stadium expansion anytime soon. Yes we need to build our season tickets, but they don't impact our athletic department, never will. We have had 5 home games in a year once since 1983 (the year Robinson stadium opened). We only have a rivalry with one school in the state, that is fact. McNeese, Northwestern and SELA names don't carry in weight in North Louisiana. Home and home with any of these teams in our present situatiuon doesn't make annual economic or common sense. The days of barnstorming are not over. You are sadly mistaken.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
That is your opinion Mike. We will never have 5 sell out games in a year. There is no need for stadium expansion anytime soon. Yes we need to build our season tickets, but they don't impact our athletic department, never will. We have had 5 home games in a year once since 1983 (the year Robinson stadium opened). We only have a rivalry with one school in the state, that is fact. McNeese, Northwestern and SELA names don't carry in weight in North Louisiana. Home and home with any of these teams in our present situatiuon doesn't make annual economic or common sense. The days of barnstorming are not over. You are sadly mistaken.

Mach, I think Troy will get it together for the ICON. Good Luck.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
An update on the internal investigation that is going on at Grambling in regards to procedures with the drug testing and reporting that occurred of said drug testing...

GSU investigation still ongoing
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

Grambling State has not yet completed an internal investigation into the November drug testing of several football players.

"There is nothing to report as of yet," GSU athletics director Troy Mathieu said on Wednesday. "The investigation is ongoing."

The probe is focusing on whether proper procedures were followed in administrating and reporting the results of the test, given on Nov. 7 — just days after a disappointing homecoming loss to Alabama State.
Several families then received a letter dated Nov. 10 signed by Grambling coach Melvin Spears stating that their son had failed a drug test, though it did not indicate that any player had been thrown off the team.

Spears has previously said that the testing was not at the request of the NCAA, but was administered randomly. He said he would be available for further comment once Grambling's audit was complete.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/SPORTS/612140348/1006