PDA

View Full Version : chattanooga Mocs offseason thread.

chattownmocs
February 12th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Will this be the best program of all time, the best program to never win it all, or somewhere in the middle? Its been a slow rebuild but, my God, we have arrived.

SU DOG
February 12th, 2015, 08:45 AM
The best program of all time? xlolx You might should be concerned about arriving in Homewood AL on Sept 19, see what happens there, and then talk more about your arriving - just a suggestion. :)

chattownmocs
February 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM
The best program of all time? xlolx You might should be concerned about arriving in Homewood AL on Sept 19, see what happens there, and then talk more about your arriving - just a suggestion. :)

its going to be a big game.....for shamford...for chattanooga its just taking care of business against an inferior opponent.

Mattymc727
February 12th, 2015, 08:52 AM
So if Chattanooga is the best team of all time, what does that make UNH?

chattownmocs
February 12th, 2015, 08:56 AM
So if Chattanooga is the best team of all time, what does that make UNH?

early trash talk from UNH in the thread...didn't expect that. UNH maximizes better than anyone, ill put it like that.

kdinva
February 12th, 2015, 09:07 AM
anticipating CitDog in 3--------------2-----------------1-------

citdog
February 12th, 2015, 09:14 AM
anticipating CitDog in 3--------------2-----------------1-------

Chatty whipped us worse than free shoes university did. They were the class of the league last year. I expect they will get all the first place votes at Media Day. I think the rest of the league will be much improve.

chattownmocs
February 12th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Chatty whipped us worse than free shoes university did. They were the class of the league last year. I expect they will get all the first place votes at Media Day. I think the rest of the league will be much improve.

The rest of the league is looking up at the champs. 2016 should be more competitive.

walliver
February 12th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Most of the SoCon has almost everybody back next year.
6 of the 8 teams have a legitimate chance at the playoffs. Mercer is still a year away, and VMI has a difficult road ahead.
Chatty is the obvious choice in the preseason polls, but I doubt they run the table this year.

Since mini-me completes his eligibility this year, it will be interesting to see if Daddy Huesman starts looking to move up.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Furman returns 18 starters and 36 players that have logged starts. Not just got in the game. Starts. Kind of incredible, really.

Furman is a cautionary tale. Doesn't take much to derail a season. Team does not look as good when the all conference QB goes out with injury minutes into the season. You take 5 all SoCon players off any team's roster and the product will be predictably worse than expected.

I imagine we will be better. Cannot have a season worse than 2014. No promises.

kdinva
February 12th, 2015, 09:53 AM
.....and VMI has a difficult road ahead.....

Keydets will be a work in progress w/the new coaching staff.....and I have heard of no attrition in Barracks regarding returning players, and the 13 (so far) signees have a lot of speed and potential. New Off. coord/QB's coach is from Concord, who went 13-1 and made it to the D-2 semi's in December. He'll have fun working with Cobb and all those receivers....

Silenoz
February 12th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Will this be the best program of all time, the best program to never win it all, or somewhere in the middle? Its been a slow rebuild but, my God, we have arrived.

Best program of all time - I'd say that would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 straight national championships. Never happening, so... no.

Best program to never win it all - to surpass the likes of UNI, McNeese, UNH, Sammy, etc., that would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 straight runner-up finishes, 6 straight semi-finalist finishes, or some combo of those two. So, 98% chance that is never happening.

So I guess you're somewhere in the middle with another 100+ other schools in FCS...

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Best program of all time - I'd say that would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 straight national championships. Never happening, so... no.

Best program to never win it all - to surpass the likes of UNI, McNeese, UNH, Sammy, etc., that would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 straight runner-up finishes, 6 straight semi-finalist finishes, or some combo of those two. So, 98% chance that is never happening.

So I guess you're somewhere in the middle with another 100+ other schools in FCS...

Maybe he means best Chatty team of all time. That's a pretty low bar.

Lehigh'98
February 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Maybe he means best Chatty team of all time. That's a pretty low bar.

I'm pretty sure 2014 was the best UTC team of all time. They whipped ISUb and played well against UNH in their house. Nothing at all to hang your head over.

Apphole
February 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM

They ran through the deflated, post-App/Stink SmallCon without a scratch. Then proceeded to get their dicks kicked in in the post season.

I'd expect regional FCS greatness and embarrassment against national competition again in 2015.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty sure 2014 was the best UTC team of all time. They whipped ISUb and played well against UNH in their house. Nothing at all to hang your head over.

Nor anything to hang your hat on, either. Basically you've jumped into the middle 3rd of teams in FCS with that.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM
They ran through the deflated, post-App/Stink SmallCon without a scratch. Then proceeded to get their dicks kicked in in the post season.

I'd expect regional FCS greatness and embarrassment against national competition again in 2015.

Prolly would have beaten Liberty.

Toby
February 12th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Most of the SoCon has almost everybody back next year.
6 of the 8 teams have a legitimate chance at the playoffs. Mercer is still a year away, and VMI has a difficult road ahead.
Chatty is the obvious choice in the preseason polls, but I doubt they run the table this year.

Since mini-me completes his eligibility this year, it will be interesting to see if Daddy Huesman starts looking to move up.

Mercer may be in the mix next year as well. They return all 22 starters plus 2013 MVP all conference OLB from injury. I realize the Bears laid an egg the last game of the year at Wofford, but they gave UTC their toughest SoCon game last year and were within one possession with Samford, Citadel and Furman. Maybe your discounting them since they will not be at full scholarship level until 2016, but it won't take a whole lot of improvement for them to be in the mix.

walliver
February 12th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Mercer may be in the mix next year as well. They return all 22 starters plus 2013 MVP all conference OLB from injury. I realize the Bears laid an egg the last game of the year at Wofford, but they gave UTC their toughest SoCon game last year and were within one possession with Samford, Citadel and Furman. Maybe your discounting them since they will not be at full scholarship level until 2016, but it won't take a whole lot of improvement for them to be in the mix.

To me the key is senior leadership. The number of scholarships is not particularly important, but having 4th year players on the field can turn close losses into close wins.

tenNesseeCat
February 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM

I think Mercer will be improved over their '14 team. I also think that Furman, The Citadel, Wofford, and WCU will be as well. The way I see it, everyone is still in the mix for '15. I don't think that anyone is really discounting Mercer. They did about what was expected in the win/loss count, but maybe were in a couple games that weren't expected. Like the UTC game. The SoCon isn't going to be static, most all teams are going to be improved.

Cocky
February 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Do you think the 2015 version of the UTC football team will have 10 Yds by halftime? The 5 yds the 2014 version had made us all wonder if we could ever compete with UTC.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Do you think the 2015 version of the UTC football team will have 10 Yds by halftime? The 5 yds the 2014 version had made us all wonder if we could ever compete with UTC.

Not sure if that's something to brag about seeing how the game came out.

Mocs123
February 12th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I think most every team in the SoCon will be better this season, especially Furman. I had them picked to win the conference last year and they fell apart, but that might be a blessing in disguise for 2015. Due to the injuries they got a lot of young guys battle tested that could make them one of the deepest teams in the confrence. I hope that the SoCon as a whole wins games in the OCC so we can get more than 1 team in the playoffs this year.

I still think Chattanooga is the favorite, but it will be a much tighter race this season.

As for the JSU game, I certainly hope we do better than last year. I honestly have never seen a college offense look so bad. I always enjoy and look forward to the JSU game.

Cocky
February 12th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Not sure if that's something to brag about seeing how the game came out.
We won? Throw two pick 6s again a playoff team and win the game. And yes I understand NDSU has won several games recently but don't get too spoiled all good things come to an end.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 08:27 PM
We won? Throw two pick 6s again a playoff team and win the game. And yes I understand NDSU has won several games recently but don't get too spoiled all good things come to an end.

Believe me, I'm not thumping my chest at any ISUr fans about that championship game. I about threw up on the guy in front of me when we went ahead.

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2015, 09:03 PM
2016 should be more competitive.

2016? You're just baiting me to post that pic from 2014 again, aren't you? Not gonna do it.

Unlike the mighty mocks, who, apparently, have already clinched the 2015 SoCon Championship, the li'l bears from maconga will just hope not to fulfill everyone's preseason prognostications and get completely destroyed and blown out in every SoCon game again like they did last year, particularly the one they played against UTC...in Chattown's brain. (That's not an oxymoron, is it?)

dewey
February 12th, 2015, 09:55 PM

I must give major praise as you should have a doctorate in trolling as there is 3 pages of responses at your fishing...well done sir well done.

Dewey

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2015, 04:19 AM
I think most every team in the SoCon will be better this season, especially Furman. I had them picked to win the conference last year and they fell apart, but that might be a blessing in disguise for 2015. Due to the injuries they got a lot of young guys battle tested that could make them one of the deepest teams in the confrence. I hope that the SoCon as a whole wins games in the OCC so we can get more than 1 team in the playoffs this year.

I still think Chattanooga is the favorite, but it will be a much tighter race this season.

As for the JSU game, I certainly hope we do better than last year. I honestly have never seen a college offense look so bad. I always enjoy and look forward to the JSU game.

Hard to say. While a lot of guys got a lot of playing time, I would prefer it if we could have young talented players take a redshirt year and spend time in the system.

Interestingly, two of Furman's best players, QB Reese Hannon and MLB Carl Rider, both missed the season due to injury. Both took their redshirts and will return as redshirt juniors instead of true seniors.

citdog
February 13th, 2015, 06:59 AM
furman sucks

tenNesseeCat
February 13th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Hard to say. While a lot of guys got a lot of playing time, I would prefer it if we could have young talented players take a redshirt year and spend time in the system.

Interestingly, two of Furman's best players, QB Reese Hannon and MLB Carl Rider, both missed the season due to injury. Both took their redshirts and will return as redshirt juniors instead of true seniors.

I expect Furman will be by far the most improved team in '15.

OL FU
February 13th, 2015, 08:04 AM

WE should know very quickly how we stand out of conferencexembarrassedx

Date
Opponent

2015-09-05 -- TBA
Coastal Carolina
Greenville, SC
-

2015-09-12 -- TBA
Virginia Tech
FBS Opponent
Blacksburg, VA
-

2015-09-19 -- TBA
Jacksonville State
Jacksonville, AL
-

- - - Updated - - -

WE should know very quickly how we stand out of conferencexembarrassedx

Date

Opponent

Score

Well that didn't work

CCU at home
at Va Tech
AT Jacksonville STate

First three weeks.

citdog
February 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM
0-3

OL FU
February 13th, 2015, 09:14 AM
0-3

IT is a tough start. The only thing I am absolutely certain of in 2015. Is that we will not lose to the Citadel two years in a row:p

longtimemocfan
February 13th, 2015, 09:49 AM

If not for borderline call on a punt return you would have lost with all that statistical dominance.... By seasons end who looked to be the better team... We can revisit this debate come September.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
IT is a tough start. The only thing I am absolutely certain of in 2015. Is that we will not lose to the Citadel two years in a row:p

It's a tough start, but the schedule at least sets up well. Furman gets Coastal out of the gate in Greenville, a team we have played step for step with the last two seasons. They go to VT after the Hokies play Ohio State at home on a Monday night.

If Furman can take one of those first three, I think that will be just fine. Win two of three and we'll be in high cotton.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I expect Furman will be by far the most improved team in '15.

Let's hope. Cannot be much worse.

Bisonator
February 13th, 2015, 10:59 AM

Rebuild? When was UTC ever on top to begin with??

longtimemocfan
February 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM

Lol remember the source this came from. It's really been over 30 years since the program has been on this level. Even then it was good for about 7 years.Hardly what I'd call a longtime dominant program.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Lol remember the source this came from. It's really been over 30 years since the program has been on this level. Even then it was good for about 7 years.Hardly what I'd call a longtime dominant program.

I'd like to apologize to you reasonable mocs fans. Chattown is so fun to beat up, it's irresistible. Sometimes your team gets caught in the crossfire.

chattownmocs
February 13th, 2015, 01:26 PM

It doesn't have to be on top to rebuild. But consider the source.

longtimemocfan
February 13th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I'd like to apologize to you reasonable mocs fans. Chattown is so fun to beat up, it's irresistible. Sometimes your team gets caught in the crossfire.

Yes he can be provocative lol. It's understandable.

Bisonator
February 13th, 2015, 02:58 PM
It doesn't have to be on top to rebuild. But consider the source.

So you're "rebuilding" back to a mediocre level. Gotcha, keep up the good work! xlolx

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2015, 07:49 PM
If Furman can take one of those first three, I think that will be just fine. Win two of three and we'll be in high cotton.

Agree with you...but...serious question, not smack. (I don't do FU Smack, you should know that.)

What is your opinion of what happens with the Paladins if they lose all 3 of those? For purposes of answering my posed question, if you will, let's assume:

1) doesn't matter if VT loss is close or a blowout, think of it however you choose
2) at least one of the FCS games is a bad loss - not a blowout, necessarily, but not a nail-biter that was lost on a bad break either...a clear loss and the 'Dins don't look good during that (or those) loss(es).

How do the players react/respond?
How do the fans react/respond?

I know it's a 'bad scene' to think of and, honestly, I don't want to think of it either...but it certainly could happen with that schedule and I just haven't been around FU enough in the last 3 years to have a sense of what that kind of ugliness might bring after last season's results. Very interested in your take?

citdog
February 13th, 2015, 10:21 PM
furman sucks

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Agree with you...but...serious question, not smack. (I don't do FU Smack, you should know that.)

What is your opinion of what happens with the Paladins if they lose all 3 of those? For purposes of answering my posed question, if you will, let's assume:

1) doesn't matter if VT loss is close or a blowout, think of it however you choose
2) at least one of the FCS games is a bad loss - not a blowout, necessarily, but not a nail-biter that was lost on a bad break either...a clear loss and the 'Dins don't look good during that (or those) loss(es).

How do the players react/respond?
How do the fans react/respond?

I know it's a 'bad scene' to think of and, honestly, I don't want to think of it either...but it certainly could happen with that schedule and I just haven't been around FU enough in the last 3 years to have a sense of what that kind of ugliness might bring after last season's results. Very interested in your take?

Interesting question. I think this group of guys has demonstrated toughness in the face of adversity. Recall two years ago Furman was 2-4 coming off several demoralizing losses and a PC game that would have sent the fan base over the edge. They then went on to pretty much dominate every SoCon they played only dropping games to NDSU and LSU on the road.

Remember, the Paladins are still largely the same core that endured a 3-8 season in 2012 as well. They were mostly freshmen then, but played step for step with top 10 teams. There is a lot of leadership and a lot of character in that group.

Still, there is a sense they are snake-bit. Hard to imagine a worse season than 2014. It was demoralizing to watch an opponent go up two scores knowing the chances of a comeback were virtually nil. Too many freshman, too much inexperience, too simple a playbook, and opponents took every advantage.

Talent is there to compete, I think. The team has been through enough adversity the past three seasons to really not let it bother them. I know those guys have got to be hungry, though. Has not happened often, but the Paladins have looked really good when they have been at full strength the last two years.

blueballs
February 15th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Furman should be pretty good if they can avoid the injury bug.

Chatty still has to be the prohibitive favorite at this way too early point though.

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Very funny! I love how you proclaim this stuff every year to get people excited and create the most read thread of all-time. Good job on that! I'm sure you laugh at sucking everyone in.

For those who will take your proclamation seriously I will delve into facts and educated predictions for them though.

Here are the past champs. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/past_champions.htm

Best all-time in FCS is either 1986 Georgia Southern, 1994 Youngstown State, 1996 Marshall, 1999 Georgia Southern, 2003 Delaware, 2007 App, or 2013 North Dakota State.

You guys have pretty much done exactly what I have projected each of the last few years. This past year you finally got the autobid and won one game, making it to round of 8. I believe I projected that.

You have a good bit of talent returning with only 3-4 major losses from last year. This team should be the best UTC team of all-time but I don't see it being the best team this year, let alone of all-time.

As for 2015, UTC should sweep the SoCon. Jacksonville State is 50/50, for sure wins are Mars Hill, Presbyterian, VMI, Wofford, and the Citadel. I think you will beat Samford, Western Carolina, and Furman but they will be much closer and you can't make mistakes and still win. Florida State is a definite loss. I'm going to project 10-2 and a top 10 ranking with a semi-final exit. Huesman is really good but will have to show he can play well and carry the offense in a big game.

North Dakota State has actually had the best recruiting class the last 3 years in FCS and I believe they did once again this year. You guys have actually been putting in what I call a top 10 class the last few years and have enough to challenge though. If UTC is going to contend for a title this is the year.

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Let's hope. Cannot be much worse.

If you stay healthy I think you will. SoCon should be very good this year. I said last year the SoCon was down and not as good as it had been. The league will be back. At least 2-3 playoff teams, maybe 4. I think UTC and Furman make the playoffs with Samford as a legit playoff contender.

Western Carolina is a maybe because of their schedule. WCU's problem is 2 FBS games. They will lose to UTC, Tennessee, and Texas A&M. They will have to 2 of 3 among Furman, Wofford, and Samford and then win the rest of the games. If so they do, they should get an at-large berth.

blueballs
February 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Very funny! I love how you proclaim this stuff every year to get people excited and create the most read thread of all-time. Good job on that! I'm sure you laugh at sucking everyone in.

For those who will take your proclamation seriously I will delve into facts and educated predictions for them though.

Here are the past champs. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/past_champions.htm

Best all-time in FCS is either 1986 Georgia Southern, 1996 Marshall, 1999 Youngstown State, 2003 Delaware, 2007 App, or 2013 North Dakota State.

You guys have pretty much done exactly what I have projected each of the last few years. This past year you finally got the autobid and won one game, making it to round of 8. I believe I projected that.

You have a good bit of talent returning with only 3-4 major losses from last year. This team should be the best UTC team of all-time but I don't see it being the best team this year, let alone of all-time.

As for 2015, UTC should sweep the SoCon. Jacksonville State is 50/50, for sure wins are Mars Hill, Presbyterian, VMI, Wofford, and the Citadel. I think you will beat Samford, Western Carolina, and Furman but they will be much closer and you can't make mistakes and still win. Florida State is a definite loss. I'm going to project 10-2 and a top 10 ranking with a semi-final exit. Huesman is really good but will have to show he can play well and carry the offense in a big game.

North Dakota State has actually had the best recruiting class the last 3 years in FCS and I believe they did once again this year. You guys have actually been putting in what I call a top 10 class the last few years and have enough to challenge though. If UTC is going to contend for a title this is the year.

Did you mean the 1994 Youngstown team? The 1999 version got curb stomped by GS by 5 TD's in the title game.

smallcollegefbfan
February 15th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Did you mean the 1994 Youngstown team? The 1999 version got curb stomped by GS by 5 TD's in the title game.

Glad you caught that typo. I meant 1994 YSU and 1999 GSU. I edited it. That's what I get for fast typing. Any other GSU teams your fan base would put among your best of all-time?

blueballs
February 15th, 2015, 01:01 PM
SCFBF: Yes, the 1989 GS team went 15-0-0. They have to be in the discussion for GOAT in 1-AA/FCS. However, for my money the two best are 1996 Marshall and 2013 NDSU. They both ran the table AND posted a net point differential of +400 and are the only two teams to do that.

As for the SoCon, my frame of reference is only from 1992 forward, but IMO the 1996 Marshall, 1999 GS, and 2007 App teams are pretty much the top dogs, with the 1996 Marshall (cheater) group being the best. Suffice to say no Chatty team is even in the top 20. In addition to those previously mentioned, there were some really good SoCon teams during that period that no Chatty team can hold a candle to, like 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2011, and 2012 GS... 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005 Furman... 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 App... 2003 and 2012 Wofford... and I'm sure an argument can be made for others too.

Catsfan90
February 15th, 2015, 02:07 PM
6 pages from a troll post. Good job!

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2015, 06:53 PM
6 pages from a troll post. Good job!

To be fair, there's one or two troll posts and the rest is legitimate discussion of SoCon football.

longtimemocfan
February 15th, 2015, 09:10 PM
SCFBF: Yes, the 1989 GS team went 15-0-0. They have to be in the discussion for GOAT in 1-AA/FCS. However, for my money the two best are 1996 Marshall and 2013 NDSU. They both ran the table AND posted a net point differential of +400 and are the only two teams to do that.

As for the SoCon, my frame of reference is only from 1992 forward, but IMO the 1996 Marshall, 1999 GS, and 2007 App teams are pretty much the top dogs, with the 1996 Marshall (cheater) group being the best. Suffice to say no Chatty team is even in the top 20. In addition to those previously mentioned, there were some really good SoCon teams during that period that no Chatty team can hold a candle to, like 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2011, and 2012 GS... 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005 Furman... 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 App... 2003 and 2012 Wofford... and I'm sure an argument can be made for others too.

Not agreeing with you totally on the GSU teams of 2011 or 2012...With a 5-6 team in 2011 we take GSU to the wire with a backup running QB. In 2012 a 6-5 Chattanooga team loses in 3 ot's to GSU. A game that never makes it to o.t if not for a muffed punt by Chattanooga. I think the 2014 Chattanooga team was much better than either of our teams 0f 2011 or2012.

blueballs
February 16th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Not agreeing with you totally on the GSU teams of 2011 or 2012...With a 5-6 team in 2011 we take GSU to the wire with a backup running QB. In 2012 a 6-5 Chattanooga team loses in 3 ot's to GSU. A game that never makes it to o.t if not for a muffed punt by Chattanooga. I think the 2014 Chattanooga team was much better than either of our teams 0f 2011 or2012.

You made my point for me.... those two Chatty teams won 11 games combined. GS won 11 in 2011. Body of work..........

Erk Russell spoke about being your best when the frost is on the pumpkin, and GS built it's brand on winning in November and December. Chatty has yet to accomplish that once, let alone across 3 decades.

However, they now have no excuse for not being a conference favorite every year with App and GS moving on, but you have to win in December to truly reach that elite level.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2015, 06:55 AM
You made my point for me.... those two Chatty teams won 11 games combined. GS won 11 in 2011. Body of work..........

Erk Russell spoke about being your best when the frost is on the pumpkin, and GS built it's brand on winning in November and December. Chatty has yet to accomplish that once, let alone across 3 decades.

However, they now have no excuse for not being a conference favorite every year with App and GS moving on, but you have to win in December to truly reach that elite level.

Furman beat a lowly Elon team on the road 10-0 in 2004. That Furman team averaged 35 points per game. The only other team to hold them under 29 points that season was National Champion James Madison.

That ugly game against Elon, I think, does not negate the body of work the rest of the season. That was a really good team despite that bad game.

DP_ASU
February 16th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Who?

longtimemocfan
February 16th, 2015, 10:09 AM

I can see where your going with this and why. I'm just glad we can compete at a higher level now. This season will be a test to see if we can sustain it or not. Many teams in the conference will be tougher this year.Samford,Furman,Wofford and Western should all improve this year.

Milktruck74
February 16th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I don't care about being the best of all time....I just want to be the best team in 2015!!!! And Marshall (I still hate them) had an outstanding team in 1996, but they only won two times in Chattanooga!!! Overall, the Mocs owned them at home!

SU DOG
February 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Samford should definitely be really good this year, and yes, I am biased of course. I realize that predictions this time of the year are based on "prejudice & paper" but we are all optimistic for now. I truly believe that Samford can beat the Mocs at home. UTC has a tough test against JSU and we have a tough game against UCA that will also be an indicator of where we are. Both teams, UTC and Samford, have the talent returning to be in the playoffs. Whoever wins that early conference game in B'ham will NOT have a lock, as the conference will have numerous improved teams this year, but that winner will be in good shape for a run in the SoCon. Interesting times are ahead - excited for this season.

smallcollegefbfan
February 16th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Samford should definitely be really good this year, and yes, I am biased of course. I realize that predictions this time of the year are based on "prejudice & paper" but we are all optimistic for now. I truly believe that Samford can beat the Mocs at home. UTC has a tough test against JSU and we have a tough game against UCA that will also be an indicator of where we are. Both teams, UTC and Samford, have the talent returning to be in the playoffs. Whoever wins that early conference game in B'ham will NOT have a lock, as the conference will have numerous improved teams this year, but that winner will be in good shape for a run in the SoCon. Interesting times are ahead - excited for this season.

I think Samford is the best shot to beat UTC this year. Furman should be a lot better. UTC is still the favorite and I think they will sweep the league, despite strong competition. If UTC blows out everyone in the SoCon, considering the league will be better, then I would probably say they should be top 5 in the nation. They are #7 in my current rough draft top 25 for my TSN vote.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I think Samford is the best shot to beat UTC this year. Furman should be a lot better. UTC is still the favorite and I think they will sweep the league, despite strong competition. If UTC blows out everyone in the SoCon, considering the league will be better, then I would probably say they should be top 5 in the nation. They are #7 in my current rough draft top 25 for my TSN vote.

Not where you have other teams ranked, but any other FCS team have potentially 3 top 10 preseason teams (UTC, JSU, Coastal) on the schedule besides Furman?

SU DOG
February 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM
If Furman can win the SoCon with that schedule, then they are in the top 5 of FCS IMO. It is ridiculously brutal.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2015, 06:17 PM
If Furman can win the SoCon with that schedule, then they are in the top 5 of FCS IMO. It is ridiculously brutal.

As I have said before, we will know real quick where Furman stands nationally.

Bisonoline
February 16th, 2015, 07:01 PM

You also posted this---

""The dirty secret about NDSU, is that basically ALL of their most impactful players [in 2013] were seniors. ALL. You guys arent good anymore.""

So just on these two statements alone you are 0 for 2. LOL

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 16th, 2015, 07:31 PM
You also posted this---

""The dirty secret about NDSU, is that basically ALL of their most impactful players [in 2013] were seniors. ALL. You guys arent good anymore.""

Classic!!!!!

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2015, 07:49 PM
You also posted this---

I don't keep statistics, but the couple posters on this forum that always speak in maxims (the best, the greatest, the worst, never, always, etc.) are pretty much proven wrong weekly without fail.

FUBeAR
February 17th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Amid that optimism, are there any concerns among the faithful that the Bulldog's new Head Coach has a .500 record and an average in-conference finish between 4th and 5th in his 8 years of FCS Coaching at 2 schools? I hear nothing but good things about him (outside of the Statesboro TO Mafia), but his record after leaving The City of Champions in 2006 (where his last Conference Championship, on any level, was in 2004) wouldn't seem to project a SoCon Championship.

blueballs
February 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Amid that optimism, are there any concerns among the faithful that the Bulldog's new Head Coach has a .500 record and an average in-conference finish between 4th and 5th in his 8 years of FCS Coaching at 2 schools? I hear nothing but good things about him (outside of the Statesboro TO Mafia), but his record after leaving The City of Champions in 2006 (where his last Conference Championship, on any level, was in 2004) wouldn't seem to project a SoCon Championship.

Prepare for lots of screens, not a lot of defense, very little strength and conditioning training, recruiting of some bad actors, and general malaise........ but he's a heckuva' nice guy.

Not quite the post I wanted for #6000 but it just kinda' worked out that way.....

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Prepare for lots of screens, not a lot of defense, very little strength and conditioning training, recruiting of some bad actors, and general malaise........ but he's a heckuva' nice guy.

Not quite the post I wanted for #6000 but it just kinda' worked out that way.....

I first thought that Hatcher was not really given a fair shake at GSU. Asked largely to take a triple option team and install his air raid offense without the personnel.

Still, he was not really wildly successful at Murray State either. I do expect some of that is that it is much harder to recruit than it was at VSU. Still, put him back in arms reach of his middle Georgia stomping grounds, and maybe he can turn out some talent with a better framework than he had in Statesboro.

parr90
February 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM

Best all-time in FCS is either 1986 Georgia Southern, 1994 Youngstown State, 1996 Marshall, 1999 Georgia Southern, 2003 Delaware, 2007 App, or 2013 North Dakota State.

You forgot the 1989 15-0 Georgia Southern team. Probably the best overall team besides the 1999 team that GS has fielded.

SU DOG
February 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Hatcher has kept the DC, and most all of the defensive coaches. Anyone who thinks the Samford defense will be weak this season will be in for a rude awakening. He has arguably the best recruiting class in the SoCon(admittedly lots of that done before he arrived), and will focus primarily on the offensive side of the ball. IMO, the Samford offense has underachieved recently, and I am hopeful, and optimistic, that will improve this year. Again, without injuries, I know that Samford will be very strong this year, there is just too much talent to think otherwise, although I'm certainly not predicting any outlandish championship claims. What will Hatcher do long-term? I have no idea, but I have been impressed when talking to him. IMO, he was probably doomed at Ga.Sou. because of the TO, and, somewhat handcuffed with recruiting at Murray State. No offense meant to the Racers, but the talent at Samford is currently on another plane completely.

smallcollegefbfan
February 17th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Hatcher has kept the DC, and most all of the defensive coaches. Anyone who thinks the Samford defense will be weak this season will be in for a rude awakening. He has arguably the best recruiting class in the SoCon(admittedly lots of that done before he arrived), and will focus primarily on the offensive side of the ball. IMO, the Samford offense has underachieved recently, and I am hopeful, and optimistic, that will improve this year. Again, without injuries, I know that Samford will be very strong this year, there is just too much talent to think otherwise, although I'm certainly not predicting any outlandish championship claims. What will Hatcher do long-term? I have no idea, but I have been impressed when talking to him. IMO, he was probably doomed at Ga.Sou. because of the TO, and, somewhat handcuffed with recruiting at Murray State. No offense meant to the Racers, but the talent at Samford is currently on another plane completely.

I think it will come down to your QB play. If Eubank can put it all together you guys will be good. He's got mobility, size, and a great arm. He is the best NFL prospect on your team and perhaps a sleeper to rise from my camp body grade to a draftable grade due to his tools. If Huesman has his physical tools he would be a 2nd round pick. Hopefully your signal caller can improve this offseason and live up to the expectations that scouts will have for him.

SU DOG
February 17th, 2015, 07:22 PM
I agree completely, what also is not commonly known is that he played last year with an ankle injury that slowed him down the entire last half of the season.

citdog
February 17th, 2015, 09:02 PM
samford hired a division II coach who will gezt outcoached every sat. su dog this is the same team that barely snuck out of Charles with a win and your best player in years on both sides of the ball are gone? you fall back to 4th or 5th.

SU DOG
February 18th, 2015, 09:07 AM
And, speaking of D2 coaches, where did Coach Houston(who I think is a very good one) come from? Tartt will be hard to replace, but we do have some players-in-waiting who are talented. Now, we may finish 4th or 5th, but I don't think so. If we do, however, that does not bode well for the Charleston Bulldogs as their track record shows they never finish above Samford since we have been in the conference. It's really just too early to predict exact finishes, but again lots of interesting possibilities. I think the one thing that we all can agree on is that the SoCon will be much stronger this year.

smallcollegefbfan
February 18th, 2015, 09:50 AM
samford hired a division II coach who will gezt outcoached every sat. su dog this is the same team that barely snuck out of Charles with a win and your best player in years on both sides of the ball are gone? you fall back to 4th or 5th.

In football it only matters if you win. I have seen a highly ranked team barely beat an unranked team and still finish the season on top. A win is a win. Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades. The bottom line is Samford won and Samford should finish higher than The Citadel this year. With that said, I think you guys will be improved though. I would like to see Samford, Citadel, and Western Carolina all get in the playoffs. Would be nice to see some new faces from the SoCon get in sometimes other than UTC and possibly Furman every year.

walliver
February 18th, 2015, 11:04 AM
In football it only matters if you win. I have seen a highly ranked team barely beat an unranked team and still finish the season on top. A win is a win. Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades. The bottom line is Samford won and Samford should finish higher than The Citadel this year. With that said, I think you guys will be improved though. I would like to see Samford, Citadel, and Western Carolina all get in the playoffs. Would be nice to see some new faces from the SoCon get in sometimes other than UTC and possibly Furman every year.

A sure sign the End of Days is upon us.

It will be interesting to see how Hatcher plays out.
He had a great run at Valdosta State.
His great achievement at Georgia Southern was to reverse his imbecilic predecessor's decision to take the football away from his best player and let Jayson Foster make plays.

PaladinFan
February 18th, 2015, 11:07 AM
And, speaking of D2 coaches, where did Coach Houston(who I think is a very good one) come from? Tartt will be hard to replace, but we do have some players-in-waiting who are talented. Now, we may finish 4th or 5th, but I don't think so. If we do, however, that does not bode well for the Charleston Bulldogs as their track record shows they never finish above Samford since we have been in the conference. It's really just too early to predict exact finishes, but again lots of interesting possibilities. I think the one thing that we all can agree on is that the SoCon will be much stronger this year.

It has long been my opinion that elite FCS players are virtually impossible to replace the following season or sometimes several seasons. Sure, someone will play safety for Samford next season. He might be pretty decent. He will not be as good as Tartt.

History would indicate that it is usually a pretty substantial dropoff. Hard just to step into the shoes of a guy that has been one of the league's elite defenders, plays in the middle of the field, and has been a starter for most of his career.

PaladinFan
February 18th, 2015, 11:08 AM
A sure sign the End of Days is upon us.

It will be interesting to see how Hatcher plays out.
He had a great run at Valdosta State.
His great achievement at Georgia Southern was to reverse his imbecilic predecessor's decision to take the football away from his best player and let Jayson Foster make plays.

I'm sure it was more complex than I was making it, but those Georgia Southern teams were as "school yard football" as I have ever seen at the D1 level. Literally seemed like most of their playbook was to snap to Foster and generally design a play one direction or the other. They would occasionally hand it to a lesser ball carrier just to keep things interesting.

parr90
February 18th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I'm sure it was more complex than I was making it, but those Georgia Southern teams were as "school yard football" as I have ever seen at the D1 level. Literally seemed like most of their playbook was to snap to Foster and generally design a play one direction or the other. They would occasionally hand it to a lesser ball carrier just to keep things interesting.

Whatever it takes. Just Win!

SH_Moc
February 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I would like to see Samford, Citadel, and Western Carolina all get in the playoffs. Would be nice to see some new faces from the SoCon get in sometimes other than UTC and possibly Furman every year.

Not sure about this comment, UTC has been to the playoffs once in the last 30 years. Samford, Furman and Wofford made the playoffs in 2013, while Chattanooga was left at home. I don't think you can call for new faces from the SoCon and cite UTC as a playoff regular based on one year of dominance.

walliver
February 18th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Not sure about this comment, UTC has been to the playoffs once in the last 30 years. Samford, Furman and Wofford made the playoffs in 2013, while Chattanooga was left at home. I don't think you can call for new faces from the SoCon and cite UTC as a playoff regular based on one year of dominance.

Unfortunately, Wofford fizzled at the end of 2013 and stayed home. We did make the playoffs in 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012. I don't know why we wouldn't be considered a playoff regular. (referring to the original poster).

On the other hand, for about three years in a row, Chatty was just one play away from a playoff appearance.

Unfortunately for WCU, they have essentially scheduled themselves out of an at-large in 2015 and will need to win the conference title to make the playoffs.

OL FU
February 18th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, Wofford fizzled at the end of 2013 and stayed home. We did make the playoffs in 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012. I don't know why we wouldn't be considered a playoff regular. (referring to the original poster).

On the other hand, for about three years in a row, Chatty was just one play away from a playoff appearance.

Unfortunately for WCU, they have essentially scheduled themselves out of an at-large in 2015 and will need to win the conference title to make the playoffs.

I was thinking the same thing from a different perspective. Furman made the playoffs in 2006 and then went back in 2013. now admittedly before that we were kind of a regular. But I think small college needs to get out of the history books.:)

woffordgrad94
February 19th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I agree with a few things mentioned in this thread: 1) Chattanooga has to go into the 2015 season as the SoCon favorite 2) the conference will be improved from 2014 3) Furman will have a much better year 4) the SoCon should be a multiple bid league in 2015

I have also seen indications that Wofford football is starting to lose ground within the conference in the eyes of quite a few people. This is not surprising given our two mediocre seasons in 2013 and 2014. I think 2015 will be an important season for Wofford. We have let Chattanooga and Western Carolina blow right by us, two teams we used to pencil in as automatic Ws. Now part of that is great work by WCU and Chatty to greatly improve their teams. But another part of it is we at Wofford have failed to keep up with our improving SoCon brethren. We need to make the playoffs or at least be in the playoff mix and the end of the 2015 season in order to earn some respect back. If we cannot do that and we have another mediocre season in 2015 it will be time for someone to be held accountable. But the question is who? Definitely not Mike Ayers. Without him Wofford footbll would have never been relevant at the FCS level at all. Despite the last two seasons, he is one of the best coaches in FCS in my opinion and has earned "untouchble" status. But also in my opinion, I think the offensive coordinator, whose playcalling has been vanilla and predictable lately, should be looked at long and hard if improvements are not made on that side of the ball this fall. In order to make improvements it is important to pinpoint the reason for the struggles, and as mentioned I think the offense and offensive playcalling are a big reason, along with PASS DEFENSE. That is another area that MUST be shored up with the quickness because it was PATHETIC and ATROCIOUS in 2014. If it is not, defensive coaches should start being held accountable and someone should be on the unemployment line as a result. I know firing coaches isn't a cure all and isn't always the answer for improvement, but it sends a message that mediocrity won't be accepted. And that is a message I don't think everyone at Wofford has received.

Milktruck74
February 19th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Ayers seems like a guy that is pretty Loyal to his staff...Is he willing to replace any of his guys? This seems to be an issue on the FCS level more so than the FBS level. HCs at FBS will drop a coordinator like a bad habit to protect their job (other than Phil Fulmer, and we know how that turned out). However on the FCS level HCs seem much less willing to send someone down the river.

chattownmocs
February 19th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Ayers seems like a guy that is pretty Loyal to his staff...Is he willing to replace any of his guys? This seems to be an issue on the FCS level more so than the FBS level. HCs at FBS will drop a coordinator like a bad habit to protect their job (other than Phil Fulmer, and we know how that turned out). However on the FCS level HCs seem much less willing to send someone down the river.
Fulmer had no problem firing randy sanders. Unfortunately firing dave clawson wasn't enough.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Wofford's biggest issue from my view is on the defensive side, particularly in the secondary. I think Wofford plays a lot of bend-don't-break defense, which I do not have a problem with, but they almost seem to bend too easily. In the last two games against Furman, Furman's QBs are 38/52 (73%) for 631 yards. That's from a team that would rather beat you running the ball. Hard to ignore that.

I love watching their offense, though.

walliver
February 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Wofford's biggest issue from my view is on the defensive side, particularly in the secondary. I think Wofford plays a lot of bend-don't-break defense, which I do not have a problem with, but they almost seem to bend too easily. In the last two games against Furman, Furman's QBs are 38/52 (73%) for 631 yards. That's from a team that would rather beat you running the ball. Hard to ignore that.

I love watching their offense, though.

The problem with our defense is that is designed to stop our offense. This comes in handy when playing the Citadel, but causes major issues with everybody else. Our pass defense was horrible early in the season with a loss to a mediocre Gardner-Webb team due to multiple pass interference calls, and a near-loss to North Greenville in which two Noah-type rainstorms delays were required to slow down their offense. With a few coaching adjustments we played better in the secondary the last half of the year, other than the debacle in Traveler's Rest.

On offense, we had a brand new O-line last year (3 5th year seniors chose not to return) and should be better this year. QB play has been fair at best. We have 4 QB's who can run the system, but none of them has broken out from the pack.

After playing at FU, WCU and Chatty for two years in a row due to the SoCon's conference schedule reshuffling (a move our administration was apparently not unhappy with), we get to host Chatty, FU, WCU, and Samford; travelling only to Mercer, VMI and the Citadel. This is a much more favorable schedule.

If a QB is able to take charge of the offense, every non-Clemson game on our schedule is winnable. We have an all D-I schedule with one winnable FBS (Idaho) and we should be back in the playoff hunt this year. Hopefully a conference that routinely used to get 3 teams into a 16 team field, will be able to get 3 teams into the expanded 24-team field.

longtimemocfan
February 19th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Before Huesman took over the program, we were a automatic win for Wofford. Under coach Huesman the series stands 3-3. I thought Wofford played very hard on defense against us last year. They were very well prepared and we had to fight for every yard we got. With Furman and Westerns schedule, I think the top 3 could be in no particular order Chattanooga, Samford and Wofford.