PDA

View Full Version : Valpo football???

blueballs
January 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM
My late first cousin's kid (OLB/S) committed to Valpo yesterday and is signing next Wednesday at 2pm in a ceremony at his (small christian private) school.

I am incredibly proud of the young man he's become both academically and athletically, especially after his dad passed so unexpectedly 6+ years ago, but I must confess I don't know much about Valpo except that they are in the Pioneer conference and the Drews made NCAA hoops history there. What can he expect there? Any feedback would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

NDSUKurt
January 30th, 2015, 10:46 AM
My brother graduated from Valpo a couple of years ago. He told me that the football program is a joke at Valpo. Everyone is more interested in the basketball program.

I have "followed" Valpo and their program because I knew of them from the Bryce Drew season for the NCAA Basketball tourney in the 90's. Then NDSU played them as their first game for the move up from D II to FCS, and we killed them. Since that game, I am always curious to see how bad their program is.

Valpo is usually one of the worst programs in all of FCS. They have scheduled home and home games with D-II teams, and lost to these teams a fair amount in the past few years.

Uncle Rico's Clan
January 30th, 2015, 10:50 AM
My brother graduated from Valpo a couple of years ago. He told me that the football program is a joke at Valpo. Everyone is more interested in the basketball program.

I have "followed" Valpo and their program because I knew of them from the Bryce Drew season for the NCAA Basketball tourney in the 90's. Then NDSU played them as their first game for the move up from D II to FCS, and we killed them. Since that game, I am always curious to see how bad their program is.

Valpo is usually one of the worst programs in all of FCS. They have scheduled home and home games with D-II teams, and lost to these teams a fair amount in the past few years.

It was nice of you to sugar coat it for him.

clenz
January 30th, 2015, 10:51 AM

You just described the entire PFL...that's not a shock to anyone.

Drake has a great history in basketball, a final 4...even if ancient.
Bulter we all know about
Dayton is one of the strongest "mid major" teams in the nation almost yearly
Valpo is a strong "low-mid major" that has a name because of the upset in 97

The rest I don't know about, but I'd imagine they're top half of their conferences yearly.

Lehigh'98
January 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Dave Cecchini is a very good coach. He had lots of success as Lehigh's OC. Granted, he has a tough assignment at Valpo

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Cecchini is doing good things at Valpo, but he's entering Year 2 of his rebuilding process. The first step is to go from where they were (one of the worst teams in FCS) to competitive in the PFL. Last years 4-8 record was a step in the right direction, and I have confidence that they'll do better this year. Cecchini is a great coach, and your nephew is going to be working with some very good coaches that were also at Lehigh with Cecchini.

NDSUKurt
January 30th, 2015, 12:04 PM
It was nice of you to sugar coat it for him.

Sorry, but I just tell it like it is.

RowdyRabbit
January 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
My late first cousin's kid (OLB/S) committed to Valpo yesterday and is signing next Wednesday at 2pm in a ceremony at his (small christian private) school.

I am incredibly proud of the young man he's become both academically and athletically, especially after his dad passed so unexpectedly 6+ years ago, but I must confess I don't know much about Valpo except that they are in the Pioneer conference and the Drews made NCAA hoops history there. What can he expect there? Any feedback would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Losses. He can expect a lot of losses there. Mostly in blow-out fashion.

Though they were in quite a few more games last year and even won 4 did win four of them, which equaled the previous 5 years combined, so they were definitely up last year.

Hopefully they'll continue that this year.

Gater
January 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Have always heard good things about Cecchini. Seems like he has the team going in the right direction. Be excited for your cousin's son. Sounds like he is making his dad (and you) proud. Go Valpo!

carney2
January 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I'm with the Lehigh guys on this one. Valpo head coach Dave Cecchini is a guy with a future. He probably won't make the Crusaders a household name, but I'm betting the days of being a doormat will not be evident during his tenure.

BisonFan02
January 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM
When its all said and done...its a good education at Valpo. The rest is just window dressing.

Bisonoline
January 30th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Have a buddy who coached there. Said if you get close to playing 500 ball they are happy.

Franks Tanks
January 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM
You just described the entire PFL...that's not a shock to anyone.

Drake has a great history in basketball, a final 4...even if ancient.
Bulter we all know about
Dayton is one of the strongest "mid major" teams in the nation almost yearly
Valpo is a strong "low-mid major" that has a name because of the upset in 97

The rest I don't know about, but I'd imagine they're top half of their conferences yearly.

Drake and Dayton have a very good football history as well, although they moved away from the big time years ago

Dayton moved to D-III in 1977 it appears. Dayton actually played Iowa State in 1977 as a D-III school and lost by only 4 points! In 78 Dayton tied Miami (OH). Good thing we didn't have the message boards in the late 70's.

Valpo has been poor for a while. They seem to be making a greater commitment to the program of late and appear to be improving.

nodak651
January 30th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Typical Bison fan ass hole....

BisonFan02
January 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/27/278e78b1abddd5afed7fab7b51e33231c13de24a452c14af0a 46bbf0f2db8a5e.jpg

Clicked on your forum post history....why are you even here?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Hey, dip**** - what did he say that was wrong?

BisonFan02
January 30th, 2015, 04:22 PM
UND/Valpo game thread on SS:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/18503-und-vs-valpo/

NDSUKurt
January 30th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Really? How does my statement make me an A-hole?

I simply gave my opinion, and there appears to be agreement with what I said. If stating what is clearly the truth about the Valpo program makes me an A-hole, then you are the one that has a problem.

You obviously didn't take time to analyze my response. Most fans only look up the info of the teams that they play for that specific year and then forget about them. I do the opposite. I try to learn as much about all teams in FCS, but especially ones that NDSU has played in the past as I am interested in how those programs perform after their game against NDSU. I read up on all of the non-conference teams that NDSU play (past and future) so that I have a better understanding of those teams and how they fit into the FCS landscape.

Model Citizen
January 30th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Valpo is rebuilding, but can win some games on its schedule. Congrats to the young man for choosing a good school and participating in the rebuilding.

If you want to follow the PFL, I suggest using Google to find the Proboards PFL fan board. More knowledge, less adolescent hostility.

RichH2
January 30th, 2015, 07:48 PM
I'm betting that Valpo decided to resurrect their football by hiring Dave and his staff. They will build a program that will score points and win games.

Catsfan90
January 30th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I'm betting that Valpo decided to resurrect their football by hiring Dave and his staff. They will build a program that will score points and win games.
What's the point if their still in the PFL?

clenz
January 30th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Not every school wants MVFC or Big Sky level.

What's you're take on Montana State building a Big Sky power in basketball?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Catsfan90
January 30th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Not every school wants MVFC or Big Sky level.

What's you're take on Montana State building a Big Sky power in basketball?

Fair enough, and I honestly didn't mean it as putting them down. I just meant that it doesn't seem like the pfl gives a hoot. Idk much about big sky basketball, as I don't follow basketball whatsoever.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 30th, 2015, 09:32 PM

Resident retard is back....STFU!

clenz
January 30th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Fair enough, and I honestly didn't mean it as putting them down. I just meant that it doesn't seem like the pfl gives a hoot. Idk much about big sky basketball, as I don't follow basketball whatsoever.

My point with Big Sky basketball...

Why should anyone in the Big Sky try to build a successful basketball program? It's still the Big Sky, which finishes bottom 6 or 7 in RPI every single year.

You see how ridiculous that starts to sound?

nodak651
January 30th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Really? How does my statement make me an A-hole?

I simply gave my opinion, and there appears to be agreement with what I said. If stating what is clearly the truth about the Valpo program makes me an A-hole, then you are the one that has a problem.

You obviously didn't take time to analyze my response. Most fans only look up the info of the teams that they play for that specific year and then forget about them. I do the opposite. I try to learn as much about all teams in FCS, but especially ones that NDSU has played in the past as I am interested in how those programs perform after their game against NDSU. I read up on all of the non-conference teams that NDSU play (past and future) so that I have a better understanding of those teams and how they fit into the FCS landscape.

I'm not saying you were incorrect or uneducated. The guy was excited for his cousin, and you just took a big steaming **** on him. You don't think there could have been a nicer way to articulate that Valpo isn't very good?

dewey
January 30th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Congratulations to you late cousins son on playing division 1 football! That is something to be very proud of!

Dewey

saxbison
January 31st, 2015, 01:27 AM
Why must every thread become a ****show during the off season?

NDSUKurt
January 31st, 2015, 03:36 AM
I'm not saying you were incorrect or uneducated. The guy was excited for his cousin, and you just took a big steaming **** on him. You don't think there could have been a nicer way to articulate that Valpo isn't very good?

I was in no way slamming blueballs or his first cousin's kid. Playing D I football at any program is difficult to do, and I am happy for him and the opportunity that he has.

He specifically asked about Valpo and their program. Perhaps I should have mentioned the improvement that Valpo has made over the last season or so. However, I am not going to blow smoke up his a** and make Valpo and their program out to be better than it really is. You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd.

I personally hope that Valpo can turn things around and get that program going. If they stay on their current trajectory, they could be competing for the Pioneer League title in a few years, right when his first cousin's kid is playing and making a difference.

dgtw
January 31st, 2015, 05:55 AM
Congratulations to you late cousins son on playing division 1 football! That is something to be very proud of!

Dewey

Amen. Congrats to your cousin for what he has accomplished. Good luck to him in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2015, 06:22 AM
When you say Valpo .... sailors think of a colorful port in Chile

Catsfan90
January 31st, 2015, 10:53 AM
My point with Big Sky basketball...

Why should anyone in the Big Sky try to build a successful basketball program? It's still the Big Sky, which finishes bottom 6 or 7 in RPI every single year.

You see how ridiculous that starts to sound?
I definitely see your point and I 100% share it as well. I probably should have explained deeper what I meant. It just seems to me that the pioneer league doesn't take themselves seriously, and therefore its to bad that no matter how hard a team tries, or improves they are still stuck in their current situation.

I don't see how that compares to the big sky? A conference that is extremely interested in succeeding and improving.

heath
January 31st, 2015, 02:05 PM
PFL is the weakest league out there, and no schollies. But if playing at the FCS level is what you want then it is a bottom feeder. Chick is a good coach, but will not be there long. Had to leave at the right time to come back at the right time at Lehigh. Football is football,so be happy and enjoy any family member that gets to play at the college level.

ngineer
January 31st, 2015, 04:18 PM
Hiring Cecchini showed that Valpo is serious about resurrecting their football program. Anyone playing for him will learn alot and be treated well. You should be proud that he's going to play for a good school and can be part of the rebuilding process. It has to start somewhere. Valpo took USD, the PFL champ last year, to the wire in California near the end of the season,so it was clear the kids were fighting to the end. If Cecchini turns Valpo around in the next couple years, he will likely be off to greener pastures, so enjoy him while he's there.

Go...gate
January 31st, 2015, 08:12 PM
When its all said and done...its a good education at Valpo. The rest is just window dressing.

Right. The young man will get an excellent education, which will serve him long after his football days have ended.

citdog
February 1st, 2015, 01:25 AM
This is more attention than Valpo football has gotten in the last 15 years combined.

citdog
February 1st, 2015, 01:27 AM
Hiring Cecchini showed that Valpo is serious about resurrecting their football program. Anyone playing for him will learn alot and be treated well. You should be proud that he's going to play for a good school and can be part of the rebuilding process. It has to start somewhere. Valpo took USD, the PFL champ last year, to the wire in California near the end of the season,so it was clear the kids were fighting to the end. If Cecchini turns Valpo around in the next couple years, he will likely be off to greener pastures, so enjoy him while he's there.

Coach Linguini is a good one! He's a good offensive mind.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2015, 09:29 AM
Coach Linguini is a good one! He's a good offensive mind.

Yes, coach Cecchini, who was run out of Charleston and then proceeded to help Lehigh to a 36-6 record and first round wins over Northern Iowa and Towson. Thank goodness Lehigh's AD knows a good offensive mind when he sees it xlolx

RichH2
February 1st, 2015, 10:31 AM
4 yrs at Valpo,then back to LU,yup that's the plan xnodx xdrunkyx

ngineer
February 1st, 2015, 10:47 AM
4 yrs at Valpo,then back to LU,yup that's the plan xnodx xdrunkyx

You're assuming Andy can't get back on the beam?

RichH2
February 1st, 2015, 12:06 PM
You're assuming Andy can't get back on the beam?
Not at all. Andy gets promoted,Ceech comes in.

blueballs
February 1st, 2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the input, y'all. I really appreciate it.

The Valpo decision came out of left field a little considering his dad played hoops at Stetson and his granddad played hoops and was an assistant at Stetson. I really thought it would be a natural progression for him.

Nevertheless, he's as tough as boot leather, a great kid, and an outstanding student. He'll do well there.

dgtw
February 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Does the kid live in Indiana?

blueballs
February 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM
Does the kid live in Indiana?

Maitland, FL

Sycamore62
February 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM

Agreed, If you aren't trying to get to the P5 conferences then you should drop football and kill yourself.

Libertine
February 3rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
Agreed, If you aren't trying to get to the P5 conferences then you should drop football and kill yourself.

xlolx

carney2
February 3rd, 2015, 09:27 AM
Chick is a good coach, but will not be there long. Had to leave at the right time to come back at the right time at Lehigh.

The Squawkers are so convinced of this that they are beginning to write it in ink. I'm not so sure.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
Valpo's schedule just came out and for them it's going to be a very challenging slate (EKU, San Diego, Sacred Heart):

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/02/03/valparaiso-to-receive-early-tests-in-2015/

They will get a win versus CoF, but after that, it's anyone's guess. If they repeat 4-8 that will be a successful year, no doubt. A win over EKU or even SHU would be the best the program has had in a long time.

heath
February 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Valpo's schedule just came out and for them it's going to be a very challenging slate (EKU, San Diego, Sacred Heart):

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/02/03/valparaiso-to-receive-early-tests-in-2015/

They will get a win versus CoF, but after that, it's anyone's guess. If they repeat 4-8 that will be a successful year, no doubt. A win over EKU or even SHU would be the best the program has had in a long time.
Lehigh played Drake in 2010,but why don't more PL teams play PFL yearly. Its almost a guaranteed win,but yes most/or all will be a plane flight. Is that the issue,travel cost?For those teams not making the playoffs it gives them the experience to travel. Lehigh flew to Liberty,why not Dayton?

Bill
February 3rd, 2015, 12:23 PM
The Squawkers are so convinced of this that they are beginning to write it in ink. I'm not so sure.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice !

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Lehigh played Drake in 2010,but why don't more PL teams play PFL yearly. Its almost a guaranteed win,but yes most/or all will be a plane flight. Is that the issue,travel cost?For those teams not making the playoffs it gives them the experience to travel. Lehigh flew to Liberty,why not Dayton?

I went to Liberty and it was an experience I thoroughly enjoyed, and I know people who went to UNI, NDSU, and Drake from plane flights - I enjoy them (if I can clear my schedule to do them). Cost is part of the equation but so is the return game - if people aren't going to show up when UNH comes to the Valley, how are folks going to convince home fans to come out to see Drake or Dayton?

When Drake came to Lehigh they didn't bring many people, and there wasn't a big Drake alumni presence in Pennsylvania, so it wasn't a big event. It did give Lehigh a win, though.

heath
February 3rd, 2015, 12:40 PM
I went to Liberty and it was an experience I thoroughly enjoyed, and I know people who went to UNI, NDSU, and Drake from plane flights - I enjoy them (if I can clear my schedule to do them). Cost is part of the equation but so is the return game - if people aren't going to show up when UNH comes to the Valley, how are folks going to convince home fans to come out to see Drake or Dayton?

When Drake came to Lehigh they didn't bring many people, and there wasn't a big Drake alumni presence in Pennsylvania, so it wasn't a big event. It did give Lehigh a win, though.
I guess kinda like a Georgetown gamexlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 3rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
And you know UNH will bring a decent crowd to Goodman. Are you negotiating another series so Pelletier gets a Homecoming game?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
And you know UNH will bring a decent crowd to Goodman. Are you negotiating another series so Pelletier gets a Homecoming game?

UNH brings a decent crowd, but no more than 2K. Drake doesn't bring that many.

And hey, I love when UNH comes to town! Especially last time :D

UAalum72
February 3rd, 2015, 02:59 PM

Since Marist joined the Pioneer League in 2009, they've played Bucknell and/or Georgetown every year, a total of 11 times in six seasons. From 2000-09, while in the MAAC, Marist played them and every other PL team except Lehigh another 18 times.

Model Citizen
February 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
...why don't more PL teams play PFL yearly. Its almost a guaranteed win...

Since Marist joined the Pioneer League in 2009, they've played Bucknell and/or Georgetown every year, a total of 11 times in six seasons.

Bucknell/Georgetown won 8 and lost 3. Keep in mind that Marist has only had winning PFL records in 2 of those 6 seasons.

citdog
February 3rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
why don't the patsy and pioneer hold hands together in Division III where they belong?

PAllen
February 3rd, 2015, 08:54 PM

Lehigh flew to Liberty? Where the F did they fly into? I know it's a longer bus ride than normal, but by the time you're on the plane, you're in Harrisburg, by the time you're off the plane, you're in VA on 81, I can't imagine there'd be that much of a difference in travel time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2015, 11:49 PM
Lehigh flew to Liberty? Where the F did they fly into? I know it's a longer bus ride than normal, but by the time you're on the plane, you're in Harrisburg, by the time you're off the plane, you're in VA on 81, I can't imagine there'd be that much of a difference in travel time.

I'm pretty sure an alum ponied up the money. This is what I was referring to in the PL thread....

My guess is you fly into Roanoke?

Libertine
February 4th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Lehigh flew to Liberty? Where the F did they fly into?

They flew into Lynchburg. Lynchburg Regional Airport is less than a mile from campus and can handle anything up to and including 737's.

PAllen
February 4th, 2015, 07:45 AM
They flew into Lynchburg. Lynchburg Regional Airport is less than a mile from campus and can handle anything up to and including 737's.

Didn't know that Lynchburg Regional could handle anything that big. I know they have commuter service, but if they could handle a 737, then that makes sense (assuming an alum is ponying up the charter costs).

Lehigh'98
February 4th, 2015, 07:45 AM
This thread is right on the edge of a Patriot League hijack. With a little more effort, we are right there. How many PL/PFL matchups do we have in 2015. Lehigh's defense resembles a Pioneer team.

PAllen
February 4th, 2015, 09:16 AM
This thread is right on the edge of a Patriot League hijack. With a little more effort, we are right there. How many PL/PFL matchups do we have in 2015. Lehigh's defense resembles a high school JV team.

FIFY

Libertine
February 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Didn't know that Lynchburg Regional could handle anything that big.

Understandable. Team charter flights are pretty much the only time that Lynchburg Regional ever sees a 737 but it does happen.

Well, also, the bi-annual Air Force One practice runs.

jimbo65
February 4th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Have a buddy who coached there. Said if you get close to playing 500 ball they are happy.
Sounds like Fordham Basketball. Thing is, our current coach has not gotten close to 500 in his five years at $700,000 per year.

ngineer
February 4th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Not at all. Andy gets promoted,Ceech comes in.

I guess Andy is young enough to still move on if he wants. Will certainly require a turnaround from last year, which I hope occurs for his an our sakes.

ngineer
February 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM
why don't the patsy and pioneer hold hands together in Division III where they belong?

Come to think of it, The Citadel could petition the NCAA to create a Division IV and be it's charter, founding and only member. That way, the 'cits' can do what they do best.....play with themselves. (;-)

blackbeard
February 4th, 2015, 12:56 PM
This thread is right on the edge of a Patriot League hijack. With a little more effort, we are right there. How many PL/PFL matchups do we have in 2015. Lehigh's defense resembles a Pioneer team.

Of course it is, this is AGS

Laker
February 4th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Drake and Dayton have a very good football history as well, although they moved away from the big time years ago

Dayton moved to D-III in 1977 it appears. Dayton actually played Iowa State in 1977 as a D-III school and lost by only 4 points! In 78 Dayton tied Miami (OH). Good thing we didn't have the message boards in the late 70's.

Valpo has been poor for a while. They seem to be making a greater commitment to the program of late and appear to be improving.

I was at that game! Earle Bruce was coaching the Cyclones back then. They were 8-4 that year. I was surprised that the game was even close, but Dayton was still loaded with talent.

citdog
February 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Come to think of it, The Citadel could petition the NCAA to create a Division IV and be it's charter, founding and only member. That way, the 'cits' can do what they do best.....play with themselves. (;-)

We'd leave and then a couple of months later you would nvade us with an army
and say we didn't have the right to leave.

BisonFan02
February 5th, 2015, 01:52 AM
We'd leave and then a couple of months later you would nvade us with an army
and say we didn't have the right to leave.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9a/a4/ee/9aa4ee0709f49da2fcc703383dd6bac0.jpg

ramMan
February 9th, 2015, 03:34 PM

Good luck to your cousin, blueballs. No doubt he'll receive a good education at Valpo, a school with a fine academic reputation (ranked #5 by US News in the Regional Universities [Midwest] category). That said, I went to my first Valpo football game last November versus a bad Butler team and was unimpressed by the level of play (by both teams), game day atmosphere, facilities, etc. First off, although the announced attendance for the game was 1,867, there appeared to be less than 1,000 fans in the stands. (BTW, according to Valpo's website, their football stadium, Brown Field, seats 5,000. IMO, the stadium's capacity is in the range of 3,000 to 4,000.) Second, there appeared to be few upgrades to the stadium since it opened in 1919. (ProGrass was installed a few years back as well as lights and a new scoreboard, but that's about it.) Also, only a couple of rows of students were in attendance, tailgating was almost nonexistent, and there were less than a dozen students in their pep band. However, Valpo is serious about its men's basketball program. I went to a game there a few years back against a bad MEAC team and the place was packed with loud, boisterous fans. Many of them were locals out to support the hometown team. Back to football, I'm confident Dave Cecchini and his staff will turn the Valpo program around. I'll be rooting for them. Go Valpo!

blueballs
February 9th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Good luck to your cousin, blueballs. No doubt he'll receive a good education at Valpo, a school with a fine academic reputation (ranked #5 by US News in the Regional Universities [Midwest] category). That said, I went to my first Valpo football game last November versus a bad Butler team and was unimpressed by the level of play (by both teams), game day atmosphere, facilities, etc. First off, although the announced attendance for the game was 1,867, there appeared to be less than 1,000 fans in the stands. (BTW, according to Valpo's website, their football stadium, Brown Field, seats 5,000. IMO, the stadium's capacity is in the range of 3,000 to 4,000.) Second, there appeared to be few upgrades to the stadium since it opened in 1919. (ProGrass was installed a few years back as well as lights and a new scoreboard, but that's about it.) Also, only a couple of rows of students were in attendance, tailgating was almost nonexistent, and there were less than a dozen students in their pep band. However, Valpo is serious about its men's basketball program. I went to a game there a few years back against a bad MEAC team and the place was packed with loud, boisterous fans. Many of them were locals out to support the home town team. Back to football, I'm confident Dave Cecchini and his staff will turn the Valpo program around. I'll be rooting for them. Go Valpo!

So what you're telling me is that I'd better carry bail money with me when I go to a game in the fall there.... It sure doesn't sound like what I'm used to at Georgia Southern as far as game day atmosphere is concerned.

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I can't speak for other PFL schools but Drake, Butler and Valpo are all essentially club teams that are the ignored by the university to not detract from men's hoops. They keep football only because it was already there and live in a football crazed part of the nation.

ramMan
February 9th, 2015, 07:04 PM
It sure doesn't sound like what I'm used to at Georgia Southern as far as game day atmosphere is concerned.

Yep, I hear ya. I was expecting more in terms of game day experience, considering it was a rivalry game. (Butler and Valpo were playing for the Hoosier Helmet Trophy.) It's one of the reasons why we chose to go to that game. We had better options that weekend (e.g., B1G and MAC games).

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2015, 07:38 PM
So what you're telling me is that I'd better carry bail money with me when I go to a game in the fall there.... It sure doesn't sound like what I'm used to at Georgia Southern as far as game day atmosphere is concerned.

And it's even harder to tailgate when there are no parking lots.

citdog
February 10th, 2015, 12:34 AM

you're probably right. nobody there will be humping their first cousin

kdinva
February 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM
you're probably right. nobody there will be humping their first cousin

xlmaox