PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth recruiting

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2015, 11:44 AM
http://www.anchorofgold.com/2015/1/23/7878217/well-we-just-lost-a-commit-to-dartmouth

If there was any serious thought that the Ivy League gets below-average athletes, this ought to set that straight.

SUPharmacist
January 23rd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Because when I think big time athletes I think Vanderbilt football. This does nothing to change my opinion of Ivy League football in any direction. The only way the ivy league can demonstrate the quality of their athletes is to play more games outside of the region (true barometer would be playoff performance). Their decision to play the schedules they do will always leave them as an unknown variable that a lot of people will undervalue and some will overvalue.

Pard4Life
January 23rd, 2015, 03:45 PM
Again, mainly the PL fans are able to give a respectable barometer of Ivy teams vs the rest of the FCS. We play them annually. Of course we can't say for certain if Harvard can beat UNH etc

bonarae
January 23rd, 2015, 04:24 PM
The only way the ivy league can demonstrate the quality of their athletes is to play more games outside of the region (true barometer would be playoff performance). Their decision to play the schedules they do will always leave them as an unknown variable that a lot of people will undervalue and some will overvalue.

That's why the value of an Ivy education to a player somewhat overshadows the insular state of Ivy football, for reasons many of us will never understand. xsmhx

Go Green
January 23rd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Turning out out to be one of Dartmouth's best recruiting classes ever.

I count 10 guys with FBS offers. And counting. Usually its half that.

Of course, we still need to find a way to beat Harvard....

ValleyTalk
January 23rd, 2015, 08:04 PM
Vito Penza from Youngstown Ursuline is an outstanding student-athlete. He will do well at Dartmouth.

Go Green
January 23rd, 2015, 09:28 PM
Vito Penza from Youngstown Ursuline is an outstanding student-athlete. He will do well at Dartmouth.

He's one of the 10 with a FBS offer (Eastern Michigan).

Can he play QB? I know he's an "athlete." We're going to need someone to replace Dalyn Williams after 2015. Right now, we don't have anyone even close to replicating Williams' production on the roster.

UNHWildcat18
January 23rd, 2015, 11:52 PM
Again, mainly the PL fans are able to give a respectable barometer of Ivy teams vs the rest of the FCS. We play them annually. Of course we can't say for certain if Harvard can beat UNH etc

UNH vs Harvard this year would have been a blowout IMO, but I think the ivies are going to keep increasing their competitiveness with better athletes over time and catch up with other divisions

ValleyTalk
January 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
He's one of the 10 with a FBS offer (Eastern Michigan).

Can he play QB? I know he's an "athlete." We're going to need someone to replace Dalyn Williams after 2015. Right now, we don't have anyone even close to replicating Williams' production on the roster.
I wouldn't highlight the fact he was offered from EMU. It is an FBS offer in name only. EMU would be a bottom feeder in the Valley.

He played QB for the first time ever his senior year. His numbers weren't pretty. He is a RB/LB all the way. Also an outstanding punter. His brother Vince punted at Toledo.

bulldog10jw
January 24th, 2015, 10:16 PM

You hope

citdog
January 24th, 2015, 10:20 PM
ivy league football sucks. time for them to either get in the playoffs or get the hell out

Go...gate
January 25th, 2015, 12:40 AM

I count 10 guys with FBS offers. And counting. Usually its half that.

Of course, we still need to find a way to beat Harvard....

And you should start playing Colgate again....

Bisonoline
January 25th, 2015, 01:38 AM
ivy league football sucks. time for them to either get in the playoffs or get the hell out

Hell they could be like the swac. xnodx

Catsfan90
January 25th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Hell they could be like the swac. xnodx
Swac/ meac/ ivy challenge.

Go Green
January 25th, 2015, 06:35 AM
And you should start playing Colgate again....

Be careful what you wish for. This isn't 2000s Dartmouth anymore.

In any event, I thought you guys were all about playing more FBS games these days. You want to abandon that already?

Go Green
January 25th, 2015, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't highlight the fact he was offered from EMU. It is an FBS offer in name only. EMU would be a bottom feeder in the Valley.

He played QB for the first time ever his senior year. His numbers weren't pretty. He is a RB/LB all the way. Also an outstanding punter. His brother Vince punted at Toledo.

I get what you're saying about EMU. But "FBS" still carries a lot of currency. The Yale guys on the Ivy board are going to be making a BFD about their victory over Army for a couple of years, even though Army was--at best--the third best team played by an Ivy team this season.

As for Penza, I get he can run and he's a tough guy. If he can work on throwing the ball, then Dartmouth will be golden. As I said, the other QBs we have don't look like anything special after Williams graduates. Maybe we can get some transfer...

Go Green
January 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Penza certainly seems like he wants to give QB a shot. (Thanks to the Dartmouth GreenAlertFootball blog).

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/26/chance-of-a-lifetime/

And while it might not have been diplomatic for him to suggest that we don't have anybody good after Dalyn Williams, he's not wrong.

dwtime
January 28th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Columbia is going to be picking up a big time QB from here in Indiana, Kyle Castner. Played on the top state team Ben Davis, I think the count now is 12 D1 commits for that school this year. He was the best QB in the state 3400 yards his senior year and 52 TD passes total the last two seasons playing at the highest level of HS football in Indiana and playing some of the top Ohio schools like St. Xavier and Moeller. Knock on him is his unorthodox throwing style (52 TD's against the best competition? Who cares) and he has type 1 Diabetes (hasn't stopped Jay Cutler another Indiana HS QB). Columbia got a real steal there and should really build an offense around him.

bulldog10jw
January 28th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Columbia is going to be picking up a big time QB from here in Indiana, Kyle Castner. Played on the top state team Ben Davis, I think the count now is 12 D1 commits for that school this year. He was the best QB in the state 3400 yards his senior year and 52 TD passes total the last two seasons playing at the highest level of HS football in Indiana and playing some of the top Ohio schools like St. Xavier and Moeller. Knock on him is his unorthodox throwing style (52 TD's against the best competition? Who cares) and he has type 1 Diabetes (hasn't stopped Jay Cutler another Indiana HS QB). Columbia got a real steal there and should really build an offense around him.

Let's hope they recruit a line to protect him.

Go Green
January 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Let's hope they recruit a line to protect him.

That's been an issue for Columbia for some time. They've had talent at QB. But the poor guys have been target practice for opposing defenses.

dwtime
January 28th, 2015, 09:15 PM
That's been an issue for Columbia for some time. They've had talent at QB. But the poor guys have been target practice for opposing defenses.

I was surprised some team with a good offense didn't pick him up, low risk for a potential high reward.