PDA

View Full Version : Which would rather win: your rivalry game or the national championship?

kardplayer
November 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
This morning's Mike and Mike discussion was largely about Ohio State/Michigan and whether their fans would rather win this weekend or the BCS Championship game, given the choice. Emailers were about 2:1 in favor of this Saturday's game (at least at the time I was listening).

There was some other discussion about Red Sox/Yankees, and I sent an email in about Lehigh/Lafayette (don't know if it made it on the air). It got me to wondering what the folks on the board think.

Go Apps
November 16th, 2006, 11:46 AM
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ?

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Since we don't have a major rival, I gotta go with National Championship.

I'd also think that if we did have a big rival, I'd still rather win the National Championship.

The problem with that question at the I-A level is you almost HAVE to win the game with the rival to have a chance at the NC game. Not so in I-AA.

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Emailers were about 2:1 in favor of this Saturday's game (at least at the time I was listening).
I think the fact that both are undefeated, the answers are very skewed.

Walkon79
November 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
The Brawl is huge, and MSU has returned to respectability with wins in 3 out of the last 4, and 5 straight winning seasons, but this is one fan who wants what the Griz have:

A realistic chance almost annually to make a deep playoff run, and take a shot at the NC.

Honestly, if we could go 10-1, with the one loss coming in the Brawl, but still be playing in December, I'd be a happy fan.

GrizFoo
November 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
NC baby. Sure, we'd have to listen to cat fans all year and how they beat us, and how the NC should have been theirs. But I'll take the smack and the NC trophy any day.

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I would rather win the rivalry game.

But what other choice is there for Y and H.: smh :

Retro
November 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
This is a no brainer... You get another shot at your rival every year, but very few chances to win the national championship.. In addition, once you win it, your always that years national championship.. Rivalry games are big, but not bigger than being the best in all the country!:hurray:

3rd Coast Tiger
November 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Being the financial analyst that I am:

Before I answer, would someone please tell me how profitable was it for Appalachian State's national championship run last year? Thanks!

Death Dealer
November 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
NC, no doubt, problem is when your in the SOCON, you pretty much are guaranteed to have to beat one of your rivals at least once to make it to Chatty, because GSU and Appy are generally in the chase as well (yes, I know, this year is an exception).

OL FU
November 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
NC, no doubt, problem is when your in the SOCON, you pretty much are guaranteed to have to beat one of your rivals at least once to make it to Chatty, because GSU and Appy are generally in the chase as well (yes, I know, this year is an exception).

Yeah but we beat the Citadel something like 9 out of 10 times:smiley_wi

bison95
November 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Don't have a Rivalry game, and cna't play for a National Championship:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Appstate29
November 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I'd take the national championship, because as stated earlier; you are probably going to have to beat either GSU or FU to get there. And CCC is really boring now.

Retro
November 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Being the financial analyst that I am:

Before I answer, would someone please tell me how profitable was it for Appalachian State's national championship run last year? Thanks!

A lot more than Texas Southern or any SWAC school actually brings in!

Winning the national title brings in more revenue from Licensed Merchandise sales and will entice more alumni to put more money into the school. Schools can also profit if they sellout their home playoff games in larger stadiums like App's! Attendance for all their games also stayed at or near sellouts this season... Also, helps recruit the best athletes!

3rd Coast Tiger
November 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM
A lot more than Texas Southern or any SWAC school actually brings in!

Winning the national title brings in more revenue from Licensed Merchandise sales and will entice more alumni to put more money into the school. Schools can also profit if they sellout their home playoff games in larger stadiums like App's! Attendance for all their games also stayed at or near sellouts this season... Also, helps recruit the best athletes!

Hey thanks for the smart ass remark. :thumbsup:

So again, I ask the question, can someone please tell me how much did Appalachian State clear last year?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I doubt App St made much at all in the games themselves.

At JMU, we saw much of what Retro was talking about. Huge sales in merchandise the following year, Record season ticket sales that have continued this year, increased donations to the DukeClub (helps support all athletic scholarships at JMU), better recruiting - which in turn leads to a greater probability of winning - and increased media publicity.

Many of these things can be accounted for financially, some cannot. They all contribute to bringing the school more dollars. The month of the playoffs itself is not where any money is made. Period. Without sponsorships and more TV contracts, it will always be this way. Big reason for the anti-Playoff crowd in I-A land. Now March Madness - That's playing for money for both your school and your conference.

FlyYtown
November 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
YSU's rivals are whimps and refuse to play us: they go by the name of Kent and Akron.... Winning the National Championship and shoving it in their face is priceless!

Peems
November 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
how bout beat your rival in the NC? of course that would never happen...

3rd Coast Tiger
November 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I doubt App St made much at all in the games themselves.

At JMU, we saw much of what Retro was talking about. Huge sales in merchandise the following year, Record season ticket sales that have continued this year, increased donations to the DukeClub (helps support all athletic scholarships at JMU), better recruiting - which in turn leads to a greater probability of winning - and increased media publicity.

Many of these things can be accounted for financially, some cannot. They all contribute to bringing the school more dollars. The month of the playoffs itself is not where any money is made. Period. Without sponsorships and more TV contracts, it will always be this way. Big reason for the anti-Playoff crowd in I-A land. Now March Madness - That's playing for money for both your school and your conference.

Thanks for your honest input JMU2K_DukeDawg.

With the way the NCAA currently structures Division I-AA football, for my alma mater, I would say the playoffs. We play our rival at the beginning of the season so this would not impede with the playoffs.

Fellas, just because I'm SWAC don't stereotype me.

HensRock
November 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Emailers were about 2:1 in favor of this Saturday's game

Yes, they are both undefeated, but...
That's also because I-A does not have a REAL championship game!

blueballs
November 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM
In 2000 GSU went to Furman having lost only the season opener to Georgia by a 29-7 count and was on an 8 game winning streak. Adrian Peterson had a hyperextended elbow and didn't play for GSU that day.

It was Furman's homecoming and they turned a 10-7 game at the half into a 45-10 whuppin' and absolutely embarassed the defending national champions. Louis Ivory rushed for over 300 yards and all the Furman folks were very proud, and rightfully so.

Six weeks later GSU defeated Montana in the quagmire to win the NC in a thriller. The embarassing loss at Furman was a very distant memory and in no way tainted the championship.

When it was all said and done nobody cared that we had been drilled at Furman the month before, all we cared about was winning the big prize.

ysubigred
November 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
YSU's rivals are whimps and refuse to play us: they go by the name of Kent and Akron.... Winning the National Championship and shoving it in their face is priceless!

You beat me to it Fly :thumbsup: I guess the only team we consider a rival now is UNI Only because we can't seem to beat the dirty rotten so and so's :bang: :hurray:

CCU97
November 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out any of these 6 people voted for their rivalry game and not a NC....Isn't that what we all play for each year...sure a win in a rivalry is nice....and of course we really want both....but if we can have one or the other...the big prize is the NC...not some rivalry game that has no bearing on who the NC will be....

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
i vote for the NC...

poly51
November 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Don't have a Rivalry game, and cna't play for a National Championship:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

You don't have a rivalry game but UND is coming.

MTGrizzFan
November 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM
no question.....national championship

however...both years we've won it we've beat the kittys so that makes it extra sweet.

Ronbo
November 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I see three cat fans have voted.xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think those voting rivalry see no way that their team will ever make the trip to Chatty in December. That being the case, I could see why the rivaly is more important.

Still, if anyone has been to a NC Game, you understand - with all due respect to the author - that this question borders on the ridiculous. :nod:

Even if JMU had lost that game in 2004 to Montana, just the atmosphere, the fans from other schools, etc. brought out the best in I-AA. I would be even more determined to see my school somehow return to the NC Game and bring home a victory.

Rivalries are great because of the fans and the understanding that 9 of 10 games will be nailbiters, heartbreakers, and full of intense bone-crushing hits. But the NC is something no one can ever take away from your school. The pride lasts forever, not just one season.:twocents:

November 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM
... Winning the national title brings in more revenue from Licensed Merchandise sales and will entice more alumni to put more money into the school. Schools can also profit if they sellout their home playoff games in larger stadiums like App's! Attendance for all their games also stayed at or near sellouts this season... Also, helps recruit the best athletes!I think I read that merchandise sales were over $1mil better than the previous years and same for donations. Attendance continued very high and recruiting reportedly was definetly easier.

bison95
November 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM
You don't have a rivalry game but UND is coming.

We will see, they have been known to change their minds:D :rotateh:

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I would rather win the rivalry game.

But what other choice is there for Y and H.: smh :

Agreed! Free the Ivies!:nod:

kardplayer
November 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM
...Still, if anyone has been to a NC Game, you understand - with all due respect to the author - that this question borders on the ridiculous. :nod:

All due respect appreciated :nod: :nod:

My point was to see what the difference was between those that fight to do well in computers and polls to get into a 1 game (I-A) vs. those that fight to convince a room full of people or win an autobid to get into a playoff (I-AA).

The Ohio State/Michigan fans were very clear that this weekend's game is more important to them than winning the BCS Championship - in what I'm certain is as electric an atmosphere as Chatty.

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I want to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, that's what everybody wants, but at the same time if you lose to your rival, you gotta hear that ***** all year long.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
The Brawl is huge, and MSU has returned to respectability with wins in 3 out of the last 4, and 5 straight winning seasons, but this is one fan who wants what the Griz have:

A realistic chance almost annually to make a deep playoff run, and take a shot at the NC.

Honestly, if we could go 10-1, with the one loss coming in the Brawl, but still be playing in December, I'd be a happy fan.

Ditto. Mike Kramer would also say the same.:nod:

BillLuc1982
November 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

UMass922
November 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
UMass doesn't have a rivalry game, and even if it did, the easy answer for me would still be winning a national championship.

However, I do find myself fantasizing often about a UMass-UConn football rivalry. I-A doesn't have a big-time New England rivalry, and I would love for UMass-UConn to be it . . . it's the main thing I would like about UMass moving to I-A and joining the Big East.

But that's a pipe-dream, and I'm more than happy with UMass having the chance to compete for the I-AA championship every year. Too bad UConn gave up on that chance themselves just when they were starting to get good. I am at least happy, though, that we absolutely smoked the Huskies in '99 in our final meeting with them--especially since they beat us twice during our '98 championship season.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM
NC.....no brainer.

grizwin
November 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I heard that dumb converstaionon Mike n mike. Ya right like osu goes 1-10 every year with win over michigan and boosters would be happy lammmmmmme. Plain and simple people who dont like sports might say they want to win rival game instead BUT ALL real fans want o be #1!!!NATIONAL CHAMPS!!! Lose to kittens next 10 years and win national championship the next 10 years Sign me UP!!!!!! GOOD THING WE GET TO DO BOTH THIS YEAR GRIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I heard that dumb converstaionon Mike n mike. Ya right like osu goes 1-10 every year with win over michigan and boosters would be happy lammmmmmme. Plain and simple people who dont like sports might say they want to win rival game instead BUT ALL real fans want o be #1!!!NATIONAL CHAMPS!!! Lose to kittens next 10 years and win national championship the next 10 years Sign me UP!!!!!! GOOD THING WE GET TO DO BOTH THIS YEAR GRIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Grizz.............I thought App State already had the trophy presentation...

Oops....maybe this should have been posted on the smack board..

Go Dukes

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
This is like choosing between a Hershey Kiss and a chocolate rabbit....

Go to IA and join the Sun Belt or Conference USA if all you care about is winning one or two particular games a year and don't care about your national standing. The point that the GSU poster above made about GSU's big loss to Furman in 2000 was right, I was ready to get them back the following year, but I don't think there was a single GSU fan who didn't feel vindicated when we won it all that year. Ditto with the App State loss in '99.

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
National Championship. We haven't won one in 23 years and I am getting a bit impatient.
Coach Kill stated 2 goals at the beginning of the season, beating Indiana and winning the national title. One down, one to go.
:hurray:

GAD
November 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM
A Championship- "It don't mean a thing if you ain't got the ring"

poly51
November 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I would rather see my team win the national championship. (Unless Cal Poly played Fresno State again). You have most rivalry games every year.

Of course if you are the coach you better win the rivalry games too. Former Cal Poly quarterback Ted Tollner was the head coach at USC from 1983 to 1986. He won a Pac 10 title and won a Rose Bowl. But he never beat Notre Dame or UCLA so he was replaced.

Mountaineer#96
November 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM
We will be your huckleberry.....WCU doesn't count as a rivalry out here for us, lets get something started with the Bison