PDA

View Full Version : NEW INFO... San Diego Playoff Update!

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Word on the inside is Harbaugh will probably be around for another year at least. Although his name is expected to come up for several jobs this off-season, maybe even an interview or two. If it is something really good... he would take it. If not, he'll be back to Alcala Park. Harbaugh thinks he will have more leverage in another year... plus he thinks next years team will be head and shoulders better than this years playoff contention team, which he believes will be selected this Sunday.

The good news for USD is, if not selected... unlike all the other teams not selected, they would still get two more games. A trip to UC-Davis then a trip to Gridiron Classic.

No non-scholly team has ever made the playoffs! If this was ever the year it was going to happen... this may be best chance with several teams in contention, and they other teams have lost.

Another interesting tidbit... No Undefeated team in history at any level of college football has ever not made the playoffs who have been ranked as high as USD is this year. (Teams had to be playoff eligible).

New info on how the Toreros stand going into the final selection weekend.

For the 12th time this season and 18th poll in a row overall, the Toreros claim the No. 1 spot in the Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10. USD's 18-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs, and its 19-game home winning streak is second only to Appalachian State (W24) among I-AA programs. The Toreros have also won 16 straight PFL contests.

USD is ranked:
No. 11 in Saragin
No. 12 in Don Hansens
No. 13 in the GPI
No. 14 in the Sports Network Poll.
No. 15 in the CSN
No. 20 in the AGS Poll

The University of San Diego Toreros have won 18 straight games, and 26 of their last 27 games!

New updated Statistical information...
As a team the Toreros rank in the Top-10 in 18 different I-AA statistics, including 10 areas where they are either #1 or #2. USD ranks
1st in total offense (517.80 yards per game);
1st in scoring offense (46.0 ppg);
1st in 3rd down efficiency (63.2%);
1st in passing (299.6 ypg);
1st in passing efficiency (180.91 rating);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0.25 yards per return);
2nd in scoring defense (11.1 ppg);
2nd in pass efficiency defense (88.15 rating);
tie-2nd in fumbles lost (3);
tie-2nd in turnovers lost (7).

San Diego statistically has the Nations top offense and one of the top defenses.

They have a QB, Josh Johnson who is a Payton Award Candidate along with a coach who is up for the Eddie Robinson, Coach of the Year award.

Should USD not be selected to the I-AA Playoffs, they would still keep their scheduled game with UC Davis on Nov. 25th, and then represent the Pioneer Football League in the Gridiron Classic on December 2nd at the site of the Northeast Champion, Monmouth (West Long Branch, New Jersey).

To succeed at USD, Harbaugh and his staff have had to do it without the ultimate recruiting tool – scholarships. Such a disadvantage requires coaches to be skilled at recognizing talent where other schools haven't and to get more out of less.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061116-9999-1s16harb-jp.html

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :giveadamn: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard : : retard :

msupokes1
November 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
My high school team has won 21 straight. Maybe we can line up a game with USD after USD doesn't get selected for the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Best of Luck to all the teams fighting for playoff contention this weekend. I hope Monmouth gets a shot just like the rest of them as well.

Games of interest that could help either team would be...

UNH (7-3) losing to Maine (6-4)
Coastal Carolina (8-2) to Charleston Southern (9-1)
Montana State (7-3) to Montana (9-1)
S. Illinois (7-3) to S. Utah (3-7)
Illinois State (8-2) to Northern Arizona (6-4)
Eastern Ill. ((7-4) to Jacksonville State (6-4)

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
My high school team has won 21 straight. Maybe we can line up a game with USD after USD doesn't get selected for the playoffs.

If you want to smack a team, it's pretty simple... do it on the smack board

JamesHarbaugh
November 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know why we are wasting our time with the I-AA football playoffs!?!?!

I believe we could replace a low-tiered I-A team without a hiccup of success.

Anybody have some rum, I feel like being a pirate coach today!

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Real mature... yet another fan bashing USD and creating a screen name to do so.

MarkCCU

you should never want to embarass another team:nono: :p

McNeeserocket

You know I think many of us are selling USD short! They have beaten everyone they have played and are getting respect in the polls and the GPI. Their quarterback looks to be the kind any team would want. Maybe some of us should give them their props. The playoffs are for teams that make the grade to prove how they stack up against other teams that make the grade. Let them have their chance to prove their worth.

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Real mature... yet another fan bashing USD and creating a screen name to do so.

that requires you changing your IP address back and forth from both names and i don't think many pple on here are capable of that

bison95
November 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
... plus he thinks next years team will be head and shoulders better than this years playoff contention team, ]

Does this mean that they will schedule 4 top 25 I-AA programs next season to prove it during the regular season, so you don't feel the need to try and prove it off the field?

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
You know I think many of us are selling USD short! They have beaten everyone they have played and are getting respect in the polls and the GPI. Their quarterback looks to be the kind any team would want. Maybe some of us should give them their props. The playoffs are for teams that make the grade to prove how they stack up against other teams that make the grade. Let them have their chance to prove their worth.

way to go Voice of Reason:p :p :p :p

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Does this mean that they will schedule 4 top 25 I-AA programs next season to prove it during the regular season, so you don't feel the need to try and prove it off the field?

I think most USD fans would like to see a tougher schedule, as would I-AA fans in general, but to be honest.. there isn't many I-AA teams who have played 4 teams in the top 25. Making it a requirement of USD wouldn't seem fair

bison95
November 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I think most USD fans would like to see a tougher schedule, as would I-AA fans in general, but to be honest.. there isn't many I-AA teams who have played 4 teams in the top 25. Making it a requirement of USD wouldn't seem fair

No but then Harbough would be putting his Football team where his Mouth is!:thumbsup:

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
That's for sure :)

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Regardless of the committee's decision on Sunday, this year has been a blast. While I would love to make the playoffs, that USD is even being mentioned as a candidate is a huge win for the program.

It is my hope the schedule is upgraded, and we can prove to the community we belong in the playoffs. If that happens I don't know but it is my sincere hope.

If we are not selected I will look forward to two GREAT games versus Monmouth and UC Davis. Both will be a great test for USD.

Good luck to all the playoff contenders! :hurray:

BlueHen86
November 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Regardless of the committee's decision on Sunday, this year has been a blast. While I would love to make the playoffs, that USD is even being mentioned as a candidate is a huge win for the program.

It is my hope the schedule is upgraded, and we can prove to the community we belong in the playoffs. If that happens I don't know but it is my sincere hope.

If we are not selected I will look forward to two GREAT games versus Monmouth and UC Davis. Both will be a great test for USD.

Assuming, of course, that Monmouth doesn't make the playoffs.

YoUDeeMan
November 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Best of Luck to all the teams fighting for playoff contention this weekend. I hope Monmouth gets a shot just like the rest of them as well.

Games of interest that could help either team would be...

UNH (7-3) losing to Maine (6-4)

Nice plagiarism. :nono:

Do you do that as school, too?

monmouthhawk's post is below:

So, for scoreboard watchers, here is a list of some of the teams that might benefit MU by losing:

UNH (7-3) to Maine (6-4)

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Assuming, of course, that Monmouth doesn't make the playoffs.

Yes - sorry to the Monmouth fans. Good luck to you as well!

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
there isn't many I-AA teams who have played 4 teams in the top 25.
:confused:

Teams that are in playoff contention:
UNH - Richmond, JMU, UMass, Maine and a I-A (win)
JMU - AppSt, UNH, Richmond and Towson
UMass - UNH, Towson, Maine and a I-A (1 pt loss)
Towson - Maine, UMass, Richmond and JMU
Montana - SDSU, PortlandSt, CalPoly, MSU
MSU - UCD, PortlandSt, Montana and a I-A (win)
PSU - Montana, MSU, 3 I-A's (one win)
IllSt - EIU, WKU, YSU, SIU, UNI and a I-A
SIU - WKU, YUS, ISU, UNI and a I-A

do you want me to keep going? :rolleyes:

EDIT: You know, I just now realized that perhaps Torero Tradition and other USD fans honestly didn't realize how tough most of the I-AA schedules are. I'm being totally serious. That would explain a lot.

OrneryAggie
November 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM

7 of the 9 teams UC Davis has played have been ranked in IAA or IA. USD will be #8.

SDSU has 7 or 8 teams on their schedule that have been ranked this season.

If USD would join the GWFC they would be practically garaunteed at least 4 ranked teams per season.

McNeese72
November 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Hell, yeah, let San Diego in. And, if we win Saturday, get in the playoffs, and have to go on the road, send us to San Diego instead of Missoula. The weather would be a lot warmer and I'd like our chances to win a lot better. :smiley_wi

Doc

YoUDeeMan
November 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM
:confused:

Teams that are in playoff contention:
UNH - Richmond, JMU, UMass, Maine and a I-A (win)
JMU - AppSt, UNH, Richmond and Towson
UMass - UNH, Towson, Maine and a I-A (1 pt loss)
Towson - Maine, UMass, Richmond and JMU
Montana - SDSU, PortlandSt, CalPoly, MSU
MSU - UCD, PortlandSt, Montana and a I-A (win)
PSU - Montana, MSU, 3 I-A's (one win)
IllSt - EIU, WKU, YSU, SIU, UNI and a I-A
SIU - WKU, YUS, ISU, UNI and a I-A

do you want me to keep going? :rolleyes:

Hen, there you go again using facts to pop someone's fantasy bubble. TT probably thinks you are the Grinch trying to steal his Christmas. :rotateh:

BigApp
November 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
still trying to figure out why a recent Southern Cal grad cares soooo much about San Diego's Toreros...

castoff
November 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
7 of the 9 teams UC Davis has played have been ranked in IAA or IA. USD will be #8.

SDSU has 7 or 8 teams on their schedule that have been ranked this season.

If USD would join the GWFC they would be practically garaunteed at least 4 ranked teams per season.

YSU also played at least four teams ranked in I-AA top 25 (depending on the poll). Here we go: Sports Network; Ill State (6), Southern Ill (11), Northern Iowa (20), Maine (22).

Stats Power Poll: Ill State (7). Souther Ill (8). Northern Iowa (18), Maine (19), and U.C., Davis (22).

OldFootballGuy
November 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Let them do as every other team in playoff consideration has done and play a schedule by which they can truly be judged. If they do that and win enough games, then by all means, welcome them to the playoff fraternity. Giving them a bid this year sets a dangerous precedent. I have complete confidence that the committee will stay true to the guidelines and not reward this schedule with a bid.

MrTitleist
November 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I hope you SoCal San Diego fans have something more than a light sweater to come up to Missoula with.. it's going to be awfully cold Thanksgiving weekend. Hope your players don't get a case of stiff legs and numb hands!

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM
still trying to figure out why a recent Southern Cal grad cares soooo much about San Diego's Toreros...

If you're referring to me, I am not that recent a Southern California grad - class of '95 and got my MBA from USD in 99'. Now work and live in San Diego full-time and try to get to as many USD events as possible when they don't conflict with USC. I will say though that I will be in LA on December 2nd for a small college game vs. some other California team....:D

Also, saying "Southern Cal" is taboo at USC......"S-O-U-T-H-E-R-N....C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A................Southern California!" (As one of our chants goes....)

Just trying to support both my schools - nothing wrong with that is there?

GannonFan
November 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Besides, who's really asking USD to play 4 top 25 teams besides that one poster? Why don't we take baby steps and say, I dunno, play 1? Before selection Sunday? Novel idea, I know. :rolleyes:

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I beg to differ with you. There have been numerous teams in I-AA that have played at least 4 or more teams that have been ranked in the top 25 at one time or another.

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I hope you SoCal San Diego fans have something more than a light sweater to come up to Missoula with.. it's going to be awfully cold Thanksgiving weekend. Hope your players don't get a case of stiff legs and numb hands!

From your lips to God's ears..........sadly, I don't think we will be visiting Missoula this fall. However, I would love for our team to play you in the future - it would be a great learning experience for them to face a program like UM. :thumbsup:

GannonFan
November 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
From your lips to God's ears..........sadly, I don't think we will be visiting Missoula this fall. However, I would love for our team to play you in the future - it would be a great learning experience for them to face a program like UM. :thumbsup:

Any chance you have any sway with the schedule brokers at USD? Playing a team like Montana, before the playoff selections are made, would appear to be diametrically opposed to USD's current scheduling philosophy. :nono:

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'd be willing to listen if the thread title was true

"New Info" Where?

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I think there could be a let down... the coaches have hyped the players quite a bit about the playoffs, to not get in and then play Davis the next week will be a huge challenge for the coaching staff. The good news is, they would still get to play the next weekend in the Gridiron classic. What USD has been able to accomplish this year is pretty special. Kudos to them. Best of luck to all the teams this weekend. Selection show should be fun!

USD Torero Football ranked No. 14 in Nation
I-AA Playoff announcement this Sunday on ESPNews (between 10-11 am PT)

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'd be willing to listen if the thread title was true

"New Info" Where?

Rankings, stats, coaching info... that is all new and updated info

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Rankings, stats, coaching info... that is all new and updated info

Sure, maybe you move a spot or two, but its still the same ole ****. Sorry bro.

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM

If San Diego were to make it in.... Missoula would be the obvious destination... :cool:

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Sure, maybe you move a spot or two, but its still the same ole ****. Sorry bro.

This is also new info and pretty amazing if you think about it...

Another interesting tidbit... No Undefeated team in history at any level of college football has ever not made the playoffs who have been ranked as high as USD is this year. (Teams had to be playoff eligible).

"San Diego will be remembered as the team that could, that couldn't"
if they don't make the playoffs

saint0917
November 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I hope San Diego makes the playoffs, BUT, the two things that might hurt them are these, Azusa Pacific, Dixie State. San Diego should take them off their schedule and add Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, etc..

monmouthhawk
November 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I hope San Diego makes the playoffs, BUT, the two things that might hurt them are these, Azusa Pacific, Dixie State. San Diego should take them off their schedule and add Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, etc..

That is EXACTLY why USD won't get in. When all is said and done, the committee is going to look at those two games very closely. Maybe one game against a team like those, but not two games.

I'm sure that USD realizes this and hopefully they can set up something for next year to evade this problem. Even undefeated, no chance at playoffs with that schedule.

Peems
November 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM

the grizzlies have. South Dakota State. Cal Poly, Portland State, and soon Montana state.

UNHFan99
November 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
UNH had, Richmond was #7, JMU is #6, UMASS is #3, and Maine ranked #22 and a Big ten game at Northwestern which looking back if they didnt win that they would have already been pretty much eliminated from playoffs.

bison95
November 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Besides, who's really asking USD to play 4 top 25 teams besides that one poster? Why don't we take baby steps and say, I dunno, play 1? Before selection Sunday? Novel idea, I know. :rolleyes:

My smack was more on their "coach" who seems to think they are better than Ohio State, yet has not given them the opportunity to prove anything on the field against top tier teams.

blukeys
November 16th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I don't know of an A-10 team that doesn't have 4 teams that have been ranked at some time in the 25 teams on their schedule. The same could be said of Southern Conference and Gateway teams.

walliver
November 16th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I thought there was a moratorium against new USD threads.

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I thought there was a moratorium against new USD threads.

You know how these Californians are xidiotx

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM
My smack was more on their "coach" who seems to think they are better than Ohio State, yet has not given them the opportunity to prove anything on the field against top tier teams.
Do you honestly think he wanted this schedule? He has some say in the scheduling matter, but ultimately it goes to the AD, Ky Snyder. The schedule is meant to reflect the Torero Athletic Vision and Mission statement. This is first and foremost an academic institution, with athletics taking a distant 2nd. I would love to see USD schedule a lot tougher, and hopefully they will next year.

Here's a question though..... if USD ends up playing UCD and Monmouth and takes care of business easily, what would you all then think of USD? Would that be enough to give them some credit? Or is everyone still fixated on Azuza and Dixie State? Dixie State is a horrible game, but Azuza is usually a top tier NAIA school that does provide scholarships.... just so happens they are having a down year.

lizrdgizrd
November 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Here's a question though..... if USD ends up playing UCD and Monmouth and takes care of business easily, what would you all then think of USD? Would that be enough to give them some credit? Or is everyone still fixated on Azuza and Dixie State? Dixie State is a horrible game, but Azuza is usually a top tier NAIA school that does provide scholarships.... just so happens they are having a down year.
Then we'll think you guys really should have played a tougher schedule and earned a playoff spot. The simple fact that you scheduled a game during the first round of the playoffs should be sufficient indication that you're not ready to be IN the playoffs.:twocents:

putter
November 16th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Do you honestly think he wanted this schedule? He has some say in the scheduling matter, but ultimately it goes to the AD, Ky Snyder. The schedule is meant to reflect the Torero Athletic Vision and Mission statement. This is first and foremost an academic institution, with athletics taking a distant 2nd. I would love to see USD schedule a lot tougher, and hopefully they will next year.

If you did that then you will jump exponentially as far as respect goes. It will roll over to next year but next year's schedule needs to be better.

HensRock
November 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM
...there isn't many I-AA teams who have played 4 teams in the top 25. Making it a requirement of USD wouldn't seem fair

You really don't have a clue, do you?

These teams have all been ranked in the AGS Top 25 at some point during the season:

Alabama A&M
Albany
Appalachian State
Cal Poly
Central Connecticut State
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Delaware
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Eastern Washington
Furman
Georgia Southern
Hampton
Harvard
Idaho State
Illinois State
James Madison
Lafayette
Maine
Massachusetts
McNeese State
Montana
Montana State
New Hampshire
Nicholls State
North Dakota State
Northern Arizona
Northern Iowa
Portland State
Princeton
Richmond
Sam Houston State
San Diego
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee-Martin
Texas State-San Marcos
Towson
UC Davis
Western Carolina
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

App State played 4 of those plus a I-A
UMass played 3 of those plus a I-A
UNH Played 5 of those plus beat a I-A
SIU played 4 of those plus beat a I-A
Montana is playing 7 of those plus a I-A
Coastal Carolina is playing 3 of those.
Furman played 4 of those plus a I-A
McNeese State has played 4 of those plus 2 I-As.
Towson has played 5 of these teams
Portland State played 5 of those plus 3 I-A teams (beating 1 of them)

These are the teams that USD is competing against for a playoff spot.

No surprising, but San Diego has played ZERO of the above teams.
Playoff caliber teams prove it during the regular season.

OrneryAggie
November 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM
... The schedule is meant to reflect the Torero Athletic Vision and Mission statement. This is first and foremost an academic institution, with athletics taking a distant 2nd. I would love to see USD schedule a lot tougher, and hopefully they will next year. ....

If the schedule is designed around the mission of the university why is it that all other sports at USD are allowed to compete against scholarship DI schools but the football team is not? Obviously the university has seperate missions for football and the rest of its athletes.

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
To clarify, i was talking about an OOC schedule that involved 4 top 25 teams. There are very few of those teams...

UMass922
November 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM
To clarify, i was talking about an OOC schedule that involved 4 top 25 teams. There are very few of those teams...

Teams that play difficult in-conference schedules can be excused for going a little easy with their OOC schedules. But when you play in the Pioneer Football League, you have to ramp up the OOC schedule big-time if you want to make a case for the playoffs, because you're not going to have a chance to get "statement" wins in-conference. Scheduling two sub- D-I games is near-suicide even in a power conference--it leaves you very little margin for error. To do so in a weak conference is pretty much asking not to be considered for the playoffs.

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM
If the schedule is designed around the mission of the university why is it that all other sports at USD are allowed to compete against scholarship DI schools but the football team is not? Obviously the university has seperate missions for football and the rest of its athletes.
They are allowed to compete against scholarship schools becuse they are scholarship as well. All the other sports at San Diego are D-IA. We have a very good soccer program (both men and women going to playoffs regularly), womens volleyball is nationally ranked year in and year out, the baseball team has been to the playoffs multiple times, men's tennis national runner-up last year, womens tennis national champion a few years ago, and men's basketball went to the tournament back in 2003.

walliver
November 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
They are allowed to compete against scholarship schools becuse they are scholarship as well. All the other sports at San Diego are D-IA. We have a very good soccer program (both men and women going to playoffs regularly), womens volleyball is nationally ranked year in and year out, the baseball team has been to the playoffs multiple times, men's tennis national runner-up last year, womens tennis national champion a few years ago, and men's basketball went to the tournament back in 2003.

Apparently you must have the only D-IA soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis and basketball teams in the country,:D

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Apparently you must have the only D-IA soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis and basketball teams in the country,:D
I'm not getting your comment. Please clarify.

shakdaddy3
November 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
This is also new info and pretty amazing if you think about it...

"San Diego will be remembered as the team that could, that couldn't"
if they don't make the playoffs

USD will be remembered as the team that didn't play anyone and didn't make the playoffs because of it... :nono:

and actually... there were plenty of DIA teams that went undefeated that never made the playoffs :D :p :smiley_wi

shakdaddy3
November 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
there is no DIA soccer... just DI... same goes for pretty much all other sports i beleive

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
It's still gonna be funny when Yale beats a team who plays in the playoffs, and then USD crushed Yale... Yale may even win the Ivy league?

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
there is no DIA soccer... just DI... same goes for pretty much all other sports i beleive

You are correct

McNeese72
November 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM

There are no subdivisions in any sport but football. Alll other sports at Div I schools are just referred to as Div. I Example: There is no such animal as Div I-A basketball, etc.

Doc

UMass922
November 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Correct. The I-A/I-AA distinction is operative only in football. In all other sports, all D-I teams compete together (i.e., for the same championship).

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Got it.... my bad for puting the "A" in there.... my point was just that all our other sports are scholarship; hence they play scholarship schools.

siugrad99
November 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Don't you worry about SIU... They will do everything they can to take that At Large Berth and keep it from your cupcake schedule winners.

shakdaddy3
November 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Don't you worry about SIU... They will do everything they can to take that At Large Berth and keep it from your cupcake schedule winners.
I HEAR YA!

i kind of want montana to lose to help ensure the cupcake dominators don't make it...

to boot, that would possibly help us get a seed :D

possibly...

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Correct. The I-A/I-AA distinction is operative only in football. In all other sports, all D-I teams compete together (i.e., for the same championship).

And then there is I-AAA. Those are the schools without football - Gonzaga, St. Louis, etc. Hey no snide reamrks about USD not having football either! :D

JamesHarbaugh
November 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I HEAR YA!

i kind of want montana to lose to help ensure the cupcake dominators don't make it...

to boot, that would possibly help us get a seed :D

possibly...

San Diego doesn't play cupcakes, we eat them alive.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I was expecting NEW information here, cuz that's what the thread said.......

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I was expecting NEW information here, cuz that's what the thread said.......

New info? How about this - Harbaugh to be on Michigan sideline Saturday! Of course it will be as a spectator at one of college greatest contests.....

Want more new info? USD is NOT going to get a bid Sunday......sorry to my fellow USD fans but it will not happen. Next week we will be preparing for UC Davis which will be a great game!

windwalker
November 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Look at the Gateway... They had to play top 25 teams week in and week out. SIU, NIU, ILSU, YSU hmmm pretty tough conference wouldn't you say???

GOTOREROS
November 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Look at the Gateway... They had to play top 25 teams week in and week out. SIU, NIU, ILSU, YSU hmmm pretty tough conference wouldn't you say???

He was specifically talking about OOC games......and yes the Gateway is a very good conference. I think USD needs 4 tough OOC games because our conference is weak....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Again, someone needs to explain to me how their schedule is any different from the Patriot League teams that get at large bids. Has any Ivy or Patriot League team (they play each other a lot) beaten or even played a team from a IAA autobid conference (other than the PL of course)?

Since their schedule is arguably no weaker than the average Ivy/Patriot League team, and seeing how they crushed Yale (probably the best team out of the two conferences) at Yale, I think you need to give them a chance. Out of all the teams that will only have 7 DI losses with a loss Saturday, some of them will lose, and leave a spot open for USD.

AlphaSigMD
November 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I wonder which would be worse for the USD fans?

1. Not making the playoffs and being able to play the rejection card + 2 extra games. This choice gives them a reason to be bitter and to maintain a completely undeserved sense being wronged (in their mind, ala youngstown state last year and wofford a few years back who had MUCH MUCH better stats and really WERE wronged) Do this fly...not really, because most people know that they really are an inferior team.

2. Going to washington griz and getting beat by 30 or coming to ASU and losing by 50.

My Take: USD, take pride in a good season, but stay out of the playoffs if you want to keep that pride intact.

Tod
November 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM
He was specifically talking about OOC games......and yes the Gateway is a very good conference. I think USD needs 4 tough OOC games because our conference is weak....

I don't think it has to be too tough. Had you scheduled a Great West, Big Sky, and Southland team to go along with your Yale win, and ran the table still, you'd be in, and I don't care which teams from those conferences.

If they are all decent teams, you'd probably be in with two out of three (along with the Yale win).

:twocents:

matfu
November 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
THE UPDATE IS THAT SAN DIEGO WILL BE AT HOME THIS YEAR where they deserve. this is a stupid discussion. it has been shown over and over since the 1aa playoffs started that teams with cupcake schedules do not get in the playoffs. i ALMOST hope san diego gets in and has to play a real football team and gets their cans kicked. but i really want them to BE LEFT AT HOME because then the selection of teams would be a JOKE. the san diego folks can start a million threads hear but the number of threads does not increase the likeihood that san diego will get in the playoffs. it actually shows a real immaturity which i can forgive, as i would be just as excited about my team being undefeated. it just shows ignorance on ya'll's part about the criteria for getting in the playoffs. you have no history of the way the system works.

Jackluv
November 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
NAU isnt playing ISU lol...they are playing UNC at Greeley

FlyYtown
November 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
WHO CARES!!! SD isn't going to the playoffs!

After YSU got snubbed last year with an 8-3 schedule; there is no doubt in my mind that team would beat this team by 3 touchdown's!!!!

blukeys
November 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Again, someone needs to explain to me how their schedule is any different from the Patriot League teams that get at large bids. Has any Ivy or Patriot League team (they play each other a lot) beaten or even played a team from a IAA autobid conference (other than the PL of course)?

Since their schedule is arguably no weaker than the average Ivy/Patriot League team, and seeing how they crushed Yale (probably the best team out of the two conferences) at Yale, I think you need to give them a chance. Out of all the teams that will only have 7 DI losses with a loss Saturday, some of them will lose, and leave a spot open for USD.

Care to explain which Patriot League team is expected to get an at large bid????

Seems to me that everyone on this board expects the PL to get only their auto bid and no more this year.

Typically, the PL schedules A-10 Ivy and NEC teams OOC.

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Again, someone needs to explain to me how their schedule is any different from the Patriot League teams that get at large bids.
Conference Rank
1. Big Sky Conference (26.35)
2. Southern Conference (28.14)
3. Gateway Football Conference (28.26)
4. Southland Conference (30.24)
5. Great West Football Conference (31.35)
6. Atlantic 10 Conference (32.50)
7. Ivy League (42.78)
8. Patriot League (53.30)
9. Ohio Valley Conference (53.56)
10. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (53.68)
11. Big South Conference (60.42)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (63.66)
13. Pioneer Football League (69.15)

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Care to explain which Patriot League team is expected to get an at large bid????

Seems to me that everyone on this board expects the PL to get only their auto bid and no more this year.

Typically, the PL schedules A-10 Ivy and NEC teams OOC.
All of a sudden the NEC is a conference considered to be note worthy.... a few big wins this year and they are a good conference. How are those teams that they beat doing this year?

blukeys
November 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
All of a sudden the NEC is a conference considered to be note worthy.... a few big wins this year and they are a good conference. How are those teams that they beat doing this year?

Read what I said, I simply stated what conferences supply OOC games for the PL this year.

As I stated in my first post the PL will only get their auto bid team in and no one expects an at large team from the PL.

USDFAN_55
November 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Read what I said, I simply stated what conferences supply OOC games for the PL this year.

As I stated in my first post the PL will only get their auto bid team in and no one expects an at large team from the PL.
Well this statement doesn't mean this year.... "Typically, the PL schedules A-10 Ivy and NEC teams OOC." Typically implies on a regular basis. I am in total agreement that the PL will only get their auto bid.

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Other than attacking USD's schedule... they really can't come up with a good arguement

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I wonder which would be worse for the USD fans?

1. Not making the playoffs and being able to play the rejection card + 2 extra games. This choice gives them a reason to be bitter and to maintain a completely undeserved sense being wronged (in their mind, ala youngstown state last year and wofford a few years back who had MUCH MUCH better stats and really WERE wronged) Do this fly...not really, because most people know that they really are an inferior team.

2. Going to washington griz and getting beat by 30 or coming to ASU and losing by 50.

My Take: USD, take pride in a good season, but stay out of the playoffs if you want to keep that pride intact.

What makes you think USD would lose by 20 more points to ASU than Montana?

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Other than attacking USD's schedule... they really can't come up with a good arguement
Go back a page. :rolleyes:

Conference Rank
7. Ivy League (42.78)

Those are 2005 year end rankings, when the PL received an at-large. It was a somewhat controversial at-large, but your answer is right in front of you. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's incorrect. :nono:

UMass922
November 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM

No other good arguments are needed. The good argument about USD's poor schedule is the only one necessary.

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Go back a page. :rolleyes:

Conference Rank
7. Ivy League (42.78)

Those are 2005 year end rankings, when the PL received an at-large. It was a somewhat controversial at-large, but your answer is right in front of you. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's incorrect. :nono:

The IVY league is ranked 7th in that, ahead of the Patriot. And we know what USD can do to the IVY league. So because USD is a great team in a poor conference they shouldn't be included? Well if that's the rule i suppose you are right.

siugrad99
November 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Great Team ? Please I'd be a great track runner if I ran against runners with only 1 leg. Kinda like the competition you play. Are you really that good if your competition is that bad ? Trying to run the score up so people will notice is not the answer. Nor is going for it on 4th down up 50 points with less than 3 minutes to go. Enjoy your Gridiron Classic as that is all you have to look forward to this season. Play someone or shut your mouth. Don't tell me Yale is the second coming of a 1AA powerhouse because your just fooling yourself.

grizband
November 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Great Team ? Please I'd be a great track runner if I ran against runners with only 1 leg. Kinda like the competition you play. Are you really that good if your competition is that bad ? Trying to run the score up so people will notice is not the answer. Nor is going for it on 4th down up 50 points with less than 3 minutes to go. Enjoy your Gridiron Classic as that is all you have to look forward to this season. Play someone or shut your mouth. Don't tell me Yale is the second coming of a 1AA powerhouse because your just fooling yourself.
Best line I've read all day.:hurray:

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
----------------------------------------
from siugrad99 Private message 11-12-2006, 06:57 AM
----------------------------------------
Congrats
On making the most threads about basically the same thing on AGS. I didn't hate USD until you kept running your mouth. Now I can't wait for them to get their ass kicked so you'll shut it. You've got a million posts on USD, you'd think your sleeping with the AD. Cannot wait for your mighty Torero's to get their asses pounded and see your excuse for it.

Just because you don't like USD's schedule and it appears weak, doesn't mean USD still can't be a great team. Their schedule, if they don't make it in, will be the big reason why they didn't get in. I'm not sleeping with the AD, and even if the Torero's get their "a$$es pounded", i don't think you'll see many Torero fans make excuses. I haven't heard of any Torero fans claim Yale was the second coming. I just find it hard to believe so many people consider Yale and the Ivies weak and not an impressive victory for USD. That is just my :twocents: I think there are lessor known teams that are not your typical playoff regulars that should be looked at closely this year, (and i'm not just talkin San Diego). especially with so many teams having records that are not as good as previous years.

... if you ran against runners with one leg, yes... you may beat them in the race... but people could still look at your overall time and performance. :thumbsup:

AlphaSigMD
November 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM
What makes you think USD would lose by 20 more points to ASU than Montana?

Well, first of all, nothing against Montana... It was really too bad when I read Coulson's article that focused on how some Montana fans expressed their angst with the east coast bias.......so the last thing i'm trying to do it hate here.

BUT...ASU plays very well at home. Only 1 team has put more than 1 TD on the board at the rock this year. James Madison, Wofford, Furman, The Citidel (all teams better than USD) could only find the endzone once...and Mars Hill couldn't find it at all(But then again...USD is better than MH).

Now...can the ASU offense score 50-60 on USD? It depends on when we put in the 2nd string.

Once again...Montana...great team. No beef with them at all, just yet. I think they would probably allow the game to be a little closer and then blow it up later. Once again...just my opinion...and feel free to disagree. I'm sure somebody might want to go back and calculate that ASU's margin of victory in the last 10 years at home is 9.2 and Montana's is 9.3 and USD's is 157...but who has time for that. And if you have some ultra-nifty-boolean-chi-squared-chai-tea-equation to prove me wrong...thats fine too...but it doesn't change my opinon.

ASU 56 USD 3
Montana 52 USD 21

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well, first of all, nothing against Montana... It was really too bad when I read Coulson's article that focused on how some Montana fans expressed their angst with the east coast bias.......so the last thing i'm trying to do it hate here.

BUT...ASU plays very well at home. Only 1 team has put more than 1 TD on the board at the rock this year. James Madison, Wofford, Furman, The Citidel (all teams better than USD) could only find the endzone once...and Mars Hill couldn't find it at all(But then again...USD is better than MH).

Now...can the ASU offense score 50-60 on USD? It depends on when we put in the 2nd string.

Once again...Montana...great team. No beef with them at all, just yet. I think they would probably allow the game to be a little closer and then blow it up later. Once again...just my opinion...and feel free to disagree. I'm sure somebody might want to go back and calculate that ASU's margin of victory in the last 10 years at home is 9.2 and Montana's is 9.3 and USD's is 157...but who has time for that. And if you have some ultra-nifty-boolean-chi-squared-chai-tea-equation to prove me wrong...thats fine too...but it doesn't change my opinon.

ASU 56 USD 3
Montana 52 USD 21

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I just find it hard to believe you actually think ASU would win 56-3. Maybe they would... who really know's i guess. I think USD has better players than most people think and if you actually watched them play this year, I think you would be a little wiser in your assessment of the Torero Offense. :twocents:

Torero Tradition
November 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Thanks for a different persepective than the constant USD bashings McNeese. Looks like this isn't the year for a non-scholly team in the big dance. Will be cheering on the cowboys this weekend. I like to go for the under-dog type teams. That would be amazing if McNeese made it in going through what they had to deal with this year. Maybe some year the Toreros can come expereince some great food at a Tailgate down south. Lord knows we need to schedule better teams! ;)

Guard Dawg
November 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Just because you don't like USD's schedule and it appears weak, doesn't mean USD still can't be a great team. Their schedule, if they don't make it in, will be the big reason why they didn't get in. I'm not sleeping with the AD, and even if the Torero's get their "a$$es pounded", i don't think you'll see many Torero fans make excuses. I haven't heard of any Torero fans claim Yale was the second coming. I just find it hard to believe so many people consider Yale and the Ivies weak and not an impressive victory for USD. That is just my :twocents: I think there are lessor known teams that are not your typical playoff regulars that should be looked at closely this year, (and i'm not just talkin San Diego). especially with so many teams having records that are not as good as previous years.

... if you ran against runners with one leg, yes... you may beat them in the race... but people could still look at your overall time and performance. :thumbsup:

And i thought i was a little harsh on torero fans xlolx

Torero Tradition
November 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I would like to get 2 top 25 teams on there!

NorthDakotaBison
November 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Call up Gene Taylor, I'm certain he'd schedule a home and home with you-as long as you're willing to come to Fargo the first weekend of the season when the Bison schedule their cupcake game. (Also after the Toreros were smoked by whatever score Coach Bohl wanted it to be we wouldn't have to listen to playoff selection garbage for 11 weeks).

I'm sure that SDSU would do a home and home with you also.

Torero Tradition
November 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Call up Gene Taylor, I'm certain he'd schedule a home and home with you-as long as you're willing to come to Fargo the first weekend of the season when the Bison schedule their cupcake game. (Also after the Toreros were smoked by whatever score Coach Bohl wanted it to be we wouldn't have to listen to playoff selection garbage for 11 weeks).

I'm sure that SDSU would do a home and home with you also.

Don't you think a cupcake game would hurt your schedule? That is pretty impressive your coach can win by whatever score he wants. You guys will be a force to reckon with in the playoffs when your team is eligible.

HensRock
November 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Just because you don't like USD's schedule and it appears weak, doesn't mean USD still can't be a great team....

You are correct. Just because USD plays a weak schedule doesn't mean they can't be a great team, but it DOES mean they can't go to the playoffs.

And the track meet analogy is funny, but not perfect. There is no way to measure absolute performance in a football game. It is all relative to the strength or weakness of your opponent.:twocents:

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
You are correct. Just because USD plays a weak schedule doesn't mean they can't be a great team, but it DOES mean they can't go to the playoffs.

And the track meet analogy is funny, but not perfect. There is no way to measure absolute performance in a football game. It is all relative to the strength or weakness of your opponent.:twocents:

Well said, and sums up USD right now....

putter
November 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
You can come up to Montana next year on 9/15 or 9/22? Food for thought.

NorthDakotaBison
November 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
that's a great idea putter.

maybe USD can sign a home-and-home agreement that the Griz can back out of.

:)

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tailbone
November 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM

That's OK.
After sampling a huge dose of Griz hospitality, The Toreros would be very happy to never see them again. :D

.....losing sucks, being humiliated sucks worse!

HensRock
November 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Ouch!

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Ouch!

USD is 1-0 lifetime versus Montana......too bad that has to stay in the Griz media guide! :D

Maverick
November 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'm sure that the USD-Montana record will be hard to find after seeing those National Championships and playoff appearances. How big is that page in the USD guide about NCAA playoff appearances in football? At least they won't have to redo it for next year!

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi xlolx xlolx xlolx

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm sure that the USD-Montana record will be hard to find after seeing those National Championships and playoff appearances. How big is that page in the USD guide about NCAA playoff appearances in football? At least they won't have to redo it for next year!

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi xlolx xlolx xlolx

LOL! I am only referring to the comment made by another poster about USD facing Montana in the playoffs and beating the Toreros - I stated that if we didn't face them in the playoffs this year that UM would continue to be 0-1 vs. San Diego. Just a simple fact - sorry it riled your feathers.

Maverick
November 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM
No riled or ruffled feathers here. I don't have to worry about getting in the playoffs or defending a weak schedule. But I do want to wish you good luck against UCD and in the GC, they will be your final chances to keep up the hype. Still, without a better OOC schedule next year (especially one that has no games after the selection date) history will repeat itself. Yet, had you played games against D-I competition from a more substantive conference this year, there would be no need to constantly post rankings, stats, etc. that came from games against (with one exception) bottom feeders.

Torero Tradition
November 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
The selection show on ESPNews will be at 10:30 am Pacific Time. Coach Harbuagh has been informed by the NCAA that neither Monmouth nor San Diego has a good chance to get in. Looks like the Gridiron Classic should be quite the game. Go Toreros!

Tailbone
November 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM
...... Coach Harbuagh has been informed by the NCAA that neither Monmouth nor San Diego has a good chance to get in. Looks like the Gridiron Classic should be quite the game. Go Toreros!

Probably just as well.
Now JH only has to worry about his team's performance in a single game, and focus his efforts there to ensure a respectable outing.

November 17, 2006

Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh have interviewed to replace Dan McCarney as football coach at Iowa State.

Norvell, a former Iowa State assistant coach, was interviewed Thursday night in Dallas, according to three independent sources close to Norvell.

Harbaugh also was interviewed in Dallas, sources told The Des Moines Register.

Multiple sources close to both candidates said Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard and senior associate athletic director David Harris conducted the interviews.

McCarney concludes 12 seasons as Iowa State’s coach after Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against Missouri at Jack Trice Stadium. He resigned on Nov. 8.

Pollard, reached by The Register late this afternoon, was asked about both candidates: "I am not talking about the search," Pollard said.

Neither Norvell nor Harbaugh could not be reached for comment. Their representatives also could not be reached.

It will look much better on his resume than a first round blow-out.

windwalker
November 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Conference Rank
7. Ivy League (42.78)

Didn't you forget some??

Latest GPI standings...

1. Great West Football Conference (22.18)
2. Atlantic 10 Conference (24.39)
3. Gateway Football Conference (29.97)
4. Big Sky Conference (35.70)
5. Southern Conference (36.43)
6. Ivy League (41.63)
7. Big South Conference (46.71)
8. Ohio Valley Conference (50.21)
9. Southland Conference (51.00)
10. Patriot League (57.00)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (58.20)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (63.74)
13. Northeast Conference (65.19)
14. Independents (66.89)
15. Pioneer Football League (69.60)
16. Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference (83.73)

What week month year did you copy yours from?????

windwalker
November 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I would like to get 2 top 25 teams on there!

Like I said on your board, until your AD and administration decide to really commit to the football program, you won't see your schedule change much.

Also.. the rest of your conference must make the commitment also... then and only then wil the non-scholly teams get true respect...

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM
No riled or ruffled feathers here. I don't have to worry about getting in the playoffs or defending a weak schedule. But I do want to wish you good luck against UCD and in the GC, they will be your final chances to keep up the hype. Still, without a better OOC schedule next year (especially one that has no games after the selection date) history will repeat itself. Yet, had you played games against D-I competition from a more substantive conference this year, there would be no need to constantly post rankings, stats, etc. that came from games against (with one exception) bottom feeders.

Sure sounds like your feathers are ruffled xlolx . If you didn't care why would you respond to posts and a team that you obviuosly think is so bad xlolx . Again, I simply responded to a specific comment of USD playing UM and it seems it got to you. Again, sorry to get you riled up. And the funny part is I always have my undergrad team to always root for - it's a private school up in LA that has had some success over the years :thumbsup:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm a rookie on this board.....but didn't Coastal Carolina go undefeated in 2004 and not make the playoffs? Anyone have information on this?

Maverick
November 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
What things sound like and what they really are can be confusing especially to those whose reality ends when the playoffs start. Besides what do you care you got your undergrad team to make your life. Sounds like you just misunderstood or misread what I posted. You have been doing a lot of that lately with all of the misunderstanding and misreading about getting USD into the playoffs. Sorry that I ruffled your feathers, but enjoy your other team.

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 06:01 PM
What things sound like and what they really are can be confusing especially to those whose reality ends when the playoffs start. Besides what do you care you got your undergrad team to make your life. Sounds like you just misunderstood or misread what I posted. You have been doing a lot of that lately with all of the misunderstanding and misreading about getting USD into the playoffs. Sorry that I ruffled your feathers, but enjoy your other team.

LOL! Again, sorry you are so upset about San Diego. You keep throwing barbs over to me about USD and not making the playoffs, as if my life depended on that occuring xlolx . Apparently, the existence of San Diego is a thorn in your side! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
November 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
What week month year did you copy yours from?????
The last time the Patriot received an at-large. Final regular season GPI 2005.

GOTOREROS
November 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM
USD is not getting a bid.....

Torero Tradition
November 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Read this in another thread from Ralph... and thought it was worth mentioning again...

FROM RALPH:
Check this out. I emailed a computer ranking person that is on Massey's comparison page and asked about San Diego being No. 1 in his system. This is his reply:--------------------------------------
Quote:
The simple answer is that the Toreros are undefeated and nobody else is. So the records-based systems will generally rank San Diego highly. Yes, Yale and Drake are the best teams that San Diego played, but San Diego stomped those teams, so the systems that use records and points will treat San Diego in a way not unlike Ohio State on the 1-A side. Systems that use only points will tend to put San Diego around #25, again based on the large margins of victory.

For better or worse, you play with the schedule you've got. One would hope that the 1-AA selection committee wouldn't exclude an undefeated team whose closest margin of victory is 17 points. The Toreros are certainly better than several of the teams who will be in the 1-AA tournament.

San Diego is scheduled to play at UC Davis on November 25th, and the SID says the Toreros will play that game if they do not receive an NCAA bid. A strong victory in that game would be evidence that they should have been invited after all.

Fred
-------
Interesting...

Torero Tradition
November 18th, 2006, 12:45 AM
USD is not getting a bid.....

They did everything they could. What a season and magical run! The Toreros of 2006 :hurray:

They will get a bid into the post-season... the Gridiron Classic and still get to play UC Davis. That is better than most teams after this Sunday. ;)

siugrad99
November 18th, 2006, 01:32 AM
LOL I love how you change your tune because you can sense the fact that all your running of your mouth is going to prove pointless. Before it was all about making the playoffs, now somehow playing a championship game of non-scholarship teams is better than being in the playoffs.. Make up your mind moron. Also by the amount of threads and posts you've made in the past 3 months I think it IS safe to say your life does depend on USD football. Are you that 40 year old guy who lives with his parents and wears the school lettermans jacket for being scorekeeper ? Still got the sewn on 84 on the pocket don't ya.... loser

Stang Fever
November 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
LOL I love how you change your tune because you can sense the fact that all your running of your mouth is going to prove pointless. Before it was all about making the playoffs, now somehow playing a championship game of non-scholarship teams is better than being in the playoffs.. Make up your mind moron. Also by the amount of threads and posts you've made in the past 3 months I think it IS safe to say your life does depend on USD football. Are you that 40 year old guy who lives with his parents and wears the school lettermans jacket for being scorekeeper ? Still got the sewn on 84 on the pocket don't ya.... loser

Come on. no need for a cheap shot. If you were them you would be hoping for a bid too. I think it was refreshing how they posted a lot of things about USD it made people think about USD. I for one came out straight against USD making the playoffs. Because there was no way that a schedule like that Deserves a spot in the field while other teams specifically beefed up there schedule hopeing that it would get them in.

USD I believe next year with a good schedule I cant wait to see what happens. I know a lot of people will be waiting to see what USD does with the schedule

Stang Fever
November 18th, 2006, 08:07 AM
I for one believe that USD is probably a really good team and could give a lot of the teams in the Playoffs a run for there money. They just might even beat Davis next week but we will have to wait for AGS. I always came out against USD and the playoffs because of there schedule. You cant reward people for not playing anyone. Good luck at Davis and Good luck with the Classic.

At the the end of the day USD just has to look themselves in the mirror and realize that they didnt play a soul. Your conference is your conference so know one really complains about that to much. but sure as hell beef up that out of conference schedule and make some noise next year like you did this year and I promise you. YOu will be in the playoffs.

Play the likes of Poly,Davis, Sac ST. beat them and I promise people will not say anything about USD anymore. Take out Yale, Azusa Pacific and Dixie St. and you got yourself a decent out of conferene schedule

**I belive i heard the Azusa is like a rival. well just like NDSU proved if you are not on the same page as us and trying to move the athletic program upward. THe rivialry can go out with the trash

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Nice cheap shots. :nono: :nono: :nono:

PIRATETIZED1
November 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by JamesHarbaugh

"...Anybody have some rum, I feel like being a pirate coach today!..."

Oh REALLY???????? :eyebrow: xidiotx :rolleyes: :nonono2: xlolx

PIRATETIZED :cool:
------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

MEAC Football Champions 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005, and 2006
MEAC Basketball Tournament Champions 2001, 2002, 2006

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I for one believe that USD is probably a really good team and could give a lot of the teams in the Playoffs a run for there money. They just might even beat Davis next week but we will have to wait for AGS. I always came out against USD and the playoffs because of there schedule. You cant reward people for not playing anyone. Good luck at Davis and Good luck with the Classic.

At the the end of the day USD just has to look themselves in the mirror and realize that they didnt play a soul. Your conference is your conference so know one really complains about that to much. but sure as hell beef up that out of conference schedule and make some noise next year like you did this year and I promise you. YOu will be in the playoffs.

Play the likes of Poly,Davis, Sac ST. beat them and I promise people will not say anything about USD anymore. Take out Yale, Azusa Pacific and Dixie St. and you got yourself a decent out of conferene schedule

**I belive i heard the Azusa is like a rival. well just like NDSU proved if you are not on the same page as us and trying to move the athletic program upward. THe rivialry can go out with the trash

You and others are right. I think we USD fans did not want to admit our schedule killed us this year - that is what being a fan is sometimes - ignoring reality. I thkn most of us over the last week have come to the realization that a playoff bid is not going to occur, and the reason is as most if not all have stated - A WEAK SCHEDULE.

I believe that USD is re-working its schedule to upgrade it and allow for the possibility next year of at least a bettershot at the playoffs.

People are taking their cheap shots at USD right now and that is fine. When I am wrong I will admit it - and I really thought USD had a better chance to get in thatn they really did. I missed the boat, but such is life sometimes.

Good luck to all the playoff contenders this year!

GGASU
November 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM
You and others are right. I think we USD fans did not want to admit our schedule killed us this year - that is what being a fan is sometimes - ignoring reality. I thkn most of us over the last week have come to the realization that a playoff bid is not going to occur, and the reason is as most if not all have stated - A WEAK SCHEDULE.

I believe that USD is re-working its schedule to upgrade it and allow for the possibility next year of at least a bettershot at the playoffs.

People are taking their cheap shots at USD right now and that is fine. When I am wrong I will admit it - and I really thought USD had a better chance to get in thatn they really did. I missed the boat, but such is life sometimes.

I can't believe you guys are giving up right before the playoffs teams are announced. :nonono2:

That would be like political candidate throwing in the towel the day before election day.

You still should be emailing a solid arguement to the members of the committee....geez with the amount of posts you guys have here you could have had at least a couple of committee members on your side by now.

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I can't believe you guys are giving up right before the playoffs teams are announced. :nonono2:

That would be like political candidate throwing in the towel the day before election day.

You still should be emailing a solid arguement to the members of the committee....geez with the amount of posts you guys have here you could have had at least a couple of committee members on your side by now.

The USD admin has already lobbied the committee with officail materials etc. Emailing committee members isn't going to help our cause. If fans emailing the committee worked, many other teams would get bids based upon the amount of email received. I would hope for your sake and others emails from fans are not he answer.......in fact its pretty naive to think fans emailing helps the cuase. USD has lobbied the committee already with a flood of officail materials. Trust me, my email or other USD fans here are not going to put us over the top. It is either going to happen or not.....its out of our hands at this point.

You people are amazing - you rip USD fans for thinking they have a chance, then you rip us when we feel we have little chance. :nono:

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
USD fans are Griz fans today!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
USD fans are Griz fans today!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is right - GO GRIZ!

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
At the end of the day, the fault for the schedule is on Harbaugh. And if he leaves, USD would be hard pressed to maintain their success.

Hopefully USD upgrades their schedule.

Stang Fever
November 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM

With all my post against USD this is all I have ever wanted USD fans to say and admit to themselves that there schedule is extremely weak. It doesnt deserve a shot at the playoffs. NOW if you get in. then by all means go out and beat everyone who was put in front of you. USD just now knows that You cant schedule like that and think cause you blow every team out that you should be in the playoffs. I for oen believe USD is a really good team.

WHY. cause you are playing teams on pair with you. and are BLOWING them out the water but most teams in I-AA would do the same so that doesnt say much for your level of comp. So it is impressive that USD could got heads and shoulders better then everyone else.

What good came come of all this?

USD fianally got a smell of the playoffs. maybe this lights the fire that makes the athletic department put schollies for football. Maybe the department will take football serious like it does basketball and allow them to compete. Once you get a taste of winning and thats all you come a custom too. then once yoru coach leaves (which will all know he is going to do) you will get someone in there and expect the same out come.

1)we will see a better schedule
2)more commitment to football
3)more national exsposure for the department (not that much in I-AA but still some)

Stang Fever
November 18th, 2006, 11:58 AM
and how do you guys know that USD wont get in? has the department said something, has the coach said something?

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM
and how do you guys know that USD wont get in? has the department said something, has the coach said something?

My source with USD football says that while the admin is holding out hope, they have had discussions with several committee members and that our chances are a longshot at best. I think all the number crunching has reached an end, an unless disaster strike for every team in front of USD we will be at UC Davis next week. I think the team is preparing itself for what is probably bad news tomorrow...

However, there is still football to be played and that is a good thing!

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
With all my post against USD this is all I have ever wanted USD fans to say and admit to themselves that there schedule is extremely weak. It doesnt deserve a shot at the playoffs. NOW if you get in. then by all means go out and beat everyone who was put in front of you. USD just now knows that You cant schedule like that and think cause you blow every team out that you should be in the playoffs. I for oen believe USD is a really good team.

WHY. cause you are playing teams on pair with you. and are BLOWING them out the water but most teams in I-AA would do the same so that doesnt say much for your level of comp. So it is impressive that USD could got heads and shoulders better then everyone else.

What good came come of all this?

USD fianally got a smell of the playoffs. maybe this lights the fire that makes the athletic department put schollies for football. Maybe the department will take football serious like it does basketball and allow them to compete. Once you get a taste of winning and thats all you come a custom too. then once yoru coach leaves (which will all know he is going to do) you will get someone in there and expect the same out come.

1)we will see a better schedule
2)more commitment to football
3)more national exsposure for the department (not that much in I-AA but still some)

I agree. It is my hope that eyes were opened on campus this year - student support across the baord has gone up at USD. Student attendance at soccer, volleyball, and basketball is WAY up. There were about 600 students at an exhibtion basketball game Monday night vs. a DII school.

I also believe Harbaugh is leaving and have felt this since last year - I think USD will hire someone to continue what Harbaugh started and invest in the future. It might not be scholarships right away but it will be a continued investment in slow growth of the program.

USD is headed the right direction, but it will take more hard work and investment by fans and alums to make it happen.

Stang Fever
November 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
DO you realize you have over 800 post in about a month and a half...thats insane.... I just noticed that talking about Lobbying for USD

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
DO you realize you have over 800 post in about a month and a half...thats insane.... I just noticed that talking about Lobbying for USD

Well a lot of the posts came in USD game threads so it really isn't representative :D . However, when someone says I should be emailing etc. I laugh because many of us have already done that!

I have actually posted here and the USD board more than the USC board lately - probably becuase the story of USD is more interesting to me right now...I-AA is just as exciting as I-A! :thumbsup:

ereiz03
November 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Usually, you only hear about USD when it comes to it being a very good school academically......it would be great if USD could be known for it's athletics as well!

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I'm not trying to change your opinion, I just find it hard to believe you actually think ASU would win 56-3. Maybe they would... who really know's i guess. I think USD has better players than most people think and if you actually watched them play this year, I think you would be a little wiser in your assessment of the Torero Offense. :twocents:

Speaking of being wiser, ask anyone that's played our defense this year and see how well they'd say you'd do. USD would have not seen a defense as good as ASU's if they put the best players on all the teams they have played together on one unit. That ain't exaggeration either. Your glory boy quarterback would be running for his life almost every play. Period.

The question will be if USD could stop ASU enough to keep them from getting to 50. That would depend on who's doing the scoring. If it's the offense alone, probably we'd only get 35-40. Coach Moore would kill the passing game but I'd easily give Edwards and Richardson a combined 300 yards and 5 scores. The question becomes how many turnovers and scores the defense gets. It's not unreasonable to think that unit could put at least 7 on the board.

Like your team, you are waaaay out of your league here. Do yourself a favor and quit making stupid statements.