PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Playoffs for Monmouth?

monmouthhawk
November 16th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Don't worry folks - this is not a crusade, only one thread.

Monmouth still in I-AA contention

Fate will be determined Sunday
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 11/16/06
BY TONY GRAHAM
STAFF WRITER

There could be more to celebrate than a 2006 Northeast Conference championship and a berth in the Dec. 2 Gridiron Classic when the Monmouth University football team holds an open house Sunday at the school's student center.

Monmouth (10-1, 6-1) will also be gathering in hopes of learning it has gained one of eight at-large bids to the 16-team NCAA Division I-AA playoffs field, which will be announced at 1 p.m. Sunday on ESPNews. The playoffs begin Nov. 25.

The Gridiron Classic is a scheduled matchup between the NEC (Monmouth) and Pioneer League champions (San Diego), but if a league champion receives a I-AA at-large bid, the second-place team in the league will play in the Classic, which will be hosted by the NEC representative.

"Monmouth will certainly be under consideration for an at-large bid," said Ron Ratner, associate commissioner of the NEC, who added that would "realistically" be a first for an NEC team.

"I think the success the league (NEC) has had as a whole has made our teams more viable (for the 1-AA playoffs)," said Ratner, referring to 2006 wins by Monmouth and other NEC schools over established Division I-AA programs.

"I think Monmouth's body of work this year lends itself to that consideration," he said.

While Monmouth was running the table against I-AA nonconference foes Fordham, Colgate, Morgan State, and St. Peter's, NEC members Albany and Central Connecticut State produced nonconference wins of note.

San Diego (10-0), also believed to be in the I-AA at-large playoff mix, rolled to the Pioneer League title, with Drake (9-2) finishing second. Stony Brook (5-6, 5-2) has the NEC second-place tiebreakers.

"All the information that has been passed on to me is that we are one of a handful of teams that are bubble teams at this point," Monmouth coach Kevin Callahan said. "A lot will be determined by games yet to be played this weekend, who wins, who loses."

Callahan said Monmouth, which claimed the NEC crown in last Saturday's showdown at Albany, is the only team in I-AA football to have 10 wins against I-AA opponents.

San Diego is ranked No. 14 in the Sports Network Top 25 poll, while Monmouth was listed as "also receiving votes," the 29th highest vote total nationally.

However, Matt Dougherty, TSN 1-AA football editor, wrote two weeks ago, "The Toreros (San Diego) finish the regular season with a 10-0 record, though a pair of games against non-Division I competition figure to send them to the Gridiron Classic on Dec. 2."

This week, Dougherty said of Monmouth in reference to its all 1-AA schedule, "the Hawks can at least sit back next week and root against New Hampshire, Towson, Eastern Illinois, and Montana State in hopes of obtaining a playoff bid that would have been unfathomable when the year began."

Ratner said poll rankings are never discussed at the I-AA selection level.

"We just assess the teams by what goes down on the field," he said.

Monmouth senior defensive end Erik Yngstrom said Wednesday the Hawks are thrilled to still be playing.

"Just going into the Albany game, I wasn't ready for it to be the last game of my career," said the Freehold Township High School graduate.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/SPORTS02/611160523/1010

Also, here is the scores to check up on for MU fans:
MU football on the 1-AA bubble
With MU (10-1) "on the bubble" for the 1-AA playoffs it would behoove the Hawks if some other "bubble teams" lost this weekend (bids go out Sunday).

Again, it's a 16-team field with six automatic bids.....

So, for scoreboard watchers, here is a list of some of the teams that might benefit MU by losing:

UNH (7-3) to Maine (6-4)
Coastal Carolina (8-2) to Charleston Southern (9-1)
Montana State (7-3) to Montana (9-1)
S. Illinois (7-3) to S. Utah (3-7)
Illinois State (8-2) to Northern Arizona (6-4)
Eastern Ill. ((7-4) to Jacksonville State (6-4)

So keep this little scoreboard blog handy Saturday for instant reference. Not all of the teams have to lose ,but one or two going down wouldn't hurt the MU chances.

Again ..it's a 16-team field with eight automatic bids.

Seahawks Fan
November 16th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Much stronger schedule than USD. Monmouth deserves a bid.

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Right now, I think Monmouth is on the outside looking in, but if things work out, they could slide in.

danefan
November 16th, 2006, 07:47 AM

San Diego fans have to cringe at the sight of that statement.xcoffeex

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Was thinking about that this morning. I think I'd put Monmouth in before USD because of the NEC's wins. The only decent win the PFL had was USD over Yale. Two of the games the article mentions as bubble games are not IMO:

Illinois State (8-2) to Northern Arizona (6-4) - ISU is in win or lose
Eastern Ill. ((7-4) to Jacksonville State (6-4) - EIU is out win or lose

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Monmouth and their fans seem to be handling MU's post-season chances, no matter what they are, with decorum and grace. The lack of a sense of entitlement is refreshing.

OL FU
November 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Call me skeptical but I am not sure I believe that. Even if they are not discussed to think that individual members haven't considered the rankings, or known of the rankings or started their list candidate teams with the rankings is almost nonsensical.

GGASU
November 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Illinois State (8-2) to Northern Arizona (6-4) - ISU is in win or lose
Eastern Ill. ((7-4) to Jacksonville State (6-4) - EIU is out win or lose

He had to mean Northern Iowa losing to Illinois State.

monmouthhawk
November 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Monmouth and their fans seem to be handling MU's post-season chances, no matter what they are, with decorum and grace. The lack of a sense of entitlement is refreshing.

Thanks HenFan - the fans and players are just glad to be getting at least one more game!

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM
All right... a least this is an honest article on Monmouth chances... a realistic outside chance, but not definite.

Like I've said before, Monmouth deserves to be in the field over USD. Hawks play in a very tough conference and they have a top defense... shutting down CCSU...

Best of luck on Sunday!

blukeys
November 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Agree with HF and believe a 10-1 Monmouth is a better pick than USD. Also we get this team in Newark next year. :thumbsup:

Dane96
November 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Without Boland (he graduates). Boland is the glue of that offense. He is a robot out there. Not the best athlete...not the best QB....just doesnt make mistakes.

He is a tough cookie.

Without Boland...UD fans should feel good about the game. NO way you guys take them lightly next year.

If Monmouth gets in the playoffs....it would be very exciting for the NEC, though I think it would be just as exciting to play San Diego.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Agree with HF and believe a 10-1 Monmouth is a better pick than USD. Also we get this team in Newark next year. :thumbsup:

Monmouth at Delaware in 2007?

Monmouth is at Lafayette week one in 2007... should be a good one.

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I will be a Monmouth fan is they make the playoffs. Unless ofcourse they play us or Furman.

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Let's just hope they don't pull an Albany on us. ;) :p

monmouthhawk
November 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM

The NEC (well at least some members) are very serious about getting involved with a chance at the playoffs. I don't forsee Albany/CCSU/Monmouth playing anything but a full AA schedule - and perhaps when the NEC splits they will join up with some of the big boys in another conference.

Here's hoping...

alumNEC
November 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
yes that would be nice... Congrats again to MU, just being mentioned as an outside shot at the playoffs is an honor, and I know the MU fans/players know that... I really am excited about the NEC, wins over a number of quality teams gained some respect from the big boys, and hopefully the NEC will stay consistent enough to be in the hunt for the playoffs for years to come which may warrant an auto-bid eventually

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I too am hoping MU make the playoffs, but they need a lot of help. They have a remote chance, but as Ratner said who would have thunk an NEC team would get "serious consideration"?

Regardless of what happens, MU gets one more game (playoffs/GIC) :hurray:

However, if MU does sneak in as the last at-large, who would they likely play? Would they go to #1 App. State?

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I too am hoping MU make the playoffs, but they need a lot of help. They have a remote chance, but as Ratner said who would have thunk an NEC team would get "serious consideration"?

Regardless of what happens, MU gets one more game (playoffs/GIC) :hurray:

However, if MU does sneak in as the last at-large, who would they likely play? Would they go to #1 App. State?

they would probably go to Boone or UMass

monmouthhawk
November 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
they would probably go to Boone or UMass

Ouch! It's good experience for the young players though. of course if it happens

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Just remember Monmouth... Lafayette had a remote chance last year... and we all know what happened! :D

JMG1MON
November 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Yeah, I forget who the rest of our OOC schedule is but I think it unfortunately includes St. Peter's again. I know you guys visit Monmouth in 2008 (Lafayette that is). We got fortunate this year as LaSalle backed out of our game and we got to play Morgan State instead (I know Morgan isn't exactly a powerhouse, but they are 10x's better than LaSalle).

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
The NEC (well at least some members) are very serious about getting involved with a chance at the playoffs.
:thumbsup: :nod: The NEC gets it. Too bad some other teams that are begging for respect don't.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I forget who the rest of our OOC schedule is but I think it unfortunately includes St. Peter's again. I know you guys visit Monmouth in 2008 (Lafayette that is). We got fortunate this year as LaSalle backed out of our game and we got to play Morgan State instead (I know Morgan isn't exactly a powerhouse, but they are 10x's better than LaSalle).

Now see.. if you were USD, you would leave St. Peter's and LaSalle on the schedule, and pencil in Montclair St. and Kean too.

JMG1MON
November 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Now see.. if you were USD, you would leave St. Peter's and LaSalle on the schedule, and pencil in Montclair St. and Kean too.

I've always been of the ilk to test yourself against the tougher teams OOC, even in basketball. Better prepares you for your conference. Monmouth as well as many teams in the NEC are starting to attempt this. Sure it killed me my sophomore year in 1999 to watch us get obliterated by Lehigh (56-10), but I thought at the time, it wasn't a bad idea (of course our team was terrible that year) but it was nice to see us play a bigger school.

JMG1MON
November 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Montclair is too good, William Paterson it is!!

Dane96
November 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Well we know certains schools wouldnt dream of scheduling TCNJ or Rowan...may put a damper on an undefeated year.

;)