PDA

View Full Version : What does your team have to do this offseason/spring to win a championship next year?

Missingnumber7
January 13th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Its the offseason officially, well except for watching all those outstanding seniors try to impress the scouts.

What are you looking for your team to do to improve next year?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Same thing they did the last 4 offseasons, it appears.

Daytripper
January 13th, 2015, 02:55 PM
SHSU Quarterback Jared Johnson must be more consistent. Must get bigger/stronger in the trenches. If Keeler brings in transfers, I hope they are interior linemen. Skill positions are set.

Missingnumber7
January 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Same thing they did the last 4 offseasons, it appears.

Pay Coach Kramer whatever dollar amount he puts on the napkin.

Bisonator
January 13th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Reload our defense.

Dline was very young this year but should be better and deeper next year. Need to replace a Buchanan award winner!
Linebackers will be inexperienced next year but Deluca should be solid at MLB. Need some guys to step up at the outside spots. Can PGT stay healthy? Should be fun watching this competition in Spring and Fall camp.
Safety is going to be interesting with Board and Dempsey or ???? Again this should be a good competition to watch play out.
DB is pretty much set with Smith and Champion returning and a stacked group of younger guys.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Reload our defense.

Dline was very young this year but should be better and deeper next year. Need to replace a Buchanan award winner!
Linebackers will be inexperienced next year but Deluca should be solid at MLB. Need some guys to step up at the outside spots. Can PGT stay healthy? Should be fun watching this competition in Spring and Fall camp.
Safety is going to be interesting with Board and Dempsey or ???? Again this should be a good competition to watch play out.
DB is pretty much set with Smith and Champion returning and a stacked group of younger guys.

Coach K says the defense will be deeper next year. That is encouraging.

Pard4Life
January 13th, 2015, 03:17 PM
1) Retire the Frankosaurus
2) Pray

Bisonator
January 13th, 2015, 03:20 PM

Yeah it should be.

Should allow for more rotation on the dline and that should boost the entire defense.

citdog
January 13th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Replace Cadet Aaron Miller at the Qb position. Other than that keep the sophomore corporal away from the recruiting class.

UNHWildcat18
January 13th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Don't injure the starting and backup QB, wide receiver both starting DBs and a DE when up 18-6 in the semi's.
Oh also dont miss two TD passed when up 18-6 in the semi's.
Other than that we should be fine, after 11 years in the playoffs Im not worried about reloading.

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2015, 03:28 PM
drop down a division or 2 or 3

MR. CHICKEN
January 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM
20502....OR...MOVE TA FARGO......xrotatehx....BRAWK!

IBleedYellow
January 13th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Make sure our Strength and Conditioning Coach stays in Fargo.

Redbird Recon
January 13th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Fill holes on the OL and DB.

ngineer
January 13th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Channeling Billy Crystal, "Don't get me started!"

Catsfan90
January 13th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Recruit a kicker.

AggieManiac704
January 14th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Pray

FormerPokeCenter
January 14th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Inject Adamantium into the bones and ligaments of all of our players...

Obtaining Wolverine's remarkable healing powers would be nice, too...

Finding some dominant defensive linemen would help, and getting our offensive line coach back from the University of Georgia would be a definite plus...

BISON Thunder
January 14th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

MR. CHICKEN
January 14th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

20503.....SKANDANAVIAN....FO'......."WE DON'T NEED NUFFIN'.....xrotatehx...AWK!

Cocky
January 14th, 2015, 08:34 AM
More intensity
don't have 20 players injured at playoff time
LBs and DBs need a little improvement.
Coaching maturity. This was HCs second year of college coaching.
Wont happen but a more challenging schedule, OVC to improve overnight.

McNeese75
January 14th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Inject Adamantium into the bones and ligaments of all of our players...

Obtaining Wolverine's remarkable healing powers would be nice, too...

Finding some dominant defensive linemen would help, and getting our offensive line coach back from the University of Georgia would be a definite plus...

Here Here, Plus either developing the 6'6" soph QB in the corral, coaching up Daniel Sam's passing skills to those of Russell Wilson or finding a transfer clone of the EWU, Illinois State or Villanova QB.

We don't ask for much xdrunkyx (as they say, wish in one hand *%#@ in the other and see which one fills up first)

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 14th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Coach K said deeper and faster.

FormerPokeCenter
January 14th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Here Here, Plus either developing the 6'6" soph QB in the corral, coaching up Daniel Sam's passing skills to those of Russell Wilson or finding a transfer clone of the EWU, Illinois State or Villanova QB.

We don't ask for much xdrunkyx (as they say, wish in one hand *%#@ in the other and see which one fills up first)

We could work on Bolfing's speed and agility, too

I wish I lived in Lake Charles. I'd make the sumbitch faster ;)

Mattymc727
January 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Getting a different QB. Aint winning it with Goldrich unfortunately....

Missingnumber7
January 14th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I see lots of don't get injured comments and I propose this to you. Come playoff time, very few teams are healthy. NDSU lost Beck during the playoffs, who was a key cog in the middle and makes me wonder how different the championship game would've been with him. Vraa wasn't the Vraa everyone knew from the begining of the season. The key word is depth and trusting your younger players to come in and step up, but also have strength and conditioning will allow players to play through some of the small nicks and dings.

Daytripper
January 14th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Coach K said deeper and faster.

That's what she said, also.

dewey
January 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Here are my thoughts on NDSU.

1. Replace SS Colton Heagle and FS Christian Dudzik. Those 2 S's were 4 year starters and been All-American type players.
2. Find 2 OLB's to go along with Nick DeLuca as the MLB. Losing Travis Beck, Esley Thorton and Carleton Littlejohn will be hard but there appear to be lots of talented players but they simply don't have the experience.
3. Replace DE's Mike Hardie and Buck Buchannan award winner Kyle Emanuel. Just like the other D positions there appears to be talent there. Replacing Kyle Emanuel will almos tbe impossible be he was such a special player.
4. Replace C Jesse Hinz on the offensive line.
5. Get 2013 All MVFC OG Zach Johnson back from injury and ready to go.
6. RB's King Frazier and Chase Morlock will need to step it up to replace arguably the best RB in school history. The good thing is that NDSU has always been a good running team so that is why this is lower on my list.

The weird thing was going into the 2014 season the D was going to be the strength of the while the offensive line and QB CArson Wentz got going. In 2015 I think it is the exact opposite. NDSU will be starting 2 new safeties, 2 new OLB's and 2 new DE's. Granted the backups at those positions got crucial playing time this year but being the guy is different. With the offense returning QB-Wentz, All-American LT Haeg, 2013 All-MVFC OG Johnson, RG-Plankers, RT-Lechler, WR-Vraa & Woods along with 2 FB's (Cyr and Bonnet) and TE's that saw significant playing time (Albers, Wentz and Illies) RB's (Frazier and Morlock) and WR's Urzendowski & Perkins the offense should be OUTSTANDING next year while the D gets things settled.

I think NDSU is a national quarterfinal or semi-final type team and if things go right they could challenge for the NC next year again.

Dewey

Winindy
January 14th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Cast the recruiting net outside of the SE. We have enough 5'10" linemen on O and D. Let's find some of those giant farm kids out of the mid-west.

dewey
January 14th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Cast the recruiting net outside of the SE. We have enough 5'10" linemen on O and D. Let's find some of those giant farm kids out of the mid-west.

The GIANT farm kids from the midwest aren't very good since they don't have the 2 and 3 stars next to their name:-)

Dewey

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2015, 11:19 AM
That's what she said, also.

I'm sorry for you, it must suck when you're balls deep and she wants more.

FormerPokeCenter
January 14th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Ouch!

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 14th, 2015, 12:06 PM

1. Replace SS Colton Heagle and FS Christian Dudzik. Those 2 S's were 4 year starters and been All-American type players.
2. Find 2 OLB's to go along with Nick DeLuca as the MLB. Losing Travis Beck, Esley Thorton and Carleton Littlejohn will be hard but there appear to be lots of talented players but they simply don't have the experience.
3. Replace DE's Mike Hardie and Buck Buchannan award winner Kyle Emanuel. Just like the other D positions there appears to be talent there. Replacing Kyle Emanuel will almos tbe impossible be he was such a special player.
6. RB's King Frazier and Chase Morlock will need to step it up to replace arguably the best RB in school history. The good thing is that NDSU has always been a good running team so that is why this is lower on my list.

The weird thing was going into the 2014 season the D was going to be the strength of the while the offensive line and QB CArson Wentz got going. In 2015 I think it is the exact opposite. NDSU will be starting 2 new safeties, 2 new OLB's and 2 new DE's. Granted the backups at those positions got crucial playing time this year but being the guy is different. With the offense returning QB-Wentz, All-American LT Haeg, 2013 All-MVFC OG Johnson, RG-Plankers, RT-Lechler, WR-Vraa & Woods along with 2 FB's (Cyr and Bonnet) and TE's that saw significant playing time (Albers, Wentz and Illies) RB's (Frazier and Morlock) and WR's Urzendowski & Perkins the offense should be OUTSTANDING next year while the D gets things settled.

I think NDSU is a national quarterfinal or semi-final type team and if things go right they could challenge for the NC next year again.

Dewey
Coach K. mentioned Dunn stepping in for Crockett.

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 14th, 2015, 12:09 PM

Dewey
Coach k. said he thinks next years Defense could be better than this years Defense.

dewey
January 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Coach k. said he thinks next years Defense could be better than this years Defense.

I will be happy to eat crow if I am wrong but I think that is just coach talk. There is no way you can lose Heagle, Dudzik, Littlejohn, Emanuel, Hardie, Beck and Thorton and be better. Granted DeLuca, Tanguay, Schaetz, CJ Smith and Champion will more than likely be better but losing those players that started for 3-4 years will be very difficult ot replace.

Dewey

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 14th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I will be happy to eat crow if I am wrong but I think that is just coach talk. There is no way you can lose Heagle, Dudzik, Littlejohn, Emanuel, Hardie, Beck and Thorton and be better. Granted DeLuca, Tanguay, Schaetz, CJ Smith and Champion will more than likely be better but losing those players that started for 3-4 years will be very difficult ot replace.

Dewey
Young guy step up. BISON reload.

thebootfitter
January 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Thing is... we're quite spoiled in Bison Nation. We've said similar things about past great players several times over the years. And yet, the team has continued to shine. Not saying I don't have any doubts, but I am pretty confident in the coaching staff, their recruiting, and their development of young players. I won't be surprised at all to see the defense even stronger in 2015.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Thing is... we're quite spoiled in Bison Nation. We've said similar things about past great players several times over the years. And yet, the team has continued to shine. Not saying I don't have any doubts, but I am pretty confident in the coaching staff, their recruiting, and their development of young players. I won't be surprised at all to see the defense even stronger in 2015.

Mark it down!

The Bison will make the NC game next year!!

tomq04
January 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
EWU is going to need some line backers and conerbacks. The Defensive line is good, but come playoffs nearly the whole line was 2nd string after injuries. Apparently conditioning could be focused on?

Smitty
January 14th, 2015, 01:27 PM
We need to shore up our defense. We were in a good place last year, just in the end too many points given up.

Grizalltheway
January 14th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Ask me after the NDSU game. I really have no idea how we'll look next year until after that one.

lionsrking2
January 14th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Defensively, the Lions are loaded and should be a top 10 defense again in 2015. We have a lot of skill returning on offense and most of our offensive line ... need to find adequate replacement at QB, add depth on the O-line and fill some depth at LB. We've done some of that already through midyear recruiting. As it stands now, we'll have well over 30 seniors.

NDSUSR
January 14th, 2015, 03:35 PM
EWU is going to need some line backers and conerbacks. The Defensive line is good, but come playoffs nearly the whole line was 2nd string after injuries. Apparently conditioning could be focused on?

Shhhh. Dont focus on conditioning. Total waste of time.
EWU needs much improvement on D and to be less predictable with O.

thebootfitter
January 14th, 2015, 05:52 PM
EWU needs much improvement on D and to be less predictable with O.
Less predictable? How do you mean? What do you think they do that makes them predictable? They've got a pretty powerful and balanced offense.

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Less predictable? How do you mean? What do you think they do that makes them predictable? They've got a pretty powerful and balanced offense.
They are too predictable. They are going to either pass or run.

Way too predictable.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Twentysix
January 14th, 2015, 07:16 PM
They are too predictable. They are going to either pass or run.

Way too predictable.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

They should get more flying players to spice up their offense.

JacksTown
January 14th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Win a home playoff game.

However if the lowest bid, I think we can count on being the home team in Frisco!

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2015, 09:30 PM
For the Patriot League teams to win a national title:

Colgate - host every game at Andy Kerr in a snowstorm and hope the title game is not vs. Delaware
Bucknelll - exhume and reanimate the 1935 Orange Bowl team
Holy Cross - bring back Gordie Lockbaum
Fordham - avoid a CAA team
Lehigh - According to their fan-base, they are the proverbial favorites for 2015
Georgetown - downgrade to D-III

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Speaking of Gordie Lockbaum... I was watching a major broadcast (it may have been the Cotton Bowl), and Gordie Lockbaum and Holy Cross were discussed... did anyone else catch this?

mmiller_34
January 14th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Spy on NDSU

Sader87
January 14th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Speaking of Gordie Lockbaum... I was watching a major broadcast (it may have been the Cotton Bowl), and Gordie Lockbaum and Holy Cross were discussed... did anyone else catch this?

We could have been in the Big East and/or the Ivy League.....

chattownmocs
January 15th, 2015, 05:51 AM
The GIANT farm kids from the midwest aren't very good since they don't have the 2 and 3 stars next to their name:-)

Dewey

Winning the national recruiting battle for RB charlie davidson would help.

Bisonator
January 15th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Spy on NDSU

Don't go full Belichick on us.xpeacex

Daytripper
January 15th, 2015, 08:13 AM
SHSU Quarterback Jared Johnson must be more consistent. Must get bigger/stronger in the trenches. If Keeler brings in transfers, I hope they are interior linemen. Skill positions are set.

Well, one of my wishes has been answered... http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/1/14/7549927/curtis-riser-texas-longhorns-transfer-sam-houston-state xnodx

Catsfan90
January 15th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Well, one of my wishes has been answered... http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/1/14/7549927/curtis-riser-texas-longhorns-transfer-sam-houston-state xnodx

Has SHSU always been this transfer heavy? or did this start with the Keeler era?

Daytripper
January 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Has SHSU always been this transfer heavy? or did this start with the Keeler era?

Heavy? - this is only the second one for next year. UAB QB Jeremiah Briscoe is the other one besides Riser. We've always had transfers, just like most FCS programs. The only reason it is a topic now is because Keeler comes in with a reputation (started by disgruntled Hen fans) that he uses too many transfers. And Keeler has stated that will probably bring in 2-3 transfers per year with the rest being HS recruits.

PAllen
January 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Accept the entire Penn State two deep as transfers.

deez_na
January 15th, 2015, 10:19 AM
drop down a division or 2 or 3

UND fan? ;)

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2015, 10:28 AM
We could have been in the Big East and/or the Ivy League.....

Ivy? Dream on! The Big East was your ticket... if you had went to the Big East, you coulda been in the ACC! ...instead of that usurper Boston College...

FormerPokeCenter
January 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Yes, to both...

See "Brett Bomar" et al....

SFA 93
January 15th, 2015, 12:12 PM
They're a commuter school.

Daytripper
January 15th, 2015, 12:18 PM

SFA is as much of a "commuter school" as SHSU. A boatload of your students drive from Lufkin.

Sammy94
January 15th, 2015, 12:38 PM
"Brett Bomar"

Rhett, Josh McCown, Dustin Long, Timothy Flanders......transfers are nothing new for us, Keeler may have found his dream situation.

SFA 93
January 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM
On Offense we need to find our next starting RB with the departure of All-American Gus Johnson.

On the roster...
#12 Fred Ford 6-0; 212 (Sr.)
#23 Joshawa West 5-10; 190 (Jr.)
#27 Cameron Washington 5-10; 190 (Sr.)
#25 Jamarcus Walker 5-8; 170 (Jr.)

Incoming recruits at RB...
Alize Ward 5-11; 190 (Fr.)
Loren Easly 5-11; 200 (Fr.)

Have to develop a very young defense as the Jacks only return three scholarship LBs
#30 Justin Owens 6-1; 220 (Sr.)
#39 Chance Barney 6-1; 230 (So.)

Coming in...
Redshirted freshman LB Ryan Woods 6-1; 220
JUCO transfer Price Miller 6-1; 235 (Jr.)

High School Recruit
Spencer Choka 6-0; 220 (Fr.)

Only return three CBs
#26 Demundre Freeman 5-11; 185 (Sr.)
#7 Corporan Hipolito 6-2; 184 (Jr.)
#21 Eugene Wright 5-9; 177 (Jr.)

Coming in...
Redshirt Freshman
#24 Calvin Lewis Jr. 6-0; 180

Transfers
Tre Rosser 5-10; 175 (Jr.)
Tarrin Mitchell 5-10; 175 (So.)

The defensive and offensive lines are loaded

SFA (the non-commuter School)

knucklehead
January 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Fill the holes on defense and restock with fr and rfr D players. Offense will be ready to roll.

Twentysix
January 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Not sure? Keep on keeping on?

UIWWildthing
January 16th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Towson needed to give their players experience, losing so many starters from the national runners-up in 2013. With a year of experience, plus the transfer of Olson to Towson, I think they may be primed to make a playoff run next season. Championship wise though I'm not sure.

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 16th, 2015, 02:47 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10930845_10153074531104532_5915615094696250215_n.j pg?oh=93f9b6f346c950d405cde86b9f44141b&oe=55654768

JacksTown
January 17th, 2015, 12:28 AM

One of us, One if us..

Houndawg
January 17th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Its the offseason officially, well except for watching all those outstanding seniors try to impress the scouts.

What are you looking for your team to do to improve next year?

I don't think we'll do much, being a basketball school. We'll be about 4-8, worse if we quit like we did this year.

CrazyCat
January 17th, 2015, 12:16 PM
It's all about the defense. With the promotion of LB coach Kane Ioane to co-DC(which if rumors are true. He is actually going to be running the show) the defense will have a tough winter session and every member of the defense will be competing this spring for playing time in the fall.

Ioane, a four-time All-America safety at the turn of the century for Montana State, showed up to work early on Friday morning to check out MSU’s first Friday workout of winter conditioning. MSU strength and conditioning coach Alex Wilcox threw Ioane into the workout with the players. After an hour of sweating alongside his charges, MSU head coach Rob Ash came into Brick Breeden Fieldhouse and announced the promotion to Ioane and the team.

“It was fun to watch their reaction,” Ioane said. “It was almost like an initiation. I show up for workouts this morning at 6 a.m. and Coach Wilcox throws me in the workout with the guys. So I battled through an entire hour workout with the team, got through it fortunately with some much needed support (laughs). At the end, Coach made the announcement to them and it felt like I’d just gotten initiated into the role.”

http://bobcatnation.com/node/1305

Lehigh'98
January 19th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Colgate - host every game at Andy Kerr in a snowstorm and hope the title game is not vs. Delaware
Lehigh - According to their fan-base, they are the proverbial favorites for 2015

I've heard no one even mention that Lehigh will be top half of PL in 2015. Nice attempt though. You didn't include Lafayette in your list either. Maybe if they scheduled all 11 games in Yankee Stadium vs. Lehigh??

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the support.

bobcathpdevil56
January 21st, 2015, 12:05 AM
Recruit 1 Mean Joe Greene, 1 Ray Lewis, 1 Jack Lambert, and 2 Ronnie Lotts. All in their prime. Bang. Problem solved.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 21st, 2015, 09:52 AM
For the Bison:

Offense will be better in '15. Vraa returning will help the WR depth. Strength of the team to start the season.

Defense will need to replace some great players but there is great talent coming up. Spring ball will be interesting.