PDA

View Full Version : Do JMU and ISU still have an outside shot at a seed?

BDKJMU
November 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
#1. ASU regular season done
#2 Montana home vs #15 MSU
#3. UMass home vs Hofstra
#4. NDSU home vs #19 SDSU
#5 YSU regular season over
#6 ISU @ #20 UNI
#7 JMU @ #24 Towson

GPI:
1 Massachusetts 9-1
2 Appalachian St 10-1
3 N Dakota St 9-1 (ineligible for playoffs)
4 Montana 9-1
5 Youngstown St 9-2
6 James Madison 8-2
7 Illinois St 8-2

Right after the JMU loss to Nova if someone had told me JMU still had a shot at one of the seeds I would have probably said they were smoking crack. But looking at the polls JMU is 7th and ISU is 6th. Since NDSU is ineligible for the playoffs, that leaves ISU and JMU in line to possibily get the last seed if one or both ofthem win and Montana is upset by MSU. In the highly unlikely event UMass was upset by Hofstra they would still maintain the A-10 AQ, likely wouldn't fall farther than 5th or 6th in the polls, and since they're #1 right now in the GPI, likely would only slip to 4th or 5th, and would still get the last seed at 9-2 over a 9-2 JMU as the A-10 autobid. If you look at the GPI JMU and ISU are flipped, with JMU 6th and ISU 7th. If Montana is upset and JMU and ISU both win, would that drop Montana out of one of the seeds? My guess is it would drop them from #2 to 5th in the polls. But in the GPI, something the selection committee looks at more than the polls, Montana is currently 4th, and a loss would probably drop them from anywhere just one spot to 5th, still ahead of JMU & ISU, to 7th, behind JMU & ISU. If by chance Montana was upset and they fell behind JMU and/or ISU in the GPI and in the eyes of the selection committee, who would more likely get the seed, JMU as either a 2nd A-10 seed or ISU as a 2nd Gateway seed? If MSU pulls the upset over Montana and Montana drops out of a seed and with JMU and ISU both playing ranked teams on the road, if one of them wins big and one wins in a squeaker, then maybe the last seed would go to the team that won big. I know if Towson wins they're in, and UNI is already out of the playoff picture, so that points to JMU having the tougher game. Of course if either lost, then of course the other one would get it. Alot of ifs, and, ors, and buts here. I know I will be rooting for JMU, MSU, and UNI this week. Any thoughts on this?

th0m
November 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
ASU and YSU have locked up a seed. That much is true. The real question is, if Montana loses, they'd have the same record as us, albeit with a I-A loss. Do you give a seed to a 2nd Gateway or A-10 team, or to an at large from the Big Sky, with undoubtedly the best resume all things considered outside of the wins and losses.

I see UMass still getting a seed over us if they lose and we win. Simply because they'd still get the A-10 auto-bid.

Umass74
November 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I think JMU could get a seed if both UMass and Montana loose .

I think Montana has the best (worse?) chance of loosing simply because Montana-Montana State is such a rivalry.

If UMass wins and Montana looses, they could just swap seeds.

Don't want to even think about loosing to Hofstra :)

th0m
November 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I thought the chances of losing to Villanova weren't very large either but it still happened...ouch. Their win over Richmond did raise a red flag though.

UMass should roll over Hofstra, but crazier things have happened...

Umass74
November 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hofstra gives us fits. We're 3-6 overall against the pride.

And 2-4 at McGuirk (ouch!)

The killer was 2002. With 9 seconds left UMass had driven to the Hofstra 6 yard line. We had already made a comeback to make the total 31-28 Hofstra.

Whipple used our last time out to set up a pass play for Tim Day, a true freshman, who was playing because Jeff Krohn was out with a concussion.

Whipple told him to take a quick look and if there was nothing there to wing it into stands and we would kick the chip shot field goal to send the game into overtime.

Our WR Zullo reminded Day in the huddle. During the play he got pressure and tried to scramble and got sacked. Which ran out the clock so the Pride won, which knocked us out of the playoffs :bawling:

NYSigma
November 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Very well could happen...If so then this article will be a moot point!!

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-hu1116,0,2047088.story?track=rss