PDA

View Full Version : Coach Moglia doing interview on NY 660 radio

Lehigh'98
January 4th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Fantastic interview. Really impressive guy.

Drblankstare
January 4th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I really feel that if he stays at Coastal, he's going to build a monster program. Its probably only a matter of time before the bigger boys start coming after him.

rokamortis
January 4th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I really feel that if he stays at Coastal, he's going to build a monster program. Its probably only a matter of time before the bigger boys start coming after him.

Depends on what you mean by bigger boys. He's started that he doesn't need the money and wants to compete for a championship so unless it is a decent FBS school I don't see him being interested in rebuilding something at a low level FBS.

clenz
January 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Depends on what you mean by bigger boys. He's started that he doesn't need the money and wants to compete for a championship so unless it is a decent FBS school I don't see him being interested in rebuilding something at a low level FBS.
I want to compete for a title too....unless you want to take my salary from less than 300k (no idea what he makes but Farley at UNI might be the highest FCS base at 350k) to 4 or 5 times that. Then ill gladly go from wanting to compete for a fcs title to wanting to take on the next challenge and prove i can coach at the highest level and win

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I want to compete for a title too....unless you want to take my salary from less than 300k (no idea what he makes but Farley at UNI might be the highest FCS base at 350k) to 4 or 5 times that. Then ill gladly go from wanting to compete for a fcs title to wanting to take on the next challenge and prove i can coach at the highest level and win

He's reportedly worth a billion dollars. What's 1.4 million going to do?

NDSUtk
January 4th, 2015, 11:10 AM
His base salary when he started was 175k according to USA today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/10/03/joe-moglia-coastal-carolina/1611215/

Here is a great (long) read from ESPN this past summer on him. He is a very unique guy. I am a fan.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11055733&src=desktop

Question for Coastal folks...in the USA today article, it says his wife lives in Omaha. I know that is an old article. When CCU was coming to play NDSU, I thought some CCU fans commented that he loves the CCU area and that's why you think he will stay. Has his wife now moved there? My biggest worry would be he moving on from CCU, for the programs sake.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2015, 11:11 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/10/03/joe-moglia-coastal-carolina/1611215/

Here is a great (long) read from ESPN this past summer on him. He is a very unique guy. I am a fan.

Question for Coastal folks...in the USA today article, it says his wife lives in Omaha. I know that is an old article. When CCU was coming to play NDSU, I thought some CCU fans commented that he loves the CCU area and that's why you think he will stay. Has his wife now moved there? My biggest worry would be he moving on from CCU, for the programs sake.

They have an enormous house in Omaha (home of TD Ameritrade). With his age, I wonder how long he'll do this with the travel requirement and the year round commitment.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Moglia seems like he could be the next Chip Kelly. He has a tremendously high ceiling imo....

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Moglia seems like he could be the next Chip Kelly. He has a tremendously high ceiling imo....

Except he's 65 years old. That means the next group of recruits, if they redshirt will have a 70 year old coach as seniors. This seems to me like little more than a hobby or a vanity project for him. I don't mean that negatively, he obviously has done a lot for the school and the program but I doubt if a P5 school will want him for a head coach. They are looking for more long term than I think he is able to give.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Except he's 65 years old. That means the next group of recruits, if they redshirt will have a 70 year old coach as seniors. This seems to me like little more than a hobby or a vanity project for him. I don't mean that negatively, he obviously has done a lot for the school and the program but I doubt if a P5 school will want him for a head coach. They are looking for more long term than I think he is able to give.

I was thinking more along the longs of rapid accomplishment. He could go from FCS head coach to a major front office position with a NFL team to finish out his professional career....

rokamortis
January 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM

I have no idea what his family arrangements are but he stated his wife is from Columbia, SC and they bought a house in Pawley's Island (not far from Coastal) before even hearing about the Coastal job. He has stated that he likes the area but I doubt it is enough for him to stay if the right job comes up. I thought we might lose him when the Nebraska job was open.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I was thinking more along the longs of rapid accomplishment. He could go from FCS head coach to a major front office position with a NFL team to finish out his professional career....

How much of that bull**** do you think he wants to deal with? I think he got a job in a super laid back beach community in a low pressure league with a team that had a foothold in success. This is the perfect situation for him.

He doesn't need the money or hassle.

rokamortis
January 4th, 2015, 11:57 AM
How much of that bull**** do you think he wants to deal with? I think he got a job in a super laid back beach community in a low pressure league with a team that had a foothold in success. This is the perfect situation for him.

He doesn't need the money or hassle.

He's said he wants to coach. He'll coach until he's 70, or so but doesn't see him coaching beyond that. His age is probably a hinderance in getting the right job.

He's said schools have contacted him but haven't been better than what he has at Coastal. He is grateful for Coastal giving him a chance when no one else would. But he has said he would leave if the right opportunity came up - the type of hob where the president, board, boosters ... etc say "that is a great opportunity and you have to take it." I interpret that as a good P5 school. I think the possibility of that happening are pretty slim, especially since Nebraska filled its position.

centennial
January 4th, 2015, 05:03 PM
He's said he wants to coach. He'll coach until he's 70, or so but doesn't see him coaching beyond that. His age is probably a hinderance in getting the right job.

He's said schools have contacted him but haven't been better than what he has at Coastal. He is grateful for Coastal giving him a chance when no one else would. But he has said he would leave if the right opportunity came up - the type of hob where the president, board, boosters ... etc say "that is a great opportunity and you have to take it." I interpret that as a good P5 school. I think the possibility of that happening are pretty slim, especially since Nebraska filled its position.
If he leaves if won't be for money, it will be for the next opportunity to do something challenging. Regardless, he is an excellent coach and the team CCU brought to the Fargodome was much better than last year.

kdinva
January 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM
He's reportedly worth a billion dollars. What's 1.4 million going to do?

add 6,000 seats to Brooks Stadium....:D

Bisonwinagn
January 4th, 2015, 07:36 PM

There are lots of 60 plus year old coaches in FBS and some over 70. This is not even an issue.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2015, 07:50 PM
There are lots of 60 plus year old coaches in FBS and some over 70. This is not even an issue.

How many of those are newly hired?

clenz
January 4th, 2015, 09:22 PM
And first time

Bisonwinagn
January 5th, 2015, 12:08 AM

For one Nebraska hired a 61 year old coach. That would have been a great fit for Moglia in my opinion.

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM
For one Nebraska hired a 61 year old coach. That would have been a great fit for Moglia in my opinion.
A 61 year old that spent 20 years in the PAC12 as a head coach or OC and time in the NFL as a HC.

You don't see a difference there?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Joe Moglia, AD at Coastal, with the football team playing at 16,000 Moglia Field sounds just about right to me.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I like Coach Moglia. He was very classy when the Bison played CC the past 2 playoffs. I get the feeling he is coaching because he likes it and has fun with it. Not so much about money or the "bigtime" so to speak. I'd say it's more of a hobby then career to him. Don't take that the wrong way, he's a very good coach.

rokamortis
January 5th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I like Coach Moglia. He was very classy when the Bison played CC the past 2 playoffs. I get the feeling he is coaching because he likes it and has fun with it. Not so much about money or the "bigtime" so to speak. I'd say it's more of a hobby then career to him. Don't take that the wrong way, he's a very good coach.

I get what you are saying but I would call it more of a passion than a hobby. He's said before that coaching isn't fun, it is hard work. A hobby implies that he may not be giving it your full attention, but he is treating it very seriously and is putting the time and effort in you would expect of any FCS coach. When he volunteered at Nebraska for 2 years they said he was working just as hard as any of the other coaches.

rokamortis
January 5th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Joe Moglia, AD at Coastal, with the football team playing at 16,000 Moglia Field sounds just about right to me.

I think him being AD would be great, I just don't think he wants to do it. I hope we can get him on our board when he retires from coaching.

The field has already been named and I don't see him building us a new stadium.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I get what you are saying but I would call it more of a passion than a hobby. He's said before that coaching isn't fun, it is hard work. A hobby implies that he may not be giving it your full attention, but he is treating it very seriously and is putting the time and effort in you would expect of any FCS coach. When he volunteered at Nebraska for 2 years they said he was working just as hard as any of the other coaches.

A lot of people are very passionate and work hard at their hobbies. I don't agree with him that it isn't fun, if it wasn't why would he be doing it?

CasualFan
January 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Regarding his pay, Google "SC State Salary Database" -- the salaries of all SC employees making over $50k/year are a matter of public record. The information is probably not current, but it gets you a pretty good idea.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 5th, 2015, 01:45 PM
That's tip money for him.

walliver
January 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Regarding his pay, Google "SC State Salary Database" -- the salaries of all SC employees making over $50k/year are a matter of public record. The information is probably not current, but it gets you a pretty good idea.

This year's numbers:
http://transparency.sc.gov/BCB/transparency/BCB-state-salary-query.phtm?Agency=COASTAL+CAROLINA+UNIVERSITY&JobTitle=All&Surname=Moglia&f_submit=Submit

But note this from the site:
'Due to the limitations of HRIS, the compensation for the employees of The Citadel, Clemson University, College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina University, Francis Marion University, Lander University, South Carolina State University, University of South Carolina, Winthrop University, Medical University of South Carolina, and the Technical College System does not include all types of pay."

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 02:39 PM
This year's numbers:
http://transparency.sc.gov/BCB/transparency/BCB-state-salary-query.phtm?Agency=COASTAL+CAROLINA+UNIVERSITY&JobTitle=All&Surname=Moglia&f_submit=Submit

But note this from the site:
'Due to the limitations of HRIS, the compensation for the employees of The Citadel, Clemson University, College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina University, Francis Marion University, Lander University, South Carolina State University, University of South Carolina, Winthrop University, Medical University of South Carolina, and the Technical College System does not include all types of pay."

citdog must have got to them

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM
That's tip money for him.

where does he eat?

ace93
January 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joe Moglia, AD at Fordham, with the football team playing at 16,000 Moglia Field sounds just about right to me.

Fixed that for you. ;)

If Moorhead leaves Fordham, I would not be shocked if Moglia at minimum listened to what Fordham has to say. He really wanted the job when it was open and has a true love for his alma mater. It would be viewed as a step down, but I don't think he'd care about that as much as others would.

rokamortis
January 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Fixed that for you. ;)

If Moorhead leaves Fordham, I would not be shocked if Moglia at minimum listened to what Fordham has to say. He really wanted the job when it was open and has a true love for his alma mater. It would be viewed as a step down, but I don't think he'd care about that as much as others would.

Why didn't Fordham hire him?

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Studied at Delaware , actually he probably didn't need to study because he just gets it

NDSU Fan
January 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have a link to his first press conference when he was first hired? Thanks in advance!

rokamortis
January 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have a link to his first press conference when he was first hired? Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-OivhNwWQ

NDSU Fan
January 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-OivhNwWQ

Thanks, that was great!