PDA

View Full Version : S.C. State football coach Buddy Pugh on move to HBCU bowl game

bluedog
January 2nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
“I can tell you we have to figure some stuff about the finances of playoffs, because from that end, it’s been disappointing,” Pough said. “Even when we have been involved, there’s not a lot of money to be made. When you start seeing people like the App States and Georgia Southerns of the world looking for a better answer, that’s an indicator that something needs to be done ... it’s a conundrum of sorts for us.

Read (http://thetandd.com/sports/things-are-going-to-change-s-c-state-football-coach/article_a8f7486c-9138-11e4-80c6-afa9f336445b.html)

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2015, 11:09 AM
Kind of tough to make money on playoff games when you host 1 or none games every year.

DSUrocks07
January 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Kind of tough to make money on playoff games when you host 1 or none games every year.

THIS.

Is what a LOT of people are missing, schools that "lose money" on playoff games are only those that host games and don't sell them out. Travel expenses for the away teams are fully covered by the NCAA.

Pro-HBCU bowl people point to BCU and SC State and the attendance of those games. Compared to the attendance of what a bowl game "would be", (the MEAC-SWAC challenge says otherwise), and that even the teams that don't make it to the game would pocket a few pennies (literally pennies when you do the math, $1 million isn't a whole lot for a 13 team conference), compared to "getting nothing" from the playoff appearances.

Honestly tho, in the grand scheme of things, this bowl game would be great for some schools, not others. And I truly hope that those that this game does NOT benefit will make the necessary moves and choices when it comes to the aftermath of this decision.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2015, 11:31 AM
THIS.

Is what a LOT of people are missing, schools that "lose money" on playoff games are only those that host games and don't sell them out. Travel expenses for the away teams are fully covered by the NCAA.

Pro-HBCU bowl people point to BCU and SC State and the attendance of those games. Compared to the attendance of what a bowl game "would be", (the MEAC-SWAC challenge says otherwise), and that even the teams that don't make it to the game would pocket a few pennies (literally pennies when you do the math, $1 million isn't a whole lot for a 13 team conference), compared to "getting nothing" from the playoff appearances.

Honestly tho, in the grand scheme of things, this bowl game would be great for some schools, not others. And I truly hope that those that this game does NOT benefit will make the necessary moves and choices when it comes to the aftermath of this decision.

I imagine that is the rule, not the exception.

Round 1 playoff games are notoriously poorly attended. App State routinely packed 27k into Kidd Brewer Stadium and would see that number drop by half a week later for a playoff game.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
THIS.

Sort of. For example, the teams' and coaches' travel is covered, but not the band or cheerleaders' expenses.

Dane96
January 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM
As much as they are a great addition, the playoffs are not for travelling bands or cheerleaders. Red herring.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 2nd, 2015, 02:26 PM
As much as they are a great addition, the playoffs are not for travelling bands or cheerleaders. Red herring.

No doubt. Didn't get that point at all. To most of us that is a WGAF but it would be nice type thing.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 02:41 PM
No doubt. Didn't get that point at all. To most of us that is a WGAF but it would be nice type thing.

"Travel expenses" mean different things to different schools, a point that, of all people, you should know about.

In the bowl world I believe it's actually a requirement for the schools to put up the support squads. It certainly is for the big bowls.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
"Travel expenses" mean different things to different schools, a point that, of all people, you should know about.

In the bowl world I believe it's actually a requirement for the schools to put up the support squads. It certainly is for the big bowls.

Why should I of all people know about it? I just don't think it's a big deal and if schools want to have it then raise the money I guess but I'd much rather see playoff teams keeping a bigger cut of cash than having that be paid for.

I have no doubt that bowls are different. FCS doesn't have the financial backing to the big "family entertainment" type thing they go with for bowls. Pretty trimmed down to just the football as opposed to the show of it all. Don't be offended on this I just think it a who cares type issue in relation to what should be rectified first etc.

I'll bet there are many, many college sports where the championship travel costs do not allow bands, cheerleaders, etc. to go along for the ride. It's the nature of the excess dollars or more precisely the lack thereof.

DSUrocks07
January 2nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
Sort of. For example, the teams' and coaches' travel is covered, but not the band or cheerleaders' expenses.

And they shouldn't TBH

But we all know the importance of the band to HBCUs. Which brings up another thing to consider when it comes to this HBCU Championship game. Guaranteed ticket sales at the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers stadiums, band travel, etc. $1 million is the compensation for all of that? This thing is going to BLEED money. But hey, "it's our own thing" right?

bluedog
January 2nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
And they shouldn't TBH

But we all know the importance of the band to HBCUs. Which brings up another thing to consider when it comes to this HBCU Championship game. Guaranteed ticket sales at the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers stadiums, band travel, etc. $1 million is the compensation for all of that? This thing is going to BLEED money. But hey, "it's our own thing" right?

How about trying not to make comments as if they are facts when in fact you don't know what's covered?

Or did I miss the announcement?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 03:20 PM
Why should I of all people know about it?

Egriz/SDSU fans quote from O'Day a few years ago:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?10201-Montana-s-AD-ponders-the-move-to-the-WAC-and-FCS-financial-woes

The FCS playoff system is hurting financially. We produced $1.1 million of last year’s budget of $2.5 million. The other 11 games produced less than $1 million TOTAL. The NCAA lost almost $500,000 again, and it will not continue to tolerate to follow this plan. Now we’ve added another round and four more teams…. Being on the committee, and as chair, I know this is a major concern to the NCAA – and a last-gasp reason for changing to Frisco, Texas, in hopes of attracting more attention and support. It won’t help to move the championship back three weeks into January – let alone that it will be taking place 40 minutes away from the Cotton Bowl, which has also been moved to that night. So much for FCS exposure on national television. Just to keep the student-athletes on campus during Christmas will also cost the two schools in the championship an additional $100,000 – none of which is budgeted. And to put in perspective, we LOST $150,000 each of the past two year going to the championship game. Had we won, the incentives for coaches would have put the losses over $200,000 each time. We get no additional revenue for any of this.

Elsewhere (I forget where), it was stated the reason Montana "lost money" on the FCS championship was that they paid to have their spirit teams, including the band and cheerleaders go to the championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Incidentally, I unearthed this gem. To think there was a time when the NCAA and AGS members didn't want to dull down the playoffs...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?17144-Bands-in-the-playoffs

ursus arctos horribilis
January 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Egriz/SDSU fans quote from O'Day a few years ago:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?10201-Montana-s-AD-ponders-the-move-to-the-WAC-and-FCS-financial-woes

Elsewhere (I forget where), it was stated the reason Montana "lost money" on the FCS championship was that they paid to have their spirit teams, including the band and cheerleaders go to the championship.

I honestly don't read egriz but I do know all about that but don't know why it would change my mind. If UM wants to carry everyone along then don't bitch about it...we've known the rules for a long, long time but I guess I see why you said I should know about it...I do know about it but I don't think it should be something that is welfared into this system considering the budget of the thing.

BTW, we had O'day on the show a few weeks back and we went into depth on the playoff stuff but didn't concern ourselves with that issue one bit cuz it's not even on the radar...even a little bit.

I'd be downright pissed off if some team was able to bring in their band, cheerleaders, parents, whatever on the dime we were making for the tournament before we got a little better deal on hosting the thing and keeping some of the money that our fans bring to the table for it. I ain't buying my ticket so I can see your cheerleaders and your band.

BisonFan02
January 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
I honestly don't read egriz but I do know all about that but don't know why it would change my mind. If UM wants to carry everyone along then don't bitch about it...we've known the rules for a long, long time but I guess I see why you said I should know about it...I do know about it but I don't think it should be something that is welfared into this system considering the budget of the thing.

BTW, we had O'day on the show a few weeks back and we went into depth on the playoff stuff but didn't concern ourselves with that issue one bit cuz it's not even on the radar...even a little bit.

I'd be downright pissed off if some team was able to bring in their band, cheerleaders, parents, whatever on the dime we were making for the tournament before we got a little better deal on hosting the thing and keeping some of the money that our fans bring to the table for it. I ain't buying my ticket so I can see your cheerleaders and your band.

THIS! SHSU brought their band to Fargo...and they should be paying for it...not the NCAA or NDSU indirectly off the gate.

Bisonator
January 2nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Anyone have the numbers from say the last 10 years of the playoffs? Is there data available somewhere or is it NCAA's little secret?? I find it hard to believe they haven't made a good amount the last 4 years.

WestCoastAggie
January 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Anyone have the numbers from say the last 10 years of the playoffs? Is there data available somewhere or is it NCAA's little secret?? I find it hard to believe they haven't made a good amount the last 4 years.

the NCAA loses money on all playoffs except for March Madness. I saw a chart a long time ago that demonstrated this that came from the NCAA's website.

IBleedYellow
January 4th, 2015, 04:14 PM
the NCAA loses money on all playoffs except for March Madness. I saw a chart a long time ago that demonstrated this that came from the NCAA's website.

I just don't buy it. When NDSU and UM are in the playoffs those two schools can fund everyone elses travel alone. Especially when either has more than 1 home playoff game.

bluedog
January 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I just don't buy it. When NDSU and UM are in the playoffs those two schools can fund everyone elses travel alone. Especially when either has more than 1 home playoff game.

FBS programs in sheep clothing, everybody knows that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

marenlee
January 4th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Wow. How many FBS teams actually make money off bowl games??? Most don't.

clenz
January 4th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Almost zero.

By that i mean less than 5-10 per year...if that

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

number1
January 5th, 2015, 12:59 AM

They make it back from the conference revenue sharing and TV deals, so it's no big deal to them. Well the Power 5 at least. Not sure about the Group of 5 teams.

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 02:12 AM
“Even if we do something for a year or two, it’s an experiment trying to get better. As a conference, we have to give more schools incentive to get better at football. We had five teams split our conference championship this year, and to me, that’s an indication that more people are trying to get better.”

-S.C. State Coach Buddy Pough

IMO he hits the nail on the head with this quote. The MEAC has the potential to be just as good as any other conference on the field, and I would love to see them continue improving. I hate seeing them leave the playoffs because IMO, I'd rather see them become more competitive instead of giving up. The more competitive teams there are involved, the more exciting it will be to watch. If this eventually becomes a four conference showdown, I don't feel as though it will be as interesting to watch. The culture that the MEAC brings, also brings a different market to the playoffs.