PDA

View Full Version : Experience Factor

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 03:32 PM
NDSU's seniors have been a part of 60 games over the past 4 seasons.

Illinois State's seniors have been part of 49.

Is playing in--or being part of game prep--11 more times (basically an extra regular season) in their career a worth while note to discuss?

Paramators for discussion:

1. Topic assumes not all players PLAY in all games of their career
2. Topic assumes experience is not the be-all-end-all in success
3. Topic does not take into account JUCO transfers.

Interesting points for discussion:

1. What intangible skills could be difference makers with extra games?
2. Compare NDSU's--or other playoff regulars--extra playing time to bottom programs; is this an aspect of lifting a program out of the cellar of a conference that has been over looked?
3. Does having extra game experience factor in when matching up with "southern speed"?
4. Is fatigue an issue?

Ive provided some good food for thought here. I want a good, constructive, Christmas discussion.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I don't think the # of games matters as much as having gone through the "circus" that surrounds the trip to Frisco. Also, especially on D, guys like Emanuel, Heagle, and Dudzik have been fixtures on all 3 championship teams. There's a lot of leadership on this Bison team that has "been there".

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I don't think the # of games matters as much as having gone through the "circus" that surrounds the trip to Frisco. Also, especially on D, guys like Emanuel, Heagle, and Dudzik have been fixtures on all 3 championship teams. There's a lot of leadership on this Bison team that has "been there".

Certainly. Do you think those extra games helped some of those who didn't start in the past (Wentz) to continue the push of success this year?

For example, I don't think Wentz is the most athletically gifted QB. But watching him play he is confident and he KNOWS he NDSU offense very well-- I dont feel the same about Zach Lujan who will probably replace Sumner next year.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Certainly. Do you think those extra games helped some of those who didn't start in the past (Wentz) to continue the push of success this year?

For example, I don't think Wentz is the most athletically gifted QB. But watching him play he is confident and he KNOWS he NDSU offense very well-- I dont feel the same about Zach Lujan who will probably replace Sumner next year.

For the younger guys, extra reps on the scout team and in the meeting rooms never hurts. The biggest thing NDSU had to learn after their first FCS playoff run (2010) was how to recruit before it hits the silent period. That is a learning curve for a coaching staff and can cause some teams a lost/down recruiting class.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I saw that you edited your post, but Wentz is EXTREMELY athletic...at 6'6" and 230lbs+, he can move and has a big arm.

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I saw that you edited your post, but Wentz is EXTREMELY athletic...at 6'6" and 230lbs+, he can move and has a big arm.

Of course he is athletic--we SDSU fans know that first hand. I think you mis interpreted what I wrote. I said he wasn't the MOST athletically gifted. My point was that he isnt Russel Wilson and he his athleticism isn't the exclusive reason for NDSU's success.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 24th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Wentz not athletically gifted? You very wrong there. Check this out. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001505&draftyear=2016&genpos=QB

Wentz is ranked 24 out 131 QB's for this years draft as a Junior.

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Good lord people.

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Wentz not athletically gifted? You very wrong there. Check this out. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001505&draftyear=2016&genpos=QB

Wentz is ranked 24 out 131 QB's for this years draft as a Junior.

By the way that is for the 2016 draft class.

Austin Sumner is rated 43rd out of 140 prospects this year. I don't think he is the most athletic QB either. Can we move on?

I want to talk about the development of Wentz. The experiences he has gained at NDSU that set him up for success this year.

Green1
December 24th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Good lord people.

LOL. Now you did it! Question our QB will you??? xsplatx

Seriously, good topic of discussion mmiller!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 24th, 2014, 04:03 PM

Really?

NFL scouts seem to like him.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Yeah.....I was gonna let it go...but couldn't. :D He gon' done it now!

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 04:10 PM

If they read beyond..."not the most athletic"...they would see I actually gave the guy a compliment for his smarts and confidence.

Green1
December 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM
If they read beyond..."not the most athletic"...they would see I actually gave the guy a compliment for his smarts and confidence.

You got yourself into this mess...

I think a 500 word essay on why "Carson Wentz is the best QB in FCS football" might do the trick and get you out of this situation. :D

Good Luck!

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 04:25 PM

I think a 500 word essay on why "Carson Wentz is the best QB in FCS football" might do the trick and get you out of this situation. :D

Good Luck!

Ill make it a blog post. Give me a deadline of January 15th.

Green1
December 24th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Ill make it a blog post. Give me a deadline of January 15th.

Since Carson's season is still ongoing, I think that would only be fair. xnodx

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Good Luck!

For clarification reasons. Being the best QB in FCS and the most athletic QB in FCS are not always the same. I think, anyway.

for example, Wentz's development and the way NDSU prepped him for success made him one of the best QB in FCS.

There has been a history with NDSU developing those QBs. In D-1 era, Walker, Jensen, Wentz. SDSU has developed a couple of good ones, Berry and Sumner but they have never experienced the level of success as the three mentioned above.

JSUBison
December 24th, 2014, 04:43 PM
When was it, the beginning of last year after the 2nd National Championship, there was talk about Wentz being better than Jensen. There wasn't a full blown qb controversy or anything, but I do remember the thought was out there that Wentz may have been the better QB, but how do you bench Jensen? You don't obviously. Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I don't think it was message board honks saying that. Coaches statement? Kolpack?

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 04:54 PM
When was it, the beginning of last year after the 2nd National Championship, there was talk about Wentz being better than Jensen. There wasn't a full blown qb controversy or anything, but I do remember the thought was out there that Wentz may have been the better QB, but how do you bench Jensen? You don't obviously. Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I don't think it was message board honks saying that. Coaches statement? Kolpack?

I remember people talking about that. I think people always knew he was next and that he would be more than ready to take the reigns. Wentz will be back next year and he will be good.

I think that is why is topic is so interesting because of the extra games, extra prep, extra meetings, extra time on football in general has been key in keeping winners ahead of the curve. What will happen in 2016? I believe the extra games today will impact those in the future.

Similar situation is happening at SDSU right now. We have lost a senior class that has brought an expectation of playoffs to SDSU. Have we had enough extra experience to give us a leg up on development for our underclassmen to keep us ahead of the game? We will see.

Sycamore62
December 24th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Ok I skipped a few posts but regarding someone's athletic gift, if someone had a super accurate cannon arm and was football smart who was tall and big(durable) and moved like his feet were in sand, they would be ranked #1 out of everybody for NFL QBs

semobison
December 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM

Since we are talking about athleticly gifted, I think Carson is more gifted than Brock was but for most Bison fans, Brock leading us to three Natty's is ultimately how Bison QB's are measured!

Bisonator
December 24th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure that 11 more games played is necessarily a huge advantage but what people seem to miss is all of the additional practice time, film study, etc. that comes with additional playoff games. That really plays a huge factor in younger players developing faster then those who don't make the post season.

mmiller_34
December 24th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure that 11 more games played is necessarily a huge advantage but what people seem to miss is all of the additional practice time, film study, etc. that comes with additional playoff games. That really plays a huge factor in younger players developing faster then those who don't make the post season.

Those extra meetings, film study, practice time also helps with chemistry between teammates. A QB and a WR who always know what each other is thinking is a fun thing to watch.

Green1
December 25th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Are you proposing the idea, that a multi-championship team, by it's very nature creates a environment that feeds back upon itself? In other words, it propagates itself through repetition, recruitment and experience?

I guess the idea is hard to argue against except it is rare. If this was the case, we would see team after team do the same as the Bison. Except, we don't. This is something special. Whether that means 3 straight is the end, or we see number 4, it has been, and always will be, something I will tell my children about.

Experience is what tells you what you should do. Talent is what allows you to do it. Both may be in play.