PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise Team of 2014? Biggest Disappointment?

Milktruck74
December 23rd, 2014, 04:04 PM
I'd say my Mocs had a pretty strong showing in the playoffs, and changed the minds of some doubters...but my biggest surprise team is Western Carolina, they had a solid year and really have something to build on for the future. Spier is making waves and I think they will be a force int he SoCon real soon.

The Biggest disappointment goes to the Furman Furple....lots of build up and they loses a few players.....and an awful season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 23rd, 2014, 04:10 PM
Biggest Surprise - Illinois State, a trip to Frisco, really? Indiana State runner-up

Biggest Disappointment - Furman, I had them in the Top 10 to start the year. Almost everyone had them in the Top 20. Runner-up, William & Mary they never seemed to get their traction and slept walked through most of the year....

Missingnumber7
December 23rd, 2014, 04:14 PM
Biggest Supprise: Illinois St, Chatty, SHSU---yes transfers do add up but I didn't think they would make it that far, they came together far faster than I thought.

Biggest Dissapointment: EWU has to be up there, MSU although it tends to be a regular issue with them, Furman

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Going back and looking at my preseason poll the teams I were the most wrong about was McNeese State (for disappointing - I had them ranked at #8 to start the year) and Illinois State (didn't even have them in my top 40).

GoAgs72
December 23rd, 2014, 04:39 PM
Surprise: Idaho State, Indiana State
Disappointment: UC Davis - just not getting this FCS thing after a successful DII history.

bonarae
December 23rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Surprise: Illinois State, Chattanooga
Disappointment: Princeton, Furman

Sammy94
December 23rd, 2014, 04:50 PM
Surprise: Sam Houston & Chatty
Disappointment: McNeese & SELA

BEAR
December 23rd, 2014, 05:04 PM
Surprise: Sammy

Nuetral: UCA . could have gone either way.

Disappointment: McNeese

Mattymc727
December 23rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Id add Delaware to the Disappointment's. Cant be down for this long, can they? 2010 wasn't too long ago....

NY Crusader 2010
December 23rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Biggest surprise: Idaho State -- prior to this year almost all their wins since 2009 have been against DII and NAIAs.
Biggest disappointment: McNeese State -- how the mighty fell after the Nebraska game...

I don't consider Delaware a disappointment, especially after the 69-0 loss to Pitt. If anything, they over-performed IMO.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Chatty and Chatty

Catsfan90
December 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Surprise: NDSU. They faced a lot of adversity and doubting during the preseason, after they lost their starters. Here they are proving nay sayers wrong once again.

Disappointment: Villanova. They had an outstanding year, but their kicking game ruined them. I would have loved to have seen them in the semis

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
Surprise: Indiana State - nobody and I mean nobody had them pegged as a playoff team!

Disappointment: Furman - I thought they'd win the SoCon and make another playoff run.

superman7515
December 23rd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Id add Delaware to the Disappointment's. Cant be down for this long, can they? 2010 wasn't too long ago....

Coach is already talking about turning things around in 2016, so don't get your hopes up for next year either.

NY Crusader 2010
December 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Disappointment: Villanova. They had an outstanding year, but their kicking game ruined them. I would have loved to have seen them in the semis

A healthy Robertson and I say they beat SHSU and give the Bison all they can handle in Fargo.

Catsfan90
December 23rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
A healthy Robertson and I say they beat SHSU and give the Bison all they can handle in Fargo.
Idk. I'm always really weary to say that a team lost due to not having one player. Look at a team like Ohio state for instance. Third string quarterback, and they still blew out of the water. One player shouldn't be the only reason you have success.

KPSUL
December 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Biggest disappointment: Towson Surprise: Liberty

Chatty and ISUr had breakout seasons but were probably playoff quality teams in 2013

KPSUL
December 23rd, 2014, 07:03 PM
Idk. I'm always really weary to say that a team lost due to not having one player. Look at a team like Ohio state for instance. Third string quarterback, and they still blew out of the water. One player shouldn't be the only reason you have success.

Being so dependent on one player is a team weakness; however, I still think it was true in the case of the 2014 NOVA Wildcats.

saxbison
December 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
Biggest disappointment: Towson Surprise: Liberty

Chatty and ISUr had breakout seasons but were probably playoff quality teams in 2013

I wasn't surprised with Towson. They lost their all-world running back (and I don't say that facetiously TU fans) and most of one of the best offensive lines in FCS. Ambrose is a helluva coach and I was hoping NDSU would hire him if they went outside, but that's a lot to overcome.

Catsfan90
December 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
Being so dependent on one player is a team weakness; however, I still think it was true in the case of the 2014 NOVA Wildcats.
100% agree!

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
Biggest surprise: Illinois State
Biggest disappointment: Columbia

For the PL:

Biggest surprise: Bucknell
Biggest disappointment: The league, where five of seven teams were below .500, and three teams had eight losses.

KPSUL
December 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM
I wasn't surprised with Towson. They lost their all-world running back (and I don't say that facetiously TU fans) and most of one of the best offensive lines in FCS. Ambrose is a helluva coach and I was hoping NDSU would hire him if they went outside, but that's a lot to overcome.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Towson fans misunderstanding your intent, they've all tuned out of AGS a couple months ago.

centennial
December 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Surprise Indiana state
Disappointment Furman UNI

saxbison
December 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Surprise: Indiana state
Disappointment Furman UNI

I agree with Furman. I thought they would be the badass MF in the So on with all the the talent they had returning.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
Biggest surprise for me was Indiana State. A moribound program just a few years ago. Great year and "oh so close" to win a few more. Valpo winning four games this year and taking USD to the wire after some very poor seasons gives hope to a rising program. Bucknell had a very pleasant result, though not totally unexpected as many saw improvement in 2013.

Biggest disappointment, I have to agree is Furman, with Princeton in second. Paladins uncharacteristically bad this year. Hopefully one of those one-ear aberrations. Princeton had high expectations by everyone in the East. Would also have to agree with that the PL, overall was disappointing. Other than Fordham and Bucknell the rest of the League was very mediocre with occasional bursts of brilliance. Lehigh,obviously, after winning 39 games in four years was a huge disappointment going 3-8 and while there can be some very good reasons due to plethora of injuries, replacing half a coaching staff and facing one of the toughest schedules in FCS, they still underperformed and embarrassed themselves in a big stage. If they don't have a chip on their shoulder next season, they never will.

citdog
December 24th, 2014, 05:20 AM
furman sucks

dewey
December 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Here is my 2 cents.
Biggest Surprises: Indiana State, Illinois State, Idaho State and SHSU
Biggest Dissappointments: UNI, Southeastern Louisiana, Montana and Furman

Indiana State was picked dead last (10 out of 10) in the MVFC preseason rankings.
Idaho State was picked 12th coaches and 10th in the media preseason poll.
Illinois State was picked 6th (6 out of 10) in the MVFC preseason rankings.

Dewey

OSBF
December 24th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't say I'm surprised by what ILS has accomplished, but I'm surprised that it happened this year.

Next year was supposed to be "the year"

This is only year 2 of a major shift in program direction

3-4 years ago we had 20+ FBS "down" transfers on the roster

This year we have 5, and all start and are major contributors

Now he's building the program through recruiting, more or less following the proven NDSU/UNI model

And then Indiana decided they no longer needed the services of one Tre Roberson and he just fell into our lap

All the pieces just fell into place all at once

I don't think very many ILS fans are overly surprised, but thought it would be next year, not this one

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Surprise: Ill State

Disappointment: UNI, Furman

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Surprise: Ill State

Disappointment: UNI, Furman

surprised you don't have Cal Poly on your disappointment list after you declared that they would "roll" New Mexico State xcoffeex

Feliz Navidad Smuggles

Gil Dobie
December 24th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Surprise: ISUR & B, Idaho St
Disappointment: Georgia Southern going FBS, UNI (had them picked to win it all)

GABison
December 24th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Biggest suprise: Indiana State, Liberty, Sam Houston State
Biggest disappointment: UNI (they are the MVFC's Montana State), Towson

chattownmocs
December 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Chattanooga is most dissapointing. The way the special teams folded after being great all year was bad. We are probably the best offensive/defensive combination in the country but the special teams let us down. Indiana state was most surprising. I had illinois state rated higher than anyone preseason.

Cocky
December 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Surprises: ISUb, WCU, ISUo and Grambling
Disappointments: JSU, UNI, McNesse, Furman, Towson and JMU

Sycamore62
December 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Biggest Surprise: ISUr. I kept thinking the wheels were about to fall off.

Biggest Dissapointment: ISUb. I predicted 5 MVFC wins and got a lot of **** about it. You dont know the hell I would have unleashed had we beat WIU the last game. My street cred would have been infinity until next September when you all figured out I knew nothing again.

REALBird
December 24th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Biggest surprise: ISU (Red, Blue and Orange). I think all exceeded expectations.
Disappointment: Delaware, the OVC, Montana. I always expect to see Delaware and Montana at the top of the polls and competing for Championships. The OVC as good as some teams looked, EIU seems they can suck and still have a chance to run the table for the autobid. Think they werent officially eliminated until two weeks before the season ended.

MR. CHICKEN
December 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Surprises: ISUb, WCU, ISUo and Grambling
Disappointments: JSU, UNI, McNesse, Furman, Towson and JMU

20396........HOW SO...xconfusedx...DEY MADE DUH DANCE.....AWK!

CasualFan
December 24th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Surprise: Illinois State - preseason were picked 6th in MVFC, playing for the national championship
Disappointment: Furman - preseason 2nd in SoCon, expected to make the playoffs, end the season with 3 wins

frozennorth
December 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Surpise: Isu red, blue, and potato

Dissappointment: um ud, uni, mcneese

number1
December 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Surprise- Grambling State- I didn't think they would be able to turn it around so fast

Disappointment- McNeese State- They fell apart after the Nebraska game

Rollbird5
December 25th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Surprise: Illinois State - preseason were picked 4th in MVFC, playing for the national championship
Disappointment: Furman - preseason 2nd in SoCon, expected to make the playoffs, end the season with 3 wins

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure we were picked to finish 6th in conference. To everyone outside of Illinois State fans we've got to be the biggest surprise I would guess.

CasualFan
December 25th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure we were picked to finish 6th in conference. To everyone outside of Illinois State fans we've got to be the biggest surprise I would guess.
You are correct, sir. I looked at an old news article. Post will be edited shortly.

clenz
December 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I see a lot of UNI...and I'm quite disappointed with how the season finished...but...nationally they are one of the biggest disappointments?

Started season in top 10, finished season in top 10, beat both teams in title game....

I get it being disappointing, but i don't buy biggest disappointment in the nation....or all that close

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brad82
December 26th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I thought URI would be further along.

UIWWildthing
December 26th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I knew this would be a long season for Towson. I just didn't know how long it would be. Next year looks a bit more promising though I think.

Brad82
December 26th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I thought URI would be further along.

NDSU Fan
December 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Surprise - ISU-R
Bust - UNI

tomq04
December 26th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I sure was excited by Idaho State,

Someone earlier mentioned cal poly as a disappointment, not sure anyone was disappointed after they lost 5 players a week before the season began due to the players being idiots. The turned their season around and played good football for the home stretch.

I was disappointed in EWU, but as a whole top 8 ain't bad, and beating Montana twice in a season is priceless.

Grizalltheway
December 26th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I sure was excited by Idaho State,

Someone earlier mentioned cal poly as a disappointment, not sure anyone was disappointed after they lost 5 players a week before the season began due to the players being idiots. The turned their season around and played good football for the home stretch.

I was disappointed in EWU, but as a whole top 8 ain't bad, and beating Montana twice in a season is priceless.

Good to know we're still the gold standard. xcoffeex

Catsfan90
December 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Surprise- Grambling State- I didn't think they would be able to turn it around so fast

Disappointment- McNeese State- They fell apart after the Nebraska game

I agree. I got super excited watching that game thinking that they had a great chance. I didnt expect them to have such a lackluster season after that.

kalm
December 26th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Completely depends on the team and their strengths. Take the best player off of any team and they are more likely to lose.

Idaho State's turnaround has been amazing.

I thought SELU would be a final four team.

World
December 27th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Surprise- Illinois State
Disappointment- Princeton

Go...gate
December 27th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Biggest disappointment was Princeton, IMO.

NDSUSR
December 27th, 2014, 10:55 PM
The biggest disappointment to ISU fans will be 1/10/15 after the Bison roll them.

mvemjsunpx
December 28th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Surprises - Sam Houston, Grambling, all three ISUs

Disappointments - Princeton, Alabama St., Tennessee St.

lionsrking2
December 28th, 2014, 12:33 AM
I thought SELU would be a final four team.

I thought we would be as well but had the wrong injuries, to the wrong people, at the wrong time, and lost a game early at SEMO that we no business losing. That loss essentially put us on the road at Sam Houston in the first round ... a game we led most of the way and lose late with our QB playing on one healthy leg and bad throwing shoulder. Hopefully 2015 will be a better year with a lot coming back, especially on defense.

pokefan02
December 28th, 2014, 01:00 AM
I don't believe many teams can be successful with double digit injuries. McNeese seems to get hit with the injury bug much too often.

Sent from my HTC M8

OL FU
December 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I don't believe many teams can be successful with double digit injuries. McNeese seems to get hit with the injury bug much too often.

Sent from my HTC M8

I guess that would sum up Furman this year but still............................................. ......it was disappointing.

Panther-State
December 28th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I see a lot of UNI...and I'm quite disappointed with how the season finished...but...nationally they are one of the biggest disappointments?

Started season in top 10, finished season in top 10, beat both teams in title game....

I get it being disappointing, but i don't buy biggest disappointment in the nation....or all that close

I agree with you, but at the same time we saw enough disappointment and head-scratching that the season was far from the expectations we set for ourselves. There were plenty of times that we looked like potential National Champs. And plenty of moments where we looked like chumps.

But you bring up a good point. This program ends the season in the Top 10 and is considered disappointing? That's awfully telling of the program we enjoy here in Cedar Falls.

THE HERD
December 28th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Biggest surprise easily goes to Indiana St. Biggest disappointment would have to go to UNI.......they were stacked talent wise coming into this season!

AmsterBison
December 29th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Biggest Surprise: ISU. Take your pick from...

Indiana State went from being horrible last year to winning a playoff game this year.
Idaho State went from being horrible for an entire decade to to almost making the playoffs.
Illinois State... I didn't think that they had it in them after the 5-6 season last year. They look like an NFL team on the offensive line so that helps.

Biggest Disappointment: Towson. Yeah, they lost a ton of great players so their league treated them like a school of hungry piranhas treats a floundering calf, but that can happen to any team in a competitive league (wasn't that long ago that NDSU was 3-8 in the MVFC.) However, they lost to 3-9 Central Connecticut State and that I can't forgive.

NY Crusader 2010
December 29th, 2014, 12:26 PM
However, they lost to 3-9 Central Connecticut State and that I can't forgive.

And 1-11 Rhode Island.

Too bad Holy Cross didn't get the return game to Towson this season as I expect the Tigers to have re-built at least enough to beat us in 2015.

Catamount87
December 29th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Biggest surprise: Wow, so many candidates to chose from here. Of course, I'd vote for my WCU Catamounts. :-D

Biggest disappointment: Easily the Furman Paladins. Talk about a team that imploded, look up the word implode in Webster's and it's the FU team photo.

Ivytalk
December 29th, 2014, 03:30 PM

Gotta tell ya, Gater, Lady Karma bit Princeton hard this year, especially after all the Tiger-talk about how even one loss -- let alone five -- was "unacceptable." Columbia, OTOH, is downright sad.

Go Green
December 30th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Biggest disappointment: Columbia

I think Columbia finished exactly the way people thought they would.

Go Green
December 30th, 2014, 08:57 PM

A defensible choice, indeed.

Surprised Penn isn't getting more votes here.

Ivytalk
January 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
A defensible choice, indeed.

Surprised Penn isn't getting more votes here.

Penn? Feh! I fart in their general direction....

Go Green
January 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Penn? Feh! I fart in their general direction....

So did almost everyone else this year, which is kind of my point.

Did people really expect Penn to go 2-8 and get completely slaughtered in most games? In Bagnoli's farewell season, no less?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM
Biggest surprise: Illinois State

Biggest disappointment: Illinois State fans.

Ivytalk
January 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
So did almost everyone else this year, which is kind of my point.

Did people really expect Penn to go 2-8 and get completely slaughtered in most games? In Bagnoli's farewell season, no less?

Most people predicted mediocrity for Penn at best. They were never in the Ivy title conversation this year. I think Princeton's 5-5 finish was a bigger surprise.

McNeese72
January 1st, 2015, 08:48 PM
I agree. I got super excited watching that game thinking that they had a great chance. I didnt expect them to have such a lackluster season after that.

I wish we had the same team that played Nebraska still playing at the end of the season. We had our worst season for season ending injuries since 1996. I think some McNeese fan stated that by the end of the season and of the players that started the Nebraska game, 9 were out. And that doesn't count second teamers and other backups we lost, too.

Sitting Bull
January 2nd, 2015, 06:08 AM
Surprise: Indiana State
Disappointment: Furman

CAA Surprise: UAlbany
CAA Disappointment: W&M

It's tempting to list Towson as a disappointment but given they had lost almost everything, I never understood the pre season expectations for them.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2015, 07:18 AM
I think Columbia finished exactly the way people thought they would.

The disappointment was in exactly how bad they were. By year three, Mangurian should have seen some semblance of progress, and if the Light Blue had won even that last game, odds are he might have been around one more year, to the ire of Jake and his blog.

MR. CHICKEN
January 2nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
Surprise: Indiana State
Disappointment: Furman

CAA Surprise: UAlbany
CAA Disappointment: W&M

It's tempting to list Towson as a disappointment but given they had lost almost everything, I never understood the pre season expectations for them.

20423.......TOOFLESS TAGGERS...WERE PICKED 5TH IN PRESEASON CAA.......BUT DUH FCS DURWOODS....FROM OCEAN TA OCEAN.......CARRIED 'EM IN DEY'RE POLLS....'TIL.....DUH LIGHT ..FINALLAH WENT ON.......BRAWK!

...ALBANY 7-5..WHIFF W'S OVERAH ALL...EXPECTED COMERAHS.....DID SCARE DUH FUR OFFAH JMU....DOUGH......AWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Surprise: Indiana State and UNI, for different reasons

Disappointment: SIU, not improving with the rest of the league.

Silenoz
January 2nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
Biggest surprise: ISU (Red, Blue and Orange). I think all exceeded expectations.
Disappointment: Delaware, the OVC, Montana. I always expect to see Delaware and Montana at the top of the polls and competing for Championships. The OVC as good as some teams looked, EIU seems they can suck and still have a chance to run the table for the autobid. Think they werent officially eliminated until two weeks before the season ended.
I'm sure our preseason and postseason AGS poll ranks will be very similar...

Cocky
January 3rd, 2015, 07:58 AM

EIU loss to every OVC team with a 500 or better record. The schedule was worked to their advantage to be in contention for the autobid. EIU did play ISUr a decent game considering their 5 TOs.

I do agree the OVC was a disappointment especially the playoff part of the season.

clenz
January 3rd, 2015, 08:20 AM
Pretty standard ovc playoff performance, really

Go Green
January 3rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
The disappointment was in exactly how bad they were. By year three, Mangurian should have seen some semblance of progress, and if the Light Blue had won even that last game, odds are he might have been around one more year, to the ire of Jake and his blog.

I suppose there's a difference between going 0-10, yet being competitive, and going 0-10 when most of your opponents start their second string to give their stars a rest. You should have seen Jake's board after some of those games-- "They're treating us like we're a scrimmage!!"

But in terms of wins and losses, the only real debate was whether 2014 Columbia would continue the Streak II, or whether they'd be able to win a game. Most (correctly) predicted the former.