PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoff Television Ratings

veinup
December 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Is there any way to gauge this? Do these numbers get released somewhere? For example, right before the NDSU/SHSU game came on yesterday ESPN (cant remember if it was 1 or 2, but the same channel anyway) was showing a highschool basketball game. Which game had better ratings? Is there any way to know?

Just been wondering about this stuff .. We've got the erectile dysfunction medication Bowl and the whogivesa****.com Bowl on TV today. Do these types of games genuinely command such higher ratings than say a #1 vs. #5 seed FCS playoff game would, or is there something else going on?

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I'd like to also know what the average difference between the channels. So if a bowl game got a 9 and the channel it was on averages a 8.5 vs FCS getting a 6 on a channel that normally gets a 2 shows me that product placement might have a bearing on which is mor viewed as opposed to which one is more popular.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2014, 08:51 PM
The NDSU/Coastal game got 1.447 million viewers for a 0.4 rating last Saturday.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/16/saturday-cable-ratings-heisman-trophy-presentation-tops-night-best-christmas-party-ever-sex-sent-me-to-the-er-more/339732/

Note: Look for the "NCAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS L" heading

Not a ton of viewership but it beat the Cincinnati/Houston game that ESPN showed in the exact same time slot the Saturday before (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/). Guessing the numbers for this weekend will come out Monday.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Ironically, I got a Nielsen book this week. For next week. None of my FCS watching will count

skinny_uncle
December 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM
The NDSU/Coastal game got 1.447 million viewers for a 0.4 rating last Saturday.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/16/saturday-cable-ratings-heisman-trophy-presentation-tops-night-best-christmas-party-ever-sex-sent-me-to-the-er-more/339732/

Note: Look for the "NCAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS L" heading

Not a ton of viewership but it beat the Cincinnati/Houston game that ESPN showed in the exact same time slot the Saturday before (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/). Guessing the numbers for this weekend will come out Monday.
Roughly even with Spongebob. Not bad.

veinup
December 21st, 2014, 10:18 AM
thanks for the info Prof Chaos. interesting stuff. confirmed my suspicion that at least some FCS games have the potential to draw same/better than some FBS games.

Cocky
December 22nd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Close to half of the Heisman viewers with 1% of the promos. If promoted the FCS, DII, and DIII would have solid viewers. It's not a quality issue but an issue of the public being told it is quality football.

Hammerhead
December 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
It also doesn't help when the ESPN announcers keep reminding us that Player X is a transfer from (insert FBS school from a P5 conference) over and over.

kdinva
December 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
It also doesn't help when the ESPN announcers keep reminding us that Player X is a transfer from (insert FBS school from a P5 conference) over and over.

really....... xsplatx

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Close to half of the Heisman viewers with 1% of the promos. If promoted the FCS, DII, and DIII would have solid viewers. It's not a quality issue but an issue of the public being told it is quality football.

Sportscenter on Thursday did preview the NDSU-SHSU game briefly, I think ESPN has been better then ever this year but of course that doesn't take much.

Sycamore62
December 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
I wonder (and i know espn has rights) if Fox sports could get more viewership with their networks. I mean, if you are doing ok with no promotion whatsoever what could you do with a small amount of effort

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
I wonder (and i know espn has rights) if Fox sports could get more viewership with their networks. I mean, if you are doing ok with no promotion whatsoever what could you do with a small amount of effort

Fox Sports 1 could promote the game 24/7 and would never touch the rating ESPN had for the NDSU-CCU game. ESPN is just the default sports network, every sports bar in America has that channel on at least one TV.

rokamortis
December 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
Fox Sports 1 could promote the game 24/7 and would never touch the rating ESPN had for the NDSU-CCU game. ESPN is just the default sports network, every sports bar in America has that channel on at least one TV.

Aren't the ratings based on the Nielsen ratings? If so, then I doubt the zombie sports bar TV set has any impact on the reported ratings.

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2014, 04:08 PM
Aren't the ratings based on the Nielsen ratings? If so, then I doubt the zombie sports bar TV set has any impact on the reported ratings.

My point still stands, ESPN is the default network to watch sports. Even for joe sports fan sitting at home.

ESPN hardly even has to try to get ratings FS1 would kill for.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2014, 04:10 PM
I think FCS fans on the whole are smart enough to find out where FS1 and FS2 are on their cable systems should it come to that.

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
I think FCS fans on the whole are smart enough to find out where FS1 and FS2 are on their cable systems should it come to that.

FCS fans yes, casual fans probably not.

That said ESPN has the playoffs locked up for a while.