PDA

View Full Version : HBCU Champ. Game to begin in 2015

Pages : [1] 2

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Multiple sources are confirming that the MEAC has finally agreed to send their champ. to play the SWAC in the HBCU Champ. Game. The game is rumored to start in 2015 and the Pot for the game is $2 Million Yearly, with the conference splitting the pot 50/50.

Each participating team will receive $700,000 and the conference will split the remaining $600,000 among the Front Offices and conference members.

The MEAC is also rumored to start a MEAC Champ. Game the same year and host the game in Charlotte, NC. The Champ. Game is rumored to be in Atlanta or Orlando and there is a 3 year contract, underwritten by ESPN.

Lastly, due to the participation of the MEAC in this game, their AQ is likely to be given up.

It remains to be seen if any MEAC members are looking to be invited to other conferences.

Thoughts?

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 03:13 PM
MEAC no longer in the playoffs? Maybe the ivies want their spot.

BisonFan02
December 20th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Awesome! Cut the playoffs to 20.

eaglesdare
December 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM
ugh. I want NCCU to compete with the big boys, I can see this leading to watered down non conference schedules. If we win this thing once I'm going to think "ok, that was fun. Now lets move to another conference to compete for more".

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Awesome! Cut the playoffs to 20.

Keep it at 24.

Another at large bid.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Keep it at 24.

Another at large bid.
No.

Back to 20

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2014, 03:27 PM
No.

Back to 20

Why take a spot away from Youngstown State?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 20th, 2014, 03:28 PM
No.

Back to 20

24 is fine. Give another at large.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'd rather the Ivy get off their high horse

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I'm fine with it going back to 20 if they still seed the top 8. Losing the MEAC auto won't hurt the playoff product.

BluBengal07
December 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM
we'll see....

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I'm fine with it going back to 20 if they still seed the top 8. Losing the MEAC auto won't hurt the playoff product.
Will do nothing except raise the quality of play

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Will do nothing except raise the quality of play

This. Until they can actually compete almost no point in them being in the playoffs.

bonarae
December 20th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Reduce the number of slots, yes. Take out MEAC from the field, 50/50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
December 20th, 2014, 05:29 PM
In the case of a great team from the MEAC in the future, it is unfortunate there will be no good way to evaluate how good they may be. Most will dismiss them with no way to compare to the rest of FCS (rightfully or wrongly). Overall, probably a good thing for the competitiveness of the FCS playoffs, and with exposure and dollars probably very good for the MEAC and SWAC.

Big Dawg
December 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see if any MEAC Schools leave the conference xcoffeex

eaglesdare
December 20th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I guess "improvement" would be a team winning their ooc games consistently but the only way to go to the next level would be to leave the conference. I don't buy this is a legitimate long term solution to anything. It will probably just keep the stagnation going.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 06:08 PM
24. Historically is the only Only way to get the best 16 in the 2nd round

well historically since this thanksgiving

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM
xsmhx

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM
In the case of a great team from the MEAC in the future, it is unfortunate there will be no good way to evaluate how good they may be. Most will dismiss them with no way to compare to the rest of FCS (rightfully or wrongly). Overall, probably a good thing for the competitiveness of the FCS playoffs, and with exposure and dollars probably very good for the MEAC and SWAC.
They've had a chance to compare for decades. Thwy haven't faired well in a very...very...long time.

Most/all of the players on ncaa rosters right now were but a twinkle in their daddies eye last time the MEAC was truly relevant

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
They've had a chance to compare for decades. Thwy haven't faired well in a very...very...long time.

Most/all of the players on ncaa rosters right now were but a twinkle in their daddies eye last time the MEAC was truly relevant

FAMU went to the semifinals in 1999 where they lost by a field goal to Tressel's Penguins. Unless the majority of your team is under 15 years, I don't believe that's correct.

eaglesdare
December 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Couldn't you have made the same argument about the OVC? I'm not a big believer in "impossible". Great, now we're stuck with this.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 06:39 PM
In reality this is a shame. They are going to segregate themselves for $2 million. Considering the winning teams make 700k each, that is $30k for all the other schools. Now watch them load up on D2 and bad teams in the OOC. This will ensure the quality of football gets even worst. They can make $150-250k from a FCS team and 3-400k from FBS. Since they will even be worst on SOS games aren't going to come across as easily anymore.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM
It'll be interesting to see if any MEAC Schools leave the conference xcoffeex

Who would even consider it? I'm sure that was discussed before the MEAC signed on.

eaglesdare
December 20th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah I would think everybody must be onboard at least for three years. Though if the Big South wants to still expand I would be thrilled if they took NCCU. We are in one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 07:08 PM
FAMU went to the semifinals in 1999 where they lost by a field goal to Tressel's Penguins. Unless the majority of your team is under 15 years, I don't believe that's correct.
How many wins since?

This years freshman were born in 1996? There's a good chane half of this year's freshman weren't fully out of diapers at that time

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM

How many wins since?

This years freshman were born in 1996? There's a good chane half of this year's freshman weren't fully out of diapers at that time

So this years freshman were three years old and that means the majority of the players on NCAA rosters weren't born yet? I'm not following the connection of your statements.

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Who would even consider it? I'm sure that was discussed before the MEAC signed on.

SC State has gone on record when they tried this a couple of seasons ago saying they would leave. I don't know if the sentiment is the same now, but they were adamantly against it about 2 years ago.

rokamortis
December 20th, 2014, 07:26 PM
SC State has gone on record when they tried this a couple of seasons ago saying they would leave. I don't know if the sentiment is the same now, but they were adamantly against it about 2 years ago.

With their recent budget woes there was a suggestion of moving to a conference with less overall travel - the Big South would perhaps fit the bill.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I would love to see SC State join the Big South.

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Way to ostracize yourselves MEAC and SWAC

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you saw more leagues leave the current playoff system.

Outside of a few outliers, not many people care enough to attend or watch these playoff games, there really are only a few programs from a few conferences every year that have a legit shot at winning the whole thing etc

I could see the Patriot and the NEC (the Ivies probably won't do any post-season) having a sort of "bowl game" ala SWAC-MEAC instead of participating in the playoffs.

ASU33
December 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Im so sick of this isht. Time to see if the Big South or SoCon would like to expand into Alabama.

rokamortis
December 20th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Im so sick of this isht. Time to see if the Big South or SoCon would like to expand into Alabama.

SoCon is in Alabama. The closest Big South school will be Kennesaw State but the others are a bit of a haul.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you saw more leagues leave the current playoff system.

Outside of a few outliers, not many people care enough to attend or watch these playoff games, there really are only a few programs from a few conferences every year that have a legit shot at winning the whole thing etc

I could see the Patriot and the NEC (the Ivies probably won't do any post-season) having a sort of "bowl game" ala SWAC-MEAC instead of participating in the playoffs.
shocking that sader is jumping in with anti playoff rhetoric.

The NEC, Big South, Pioneer all fought so hard for a spot that they aren't giving it up.

The Patriot can gladlt leave..ill gladly watch them leave if it means less of you around here...or less PL hijacking

Wallace
December 20th, 2014, 09:10 PM
"IF" this happens expect multiple MEAC defections

BluBengal07
December 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Sounds like some folks take rumors to the heart like it's the gospel. Silly.

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 09:13 PM
The common misperception here is that I don't like FCS football....I actually think it's a great level of football. However, I think the playoff system is flawed and too drawn out.

I would like HC to be very competitive at the FCS-level, play a BC, UConn or a Syracuse, win the PL and then maybe play a "bowl-game" against the Ivy (or NEC) champ.

There's really nothing else to prove at this level.

Lehigh'98
December 20th, 2014, 09:19 PM
shocking that sader is jumping in with anti playoff rhetoric.

The NEC, Big South, Pioneer all fought so hard for a spot that they aren't giving it up.

The Patriot can gladlt leave..ill gladly watch them leave if it means less of you around here...or less PL hijacking

The Patriot League is going nowhere. Just Sader after a few drinks rambling on. Why in God's name would they add scholarships if they aren't trying to compete. Christ, some teams even make to the quarters and beyond every now and then. Ridiculous theory!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM
http://www.hbcugameday.com/2014/12/sources-meac-considers-skipping.html

xeyebrowx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Big deal, they suck anyway. Put 6 MVFC teams in next season!

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah, playing Sam Houston St before 3K at Fitton on December 14 on any given year is really SO important to Holy Cross football.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, playing Sam Houston St before 3K at Fitton on December 14 on any given year is really SO important to Holy Cross football.
I'd bet HC's players and coaching staff would agree with that statement.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2014, 09:31 PM
"IF" this happens expect multiple MEAC defections

I agree.

Lehigh'98
December 20th, 2014, 09:33 PM

If Sam was one of the best teams in the country,then that game would mean plenty to those playing in it. FCS playoffs are never that popular from an average fans standpoint, but as a player, if you don't want a shot at winning it all, then you are missing something. Can't imagine going 11-0 and not getting a crack at the best teams.

I guess with the Ivies, they have future potential earnings to fall back on.

Sader87
The thing is....nobody and I mean nobody cares about HC football post-Thanksgiving...they barely care about it pre-Thanksgiving....a "bowl game" against an Ivy would be much more attractive to most than an FCS playoff game.

Lehigh Football Nation
The thing is....nobody and I mean nobody cares about HC football post-Thanksgiving...they barely care about it pre-Thanksgiving....a "bowl game" against an Ivy would be much more attractive to most than an FCS playoff game.

Sounds like a team that hasn't been to the playoffs much.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Sounds like some folks take rumors to the heart like its the gospel. Silly.

This isn't rumor. This has been the case since last summer.

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM

Just fold your program then

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2014, 09:37 PM

This is just one prospective the MEAC is coming from.

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Just fold your program then

There's no reason to fold the program....it's just that HC's and many other FCS programs differ on what a successful season is.

Most HC fans would be happy playing BC or Syracuse tough (or God willing, winning that game), beat Harvard and Yale and win the PL.

There's really no need for anything more....end the season around late Nov/early Dec

Bisonator
December 20th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Good. Opens up a spot for a more competitive team. I'm sure that disappoints the CAA who will miss those first round byes.;)

TheRevSFA
December 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM
LFN do you even look to see if another thread exists?

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 09:58 PM
That's not much different than what you draw for a regular seadon game.

Clearly there isnt any interest in HC football...maybe they should drop the program

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 10:03 PM

1) 3k people would be walking around Fitton with 10 foot boners if this happened.
2) just because you don't like the playoffs why would you want to prevent the team and 3k fans that do. If you are tired of football by then don't watch. You seem interested enough that you are still saying how uninterested you are on Dec 20

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM
That's not much different than what you draw for a regular seadon game.

Clearly there isnt any interest in HC football...maybe they should drop the program

There's actually a decent (albeit latent) interest in HC football.......what there really isn't an interest in though is a playoff system that very few care about in Massachusetts anyway.....not saying the playoff system is wrong for the UNI's of the world but HC would be bettah served playing against the Ivy Champ at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park than playing the 3rd best MVFC team in the playoffs.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
There's no reason to fold the program....it's just that HC's and many other FCS programs differ on what a successful season is.

Most HC fans would be happy playing BC or Syracuse tough (or God willing, winning that game), beat Harvard and Yale and win the PL.

There's really no need for anything more....end the season around late Nov/early Dec
And what of the players? If they have a good season they deserve to play against the best. You clearly don't understand the drive to play someone better than you and see how you measure up.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
There's actually a decent (albeit latent) interest in HC football.......what there really isn't an interest in though is a playoff system that very few care about in Massachusetts anyway.....not saying the playoff system is wrong for the UNI's of the world but HC would be bettah served playing against the Ivy Champ at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park than playing the 3rd best MVFC team in the playoffs.
Playing an ivy in front of 8-12k in a 48k seat stadium.

Yeah...that sounds fun

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Playing an ivy in front of 8-12k in a 48k seat stadium.

Yeah...that sounds fun

Yes but it would be like 4k because they would be studying for finals

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 10:19 PM
It beats a meaningless game for most between Holy Cross and fill in the blank at either Fitton or wherevah.

Ultimately, a HC championship at the FCS-level really isn't that important...it would be a great accomplishment, no doubt....but is it really that important? No. Beating BC trumps an FCS championship every single time.....

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Don't forget that this would only preclude the MEAC champ from playing in the playoffs, they've had several at-large bids over the years, so they won't be gone completely from the playoffs. It will just be confined to the 2nd or 3rd place team from the MEAC.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Don't forget that this would only preclude the MEAC champ from playing in the playoffs, they've had several at-large bids over the years, so they won't be gone completely from the playoffs. It will just be confined to the 2nd or 3rd place team from the MEAC.
How do you know this? Can the champion decline the autobid and pass it on to the 2nd?

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
It beats a meaningless game for most between Holy Cross and fill in the blank at either Fitton or wherevah.

Ultimately, a HC championship at the FCS-level really isn't that important...it would be a great accomplishment, no doubt....but is it really that important? No. Beating BC trumps an FCS championship every single time.....

Untill a NC actually happened. I guarantee in 2018, if HC loses to BC and wins the FCS nobody will be talking about the BC loss even if Doug Flutie finds a year of eligibility left and throws another Hail Mary pass to win.

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Holy Cross alums/fans (of a certain age) would take a win ovah BC ovah an FCS Championship 99.999% of the time....

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a team that hasn't been to the playoffs much.

Last post-season appearance , by Patriot League school (NCAA playoffs unless otherwise noted):

Fordham: 2014
Lafayette: 2013
Colgate: 2012
Lehigh: 2011
Holy Cross: 2009
Georgetown: 1998 (ECAC Bowl)
Bucknell: 1935 (Orange Bowl)

For the HBCU's, a good move. The SWAC and MEAC aren't competitive in the playoffs and the TV coverage will dwarf anything on ESPN3. Those that would wish the same for the PL must admit that (scholar)ship has sailed.

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM
How do you know this? Can the champion decline the autobid and pass it on to the 2nd?

Because it's the same thing that the SWAC has now. The teams playing in the SWAC championship game can't play in the FCS playoffs, but if a second place team was rated high enough to earn an at-large bid, they are still eligible. No, the champ can't decline the autobid and pass it to another team.

citdog
December 20th, 2014, 10:38 PM

If these reports are accurate we have seen the last of the meac in the playoffs. The 2nd place swac team is also eligible for an at large. How many bids have they gotten?

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM
If these reports are accurate we have seen the last of the meac in the playoffs. The 2nd place swac team is also eligible for an at large. How many bids have they gotten?

How many at-large bids did they get before they left? How many at-large bids did the MEAC get before they left?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FsgEhQPYIS5eJCUX7ynid_Apples-and-Oranges.png

major095
December 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I wonder how many of those 15 loses were road games. Anyone know how often the meac gets to host?

citdog
December 20th, 2014, 10:46 PM
How many at-large bids did they get before they left? How many at-large bids did the MEAC get before they left?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FsgEhQPYIS5eJCUX7ynid_Apples-and-Oranges.png

Apples to apples bro. Just another at large for a deserving team and that team isn't EVER coming from the meac.

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 10:47 PM
As if it mattahs...bunch of ****....no one cares....it's going to be the same teams year after year...NDSU, Montana, a couple of CAA schools and a couple of Big Sky schools.....ho huuuummmm

superman7515
December 20th, 2014, 10:48 PM
As if it mattahs...bunch of ****....no one cares....it's going to be the same teams year after year...NDSU, Montana, a couple of CAA schools and a couple of Big Sky schools.....ho huuuummmm

http://kentuckybasketballforum.com/uploads/images/LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf.jpg

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Not mad....just bored beyond belief.....

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Not mad....just bored beyond belief.....
Then stop watching....like most HC "fans" and alumni...and stop showing up here

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Apples to apples bro. Just another at large for a deserving team and that team isn't EVER coming from the meac.

Their quality of play is going to look almost identical to the SWAC if they go this route. The MEAC has lived off of something other than actual production for well over a decade. The start to literally separate themselves from the playoffs they won't be getting an at-large unless their quality of play gets to CAA/Big Sky/MVFC level

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Then stop watching....like most HC "fans" and alumni...and stop showing up here

Just shut up...Holy Cross has a football history UNI would die for...there's no need for you to be a such a douche here...we are we what are, UNI is a school that needs FCS success to help their institution... HC really doesn't

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2014, 11:21 PM
UNI is a school that needs FCS success to help their institution... HC really doesn't

Which begs the question, what type of football program does HC want?

The Patriot League has sent the message it doesn't want to be the Ivy League's wingman anymore. Is being CAA Lite the plan for Holy Cross? Is it something else?

Recommitting to Tom Gilmore sent a message that stability is more important than aspiration. And while it's not impossible for smaller schools to compete, it's not easy, either--the resources Fordham and Lehigh can put into scholarship football will dwarf that of HC and Bucknell. What then?

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Just shut up...Holy Cross has a football history UNI would die for...there's no need for you to be a such a douche here...we are we what are, UNI is a school that needs FCS success to help their institution... HC really doesn't

Then there's no need for football....

UNI has more all time wins
less all time losses
a higher all time win %
more 10 win seasons (since 2005 UNI has as many as HC all time)a
an equal amount of seasons over .500H
Holy Cross has 6 championships of any kind...none which came while playing in the "glory days" of the 1910s-1970s
UNI has 33 championships of any kind
neither has a national title

What should I be in awe of? That you used to play FBS teams 70 years ago? Damn...you got me there

It's clear you're fan base longs for the days of pre blacks being able to vote football. That's not coming back. You're school has a choice to drop football because it doesn't see the point in today's football, complain about today's football and act high and mighty while still using it, or cry to the Ivy to let you in

Here's a hint...HC will drop football before the Ivy let's you in or the Patriot gives in to the anti-playoff crowd. That was made clear by going to full scholly football

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Fordham and Lehigh will not dwarf HC's commitment to football.....if they do, I won't stop throwing up.

HC football will be fine...we need a bettah head coach to start but even with Gilmore, HC football will be a solid D1 program moving forward.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 11:29 PM

Naw. We're good. Not being competitive and living in the past sounds boring.

FargoBison
December 20th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Time for some playoff contraction...back down to 20.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Naw. We're good. Not being competitive and living in the past sounds boring.

Sounds like being a Notre Dame fan.

except they've been a title contender once or twice since Bush 1 took office....

Or even Eisenhower

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM
This isn't anything official. Belongs in the other thread that you commented on.

eaglesdare
December 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I agree that this is just a step to being locked into SWAC purgatory. What has held us back is coaching, QB play, and offensive scheme. Imagine what SCSU could do with an offense to go with that D...

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Then there's no need for football....

UNI has more all time wins
less all time losses
a higher all time win %
more 10 win seasons (since 2005 UNI has as many as HC all time)a
an equal amount of seasons over .500H
Holy Cross has 6 championships of any kind...none which came while playing in the "glory days" of the 1910s-1970s
UNI has 33 championships of any kind
neither has a national title

What should I be in awe of? That you used to play FBS teams 70 years ago? Damn...you got me there

It's clear you're fan base longs for the days of pre blacks being able to vote football. That's not coming back. You're school has a choice to drop football because it doesn't see the point in today's football, complain about today's football and act high and mighty while still using it, or cry to the Ivy to let you in

Here's a hint...HC will drop football before the Ivy let's you in or the Patriot gives in to the anti-playoff crowd. That was made clear by going to full scholly football

You are indeed a moron. No offense.

FargoBison
December 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM
The common misperception here is that I don't like FCS football....I actually think it's a great level of football. However, I think the playoff system is flawed and too drawn out.

I would like HC to be very competitive at the FCS-level, play a BC, UConn or a Syracuse, win the PL and then maybe play a "bowl-game" against the Ivy (or NEC) champ.

You do realize lower divisions have even longer playoffs right?

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 11:39 PM
You do realize lower divisions have even longer playoffs right?

And that's why they are lower divisions.....

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 11:44 PM
You are indeed a moron. No offense.
And you're a ****ing dip****

Sader87
December 20th, 2014, 11:49 PM
And you're a ****ing dip****

Nope, I just know that Holy Cross playing the schedule they do is fine....the FCS playoffs are a fool's errand.

skinny_uncle
December 21st, 2014, 12:01 AM

Neither would losing the Pioneer. Until they offer schollies. they should not participate.

lionsrking2
December 21st, 2014, 12:04 AM
Time for some playoff contraction...back down to 20.

We'll go to 32 before back to 20.

FargoBison
December 21st, 2014, 12:26 AM
We'll go to 32 before back to 20.

A 24 team playoff without the MEAC makes absolutely no sense. Those last at-larges will be going to average at best teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 21st, 2014, 12:34 AM
Merged the similar threads.

clenz
December 21st, 2014, 12:46 AM
A 24 team playoff without the MEAC makes absolutely no sense. Those last at-larges will be going to average at best teams.
No different than the meac champ then...

WestCoastAggie
December 21st, 2014, 07:16 AM
HBCU's had to always deal,with being behind the 8-Ball. Heck, we couldn't even have our schools join the NCAA until the 1960's. Yes, that was 50 years ago but has the NCAA sincerely given us a chance to compete since? If you look at some of the rules for our division and football sub-division, you should say no.

For instance,why does a home playoff team have to give a cut of the revenue generated plus a check of at least $40,000 to the NCAA?

When your entire athletic budget is more than $10-$12 million, you can move stuff around to do that or you can always play on the road, but when the games are on ESPN3 for the first 3 rounds, is that kind of exposure really worth it? However, if your budget ranks near the bottom 10th of division one, that NCAA bid can really take a chunk out of the their budget either way and even if you play on the road, those expenses have to come out of your pocket first.

Also, the APR adversely affected HBCU's, which we all know.

Some of this is our own doing but when you are serving a historically underserved group while being historically under-funded by the states that created you, with racist intentions in mind, we have to look at things from a different viewpoint.

check out this link:

http://csri-jiia.org/documents/puclications/research_articles/2014/JIIA_2014_7_15_307_332_The_Case_of_HBSU.pdf

aceinthehole
December 21st, 2014, 07:20 AM

A very fair expectation. I don't think it is an awful concept.

Skyhawk71
December 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
I believe if this format comes to be, it would be in the best interest of Tennessee State to jump off the OVC ship and head for the SWAC or MEAC; there would be more exposure, and their alumni would be on that bandwagon quick, being annually middle of the pack or worse in the OVC does nothing for the school, and as a comparative they normally defeat SWAC and MEAC schools; Likewise, an HBCU NC would easily be more important to the fan base and alumni than on OVC Championship or the playoffs.....

superman7515
December 21st, 2014, 09:24 AM
I believe if this format comes to be, it would be in the best interest of Tennessee State to jump off the OVC ship and head for the SWAC or MEAC; there would be more exposure, and their alumni would be on that bandwagon quick, being annually middle of the pack or worse in the OVC does nothing for the school, and as a comparative they normally defeat SWAC and MEAC schools; Likewise, an HBCU NC would easily be more important to the fan base and alumni than on OVC Championship or the playoffs.....

The majority of the TSU posters I've seen talking about this have been laughing at the MEAC and saying they'd want no part of it. Of course, people who actually take time to post on a message board are usually in the top 10% of serious fans, so hardly representative of the fanbase as a whole, but if it is any indication of the mindset of Tennessee State fans, they would have no desire to leave the OVC after this. It was only 2-3 years ago that they turned the SWAC down, this isn't a game changer in the equation.

CasualFan
December 21st, 2014, 09:31 AM
I wonder how many of those 15 loses were road games. Anyone know how often the meac gets to host?
Just doing some digging:

2000 - FAMU lost on the road to Western KY, 27-0
2001 - FAMU lost on the road to GA Southern, 60-35
2002 - Bethune-Cookman lost on the road to GA Southern, 34-0
2003 - NC A&T lost on the road to Wofford, 31-0
2004 - Hampton lost on the road to W&M (3), 42-35
2005 - Hampton (3) lost at home to Richmond, 38-10
2006 - Hampton lost at home to New Hampshire, 41-38
2007 - Delaware State lost on the road to Delaware, 44-7
2008 - SC State lost on the road to App State (2), 37-21
2009 - SC State lost on the road to App State, 20-13
2010 - SC State lost on the road to GA Southern, 41-16 - 1st round
.........Bethune-Cookman lost at home to New Hampshire, 45-20 - 2nd round
2011 - Norfolk State lost on the road to Old Dominion, 35-18 - 1st round
2012 - Bethune-Cookman lost at home to Coastal Carolina, 24-14 - 1st round
2013 - Bethune-Cookman lost on the road to Coastal Carolina, 48-24 - 1st round
.........SC State lost at home to Furman, 30-20 - 1st round
2013 - Morgan State lost on the road to Richmond, 46-24 - 1st round

(parentheses indicates seed)

Source is Wikipedia.

813Jag
December 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Very interesting......I'm sure this game will go the way of the heritage bowl. I don't see fans paying for multiple trips s at the end of the season. Just for example if southern went, you'd have trips to New Orleans, Houston, and the bowl game.

Skyhawk71
December 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Turning down the SWAC was most certainly due to travel costs, but the normal TSU fan cares more about winning against HBCU's than winning the OVC- the majority of my TSU friends can quote HBCU National Championship Years, and will go to a FAMU or Jackson State game, but won't even attempt to go to a game with UTM or any of the other OVC schools (Note Edward Waters attendance vs. Jacksonville State attendance), and I offer to drive every time they play Martin-
since joining in 1986- Basketball (93,95) Football (98,99), Four playoff appearances (1-4) I honestly believe that the TSU fans would buy into the HBCU NC, and even push for it, trading mediocrity for an HBCU NC would be an easy call for the fans, but now would it be worth the money to send women's softball and other Olympic sports all the way to Louisiana and Texas, doubtful from that standpoint-

2014 TSU Home Games: Edward Waters(D2) 10,541; TN Tech 9,217; FAMU 29,225; Jax State 5,849; UTM 6,738; EKU 5,082; Jackson State (Liberty Bowl) 46,914

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2014, 10:16 AM
What would stop the SWAC and MEAC from dropping to Division II if this happened? They'd have their Disney-sponsored bowl and the $$$ and their same fans anyway. The SWAC MEAC admins would still get paid Disney money without suffering a pay cut. They could play SIAC teams without limit. Basically, their staying in D-I wouldn't be a necessity. In fact, all HBCUs would compete against each other at the D-II level.

Gil Dobie
December 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
With the 3 week layoff until the Championship, the NCAA could wait a week until these championship games are played and include the SWAC and MEAC. Playoff attendance is usually down on Thanksgiving weekend anyway.

bamasax4
December 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM
If I had to guess going d2 would eliminate the ability of the basketball and football teams to schedule money games. For some of the schools with large classics and strong home attendance this may be negligible. I'm not sure of the numbers though.

813Jag
December 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
With the 3 week layoff until the Championship, the NCAA could wait a week until these championship games are played and include the SWAC and MEAC. Playoff attendance is usually down on Thanksgiving weekend anyway.
I'd rather the swac either blow up the scg or the nine game mandate. But those horses have been beaten to death.

Skyhawk71
December 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM
What would stop the SWAC and MEAC from dropping to Division II if this happened? They'd have their Disney-sponsored bowl and the $$$ and their same fans anyway. The SWAC MEAC admins would still get paid Disney money without suffering a pay cut. They could play SIAC teams without limit. Basically, their staying in D-I wouldn't be a necessity. In fact, all HBCUs would compete against each other at the D-II level.

With D2, I'm sure the CIAA, SIAC would want a four team playoff......

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM
With D2, I'm sure the CIAA, SIAC would want a four team playoff......

Precisely. What it appears many of these fans want is an HBCU championship/playoff, and that only happens if they all are D-II. The Heritage Bowl failed originally because the MEAC champion wanted to compete in the playoffs instead of trying to determine an HBCU champion that couldn't be determined anyway.

Dropping to D-II also means that the pressures of full cost of attendance, sponsoring minimum sports, etc, goes by the wayside.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2014, 10:50 AM
If you had to put odds at which teams might flee the MEAC over this, what would you think?

My guesses:

Coppin State/UMES: 100% if they think they might drop to D-II, otherwise 0%. They live and die by NCAA tournament chances/shares.
Delaware State: 30%. Unclear about their overall commitment to football. Don't think they are passionate about the playoffs in particular or playing against Delaware.
Howard: 0%. Foursquare behind Heritage Bowl concept.
Hampton: 30%. President seems like advocate of Heritage Bowl despite appearances in playoffs in the past.
Norfolk State: 75%. They seem to highly value FCS competition and D-I hoops. I don't think they would put up with this.
Morgan State: 50%. Very much have been active in FBS guarantee game. If HB interferes with that I think they could jump.

Savannah State: 0%. Happy to be in the MEAC and hooked with SC State, FAMU and B-CU.
South Carolina State: 0%. Anything that increases costs, like switching divisions, isn't on the table.
NCAT/NCC: 50%. NCAT had some good history in the Heritage Bowl in the past, but do they want it now? I think they have bigger ambitions. NCC also is a lot more like NCAT and less like what might remain in the MEAC.
FAMU/B-CU: 30%. Have been big playoff advocates in past, but I think Jenkins' quick jump to Alabama State seems to indicate FAMU and B-CU will stay in the MEAC.

Norfolk State would have a LOT of suitors that have FCS football, that much is guaranteed. So would NCAT and/or NCC, I think.

eaglesdare
December 21st, 2014, 11:38 AM
If we were DII I question if ESPN would be paying money for tv. If we did dropped down I would just want to compete for National Championships. But as was mentioned earlier the folks talking in forums are the hardcore fans. What we want is never what the casual fan is in to. I realized that last year when I was PUMPED to see Towson come into our building and only 300 showed up.

So, Divisions:

North- Morgan State, Delaware State, Howard, Hampton, Norfolk State South- NCCU, NC A&T, SCSU, SSU, FAMU, BCU?

Sheesh, I hate giving up seats at the table....

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM

Zero incentive to drop down for the HBCU's or anyone else. The MEAC could play the CIAA right now if they want to as out of conference games.

This is akin to asking if the Ivy wanted to move to Div. III. Not happening.

Sycamore62
December 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Doesnt D2 prevent other D1 sports. I'd question if they want that.

Dane96
December 21st, 2014, 12:06 PM

Well, logically would that not say more about Holy Cross football than the FCS, as a whole?!

Sader87
December 21st, 2014, 12:17 PM
Well, logically would that not say more about Holy Cross football than the FCS, as a whole?!

Agreed....as I've said here, I'm not indicting the FCS-level as a whole....I think it is a great level, D1 football but not overblown with $$$/corruption/hypocrisy etc.

But I think HC's goals as an FCS program diffah from a North Dakota St, an Eastern Washington, a James Madison etc. in that winning the NC at the FCS-level is not really the ultimate goal. Playing and beating traditional/local rivals like Harvard, Yale, UNH, Colgate, Fordham and BC during the regulah season is more important to most alums/local fans than playing a Coastal Carolina in December.

I realize this comes across as insular and a bit elitist but it is what it is.

Sitting Bull
December 21st, 2014, 12:20 PM
Holy Cross alums/fans (of a certain age) would take a win ovah BC ovah an FCS Championship 99.999% of the time....

i really enjoyed our win at UVA back in 2009 - but I think it would be much more exciting to be in Frisco one day playing for a national championship game.

number1
December 21st, 2014, 12:20 PM
If we were DII I question if ESPN would be paying money for tv. If we did dropped down I would just want to compete for National Championships. But as was mentioned earlier the folks talking in forums are the hardcore fans. What we want is never what the casual fan is in to. I realized that last year when I was PUMPED to see Towson come into our building and only 300 showed up.

So, Divisions:

North- Morgan State, Delaware State, Howard, Hampton, Norfolk State South- NCCU, NC A&T, SCSU, SSU, FAMU, BCU?

Sheesh, I hate giving up seats at the table....

Looks like the MEAC needs to add 1 more team to try and even out those divisions.

Sitting Bull
December 21st, 2014, 12:21 PM

I remember Colgate being there not too long ago. I kind of remember they were very excited.

Sitting Bull
December 21st, 2014, 12:28 PM

Funny, I have heard several of your alums talk about the "mythical" national championship of 1986 (maybe it was 1985 or 1987?) - when HC deserved every bit of their #1 ranking, probably would have won the NC that year but instead had to sit on their butts because the Patriot would not allow participation.

Not one of those people has ever said, wow, I wished we would have played the Ivy champ to finish that year!

Maybe you would be interested in that bowl game, I'm not so sure your Ivy participant would.

Sader87
December 21st, 2014, 12:41 PM
It was '87....ironically the year aftah we stopped playing BC.

Again, if you polled HC alumni from that era and before, I guarantee you that more would have wanted to play BC than win the NC in that or any other year.

813Jag
December 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Doesnt D2 prevent other D1 sports. I'd question if they want that.
Yep, have to be fully D1, the Dayton rule

Sitting Bull
December 21st, 2014, 01:21 PM

Again, if you polled HC alumni from that era and before, I guarantee you that more would have wanted to play BC than win the NC in that or any other year.

Again, those I spoke to always bring that year up as the year they would have won a NC, not that it was too bad they didn't play BC.

Anyway, I have a feeling your thinking is more rooted in the fact that HC just isn't even in the ballpark for a playoff run. Fordham fans certainly have been.

The point is you should probably aspire to do both. The year we beat UVA, we also came within a point of making the national championship game.

NY Crusader 2010
December 21st, 2014, 05:37 PM
Agreed....as I've said here, I'm not indicting the FCS-level as a whole....I think it is a great level, D1 football but not overblown with $$$/corruption/hypocrisy etc.

But I think HC's goals as an FCS program diffah from a North Dakota St, an Eastern Washington, a James Madison etc. in that winning the NC at the FCS-level is not really the ultimate goal. Playing and beating traditional/local rivals like Harvard, Yale, UNH, Colgate, Fordham and BC during the regulah season is more important to most alums/local fans than playing a Coastal Carolina in December.

I realize this comes across as insular and a bit elitist but it is what it is.

I know I would trade our 2009 Homecoming win over Harvard for a playoff win over Villanova in a heartbeat as would 100% of that year's team and coaching staff.

And we're not realistically beating BC anytime soon. Sure, it's cool we're playing them but by no means will the games in 2018 or 2020 serve as a measuring stick for where we are. Our Patriot League record and our performances against Harvard, Yale and UNH will.

kdinva
December 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM
Cue Jay Walker in 3 ........ 2 ........... 1......

Go...gate
December 21st, 2014, 07:12 PM
I remember Colgate being there not too long ago. I kind of remember they were very excited.

We were. 2003 was one of the three best years in Colgate football history, the others being 1932 (undefeated, untied, unscored-uponn uninvited to the Rose Bowl, but voted National Champion in one poll) and 1977 (10-1, ranked in the I-A Top 20, 3rd in Lambert Trophy Balloting).

Go...gate
December 21st, 2014, 07:14 PM

That team would have beaten BC, IMO.

813Jag
December 22nd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Cue Jay Walker in 3 ........ 2 ........... 1......
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0820/ncf_jay_walker_200.jpg
you rang?

813Jag
December 22nd, 2014, 06:57 AM
all this Holy Cross talk has taken over this thread xnodx

dgtw
December 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Somewhere, Homer Plessey sheds a tear over this news.

WestCoastAggie
December 22nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Some factions against this game in the MEAC are saying that the game is not a done deal yet and there are some MEAC & SWAC schools looking for a way out. In fact, there were a few of us chatting with the OVC about an invite and rumor has it one of these schools were able to lure a new Head Coach based off this talk.

This will be interesting to watch going into 2015.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2014, 08:23 AM
South Carolina State: 0%. Anything that increases costs, like switching divisions, isn't on the table.

SC State was completely against it when it came up the last time, just two seasons ago, and was willing to leave for the Big South then. I can't imagine they've changed from 100% against it to 100% for it in two years with the same folks in charge.

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
With the MEAC losing an AQ I'd think the field has to drop back to 20 teams. The math the NCAA uses is an equal amount of at-large berths to AQ's. When the Big South & NEC were added AQ's went from 8 to 10 and the field likewise went from 16 to 20. The the Pioneer got an AQ going to 11 AQ's & they went from 20 to 24 teams. Going back to 10 AQ's should result in going back to 20 teams, should it not?

FormerPokeCenter
December 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Somewhere, Homer Plessey sheds a tear over this news.

He's buried in St. Louis cemetery No. 1, a stone's throw from the Super Dome and the site of the Bayou Classic.

On one hand, you've got to believe he'd be pleased with what the BC has become. On the other, you have to think he'd be a little chagrined over the decision not to participate in the playoffs...

Mixed bag...

BluBengal07
December 22nd, 2014, 09:09 AM
Some factions against this game in the MEAC are saying that the game is not a done deal yet and there are some MEAC & SWAC schools looking for a way out. In fact, there were a few of us chatting with the OVC about an invite and rumor has it one of these schools were able to lure a new Head Coach based off this talk.

This will be interesting to watch going into 2015.

this must be SWAC related, yes? then talk base off OVC.... Alabama State? which will equate to two schools in bama for OVC footprint. BUT if ASU is successful in leaving the SWAC, could we see another school moving out soon after, pv?

i guess we'll see in 2015 & 2016.

Humble Steward
December 22nd, 2014, 09:14 AM
this must be SWAC related, yes? then talk base off OVC.... Alabama State? which will equate to two schools in bama for OVC footprint. BUT if ASU is successful in leaving the SWAC, could we see another school moving out soon after, pv?

Yes, we will. I'm all for BCU leaving the MEAC if this deal happens.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
SC State was completely against it when it came up the last time, just two seasons ago, and was willing to leave for the Big South then. I can't imagine they've changed from 100% against it to 100% for it in two years with the same folks in charge.

IMO, what has changed to me is the financial crisis at the school. But maybe it's more like 30%. I just don't know where they'd come up with the extra money.

clenz
December 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
With the MEAC losing an AQ I'd think the field has to drop back to 20 teams. The math the NCAA uses is an equal amount of at-large berths to AQ's. When the Big South & NEC were added AQ's went from 8 to 10 and the field likewise went from 16 to 20. The the Pioneer got an AQ going to 11 AQ's & they went from 20 to 24 teams. Going back to 10 AQ's should result in going back to 20 teams, should it not?
It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split...it must be at least 50/50.

I wouldn't mind going back to a 20 team field but don't see it happening.

BluBengal07
December 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Yes, we will. I'm all for BCU leaving the MEAC if this deal happens.

xeyebrowx who is we?
how is BCU apart of this, other than loosing your HC and former OC to the same program(no bash, just facts). BCU is talking about leaving MEAC? are you referencing to about the rumored MEAC/SWAC deal? where to, if do? haven't heard much(if any) about BCU wanting out of MEAC.

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split...it must be at least 50/50.

I wouldn't mind going back to a 20 team field but don't see it happening.

You're correct that it must be at least 50/50. The NCAA doesn't make much on those early games & without what they get from Frisco they'd lose money on the postseason like they did when it was in Chatty. I think there is a good chance they could go back to 20.

clenz
December 22nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
You're correct that it must be at least 50/50. The NCAA doesn't make much on those early games & without what they get from Frisco they'd lose money on the postseason like they did when it was in Chatty. I think there is a good chance they could go back to 20.
I don't disagree and would like to see it back to 20.

The issue with skipping thanksgiving (As some have said) is the semi's being the Firday/Saturday of Christmas.
Dec 25, 2015 is a Friday
Dec 25, 2016 is a Sunday
Dec 25, 2017 is a a Monday

You could argue that being the semi's those games would naturally draw better against a holiday than opening round match ups, but still no students on campus, still people traveling all over, worse weather to contend with, etc...

WestCoastAggie
December 22nd, 2014, 10:24 AM

The OVC talked to a pair of MEAC schools too over the past year, and neither of the schools were FAMU. One of the schools is in the process of growing their enrollment and part of that process is growing their non-black student population.

The two schools I am referring to are experiencing enrollment gains, despite the PLUS-Loans fiasco with Obama's Education Sec and despite their bitterness towards each other on the field, are joined at the hip and wouldn't separate themselves from athletic competition again.

These schools would be the main ones pushing against any loss of any Automatic Qualifier for the MEAC and they have been having conversations with multiple conferences for the past 12 months. They have been investing way too much institutional cash, in the Chancellor's mind to forego any AQ or any Division One status.

BluBengal07
December 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
The OVC talked to a pair of MEAC schools too over the past year, and neither of the schools were FAMU. One of the schools is in the process of growing their enrollment and part of that process is growing their non-black student population.

The two schools I am referring to are experiencing enrollment gains, despite the PLUS-Loans fiasco with Obama's Education Sec and despite their bitterness towards each other on the field, are joined at the hip and wouldn't separate themselves from athletic competition again.

These schools would be the main ones pushing against any loss of any Automatic Qualifier for the MEAC and they have been having conversations with multiple conferences for the past 12 months. They have been investing way too much institutional cash, in the Chancellor's mind to forego any AQ or any Division One status.

MEACs talking to OVC. interesting... a potential expansion project for OVC...

Jackson State is the fastest growing HBCU right now and projecting to hit 10k students in about 2016. a lot of investment in the institution and quality of life in the pass 8 years. athletics is the last venture right now when you look at things. just hope they're not waiting too late to fix the mess.

rokamortis
December 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM

Is the Big South talking with those teams? Seems like a better fit geographically.

WestCoastAggie
December 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
Is the Big South Talking with those teams? Seems like a better fit geographically.

Yep. The Big South and the SoCon has talked with these teams previously.

BluBengal07
December 22nd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Yep. The Big South and the SoCon has talked with these teams previously.

SCSU & NC A&T?
bonus: NCCU OR BCU?

superman7515
December 22nd, 2014, 01:46 PM
IMO, what has changed to me is the financial crisis at the school. But maybe it's more like 30%. I just don't know where they'd come up with the extra money.

The financial situation was already ongoing at the time when they came out saying they would leave the MEAC over the proposed MEAC/SWAC bowl game. That's not new to the equation.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
The financial situation was already ongoing at the time when they came out saying they would leave the MEAC over the proposed MEAC/SWAC bowl game. That's not new to the equation.

Interesting. Another big open question I have at the moment is FAMU/B-CU as well. At one time they were very anti-Heritage Bowl and wanted the playoffs, but I sense their position has shifted. I keep looking at Jenkins' very sudden departure to Alabama State, too.

melloware13
December 22nd, 2014, 03:47 PM

They would be allowed to contract down to 20. I think it's that At Larges must be at least equal to AQ's, but to make a more even bracket they are currently at 11-13. Of course if they somehow convinced the Ivy to accept their AQ, then it would have to remain at 24.

Humble Steward
December 22nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Interesting. Another big open question I have at the moment is FAMU/B-CU as well. At one time they were very anti-Heritage Bowl and wanted the playoffs, but I sense their position has shifted. I keep looking at Jenkins' very sudden departure to Alabama State, too.

Honestly, I don't think FAMU or BCU have changed their position about wanting to compete in the playoffs. It's one of the reasons the Florida classic was changed from the Thanksgiving weekend. As far as Brian Jenkins goes, he needed a change of scenery, and with Alabama State considering going to the OVC conference he still can compete in the playoffs. As you will see not one coach left to go with Jenkins to Alabama state. I think if you see this bowl game deal go through a lot of teams will make some serious decisions.

Humble Steward
December 22nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
xeyebrowx who is we?
how is BCU apart of this, other than loosing your HC and former OC to the same program(no bash, just facts). BCU is talking about leaving MEAC? are you referencing to about the rumored MEAC/SWAC deal? where to, if do? haven't heard much(if any) about BCU wanting out of MEAC.

I will let this play out more before I respond. Seems that you have already formulated your opinion.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
Doesn't sound like many of the MEAC fans are very interested. It's already been dubbed the 2015 Rochester Farina - Step & Fetch-It Championship Tilt Chittlin' Bowl.

BluBengal07
December 22nd, 2014, 08:46 PM
I will let this play out more before I respond. Seems that you have already formulated your opinion.

No, just never heard about BCU wanting out. That's not an opinion.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
A lot of talk from high places about Alabama State approaching the OVC.

Sycamore62
December 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM
It's probably somewhere in the thread but does anything say how many schools voted for this. I assume half plus 1 but I'm curious how many schools will consider moving to a good fit different conference.

edit: I realize this is already being discussed

superman7515
December 22nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
It's probably somewhere in the thread but does anything say how many schools voted for this. I assume half plus 1 but I'm curious how many schools will consider moving to a good fit different conference.

edit: I realize this is already being discussed

It hasn't been passed yet, at least that is my understanding, although there are some saying it is a foregone conclusion. It would take a 75% approval by the MEAC Presidents.

PantherRob82
December 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
I'm hearing rumors of UNI to the SWAC. Gotta win a championship somehow. xlolx

JayJ79
December 22nd, 2014, 09:46 PM

if it drops back to 20, they'll have no reason to seed 8. it will mostly likely drop back to 5 (25% of the field).

dgtw
December 22nd, 2014, 10:54 PM
The OVC already has 12 members, but two of them don't play football and another is in the Pioneer League. I'd be all for the HBCU refugees joining if we kick the others out. But I would want hem to play a full schedule and not be allowed to player one fewer league game so they can continue to play their "Classic" games.

Panther88
December 22nd, 2014, 11:02 PM
lol Bad PantherRob lol

citdog
December 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM

the former president of SC State and severally former members of the board are going to have to be lucky to avoid prison. The James Clyburn, D SC, Transportation Center is missing millions of dollars and the school is being run on the charity of the government of the State of South Carolina through loans that everyone knows they will never be able to pay back. It's a shame because Buddy Pough is one hell of a coach.

Panther88
December 22nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
The FCS playoff landscape is virtually unchanged if the HBCU bowl game between the MEAC/SWAC occurs. It was the mid-late 1990s of BJoe led FAMU that the MEAC was viable. The SWAC was o'fer forever since the tourney began(actually I think JSU had a victory over another HBCU in the early-mid 1980s-I think ?????).

PantherRob82
December 22nd, 2014, 11:30 PM
lol Bad PantherRob lol

UNI vs Grambling. Better bands, more tailgating. I like it.

Then we play FAMU for the championship!

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2014, 01:02 AM

POTY.....congrats. :D

Panther88
December 23rd, 2014, 06:41 AM
UNI vs Grambling. Better bands, more tailgating. I like it.

Then we play FAMU for the championship!

Careful, PR82. You're bordering P5 thought process. :D

WestCoastAggie
December 23rd, 2014, 08:17 AM
A lot of talk from high places about Alabama State approaching the OVC.

They, along with Jacksonville State approached the Sun Belt about membership invites.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Not making a statement one way or the other but it's kinda funny that all the Bama State news/rumors are being posted by non Bama State people.

superman7515
December 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Not making a statement one way or the other but it's kinda funny that all the Bama State news/rumors are being posted by non Bama State people.

I'm not saying there's any truth to it, just that there are a lot of rumors. Typically, where there's been this much smoke lately, there's been fire. Just look at Brian Jenkins saying that he had no contact at all with Alabama State less than 48 hours before he left as the new head coach. And more realignment than you can shake a stick at happened quickly after a school denied it was doing any such thing, haha. At this point, I don't trust anyone who gives such an unequivocal no.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
I'm not saying there's any truth to it, just that there are a lot of rumors. Typically, where there's been this much smoke lately, there's been fire. Just look at Brian Jenkins saying that he had no contact at all with Alabama State less than 48 hours before he left as the new head coach. And more realignment than you can shake a stick at happened quickly after a school denied it was doing any such thing, haha. At this point, I don't trust anyone who gives such an unequivocal no.
My statement has more to do with the fact that there's little to no discussion from the Bama State people. There's a two page discussion on the SWAC page and only a few posts are from Bama State fans. As a matter of there's not much discussion on the SWAC end about this bowl game. I have no doubt things are happening behind the scenes. As for the Jenkins move, don't forget he was a finalist for the Southern job two years ago (although that could have been just an opportunity to get more money from BCU)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
What makes me scratch my head is, how can it be that 75% of the MEAC presidents have a "yes" vote on this bowl game?

Only 4 would need to oppose such a plan for it to fail. If UMES/Coppin don't like it, all they need is 2 other votes, which seems like a foregone conclusion (IMO those schools are Norfolk St. and NCAT). Even if they say yes all Norfolk and NCAT would need are 2 more votes. If FAMU and B-CU are against it then it's a foregone conclusion that it wouldn't pass.

Even with FAMU and B-CU it's dicey. If South Carolina State is still as vehemently opposed to it as ever, all they'd need is one lousy vote. Morgan State could sink it.

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2014, 09:25 AM
The vote will pass. No conference (except the Big East) can afford to walk away from ESPN's money.

clenz
December 23rd, 2014, 09:33 AM
What makes me scratch my head is, how can it be that 75% of the MEAC presidents have a "yes" vote on this bowl game?

Only 4 would need to oppose such a plan for it to fail. If UMES/Coppin don't like it, all they need is 2 other votes, which seems like a foregone conclusion (IMO those schools are Norfolk St. and NCAT). Even if they say yes all Norfolk and NCAT would need are 2 more votes. If FAMU and B-CU are against it then it's a foregone conclusion that it wouldn't pass.

Even with FAMU and B-CU it's dicey. If South Carolina State is still as vehemently opposed to it as ever, all they'd need is one lousy vote. Morgan State could sink it.
Do UMES and Coppin get a vote in football realted items?

- - - Updated - - -

The vote will pass. No conference (except the Big East) can afford to walk away from ESPN's money.
BIG schools get over $25m a year from the BTN...Fox...and it's about to go to over $40m.

Herder
December 23rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
The current FCS playoff system is the FBS equivalent of the SEC getting 2 bids and the Sunbelt 1 bid. Seems like the weakers conferences are getting their cake and eating it too, and they are still complaining.

As for the MEAC and SWAC playing a championship game . . . OH BOY, I CAN HARDLY WAIT! I say boot both conferences out of the FCS, and put them in the FCr$ . . . Football Crap Subdivision.

eaglesdare
December 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Ha. Kick us out huh? Want to change the names of the major post season awards too?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2014, 10:48 AM

Somehow the Patriot League soldiers on without it.

clenz
December 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
I think almost every FCS conference does...no?

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Careful, PR82. You're bordering P5 thought process. :D

I'd rather be in the playoffs, but it would be a blast if UNI won the Heritage Bowl. :)

clenz
December 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
I'd rather be in the playoffs, but it would be a blast if UNI won the Heritage Bowl. :)
I think UNI could send the redshirts and second string and win that thing a good number of years

Big Dawg
December 23rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Do UMES and Coppin get a vote in football realted items?

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny you ask about UMES and Coppin State...I read that they were only allowed back into the conference as long as the re-instated football within a year or so of joining...and that was decades ago

number1
December 23rd, 2014, 01:56 PM
I am very interested in how all of this turns out. Everyone in the SWAC and MEAC have to make the decision that they feel is in the best interest of their program, and not what others that have nothing to do with their school think they should do.

superman7515
December 23rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
It's funny you ask about UMES and Coppin State...I read that they were only allowed back into the conference as long as the re-instated football within a year or so of joining...and that was decades ago

UMES left the MEAC after the 1979 season and shuttered football, but was allowed to rejoin in 1981 under the rule that they restart the football team within two years (Coppin never had football to restart). Random college football bar trivia, UMES has the record for must players appearing in a single Super Bowl, there were five players from UMES that played in Super Bowl III between Broadway Joe's NY Jets and Earl Morrall's Baltimore Colts.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
UMES left the MEAC after the 1979 season and shuttered football, but was allowed to rejoin in 1981 under the rule that they restart the football team within two years (Coppin never had football to restart). Random college football bar trivia, UMES has the record for must players appearing in a single Super Bowl, there were five players from UMES that played in Super Bowl III between Broadway Joe's NY Jets and Earl Morrall's Baltimore Colts.

One of those was back Emerson Boozer. Another famous UMES alumnus is Art Shell, former Raider OL and president of the NFLPA for many years.

AggieManiac704
December 23rd, 2014, 07:03 PM
xcoffeex

im 100% playoffs

Let this "HBCU Game" go by way of committee.....have whoever's footing the bills for the game pick the best matchup from the non-playoff teams.....they can have at it, take the $, while the champ goes to the FCS playoffs.....

WestCoastAggie
December 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM

Hold everything! The CCEO's don't have the votes needed to set the game up, so for the 2015 season, the MEAC will not be giving up their AQ.

There is a group of 4-5 Presidents against the game (A&T, BCU, NCCU and SCSU) supposedly.

number1
December 23rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Oh well, we'll continue to grow our Championship Game in the SWAC then. That was a pretty good deal for the bowl game though.

dbackjon
December 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Many are at D-II level budgets to begin with.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Many are at D-II level budgets to begin with.

The SWAC or the PL?

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2014, 02:49 PM
The SWAC or the PL?
Food for thought: If North Dakota State was in the PL, it would rank fourth in the size of its football budget.

BisonFan02
December 24th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Food for thought: If North Dakota State was in the PL, it would rank fourth in the size of its football budget.

How much of that is tuition/scholarship cost? Honest question...I'm curious where those monies are allocated.

major095
December 25th, 2014, 04:47 AM

Alabama state wants the sunbelt (or c-usa now that uab is done, but that's not going to happen) and they wont make a move until the sunbelt is definitive about their membership. If it's no they will entertain switching fcs conferences.

BCU Smitty
December 25th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I hope BCU is looking to get out the
Multiple sources are confirming that the MEAC has finally agreed to send their champ. to play the SWAC in the HBCU Champ. Game. The game is rumored to start in 2015 and the Pot for the game is $2 Million Yearly, with the conference splitting the pot 50/50.

Each participating team will receive $700,000 and the conference will split the remaining $600,000 among the Front Offices and conference members.

The MEAC is also rumored to start a MEAC Champ. Game the same year and host the game in Charlotte, NC. The Champ. Game is rumored to be in Atlanta or Orlando and there is a 3 year contract, underwritten by ESPN.

Lastly, due to the participation of the MEAC in this game, their AQ is likely to be given up.

It remains to be seen if any MEAC members are looking to be invited to other conferences.

Thoughts?
This is a great time for BCU to get out of the MEAC.

Big Dawg
December 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I hope BCU is looking to get out the
This is a great time for BCU to get out of the MEAC.

Heck BCU was the first one who decided to jump back in bed with the MEAC and re-join the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and FAMU and BCU both vowed not to play in the game.

number1
December 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Heck BCU was the first one who decided to jump back in bed with the MEAC and re-join the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and FAMU and BCU both vowed not to play in the game.

$$$$ talks. lol

813Jag
December 25th, 2014, 12:31 PM
$$$$ talks. lol
and you know what walks. That's why I'm not really worried about anybody making moves over this game. I'm just reading the thread like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eO8o9_rI154/Tw4x1NQg0EI/AAAAAAAAAnk/QeUJsEsqgMg/s1600/gus-psyche-popcorn.gif

Big Dawg
December 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
and you know what walks. That's why I'm not really worried about anybody making moves over this game. I'm just reading the thread like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eO8o9_rI154/Tw4x1NQg0EI/AAAAAAAAAnk/QeUJsEsqgMg/s1600/gus-psyche-popcorn.gif

It's also the reason why I've avoided it for the most part...I'd rather participate in the playoffs, but the athletic landscape is all about money nowadays, so if it's better for us to do this in the long run, then so be it

dgtw
December 25th, 2014, 03:23 PM
If schools hate the idea enough to leave the league altogether, I don't know how the proposal will pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
December 25th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Dropping to Div Ii makes no sense. Move up to FBS, play more classics. Hell, have an HBCU playoff...

Herder
December 26th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Ha. Kick us out huh? Want to change the names of the major post season awards too?

I'm sure that Eddie Walter and Buck would be all about seeing how much money their school could make and avoiding the FCS championships. They'd be pissed by this stupidity, and would insist on pursuing the one true FCS championship. This segregation football is stupidity.

GAD
December 26th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I'm sure that Eddie Walter and Buck would be all about seeing how much money their school could make and avoiding the FCS championships. They'd be pissed by this stupidity, and would insist on pursuing the one true FCS championship. This segregation football is stupidity.
Eddie was one of the first to tell them NO! and that his tigers would not be participating unless it was done after the Bayou Classic

dgtw
December 26th, 2014, 08:18 PM

number1
December 26th, 2014, 08:53 PM

You do realize that Eddie Robinson coached Grambling for a long time, passing on the playoffs in favor of the Bayou Classic on Thanksgiving weekend?

number1
December 26th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Eddie was one of the first to tell them NO! and that his tigers would not be participating unless it was done after the Bayou Classic

lol

WestCoastAggie
December 27th, 2014, 08:05 AM
UPDATE: Apparently, another vote occurred and the game passed, with three schools, including Savannah State voting against it.

The he game will happen in 2015, for now.

No no official word yet.

This is really confusing with all the secrecy in the MEAC. it's just a game.

But meh...

rokamortis
December 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM
UPDATE: Apparently, another vote occurred and the game passed, with three schools, including Savannah State voting against it.

No no official word yet.

But meh...

What are the other schools you heard voted no?

WestCoastAggie
December 27th, 2014, 08:30 AM
What are the other schools you heard voted no?

A&T voted no, I heard but neither FAMU or SCSU voted against the game. I will assume the third school is either Norfolk or Bethune. No official word, yet

WestCoastAggie
December 27th, 2014, 08:31 AM
It will be interesting if A&T can get an invite soon.

DSUrocks07
December 27th, 2014, 08:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

813Jag
December 27th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Right hand meet left hand

dgtw
December 27th, 2014, 12:39 PM
So will the SWAC keep their own championship game or just crown a champion from their round robin regular season?

813Jag
December 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM
So will the SWAC keep their own championship game or just crown a champion from their round robin regular season?

As far as I know the swac hasn't made any changes, the SCG will continue.

number1
December 27th, 2014, 01:17 PM

No no official word yet.

But meh...

Now that's interesting.

dgtw
December 27th, 2014, 02:54 PM
By my count, there will be 125 FCS teams next year with the additions of ETSU and Kennesaw St. With the Ivy and the HBCUs skipping the playoffs, that gives us ten AQs and 14 at large teams. After the AQs are determined, that leaves a pool of 86 teams vying for those spots. If you throw out the non-champs from the Pioneer League, we have 76 teams going for the 14 at larges.

Granted, an HBCU could still get an at large, but that is unlikely.

Everyone gets a trophy!!!!!

clenz
December 27th, 2014, 03:14 PM
By my count, there will be 125 FCS teams next year with the additions of ETSU and Kennesaw St. With the Ivy and the HBCUs skipping the playoffs, that gives us ten AQs and 14 at large teams. After the AQs are determined, that leaves a pool of 86 teams vying for those spots. If you throw out the non-champs from the Pioneer League, we have 76 teams going for the 14 at larges.

Granted, an HBCU could still get an at large, but that is unlikely.

Everyone gets a trophy!!!!!

That's still less than 20% of possible teams getting in...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
A&T voted no, I heard but neither FAMU or SCSU voted against the game. I will assume the third school is either Norfolk or Bethune. No official word, yet

My opinion the 3rd team would be Norfolk.

Sonic98
December 27th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Thoughts?

Didn't we already try this once? I never went to the Heritage Bowl and rarely watched it on tv. I just don't see the point or the interest in the game, unless both teams are having extraordinary years. The MEAC is stupid to follow the SWAC lead. Things have just gone from bad to worse since we started with the SCG. Giving up your AQ is basically quitting and running away with your tail tucked between your legs. Instead of worrying with this mess, both the MEAC and TnSU need to be focusing on creating a more difficult nonconference schedule, increasing budgets, recruiting better, and being smarter about what positions they place most value on. They might also look at better and bigger coaching staff

Sonic98
December 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM

The money will only help a little, and if we're relying on this to up our exposure, we're in big trouble

Sonic98
December 27th, 2014, 04:59 PM
It's just a damn shame there aren't a lot of FCS schools of in the sane areas as some of the SWAC schools. I would love to see the 3 SWAC schools that have been the most successful leave for another conference together, but schools not far from us like say the OVC schools don't care anymore about having competitive programs than we do. We always talk about the lack of playoff success for the SWAC and MEAC, but what do you expect when our OOC schedule is always each other, D2, D3, and an occasional money game. Anyone is going to lose if the first time they see a good team is the post season. The fact that TnSU has dominated us for the most part recently even though they're in a conference that's slightly better, shows that

I would love to see SC State join the Big South.

I wish all the SC and NC schools could move together. I'm not sure they want to be a lone ranger like TnSU

DSUrocks07
December 27th, 2014, 06:10 PM
So since three schools voted against it, i wonder what this means for them in both the short term and long term?

R.A.
December 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Where's the article confirming this thing?

BluBengal07
December 28th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Where's the article confirming this thing?

has there been an article to confirm any of this. xcoffeex welcome to HBCU Talk @ AGS.

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 01:18 AM

Thoughts?

Dude why are you in here gossiping?

You don't know what the payout is going to be.

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 01:27 AM
The money will only help a little, and if we're relying on this to up our exposure, we're in big trouble

And you know this because you ran how many institutions of higher learning again?

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 01:32 AM

Isn't it amazing the arrogance of some people, to think they know what Rob would say, and never knew the man?

;)

number1
December 30th, 2014, 01:45 AM
It's just a damn shame there aren't a lot of FCS schools of in the sane areas as some of the SWAC schools. I would love to see the 3 SWAC schools that have been the most successful leave for another conference together, but schools not far from us like say the OVC schools don't care anymore about having competitive programs than we do. We always talk about the lack of playoff success for the SWAC and MEAC, but what do you expect when our OOC schedule is always each other, D2, D3, and an occasional money game. Anyone is going to lose if the first time they see a good team is the post season. The fact that TnSU has dominated us for the most part recently even though they're in a conference that's slightly better, shows that

I wish all the SC and NC schools could move together. I'm not sure they want to be a lone ranger like TnSU

That has nothing to do with the conference they are in. Tennessee State just has a mental edge over Jackson State. Heck when we restarted our series with Tenn. State in 2007 it ended 2-2 with us winning both games in Baton Rouge and them winning both games in Nashville. I think you are reading too much into that conference stuff. lol
- - - Updated - - -

My opinion the 3rd team would be Norfolk.

What are you basing that on?

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 02:42 AM
That has nothing to do with the conference they are in. Tennessee State just has a mental edge over Jackson State. Heck when we restarted our series with Tenn. State in 2007 it ended 2-2 with us winning both games in Baton Rouge and them winning both games in Nashville. I think you are reading too much into that conference stuff. lol
- - - Updated - - -

What are you basing that on?

He miss the part about the fact they haven't dominated any other SWAC schools like they have them since we went to divisional play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

number1
December 30th, 2014, 04:27 PM
This article should answer most questions.

Listen: Morgan State AD Confirms MEAC/SWAC Bowl Game Will Be Played In 2015

Kenn Rashad (http://hbcusports.com/author/krashad/)

The presidents of the MEAC and SWAC member schools have agreed to play in a postseason football bowl game in 2015, according to Morgan State athletics director Floyd Kerr.
Kerr made a Dec. 20 call-in appearance to The Carlos Brown Show on WUBR-910 (Baton Rouge, La.) where he confirmed rumors that the MEAC would forego its automatic bid to the NCAA FCS playoffs to have its conference champion compete against the SWAC’s champion.
It’s a game, created by ESPN, Kerr says will pay each conference $1 million.
“The presidents of each league have decided that, yes, this is going to happen,” Kerr said, “ESPN is the driving force behind it and it’s been vetted quite well.

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/listen-morgan-state-ad-confirms-meacswac-bowl-game-will-be-played-in-2015/

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
How did everyone miss that he said this 10 days ago? :)

WestCoastAggie
December 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM

The turnover of Chancellors/Presidents is a factor as well as new Information presented from ESPN about the game.

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 04:51 PM

Because they're delusional

clenz
December 30th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Because we are racist. ..

number1
December 30th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Because we are racist. ..

Glad you are coming clean.

BluBengal07
December 30th, 2014, 05:44 PM
now this thread can start... (thanks number1 for bring this over) the past 22 pages are more than likely meaningless and of poor taste. :Dxthumbsupx xbeerchugx

The presidents of the MEAC and SWAC member schools have agreed to play in a postseason football bowl game in 2015, according to Morgan State athletics director Floyd Kerr.
Kerr made a Dec. 20 call-in appearance to The Carlos Brown Show on WUBR-910 (Baton Rouge, La.) where he confirmed rumors that the MEAC would forego its automatic bid to the NCAA FCS playoffs to have its conference champion compete against the SWAC’s champion.
“The presidents of each league have decided that, yes, this is going to happen,” Kerr said, “ESPN is the driving force behind it and it’s been vetted quite well.

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/lis...layed-in-2015/ (http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/listen-morgan-state-ad-confirms-meacswac-bowl-game-will-be-played-in-2015/)

DeltaDevil662
December 30th, 2014, 07:14 PM
now this thread can start... (thanks number1 for bring this over) the past 22 pages are more than likely meaningless and of poor taste. :Dxthumbsupx xbeerchugx

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/lis...layed-in-2015/ (http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/listen-morgan-state-ad-confirms-meacswac-bowl-game-will-be-played-in-2015/)

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx..........

bluedog
December 30th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Glad you are coming clean.

ROTFLMAO! !!

Now that's funny as hell!

BluBengal07
December 30th, 2014, 08:15 PM
so it's starting in 2015. who's bowling?

prediction........ South Carolina State (MEAC) vs Alcorn (SWAC)

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Bethune vs Alabama St

WestCoastAggie
December 30th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Don't start making predictions just yet.

superman7515
December 31st, 2014, 05:52 AM
Just my humble opinion, but I enjoyed having the MEAC in the playoffs, and not for douchebag response you'll get from some others about enjoying them in there because it was an easy win. When not cheering for one of my teams, I usually pull for the underdog, and had been hoping for a MEAC team to break through. The more conferences/teams participating, the more exposure, the better for the FCS as a whole. And say what you will about recent performances, but some of the schools in the MEAC are very well known, and the name value of a Florida A&M, Howard, Hampton, etc when they are doing well is good for everyone. Hopefully they'll return to the playoffs soon.

OL FU
December 31st, 2014, 06:49 AM
Just my humble opinion, but I enjoyed having the MEAC in the playoffs, and not for douchebag response you'll get from some others about enjoying them in there because it was an easy win. When not cheering for one of my teams, I usually pull for the underdog, and had been hoping for a MEAC team to break through. The more conferences/teams participating, the more exposure, the better for the FCS as a whole. And say what you will about recent performances, but some of the schools in the MEAC are very well known, and the name value of a Florida A&M, Howard, Hampton, etc when they are doing well is good for everyone. Hopefully they'll return to the playoffs soon.

I always cheer for SC State unless they are playing my Paladins.

AmsterBison
December 31st, 2014, 07:43 AM

Also, if they can get the stadiums filled, as I'd suspect they will, it'll make for better TV than a lot of the FBS bowl games.

WestCoastAggie
December 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM
There is one school in the MEAC that is being a thorn in the side of everyone for this champ. Game.

Imho, if A certain school wasn't blocking this, this school would have left for the Big South by now and this game would have no hiccups.

But now, this school, if they can't delay the game from happening, will need to instantly become more attractive to the SoCon or perhaps the CAA. They may also have to look at dropping a division or going it as a division 1 independent.

813Jag
December 31st, 2014, 09:25 AM
I'm interested in location/date/actual attendance. Game could work well if the logistics are right. But I still have my doubts.

dbackjon
December 31st, 2014, 10:19 AM

Agreed - I wish every conference sent their champs.

TheRevSFA
December 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
I agree with Supe.

rokamortis
December 31st, 2014, 11:02 AM
There is one school in the MEAC that is being a thorn in the side of everyone for this champ. Game.

Imho, if A certain school wasn't blocking this, this school would have left for the Big South by now and this game would have no hiccups.

But now, this school, if they can't delay the game from happening, will need to instantly become more attractive to the SoCon or perhaps the CAA. They may also have to look at dropping a division or going it as a division 1 independent.

Are you saying a Big South school is blocking the entrance of a MEAC school to the Big South? If so, who is it? I read some inuendo on another board that it could be Liberty - is that true? If so, they shouldn't be blocking anyone as their intentions to go to the FBS are clearly stated.

I think any MEAC school would have a much easier time getting into the Big South rather than the SoCon or CAA. The SoCon and CAA have such high standards and opinions of themselves I think any MEAC school would be at a disadvantage as many other schools, like Coastal, for the following reasons: academics, budget, and prestige.

bluedog
December 31st, 2014, 12:16 PM
This ought to be good

WestCoastAggie
December 31st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Are you saying a Big South school is blocking the entrance of a MEAC school to the Big South? If so, who is it? I read some inuendo on another board that it could be Liberty - is that true? If so, they shouldn't be blocking anyone as their intentions to go to the FBS are clearly stated.

I think any MEAC school would have a much easier time getting into the Big South rather than the SoCon or CAA. The SoCon and CAA have such high standards and opinions of themselves I think any MEAC school would be at a disadvantage as many other schools, like Coastal, for the following reasons: academics, budget, and prestige.

Well it isn't Coastal blocking anything.

rokamortis
December 31st, 2014, 07:22 PM
Well it isn't Coastal blocking anything.

Well that's one down. I assume that your non-answer is indicative of the truth.

WileECoyote06
December 31st, 2014, 07:41 PM
If this is the school that is rumored to be seriously exploring their options, it would be a coup for the Big South. This is institution is one of the MEAC's flagship institutions, is well regarded regionally and nationally, its fans travel very well, and it will add a goodisized television market to the Big South's imprint. Poaching them from the MEAC won't cripple the conference, but it would be devastating. Quite honestly, if they do leave I hope we leave with them.

WestCoastAggie
December 31st, 2014, 08:14 PM
If this is the school that is rumored to be seriously exploring their options, it would be a coup for the Big South. This is institution is one of the MEAC's flagship institutions, is well regarded regionally and nationally, its fans travel very well, and it will add a goodisized television market to the Big South's imprint. Poaching them from the MEAC won't cripple the conference, but it would be devastating. Quite honestly, if they do leave I hope we leave with them.

And there is a reason why their Athletic Spending grew from $7 million in 2010/11 to $11.6 in 2013/14. And no, it's not FAMU. Lastly, it won't matter now. The MEAC may get ESPN to approve the counter offer, which allows the conference their auto bid and remain a very stable conference, as far as membership goes.

WestCoastAggie
December 31st, 2014, 08:16 PM
Well that's one down. I assume that your non-answer is indicative of the truth.

You better believe it. It's a shame really but oh well. I like the MEAC.

Ivytalk
December 31st, 2014, 11:33 PM
I hope the game is a roaring success.

And the Ivy champ plays the winner!

bluedog
January 1st, 2015, 12:28 AM
I hope the game is a roaring success.

And the Ivy champ plays the winner!

Unfortunately that's prohibited by NCAA bylaws. I'd rather play the Ivy Champs