PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with I-AA Football?

Guard Dawg
November 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
What don't you like about I-AA football? What could make it better? What do you think of the playoff system? Should it be expanded? Should teams be ranked who aren't playoff eligible? Do you think the new moniker for the I-AA division will greatly benefit the teams in it?

If you could fix one thing about this level of football... what would it be and why?

Fire away....

The Cats
November 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
xcoffeex xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Nothing

ucdtim17
November 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Too many teams in the playoffs. 3/4 loss, 16th ranked teams have not earned the right to play for a national title

Guard Dawg
November 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I don't like the way they only seed the 4 teams. I thought it was much better when they were seeded 1-16. I understand why they did it at the time, but i personally don't think it saves a ton of money. I liked the match-ups that happened back then.

ucdtim17
November 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
And I should naturally add that zero-loss USD obviously has not earned a shot at a national championship either

Tod
November 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I don't like the way they only seed the 4 teams. I thought it was much better when they were seeded 1-16. I understand why they did it at the time, but i personally don't think it saves a ton of money. I liked the match-ups that happened back then.

I'd agree. I'd also like to see mandatory participation in the playoffs (alright, maybe mandatory is going too far, haven't thought about it). The Ivy League would add some prestige. The SWAC would add some great history and tradition.

Yeah, I know, the SWAC CAN participate, but I don't think I need to explain what I mean.

AggieFinn
November 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Not enough I-AA teams on the West Coast. :smiley_wi

Other than that, I like having playoffs, I like the drama of a selection committee (even though it has bearing on UC Davis this year), I like the smaller, more intimate atmosphere, I like the fans. What's not to like?

CCU97
November 14th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Get rid of the autobid conferences....Earn your spot based on your play...If you perform well you get in....if you stink it up and so does your conference you are out....no need for the AQ....most of the teams from the AQ would have made the playoffs anyway....

Tod
November 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Get rid of the autobid conferences....Earn your spot based on your play...If you perform well you get in....if you stink it up and so does your conference you are out....no need for the AQ....most of the teams from the AQ would have made the playoffs anyway....

Nah, I like the autobids. I think it encourages conference affiliation, and is a guaranteed reward for a conference champion, in most cases. :twocents:

tarmac
November 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Playoffs starting on Thanksgiving weekend.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I think we should have bowl games.............:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
1AA is good the way it is.

Retro
November 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well, since we will soon be called Championship SubDivision, i say let's make everyone in that division participate in the playoffs provided they are qualified..

Meaning, the Ivy's, swac and all other conferences that want to be considered part of the CS, have to commit to play in the playoffs each year... New autobids for the SWAC and Ivy would be started.. Any team or conference that doesn't not want to be included in this would be in a new Subdivision seperate from the CS...

The result would be a strong CS with consistency among members and playoff eligible teams.. Teams would be more inclined to schedule home and home with other CS teams for strength of schedule and more quality playoff eligible teams means better chance for increased attendance throughout the country.

Once it is established which teams will be part of the new CS, conferences work together to move a few teams to more geographically friendly conferences and to make sure all conferences have 8+ members, but no more than 12. You can also work on the requirements for post-season qualifying as in must have 7 CS wins and that is only waved if lack of teams meets it, regardless of other wins and losses..

The realignment and/or merging of some conferences in this new CS would allow previously ineligible teams to now have a shot at the playoffs with an autobid, but it may mean the end to some conferences like the Big South or NEC or at least some of their teams leaving to join other conferences for this goal

Also, All the conference commissioners need to get together and arrange better National and Regional TV packages to promote the product including 2 -3 games guaranteed each week on one national outet like a ESPNU, CSTV or even ABC or CBS...

Also, they should work with XM or Sirius to develop a weekly package of 2 - 3 games on one of those networks including CS teams, not including BS and CS playing each other...

There would be no requirement of a certain amount of scholarships for the CS, outside of the Limit... Meaning, if a team only gave 40 scholarships, but still was in a qualified conference, they would be ok.
:thumbsup:

No_Skill
November 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I'm liking the expanded TV coverage thing.

HensRock
November 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Start playoffs 1 week later and hold the Championship as a New Years Bowl-like game. Basically, playoffs in the 1st 3 Saturdays of Dec. then another week off before the Championship. This benefits the Championship series by:

A. Increasing 1st round attendance (1st round is notorious for low attendance due to Thanksgiving weekend travel etc.)

B. Allowing SWAC and other conferences which may have a conference championship game (or Bayou Classic) to participate in the playoffs with their best teams.

C. Gives fans more time to prepare for travel arrangements for both the first round and especially the championship game (only 6 days notice now to make arrangements for Chatty).

D. Increases Championship (I-AA) exposure by moving the Championship game into prime "Bowl Season" viewing time.

E. Alleviates some of the concerns with student-athletes studying for final exams etc. during the playoffs. (They'll have that extra week around Thanksgiviing.)

F. Reduces costs by allowing teams to make travel arrangements further in advance for 1st round games and for Championship game. Airline tickets are much cheaper with 2-weeks notice.

appfan2008
November 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Seed all 16 teams I see no reason for this to not already be done!

Torero Tradition
November 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah... get rid of the "regionalization"! I would find it more entertaining to watch one team you might never really get to see instead of the same teams you can usually count on playing in the playoffs.

Retro
November 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Start playoffs 1 week later and hold the Championship as a New Years Bowl-like game. Basically, playoffs in the 1st 3 Saturdays of Dec. then another week off before the Championship. This benefits the Championship series by:

A. Increasing 1st round attendance (1st round is notorious for low attendance due to Thanksgiving weekend travel etc.)

B. Allowing SWAC and other conferences which may have a conference championship game (or Bayou Classic) to participate in the playoffs with their best teams.

C. Gives fans more time to prepare for travel arrangements for both the first round and especially the championship game (only 6 days notice now to make arrangements for Chatty).

D. Increases Championship (I-AA) exposure by moving the Championship game into prime "Bowl Season" viewing time.

E. Alleviates some of the concerns with student-athletes studying for final exams etc. during the playoffs. (They'll have that extra week around Thanksgiviing.)

F. Reduces costs by allowing teams to make travel arrangements further in advance for 1st round games and for Championship game. Airline tickets are much cheaper with 2-weeks notice.

A. Would be good, but that's a lot of time off between 2 different games and no team would want a bye week last week of season. workable.

B. They can participate now, but the NCAA doesn't allow more than one postseason event for a team, so they have to eliminate the swac championship at least. SWAC needs to commit themselves one way or the other..

C. True, but i still think 99& of fans that want to go will have little trouble getting there or finding a place to stay.

D. Agreed as long as not competing againest another football game.

E. NO ISSUE.. They mention this all the time to some extent, even when discussing I-A playoffs, but it's not an issue for basketball. Students study when they feel like it no matter what and most will not study during thanksgiving, they will be with family, etc..

F. Maybe, but with all the travel sites giving discounted rates these day, i really don't see this as an issue for any fans seriously wanting to go.

65 Pard
November 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Doesn't happen as much in 1AA but a regular practice in 1-A

Kids who have no chance of graduating based on their academic profiles are recruited and given scholarships they do not deserve, then are discarded after eligibility is up....

henfan
November 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I have no problem with the Selection Committee assigning 16 artificial numbers (i.e.- seeds) to playoff participants, so long as prevailing financial and geographical considerations take precedent over highly subjective competitive evaluations. (Sarcasm filter off.) Seeding 16 teams without considering the financial realities of I-AA and the best interests of the student-athletes and fans is totally irresponsible and detrimental to the way the cost-containment D-I should be operating.

For example, why fly Lehigh to Missoula when they can take a bus ride to Amherst? Is it better for the LU players and their studies for them to make a flight when a busride would do? Is it more economically feasible for the NCAA and the member schools, whose home guarantees fund the playoff system? Is it advantageous for LU players' families and fans to have to fly across country when they could possibly drive to a road game? And, remind me, what exactly is the overwhelming competitive advantage driving this? IMO, seeding 16 teams according to artificially assigned competitive evaluations by a committee is possibly one of the worst things I-AA could do. Think about it.

The one thing I-AA schools and conferences need to do is to wake the hell up and realize we're all in this together- that goes for full equivalancy and low equivalancy leagues, HBCUs and Ivys. The subdivision needs to do a better job of sticking together, especially when it comes to matters of D-I goverance. We need to create an unified identity, rather than all going off with our own agendas. Strength in numbers. It's the only way we're ever going to be able to dictate to the NCAA the terms of our own postseason, marketing and sponsorship, media contracts, etc. Our own selfishness is by far the single biggest problem facing I-AA. By comparison, everything else is mere window dressing.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I think that not having requirements hurts I-AA BIG TIME. Schools like Montana, App, GSU, Delaware, Western Kentucky, etc. have more in common with Sun Belt, MAC, a few ACC schools, etc. than they do with Dayton, Duquesne, St. Peter's, etc. I think you should have to give at least 55 scholarships and average at least 4,000 a game.

With requirements it would make I-AA better because schools like San Diego who want to compete would go ahead and step it up and those like Iona, St. Peter's, etc., who are trying to get scholarships brought down, would drop down to D2. Heck, many schools in I-AA would lose to top 20 teams in D2. They might as well play in that division.

I also think there has to be a way to put more games on TV. Many voters are casting their ballot for the Payton Award and they have never seen Josh Johnson because they live on the east coast. Or you can look at it the other way around when some are voting for Ricky Santos and have never seen him because they are on the west coast.

I-AA has many good things about it but I believe you are going to see talent drop off because of the new transfer rule. Now when the Ben Patricks, Dustin Longs, etc. transfer down they will just go to D2.

It does seem like there is more parity now and I believe that is good, but I still miss having Marshall, Boise State, Troy, Nevada, etc. in I-AA. Most on here do not remember those days but I do and I miss those teams. It is funny that some schools in I-AA right now used to beat those schools and now people don't think any I-AA schools could beat them because of where they have come. I-AA has changed a lot, some for the good, but some for the bad IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Well, since we will soon be called Championship SubDivision, i say let's make everyone in that division participate in the playoffs provided they are qualified..

Meaning, the Ivy's, swac and all other conferences that want to be considered part of the CS, have to commit to play in the playoffs each year... New autobids for the SWAC and Ivy would be started.. Any team or conference that doesn't not want to be included in this would be in a new Subdivision seperate from the CS...

The result would be a strong CS with consistency among members and playoff eligible teams.. Teams would be more inclined to schedule home and home with other CS teams for strength of schedule and more quality playoff eligible teams means better chance for increased attendance throughout the country.

Once it is established which teams will be part of the new CS, conferences work together to move a few teams to more geographically friendly conferences and to make sure all conferences have 8+ members, but no more than 12. You can also work on the requirements for post-season qualifying as in must have 7 CS wins and that is only waved if lack of teams meets it, regardless of other wins and losses..

The realignment and/or merging of some conferences in this new CS would allow previously ineligible teams to now have a shot at the playoffs with an autobid, but it may mean the end to some conferences like the Big South or NEC or at least some of their teams leaving to join other conferences for this goal

Also, All the conference commissioners need to get together and arrange better National and Regional TV packages to promote the product including 2 -3 games guaranteed each week on one national outet like a ESPNU, CSTV or even ABC or CBS...

Also, they should work with XM or Sirius to develop a weekly package of 2 - 3 games on one of those networks including CS teams, not including BS and CS playing each other...

There would be no requirement of a certain amount of scholarships for the CS, outside of the Limit... Meaning, if a team only gave 40 scholarships, but still was in a qualified conference, they would be ok.

I agree with you on adding the SWAC, Ivy League, etc. I think everyone should be eligible. I personally think that if you are going to have a transition period you should not say that team is I-AA while doing it. It is a shame that North Dakota State can be ranked and all that but not play for a national title.

On scholarship requirements the problem with not having any is that the schools who move up just so they can be D-I will start whining again like they have been who do not give the full amount of scholarships so they can compete. If you are not going to give more than 40 scholarships but you want to play I-AA you better not complain about others giving too many and drop down to D2 if you are going to.

Hoss8091
November 16th, 2006, 12:23 AM
No one markets the playoffs properly. In basketball the elite eight came from Division II until the big boys stole it.

SDFan
November 16th, 2006, 12:40 AM
No Teams will really be dropping down unless they absolutely have to.

Remeber 1aa was founded in part due to basketball.

bkrownd
November 16th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Get rid of the autobid conferences....

My first change would be that playoff spots would only go to conference champions, so all conferences would have AQ's, and conference titles would have more meaning. Maybe 2-3 additional at-large spots maximum. Perhaps the top few seeds would get first round byes, while the smallest conferences would have a play-in round. Also, I'd set an 8-team size limit for conferences.

In lacrosse there was a lot of outrage from the Old Guard when they first granted "weak" conferences AQ's, but it does seem to have improved parity and helped strengthen the sport, and the tournament much more interesting now. The little guys get much more exposure now, and have something more to play for, whereas in the past they played invisibly in the shadows like the I-AA "mid-majors".

November 16th, 2006, 01:49 AM
What don't you like about I-AA football?
Well... it is short-shafted as a high level of college football.

What could make it better?
Media coverage of the type that understands that it is a wonderful and competitive brand of football. Media coverage that it is the top NCAA D-I championship level.

What do you think of the playoff system?
It's the best way to determine a champion.

Should it be expanded?
With current legislation, no. Less than 50 members met the criteria last year so 16 teams is enough.

Should teams be ranked who aren't playoff eligible?
Ranked how? The playoff selection committee doesn't rank them. Polls and the GPI etc. do but those aren't official.

Do you think the new moniker for the I-AA division will greatly benefit the teams in it?
Being named the CHAMPIONship Subdivision is something to rejoice over. It is finally labled correctly. It will benefit teams.

If you could fix one thing about this level of football... what would it be and why?
Eliminate tackling.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2006, 07:17 AM
"ELIMINATE TACKLIN'"...........BLUEHENS...STARTED DAT MOVEMENT...LAST SEASON........:(..BRAWK!

DB_Atlantic10
November 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I-AA has many good things about it but I believe you are going to see talent drop off because of the new transfer rule. Now when the Ben Patricks, Dustin Longs, etc. transfer down they will just go to D2.

I would have to disagree with you here.....this rule will only force players to make up their minds sooner... Although we will miss out on that rare Sr. transfer, usually QBs that gets beating out by some 5-Star freshman....but those are few and far in between.... But for the most part, players will be be in the DI-CS longer therefor causing even more parity throughout the league...

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Also, I'd set an 8-team size limit for conferences.
:confused: :confused: : smh : : smh : You're going to force conferences to kick out teams that are in the conference for all sports?!

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
WHAT AH DON'T LIKE:

WHEN UH TEAM FROM UH AQ CONFERENCE....WINS DAT PARTICULAR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP....WHIFF UH 6-5 OVERALL RECORD!.....AH BELIEVE MONTANA STATE DID THIS VERAH THING...FEW YEARS BACK......CURRENTLY IN DUH SOUFF-LAND....THERE IS POTENTIAL FO' DIS TA HAPPEN AGIN'........IFIN' MCNEESE STATE BEATS NICHOLLS STATE....DEY'LL BE...7-4...NO PROBLEM.....IFIN' MCNEESE STATE LOSES........DEY'LL BE 6-5.....AN' IFIN' SAM HOUSTON STATE LOSES.....DUH COWBOYS WOULD BE IN......WHIFF 6-5..................NOW DUH SOUFF-LAND CONFERENCE IS NO A-10.........AN' OURAH CONFERENCE LEADERS....EVERAH YEAR CAN RANGE FROM 11-0.....TA....10-1....TA....9-2....TA 8-3....GET DUH PICTURE?......AH'D PROPOSE...DAT...UH AQ CONFERENCE WHO CANNOT INTRODUCE UH CONFERENCE CHAMP AT UH OVERALL....7-4...O'...BETTERAH....SHOULD LOSE DUH AQ.........AN' UH MO' DESERVIN' TEAM FROM DUH RANKS...(AS DETERMINED BY COMMITTEE)....BE SELECTED TA...DANCE.....:twocents::.....BRAWK!

NOW YA'LL COULD ARGUE...DAT DUH POSSIBILITY O' GOIN' 6-0 IN CONFERENCE....SHOULD BE 'NUFF...FO' AQ STATUS...(IN UH SEVEN TEAM LEAGUE)......AH THINK....."FIVE" OUTTAHS......IS..UNACCEPTABLE!...:twocents:....... DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

NOT TA PICK ON DUH SOUFF-LAND....xsmoochx...BUT DUH SAME SCENARIO....EXISTS....IN DUH PATRIOT LEAGUE.......WHIFF LEHIGH...&...DUH...PARDS!....xsmoochx.........AWK!

wapiti
November 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I would like to see the playoff field expanded to 20 teams, and to find a way for a team like NDSU to be eligible. There would be 4 play-in games for the right to play at a top 4 seeded team. (Then a team like USD would most likely get beat in the play-in game, but have that chance to prove they do or do not belong.)

putter
November 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I have no problem with the Selection Committee assigning 16 artificial numbers (i.e.- seeds) to playoff participants, so long as prevailing financial and geographical considerations take precedent over highly subjective competitive evaluations. (Sarcasm filter off.) Seeding 16 teams without considering the financial realities of I-AA and the best interests of the student-athletes and fans is totally irresponsible and detrimental to the way the cost-containment D-I should be operating.

For example, why fly Lehigh to Missoula when they can take a bus ride to Amherst? Is it better for the LU players and their studies for them to make a flight when a busride would do? Is it more economically feasible for the NCAA and the member schools, whose home guarantees fund the playoff system? Is it advantageous for LU players' families and fans to have to fly across country when they could possibly drive to a road game? And, remind me, what exactly is the overwhelming competitive advantage driving this? IMO, seeding 16 teams according to artificially assigned competitive evaluations by a committee is possibly one of the worst things I-AA could do. Think about it.

The one thing I-AA schools and conferences need to do is to wake the hell up and realize we're all in this together- that goes for full equivalancy and low equivalancy leagues, HBCUs and Ivys. The subdivision needs to do a better job of sticking together, especially when it comes to matters of D-I goverance. We need to create an unified identity, rather than all going off with our own agendas. Strength in numbers. It's the only way we're ever going to be able to dictate to the NCAA the terms of our own postseason, marketing and sponsorship, media contracts, etc. Our own selfishness is by far the single biggest problem facing I-AA. By comparison, everything else is mere window dressing.

I think this is somewhat hypocritical. You shouldn't send Lehigh to Missoula when a busride could do. So why is it ok to send McNeese, Northwestern St etc. on a 4 hour flight to Missoula. Western teams are getting the short end of the stick because we have to fly for playoff games. IMO if a Southland team has to fly to Missoula or vice versa, then and eastern team can do the same.

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM
No one markets the playoffs properly.

The NCAA sponsors the tournament and they alone are responsible for marketing it. Of course, the organziation to a large degree is beholden to the interests of D-I conferences that bring in the most loot. This is not the CAA, Big Sky or SoCon, for example. If it isn't to the advantage of the major conferences, it's unlikely the NCAA will do much of anything to market a tournament that doesn't bring D-I considerable net revenue.

Maybe, just maybe, if I-AA conferences acted in consort for once, they might wield enough power within the NCAA to force the momentum in their own direction. Football isn't the only sport in which our schools complete.

Surely at these 110+ schools, there are financial and marketing minds that could put together a plan for a lucrative post-season operating outside of the auspices of NCAA direction. In my unlearned opinion, there's some potential for branding our level of play, complete with exclusive media contracts, enhanced playoffs & post-season, an all-star game, etc. The problem is trying to get everyone to work together. I just don't see that happening.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I would change the officiating squad in the SoCon. Maybe thats just me! :p

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I think this is somewhat hypocritical... why is it ok to send McNeese, Northwestern St etc. on a 4 hour flight to Missoula. Western teams are getting the short end of the stick because we have to fly for playoff games. IMO if a Southland team has to fly to Missoula or vice versa, then and eastern team can do the same.

I didn't say that Eastern teams shouldn't ever have to take flights West. I'm suggesting that teams should be (and always have been) bracketed with travel a major consideration, as much, if not more so, than subjective seedings. Every attempt should be made to limit travel for 1st Round games and this holds for every school. Every team has to fly into Missoula, so that's a bad example.

Seeding & bracketing 16 teams strictly on the basis of a subjective evaluation by a committee offers nothing in the way of making the playoffs more 'fair', as some people have suggested. In fact, if you completely ignore travel considerations and common sense concerns, you'd be seeing a lot more empty stadiums for playoff games and, ultimately, an even less profitable post-season. Thankfully, the NCAA and I-AA are smarter than that.

BTW, when was the last time Montana had to fly to a 1st Round Playoff Game?

putter
November 16th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I didn't say that Eastern teams shouldn't ever have to take flights West. I'm suggesting that teams should be (and always have been) bracketed with travel a major consideration, as much, if not more so, than subjective seedings. Every attempt should be made to limit travel for 1st Round games and this holds for every school.

Seeding & bracketing 16 teams strictly on the basis of a subjective evaluation by a committee offers nothing in the way of making the playoffs more 'fair', as some people have suggested. In fact, if you completely ignore travel considerations and common sense concerns, you'd be seeing a lot more empty stadiums for playoff games and, ultimately, an even less profitable post-season. Thankfully, the NCAA and I-AA are smarter than that.

I believe it was Western Illinois in 1997. And what a butt kicking that was. :o

P.S. --> I think you are correct about the NCAA. They are getting cheap when it comes to I-AA. How much money do they get from ESPN to televise these games now? Given that the semi-finals and NC last year had better ratings that 4 bowl games, they should be able to receive a nice stipend for the NCAA to cover any travel costs.

Retro
November 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
WHAT AH DON'T LIKE:

WHEN UH TEAM FROM UH AQ CONFERENCE....WINS DAT PARTICULAR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP....WHIFF UH 6-5 OVERALL RECORD!.....AH BELIEVE MONTANA STATE DID THIS VERAH THING...FEW YEARS BACK......CURRENTLY IN DUH SOUFF-LAND....THERE IS POTENTIAL FO' DIS TA HAPPEN AGIN'........IFIN' MCNEESE STATE BEATS NICHOLLS STATE....DEY'LL BE...7-4...NO PROBLEM.....IFIN' MCNEESE STATE LOSES........DEY'LL BE 6-5.....AN' IFIN' SAM HOUSTON STATE LOSES.....DUH COWBOYS WOULD BE IN......WHIFF 6-5..................NOW DUH SOUFF-LAND CONFERENCE IS NO A-10.........AN' OURAH CONFERENCE LEADERS....EVERAH YEAR CAN RANGE FROM 11-0.....TA....10-1....TA....9-2....TA 8-3....GET DUH PICTURE?......AH'D PROPOSE...DAT...UH AQ CONFERENCE WHO CANNOT INTRODUCE UH CONFERENCE CHAMP AT UH OVERALL....7-4...O'...BETTERAH....SHOULD LOSE DUH AQ.........AN' UH MO' DESERVIN' TEAM FROM DUH RANKS...(AS DETERMINED BY COMMITTEE)....BE SELECTED TA...DANCE.....:twocents::.....BRAWK!

NOW YA'LL COULD ARGUE...DAT DUH POSSIBILITY O' GOIN' 6-0 IN CONFERENCE....SHOULD BE 'NUFF...FO' AQ STATUS...(IN UH SEVEN TEAM LEAGUE)......AH THINK....."FIVE" OUTTAHS......IS..UNACCEPTABLE!...:twocents:....... DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

NOT TA PICK ON DUH SOUFF-LAND....xsmoochx...BUT DUH SAME SCENARIO....EXISTS....IN DUH PATRIOT LEAGUE.......WHIFF LEHIGH...&...DUH...PARDS!....xsmoochx.........AWK!

Well, the SLC only has 7 football playing members, so we have to schedule more out of conference games, which means more I-A games sometimes like NWST did this season... Delaware themselves said they won't schedule home and home with other I-AA's, so that doesn't say much for their conference quality if they're afraid to test it..

If we had 10 members, we'd only have to schedule 2 OOC games and we'd likely have 2-3 bottom feeders like the A-10 does each year.. In the SLC, the competition is more equal but no more less quality.. Yes it is a down year out of conference this year, but with UCA coming in next year, we help the scheduling a bit...

Retro
November 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I didn't say that Eastern teams shouldn't ever have to take flights West. I'm suggesting that teams should be (and always have been) bracketed with travel a major consideration, as much, if not more so, than subjective seedings. Every attempt should be made to limit travel for 1st Round games and this holds for every school.

I believe it was Western Illinois in 1997. And what a butt kicking that was. :o

P.S. --> I think you are correct about the NCAA. They are getting cheap when it comes to I-AA. How much money do they get from ESPN to televise these games now? Given that the semi-finals and NC last year had better ratings that 4 bowl games, they should be able to receive a nice stipend for the NCAA to cover any travel costs.

The NCAA waste money by sending some 20+ officials to each game (not the ones on the field) to monitor every little thing and then they don't even let the schools sell their own merchandise within the stadium. The NCAA needs to be investigated in my opinion, because they don't do anything but try to enhance their own power.. THey should do more to help schools make money while at the same time run an effecient and competitive playoff system..

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Delaware themselves said they won't schedule home and home with other I-AA's, so that doesn't say much for their conference quality if they're afraid to test it...

I don't recall UD ever suggesting that they won't schedule home-home series with other I-AAs. In fact, UD has scheduled home-home deals with in the last decade with Georgia Southern, Lehigh, Youngstown St., and the Citadel and has Furman, SDSU and UPenn on future schedules, as well as road games against Maryland and Navy.

As a I-AA fan, I'd like to see the Hens play more interdivisional home-home games, but understand the financial realities of I-AA football. Home-home games are revenue neutral. Top I-AA draws like UD make money off of home games and I-A road games.

Besides, it's not as if the A-10 FB league is chopped liver. UD is tested plenty by teams within the conference. As has been proven in recent years by no less than 3 different A-10 teams, if you survive the A-10 gauntlet, you have an excellent chance at competiting favorably against teams nationally for the championship.

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
How much money do they get from ESPN to televise these games now? Given that the semi-finals and NC last year had better ratings that 4 bowl games, they should be able to receive a nice stipend for the NCAA to cover any travel costs.

The NCAA makes nothing off the ESPN deal for I-AA football. In fact, it costs I-AA money to produce those broadcasts. Since they are included as part of the NCAA's overall, all sports deal with ESPN, the rates are probably very favorable.

The NCAA has increased support for the I-AA post-season. Understand though that it's largely funded by the guarantees paid out by host schools. If schools are offering higher guarantees, there is more money in the kitty to fund the post-season. That's why it always advantageous to have schools with great fan support in the post-season.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Well, the SLC only has 7 football playing members, so we have to schedule more out of conference games, which means more I-A games sometimes like NWST did this season... Delaware themselves said they won't schedule home and home with other I-AA's, so that doesn't say much for their conference quality if they're afraid to test it..

If we had 10 members, we'd only have to schedule 2 OOC games and we'd likely have 2-3 bottom feeders like the A-10 does each year.. In the SLC, the competition is more equal but no more less quality.. Yes it is a down year out of conference this year, but with UCA coming in next year, we help the scheduling a bit...

AH UNDERSTANDAH YER NEED TA SKED 5 OOC's.......ANYMO' DAN ONE D-IA...IS GREEDY......(PER PORTLAND STATE).......DELAWARE IS MONTANA EAST....AS HENFAN WROTE....WE HAVE HAD H&H's AGIN'....'GUINS......EAGLES.......FURMAN IN FUTURE....CITADEL.......NAVY....(DOUGH DIS MEETIN' HAS B/COME AT NAVY ONLY).....WHIFF IN UH 100 MILE RADIUS O' NEWARK......TONS O' SQWADS TA CHOOSE FROM!....AN' IN MANY CASES HAVE SKEDED.....A-10 TEAMS AS OOC'S......HOFSTRA & NEW HAMPSHIRE.......:rotateh:.....BRAWK!

LEAST OURAH WEST CHESTER MADE DUH D-II PLAYOFFS.....WHERE'S FORT LEWIS...&...WEST VIRGINIA TECH?.................:confused: .........AWK!

AH WASN'T SMACKIN'......JES' ANSWERIN' DUH PROPOSED QUESTION...............;) ...BRAWK!

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM
1. Needs more cowbell!
2. I'd like to be able to watch more game video (TV or internet)

Retro
November 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM
AH UNDERSTANDAH YER NEED TA SKED 5 OOC's.......ANYMO' DAN ONE D-IA...IS GREEDY......(PER PORTLAND STATE).......DELAWARE IS MONTANA EAST....AS HENFAN WROTE....WE HAVE HAD H&H's AGIN'....'GUINS......EAGLES.......FURMAN IN FUTURE....CITADEL.......NAVY....(DOUGH DIS MEETIN' HAS B/COME AT NAVY ONLY).....WHIFF IN UH 100 MILE RADIUS O' NEWARK......TONS O' SQWADS TA CHOOSE FROM!....AN' IN MANY CASES HAVE SKEDED.....A-10 TEAMS AS OOC'S......HOFSTRA & NEW HAMPSHIRE.......:rotateh:.....BRAWK!

LEAST OURAH WEST CHESTER MADE DUH D-II PLAYOFFS.....WHERE'S FORT LEWIS...&...WEST VIRGINIA TECH?.................:confused: .........AWK!

AH WASN'T SMACKIN'......JES' ANSWERIN' DUH PROPOSED QUESTION...............;) ...BRAWK!

Sometimes we unfortunately have to schedule more than one I-A or a lower division like WVtech, because we can't strike a deal with other I-AA.. I know Mcneese and and at the most, we'd prefere one I-A per year and 1 lower division per year.. WVTech was knocked down to NAIA from the NCAA for some violations after we already scheduled them, so we didn't want to not honor our contract, which we could have backed out of to play UL-L, a much more attractive game albeit on the road...

Here's something to consider when looking at the SLC this season...

BELOW FROM DALLASDEMON FROM THE NW BOARD. GREAT POST (FOR A DEMON)

I did some research a while back and the Southland by far played the toughest schedule against I-As. We played the most I-As, the most BCS schools, and the most per capita. No wonder our records suffered. Here's the facts:

Southland (7 members), 15 I-A games, 9 BCS schools, Avg 2.14/I-A, 1.29/BCS
Big Sky (9 members), 13 I-A games, 7 BCS schools, Avg 1.44/I-A, .78/BCS
Gateway (8 members), 9 I-A games, 8 BCS schools, Avg 1.13/I-A, 1.0/BCS
Atlantic 10 (12 members), 9 I-A games, 6 BCS schools, Avg .75/I-A, .5/BCS
Ohio Valley (9 members), 8 I-A games, 5 BCS schools, Avg .89/I-A, .56/BCS
Southern (8 members), 7 I-A games, 6 BCS schools, Avg .88/I-A, .75/BCS
Great West (5 members), 5 I-A games, 1 BCS school, Avg 1.0/I-A, .2/BCS
SWAC (10 members), 4 I-A games, 0 BCS schools, Avg .4/I-A, 0/BCS
MEAC (9 members), 3 I-A games, 2 BCS schools, Avg .33/I-A, .22/BCS
Big South (5 members), 1 I-A games, 0 BCS schools, Avg .2/I-A, 0/BCS
Ivy League (8 members), 0 I-A games, 0 BCS schools, Avg 0/I-A, 0/BCS
Patriot (7 members), 0 I-A games, 0 BCS schools, Avg 0/I-A, 0/BCS
Northeast, MAA, Pioneer 0 I-A games, Avg 0/I-A, 0/BCS

Now the good ole NCAA has statistics for the "Toughest I-AA schedules". Last time I checked mid-season, the Southland had 7 of the bottom 9 slots in all of I-AA! The NCAA goes by won-loss and does not consider who the teams played to get those wins and losses. Let the Atlantic 10, the Southern, the Gateway, or any other I-AA conference play our schedules this year and I would suspect they would have similar losses across the board in like fashion.

kats89
November 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
My only problem with the playoff system is the bidding process of getting home games. There should be a playoff bracket with seeds 1-16, like March madness, and let them play it out. I dont think that it should be the program with the most money getting the home game, especially if they have the lesser record.

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Let the Atlantic 10, the Southern, the Gateway, or any other I-AA conference play our schedules this year and I would suspect they would have similar losses across the board in like fashion.

I'd suspect they would too, however, there's no need for most of the A-10, SoCon or Gateway teams to play so many I-A games against BCS competition.

If the object is to compete in I-AA, make the playoffs and win the championship, playing multiple I-A games is just not very smart. Then again, given the size of the SLC (minus UCA), the availability of I-A programs in the region and the amount of guarantees paid out, it's understandable why they'd be inclined do it more than teams from other conferences.

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
My only problem with the playoff system is the bidding process of getting home games. There should be a playoff bracket with seeds 1-16, like March madness, and let them play it out. I dont think that it should be the program with the most money getting the home game, especially if they have the lesser record.

You'll have to come up with a financial plan that would work then, if you're going to give home games to teams whose gate receipts don't manage to cover the amount of guarantees they've paid out.

The comparison to the MBB & WBB tournaments seeding is not at all relevant, as those games are played at neutral locations and those tournaments are funded by huge media contracts. With I-AA FB, seeding 16 teams would require financial determinations based on artificial competitive rankings. That's just not very smart. As well, the subdivison is paying for games to be televised. Why would I-AA not want to portray this level of play in the best possible light by having games played in locations where the chance for a sell out or near sell out is greatest?

JohnStOnge
November 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Ideally, I'd like for every I-AA (in he future whatever the other name is) conference champ to get an automatic bid. Decide on what the criteria for I-AA are going to be then, if a league meets those criteria, the champ is in. I guess go ahead and say there has to be some minimum number of teams in the league...but otherwise...every champ gets in.

It may be necessary to expand the field to do that. My preference is a 24 team tournament with all teams seeded and the top 8 getting a first round bye.

For at large bids, I'd like to see the elimination of the selection committee in favor of an objective mathematical system selected prior to the season. Everybody's performance goes into the system and the system spits out who the at large bids are.

BisBison
November 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Too many conferences not participating in the playoffs. (SWAC- IVY etc)
Not enough TV coverage
Not enough $$ for the playoff games

November 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ideally, I'd like for every I-AA (in he future whatever the other name is)...The future is this Sunday when the NCAA Division I Football Championship starts with a 16 team bracket. I-AA will officially be done and the CS (D-I Football Championship Subdivision) begins.

Kill'em
November 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Change THE Championship Game back to Saturday afternoon!

JDC325
November 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I think that not having requirements hurts I-AA BIG TIME. Schools like Montana, App, GSU, Delaware, Western Kentucky, etc. have more in common with Sun Belt, MAC, a few ACC schools, etc. than they do with Dayton, Duquesne, St. Peter's, etc. I think you should have to give at least 55 scholarships and average at least 4,000 a game.
With requirements it would make I-AA better because schools like San Diego who want to compete would go ahead and step it up and those like Iona, St. Peter's, etc., who are trying to get scholarships brought down, would drop down to D2. Heck, many schools in I-AA would lose to top 20 teams in D2. They might as well play in that division.

I also think there has to be a way to put more games on TV. Many voters are casting their ballot for the Payton Award and they have never seen Josh Johnson because they live on the east coast. Or you can look at it the other way around when some are voting for Ricky Santos and have never seen him because they are on the west coast.

It does seem like there is more parity now and I believe that is good, but I still miss having Marshall, Boise State, Troy, Nevada, etc. in I-AA. Most on here do not remember those days but I do and I miss those teams. It is funny that some schools in I-AA right now used to beat those schools and now people don't think any I-AA schools could beat them because of where they have come. I-AA has changed a lot, some for the good, but some for the bad IMO.

Totally agree. I cant understand not having standards in 1-AA make low if you want just have some. You should not be in 1-AA without scholarships. Those teams have no shot in making the playoffs ever so why are'nt they in Div II where atleast they could play for a national title?

CaBisonFan
November 16th, 2006, 11:17 PM
A lot of the uniforms are ugly. They look second-rate. The 'image' lacks for something. The playoffs are great. Can't wait until we get through our 5 years of pergatory. Seems like most programs didn't have to do it. Florida Atlantic got in after about two years because....? North Dakota State is in the division....thusly, they are rated. If we should play a strong final game against South Dakota State....we will be ranked in the top 3....justifiably. Sorry to spoil the party....but we could end up #1 in a poll or two. We're #3 in the GPI and #2 in Sagarin.

The Great West Conference has been rated the strongest conference in I-AA a good part of the year, but we'll be at home watching...unjustifiably. Moving up to DI-AA hasn't been as big a change on the field as anticipated. Depth is the biggest difference.

So being a former resident of Great Falls, Montana....I say....

....GO GRIZ !!!!!

CaBisonFan
November 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Totally agree. I cant understand not having standards in 1-AA make low if you want just have some. You should not be in 1-AA without scholarships. Those teams have no shot in making the playoffs ever so why are'nt they in Div II where atleast they could play for a national title?

I'm with you on this. But leave it to the NCAA to screw up DI-AA. They did the same thing to DII. The have-not schools eventually outnumbered the bigger programs and voted to lower the scholarship levels. At North Dakota State we get 10 to 15 thousand a game even when most of the games are pretty meaningless at this point. This weekend we'll have over 19,000....easily. Teams that can't get people and funding should be forced to drop to DII. Teams that display big numbers should be rewarded....not punished. I remember playing Troy in the DII national championship game in the 80s. They beat us with a 50-something yard field goal in the final seconds. We're hoping to get into the Gateway so that we have more meaningful home games and a chance at an auto bid. We like playing in the Great West though. Like one person wrote, we need more western and central teams.

CaBisonFan
November 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM
What don't you like about I-AA football? What could make it better? What do you think of the playoff system? Should it be expanded? Should teams be ranked who aren't playoff eligible? Do you think the new moniker for the I-AA division will greatly benefit the teams in it?

Fire away....

High caliber of football. Ugly uniforms over-all. It doesn't help the marketing. They look very 'small-college.' Put a national championship game at a neutral site in a warm climate with a medium-sized stadium. Not sure where that would be. Give it a bowl game name. Hype it. Let powerful DII programs with a proven record of high attendance, financing, and a high caliber of play into the playoff run in a year or two....at the most. Make the small-timers that have to pay people to attend go down to DII. Bring some of the lower-tier DI-A programs back to DI-AA based upon similar standards.

blur2005
November 17th, 2006, 01:31 AM
First and foremost, I'd try to get the Ivy and SWAC to get their champion in the playoffs and at-larges if necessary. That can only help I-AA football. Give the SWAC and Ivy champ an auto-bid and increase the playoff size to either 20 or 24, depending on a couple things - 1) All Patriot League members get up to the level of equivalencies that Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate have and 2)the anticipated split of the CAA once ODU joins...so don't expand until at least one of these things occurs along with the SWAC and Ivies joining up. I'd also get the NCAA to change that rule on what qualifies as a playoff because if the ACC, Big XII, SEC, CUSA, and MAC can play championship games and then go to bowl games, the SWAC ought to be able to play its championship game and then participate in the I-AA playoffs. This could allow big conferences like the A-10/CAA to play a championship game as well, though that may not be necessary.

Secondly, I'd try to force the issue on some of the I-AA schools that are at the bottom of the heap and create, if necessay, I-AAA (though I know with the name change that wouldn't work, but whatever, you get my point). This way, the lowest level schools that are D-I in all sports remain D-I but don't count as I-AA. This would also force San Diego to perhaps jump into the Great West or something, perhaps helping to save that conference with the possibility of NDSU and maybe SDSU heading to the Missouri Valley and therefore the Gateway. Other moves I'd like to make - have Sacramento State join the Great West as well, as it would work well I think with Sac State joining the Big West for all other sports, where it'd join all the Cal- or Cal-State somethings.

Third, I'd make the season a week longer, with no games on Thanksgiving weekend besides the SWAC title game. Also, the title game will be played on Saturday afternoon, not Friday night.

Fourth, I'd try to get all the schools to work on p.r. as a division. This topic has been covered by others so I won't elaborate.

Fifth, I'd have the number of years a school spends as a provisional I-AA be more flexible. After three years as a provisional, a school can assess it's situation and with a league vote can be admitted as a full member of the conference and I-AA. So for schools like NDSU and UC Davis that are evidently ready, they wouldn't have to wait so long.

UMass922
November 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM
CaBisonFan, what "ugly uniforms" do you have in mind? On the whole, I don't see much of a difference between I-A and I-AA uniforms.

UMass922
November 17th, 2006, 02:32 AM
blur2005, I like your vision for I-AA. I agree with everything you wrote.

Keeper
November 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Agree with henfan for the most part.
Me thinks we will see major NCAA re-classification
before the CS comes together in working harmony.

Here's the problem: You reside in Division I, want
D-I respect, but don't have the finances/revenues
to compete with the mega-schools, or don't wish to.
Even inside BCS conferences there are wide competition
gaps. The differences between sponsored sports
is just as vast regards needs and interest.

College football programs should be allowed to compete
at their own level, and to seek their rewards however
possible. From 700+ teams you have a number of champions.
Who cares what numeral is affixed to that trophy.
Just win baby. The tournament is what it's all about.
CS D2 D3 NAIA all are proud of their accomplishments.
The BS is what it is and will never change, maybe a
four-team playoff in the distant future.
Currently I-AA/CS has a tournament that works.
Sure it needs greater exposure. Does the NCAA have an
outside marketing advisor? If not, then get one.

Then the question is, how much is fair to spend on each of
the divisions? Funny how everything seems to come to a
matter of money, even the purity of playing non-scholarship.

Enjoy and embrace the tournament. At the 63 scholly level,
it's the best thing you've got. It could be bigger and better,
but beware, how much bigger is better?

GtFllsGriz
November 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
1: All I-AA teams must commit to playing in the playoffs if invited.

2: Playoff teams are seeded 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

3: The national championship game is promoted as part of the bowl games

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
High caliber of football. Ugly uniforms over-all. It doesn't help the marketing. They look very 'small-college.' Put a national championship game at a neutral site in a warm climate with a medium-sized stadium. Not sure where that would be. Give it a bowl game name. Hype it. Let powerful DII programs with a proven record of high attendance, financing, and a high caliber of play into the playoff run in a year or two....at the most. Make the small-timers that have to pay people to attend go down to DII. Bring some of the lower-tier DI-A programs back to DI-AA based upon similar standards.

All those things would be a nightmare for AD's and athletic programs alotting money and all......

Jacks76
November 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I-AA needs upwards of 32 teams in the playoffs...all the Top 25 ranked teams, plus 7 others for a total of 32. There are presently NOT ENOUGH teams in the field to make it fair.

Paul

November 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I-AA needs upwards of 32 teams in the playoffs...all the Top 25 ranked teams, plus 7 others for a total of 32. There are presently NOT ENOUGH teams in the field to make it fair.
PaulSo let's say there 30-40 teams eligible, pretty much all should be in it?

No. This is not BS, this is CS.

CaBisonFan
November 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM
CaBisonFan, what "ugly uniforms" do you have in mind? On the whole, I don't see much of a difference between I-A and I-AA uniforms.

Montana - not bad, but lacks color balance, tough colors to work with
Georgia Southern - average...blah
Cal Poly - average....boring
UC Davis - slightly better....but not by much
Montana State - whoa....needs help
Stephen F. Austin - so, so
Weber State - average, at best
North Dakota State - good attempt at modernizing, but out of balance color-wise.....average
South Dakota State - cheesy...cute

I can't think of one uniform that cuts it. Most schools have either gone too modern (and failed) or stayed with an old look that's incredibly boring.

It's an image problem. Just my opinion.

UMass922
November 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Most schools have either gone too modern (and failed) or stayed with an old look that's incredibly boring.

Man, you're picky. In any case, I don't see how the flaws you find with I-AA uniforms make them "second rate," since I-A uniforms (from Alabama's to Oregon's) run the same gamut and are subject to the exact same critique. Are Penn State's uniforms too "small college" for you, too?

Kill'em
November 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM
North Dakota State - good attempt at modernizing, but out of balance color-wise.....average

I can't think of one uniform that cuts it. Most schools have either gone too modern (and failed) or stayed with an old look that's incredibly boring.

Sorry to upset the fashion police. I, personally love our "plain, boring" uniforms. Actually, I want to go back to the gray facemasks. Keep the numbers on the helmets and all the fancy crap off the jerseys and the pants!

SoCon48
November 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Paul

What and have a 5 or 6 game play-off series? Are you serious?
Teams have all season to prove themselves.

Appstate29
November 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I'd actually rather see the field cut down then added to, but I think 16 is just right.

SoCon48
November 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'd actually rather see the field cut down then added to, but I think 16 is just right.
Agree. Would consider 8 so as to make 3 games instead of 4. Thus wait a week after Thanksgiving. Students back at school.

Kill'em
November 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think 16 is a fair number.

DetroitFlyer
November 18th, 2006, 04:46 PM
to express my thoughts....

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
to express my thoughts....

don't bother, we already know what they will be. Just give me your password, and I'll post for you. Nobody would know the difference:rolleyes:

Toppermaniac
November 18th, 2006, 06:26 PM
The teams should be seeded 1 through 16 and home games should be awarded to the higher seeded team, not based on $. It actually makes the 1-AA Champion very suspect in my opinion. Schools simply are allowed to buy home games and that simply isn't the best way to determine a champion.

griz8791
November 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I disagree. To me the GSU uniform says, "no bull*****, just football."

bonarae
November 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM
16 teams is just right... I hope the Ivies will finally get the OK from the presidents so they could participate... THEY ARE BADLY NEEDED IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

fencer24
November 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM
The best thing about the Championship series was when SIU was ranked and seeded number 1, and the 16th seed, EWU beat them.
Ohio State will have to wait for the computers, coaches and sports reporters decide who they will play. In the CS, you have to prove it on the field.

blukeys
November 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
The best thing about the Championship series was when SIU was ranked and seeded number 1, and the 16th seed, EWU beat them.
Ohio State will have to wait for the computers, coaches and sports reporters decide who they will play. In the CS, you have to prove it on the field.

Well said, Welcome to the board Fencer!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Kill'em
November 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM
The fact that Georgia Southern is no longer a powerhouse.

rufus
November 19th, 2006, 08:23 AM
- Allow up to 85 scholarships, to allow teams to be more competitive with I-As. This has become more important with more inter-subdivisional games being played thanks to the 12 game season in I-A.

- Require a scholarship minimum (50+).

- Allow teams to play football in different divisions than other sports. Non-scholarship teams could move football back to DIII, and low scholarship teams could play in DII.

- Seed eight teams (the middle ground between seeding four and seeding all).

- Start the playoffs a week later.

- Move the championship game to a Saturday in late December/early January.

- Keep the name "I-AA".

Bulldogger
November 25th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Hi guys...new here. Looks like a great place!

I saw someone mention the SWAC and their absence from the I-AA playoffs. Understanding the theme of unity and a standard agenda, one can't help but notice that over 50,000 fans were in the Superdome watching Grambling State and Southern in the Bayou Classic. That NBC telecast probably made more money for those two schools and the SWAC than a I-A money game.

With that game being played after Thanksgiving (and eliminating Grambling State and Southern from playoff consideration), I think the best way to tie those two in would be to either exempt the SWAC title game and allow the winner an automatic berth or to maintain the status quo and leave 'em be. I don't think it's fair to just drop what works for your program without at least a little consideration from the NCAA.

I'm a Louisiana Tech alumnus (1973 Div II national champion and 1984 Div I-AA runners up [damn you, Montana! xlolx ]), and I think that it'd be better to re-establish rivalries with Northwestern State and Louisiana-Monroe than to have your nearest I-A rival over 900 miles away as a member of the WAC. No one can convince me that Grambling-Louisiana Tech (less than ten miles away from each other) can't fill up a 30,000-seat stadium. Hell, you'd need to open the basketball arena to handle the overflow. But since La Tech is looking at that I-A athletic budget, they don't schedule I-AA opponents anymore. And I think that is a real shame that the current system makes this necessary.

But back to the original thought...I think that requirements are indeed necessary in I-AA. Either provide x number of full scholarships or head down to Div II. Want to be I-A? Give 85 scholarships and average 15,000 paid attendance. Simple as that. I think the same mindset should be present in the "Championship Series."

Again, great site here!

Kill'em
November 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Welcome to AGS, Bulldogger!

Retro
November 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hi guys...new here. Looks like a great place!

I saw someone mention the SWAC and their absence from the I-AA playoffs. Understanding the theme of unity and a standard agenda, one can't help but notice that over 50,000 fans were in the Superdome watching Grambling State and Southern in the Bayou Classic. That NBC telecast probably made more money for those two schools and the SWAC than a I-A money game.

With that game being played after Thanksgiving (and eliminating Grambling State and Southern from playoff consideration), I think the best way to tie those two in would be to either exempt the SWAC title game and allow the winner an automatic berth or to maintain the status quo and leave 'em be. I don't think it's fair to just drop what works for your program without at least a little consideration from the NCAA.

I'm a Louisiana Tech alumnus (1973 Div II national champion and 1984 Div I-AA runners up [damn you, Montana! xlolx ]), and I think that it'd be better to re-establish rivalries with Northwestern State and Louisiana-Monroe than to have your nearest I-A rival over 900 miles away as a member of the WAC. No one can convince me that Grambling-Louisiana Tech (less than ten miles away from each other) can't fill up a 30,000-seat stadium. Hell, you'd need to open the basketball arena to handle the overflow. But since La Tech is looking at that I-A athletic budget, they don't schedule I-AA opponents anymore. And I think that is a real shame that the current system makes this necessary.

But back to the original thought...I think that requirements are indeed necessary in I-AA. Either provide x number of full scholarships or head down to Div II. Want to be I-A? Give 85 scholarships and average 15,000 paid attendance. Simple as that. I think the same mindset should be present in the "Championship Series."

Again, great site here!

The NCAA doesn't enforce the I-A 15,000 rule as it is and it's waterdowned anyway

The NCAA CS shouldn't bend over backwards for just 2 teams.. They have stated over and over they don't care about the playoffs, yet i'm sure the rest of the SWAC would especially this year, but it's not going to happen, because their focus is money.. One thing you don't realize is the bayou classic keeps those 2 programs afloat.. They are basically financially in the red without that game..

Grambling doesn't even sell out their own stadium.. They draw big for the classics in the big cities, but that's it...
La Tech doesn't draw well either, so unless both teams are coming off big years, you'd be lucky to get 20,000 in either stadium.. What did Tech have last night - 2,000 people?
Btw, Tech should get out of the WAC and face reality and join the sun belt and retstore some old rivalries with UL-M and UL-L. The travel costs alone are killing your program... That will help your attendance and your bottom line and then schedule another old rival - mcneese state..

Mcneese was bring more fans to ruston than any other school.

App Storm
November 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM

True. Sending poor Furman out to Montana State was torture. The NCAA's rules for field neutrality is stupid. Why even bother seeding at all if they want to eliminate home field advantage.

BALD EAGLE
November 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaBisonFan

After the season Ga. Southern had, I have to defend our uniforms. I love our uniforms and would not change anything about them.

Bulldogger
November 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Well I was kinda agreeing with you there, Retro.

Never said the NCAA should bend over backwards for two teams; just was providing a realistic view of the situation.

One thing you don't realize is the bayou classic keeps those 2 programs afloat.. They are basically financially in the red without that game.

Uhh...I said that the game probably brings in more money than each of them playing a I-A game. I realize the financial ramifications of the game very well.

because their focus is money.

Which is why they shun the I-AA playoffs for their own conference championship and the Bayou Classic. They have said they don't care about the playoffs because they used to have the Heritage Bowl, and they have the Sheridan poll for HBCUs, which carries more weight in their circles than the playoffs. Half the time, you don't go to an HBCU football game to see football; you go to see the band or the dancers. ;)

Grambling doesn't even sell out their own stadium.. They draw big for the classics in the big cities, but that's it.

And that draw is enough to pay the bills.

La Tech doesn't draw well either, so unless both teams are coming off big years, you'd be lucky to get 20,000 in either stadium.. What did Tech have last night - 2,000 people?

Which is why I said that we need to re-establish our state rivalries and quit worrying about being in a I-A conference. The only reason La Tech joined the WAC was because as an independent, they were tired of going 9-2 and 8-3 and 7-4 and having 6-5 Notre Dame knock them out of being selected for a bowl game every year. Only reason they joined the WAC is because of the bowl tie-in. Who cares if it's the Humanitarian Bowl? It beats sitting at home with a 9-2 record like Tim Rattay did.

Tech should get out of the WAC and face reality and join the sun belt and retstore some old rivalries with UL-M and UL-L.

Never disagreed there, dude. If anything, the Sun Belt would help the program at this point since Conference USA shunned La Tech. The WAC only has multiple bowl tie-ins because they own the bowls, and you can rest assured that the Humanitarian is picking Boise State if they don't make a BCS bowl and the Hawaii Bowl will pick the Warriors every time.

November 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
... The only reason La Tech...La Tech still has a football team? They should get in D-I and play for the CS! :nod: