PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Bearkats94
December 19th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Has there ever been a unseat team make it this far or go to the national championship game?

clenz
December 19th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Has there ever been a unseat team make it this far or go to the national championship game?
Seeding only started in 2010...

not hard to find the answer I'd assume

FWIW, I'd doubt UNI would have been considered a seed in 05 as they played on the road at #1 ranked UNH and at #3 Texas State

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM
JMU played all road games in 2004 I believe.

Catbooster
December 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I don't know, but would guess JMU since they were on the road for every game when they won.

Edit: damn you were quicker than me!

jmufan999
December 19th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I don't know, but would guess JMU since they were on the road for every game when they won.

Edit: damn you were quicker than me!

correct.

so for SHSU fans, the only record you could gain would be "most postseason wins in a single season" if you win the national title. i believe no one has ever won 5 tournament games.

but no, the all-road-all-the-time record is ours. xnodx

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2014, 02:30 PM

UNH last year was unseeded and made it to the Semi's. Not sure about anyone making it to an NC though.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM
UNH last year was unseeded and made it to the Semi's. Not sure about anyone making it to an NC though.

You mean other than the fact it's been said JMU won the NC a couple times ahead of you there? xlolx

NDB
December 19th, 2014, 02:48 PM
UNH last year was unseeded and made it to the Semi's.

How did that turn out?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Seeding only started in 2010...

not hard to find the answer I'd assume

FWIW, I'd doubt UNI would have been considered a seed in 05 as they played on the road at #1 ranked UNH and at #3 Texas State
Seeding began in 2010? I don't think so clenzy. It was around in the early 2000's and possibly prior to that but I don't remember specifically.

blueballs
December 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM
UMASS won 3 road games and the neutral site title game in Chatty in 1998, I'm pretty sure JMU did the same in 2004.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM
You mean other than the fact it's been said JMU won the NC a couple times ahead of you there? xlolx

Pshh who has time to read previous posts before responding?? :p I prefer the post and pray method!

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Pshh who has time to read previous posts before responding?? :p I prefer the post and pray method!

If you've seen much of my posting you will notice it is much the same way but mine always comes on a page turn...yours were just, well, right there. xlolx

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2014, 03:32 PM
If you've seen much of my posting you will notice it is much the same way but mine always comes on a page turn...yours were just, well, right there. xlolx

I prefer the "post and.....yeah, well **** you" method :D

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I prefer the "post and.....yeah, well **** you" method :D

It's a good one.

Hammerhead
December 19th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Was there always 4 seeds when there were 16 teams in the playoffs? I think a 5th seed was added as the field expanded to 20 teams and now we have 8 seeds with the 24-team playoff.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Was there always 4 seeds when there were 16 teams in the playoffs? I think a 5th seed was added as the field expanded to 20 teams and now we have 8 seeds with the 24-team playoff.

Yes on all counts. Except that I don't know how far for sure the four seeds went back but it is far prior to 2010 from what I recall. I think after 9/11 things changed and that may have been around the time the seeds came about and things became more outwardly regional getting to the NC.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Looks like 1992 may have been the first year for seeding the first 4 teams, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Well maybe it goes back even further. Can't find anything on it, but I thought for a while they actually seeded all 16 teams. I somehow remember seeing that in some sort of UNI media guide. Of course again I could be WAYYY off.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2014, 04:52 PM
UMASS won 3 road games and the neutral site title game in Chatty in 1998, I'm pretty sure JMU did the same in 2004.

hey Tony. how come your not playing in a bowl game?

Mr. C
December 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Folks, for most of the history of the I-AA/FCS tournament, ALL of the teams were seeded to determine first-round matchups and the rest of the draw. That changed in 2001 when the NCAA used the excuse of 9-11 to make the tournament more regional. That was really done to SAVE money. Another unheralded team to go all the way was the 2002 Western Kentucky squad. It beat three highly-ranked teams on the way to the title, Western Illinois (in the infamous Sledgehammer game that turned into a brawl at the end), Georgia Southern (when a last-second field goal went inches wide of the post from 50 yards out) and top-ranked McNeese State (which had ripped WKU in an early-season non-conference game) in the championship contest in Chattanooga.

jmufan999
December 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM

nope. again, JMU was the first ever team to win 3 straight road games then a neutral site national championship. had NEVER EVER EVER been done before. UMass hosted Lehigh in the 2nd round. can we put this to rest now? please? TRUST ME, WE WERE FIRST.

"JMU football won the NCAA Division I-AA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship) national title in 2004, with a 13-2 record, and are the only team in history to win the title after playing four straight road playoff games." (the article says 4 straight road playoff games and are obviously counting the neutral site as an away game, but you get the idea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
nope. again, JMU was the first ever team to win 3 straight road games then a neutral site national championship. had NEVER EVER EVER been done before. UMass hosted Lehigh in the 2nd round. can we put this to rest now? please? TRUST ME, WE WERE FIRST.

"JMU football won the NCAA Division I-AA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship) national title in 2004, with a 13-2 record, and are the only team in history to win the title after playing four straight road playoff games." (the article says 4 straight road playoff games and are obviously counting the neutral site as an away game, but you get the idea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season

Brave man, sourcing wikipedia.