December 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM
#5 Illinois State @ #1 New Hamsphire
Saturday, 12/20
2:00 PM Eastern
ESPNU
Cowell Stadium, Durham, NH

Catsfan90
December 13th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Big game for UNH this will be the best team we face all season. We need to do a better job on D than EWU did, and we need to iron out a lot of those offensive mistakes we had against chatt. Very excites for this game!

Mattymc727
December 13th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Lets pack the dungeon!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Two very similar offenses.

ISU is firing on all cylinders right now.

WrenFGun
December 13th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Really excited to face another new foe in ISU-r. Welcome to the Dungeon ... it's terrible. We love it.

Just as a note, while the majority of UNH fans are on AGS, if you're looking for a more UNH centric board, it's unhsports.boards.net. You have to ask to join because we got destroyed by spam a few years ago, but we have people approving all the time.

I was super impressed with what I saw today and it will be an incredible challenge for UNH to come out victorious.

Redbird74
December 13th, 2014, 09:11 PM
#5 Illinois State @ #1 New Hamsphire
Saturday, 12/20
2:00 PM Eastern
ESPNU
Cowell Stadium, Durham, NH

Where is this information from? I'm assuming it's accurate, but couldn't find it to confirm anywhere. Trying to make some travel plans to see the Birds!

KPSUL
December 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Where is this information from? I'm assuming it's accurate, but couldn't find it to confirm anywhere. Trying to make some travel plans to see the Birds!

Just a couple minutes ago I got a text with the same info from the UNH Athletic Dept.

Redbird74
December 13th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Just a couple minutes ago I got a text with the same info from the UNH Athletic Dept.

Thanks! Hoping we get to make it down next weekend from Toronto for the game. Should be a good one!

PantherRob82
December 13th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Attendance will probably be lower next week, but still a hat place to win.

Bison56
December 13th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Wonder if the travel will have any affect on the Redbirds that's a lot of miles in 2 weeks. Good luck to both teams.

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Wonder if the travel will have any affect on the Redbirds that's a lot of miles in 2 weeks. Good luck to both teams.

My thoughts exactly. I expect a close one.

UNH Fanboi
December 14th, 2014, 01:26 AM

It certainly won't help them, but they are still the favorites in this game. We're going to need a flawless performance and some Dungeon magic to win this one.

UNHFan
December 14th, 2014, 01:30 AM
All set! UNH 45 I State 23

Twentysix
December 14th, 2014, 02:45 AM
ISUr 38 UNH 27

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM
It certainly won't help them, but they are still the favorites in this game. We're going to need a flawless performance and some Dungeon magic to win this one.

UNH is the #1 seed......xeyebrowx

SpreadtheRed
December 14th, 2014, 08:27 AM
UNH is the #1 seed......xeyebrowx
According to the regular season stats dudeitsaid so kindly broke down for us, ISUr is better in almost every category statistically except passing yards per game. The biggest teller in the data though, is ISUr did it against highly superior opponents, SOS of 10 as compared to 41.

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 08:55 AM
From the UNH Athletics website:

Tickets to Saturday's UNH/Illinois State NCAA semifinal game go on sale to the general public Sunday, Dec. 14, at 12 p.m. For tickets, call 1-800-745-3000 or visit www.unhwildcats.com.

UNHWildcat18
December 14th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I think this game will be very close, both teams have an offense and defense that can make plays. I doubt you score, 59 though. EWU's D looked undersized and confused out there. Safe travels to and redbird fans making the trip out

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
...AN' GAVE UP BIG YARDS...OVERAH DUH MIDDLE.....WAS WIDE OPEN ALL DAY....BRAWK!

THE HERD
December 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Redbirds will win this one, because they will control both sides of the line of scrimmage. They win by 10-14 points and it wouldn't shock me if they ran away with it. Chattanooga had a nice running game, but now they face Roberson and Coprich........Redbirds will put 40+ points on the board.

X-Factor
December 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
With modern day flight trvel, the number of miles is not relevent. These teams fly direct on a private charter. I would guess ISU will be more rested then had they taken a bus trip to UNI. That's not to say that UNH doesn't have an advantage here, because they clearly do playing at home with no travel at all.

UNH Fanboi
December 14th, 2014, 01:22 PM
With modern day flight trvel, the number of miles is not relevent. These teams fly direct on a private charter. I would guess ISU will be more rested then had they taken a bus trip to UNI. That's not to say that UNH doesn't have an advantage here, because they clearly do playing at home with no travel at all.

Changing time zones is what really makes a difference, not miles or time. It really messes with your body clock and can affect athletic performance. There have been studies on it.

dwtime
December 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Changing time zones is what really makes a difference, not miles or time. It really messes with your body clock and can affect athletic performance. There have been studies on it.

Shouldn't be a big deal they lose an hour from Illinois.

Bison56
December 14th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Sleeping in your own bed is an advantage. Just my opinion but I know when I'm out of town I don't sleep as well and I'm not going to be playing in a semi final game. :)

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Shouldn't be a big deal they lose an hour from Illinois.

But they just gained one, then lose it, then lose another. Not a lot of time to adapt.

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 01:51 PM
The first I've seen of Illinois state was against EWU. Since that was the first game I have seen between either team I don't have a lot of conparables. What I do see though is a lot of AGS posters writing off UNH as if this game has already been played, and UNH has been crushed. So how do UNH/ ISUR matchup that is so much better for ISUR

Mattymc727
December 14th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I actually think attendance will be better than Friday. There is a lot of buzz up here right now and UNH will have a tailgate this week. Anyone that was at the game last Friday will come back for sure, and add some. Wouldn't be surprised if its an actual 8k for UNH.

ISUr is the better team, but add the travel and the dungeon magic, this one will be a doozy!!!!!

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I hope the students come out like the did on Friday! You can tell how big of a help that is to the team.

Wildcat Pride
December 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM
What was the situation for the 20-18 win over Indiana St. Indiana did not look like they even belonged in the play offs with their performance against Chattanooga

ISUMatt
December 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM
What was the situation for the 20-18 win over Indiana St. Indiana did not look like they even belonged in the play offs with their performance against Chattanooga
Defensive battle in Terre Haute. Indiana State hung around, took the lead very late, ISU had a decent last drive with a short field and Aussiker kicked a 20 yard FG to win it

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
UNH is capable of matching the offensive intensity and consistency of ISU; however they haven't done it for at least 3 games. I personally would prefer to see Andy Valais at QB, at least for the 1st half. They seemed to get out to a quicker start when Andy started in the middle of the season. Hard to judge the home field advantage for UNH, but it is significant Also don't exactly know what to think of the ISU defensive breakdown in the last quarter against EWU - probably not much as it occurred at a point of the game most of us just wondered why EWU wouldn't just help ISU run out the clock. UNH has had an opportunistic, big play D all year. The passing game looks like a toss up, but ISU's running game is clearly stronger. Here's my unusual prediction: Either UNH wins in a game that is decided on the last possession, or ISU wins by at least 2 TDs. I'll be front and center in Section C cheering for my Wildcats either way.

Mattymc727
December 14th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Cool video on NFL game day that has nothing to do with this game:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12026800

THE HERD
December 14th, 2014, 04:12 PM
The first I've seen of Illinois state was against EWU. Since that was the first game I have seen between either team I don't have a lot of conparables. What I do see though is a lot of AGS posters writing off UNH as if this game has already been played, and UNH has been crushed. So how do UNH/ ISUR matchup that is so much better for ISUR

O-line/d-line.......Redbirds have a bunch of road graders in front of Coprich.

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
UNH is capable of matching the offensive intensity and consistency of ISU; however they haven't done it for at least 3 games. I personally would prefer to see Andy Valais at QB, at least for the 1st half. They seemed to get out to a quicker start when Andy started in the middle of the season. Hard to judge the home field advantage for UNH, but it is significant Also don't exactly know what to think of the ISU defensive breakdown in the last quarter against EWU - probably not much as it occurred at a point of the game most of us just wondered why EWU wouldn't just help ISU run out the clock. UNH has had an opportunistic, big play D all year. The passing game looks like a toss up, but ISU's running game is clearly stronger. Here's my unusual prediction: Either UNH wins in a game that is decided on the last possession, or ISU wins by at least 2 TDs. I'll be front and center in Section C cheering for my Wildcats either way.
And I'll be in the middle of section C no matter what! And I have to agree with you. I would almost prefer to see Vailas in their at this point. Goldrich has been looking flustered. But with that being said, when Goldrich is on his game I think there isn't to much better you could ask for. If we can limit the x plays by Coprich, and match them as best as possible up to at least a touchdown, than the home field advantage could help us on a final drive. But other than thay, this will be an uphill battle the entire time. ISUr has the advantage, and it will take flawless football to beat them.

dwtime
December 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Cool video on NFL game day that has nothing to do with this game:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12026800

Very cool.

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM
O-line/d-line.......Redbirds have a bunch of road graders in front of Coprich.

Maybe the first drive or two, They look like a bunch of legitimate 295 pounders who tip the scales at 340. They'll wear down before our D-Line regardless of time of possession - just like Chattanooga's. Coprich himself is what worries me. He doesn't seem to need much of a whole to be off to the races.

Mattymc727
December 14th, 2014, 05:14 PM
The Mocs had a pretty good defensive line, and UNH didn't seem to have too much of a problem, atleast when it mattered. UNH has a solid oline and a very solid dline as well, which is what won them the game in the second half against the Mocs. I think line play may be even.

Pards Rule
December 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM
First time for Redbirds in semi? Will the students have departed at UNH for Xmas break by Saturday?

ISUMatt
December 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
First time for Redbirds in semi? Will the students have departed at UNH for Xmas break by Saturday?

ISU in semis in 1999 before bowing out to Adrian Peterson and Georgia Southern 24-10

ISUMatt

ISUMatt
December 14th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Maybe the first drive or two, They look like a bunch of legitimate 295 pounders who tip the scales at 340. They'll wear down before our D-Line regardless of time of possession - just like Chattanooga's. Coprich himself is what worries me. He doesn't seem to need much of a whole to be off to the races.

Good luck, hasn't happened all year yet...100 yards everyone game for Coprich. The o-line gets stronger as the game goes deeper

ISUMatt

UNHWildcat18
December 14th, 2014, 05:51 PM
People should stop writing UNH off so hard until/if it happens. I think the MVFC is to an extent overrated to what people have been saying this year. A great conference yes, the best probably this year. However, NDSU was "supposed" crush CCU.... Indiana state got stomped by nooga. I know Illinois state beat up on EWU. SDSU had close games vs NDSU and Montana state. Isur and NDSU may be the best two teams in the nation but I don't think the MVFC is as far ahead as everyone had been saying this season.

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately, I think they will have.

Mattymc727
December 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Unfortunately, I think they will have.

There will be 1000 students that live in NH/Mass and will fill the student section. Technically the semester was over before the game Friday.

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
For the Redbird fans considering a trip to UNH you may not know how close UNH is to Boston. If you drive it at 2 in the morning you can make it in a little over an hour In fact, due to a scarcity of Boston area college football teams, Boston has begun to adopt the Wildcats. UNH has always had many Boston area students. Anyway, here's a little cultural lesson to whet your appetite.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=612099648830729&set=vb.599776636729697&type=2&theater

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 06:24 PM
There will be 1000 students that live in NH/Mass and will fill the student section. Technically the semester was over before the game Friday.
I really hope so, that's exactly what we need!

dwtime
December 14th, 2014, 06:27 PM
For the Redbird fans considering a trip to UNH you may not know how close UNH is to Boston. If you drive it at 2 in the morning you can make it in a little over an hour In fact, due to a scarcity of Boston area college football teams, Boston has begun to adopt the Wildcats. UNH has always had many Boston area students. Anyway, here's a little cultural lesson to whet your appetite.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=612099648830729&set=vb.599776636729697&type=2&theater

I love that song!

Mattymc727
December 14th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I really hope so, that's exactly what we need!

Agreed!

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Any of the ISUr fans making the trip that enjoy consuming adult beverages might I mention that our liquor stores are all tax free, as well as the seacoast has a few great breweries. Redhook in Portsmouth brews all on site, and has amazing food! It's only about 15 minutes from Durham. As well as Smuttynose which is also a seacoast great.

World
December 14th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Illinois State - 45
UNH - 32

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM
People should stop writing UNH off so hard until/if it happens. I think the MVFC is to an extent overrated to what people have been saying this year. A great conference yes, the best probably this year. However, NDSU was "supposed" crush CCU.... Indiana state got stomped by nooga. I know Illinois state beat up on EWU. SDSU had close games vs NDSU and Montana state. Isur and NDSU may be the best two teams in the nation but I don't think the MVFC is as far ahead as everyone had been saying this season.

The Valley is something like 28-2 against other FCS competition this year. Not bad this year...xeyebrowx

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM
The Valley is something like 25-2 or 3 against other FCS competition this year. Not bad this year...xeyebrowx
How many valley teams have played UNH this year?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
How many valley teams have played UNH this year?

Irrelevant to what I was talking about. The Valley has been very good against FCS competition and the 28-2 record proves that.

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Irrelevant to what I was talking about. The Valley has been very good against FCS competition and the 28-2 record proves that.
Yah my bad I read your post a little to quick, and reacted a little to fast. Can't argue facts, I just took it as smack at first. But after re reading it, I see it as you just posting a fact lol

centennial
December 14th, 2014, 07:46 PM
The valley is 31-2 vs the FCS this season. I've watched games from both UNH and ISUr. In my opinion ISU is the superior team. Sagarin rates this game on a neutral field with ISU as 7.5 point favorite. At UNH that turns to a 4-5 point advantage. Not much, so the game could be a tossup... However, when I look at the form of both the teams ISU looks to be playing much better football. I expect a 35-24 type of game.

UNHWildcat18
December 14th, 2014, 08:50 PM
The Valley is something like 28-2 against other FCS competition this year. Not bad this year...xeyebrowx

How many of those games excluding playoffs are against the top three teams in the caa big sky southlnand and ovc? Just saying, this years playoffs has shown so far the top teams in other divisions can play top mvfc teams close.

RollBirds
December 14th, 2014, 09:03 PM
How many of those games excluding playoffs are against the top three teams in the caa big sky aputhlnand and ovc? Just saying this playoffs has shown so far the top teams in other divisions can play top mvfc teams close.

A couple would be, NDSU beat Montana, ILSTU and SIU beat EIU, INSTU beat Liberty, I don't recall any games against the CAA's best. But a lot of those games against other conferences lower end teams were blowouts that teams in other conferences have the luxury of playing every year.

World
December 14th, 2014, 09:08 PM
How many of those games excluding playoffs are against the top three teams in the caa big sky southlnand and ovc? Just saying, this years playoffs has shown so far the top teams in other divisions can play top mvfc teams close.

How many MVFC teams have made it to the semi-finals?

How many teams from ALL OTHER CONFERENCES have made it to the semi-finals?

Wildcat Pride
December 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM

Same could be said for the CAA last year with Towson and UNH

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 09:26 PM

With five teams in to begin with the odds are very favourable of at least two making Into the semis.

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2014, 09:28 PM
A couple would be, NDSU beat Montana, ILSTU and SIU beat EIU, INSTU beat Liberty, I don't recall any games against the CAA's best. But a lot of those games against other conferences lower end teams were blowouts that teams in other conferences have the luxury of playing every year.

EIU. xlolx xlolx Please don't put up a victory over an OVC team as a good one.

RollBirds
December 14th, 2014, 09:31 PM
EIU. xlolx xlolx Please don't put up a victory over an OVC team as a good one.

Didn't say it was a good one, it was asked if a valley team beat any team in the top 3 of those said conferences.

UNHWildcat18
December 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Calm your tits, I said previously I think ISUR and NDSU could be the best two teams in the nation. Just done listening to everyone say the MVFC is far above everyone else, because they aren't. and yes two caa teams made it to the semis last year. If nova had Robertson it would have been two this year as well

dwtime
December 14th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Calm your tits, I said previously I think ISUR and NDSU could be the best two teams in the nation. Just done listening to everyone say the MVFC is far above everyone else, because they aren't. and yes two caa teams made it to the semis last year. If nova had Robertson it would have been two this year as well

Listening to how incredible the MVFC is just a given on here, we are not worthy to question that.

FargoBison
December 14th, 2014, 10:23 PM
With five teams in to begin with the odds are very favourable of at least two making Into the semis.

That would be a good point, in a world without regionalization.

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 10:25 PM
True, the whole sdsu, ndsu gig was complete BS. But UNH and Maine had the exact same situation occur last year.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2014, 10:43 PM
News flash out of Durham. McDonnell and Scarano just ran up the white flag. NCAA just saved some airfare $$. The Big Red Machine can now get to work on prepping for the Bizon,... just as it should be. xthumbsupx

Good luck, boys.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Guys, UNH would have finished behind South Dakota if we were in the MFVC. Lets just be happy we made it this far.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2014, 06:41 AM

I didn't look up every game. Yes, top teams can compete and beat top Valley teams. My point is the the Valley got it done in the OOC games this year.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 07:30 AM
There is no doubt that the MVFC conference was far and away the best conference this year, its really hard to argue that too. However, UNH doesnt play the MVFC on Saturday, just Illinois State. No doubt Illinois State is a top 4 team and maybe the hottest team right now. But they had to fly to Washington, change time zones to head back to Illinois, and change time zones again coming to New Hampshire. Add that UNH is very good at home, and the playing field is certainly even. This game is a toss up and I dont see how anyone could be confident either way.

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM
The one thing I'll say about ISU-r's playoff run is that they played a team with no QB [and once they got a QB, that team scored pretty consistently] and a team without a defense [and they allowed 45 points]. I can't say much definitively other than that I expect UNH to be able to move the ball, and they'll have to given how proficient ISU-r has been at scoring the football.

I took a look at their schedule, and they've allowed the following points from 10/18 onward: 34 [WIU, 5-7], 7 [Missou St., 4-8], 42! [UNI, 9-5], 21 [YSU, 7-5], 26 [SD, 2-10], 29 [SIU, 6-6], UNI [21, 9-5], EWU [46, 11-3]. For you non-math majors out there, that's 28.25 points per game allowed. ISU-R's combined opponents had a record of 53-49.

During the same stretch, UNH has allowed 20 [Stony Brook, 5-7], 24 [Albany, 7-5], 14 [URI, 1-11], 14 [Delaware, 6-6], 12 [Maine, 5-6], 19 [Fordham, 11-3], 30 [Chattanooga, 10-4], for an average of 19 points per game. UNH's combined opponents had a record of 45-42.

In other words, pretty similar records from both teams, I'd say pretty similar caliber of opponents, and UNH's defense was far better than Indiana State's during that time period. In short, I think UNH can score and may have a better defense, though I'd wager that the Redbirds have the better offense. I'd expect a game in the high 30's or low 40's.

dewey
December 15th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing this game. A hot Illinois State team against a New Hampshire team that virtually never loses at home. I am looking forward to seeing how New Hampshire ' s defense tries to slow down Coprich and Roberson.

Has a point spread come out yet?

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2014, 09:28 AM

20324.....WHIFF 5 TEAMS IN DUH RACE......YA'LL WOODAH RUN INTA...EACH OTHERAH...ANYWHO......WHAT WOOD IT MATTERAH...WEEK 2..O' WEEK 3...xconfusedx..ALL 5 CAIN'T BE @ FRISKO......xcoolx....BAWK!

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Just by going off this past weeks performances since that's all I've seen of UNH, I would have to give the edge to ISUr in this game. They played much better on the road at EWU then UNH did at home against UTC.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Just by going off this past weeks performances since that's all I've seen of UNH, I would have to give the edge to ISUr in this game. They played much better on the road at EWU then UNH did at home against UTC.

I can agree with that. I actually thought Chattanooga looked better than EWU though too.

Any Given Saturday I guess.

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM
The one thing I'll say about ISU-r's playoff run is that they played a team with no QB [and once they got a QB, that team scored pretty consistently] and a team without a defense [and they allowed 45 points]. I can't say much definitively other than that I expect UNH to be able to move the ball, and they'll have to given how proficient ISU-r has been at scoring the football.

I took a look at their schedule, and they've allowed the following points from 10/18 onward: 34 [WIU, 5-7], 7 [Missou St., 4-8], 42! [UNI, 9-5], 21 [YSU, 7-5], 26 [SD, 2-10], 29 [SIU, 6-6], UNI [21, 9-5], EWU [46, 11-3]. For you non-math majors out there, that's 28.25 points per game allowed. ISU-R's combined opponents had a record of 53-49.

During the same stretch, UNH has allowed 20 [Stony Brook, 5-7], 24 [Albany, 7-5], 14 [URI, 1-11], 14 [Delaware, 6-6], 12 [Maine, 5-6], 19 [Fordham, 11-3], 30 [Chattanooga, 10-4], for an average of 19 points per game. UNH's combined opponents had a record of 45-42.

In other words, pretty similar records from both teams, I'd say pretty similar caliber of opponents, and UNH's defense was far better than Indiana State's during that time period. In short, I think UNH can score and may have a better defense, though I'd wager that the Redbirds have the better offense. I'd expect a game in the high 30's or low 40's.

Just one point about UNI's 42 points against ISU--21 of those points were off of special teams plays and turnovers. UNI actually only had 235 yards of total offense in that game.

superman7515
December 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM
The Valley is something like 28-2 against other FCS competition this year.

As ISUr and UNH haven't played this year, so that's really a moot point. But if so, Delaware is 13-1 against the MVFC all-time.

Psalm 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the Missouri Valley of the shadow of cupcakes,
I will fear no overrated Panthers,
For Tubby art with me;
They Wing-T and Triple Option comfort me.

Just two weeks ago, on Thanksgiving, the Eagles smacked the Cowboys around. Didn't matter last night. The only history that matters is the history you make.

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing this game. A hot Illinois State team against a New Hampshire team that virtually never loses at home. I am looking forward to seeing how New Hampshire ' s defense tries to slow down Coprich and Roberson.

Has a point spread come out yet?

Dewey

The FCS games are listed on 5 dimes but no lines yet. I expect ISU to be favored by about 6 or 7.

RollBirds
December 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM
The only history that matters is the history you make.

I like that, so it shouldn't matter how well UNH usually is at home? Because people said the same thing last week about the boys on the red turf, and ILSTU beat the bricks off them.

Catsfan90
December 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM

I think any UNH fan would be lying to you if they said they didn't agree with this. We beat a few teams very sloppily, and I am almost afraid that it lulled them into a false sense of confidence. For instance we had six turnovers against Maine but still pulled the win. Had Maine had any sort of offense whatsoever no way we wont that game. It just statistically doesn't happen. I think that Nooga was a wakeup call in the sense that they were finally playing a high caliber team on their level. I hope that a lot of these mistakes have been cleaned up, and they will be ready for ISUr. As neither team has played each other or even any common opponents for that matter it is difficult to predict how they are going to matchup. I just hope this one is close and comes down to the wire.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2014, 10:08 AM
20324.....WHIFF 5 TEAMS IN DUH RACE......YA'LL WOODAH RUN INTA...EACH OTHERAH...ANYWHO......WHAT WOOD IT MATTERAH...WEEK 2..O' WEEK 3...xconfusedx..ALL 5 CAIN'T BE @ FRISKO......xcoolx....BAWK!

But we should have just had a 5 team royal rumble in Frisco between the MVFC teams to find out who the true National Champion is xbeerchugx

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Its almost impossible to predict based on conference. Thats the beauty of the playoffs. Did anyone think CCU could play NDSU so close? Or even Chattanooga at UNH? There is so little to base things on. These games are mostly toss-ups at this point because the teams left are very good and you cant say much more than that.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I can say I have seen ISUr twice in person.

Obviously, both teams are great and I haven't seen UNH in person. I am just going to say ISUr is really really good, and it will take a heck of a game or a lucky game to beat them. We had a lucky game at home with 21 defense and special teams points to beat them. We then played a very average mediocre game at Normal and got pounded. They are probably the best team I have seen play this year with NDSU and UNH being right behind them. This should be a whale of a game, but I do expect the Redbirds to win. Obviously, it could go either way and anyone telling you different is looking at the game with homer glasses (whether conference or otherwise).

KUlawJack
December 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Its almost impossible to predict based on conference. Thats the beauty of the playoffs. Did anyone think CCU could play NDSU so close? Or even Chattanooga at UNH? There is so little to base things on. These games are mostly toss-ups at this point because the teams left are very good and you cant say much more than that.

I'd agree. The teams remaining in the final 8 and then the final 4 are all very good no matter their league.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 10:28 AM
It seems like most of the UNH posters think ISUr is the better team anyway. Are there any UNH posters that think UNH is the better team, flat out on a neutral field?

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM
It seems like most of the UNH posters think ISUr is the better team anyway. Are there any UNH posters that think UNH is the better team, flat out on a neutral field?

I think it's clear the Redbirds have a better resume AND are playing better. I still think it's essentially a neutral play, though, given UNH is at home and almost never loses at home, and UNH has far more playoff experience at this juncture among the two teams/staffs.

Pards Rule
December 15th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Yeah, but they were still partying after the semester exams. Now, they want to depart to see their friends back home and their family. What was attendance at Friday's game?

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but they were still partying after the semester exams. Now, they want to depart to see their friends back home and their family. What was attendance at Friday's game?

6,380 out of 6500. Lot of buzz in the area right now though, I see a repeat if not better attendance on Saturday. I wouldnt worry about the student section either, it will fill.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I'd agree. The teams remaining in the final 8 and then the final 4 are all very good no matter their league.

Exactly. You get to this point all the teams are great. Just comes down to which team plays better that day.

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Oh the joy of having our players finish final exams last week. Nothing in store this week but practice, rest and getting ready for Saturday. Hoping by Saturday they're all lathered up, ready and tired of beating up on each other this week.

Should be a good game.

Redbirdgrad
December 15th, 2014, 12:05 PM

LOL, wut? Pretty similar caliber of opponents??? You can't be serious... right?

Sagarin Rankings:

ISU - WIU (123), Missouri State (115), UNI (60), Youngstown State (111), South Dakota (178), Southern Illinois (110), UNI (60), Eastern Washington (93)
UNH - Stony Brook (176), Albany (163), Rhode Island (231), Delaware (192), Maine (190), Fordham (114), Chattanooga (71)

ISU Average -106.25
UNH Average - 162.43

I think this is going to be a heck of a game, and a close one at that, but you can't honestly say UNH has played similar opponents down the stretch as ISU. Take any team ranking/rating system you want and you'll find similar numbers. ISU's offense and defense has had similar numbers to UNH's down the stretch and has played FAR tougher opponents than UNH. I'm not discrediting their defense (it could be very good), just your statement.

NSF
December 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
To me it depends on which version of Roberson shows up. Coprich will get his yards. Roberson was not good at all against ISU-b and the game was very close. And for the UNH fans that have busted on ISU-b here, they actually gave up less total yards against Chatty and about the same amount of points, many of which came on very short fields. If our offense had shown up at all, it may have been a very similar game to the UNH-Chattanooga game, but if's and but's are... I think ISU-r wins a close one here.

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I don't believe the time zone change will make a difference. We went to Eastern Washington AFTER our kids had finals/graduation and then proceeded to get the W on the road. I don't think going East is going to hurt us one bit, by gaining an hour. These kids have nothing to do all day but practice, sleep and focus on the game on Saturday, and play some X-Box One.

Last I checked we still play football outdoors in Illinois. We have to contend with snow, rain, sleet and the elements in Illinois. We will still practice on field turf to get ready for the game. Finally, due to the unfortunate incident at the end of the EWU game, I don't think our players really had a chance to celebrate or rest on beating EWU. That may be huge in that it keeps them focused and prepared for UNH.

I wouldn't expect the UNH fans to think we've got a snowballs chance in Durham this weekend. They're the #1 overall seed, they're playing at home. They get to sleep in their beds. We've never played in "The Dungeon", so the odds are definitely not in our favor. I think it sounds eeriely similar to the UNI fans who figured Roberson would have a follow-up to his game in Cedar Falls. That Coprich despite being MVFC POY can be slowed down or limited........OR the EWU fans who thought we'd be mezmerized by "The Inferno" because they'd only lost on it a few times since it was installed. They remembered 2012 when they hung 51 on us, but as their coach said "We felt like we had been running into trees all afternoon". My favorite.....EWU has more "team speed" and the midwestern boys wouldn't be able to keep up with it.

So for the record, our WR Neblett is slow. Cam Meridith is one dimension, all he can do is go for the jump ball. Our BEEFY Offensive Lineman will wear down as the game goes on. Roberson will somehow find the inconsistency that plagued him in Iowa, and Coprich bad ankle and all won't dare rush for 100 yards again. Our DEF, well it gave up points to WIU, UNI (x2), EWU by the droves. We're the #4 seed and you guys are #1 overall and #1 in the nation. We'll be lucky to hang with you guys, as I'm sure "The Dungeon" will be far more imposing than "The Inferno" with its smallness and intimacy.

Been a great run Redbirds. No way we can win this game. Too many holes to fill to compete against UNH.

dwtime
December 15th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I don't believe the time zone change will make a difference. We went to Eastern Washington AFTER our kids had finals/graduation and then proceeded to get the W on the road. I don't think going East is going to hurt us one bit, by gaining an hour. These kids have nothing to do all day but practice, sleep and focus on the game on Saturday, and play some X-Box One.

Last I checked we still play football outdoors in Illinois. We have to contend with snow, rain, sleet and the elements in Illinois. We will still practice on field turf to get ready for the game. Finally, due to the unfortunate incident at the end of the EWU game, I don't think our players really had a chance to celebrate or rest on beating EWU. That may be huge in that it keeps them focused and prepared for UNH.

I wouldn't expect the UNH fans to think we've got a snowballs chance in Durham this weekend. They're the #1 overall seed, they're playing at home. They get to sleep in their beds. We've never played in "The Dungeon", so the odds are definitely not in our favor. I think it sounds eeriely similar to the UNI fans who figured Roberson would have a follow-up to his game in Cedar Falls. That Coprich despite being MVFC POY can be slowed down or limited........OR the EWU fans who thought we'd be mezmerized by "The Inferno" because they'd only lost on it a few times since it was installed. They remembered 2012 when they hung 51 on us, but as their coach said "We felt like we had been running into trees all afternoon". My favorite.....EWU has more "team speed" and the midwestern boys wouldn't be able to keep up with it.

So for the record, our WR Neblett is slow. Cam Meridith is one dimension, all he can do is go for the jump ball. Our BEEFY Offensive Lineman will wear down as the game goes on. Roberson will somehow find the inconsistency that plagued him in Iowa, and Coprich bad ankle and all won't dare rush for 100 yards again. Our DEF, well it gave up points to WIU, UNI (x2), EWU by the droves. We're the #4 seed and you guys are #1 overall and #1 in the nation. We'll be lucky to hang with you guys, as I'm sure "The Dungeon" will be far more imposing than "The Inferno" with its smallness and intimacy.

Been a great run Redbirds. No way we can win this game. Too many holes to fill to compete against UNH.

I think you are pretty much talking to yourself here, every UNH fan I know here thinks ISUr is the hottest team in the country right now and it will take an amazing game by the Cats to beat them. Rankings btw are for chumps, UNH got ranked high because of their run of 10 straight wins while all other teams got losses and even coach McDonnell said NDSU is the best team in the country. All the teams left can win it, so we shall see, but no UNH fan thinks UNH can just telephone it in.

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Sagarin Rankings:

ISU - WIU (123), Missouri State (115), UNI (60), Youngstown State (111), South Dakota (178), Southern Illinois (110), UNI (60), Eastern Washington (93)
UNH - Stony Brook (176), Albany (163), Rhode Island (231), Delaware (192), Maine (190), Fordham (114), Chattanooga (71)

ISU Average -106.25
UNH Average - 162.43

I think this is going to be a heck of a game, and a close one at that, but you can't honestly say UNH has played similar opponents down the stretch as ISU. Take any team ranking/rating system you want and you'll find similar numbers. ISU's offense and defense has had similar numbers to UNH's down the stretch and has played FAR tougher opponents than UNH. I'm not discrediting their defense (it could be very good), just your statement.

Again, this is my personal opinion, but a lot of those teams are being pulled up by the strength of the conference in general. When you have five playoff teams, the confidence is going to be strong and that's going to reflect in the numbers. The MVFC was also outstanding OOC. But when we're talking about Missouri State, WIU and South Dakota, I can fairly confidently project that there isn't an enormous difference between that threesome and the threesome of SBU, URI and Maine.

I think ISU-R had a tougher schedule, no doubt, but I don't think those teams are so different that I'd expect them to score 10 more points per game than UNH's opponents, on average.

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2014, 01:44 PM

So sensitive.....xrolleyesx

Redbirdgrad
December 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Again, this is my personal opinion, but a lot of those teams are being pulled up by the strength of the conference in general. When you have five playoff teams, the confidence is going to be strong and that's going to reflect in the numbers. The MVFC was also outstanding OOC. But when we're talking about Missouri State, WIU and South Dakota, I can fairly confidently project that there isn't an enormous difference between that threesome and the threesome of SBU, URI and Maine.

I think ISU-R had a tougher schedule, no doubt, but I don't think those teams are so different that I'd expect them to score 10 more points per game than UNH's opponents, on average.

I respect your difference of opinion, for sure. That's what makes these arguments and comparisons fun. What I'm trying to get it is that in your very rebuttal, you said they're being pulled up "by the weight of the conference" which is my very argument. The conference is tougher, and ISU had a tougher road. I don't think it's even close, as the sagarin numbers show. I would confidently put Missouri State and WIU up against SBU, URI, and Maine. South Dakota... not so much, but ever conference has a stinker.

The date you used started at almost the beginning of the conference season, so we're talking about the majority of conference play. You then said ISU was in a better conference, which means tough opponents, but then tried to say that the opponents were similar. Those two statements just don't fly.

In my opinion, Illinois State and UNH are very similar in strength and it'll be a heck of a game. But to say the schedules down the stretch were similar is in fact a stretch.

The edge goes to Illinois State based on schedule and many different metrics (offensive output, etc.), but I think it'll be within 3 points this weekend.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM

You forgot probably the biggest obstacle of all....EAST COAST BIAS!!! :D

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 01:52 PM
So sensitive.....xrolleyesx

Not hardly. LOL. 3 weeks in a row we've been hearing the same thing. I figured it must be true since we lost the last two we........Oh wait! We won. xdrunkyx

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
You forgot probably the biggest obstacle of all....EAST COAST BIAS!!! :D

No doubt, we're going up against UNH and ESPN. No way they allow a group of Midwesterners come into New England and win! The odds are against us.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I think you are pretty much talking to yourself here, every UNH fan I know here thinks ISUr is the hottest team in the country right now and it will take an amazing game by the Cats to beat them. Rankings btw are for chumps, UNH got ranked high because of their run of 10 straight wins while all other teams got losses and even coach McDonnell said NDSU is the best team in the country. All the teams left can win it, so we shall see, but no UNH fan thinks UNH can just telephone it in.

I agree. I even called out to see if there was a poster who thinks UNH is better than ISUr straight up and nobody came forward.

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I agree. I even called out to see if there was a poster who thinks UNH is better than ISUr straight up and nobody came forward.

I think they exude an inner confidence in UNH, and thus believe we are not worthy of message board banter and prognostications of the like. (Just kidding) I get it, apparently my sarcasm isn't going over well today.

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Hows the Illinois State Special teams?

That was the biggest factor in the Wildcats win over Chattanooga. You never really consider it, but it was a major advantage that night and cost Chatty the game. Sounds like the Redbirds had issues at UNI.

UNH72Plus
December 15th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Sagarin Rankings:

ISU Average -106.25
UNH Average - 162.43

Being a bit selective there aren't you? You include #231 Rhode Island, #192 Delaware, and #190 Maine; and leave out #129 Richmond, #149 Dartmouth, and #154 William & Mary. On the other side you left off #248 Mississippi Valley State, #237 Austin Peay, and #131 Eastern Illinois!

REALBird
December 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hows the Illinois State Special teams?

That was the biggest factor in the Wildcats win over Chattanooga. You never really consider it, but it was a major advantage that night and cost Chatty the game. Sounds like the Redbirds had issues at UNI.

Gave up 21 points to UNI in our lone loss of the season. Last week we pretty much played keep away as much as possible from EWU. We gave up a lot of short field opportunities to prevent any big plays in the kicking game.

I see you guys have someone who averaged 40 yards a return in the kickoff game last week against Chatty! Doubt he will see many opportunities to run many back this week. That being said, seems your punter was a little busy as well 7 punts for 315 yards. Field position will play a huge role, but I'm not sure that will hurt ISU as much if our offense moves the ball the way it did last week.

For lack of a better word, we out EWU'd the Eagles on their own field. 10/16 3rd down conversions. 3/4 on 4th down conversions. Our longest drive of the day was 5:01 and that resulted in a FG on the first possession of the game. Yet we somehow still had almost a 14 minute advantage in TOP (36:46 - 23:14). Scored on 6/7 chances in the Red Zone.

Lost in all of those offensive numbers, we sacked Vernon Adams 4 times for -13 yards, forced him into 2 INT's and recovered a EWU fumble, and only committed two penalties all game. While it may look like our DEF wasn't "effective" the three pass break ups were BIG as well.

We rushed the ball 54 times for 344 yards and 6 TD's on the game. OMG didn't realize that stat.

But back to your original question, I think we'll adopt the same "bend but don't break" mentality this game as well.

Redbirdgrad
December 15th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Being a bit selective there aren't you? You include #231 Rhode Island, #192 Delaware, and #190 Maine; and leave out #129 Richmond, #149 Dartmouth, and #154 William & Mary. On the other side you left off #248 Mississippi Valley State, #237 Austin Peay, and #131 Eastern Illinois!

I was using the date given to me by that poster. It was his selection and sample size, not mine. But thanks for the input and chiming in mid-way throughout. Always welcome other opinions!

If you want the entire year's sample size, just go look at the sagaring rankings in full. That will show you everything you need to know.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Don't worry UNH fans despite not being able to prove any true disrespect the ISUr fans have been playing the "Everyone disrespects us" card for the entire playoffs.

They have some sort of little brother complex.

However, their team is extremely good so hopefully your team "respects" them.

FargoBison
December 15th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I can agree with that. I actually thought Chattanooga looked better than EWU though too.

Any Given Saturday I guess.

Well Chattanooga actually has a defense unlike EWU.

Redbirdgrad
December 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Don't worry UNH fans despite not being able to prove any true disrespect the ISUr fans have been playing the "Everyone disrespects us" card for the entire playoffs.

Here we go again with the UNI fans. Still upset you lost? Why you mad bro?

I don't think any ISU fan is claiming "disrespect" at all. It's the crazy comparisons that we're seeing being thrown out there when every metric ever created shows the strength of the Valley when compared to other FCS and even some FBS conferences. It's clear. It's not a case of "bow down to us" or anything along those lines, you wont see that from me at least, it's more a case of... be careful when comparing offensive and defensive numbers because the road we took through our conference is tougher than the other road traveled.

I just find it funny when people compare scoring averages, etc. without taking the strengths of the teams played in making that comparison.

UNH72Plus
December 15th, 2014, 04:18 PM

I've been following ISUr pretty much all season and frankly think their as good or better than anybody in the FCS. We've been getting our share of the "disrespect" ourselves. The Cats played a real stinker the last game of the season at Maine and everybody said they'd have to really step it up to beat Fordham. They played another subpar game against Fordham and blew them out. Everybody said they'd have to really step it up to beat Chatty, and if you look back at the posts in that thread, right up until the third quarter it seemed that nearly everybody, especially the MVFC posters had written them off, and low and behold they won again! Guess what everybody has been saying this week - you got it, they'll really have to step it up to beat the Redbirds. We'll see.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Here we go again with the UNI fans. Still upset you lost? Why you mad bro?

The only thing I'm currently mad about is losing to VCU in double overtime.

underdawg
December 15th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Game high 35 degrees and SUNNY Saturday--great game conditions for both teams!

gobirds85
December 15th, 2014, 05:17 PM
This is going to be a great game. The teams match up pretty well with an edge to ISU but the home field advantage could be huge. The one stat I found interesting in the Chatty game was that UNH punted 7 times. That's a fair amount of punting. Looking forward to Saturday.

UNHFootballAlum
December 15th, 2014, 05:51 PM
This is going to be a great game. The teams match up pretty well with an edge to ISU but the home field advantage could be huge. The one stat I found interesting in the Chatty game was that UNH punted 7 times. That's a fair amount of punting. Looking forward to Saturday.

UNH had 6 drop passes in the first half which directly resulted in several of those punts. The UNH punter continually flipped the field position

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Betting line is out--ISU favored by 4.5.

Redbird74
December 15th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I'm a Redbird alum coming in from Toronto for this game. Any suggestions on the lay of the land? Is it best to stay in Portsmouth? Somewhere else? Any travel tips for the Durham area would be greatly appreciated by any locals. Thanks in advance!

Kemo
December 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Excited for this game. It should be a good one.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose the winner, I would first question what decisions you've made in life that has brought you to the point of coercing mediocre FCS football advice out of a guy sitting at #40 in the AGS Bracket Challenge... and then I would say Illinois State.

Catsfan90
December 15th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I'm a Redbird alum coming in from Toronto for this game. Any suggestions on the lay of the land? Is it best to stay in Portsmouth? Somewhere else? Any travel tips for the Durham area would be greatly appreciated by any locals. Thanks in advance!
Portsmouth is easy to stay at. Depending on your price range, their are gorgeous hotels downtown but come at a premium. Downtown Portsmouth offers amazing restaurants to fit any tastes as well as a lot of really good bars that also serve amazing food. If your looking for something cheaper Dover has a few hotels and is about 10 minutes from the stadium. If you don't mind staying 40 minutes away Manchester is a very quick trip on 101 and is the biggest city so it has a ton of hotels to stay in.

Redbird74
December 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Portsmouth is easy to stay at. Depending on your price range, their are gorgeous hotels downtown but come at a premium. Downtown Portsmouth offers amazing restaurants to fit any tastes as well as a lot of really good bars that also serve amazing food. If your looking for something cheaper Dover has a few hotels and is about 10 minutes from the stadium. If you don't mind staying 40 minutes away Manchester is a very quick trip on 101 and is the biggest city so it has a ton of hotels to stay in.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Looking forward to Saturday!

Catsfan90
December 15th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Looking forward to Saturday!
Not a problem! Any other info you need don't hesitate to pm me! I've lived here my entire life. Also if you make it early enough to the game, feel free to stop by my tailgate for a beer. Always great to share a beer with a fellow FCS fan!

Twentysix
December 16th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Can't wait for both games. They should both be awesome!

Go Valley!

gobirds85
December 16th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Redbird74, we are coming in around 1 on Friday. Currently staying in Portsmouth but that could change. Getting together with a few more Redbirds on Friday evening to watch the NDSU game. Consider yourself invited.

dwtime
December 16th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Stay in Portsmouth or Newington, lots to do in Portsmouth and there is shopping/outlets in Kittery Maine across the river. Go to the Nubble Lighthouse in York Maine, great photo opportunities and the drive along 1A north and south gives you a great perspective of the east coast of NH and Southern Maine. I would suggest checking yelp for the best resturants, there are many and most are great but some are overrated in my opinion, most seafood places are great also but yelp usually gives you the best current advise.

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2014, 09:27 AM

I stayed at the Americas Best Inn at the Portsmouth rotary right off the US1. www.americasbestinn.com It was a very good clean hotel with continental breakfast for a very reasonable price!

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Bird 74, I PM you on where I stayed...

BNATION
December 16th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Put it to them New hampshire. Unfortunately not sure it will happen.

UNH72Plus
December 16th, 2014, 09:52 AM
As noted above, there are plenty of restaurants and hotels in Portsmouth and Dover. There's a Hampton Inn in Newington, the next town over from Portsmouth and a Microtel (Wyndham chain) off exit 9 in Dover. If you're looking for breakfast, there's a good place right off the Route 1 traffic circle in Portsmouth, and the Wooden Spoon in the Tri-City Plaza in Dover near the Microtel. My daughter is a food critic/correspondent for the Boston Globe and she recommends any one of several small restaurants in Kittery, Maine for dinner. Kittery is just across the river from Portsmouth.

Safe travel to all the Redbirds and enjoy your stay in New Hampshire.

MTfan4life
December 16th, 2014, 10:12 AM

You make a true point. There are four teams left and two of them are from a single conference. My curiosity strays to a different pattern. When one is a fan of Lehigh, Princeton, and Stanford, how does one also decide to become a fan of Illinois State. ISU-Normal just doesn't really fit with the other "academic" schools. xchinscratchx

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2014, 10:47 AM
As noted above, there are plenty of restaurants and hotels in Portsmouth and Dover. There's a Hampton Inn in Newington, the next town over from Portsmouth and a Microtel (Wyndham chain) off exit 9 in Dover. If you're looking for breakfast, there's a good place right off the Route 1 traffic circle in Portsmouth, and the Wooden Spoon in the Tri-City Plaza in Dover near the Microtel. My daughter is a food critic/correspondent for the Boston Globe and she recommends any one of several small restaurants in Kittery, Maine for dinner. Kittery is just across the river from Portsmouth.

Safe travel to all the Redbirds and enjoy your stay in New Hampshire.

Thanks UNH72...I stayed in that Dover NH Microtel on Friday night before going to the Americas Best Inn in Portsmouth. Microtel (also owned by Wyndham chain) is a good place too. And I can vouch for an excellent breakfast at the Wooden Spoon. UNH Alum in CT recommended that last year on my visit. We had dinner in downtown Portsmouth Friday night and it was Ri Ra or something but very good too.

gobirds85
December 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM
You make a true point. There are four teams left and two of them are from a single conference. My curiosity strays to a different pattern. When one is a fan of Lehigh, Princeton, and Stanford, how does one also decide to become a fan of Illinois State. ISU-Normal just doesn't really fit with the other "academic" schools. xchinscratchx

...asks the guy from University of Montana. You might start by getting the university name correct. It is Illinois State University, not ISU-Normal.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Yep, Ri Ra, the Irish Pub in an old bank in Market Square, Downtown Portsmouth. Portsmouth Brewery on Market Street is very good too. So is the pizza next door to the brewery at the Gas Light.

Pards, I thought you had breakfast at the Roundabout Diner off the Portsmouth Traffic Circle????

For the record, there are no hotels in Newington. The Hampton Inn, Residence Inn and Motel6 are all south/east of Gosling Road/Pease Blvd., hence in Portsmouth. Mapquest shows all three having Portsmouth Addresses.

There's another Microtel in York, Maine (as well as a Best Western) that isn't too far off I-95 and within a half hour of campus. Near the Microtel in Dover, there is also a Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn. Downtown Dover has a Day's Inn. Downtown Portsmouth has a Sheraton, Residence Inn, Hilton and Hampton Inn. Out near the Traffic Circle, there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Best Western. And not far from there a Courtyard and Homewood Suites. Loads of Inn and B&B type places in Portsmouth. And out closer to the ocean, there is the old grand hotel Wentworth By The Sea which was refurbished by Marriott.

In Durham itself, there is a Holiday Inn Express which is usually more expensive than you would think. Location allows them to get away with high prices.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Not hardly. LOL. 3 weeks in a row we've been hearing the same thing. I figured it must be true since we lost the last two we........Oh wait! We won. xdrunkyx

Most people in this thread and board are talking about how you are easily the favorite. You have a real martyr complex.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I don't think any ISU fan is claiming "disrespect" at all.

xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2014, 12:05 PM

We stayed in Portsmouth in 2005. That's what I would recommend.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Warning: We went downtown Portsmouth before the game in 2005. One place literally told us we weren't welcome and we got mixed results at the rest. UNH is a hockey school and hockey sportsmanship is very different than football. :D

That said, we also met a lot of great UHN fans over the years and even went to one of their games at Toledo.

Redbirdgrad
December 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM
xthumbsupx

I obviously stand corrected....

but can you blame him? we're favored on the road in the national semifinal by the oddsmakers at Vegas. Someone thinks the seeding was a little screwy... this game should have been played at Hancock...

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Yep, Ri Ra, the Irish Pub in an old bank in Market Square, Downtown Portsmouth. Portsmouth Brewery on Market Street is very good too. So is the pizza next door to the brewery at the Gas Light.

Pards, I thought you had breakfast at the Roundabout Diner off the Portsmouth Traffic Circle????

For the record, there are no hotels in Newington. The Hampton Inn, Residence Inn and Motel6 are all south/east of Gosling Road/Pease Blvd., hence in Portsmouth. Mapquest shows all three having Portsmouth Addresses.

There's another Microtel in York, Maine (as well as a Best Western) that isn't too far off I-95 and within a half hour of campus. Near the Microtel in Dover, there is also a Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn. Downtown Dover has a Day's Inn. Downtown Portsmouth has a Sheraton, Residence Inn, Hilton and Hampton Inn. Out near the Traffic Circle, there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Best Western. And not far from there a Courtyard and Homewood Suites. Loads of Inn and B&B type places in Portsmouth. And out closer to the ocean, there is the old grand hotel Wentworth By The Sea which was refurbished by Marriott.

In Durham itself, there is a Holiday Inn Express which is usually more expensive than you would think. Location allows them to get away with high prices.

UNH Alum in CT comes through again. Yes, I had Sunday breakfast there (excellent!) and Saturday AM at the Spoon. BTW the Board of Saxbys Coffee (www.saxbyscoffee.com) yesterday approved the deal in downtown Durham NH. The complex is slated to open in August 2015 the developer is telling us.

Houndawg
December 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I actually think attendance will be better than Friday. There is a lot of buzz up here right now and UNH will have a tailgate this week. Anyone that was at the game last Friday will come back for sure, and add some. Wouldn't be surprised if its an actual 8k for UNH.

ISUr is the better team, but add the travel and the dungeon magic, this one will be a doozy!!!!!

xeyebrowx

Then why were they seeded below UNH?

Mattymc727
December 16th, 2014, 01:01 PM
xeyebrowx

Then why were they seeded below UNH?

Why are we still arguing over the seeds????

The committe already came out and said they favored a team with no FCS losses over a team with 1 FCS loss. I dont agree with it, you dont agree with it, but thats what happened. NDSU had a better resume than UNH, but for some reason that was the committees deciding factor. ISUr didnt play an FBS team, and they had 1 FCS loss, thats why the committe gave UNH a better seed, even though most AGS posters are smart enough to see more in the details.

Now, all this is conjecture until the two teams meet Saturday. Perhaps UNH actually IS deserving of their seed...

Houndawg
December 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM

I think they're close on a neutral field, but the game isn't on a neutral field and ISU had a long road trip last week. I think ISU has an edge overall at the skill positions, but that the intangibles lean UNH's way. Special teams will be huge.

hebmskebm
December 16th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Hey ISU people, was their any reasoning behind you guys playing an 11-game (in a 12 game year), no FBS schedule? Was that planned or just something that happened? Nothing wrong with that, it's just rare to see in today's FCS outside of the Ivies, PL, and PFL.

UNH Fanboi
December 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Hey ISU people, was their any reasoning behind you guys playing an 11-game (in a 12 game year), no FBS schedule? Was that planned or just something that happened? Nothing wrong with that, it's just rare to see in today's FCS outside of the Ivies, PL, and PFL.

I think I read that they had a game with Ball St. that was bought out.

DaBurds!!
December 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I think I read that they had a game with Ball St. that was bought out.

True story.

BNATION
December 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
I hope the blood of the red birds flows free like the ancient rivers of babylon....

Cleets
December 16th, 2014, 03:03 PM
It is very rare to win 3 consecutive road games
Never mind against competition with strong winning records - the odds are against ISU

In the NFL on the odd occasion when a team has 3 consecutive road games they win damn near zero times
In fact 2 consecutive road games in the NFL and you're looking at a below 20% winning percentage

UNIFanSince1983
December 16th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Never mind against competition with strong winning records - the odds are against ISU

In the NFL on the odd occasion when a team has 3 consecutive road games they win damn near zero times
In fact 2 consecutive road games in the NFL and you're looking at a below 20% winning percentage

This would only be the 2nd consecutive road game which has been done numerous times to make it to the Championship.

gobirds85
December 16th, 2014, 03:17 PM

No argument here regarding three road games, however, ISU is attempting to win two road games in a row. Then, if we are fortunate to win at UNH, we get three weeks off before playing on a neutral site field against someone for all the marbles.

ISU is senior driven team with playoff experience so I do not believe the same factors that might upset a younger team come into play here. UNH is very good at home. Their record speaks for itself. They are the #1 seed in the playoffs. This should be one hell of a game.

I believe NDSDU should handle SHSU rather easily.

Cannot wait for the weekend. GO YOU REDBIRDS!!!

Beachdude
December 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Since my Chant's lost a heartbreaker last week, I don't have dog in this fight. So I get the luxury of watching two really good teams in IS and UNH battle it out, for pure enjoyment of the game. Good luck to both teams!

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM

but can you blame him? we're favored on the road in the national semifinal by the oddsmakers at Vegas. Someone thinks the seeding was a little screwy... this game should have been played at Hancock...

Last week should have. This week should not.

Cleets
December 16th, 2014, 03:36 PM
This would only be the 2nd consecutive road game which has been done numerous times to make it to the Championship.

Indeed... (oops) never mind

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
This is a difficult one for me to call. I would like to see UNH walk away with this, because it will make my Mocs look a half step better to have lost to a finals team, but ISUr seems to be clicking at the right time.

Three keys to a Wildcat victory are 1. Their punter following up the game of his life, with a similar performance. A 90+ yard field is a long way even with the horses ISUr has. 2. Get the big WR going early to soften up the ground game (he had too many drops against UTC). 3. Keep ISUr Offense off the field, The TOP stat isn't everything (look at the Mocs last week), but it is hard to rack up a ton of points when your scoring threats are sitting on the sidelines.

The Keys to a ISUr Victory are pretty simple....Don't let UNH do the above 3 things.

Good luck to both teams....I'm hoping for an exciting one.

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Keep in mind the seeds are based on the season and don't change and the (opening) Odds are based the teams expected performance by the book, usually based on previous performance....and that line changes based on how much money is laid on each team. With enough money(too lose), I can make VMI a favorite at NDSU....I try not to get too hung up on the lines.

Ivytalk
December 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Illinois State by a whisker. Just because.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 16th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Warning: We went downtown Portsmouth before the game in 2005. One place literally told us we weren't welcome and we got mixed results at the rest. UNH is a hockey school and hockey sportsmanship is very different than football. :D

That said, we also met a lot of great UHN fans over the years and even went to one of their games at Toledo.

I think (hope) we're getting better at the whole sportsmanship think....2005 football sucuss was very new to us and, like Rob said, hockey fans can be a different breed.

Portsmouth is a great town with everything within an easy walk. TJs and State Street Saloon are favorite hang outs of may of my football fan friends. There are other bars that you need to hit. Martingail Warf (great river view at the bar) River House (have the chowder) Surf (great seafood but $$$) Rerahs, Thirsty Moose, Portsmouth Brewery(brew pub), British Beer Factory, you really can't go wrong. Safe travels and enjoy your stay in the sea coast (except for 3.5 hours Saturday afternoon). Any visiting fans would be welcomed at my tail gate. Pm me if you'd like.

caribbeanhen
December 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
weather forecast calling for balmy Caribbean Breeze (as in smack) to make it's way into this thread..... UNH fans are probably the best and most polite fan base internet personalities on AGS, not at all like those old UMASS fans, those NE boys were bad. I don't remember much about Illinois State fans but I'm sure I can provide them with some entertainment.....

Skycop27
December 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM
UNH will play a complete game on both sides of the ball and win the turnover
battle by +3 or +4. UNH will loose the time of possession battle but not the total
yards gained stats. And hopefully miss a PAT for good luck. But as the wise ole
chicken says " It's the scoreboard that counts ". UNH 38 ISU Redbirds 24.
Bring on Sam Houston State!

Redbirdgrad
December 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Keep in mind the seeds are based on the season and don't change and the (opening) Odds are based the teams expected performance by the book, usually based on previous performance....and that line changes based on how much money is laid on each team. With enough money(too lose), I can make VMI a favorite at NDSU....I try not to get too hung up on the lines.

Understood that seeds are not changed throughout the playoffs... has nothing to do with my comment. I truly believe Illinois State had a better argument for a higher seed than both New Hampshire and Eastern Washington though. We've proved one already, time to prove the other.

Regarding the spread though, lines are made based on the book's idea of public perception and to try and get even money on both sides. If Vegas has the line even, they think the sharps and squares would both bring money evenly on both sides of the matchup. They give points not because they think one side is stronger than another, but because they think the combination of bets will tilt towards one side of the matchup. However, it's very telling when they favor a road team, especially one that is seeded lower than the home team. You know the squares are going to bring money on the points, the home team, and the #1 seed, but they know they're going to get enough money from the sharps, and the leftover squares to make this line even money for Vegas.

When you see road favorites, this late in a tourney, with seeding not favoring that road team... it means a lot of sharp money is going to come in on that side once the line creeps closer to 0. To me, and to the casual observer, that translates into Vegas favoring Illinois State in this one... and pretty heavily.

Redbird 4th & short
December 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM

1st round .. 3 MVFC teams had to win play in games to round of 16, and won all 3:

- SDSU (4th place in MVFC) went on road and won at Mont St (tied for 2nd place in Big Sky) in near zero temps
- InSU (5th place in MVFC) went on road and won at EKU (2nd place OVC) and spotted them 18 before blitzing the, with 36 straight
- UNI (3rd place in MVFC) played at home and destroyed SF Austin 44-10, same SF Austin that beat SHSU (final 4) by 14

2nd round

- NDSU (1st place tie MVFC) beat SDSU by 3 .. so SDSU was eliminated by another MVFC
- InSU went on road again and lost to tough Chattanooga; same Chattanooga that pretty well manhandled UNH, only to lose due to special teams
- key stats: Total yards 566 to 328, 1st downs 27 to 13, TOP was 3
- ISUr (1st place tie in MVFC) hosted UNI and avenged their only regular season loss, winning 41-21. UNI had one of the top defense in the country against the 2nd ranked strength of schedule in FCS

3rd round

- NDSU hosted and defeated Coastal by 7 .. Coastal had a real nice game plan. NDSU is very good but not the team they were a year ago. Lost head coach and many seniors
- ISUr went on road to defeat EWU 59 - 46 .. note, it was not a game for 3 qtrs; ISU went into prevent mode and EWU started airing it out in Q4 getting more than half their points, yards, and first downs in Q4 alone. prior to that, it was not

So 3-0 in 1st round, 2-3 in 2nd round, and 2-0 in 3rd round .. so 23-1 in regular season, and now 7-3 in playoffs against best teams in country, with 2 of those 3 losses to MVFC teams, and all 3 losses on the road to ranked teams. So technically 7-1 in playoffs to non-MVFC teams.

Note, South Dakota has gone 0-8 in MVFC games each of last 2 seasons. This years their average loss in MVFC was 22 points. They played 2 Big Sky teams that competed for conference title late into season: NAU (5-3) lost to SD (0-8) by 7, and Montana (6-2) beat SD (0-8) by just 8. For entire year, we went 9-1 against Big Sky with only loss being SD (0-8) to Montana (6-2).

We also were very competitive against FBS teams, but that requires too much explanation; but other than South Dakota, there were many competitive games against FBS teams. This is why both Sagarin and Massey rank our teams so high .. by far, the toughest SOS, and the best records against the toughest SOS. All objective ranking systems sow similar rankings and SOS.

The strength of MVFC is our run/pass balance and our offense/defense balance; that and our depth from top to bottom, no other conference comes close to us. This is not to say, we can't have an off day like InSU against Chattanooga (off day and bad match up), but we are 30-2 against FCS teams non-MVFC, including 7-1 in playoffs.

Redbird 4th & short
December 16th, 2014, 10:33 PM
1st round .. 3 MVFC teams had to win play in games to round of 16, and won all 3:

- SDSU (4th place in MVFC) went on road and won at Mont St (tied for 2nd place in Big Sky) in near zero temps
- InSU (5th place in MVFC) went on road and won at EKU (2nd place OVC) and spotted them 18 before blitzing the, with 36 straight
- UNI (3rd place in MVFC) played at home and destroyed SF Austin 44-10, same SF Austin that beat SHSU (final 4) by 14

2nd round

- NDSU (1st place tie MVFC) beat SDSU by 3 .. so SDSU was eliminated by another MVFC
- InSU went on road again and lost to tough Chattanooga; same Chattanooga that pretty well manhandled UNH, only to lose due to special teams
- ISUr (1st place tie in MVFC) hosted UNI and avenged their only regular season loss, winning 41-21. UNI had one of the top defense in the country against the 2nd ranked strength of schedule in FCS

3rd round

- NDSU hosted and defeated Coastal by 7 .. Coastal had a real nice game plan. NDSU is very good but not the team they were a year ago. Lost head coach and many seniors
- ISUr went on road to defeat EWU 59 - 46 .. note, it was not a game for 3 qtrs; ISU went into prevent mode and EWU started airing it out in Q4 getting more than half their points, yards, and first downs in Q4 alone. prior to that, it was not

So 3-0 in 1st round, 2-3 in 2nd round, and 2-0 in 3rd round .. so 23-1 in regular season, and now 7-3 in playoffs against best teams in country, with 2 of those 3 losses to MVFC teams, and all 3 losses on the road to ranked teams. So technically 7-1 in playoffs to non-MVFC teams.

Note, South Dakota has gone 0-8 in MVFC games each of last 2 seasons. This years their average loss in MVFC was 22 points. They played 2 Big Sky teams that competed for conference title late into season: NAU (5-3) lost to SD (0-8) by 7, and Montana (6-2) beat SD (0-8) by just 8. For entire year, we went 9-1 against Big Sky with only loss being SD (0-8) to Montana (6-2).

We also were very competitive against FBS teams, but that requires too much explanation; but other than South Dakota, there were many competitive games against FBS teams. This is why both Sagarin and Massey rank our teams so high .. by far, the toughest SOS, and the best records against the toughest SOS. All objective ranking systems sow similar rankings and SOS.

The strength of MVFC is our run/pass balance and our offense/defense balance; that and our depth from top to bottom, no other conference comes close to us. This is not to say, we can't have an off day like InSU against Chattanooga (off day and bad match up), but we are 30-2 against FCS teams non-MVFC, including 7-1 in playoffs.
UNH shows a lot of similar results statistically, and has strong special teams given them field position advantage. The difference is, we have done this against a much tougher SOS, and we are peaking. In the end, our team speed and size will wear down UNH; that and we have too many weapons on offense behind a big experience OL.

Redbirds win 38-24

Redbird Michael
December 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I think 4th hit the nail on the head. ISU is peaking right now. Tre had a learning curve to deal with early in the season and made a lot of mistakes, but just look at his stats the past five games or so. He has this offense down now and has been lights out good.

I don't know much about New Hampshire so I won't disrespect them and say we are better, but I do know that ISU just handed it to two great programs in UNI and EWU in the past two weeks. If you watch the EWU game, you know that game wasn't as close as the final score, it was a blowout from the first quarter on, then EWU got some garbage points a la Jay Cutler.

I think this is going to be a great game and I have no doubt both teams will absolutely bring it. Some UNI fan was talking about ISU playing the "disrespect" card.

*Disrespect is having your coach take you from 5-6 to 12-1 and into the semi finals and not be in the top 5 of Coach of the Year votes.

*Disrespect is having the 2nd leading rusher in D1 behind Melvin Gordon, while leading your team to the Semi Finals and NOT being a finalist for the Payton Award OR being named 1st team All American (even tho a guy you beat out for MVFC offensive player of the year is named).

I love that this team has a chip on it's shoulder and will bring that chip to New Hampshire this weekend.

birdsflyhigh
December 17th, 2014, 12:29 AM
The ISU Redbirds are indeed peaking at the right time, and they are going into New Hampshire with a full head of steam. Agree that ISU will have a BIG chip on their shoulders after all the late season awards STILL didn't show the Redbirds any love. The Birds will just have to take care of business on the field...YES!

Go get 'em Redbirds!! :)

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2014, 12:34 AM
The ISU Redbirds are indeed peaking at the right time, and they are going into New Hampshire with a full head of steam. Agree that ISU will have a BIG chip on their shoulders after all the late season awards STILL didn't show the Redbirds any love. The Birds will just have to take care of business on the field...YES!

Go get 'em Redbirds!! :)

Which awards were you hoping for? I know the Redbirds had the most players on the All-MVFC list.

MTfan4life
December 17th, 2014, 01:13 AM
...asks the guy from University of Montana. You might start by getting the university name correct. It is Illinois State University, not ISU-Normal.

Umm, I don't think you got the point of my post.

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM

2nd round

3rd round

So you're saying the MVFC is good? Thanks, that has not been previously discussed in this forum.

Terry2889
December 17th, 2014, 05:57 AM
It obviously highly unlikely, but if NDSU and ISU were to both lose this weekend I'm afraid that MVFC fans would have nothing to talk about and that 95% of the space filled up on this board of talk regarding the MVFC's dominance would have to be dedicated to other topics...

windwalker
December 17th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I remember when it was ISNU. Illinois State Normal University.

Mattymc727
December 17th, 2014, 06:28 AM
It obviously highly unlikely, but if NDSU and ISU were to both lose this weekend I'm afraid that MVFC fans would have nothing to talk about and that 95% of the space filled up on this board of talk regarding the MVFC's dominance would have to be dedicated to other topics...

The championship thread might only get to 5 pages....

citdog
December 17th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I remember when it was ISNU. Illinois State Normal University.

Carpetbagger

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 07:18 AM
So you're saying the MVFC is good? Thanks, that has not been previously discussed in this forum.

I was responding to post that said with 5 MVFC teams in tournament, we were bound to have 2 in final 4.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by aedavisnh http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2199006#post2199006)

Mattymc727
December 17th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I was responding to post that said with 5 MVFC teams in tournament, we were bound to have 2 in final 4.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by aedavisnh http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2199006#post2199006)

So what should the committee have done? Make sure that MVFC teams should never match up in the playoffs and we have 4 MVFC teams in the semi-finals? This happens every year, UNH played Maine last year and has had to play UMass and Villanova in the playoffs before, its something the power conferences have to live with. The very fact that CCU went into Fargo and gave the Bison a game is proof that anybody can beat anybody, and the MVFC isnt the SEC. This is the FCS playoffs, not the MVFC playoffs, that was the regular season.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 07:25 AM

also note, I am brand new to this board and have never followed it. so I wouldn't know how much MVFC talk there has been.

But the numbers and objective sources speak for themselves the last 4 years. And as a conference than usually only gets 2 teams in tournament, same as NEC, Patriot, MEAC, etc .. we're a little tired of getting screwed the last 4 years. Obviously, you wouldn't follow it like we would since we got screwed out of much deserved bid in 2011, when MVFC got 2 teams and CAA got 5 teams in field of 20 .. well, you'll have to just forgive the chip on our shoulder. I think it is safe to say we're a tad stronger than NEC, MEAC, and Patriot.

All the objective polls have supported notion that MVFC has been the strongest conference for 4 years now. Yet until we go 23-1, we get treated like NEC, MEAC, and Patriot. Been more than a little frustrating for us.

Mattymc727
December 17th, 2014, 07:27 AM
How did the MVFC get screwed last year? The conference ate itself. Youngstown? It lost its last three games of the year, W&M could have had a case last year if Youngstown was to be considered.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 07:31 AM
So what should the committee have done? Make sure that MVFC teams should never match up in the playoffs and we have 4 MVFC teams in the semi-finals? This happens every year, UNH played Maine last year and has had to play UMass and Villanova in the playoffs before, its something the power conferences have to live with. The very fact that CCU went into Fargo and gave the Bison a game is proof that anybody can beat anybody, and the MVFC isnt the SEC. This is the FCS playoffs, not the MVFC playoffs, that was the regular season.
Committee took very good care of CAA in 2011 .. having 5 teams in the tournament, while MVFC only got 2 teams, both ranked in Top 5. ISU was left home that year. And CAA got to play 5 non-CAA teams in round of 16. So they could have had 5 in round of 8 .. they went 1-4.

But they were very well taken care of. Scales have finally started to even out after 3 year (2011-13) of MVFC get short end of stick.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Committee took very good care of CAA in 2011 .. having 5 teams in the tournament, while MVFC only got 2 teams, both ranked in Top 5. ISU was left home that year. And CAA got to play 5 non-CAA teams in round of 16. So they could have had 5 in round of 8 .. they went 1-4.

But they were very well taken care of. Scales have finally started to even out after 3 year (2011-13) of MVFC get short end of stick.

Meant to say, there was field of 20, with 11 auto bids. So CAA got 4 of 9 at large bids.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
It always runs in cycles...the reality is that even if you send the entire conference to the playoffs, only 2 teams get to Frisco and out of the teams your conference sends, there are probably only 2 that have a chance of getting to Frisco. This year the seeds looked fair, I can't complain about the teams that were in, all deserved to be there...maybe one or two got left out, but who do you replace from the field? Once the committe seeds the 8 teams they then fill in the blanks with regional schools...its just the way the cookie crumbles. The CAA got 5 teams in a few years ago, but look at a map, there were plenty of OOC teams for them to play near by....The MVFC is kind of on a geographical Island, as far as deserving FCS teams go... the committee tries to make it as bus friendly as possible and the conference geographic footprint requires your to play each other.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
you could also argue that the committee did you a favor by making sure you had at least two teams to advance...when 5 teams play in 3 games you are guarenteed at least 2 in the next round. It's all about your outlook. Remember the CAA went 1-4 in four games.

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 07:53 AM
also note, I am brand new to this board and have never followed it. so I wouldn't know how much MVFC talk there has been.

You may be new here, but the topic of this tread is UNH vs. ISU, not the MVFC vs. the world. Try staying on topic instead of ranting about whatever is on your mind and your posts will be better received.

WrenFGun
December 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Didn't Illinois State lose to EIU that year? I remember thinking they might be snubbed, but I thought that was the likely reason if I recall. The MVFC is the premier conference in the FCS right now, but like others have said, it ebbs and flows. I thought NDSU was the clear #1 seed, but I think UNH had every right to the #2 seed having gone undefeated against FCS competition. I also thought JSU had a pretty good claim for a top 2 seed, despite losing in their first game. I was a tad surprised EWU ranked over ISU-r, too.

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Didn't Illinois State lose to EIU that year? I remember thinking they might be snubbed, but I thought that was the likely reason if I recall. The MVFC is the premier conference in the FCS right now, but like others have said, it ebbs and flows. I thought NDSU was the clear #1 seed, but I think UNH had every right to the #2 seed having gone undefeated against FCS competition. I also thought JSU had a pretty good claim for a top 2 seed, despite losing in their first game. I was a tad surprised EWU ranked over ISU-r, too.

Yes, they were 7-4 (all FCS losses and no FBS game) with a loss to 2-9 EIU, the last place team in the OVC, back when the OVC was on its 0 for the decade playoff losing streak. Also, the MVFC was nowhere near as good in 2011 as they are now. UNI got blown out 48-10 by Montana in the QFs. Yes, the CAA sucked that year too, but that's irrelevant. The fact that they are outraged at being "snubbed" that year shows what kind of people we are dealing with.

WrenFGun
December 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Yes, they were 7-4 (all FCS losses and no FBS game) with a loss to 2-9 EIU, the last place team in the OVC, back when the OVC was on its 0 for the decade playoff losing streak. Also, the MVFC was nowhere near as good in 2011 as they are now. UNI got blown out 48-10 by Montana in the QFs. Yes, the CAA sucked that year too, but that's irrelevant. The fact that they are outraged at being "snubbed" that year shows what kind of people we are dealing with.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. There are always fans on both sides of the field that go a little bit crazy come playoff time. There have been plenty of level-headed, reasonable ISU-r fans that are concerned with UNH as we are with them.

That said, UNH has been pretty fortunate come playoff selection time and hasn't had to deal with that taste in our mouths. Getting in a few years ago after getting absolutely obliterated by Towson [AND GETTING a BYE!] is certainly a good example of our good fortune. We were also basically the first 7 win DI team in the new era to get in, when we faced [and almost beat] Northern Iowa in 2007. There was plenty of opportunity for us to miss the playoffs in both of those instances, but we made it both times.

Redbird Michael
December 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Which awards were you hoping for? I know the Redbirds had the most players on the All-MVFC list.

We are referring to national awards, not MVFC. I'm not even saying we should have won them, but Spack finishing 6th in Coach of the Year and Coprich not even a finalist for Payton is a joke.

Gangtackle11
December 17th, 2014, 09:50 AM
ILLINOIS STATE vs. NEW HAMPSHIRE!

ILLINOIS STATE is weighing in with a rating of 88.1

NEW HAMPSHIRE is weighing in with a rating of 80.3

According to the Born Power Index, ILLINOIS STATE is projected to be 7.8 points stronger than NEW HAMPSHIRE

Please keep in mind that this index is purely mathematical. The Spread calculator uses the current ratings to make the predictions. However, the Born Power Index tabbed the victor in 79.7 % of the 23704 games considered.

BNATION
December 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
The red birds will fall like the berlin wall on saturday. A massacre is building.....

BNATION
December 17th, 2014, 09:58 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpVurJhbSGwurBR09lVi4bDUPhszNv4 YwvLf5bq-RHPelOyBrluUM4dMg (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/url?url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/havana_affair/2605063155/&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=IaiRVN3YGY2MyASxz4KgAw&ved=0CB4Q9QEwBA&usg=AFQjCNEB3fBLZcp5MQIkmW9yCc2wLcIrGQ)

birdsflyhigh
December 17th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I look for NDSU to absolutely blow Sam Houston off the field in a couple of days.

BNATION
December 17th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I look for NDSU to absolutely blow Sam Houston off the field in a couple of days.

Just wanted to rile y'all up a bit. I actually think I state will roll in this one. I dissagree as NDSU hasnt blown hardly anyone out all year.

PMBison
December 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Just wanted to rile y'all up a bit. I actually think I state will roll in this one. I dissagree as NDSU hasnt blown hardly anyone out all year.

Not saying we will blow SHSU out, but NDSU has won 7 games this year by 20 or more points. I would personally consider those blowouts. And actually the Indiana St. game was a blowout as well event thought we only won by 17 points due to a late meaningless fumble that was returned about 70 yards.

BNATION
December 17th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Not saying we will blow SHSU out, but NDSU has won 7 games this year by 20 or more points. I would personally consider those blowouts. And actually the Indiana St. game was a blowout as well event thought we only won by 17 points due to a late meaningless fumble that was returned about 70 yards.

6 out of 7 were complete garbage cans. Montana being one of those 6. Good teams were all close games. NDSU is a very solid team. Regardless I believe that ISU will beat the bison in Frisco if it comes to that.

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM
The fact that they are outraged at being "snubbed" that year shows what kind of people we are dealing with.

They? It's one poster. xlolx

PMBison
December 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM
6 out of 7 were complete garbage cans. Montana being one of those 6. Good teams were all close games. NDSU is a very solid team. Regardless I believe that ISU will beat the bison in Frisco if it comes to that.

I don't think I would consider many of those teams garbage. Iowa St, SDSU, Missouri St., Youngstown State. Youngstown wasn't too far from making the playoffs and I think the MVFC has pretty much proven that there isn't a single team from that conference that should be taken lightly. Even USD gave a lot of teams some close games. Iowa St. while not a good FBS team is hardly awful when placed in the world of FCS. And SDSU pretty much speaks for itself.

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I think that's a bit of an overstatement. There are always fans on both sides of the field that go a little bit crazy come playoff time. There have been plenty of level-headed, reasonable ISU-r fans that are concerned with UNH as we are with them.

This Redbird poster wasn't too popular on our board. He always feels slighted and is definitely one ofthe Redbird fans with a syndrome. :)

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2014, 11:56 AM
We are referring to national awards, not MVFC. I'm not even saying we should have won them, but Spack finishing 6th in Coach of the Year and Coprich not even a finalist for Payton is a joke.

Zenner wasn't even Payton finalist. A lot of that could be your SIDs fault.

In a national award list for COY 6th seems fairly reasonable. Not everyone focuses on the MVFC.

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 12:29 PM
They? It's one poster. xlolx

There's a poster with another screen name who came on the UNH board and mentioned 2011 like it is a commonly held grievance amongst ISU fans. But you're right, I should not lump all ISU posters together.

AmsterBison
December 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM

You know what eases the pain of not getting post-season awards? National championship trophies.. :)

I'd take more pride in the prizes that are won on the field rather than via a vote.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 01:18 PM

I didn't say that. In fact, I have said on our own fan board many times, that the committee finally did a credible job this year. And I noted that each conference were delat same cards as far as in-conference games in 2nd round, but not 1st round. They must have had a differebt policy back in 2011 when 5 CAA teams were allowed into round of 16 without having to play each other. And yes, that door swings both ways.

But it was long overdue after 3 years of the committee completely overlooking the MVFC and treating the best FCS conference the same as the many substandard conferences. Yes, I/we have a chip on our shoulders, but there is reason for it and lots of objective supporting data. I don;t expect you woudl take up our cause, but we have had to fight for our conference to get this point finally this year.

Mattymc727
December 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM
UNH game notes are up:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/2014-15/files/FB_notes_NCAAsemi.pdf

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Heart is with UNH but the head is thinking Illinois state will prevail....... but should be a great game, I don't think UNH if they win, will be able to slay the Bizun but Illinois State can...

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 09:08 PM
It always runs in cycles...the reality is that even if you send the entire conference to the playoffs, only 2 teams get to Frisco and out of the teams your conference sends, there are probably only 2 that have a chance of getting to Frisco. This year the seeds looked fair, I can't complain about the teams that were in, all deserved to be there...maybe one or two got left out, but who do you replace from the field? Once the committe seeds the 8 teams they then fill in the blanks with regional schools...its just the way the cookie crumbles. The CAA got 5 teams in a few years ago, but look at a map, there were plenty of OOC teams for them to play near by....The MVFC is kind of on a geographical Island, as far as deserving FCS teams go... the committee tries to make it as bus friendly as possible and the conference geographic footprint requires your to play each other.
I agree it was much more fair this year. But from where we sit, it was not so fair the prior 3 years.

Just as an example, look up EKU in 2011 and then ISU .. everyone says our loss to EIU in week 1 sealed our fate for year. I could cite many other examples from 2011-13. But research just that one … hint $$$ had a lot to do with that one. It was corrupt what went on in that specific situation. And if you come to understand what went down there. Is there any reason to believe other less blatant crap doesn't go on ?

Again, FCS selection committee finally got it close to right and mostly fair this year. The prior 3 years, from where we sit, it was bad. Do you really think we deserved same # of teams as MEAC, NEC, and Patriot ? And this year we get 5 teams and go 7-3 ? With 2 losses to our own MVFC teams ? This is not a 1 year phenomenon. This has been going o for 4 years.

Look up EKU bid in 2011 .. a complete sham.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Heart is with UNH but the head is thinking Illinois state will prevail....... but should be a great game, I don't think UNH if they win, will be able to slay the Bizun but Illinois State can...

Bison barely got by CCU and everyone thought they were average all season despite having a great record. not saying we couldnt have an all MVFC final and not saying that NDSU and ISUr arent the best two teams because they could be, but they are not as untouchable as they were last year by a long shot...

RollBirds
December 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Bison barely got by CCU and everyone thought they were average all season despite having a great record. not saying we couldnt have an all MVFC final and not saying that NDSU and ISUr arent the best two teams because they could be, but they are not as untouchable as they were last year by a long shot...

I mean ILSTU was touched last year... A lot.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I agree it was much more fair this year. But from where we sit, it was not so fair the prior 3 years.

Just as an example, look up EKU in 2011 and then ISU .. everyone says our loss to EIU in week 1 sealed our fate for year. I could cite many other examples from 2011-13. But research just that one … hint $$$ had a lot to do with that one. It was corrupt what went on in that specific situation. And if you come to understand what went down there. Is there any reason to believe other less blatant crap doesn't go on ?

Again, FCS selection committee finally got it close to right and mostly fair this year. The prior 3 years, from where we sit, it was bad. Do you really think we deserved same # of teams as MEAC, NEC, and Patriot ? And this year we get 5 teams and go 7-3 ? With 2 losses to our own MVFC teams ? This is not a 1 year phenomenon. This has been going o for 4 years.

Look up EKU bid in 2011 .. a complete sham.

meant to add this link

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/107-was-it-espn-that-chose-eastern-kentucky-for-the-field

Skycop27
December 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Reports from todays UNH practice was that they were practicing the fumble-ruskie play
with a pitch back to the back-up quarterback who threw to a wide open left tackle
eligible receiver.

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 10:22 PM
meant to add this link http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/107-was-it-espn-that-chose-eastern-kentucky-for-the-field HAHAHA! That column by long time AGS poster "Lehigh Football Nation" was widely mocked when it came out and it was later proven that JMU's AD simply forgot to submit bids for the playoffs. EKU got the home game by default, not because the Committee was strongarmed by ESPN.

Skycop27
December 17th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Reports from todays UNH practice was that they were practicing the fumble-ruskie play
with a pitch back to the back-up quarterback who threw to a wide open left tackle
eligible receiver.

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM
20357.....YEAH......'CATS ARE SLY......DRAW CARDS...FROM BOTTOM O' DECK.......BE READY BIRDIES.......YA'S...HAVE NO IDEAR.....AWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER......'OL HAL

gobirds85
December 17th, 2014, 11:16 PM
HAHAHA! That column by long time AGS poster "Lehigh Football Nation" was widely mocked when it came out and it was later proven that JMU's AD simply forgot to submit bids for the playoffs. EKU got the home game by default, not because the Committee was strongarmed by ESPN.

Just asking...how was it proven that the JMU AD simply forgot to submit a bid?

UNH Fanboi
December 17th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Just asking...how was it proven that the JMU AD simply forgot to submit a bid? Now that I look back at, what happened in 2011 was that JMU's AD put in a stingy bid for the first round and EKU put in a large bid that was subsidized by the OVC. I could have sworn there was a year in which an AD simply didn't bid. Anyone remember? In any event, the idea that the Committee was strong-armed by ESPN is still laughable.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 12:47 AM
HAHAHA! That column by long time AGS poster "Lehigh Football Nation" was widely mocked when it came out and it was later proven that JMU's AD simply forgot to submit bids for the playoffs. EKU got the home game by default, not because the Committee was strongarmed by ESPN.

Don't let facts get in the way. xlolx

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Just asking...how was it proven that the JMU AD simply forgot to submit a bid?
They didn't forget but,

"This year’s bid was significantly higher than the $46,768.50 JMU bid in 2011. That year, JMU was outbid and had to travel to play Eastern Kentucky University."

http://www.breezejmu.org/sports/article_e1ec2cd4-801f-11e4-97e1-2bd4429239da.html

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 06:22 AM
UNH embracing the underdog role too:

“We embrace that,” senior All American wide receiver R.J. Harris said. “Thank you. Thank you, Sports Network for that. Thank you everyone who’s out there doubting us.”

“That’s OK with us,” Harris said. “In the Selection Show, there was nothing for New Hampshire. Nothing. No. 1 team in the playoffs, nothing. That’s the way we like it. That’s fine. We’ll fly under the radar. We’re going to play our game. We’re going to practice the way we practice. We’re not taking anything easy. We’re not changing anything up. We’re going to go out there and play our game and if you doubt us, that’s on you. We’re not getting arrogant, we’re not getting cocky, we’re just going out there and playing our game.
“We’ve always had a chip on our shoulder since day one and we’re going to continue to.”

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sports/localsports/1053614-457/unh-football-is-underdog-vs.-illinois-state.html

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I read that article and really enjoyed it! I actually like that UNH is being considered the underdog here. It allows them to use that as fuel, as well as practice extra hard with that in the back of their minds. I think we saw it against Stony Brook where they didnt take their opponent seriously, and it almost seriously cost them. I think it takes a little bit of the pressure off.

superman7515
December 18th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Now that I look back at, what happened in 2011 was that JMU's AD put in a stingy bid for the first round and EKU put in a large bid that was subsidized by the OVC. I could have sworn there was a year in which an AD simply didn't bid. Anyone remember? In any event, the idea that the Committee was strong-armed by ESPN is still laughable.

I believe you're thinking of Georgia Southern in 2010. The AD (Sam Baker at the time) forgot that bids were due until he got an email reminder the day before. Then said he "misinterpreted" the rules and thought he would get to change his bids and they would re-open as the playoffs went on, even though that had never happened before or since. Then once everyone got up in arms, he later denied ever receiving the first set of emails from the NCAA about the bids, which is why he was submitting at the last minute. When the NCAA showed they had sent them, he then requested to be able to bid late due to extenuating circumstances, but called those extenuating circumstances "private" and didn't share them with the NCAA, only the school Pres. Obviously, the NCAA denied the request.

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
What website do you guys use to find the vegas odds on this game? I can't find it anywhere!

Bisonator
December 18th, 2014, 09:09 AM
What website do you guys use to find the vegas odds on this game? I can't find it anywhere!
5dimes has ISU a 6 1/2 point favorite.

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 09:10 AM
5dimes has ISU a 6 1/2 point favorite.

Thank you!

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tak15VMcVp4

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Wow, Coach is a pretty smart guy in my book...I have the same keys to the win as he does!

YoUDeeMan
December 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hey, does anyone know how ISU matches up with Chattanooga (or whatever that team that almost beat UNH was called)?

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Hey, does anyone know how ISU matches up with Chattanooga (or whatever that team that almost beat UNH was called)?

Being that you are a UD fan, I'll try to keep this simple so you can understand it.

The two teams are very similar...almost scary similar...

Offense - I'd give ISU the slight edge on O, with the QB slot being the one glaring difference...Huesman is leaps and bounds better than anybody ISUr can put on the field...They have a running game that is slightly better than UTCs and a very experienced OL. Advantage ISUr.

Defense - The edge goes to the Mocs on this one. Both teams have a talented but young secondary and both teams seem solid up front...but ISU doesn't have Tull or Lott...Advantage Mocs

Special Teams - Based on last weeks UTC performance....Advantage ISUr. I don't care who they put out there or how they do, ISUr!!!

The key to UNH winning is to get their all-world WR in the game in a hurry to soften up the run (he can't have the drops he had last week), having their punter continue to play lights out by flipping the field and keeping ISUr's scoring threats on the sideline by winning the TOP. Convert 3rd downs and move the chains, move the chains, move the chains....

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 11:23 AM
UNH really just needs to do better on offense. The defense will give up points, no doubt. But If UNH can have a lot less 3 and outs and hold more time of possession, it will be a tight game. UNH was something like 3-12 on 3rd downs against Chattanooga, which made the TOP very lopsided.

YoUDeeMan
December 18th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Milquetoast, thanks for the response.

Glad you edited that defensive summary...you had this UD fan wondering how simple you made your summary.

Should be a good game. I think the Mocs steal this one.

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM
UNH really just needs to do better on offense. The defense will give up points, no doubt. But If UNH can have a lot less 3 and outs and hold more time of possession, it will be a tight game. UNH was something like 3-12 on 3rd downs against Chattanooga, which made the TOP very lopsided.

Until I looked at the stats the other night I didnt realize how lopsided our offenses had been. They are going to need to be 100% on point in order to get it done on saturday.

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Until I looked at the stats the other night I didnt realize how lopsided our offenses had been. They are going to need to be 100% on point in order to get it done on saturday.

It was driving us nuts in the stands the other night. That whole first half seemed like UNH was asleep on offense. Even the playcalling was questionable. I agree, UNH will need a much better start offensively Saturday.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I don't think Illinois State and Chattanooga are all that similar. They both have high octane offenses with mobile QBs, but they aren't anywhere near the same schemes.

On offense Illinois State does not call Roberson's # much when it comes to running. He can do it, but he doesn't have to. Their run game is also downhill where Chatty wants to work sideline to sideline. Also, Huesman is not better than Roberson.

Illinois State reminds me a lot of Chattanooga in that they both have strong DLs and the ability to beat them deep in the secondary. If Illinois State DBs can keep RJ in front of them, they should be in the game. If they get torched by big plays it could be a much harder task.

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It was driving us nuts in the stands the other night. That whole first half seemed like UNH was asleep on offense. Even the playcalling was questionable. I agree, UNH will need a much better start offensively Saturday.

I got really sick on friday so I unfortunately couldnt go. I had to watch it from the couch! It did give me the perspective though of hearing the announcers, And i had the same frustrations you did! it seemed as though they would get going and than it would just stop. If they have a start like that again on saturday then they are in big trouble. We will need a really fast start in order to keep up, or hopefully stay ahead. Fall behind VIA three and outs, or turnovers. And it can get out of hand very quickly!

Catsfan90
December 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I don't think Illinois State and Chattanooga are all that similar. They both have high octane offenses with mobile QBs, but they aren't anywhere near the same schemes.

On offense Illinois State does not call Roberson's # much when it comes to running. He can do it, but he doesn't have to. Their run game is also downhill where Chatty wants to work sideline to sideline. Also, Huesman is not better than Roberson.

Illinois State reminds me a lot of Chattanooga in that they both have strong DLs and the ability to beat them deep in the secondary. If Illinois State DBs can keep RJ in front of them, they should be in the game. If they get torched by big plays it could be a much harder task.

Is there any team you would compare them to more? or are they just very unique?

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Milquetoast, thanks for the response.

Glad you edited that defensive summary...you had this UD fan wondering how simple you made your summary.

Should be a good game. I think the Mocs steal this one.

See look at that a nice Chattanooga fan explained it for you nicely. Thanks for being a fat **** though, don't you have anything better to do? Oh wait you don't since Delaware blows this year and can't make the playoffs. So **** you clucku.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Is there any team you would compare them to more? or are they just very unique?

I think offensively I would compare them most to EWU, but obviously better. It's a balanced game. If you sell out to stop the run, Roberson has a great arm and is very accurate. On the flip side, Coprich will run all over the place if you don't keep him in check. Curious to see what UNH decides to do defensively.

UNH72Plus
December 18th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I couldn't find a two deep for the Redbirds, but judging from the roster, there defensive guys up front are a bit undersized, not unlike Chatty. They have one DL at 300 and another at 285, with rest being 270 or less. The DE's are listed at 215-265 and the LB's at 210-230. I assume, like Chatty, they go for quickness over bulk. As for their DB's they gave up 295 yards to a weak South Dakota passing attack (86th in the FCS) and got torched for 425 yards by EWU last week. I know a lot of people will note that EWU was #2 in passing and that a lot of the yardage came at the end of the game, but EWU played against 7 of the worst past defense team in the FCS (88, 99, 115, 116, 117, 118, & 119) so their vaunted passing attack is somewhat over rated, and the late yardage, for the most part, came on deep routes to wide open receivers.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM
what should give UNH fans some hope is that the QB Goldrich had a very shaky game vs Chatty and UNH still managed to win, what should worry UNH fans is that your QB had a shaky game vs Chatty

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2014, 06:27 PM

The best gauge will be total offensive production against the same defense. The bar is set at 428 yards and 3 TDs.

REALBird
December 18th, 2014, 06:45 PM
The bar has nothing to do with which one is better. Huesman apparently carries more of the load for Chattanooga than Roberson does for ISU. We had a RB who has rushed for over 2000 yds and 28 TD's. Does Chatty have a run game, or is Huesman their run and passing attack?

Roberson can run, but as stated before he is an accurate passer as well. We don't throw to just one receiver, Roberson has a good TE who can block or catch, we have two good receivers in Neblett and Meredith. Late in the season we've been using more 4/5 receiver sets with Jon Marc-Anderson and Jamal Townes to go with the three above.

Pick your poison, stack the box and we can go five wides. Play two deep we can attack with the run. Oh I love the, put a spy on Roberson or Coprich thing too. Remember that TE who blocks well in the trenches, he has 7 TD catches as well.

I watched you guys play Mercer this year, you have a good QB and decent receivers. Didn't really come away impressed with the run game. But maybe you play better against better competition (ISUb & UNH). Either way, the W is what matters. As long as we win, your QB can have the gaudy numbers. For me the best QB will be the one that wins.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Huesman is very good. I should have stated that I didn't think he was better than Roberson, but I also don't think Roberson is way better. Just would take him over Huesman.

Skycop27
December 18th, 2014, 08:22 PM
UNH game plan is in - offensively it's going to be a flat out aerial attack on the ISU secondary.
Fast paced, hurry up offense. Win or die by the pass. Defensively, stop the run first, make ISU
beat you through the air. I guess we see which team has the best air attack (and defense).

R.J. Harris quote " they remind me a lot of Chattanooga, a very good football team".

YoUDeeMan
December 18th, 2014, 08:39 PM
See look at that a nice Chattanooga fan explained it for you nicely. Thanks for being a fat **** though, don't you have anything better to do? Oh wait you don't since Delaware blows this year and can't make the playoffs. So **** you clucku.

Gosh, are you sure your potty mouth isn't violating the terms of service around here?

Seems as though someone has a short, thin fuse. xlolx

WrenFGun
December 18th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Man I am so pumped to be able to watch and enjoy the Friday night game before having to panic all day Saturday for the game. I HATE having the first game like we did last year. I had no interest in the EWU/Towson game after that.

YoUDeeMan
December 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Man I am so pumped to be able to watch and enjoy the Friday night game before having to panic all day Saturday for the game. I HATE having the first game like we did last year. I had no interest in the EWU/Towson game after that.

I believe you guys got jobbed last year.

NDSU had the Saturday noon game...done by 3pm. Then they got to watch/scout UNH and SELA with the 7pm start time.

UNH finishes after 10pm, and probably didn't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning. That effectively reduced or eliminated effective Sunday preparations. Then, they lose another day traveling to NDSU for the Friday game.

I understand home field advantage, but there was no reason to make UNH lose two days of rest and preparation. They could have played that game on Saturday.

Any late Saturday evening game winner should never play the following Friday on the road.

WrenFGun
December 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM

NDSU had the Saturday noon game...done by 3pm. Then they got to watch/scout UNH and SELA with the 7pm start time.

UNH finishes after 10pm, and probably didn't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning. That effectively reduced or eliminated effective Sunday preparations. Then, they lose another day traveling to NDSU for the Friday game.

I understand home field advantage, but there was no reason to make UNH lose two days of rest and preparation. They could have played that game on Saturday.

Any late Saturday evening game winner should never play the following Friday on the road.

In fairness, UNH wasn't beating that NDSU team with a month of rest, so it concerns me less than it should.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 09:43 PM

Do not type around the word censor again. Type up what you want to and let the censor do it's thing. Cluck U had some fun there but it was pretty tame in comparison to what you did there. The FCS Discussion board get rough sometimes but it's the one public board that anyone tooling by can see so keep your level of civility up a notch on this board going forward.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I couldn't find a two deep for the Redbirds, but judging from the roster, there defensive guys up front are a bit undersized, not unlike Chatty. They have one DL at 300 and another at 285, with rest being 270 or less. The DE's are listed at 215-265 and the LB's at 210-230. I assume, like Chatty, they go for quickness over bulk. As for their DB's they gave up 295 yards to a weak South Dakota passing attack (86th in the FCS) and got torched for 425 yards by EWU last week. I know a lot of people will note that EWU was #2 in passing and that a lot of the yardage came at the end of the game, but EWU played against 7 of the worst past defense team in the FCS (88, 99, 115, 116, 117, 118, & 119) so their vaunted passing attack is somewhat over rated, and the late yardage, for the most part, came on deep routes to wide open receivers.
EWU also threw for 475 yards against Univ of Wash (8-5) and lost 59-52. EWU even lead once during 3rd qtr .. we were up 25 after 3 qtrs. So we beat them by more than a Top 30 FBS team.

Also note key stats thru 3 qtrs vs 4th qtr when we went conservative up by 25, and they started launching away; they also recovered and onside kick and scored 2 TDs within 45 seconds.

Thru 3 quarters … 4th qtr

Score: 45 to 20 thru Q3 … 14 to 26 for Q4 alone
1st downs: 23 to 10 … 5 to 13
Total Yards: 388 to 234 … 154 to 286 … more than half of their total yards came in 4th qtr
Pass Yards: 158 to 142 … 48 to 283 .. 2/3rd of their pass yards came in 4th qtr; but we also got 2 picks because they were taking lots of chances
Run Yards: 220 to 92 … 106 to 3

So for 3 qtrs, we completely dominated EWU, but that is a dangerous team to play safe against.

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Gosh, are you sure your potty mouth isn't violating the terms of service around here?

Seems as though someone has a short, thin fuse. xlolx

I guess I do have a short fuze when a simple and very easy to understand question is answered by some sarcastic jerk. I shouldn't be mad though UNH is in the playoffs for the 11th straight season and in the semi's for the second year in a row. UD sucks and will continue to suck for another few years so have fun with that. Most Delaware fans are respectful and rational, can't say the same for you, but like i said you are probably old fat and have nothing better to do than troll and giggle to yourself afterwards. hope I didn't violate any rules this time.

Wofford Dude from Montana
December 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Understand I will be monitored, and understand you need rules.
However you can contact dungeonjoe at the Wofford Message board, and get my posting history.

Anyways, Delaware fans were rude to Wofford fan base back in 2003, to the point of interfering of being able to watch the game.
Should be a good weekend, and plan on enjoying watching 2 teams I have't seen before.
Be interested to see if they can knock off the Bison, unless Sam Houston can pull off the upset.

Thanks

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM

Actually a winter storm had the airport UNH was flying into closed....ended up staying the night in NO. The 6AM flight Sunday morning was then pushed back closer to noon (Pease in NH still closed). The team finally got back to NH after dark on Sunday....so no prep at all. I'm not sure two weeks prep would have helped against last years NDSU team.

UNH72Plus
December 19th, 2014, 07:49 AM
EWU also threw for 475 yards against Univ of Wash (8-5) and lost 59-52. EWU even lead once during 3rd qtr .. we were up 25 after 3 qtrs. So we beat them by more than a Top 30 FBS team.

Also note key stats thru 3 qtrs vs 4th qtr when we went conservative up by 25, and they started launching away; they also recovered and onside kick and scored 2 TDs within 45 seconds.

Thru 3 quarters … 4th qtr

Score: 45 to 20 thru Q3 … 14 to 26 for Q4 alone
1st downs: 23 to 10 … 5 to 13
Total Yards: 388 to 234 … 154 to 286 … more than half of their total yards came in 4th qtr
Pass Yards: 158 to 142 … 48 to 283 .. 2/3rd of their pass yards came in 4th qtr; but we also got 2 picks because they were taking lots of chances
Run Yards: 220 to 92 … 106 to 3

So for 3 qtrs, we completely dominated EWU, but that is a dangerous team to play safe against.

The point I was trying to make is that ISUr was susceptible to the pass game, particularly deep routes over the middle. And for the record, Washington State's pass defense was ranked 124th out of 125 teams in the FBS, giving up an average of 296+ yards per game.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
The point I was trying to make is that ISUr was susceptible to the pass game, particularly deep routes over the middle. And for the record, Washington State's pass defense was ranked 124th out of 125 teams in the FBS, giving up an average of 296+ yards per game.

Washington was 124th, giving up 283 yards per game.

UNH72Plus
December 19th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Washington was 124th, giving up 283 yards per game.

Washington was 121st.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Washington was 121st.

I sorted by yards per game on the espn site. Anyway, EWU played the tough this year and some fans say ISUR was better.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Just to stir things up a bit, I noticed Toledo was #122, giving up 282.4 passing yards per game. xwhistlex

UNH72Plus
December 19th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Just to stir things up a bit, I noticed Toledo was #122, giving up 282.4 passing yards per game. xwhistlex

We try not think about the Toledo game!

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2014, 10:28 AM
We try not think about the Toledo game!

After seein UNH in the Fargodome last year, I was sure you would be Toledo. Must have been just an early season burp.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Their quarterback was a transfer from Alabama and he tore our defence up. If he hasn't have gotten injured, Toledo would have been a contender for a MAC championship.