PDA

View Full Version : This is why the PFL needs a new commissioner

DUPFLFan
November 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Quote from Patty V on Northern Iowa's chances for playoff (from the DesMoines Register)

Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito said the time is right for a 7-4 team to earn an at-large bid.

"I think it's got to happen," Vivirito said Saturday. "There are a lot of opportunities for at-large teams. They can't take untested teams."

Patty - take a 7-4 team over an unbeaten team in your "other" conference?:nono: She has just proved her conflict of interest.

Time for you to resign from the PFL...

nmatsen
November 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Smart lady. I still don't think that a 7 and 4 gets in, no way. I also don't think SD gets in either but who knows? If it came down to a 7-4 team from the Big Sky, A-10 or Gateway vs 11-0 San Diego you need to take the 7-4. Maybe if SD had played a fully funded program and beaten them it would be a different story but without the test we will never know. They should have scheduled UC Davis earlier, that would have helped tremendously.

Dane96
November 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
While agree nmatsen, I see DUPFL's point. This lady is sandbagging one of her own schools by saying an "untested" team should not be let in.

We all know who she is talking about.

In the business world, leaders are born when they step aside, rather than being asked to leave, if the situation warrants it.

nmatsen
November 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I think that she is looking at two schools here clearly, UNI and San Diego. She is the governing body of both schools and she is basically telling the committee that if it were up to her that if it came down to UNI and SD that she feels UNI should get in. She essentially feels that UNI would make a greater impact in the post season. Can anyone disagree with her? By impact I mean best chance to win, not get the most pub. Like I said before, I believe her to be wasting her time as I am sure that UNI will not be in and almost sure that SD won't be in.

DUPFLFan
November 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
nmatsen - my point is simple. It's not whether UNI deserves to get in.

It is simply that when a decision has to be made to support a Gateway team or a PFL team, Patty V will choose the Gateway team.

SHE MUST RESIGN FROM THE PFL NOW!!! Let's get someone in there who has the best interests of the league at heart - not dividing their time.

GannonFan
November 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hey, if you think about it, she's made a good call here. Neither UNI or USD have any business being in the playoffs this year - the way she's couched it, she says at least one of them should be in there and it should be a decision between those two teams. Nice job taking the discussion away from the fact that neither should be in. :nod:

nmatsen
November 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
nmatsen - my point is simple. It's not whether UNI deserves to get in.

It is simply that when a decision has to be made to support a Gateway team or a PFL team, Patty V will choose the Gateway team.

SHE MUST RESIGN FROM THE PFL NOW!!! Let's get someone in there who has the best interests of the league at heart - not dividing their time.

Agreed. It is apparently a serious conflict of interest.

IMO I also think that neither team deserves to play in the playoffs but the comissioner of your league should always put up a fight for you.

henfan
November 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Patty's nomination as commish of the PFL was dictated by the CEOs at member schools, no? If they were displeased with her continued service, they'd replace her, no? Seems like some misplaced aggression here. As a commish, she's only as effective as the PFL's CEOs will allow her to be.

Besides, who cares what Viverito thinks? She isn't involved in the playoff selection process nor is she involved in the scheduling of nonconference games.

DUPFLFan
November 14th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Besides, who cares what Viverito thinks? She isn't involved in the playoff selection process nor is she involved in the scheduling of nonconference games.

Hen... Shouldn't your commissioner be an advocate of your member schools? In this case she is taking sides and that is a conflict of interest.

Torero Tradition
November 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
HUGE CONFLICT OF INTEREST!

dbackjon
November 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Well, then have the PFL member schools pony up the money, and hire a full-time commish......

Until then, stop bitching about it.

DetroitFlyer
November 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that the typical poster on this board can just call up the Presidents of the PFL schools and demand that they hire a new commish.... The fact that USD is the first team from the PFL to ever really desire a bid to the playoffs has clearly pointed out that Patty V. has a strong conflict of interest. If I remember right, she even said on I-AA Waves that if the PFL wanted a bid to the playoffs, she would consider resigning due to the conflict with the Gateway Conference. I have yet to run across a single PFL fan that is satisified with Patty V as our commish. We all seem to agree that she should leave and be replaced with a full time commish that really is an advocate for the PFL. By advocate, I mean someone that will promote the PFL as an equal among I-AA conferences and not someone who will push for a silly and non-viable, non-scholly playoff. The best hope for any of this happening is for USD to keep up the pressure on the other PFL schools to make it happen. I'm afraid that the other PFL schools are not a motivated as USD might be this season....

GannonFan
November 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
By advocate, I mean someone that will promote the PFL as an equal among I-AA conferences and not someone who will push for a silly and non-viable, non-scholly playoff. The best hope for any of this happening is for USD to keep up the pressure on the other PFL schools to make it happen. I'm afraid that the other PFL schools are not a motivated as USD might be this season....

Is the PFL really interested in being seen as an equal among I-AA conferences? You said it yourself, the rest of the PFL has shown no real interest in the playoffs, they seldom play other I-AA conferences (they play much more OOC games against lower classification teams than they do against IAA competition) and San Diego themselves probably has scheduled themselves out of a playoff bid this year by putting two DII teams on the schedule, only having 10 games played by the playoffs, and leaving probably their best OOC team (although just a .500 UC Davis team) to be played after the selections are made. If they wanted the playoffs, they should have not turned down Cal Poly and they should've scheduled UC Davis earlier - where was USD committment to the playoffs when all that went down? Where has the PFL ever really made the point that they want to be an equal with the other, playoff IAA conferences. The fact that they continue to retain this commish is probably the final proof of that - they like her and they don't appear to care that her representation of the Gateway is a conflict of interest.

MylesKnight
November 14th, 2006, 11:25 AM
A person in her position should NEVER have anything that can be considered derogatory to say about any of the schools that she represents as Commissioner of either Conference.

It's definitely looking like the Pioneer Football League has grown to the point where representation at the Commissioner level is needed by someone ONLY interested in the success of the PFL. The fact that this is necessary shows that the conference is taking steps, however small they may be, up the I-AA College Football Ladder.

Ruler 79
November 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Don't beat me to a pulp when I say this: I actually want SDU in. Even if it is at the expense of a more deserving team. Every year some team who deserves to get in will be denied (Youngstown last season and Monmouth 2006).

I want to see what these guys/bigmouths/annoyances/pains in the ass...(you get the idea) can do. If they hold up well then the "Old Gaurd" will eat crow and if SDU gets blown off the field then we will know that their schedule was a joke and how strong the PFL is against top competition. We already know how the NEC held up. Enquiring minds want to know!

BTW Monmouth will beat SDU in the GIC. I think Monmouth could beat some of the teams that will make the big dance!

DetroitFlyer
November 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I do not have a crystal ball or any inside connections to the PFL. But.... The PFL did agree to move the date of the Gridiron Classic which tells me that USD is wielding some influence over the other schools. From a fan's perspective, the PFL has absolutely been part of the problem! There is little doubt that the "old guard" of the PFL was more than content to pretend that they were some unique level of college football that was forced to wear the I-AA moniker.... Fortunately, this seems to be changing ever so slowly. Dayton has been playing scholarship teams for years and now schools like Jacksonville, Davidson, Morehead State, Drake, and USD are getting into the act, sometimes playing multiple games a season against scholarship conferences. If Butler and Valpo continue to improve, I think they would add scholly schools again as well. Yeah, we still have too many lower division games, but other conferences still play them as well. Next year, my team, Dayton has a full PFL slate, a game against Division II Central State and a game against Fordham! I do not know the other game, but I'm betting on Robert Morris. No more Division III Wittenberg!

gobucknell06
November 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I f***ing hate Patty Viverito. She's a total waste of space. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I mean seriously. Who the f*** does she think she is?

All that to say -- I can't believe I-AA would actually allow for an I-AA teams to miss out on the playoffs.

It's almost as injust as declaring two national champions. Well, not even close. But still. The field should include 24 teams, I think.

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
HUGE CONFLICT OF INTEREST!

And yet if her argument were reversed you'd think her **** didn't stink. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

dbackjon
November 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
And yet if her argument were reversed you'd think her **** didn't stink. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

xlolx xlolx :hurray:

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
xlolx xlolx :hurray:

Glad I could make your day, jon.

BTW, are you here yet? :confused:

DUPFLFan
November 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM

:eyebrow: :bang:

Nope - it would still indicate a conflict of interest. Only difference is that all of the Northern Iowa fans and Gateway fans would be posting.

Bottom line (look at my signature) THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ONE PERSON REPRESENTING TWO CONFERENCES IN THE SAME SPORT AT THE SAME LEVEL.

No matter what the conferences involved are..

dbackjon
November 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Glad I could make your day, jon.

BTW, are you here yet? :confused:

Nope - will be in AZ for two weeks after Thanksgiving, then for good after the new Year.

gophoenix
November 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
LOL

Without her, the Pioneer wouldn't even exist and you guys would be in even worse shape.

Way to show gratitude for another conference stepping up to offer you guys something when you had nothing.

DetroitFlyer
November 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I cannot say that I know the details of exactly why Patty V was selected to head the conference. If I were a betting man, I would bet that she was the cheapest option at the time.... I do recall that after our first or second year we needed a new commish and she ended up being the one chosen. MAYBE it was good for the PFL back in 1993 or 1994.... In 2006, it is not good. The PFL should have a dedicated commish. Much has changed in the PFL over the last 14 seasons. The time has come for Patty and the PFL to part ways....

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
:eyebrow: :bang:

Nope - it would still indicate a conflict of interest. Only difference is that all of the Northern Iowa fans and Gateway fans would be posting.

Bottom line (look at my signature) THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ONE PERSON REPRESENTING TWO CONFERENCES IN THE SAME SPORT AT THE SAME LEVEL.

No matter what the conferences involved are..

That's how YOU see it. You have a sensible head on your shoulders. It's not how USD fans would see it if the shoe were on the other foot. Guaranteed. :eyebrow:

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Nope - will be in AZ for two weeks after Thanksgiving, then for good after the new Year.

got it.

PM me a # I can reach you at....:thumbsup:

henfan
November 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Hen... Shouldn't your commissioner be an advocate of your member schools? In this case she is taking sides and that is a conflict of interest.

Look, I'm not defending PV. On the surface the comments look bad, but who knows what she was thinking? Perhaps she was taken out of context. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Maybe send PV an email and ask her to clarify. Contact your school's CEO and AD and ask them to explain.

Of course PV should be the primary advocate for her leagues, however... if that's not the case, it's incumbent upon PFL CEOs to replace her. If they don't, that's a clear indication that they are satisfied with the status quo.

To this outsider, it seems the PFL presidents, through their own disregard, are the real root of the problem here, not PV. Wouldn't you agree?

Maverick
November 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
As to what she should or shouldn't do as the commish, it is completely up to the PFL CEOs. I am sure that she understands the nature of her comments and firmly believes in what she says. As to those who don't like it, tough. You ain't in charge she is. If she is willingly to say it and live with it, there ain't too much you can or will do about it.

All this whining about Patty V. goes to the very heart of what kind of conference are you in that you want to "share" a commissioner as well as to the value the CEO's have expressed by making such an arrangement. The quality of your conference is the one fact that will result in USD not being in the playoffs. This is further evidence of the importance of football in the PFL. If you want to be big, there are things you need to do as a conference. Until then, your conference will be your problem in trying to get into the I-AA playoffs. (Not to mention the fact that the head coach at USD will be jumping ship to be able to make a bigger name for himself.)

November 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Funny I didn't read anything she said that slighted USD. Don't forget this appeared in the DesMoines Register and who knows what she really said and they cut out the USD remarks?

November 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM
PVIV is on I-AA WAVES tonight but mostly talking about Gateway expansion

DUPFLFan
November 15th, 2006, 09:02 AM
PVIV is on I-AA WAVES tonight but mostly talking about Gateway expansion

Yep - my point exactly. Who is on 1-AA Waves advocating the PFL???

I told you a long time ago about conflict of interest. Sorry, but IMHO, this proves it.

She needs to resign NOW.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I told you a long time ago about conflict of interest. Sorry, but IMHO, this proves it.

She needs to resign NOW.

:rolleyes: This is absolutely ridiculous the way Patty V. is getting treated by the members of her own conference. She has done more for USD's playoff chances than any person who has ever posted on this board. She arranged for the Gridiron Classic to be moved. She has gone on I-AA Waves and talked about her reasons for moving the Classic. She's been energetic in her ideas in making the PFL a league that people are talking about. And yet fans of the schools she's representing instead want to dump on her.

What I find truly ironic is that by going through the hoops to move the Gridiron Classic and to at least give a chance to USD, now whenever Patty V. goes and says anything but how great USD is people heap on the abuse. You never heard a single Gateway person whine about how Patty V. wasn't giving the Gateway their props.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that fans are turning on a commissioner that has really bent over backwards to give a PFL team a legitimate chance to make the playoffs simply because she talked about some pretty damned important stuff in the Gateway.

YoUDeeMan
November 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM

She needs to resign NOW.

No, PV doesn't need to do anything.

You, on the other hand, if you want change, need to do something other than post on AGS. Write to your school's President and Board. Change jobs, work hard, get on the Board, become CEO, donate lots of money, etc. Then you can select people to represent your school and attempt to dictate school and league priorities.

Good luck.

henfan
November 15th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Before PV needs to resign, David Maxwell (Drake's CEO) and his PFL counterparts need to make an adequate committment to I-AA football. One way to demonstrate that they are serious about I-AA would be to put forth the effort and ducats needed to hire their own administrative staff and commish. Until they do that, all this whining and moaning about PV will fall on deaf ears. Sorry.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM

She needs to resign NOW.

Again, my question is is she going against the interests of the PFL members who employ her? If they felt like you do she'd be out in a second. But this supposed conflict of interest has existed for many years now and there's been no peep of any kind of dissatisfaction with her performance from the presidents of the universities who she represents. Maybe you're idea of where the PFL should be just doesn't jibe with what the presidents of those universities want? Patty doesn't act on her own, she acts on their behalf. She's a mouthpiece and if you're upset then apparently you are upset with the PFL presidents. :nod:

DUPFLFan
November 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
You, on the other hand, if you want change, need to do something other than post on AGS. Write to your school's President and Board.

Done - Also wrote AD and San Diego Coach.:thumbsup:

Change jobs, work hard, get on the Board, become CEO, donate lots of money, etc. Then you can select people to represent your school and attempt to dictate school and league priorities.

Couldn't afford the pay cut...xlolx

GOTOREROS
November 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
:rolleyes: This is absolutely ridiculous the way Patty V. is getting treated by the members of her own conference. She has done more for USD's playoff chances than any person who has ever posted on this board. She arranged for the Gridiron Classic to be moved. She has gone on I-AA Waves and talked about her reasons for moving the Classic. She's been energetic in her ideas in making the PFL a league that people are talking about. And yet fans of the schools she's representing instead want to dump on her.

What I find truly ironic is that by going through the hoops to move the Gridiron Classic and to at least give a chance to USD, now whenever Patty V. goes and says anything but how great USD is people heap on the abuse. You never heard a single Gateway person whine about how Patty V. wasn't giving the Gateway their props.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that fans are turning on a commissioner that has really bent over backwards to give a PFL team a legitimate chance to make the playoffs simply because she talked about some pretty damned important stuff in the Gateway.

PV had NOTHING to do with the GIC being moved. It had to be voted on by each of the PFL and NEC schools and was spearheaded by the USD AD who due to his teams success lobbied the other schools. It was not PV's idea to make the changes at all.

Patty V. had nothing to do with it - the motion was brought by USD to the table and passed by each institution. Patty was simply along for the ride....after Ky Snyder told her he was going to to bring this forward.

GOTOREROS
November 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM

She needs to resign NOW.

Agreed - pretty cut and dry.....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
PV had NOTHING to do with the GIC being moved. It had to be voted on by each of the PFL and NEC schools and was spearheaded by the USD AD who due to his teams success lobbied the other schools. It was not PV's idea to make the changes at all.

Patty V. had nothing to do with it - the motion was brought by USD to the table and passed by each institution. Patty was simply along for the ride....after Ky Snyder told her he was going to to bring this forward.

You don't think Patty V. couldn't have pulled the plug on this party at any time? I'm sure USD was pushing for it, but ultimately it was Patty V. who had to set up the votes and get the thing together. Patty could have said to Mr. Snyder "Thanks, now go get my coffee" instead. You seriously think this was done without Patty V.'s OK? :rolleyes:

henfan
November 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Agreed - pretty cut and dry.....

If Mary Lyons, USD's CEO, agreed with you, PV would be history. Apparently it's not cut and dried for the people who determine the PFL's fate.

Dane96
November 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
You don't think Patty V. couldn't have pulled the plug on this party at any time? I'm sure USD was pushing for it, but ultimately it was Patty V. who had to set up the votes and get the thing together. Patty could have said to Mr. Snyder "Thanks, now go get my coffee" instead. You seriously think this was done without Patty V.'s OK? :rolleyes:

I cant believe I am siding with the PFL on this, but guys, there are a lot of things being turned into one. Both arguments are right here, but the clear argument is that Patty should not be the commish of both conferences.

First, it is the PFL Presidents who need to make a move. Like others have said in this thread, if they want to change the status quo...Patty will be out. Most are right here: Direct your anger and dissatisfaction towards them...they are the only ones who can make a move.

On that note, and this is directed at Lehigh Football Fan, the Commisioner does not have the POWER TO DO ANYTHING THE PRESIDENTS/AD'S do not say she can do. Meaning, Patty V. could not change the GIC date unilaterally...PERIOD...END OF STORY. She cant tell any official at any member school to "get her a cup of coffee." She...is at their mercy...not vice-versa. Again, these two principles go hand-in-hand: The PFL wants change...it is up to the Presidents/AD's. In this instance, Patty did not go to the PFL schools and say "Hey, great idea, let's switch the GIC to give USD a playoff shot." My friend, it was vice-versa. SHE WAS DIRECTED TO DO SO!!!

Now, as for Patty's views, she has clearly advocated Non-Scholarship football...and that is cool...if the PFL is cool with it. She also has clearly stated (TWICE NOW) that a non-scholly shouldnt be in the playoff with her intimations that A) THE GIC game should not be switched to accomadate the then NEC chances (I-AA waves) and B) that a "non-tested" team should not be in the playoffs (artcle).

The changing of the GIC game was all the doing of the AD's and Presidents...PATTY CLEARLY didnt believe it should be done (at some previous time...maybe she changed...who knows).

As for the non-tested team, San Diego, I think most, including myself, agree SAN DIEGO should not get a bid due to exactly what PATTY STATED. There is no disagreement in her reasoning from me. Where I stray from her is the fact that even though her comments made sense, they were disparaging to the chances of San Diego.

A commissioner (in the business world it would be analagous to a Board Member) must fight for the best interests of her members/company. Anything to the contrary is what we call bad-faith dealing.

That being said, it is up to the company (here the schools) to dump that leader if they feel his/her actions were in bad-faith.

While I agree with the PFL fans concept of her being removed for conflicted interests, it does not matter much unless the Presidents agree.

A major step towards legitimacy in the I-AA world would be to remove her and put in a full-time office staff.

shakdaddy3
November 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM
isn't her being commish of both conferences a good way to get PFL teams to play gateway teams in order to improve their SOS? too bad USD didn't use that to schedule a better OOC... maybe if they had, then she could actually hype their playoff chance if hyping teams in the league is actually her job or a big part of it...