PDA

View Full Version : Will the fact that UNI made it to the finals help them get selected

Old Cat Fan
November 14th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Just wondering if UNI making it to the finals last year should have any input on the selection process for an at large bid. My opinion is yes if they made it that far last year than they should be in with 4 losses.

UMass922
November 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM
They should be evaluated solely on what they have accomplished this year, just as every other team should.

redbirdtim
November 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Should history count? No
Does it ever come into play (even though it shouldn't)...yes

The NCAA is a business and they often make the best "financial" decision for themselves. Sometimes it's putting in a team they know will be a better draw if two teams are very very close. Being on the selection committee is real tough. If you have a team that's beaten yours consistently year in and year out, you might vote for them because you think they're really good.

Northern Iowa lost to a D2 school, and as we have seen, even playing D2 schools can hurt you. Even if they beat the Birds, they will probably be left out. However, hopefully the Birds won't even make this an issue.

th0m
November 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I think playing a D2 school will hurt a school, win or lose.

LacesOut
November 14th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Hell no!

[/thread]

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Is this Mickey Matthews talking? UNI is done, won't even be mentioned by the committee.

nmatsen
November 14th, 2006, 08:31 AM
UNI is out! SIU put the nail in their coffin last Saturday. Oh well, we will just get a head start on recruiting.

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM
The Gateway will likely get three teams YSU... Ill St... SIU... a four loss UNI has no hope of being a fourth school from that same conference.

GannonFan
November 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
No way UNI gets in - if any 4 loss teams get in this year, UNI would have to get in line behind Portland St (1 win and 2 losses versus IA teams) and Wofford who also have 4 losses and probably better resumes than UNI. And no, just being a runner-up last year has no bearing on making it this year.

UNI MadCat
November 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
The Panthers WILL make the tournament. Well, the one where they use an orange bouncy ball. :)

GannonFan
November 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM
The Panthers WILL make the tournament. Well, the one where they use an orange bouncy ball. :)

Well, I'm sure the Wichita St's, the Southern Illinois's, and the Missouri St's of the MVC world will have something to say about that. :nod:

crunifan
November 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I'm sure the Wichita St's, the Southern Illinois's, and the Missouri St's of the MVC world will have something to say about that. :nod:

Good thing the MVC will get more than those three teams in the tournament!

There is still Creighton...:nonono2:

GannonFan
November 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Good thing the MVC will get more than those three teams in the tournament!

There is still Creighton...:nonono2:

Well, 4 was an all-time high last year - not exactly a birthright now that the MVC will get 4 again.

UMass922
November 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
The only reason I think UNI will still be in the conversation IF they win on Saturday is that they would have wins over Youngstown State and Illinois State--a pair of quality wins the caliber of which none of the other seven-win teams under consideration (Portland State, Wofford if they win, UNH if they lose) can match. Also, even though the Panthers have a D-II loss, they also have a I-A loss (a one-point loss to Iowa State), so their record of consideration would effectively be 7-3 (just as PSU's would be 7-2, EIU's 8-2, etc.).

UNI still probably doesn't get in--it's the D-II loss and the severity of the loss to SIU that hurt them the most--but I think if they beat Illinois State on Saturday (again, a big IF), they'll be in the conversation a lot more seriously than many people here seem to think. They would still need a lot of help, though--it would probably take losses by UNH, EIU, Montana State, and Wofford to get them in. But if I were a Panther fan, I would still have a glimmer of hope, however faint.

walliver
November 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Just wondering if UNI making it to the finals last year should have any input on the selection process for an at large bid. My opinion is yes if they made it that far last year than they should be in with 4 losses.

Things like last year's performance should not come into play in any way shape or form. On the other hand, I think it frequently does come in to play. I don't think it is purely a money issue, either, but there seems to be a bias toward "tried and true" playoff teams compared to untested teams.

Chi Panther
November 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
NO....and they don't deserve it.....:(

Reed Rothchild
November 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
No FREAKING WAY THEY ARE IN!

Daved
November 15th, 2006, 07:53 PM
No FREAKING WAY THEY ARE IN!I don't think they will either but the Ytown Vindicator sportswriter Pete Mollica thinks they will if they beat ILS.

Reed Rothchild
November 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I don't think they will either but the Ytown Vindicator sportswriter Pete Mollica thinks they will if they beat ILS.

That will be a very tough task. Our defense hasn't stopped anyone all year and last year Bird defense ate us ALIVE.

siugrad99
November 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM
UNI gonna be the 5th Valley team in ? SIU, Creighton, WSU & MSU... ;)

bcrawf
November 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
UNI will be the 4th team in. MSU will somehow, someway get screwed again. Barry Hinson is the most underrated coach in the league, and also the best interview.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, 4 was an all-time high last year - not exactly a birthright now that the MVC will get 4 again.
The MVC will probably be better this year than last. 38 of 50 starters from last year in the league return. In terms of hoops, the MVC no longer qualifies as a "mid-major".

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
That will be a very tough task. Our defense hasn't stopped anyone all year and last year Bird defense ate us ALIVE.
Beating the Redbirds should at least get them considered. Tough job, though.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
UNI's odds are rather bleak as most have stated. UNI's best case scenario is that UNI beats Ill St, a couple bubble teams lose, AND Southern Illinois loses to S. Utah. If all that happens, UNI becomes the #3 team in the Gateway and would be under serious consideration.

siugrad99
November 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
SIU won't lose so that ruins your theory. Arkie will drop 200 and 3TD's on SUU in 3 quarters. As for Hinson being an undderrated coach... please he'd be a better preacher than a coach.

birdsflyhigh
November 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM
It's amazing how alot of the UNI fans don't think the Panthers deserve to be in the playoffs if they beat IL St. on Saturday. It kills me reading this post and seeing how many UNI "fans" think the Panthers are done and out.

Jesus, do you NOT think the Panthers are a better team than Portland St or Montana St? UNI wins on Saturday, and they'll have victories over the fifth and sixth best I-AA teams in the country, yet the Panthers are just bad and don't deserve to go to the playoffs? Give me a freakin' break!!

I somehow don't see PSU or MSU being able to knock off both YSU or IL St.....hell no! Yes, you did NOT do well last week against an SIU team who have their back up against the wall. Many good teams would have met their match with the Salukis last week.

I know if it were the Redbirds at 7-4 with wins over #5 and #6 and competing in the ultra-tough Gateway, then I'd sure in the heck think that IL St. would be deserving of making the playoffs. Guess as a Bird fan, I support my team come hell or high water. :twocents:

ASU Kep
November 16th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Supporting your team 100% doesn't mean you have to be oblivious to facts. I don't see very many Georgia Southern fans talkin' playoffs...UNI has four loses, and their resume isn't as nice as PSU's (though it's probably better then any other 4-loss team out there, including UNH possibly and Wofford).

DB_Atlantic10
November 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Just wondering if UNI making it to the finals last year should have any input on the selection process for an at large bid. My opinion is yes if they made it that far last year than they should be in with 4 losses.Heck, JMU won it all and did't make it with 4 losses last year.... They didn't have 7 D-I wins and their past championship had nothing to do with it.....The committee has to be as objective as possible and keep the criteria in tack...

Bison77
November 16th, 2006, 08:07 AM
It's amazing how alot of the UNI fans don't think the Panthers deserve to be in the playoffs if they beat IL St. on Saturday. It kills me reading this post and seeing how many UNI "fans" think the Panthers are done and out.

Jesus, do you NOT think the Panthers are a better team than Portland St or Montana St? UNI wins on Saturday, and they'll have victories over the fifth and sixth best I-AA teams in the country, yet the Panthers are just bad and don't deserve to go to the playoffs? Give me a freakin' break!!

I somehow don't see PSU or MSU being able to knock off both YSU or IL St.....hell no! Yes, you did NOT do well last week against an SIU team who have their back up against the wall. Many good teams would have met their match with the Salukis last week.

I know if it were the Redbirds at 7-4 with wins over #5 and #6 and competing in the ultra-tough Gateway, then I'd sure in the heck think that IL St. would be deserving of making the playoffs. Guess as a Bird fan, I support my team come hell or high water. :twocents:

I agree - The BSC is weak this year with only the Griz having a good season. Hell UCDavis beat MSU 45-0 and they're in 2nd or 3rd place. The Gateway is where it's at. :bow:

bcrawf
November 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM
The more I think about it. The more I think we have a chance with a win on Saturday. It's a weird year and I think they are almost going to have to take a couple of 7-4 teams.

PS Our resume is better than PSU's. Just beating a bad I-A team does not a reume make!!

nmatsen
November 16th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Whats that, "see you there?"

Bradley last year laid the ink for the Valley being a 3 bid league every year.

Now, if we can just get them to give us a seed averaging 9 or 10 instead of 12-13 so we can have some legitimate winnable games instead of having to try to play Cindarella Story every year.

nmatsen
November 16th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I support my team no matter what. I will be there wearing purple and gold watching the panthers on Saturday. I will probably be the loudest person in the dome and will probably cry when the game is over regardless of the score because I know their season will be over. (sorry, it just brings back too many tough memories of playing my last game in the dome). 7-4 teams just don't get in the playoffs. It just doesn't happen.

Khan4Cats
November 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I will always bleed purple for the Panthers, it is just that this has been a really frustrating season of ups and downs. From losing the ND game, to beating Iowa State in everything but the score to taking out a very good YSU team at their place to flopping against WIU then reboundeing against WKU to getting rolled by SIU, this has been very topsy-turvy. We have as much talent as last year, just seem to be missing something to capture the 'magic', whether its chemistry, coaching, leadership, luck....

Come to think of it, the way this season is playing out we probably beat Illinois State and make the playoffs:thumbsup: Of course that probably will earn us a trip to Missoula or Boone:rolleyes:

nmatsen
November 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Send us to Missoula and I will buy the first plane ticket. Doesn't matter, we aren't playing in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shakdaddy3
November 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM

you mean like last year when we beat UNI and SIU? on top of that, we didn't lose to a DII team... still didn't make the playoffs in an ultra-tough gateway... heck, an 8-3 YSU co-champ didn't make it...

i think UNI is a good enough team to be in the playoffs and do a good amount of damage, but their 7-4 mark [if they beat us saturday] with a DII loss won't be enough to make the playoffs IMO... personally, i would rather see monmouth make it over any 7-4 team...

birdsflyhigh
November 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Shakdaddy, I agree the Birds were playoff worthy last season. This season is quite different though as there are NOT enough 8-3 teams out there, so there's a chance that the TOP 7-4 I-AA team out there will be included in the playoffs.

Check out the EIU, UNI, MSU, PSU comparison thread I started. In the thread I broke down the numbers for all four teams and the UNI Panthers shine. Then a couple of posters asked about Wofford (likely to finish 7-4) and Delaware St. (probably will go 9-2), so I did the numbers on both of those teams. Wofford was comparable to UNI, but Delaware St with their 9-2 record was way below even EIU, so out of the 6 teams compared, DSU was #6.

In doing a numbers work-up of the season, I averaged a teams GPI wins, averaged a teams GPI losses, and also looked at pointed differential or average score in those losses. There may be teams like Monmouth, Coastal Carolina, or even freaking San Diego around this year with better records, but when you really break down the numbers, UNI, Wofford and even PSU look much better. If the playoff selection crew truly wants to pick the BEST 16 teams in the nation to give them a shot to battle it out for a national championship, then when it comes down to picking the last spot, IMO either UNI or Wofford are very deserving.

As to there's NO WAY the selection crew picks a 7-4 team, this year has been one of real parody coming to I-AA football, and like I mentioned earlier there just aren't enough 8-3 teams out there. Honestly, I believe there could be a 7-4 team in the playoffs this season. Yes, there will be teams with better records, but if the committee breaks down the numbers, then those teams with glossier records will fall by the wayside.

Who knows? What I do know is that if the UNI Panthers were indeed to be in this years playoffs, they could DEFINITELY give one of the top teams a good run for their money (they've already proven that). :nod:

UNI MadCat
November 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Love the optmism birds. I dont know if its reading some of the optimistic posts or just the fact that its getting so close to gametime but I've really started to get excited about this game in the last few hours. I think given the opening of our new b-ball/v-ball stadium prior to the football game will have people riding sky high. I hope a good, fired up crowd comes out to support the Panthers and then, who knows? I just know that I'd much rather watch the selection show on Sunday with a hope and a prayer rather than with no shot whatsoever.

Chi Panther
November 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I fully anticipate a kick in the nutz from either the Redbirds....or the committee:nod:

PantherMan
November 17th, 2006, 10:18 PM
While I'd love to see UNI win tomorrow and somehow sneak into the playoffs, it ain't gonna happen. On the positive side of things, this will make the LARGE Junior class extra hungry when they damn well better win the Gateway next season. We return just about everyone on both sides of the ball. This will also help to get an early start on recruiting which is a HUGE necessity IMHO for UNI, as we do have such a large and talented Junior class that will be gone after next year's championship run (wishful thinking..) Making the playoffs is always nice, but I don't want us to be the team that "backed in".:twocents:

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM
If we play like we did last week, none of this conversation will matter. :(

Saluki_man
November 18th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I fully anticipate a kick in the nutz from either the Redbirds....or the committee:nod:

I have a feeling that will come from the first, which will make the second a moot point.