PDA

View Full Version : 3 star QB out of Alabama commits to Western Carolina!

catamount man
December 9th, 2014, 01:01 PM
After a visit by Western Carolina head football coach Mark Speir on Monday morning, Northview standout quarterback Kalen Whitlow decided to commit to the university located in Cullowhee, N.C.
“ I fell in love with their offense and I really like their coaches,” Whitlow said. “I got a really good feel for them.
“ They run an offense very similar to our offense here at Northview – a lot of zone reads, a lot of pass concepts that we run here.”

Whitlow transferred to Northview last summer from Prattville and had an outstanding senior season for the Cougars.

He led the Wiregrass with 222.5 passing yards per game this season while completing 147-of-263 (55.8 percent) for 2,225 yards with 20 touchdowns with six interceptions. Whitlow also rushed for 107 yards on 58 attempts with three touchdowns. Northview finished with a 5-5 record.

While Whitlow hasn’t visited Western Carolina, he does have a visit planned in January and says the commitment feels “pretty solid.”

“ It’s a big relief off my shoulders,” Whitlow said. “I don’t have any worries about next year, so that’s a pretty good feeling.”

Whitlow’s older brother, Jalen Whitlow, is a quarterback at Eastern Illinois. He began his career at the University of Kentucky before transferring before this past season.

“ I talk to him a lot about it,” Kalen said of the recruiting process. “He tells me to make sure I go somewhere where they want me and make sure I’m comfortable.”

Kalen, who was recruited as an athlete by many colleges, said that WCU recruited him as a quarterback, and that made a difference in the decision-making process

“ Quarterback is a position I’ve been playing since I was 5 years old,” he said. “Me and my brother have just loved playing quarterback. That’s the position we first played and just fell in love with.”

Northview coach LaBrian Stewart said Whitlow had around 15 scholarship offers.

“ Basically, Western Carolina has been recruiting him for some time,” Stewart said. “It wasn’t a pressure deal. They’re not looking to redshirt him. They’re basically looking for him to come in and compete for the position.”

While Whitlow has only been at Northview for his senior year, Stewart knew him during his time at Prattville, where Stewart was an assistant coach.

“ I’ve know Kalen since the seventh grade,” Stewart said. “He’s a great team player. Teammates love him, the coaches love him.

“ He’s a kid who works hard and takes coaching. Probably one of his best attributes is he’s a competitor and a great student.

“ I think it will be a great fit for him and he’ll be a great fit for them.”

I don't think we've ever gotten a commit from a 3 star QB! Speir has said this kid will NOT be redshirted. GO CATS!!! Welcome to the WHEE!xthumbsupx

Reply (http://forums.delphiforums.com/catamountpride/?msg=13236.5&guest=y&post=y) Options

- - - Updated - - -

I copied and pasted from CATAMOUNT PRIDE.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Congrats! I hope he pans out for you guys!

citdog
December 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
The key that I took from this is that he has yet to visit Cullowee......

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2014, 07:37 PM

...in January

tenNesseeCat
December 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM
He might have a hard time finding Cullowee. I'll bet the best GPS can't even do it. I'd take Cullowhee <--notice the h-- in January over August in Charleston or Macon! Our other deep south, dual-threat QB has worked out quite nicely!

OL FU
December 10th, 2014, 09:15 AM
xeekx What the H!

walliver
December 10th, 2014, 09:24 AM
It would be a big catch for the Cats, but there are a plethora of caveats.
1) He has never visited the campus. I assume he must have watched WCU play Alabama on television.
2) Apparently the other schools recruiting him do not feel he is QB material.
3) and of course, now that he has committed to WCU, the ratings services will drop him down a star or two ;)

This sounds like one of those guys who could easily change his mind before signing day.

catamount man
December 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM

You're so right. Shame the kid isn't into homosexual foreplay cause CITADEL would certainly be on the must see list.

- - - Updated - - -

1) He has never visited the campus. I assume he must have watched WCU play Alabama on television.
3) and of course, now that he has committed to WCU, the ratings services will drop him down a star or two ;)

This sounds like one of those guys who could easily change his mind before signing day.

said every other recruit before the official signing day.

tenNesseeCat
December 10th, 2014, 09:53 AM
http://thereporter.wcu.edu/2010/08/cherokee-instructor-discusses-origin-of-word-cullowhee/

Should we be the giants instead of the catamounts? It's interesting, all the stuff you hear about the area when you live there. I was almost convinced that the Cherokee had a curse on our FB program, until this year. Then UTC came to town. We honored the EBCI, and get blasted 51-0. things that make you go hmmm...

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Number 3 on your list is why FCS fans should never respect these recruiting agencies.

tenNesseeCat
December 10th, 2014, 10:17 AM

1) “Basically, Western Carolina has been recruiting him for some time,” Stewart said. “It wasn’t a pressure deal. They’re not looking to redshirt him. They’re basically looking for him to come in and compete for the position.”

Why would our beautiful campus be a con in any recruits decision? It's no Sparkle City, but most like it that way.

2) As for not being QB material, I'll trust coach Speir in honing the talent of a 3 star athlete that,

"led the Wiregrass with 222.5 passing yards per game this season while completing 147-of-263 (55.8 percent) for 2,225 yards with 20 touchdowns with six interceptions. Whitlow also rushed for 107 yards on 58 attempts with three touchdowns."

Catamount87
December 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I always get a chuckle out of comments about WCU and Cullowhee in the winter. It's fairly mild. If you want cold with a helping of a bitter wind, venture up to Boone in January. That's why ASU has always struggled with baseball recruiting.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I always get a chuckle out of comments about WCU and Cullowhee in the winter. It's fairly mild. If you want cold with a helping of a bitter wind, venture up to Boone in January. That's why ASU has always struggled with baseball recruiting.

You are correct. Per US Climate Data statistics, the average low in Boone in January is 21 degrees...and the average low in Cullowhee in January is a 'balmy' 24 degrees.

Personally, for me, any temp starting with a 2 is just colder than a well-digger's rear end, but I guess you Mountain folk can discern that 3 degree difference and bask in its warmth.

tenNesseeCat
December 10th, 2014, 12:44 PM
You are correct. Per US Climate Data statistics, the average low in Boone in January is 21 degrees...and the average low in Cullowhee in January is a 'balmy' 24 degrees.

Personally, for me, any temp starting with a 2 is just colder than a well-digger's rear end, but I guess you Mountain folk can discern that 3 degree difference and bask in its warmth.

Ask any of the other SoCon members which is colder, Boone or Cullowhee. 21 is a lot lower than 24, when there is a +20mph wind and a 1,200 ft elevation difference. Cullowhee is in a "thermal valley." I've been fishing without waders in the Tuck, with the plott balsams topped with deep snow. I've driven through Sylva at 98 and camped out later that day in panthertown valley in the low to mid 80's. Annual snow fall avg. Boone - 34", Cullowhee - 5"

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Ask any of the other SoCon members which is colder, Boone or Cullowhee. 21 is a lot lower than 24, when there is a +20mph wind and a 1,200 ft elevation difference. Cullowhee is in a "thermal valley." I've been fishing without waders in the Tuck, with the plott balsams topped with deep snow. I've driven through Sylva at 98 and camped out later that day in panthertown valley in the low to mid 80's.

Don't need to ask anyone else. I grew up in NC and I've been 'in' the SoCon for over 30 years. Played and Coached in both places.
Boone is cold and Cullowhee is cold. Huntington, WV was colder than both. Boone and Cullowhee are beautiful. Huntington was not.

CID1990
December 11th, 2014, 11:08 AM

I always chuckle when FCS fans post how many stars their recruits have.

Twentysix
December 11th, 2014, 01:28 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH xrolleyesx

SU DOG
December 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM
CONGRATS Cats. Looks like a good get.