PDA

View Full Version : FASCINATING read on scholarships

OSBF
December 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2013/05/19/Colleges-universities-slow-to-offer-multiyear-athletic-scholarships/stories/201305190222

tomq04
December 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
tldr

tomq04
December 9th, 2014, 11:23 AM
"You have these contracts," he said at a press conference. "It's called quid pro quo. We give you this. You give us that. But if they don't give us this and we decide not to give them this, then it's the worst thing you can do. I'm still struggling to understand that issue."

This sums it up for me.

Seems to me that all athletes should be taking a look at Fresno State as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Interesting read but like many of its ilk fails to think through completely the ramifications of the four-year scholarship. Is it wise to have kids themselves be guaranteed an education no matter what they do on and off the field? Instead it takes the easy way out - painting the NCAA as the tool of the athletic departments.

In reality, how many athletes are adversely affected by the one-year scholarship rule, especially in regards with the APR numbers that are needed for eligibility? Very, very few across all of Division I have their scholarships rescinded because it causes an APR problem if it does. Of course, the relative success of the NCAA's APR program (though it is unfair and still extremely flawed) never gets a mention in these articles because it's way too easy to paint the NCAA as the villain.

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Is it wise to have kids themselves be guaranteed an education no matter what they do on and off the field?

If they stay eligible academically and follow the rules of the school, yes.

ace93
December 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
If they stay eligible academically and follow the rules of the school, yes.

What if their effort on the practice field becomes unacceptable? It is not an academic scholarship, after all.

Bill
December 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM
What caught my eye was this:

"Pittsburgh and Penn State, which do not have to provide information under Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law, did not offer data."

I understand - maybe - about Pitt. I believe they are only affiliated with the state department of higher ed, but I could be wrong. But Penn State? Why on earth doesn't Penn State have to provide information? Aren't they the "flagship" of higher ed in PA??? And after all that happened there with Sandusky and Paterno... I can't believe it.

OhioHen
December 9th, 2014, 12:50 PM
This also flies in the face of the situation where players who wish to transfer must be "released from their scholarships" in order to do so. If it's a one-year scholarship, there is nothing from which to be released at the end of the year.

CasualFan
December 9th, 2014, 01:48 PM
What caught my eye was this:

"Pittsburgh and Penn State, which do not have to provide information under Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law, did not offer data."

I understand - maybe - about Pitt. I believe they are only affiliated with the state department of higher ed, but I could be wrong. But Penn State? Why on earth doesn't Penn State have to provide information? Aren't they the "flagship" of higher ed in PA??? And after all that happened there with Sandusky and Paterno... I can't believe it.
I looked at this a few years ago, and I believe it is still true: both schools are semi-private. It's relatively unusual in higher ed, and they are the examples that are usually cited.

Bill
December 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I looked at this a few years ago, and I believe it is still true: both schools are semi-private. It's relatively unusual in higher ed, and they are the examples that are usually cited.

Yes, you're right. I got this from the Penn State website..."myths about Penn State": (http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/myths.html)Myth: Penn State is state-owned and operated. Fact: Penn State is "state-related." It was incorporated in 1855 as a private entity but the Board of Trustees included representatives of state government, including the governor. The state legislature in 1863 named Penn State the Commonwealth's sole land-grant institution, a designation that gave the University a broad mission of teaching, research, and public service. The legislature only occasionally granted funds to Penn State during the early years but since 1887 has made appropriations on a regular basis.

superman7515
December 9th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Yes, you're right. I got this from the Penn State website..."myths about Penn State": (http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/myths.html)Myth: Penn State is state-owned and operated.

Fact: Penn State is "state-related." It was incorporated in 1855 as a private entity but the Board of Trustees included representatives of state government, including the governor. The state legislature in 1863 named Penn State the Commonwealth's sole land-grant institution, a designation that gave the University a broad mission of teaching, research, and public service. The legislature only occasionally granted funds to Penn State during the early years but since 1887 has made appropriations on a regular basis.

Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln in PA and University of Delaware and Delaware State in DE are the only publicly-funded US colleges/universities not subject to FOIA. The other 48 states do not allow exemptions for schools accepting public funds.

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln in PA and University of Delaware and Delaware State in DE are the only publicly-funded US colleges/universities not subject to FOIA.

Cornell?

superman7515
December 9th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Cornell?

There was an article earlier this year when the Delaware legislature was trying to subject Delaware and Delaware State to FOIA where they brought up that those were the only publicly-funded FOIA-exempt schools in the nation. UD argued they shouldn't be subject to FOIA because if they had to disclose what they were doing, it would put them at a disadvantage when competing with private schools.

melloware13
December 9th, 2014, 07:20 PM
The PA System of Higher Ed. doesn't have a flagship, per say, but it has 14 "equal" universities: East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg, Mansfield, Kutztown, Lock Haven, West Chester, Cheyney, Millersville, Shippensburg, Indiana, California, Edinboro, Slippery Rock, and Clarion

YoUDeeMan
December 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Dave Brock, UD Hens, coach, doesn't welcome all players back.

CHIP72
December 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
The PA System of Higher Ed. doesn't have a flagship, per say, but it has 14 "equal" universities: East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg, Mansfield, Kutztown, Lock Haven, West Chester, Cheyney, Millersville, Shippensburg, Indiana, California, Edinboro, Slippery Rock, and Clarion

These are the 14 "state-owned" schools in the Pennsylvania SSHE; the four schools mentioned by superman7515 a few posts up (Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln) are "state-related".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk