PDA

View Full Version : N. Dakota State a possibility for Big 12 Expansion?

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2014, 05:22 PM
With the Big 12 Commish coming out and saying the Big 12 will be evaluating how they will have their Comference Champ crowned in football, it is anticipated they will be looking to invite teams into their fold.

Some teams mentioned for possible invites are BYU, Boise State, Colorado State, Memphis, Houston, UConn, Cincinnati and UCF. With this in mind, could North Dakota State be worth a look for the Big 12 in their likely expansion for a Conference Champ. Game?

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I…

Just…

I mean….

Where's my popcorn

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
No.

/thread

penguinpower
December 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I…

Just…

I mean….

Where's my popcorn

You are hilarious at times. This busted me up.

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I…

Just…

I mean….

Where's my popcorn

http://michaeljacksonmeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/popcornlinewaslong.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2014, 05:28 PM
This thread could head in many directions. All of which should be entertaining. Clenz is right, get your popcorn ready xpopcornx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2014, 05:31 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/WDnDQEvOTLcCA/giphy.gif

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 05:38 PM
No.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 05:41 PM
This thread could head in many directions. All of which should be entertaining. Clenz is right, get your popcorn ready xpopcornx
Not sure what could be more entertaining.

This thread...or the number of times I've seen people with NDSU facebook profile photos trolling the UNI Facebook page and it's posts about the basketball team with comments about football...which has happened numerous times this weekend.

Bronco
December 7th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Is the home sweet dome big enough?

http://i.imgur.com/0xPGF.gif

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Here is the ESPN article that "inspired" this thread:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11993892/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-says-conference-reconsider-how-declare-champion

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM
If I'm the Big 12 I go after Cincinnati and Boise State. Cincy gives WVU a traveling partner. The Bearcats are legitimately good in football and basketball. They're also in the process of a major renovation to Nippert. Boise State for the simple fact that I'd like to see them in the P5. They've kept it going under several coaches...

Teal2018
December 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM
If I'm the Big 12 I go after Cincinnati and Boise State. Cincy gives WVU a traveling partner. The Bearcats are legitimately good in football and basketball. They're also in the process of a major renovation to Nippert. Boise State for the simple fact that I'd like to see them in the P5. They've kept it going under several coaches...

If this were to happen could the Mountain West invite NDSU to fill the Boise spot?

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Holy crap.

NDSU isn't going FBS. Stop. We don't have facilities or the money for it.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 06:06 PM

I highly doubt BSU happens. UCONN is more likely, IMO.

They bring nothing… no market, the name at this point carries much much much less weight. Basketball doesn't bring anything of value to the b12 other than an occasional ncaa host. Academics are a big hold back as well.

Memphis brings a market, big donors, big stadium that hosts a bowl game, potential, and a very good/respected basketball name.

Colorado State is interesting for a couple reasons.

Wyoming was thrown out at the end of last year but bring less than Boise.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 06:07 PM
BYU, Houston, the directional Florida's, etc… are all non-starters for a couple reasons that seem obvious… at least to me

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2014, 06:12 PM
If this were to happen could the Mountain West invite NDSU to fill the Boise spot?

Makes sense to me.

swaghook
December 7th, 2014, 06:17 PM
NDSU does not have either the funds or the facilities currently to go FBS. It would take a major shake up in the NCAA structure for NDSU to make a move.

heath
December 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM
nope Zero notta..............Craig may have stayed if.......:D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM

NO

/****ING THREAD!

UNHWildcat18
December 7th, 2014, 06:32 PM
NDSU will be a big 12 Member when UNH is put in the ACC for all sports. kicking out Louisville since they aren't coastal enough.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Instead of trying to get rid of NDSU, why don't you all just get better?

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Instead of trying to get rid of NDSU, why don't you all just get better?
Ummm. You're falling for the bait like a kid in a candy store.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
NDSU isn't ever joining in a major power conference, not enough market/population and those conferences don't add FCS teams. That isn't even getting into having to build a new stadium for football.

MWC/MAC I guess you could make a case if the FBS landscape got shaken up. Our AD made some interesting comments this past weekend, said NDSU has to be ready to pay for "cost of attendance" scholarships.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 06:57 PM
NDSU isn't ever joining in a major power conference, not enough market/population and those conferences don't add FCS teams. That isn't even getting into having to build a new stadium for football.

MWC/MAC I guess you could make a case if the FBS landscape got shaken up. Our AD made some interesting comments this past weekend, said NDSU has to be ready to pay for "cost of attendance" scholarships.
MWC is still quite a stretch.

Look at the facilities, budgets, etc…

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2014, 06:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aPTJHC_7_tI/TlKiVYfokbI/AAAAAAAAAHs/dR1_2tfnCrY/s1600/Vendor.jpg

Sammy94
December 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
This thread is funny.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM
This thread is funny.
Was made to troll Bison fans and bait NoDak 4 Ever.
I'm loving it.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 07:05 PM
MWC is still quite a stretch.

Look at the facilities, budgets, etc…

Well if they lost Boise and perhaps San Diego State it might look more realistic. Like I said it would take a shake up to occur.

The MAC obviously is the most realistic.

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2014, 07:06 PM
The Big 12 is a basketball conference.....maybe they should go after UNI. :D xpopcornx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Was made to troll Bison fans and bait NoDak 4 Ever.
I'm loving it.

Sorry, just offering realtalk.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 07:17 PM
The Big 12 is a basketball conference.....maybe they should go after UNI. :D xpopcornx
We do quite well against b12 basketball

Sycamore62
December 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Taking a bit of an off ramp but I remember Boise st saying back in the day they would play anyone anywhere and couldn't get some big teams to play them basically saying that teams were afraid to play them (around their fiesta? bowl win). I then heard a coach or AD say they offered a 2 for 1 deal and it was turned down, Nebraska I think?

So that makes me think that BSU likes their mystique more than their reality. Not sure their success would hold up weekly in the big12.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Taking a bit of an off ramp but I remember Boise st saying back in the day they would play anyone anywhere and couldn't get some big teams to play them basically saying that teams were afraid to play them (around their fiesta? bowl win). I then heard a coach or AD say they offered a 2 for 1 deal and it was turned down, Nebraska I think?

So that makes me think that BSU likes their mystique more than their reality. Not sure their success would hold up weekly in the big12.
It likely wouldn't and they love it that mystique.

They love playing big names in bowl games or week 1 when they can put in a brand new system

It's not often they play a big name on a 1 week turn around

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I did some looking

8/31 @ Washington (L) - first game of season
12/24 neutral Oregon State (15 point loss) - 26 day lay off

8/31 @ Michigan State (L) - first game of season
12/22 neutral Wasington (W) - 20 day lay off

9/3 neutral Georgia (W) - first game of season
12/22 neutral Arizona State (W) - 20 day layoff

9/3 neutral Virginia Tech (W) - first game of season
12/22 neutral Utah (W) - 10 day lay off

9/3 vs Oregon (W) - first game of season
1/4 neutral TCU (W) - 30 day lay off

There was a 37 day layover before the Fiesta bowl

They don't well against "big name" schools, but there is a definite trend here.

Would I like to see how they do playing a schedule that looks like
v Kansas State
@ biggest rival OOC...say BYU
@ Baylor
@ Oklahoma State
@ Texas
v Oklahoma
@ Kansas
v Texas Tech

all in a row with no off weeks like Iowa State did this year? You bet. I don't think they finish any better than Okie State (4-5 in conference).

It's one thing to catch a team (even though they shouldn't be overlooking you). It's another to do it week after week after week. Same thing is/should be said about FCS rosters.
v West Virginia
@ TCU

Sycamore62
December 7th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Isn't Liberty near WV?

CHIP72
December 7th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Isn't Liberty near WV?

Relatively-speaking, yes, but Liberty makes even less sense for the Big 12 than NDSU does.

marenlee
December 7th, 2014, 07:49 PM
The Big XII is retarded. "One True Champion" my ass. Now possibly a waiver for a championship game with 10 teams after they already have played each other??? The Big XII is a hot mess and they really screwed the pooch when Louisville was waiting for an invite and the BXII did nothing. Now they're getting desperate. I don't agree with Ohio State jumping TCU/Baylor. But Baylor should be blaming themselves for having one of the worst OOC schedules for a P5 team.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM

They bring nothing… no market, the name at this point carries much much much less weight. Basketball doesn't bring anything of value to the b12 other than an occasional ncaa host. Academics are a big hold back as well.

Memphis brings a market, big donors, big stadium that hosts a bowl game, potential, and a very good/respected basketball name.

UConn is ridiculous from a geographic stance, but then again, they did add WVU which doesn't make any sense either. UCF would also be out in no-man's-land geographically.

Boise State, CSU, and maybe Memphis and Cincinnati make sense.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
The Big XII is retarded. "One True Champion" my ass. Now possibly a waiver for a championship game with 10 teams after they already have played each other??? The Big XII is a hot mess and they really screwed the pooch when Louisville was waiting for an invite and the BXII did nothing. Now they're getting desperate. I don't agree with Ohio State jumping TCU/Baylor. But Baylor should be blaming themselves for having one of the worst OOC schedules for a P5 team.

Well, it shows the complete failure of a 4 team playoff in addressing the concerns of the old BCS system. They really need an 8 team playoff at a minimum, and ideally a 16 team playoff.

marenlee
December 7th, 2014, 07:58 PM
All could have been avoided if they invited Louisville with WVU, then Cincy to top it off at 12.

CHIP72
December 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Well, it shows the complete failure of a 4 team playoff in addressing the concerns of the old BCS system. They really need an 8 team playoff at a minimum, and ideally a 16 team playoff.

The issue with Texas Christian and Baylor both being excluded points at the reason why Division I-A football will go to an 8 team playoff probably within the next 5 years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Boise State does bring a market. Boise/Nampa is a legit metro area. There's enough people there to make a difference.

Boise State has the ability to drive up tv ratings. If you put them in the Big 12 they're a different animal. A big game against OKlahoma or Texas on the Blue Turf is a Game Day special. Their basketball team has potential. The NCAA has put tournament games in Boise for a reason. There is a market and interest for college hoops in the area.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Well if they lost Boise and perhaps San Diego State it might look more realistic. Like I said it would take a shake up to occur.

The MAC obviously is the most realistic.

Still huge discrepancies.

Fresno State - Bulldog Stadium - 42k - 35 million
http://locable-assets-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/resource/file/66302/gallery_A-sellout-crowd-of-41031-packed-Bulldog-Stadium-for-a-Blackout-game-against-Nevada-on-November-2..jpg

Nevada - Mackay Stadium - 30K - 27 million
http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/nevada-mackay-stadium-aerial.jpg

San Jose State - Spartan Stadium - 30K - 26 million
http://www.ocjones.com/manager/uploads/sliderpic/1351676139_1351639882_Homepage%20Slide%20-%20PARTNERING%20with%20every%20client.jpg

UNLV - Sam Boyd Stadium - 40K - 65 million
http://wildaboutazcats.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SamBoydStadium.jpg

Colorado State - Huges Stadium - 35K - 35 million
http://nemaha.net/pics/gallerypic/25/Sonny_Lubick_Field_at_Hughes_Stadium_upload_a.jpg

Utah State - Romney Stadium - 26K - 26 million
http://www.bigbluechat.com/Images/RomneySig.gif

Air Force - Falcon Stadium - 47K - 39 million
http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/dd1dd1f0f14f1f7ddd41952603efb3f1dbabd2bd.jpg-590x1000.png

New Mexico - University Stadium - 40k - 45 million
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/37198951.jpg

Wyoming - War Memorial Stadium - 30K - 30 million
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wyo/graphics/facilities/wyo-12-facilities-top-main-new.jpg

NDSU - Fargodome - 19K (fixed) - 18 million
http://www.helenske.com/uploads/8/3/4/3/8343189/1602946_orig.jpg

plus do the geo mapping on that.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 08:19 PM
All could have been avoided if they invited Louisville with WVU, then Cincy to top it off at 12.

This.

Louisville and Cinci were sitting right next to their phones/computers/fax machines just waiting for that call and were ready to say "YES!" before the B12 said a word.

Now they lost Louisville, who is a top 20-35 team yearly, and one of the best basketball programs in the nation to the ACC.

Cinci is still there though.

Cinci and Memphis would make the most sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Boise State does bring a market. Boise/Nampa is a legit metro area. There's enough people there to make a difference.

Boise State has the ability to drive up tv ratings. If you put them in the Big 12 they're a different animal. A big game against OKlahoma or Texas on the Blue Turf is a Game Day special. Their basketball team has potential. The NCAA has put tournament games in Boise for a reason. There is a market and interest for college hoops in the area.Is the blue turf really that special once they become Texas Tech?

dewey
December 7th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Holy crap.

^^^^This.

Dewey

nodak651
December 7th, 2014, 09:42 PM
If a spot opened up in the MWC, do you guess think NDSU wouldn't go because they wouldn't get the invite or because the AD would say no?

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
If a spot opened up in the MWC, do you guess think NDSU wouldn't go because they wouldn't get the invite or because the AD would say no?
Wouldn't get the invite to start.

Would have to double athletic budget, likely build a new stadium, and pay travel for all sports where the shortest trip is Wyoming….

I'm not an NDSU expert, but I would guess it would be a very tough internal call to make. It might be accepted because you "can't pass that up" OR stand point but I would bet they know NDSU isn't close to ready

NY Crusader 2010
December 7th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Big XII will take BYU and Cincy. In the event Boise gets in and a MWC spot opens up, the top candidates to fill that spot would be:

1) UTEP
2) UTSA
3) Idaho (if they weren't invited at this point, they should move back down to the Big Sky)
4) New Mexico St
5) Rice

Montana could be pretty high on that list but they recently turned down a WAC invite if I remember correctly. If NDSU decides they really want to move up, they'll land in the MAC.

melloware13
December 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM
First: I wonder if the Boy Scouts of America profited from the beginning of this thread.
--
I think the Big XII should first look to Cincy (even though they don't really carry that market, it's something). Then the second spot gets more interesting, can they sell BYU on joining a conference (Texas-Austin has Longhorn network, so BYUtv would be safe) or do they go for Boise. After those three, I think the gains of expanding to 12 are outweighed by the loss of talent (looking at UConn, UCF, Memphis, Houston).

Hypothetically, they add Cincinnati and Boise. Now the AAC and MWC are looking for members to keep their championship games (AAC adds one next year w/ adding Navy). AAC probably looks to Army, then UMass, then raiding C-USA some more. MWC could add either Idaho or NMSU to keep footprint, or look to FCS. In their footprint, I'd say Montana would be top candidate, followed by NDSU.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2014, 10:44 PM

Great point.

Sycamore62
December 7th, 2014, 10:52 PM
In theory, if a(nother) spot opens up in a non-P5 conference, is it worth making the investment to jump now anyway since anyone who wants to play at that level probably will fall into it when new divisions happen? Huge assumptions there but how could anything else happen.

frozennorth
December 7th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Big XII will take BYU and Cincy. In the event Boise gets in and a MWC spot opens up, the top candidates to fill that spot would be:

1) UTEP
2) UTSA
3) Idaho (if they weren't invited at this point, they should move back down to the Big Sky)
4) New Mexico St
5) Rice

Montana could be pretty high on that list but they recently turned down a WAC invite if I remember correctly. If NDSU decides they really want to move up, they'll land in the MAC.

I don't think ndsu would be interested in a move down to the mac. I also think they are a little higher on the mwc radar than others think, but they would not be in the top 5 right now. In 5 years, with a new bb facility and continued success, they would be in the running. Maybe not option #1, but they'd be in the discussion. Nmst and idaho will never join the mwc.

344Johnson
December 7th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Going to the MAC is certainly not a downward move.

NY Crusader 2010
December 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Nmst and idaho will never join the mwc.

I have to assume it's because they'd never be INVITED, not because they wouldn't want to join. But if those schools couldn't even get into a watered-down MWC, why even remain FBS at this point? If Idaho can't squeeze into a league with Utah State and Nevada, what are they doing up there? I did notice that they re-joined the Big Sky for their other sports since the WAC has become re-badged with the likes of Utah Valley, Seattle, Grand Canyon and UT-Pan Am.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Holy crap.

north dakota doesnt have much nut money they gotts

BisonFan02
December 8th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Wouldn't get the invite to start.

Would have to double athletic budget, likely build a new stadium, and pay travel for all sports where the shortest trip is Wyoming….

I'm not an NDSU expert, but I would guess it would be a very tough internal call to make. It might be accepted because you "can't pass that up" OR stand point but I would bet they know NDSU isn't close to ready

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Winindy
December 8th, 2014, 04:32 AM

Breaking off FBS into the "Power 5 conferences" and having a 4 spot playoff made little sense to me. 6 teams should have been the minimum they looked at, and 8 should have been the number. You'd take the 5 conference champions as auto qualifiers and 1 at large with 6 using 2 first round byes, but 8 would have been a better number obviously. And I use obviously knowing that it's obvious to all but the morons running FBS.

THE HERD
December 8th, 2014, 09:06 AM
It just won't happen and the reason is $$$$$$! Now if the state legislature really wanted to try and push NDSU into another stratosphere, such as Big XII then it would be doable, because the state has something like 3 billion sitting in the coffers.......this too will never happen. If the state was smart they would really get behind this success that Bison football is riding right now and try to get them into one of these big conferences if it was at all plausible to be accepted. It would pay huge dividends for the state in general down the road. In order to do this the state of ND would have to shut down some of these little colleges around the state, such as Minot St, Valley City St, Mayville St etc. Fargo could be like Lincoln Nebraska with the Huskers pretty easily in my opinion if NDSU had the financial backing, but as I said it just won't happen. The money is there though and I believe over a period of time it would take less money from the state to keep it going, due to increased fan support, TV contracts etc. If we had Oklahoma, Texas, KState coming into to Fargo you could damn well bet there would be a ton load more casual fans jumping on board and coming to the games. We would need a new stadium obviously, but with the state behind it that would be no problem....I would think a 35-40k seating stadium would be adequate. Again none of this will happen, but when you think about in these terms it is plausible. The state of ND is too cheap and too stuck in their mind set of were just little ol North Dakota we could never do something like that. I know some of this is farfetched, but in reality all it would take would be that commitment from the state to invest in NDSU to make it happen......but again it never will.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 09:08 AM
If it is any of those, it would be Colorado State.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I cant wait for the Big12 to have a conference championship game because its almost a guarantee that a bubble team will lose and miss the playoffs.

Book it.

ysubigred
December 8th, 2014, 09:33 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-28RHlm7ggms/TlIQ12_XHUI/AAAAAAAAVxg/NqavB2FuW60/s1600/gif%2Bfunny%2Bimages-1.gif\

NDSU to the Big 12 the same year YSU goes to the ACC xpopcornx

344Johnson
December 8th, 2014, 09:43 AM
It just won't happen and the reason is $$$$$$! Now if the state legislature really wanted to try and push NDSU into another stratosphere, such as Big XII then it would be doable, because the state has something like 3 billion sitting in the coffers.......this too will never happen. If the state was smart they would really get behind this success that Bison football is riding right now and try to get them into one of these big conferences if it was at all plausible to be accepted. It would pay huge dividends for the state in general down the road. In order to do this the state of ND would have to shut down some of these little colleges around the state, such as Minot St, Valley City St, Mayville St etc. Fargo could be like Lincoln Nebraska with the Huskers pretty easily in my opinion if NDSU had the financial backing, but as I said it just won't happen. The money is there though and I believe over a period of time it would take less money from the state to keep it going, due to increased fan support, TV contracts etc. If we had Oklahoma, Texas, KState coming into to Fargo you could damn well bet there would be a ton load more casual fans jumping on board and coming to the games. We would need a new stadium obviously, but with the state behind it that would be no problem....I would think a 35-40k seating stadium would be adequate. Again none of this will happen, but when you think about in these terms it is plausible. The state of ND is too cheap and too stuck in their mind set of were just little ol North Dakota we could never do something like that. I know some of this is farfetched, but in reality all it would take would be that commitment from the state to invest in NDSU to make it happen......but again it never will.

ND has two big schools. ND will not allow one school to be that much above the other.

NDSU would be Iowa State in big 12 football and just downright awful in every other sport.

clenz
December 8th, 2014, 09:59 AM
ND has two big schools. ND will not allow one school to be that much above the other.

NDSU would be Iowa State in big 12 football and just downright awful in every other sport.
So….

Downright awful in every sport?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Not only do I think NDSU will be in the Big XII, but I think Bowlsby will make motions to help the Fightin' Nothings to disband football.

Also Texas will bow to the north every day at 12:37 and bow to their new overlords. xlolx

GABison
December 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM

I am not seeing any purple font, so you leave me no choice but to consider you a dumb ass. Geez.

344Johnson
December 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM
So….

Downright awful in every sport?

Check that, wrestling would maybe be okay. Seems like we are really improving there.

I am not seeing any purple font, so you leave me no choice but to consider you a dumb ass. Geez.

Two consistent opportunities annually for a win. Kansas and Iowa State. Maybe K State if they go back to sucking after Snyder. Maybe Tech sometimes? Maybe West Virginia?

Would never win a conference championship in football.

GABison
December 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Check that, wrestling would maybe be okay. Seems like we are really improving there.

Two consistent opportunities annually for a win. Kansas and Iowa State. Maybe K State if they go back to sucking after Snyder. Maybe Tech sometimes? Maybe West Virginia?

Well that's a little better. We've gone from downright awful in every sport to not winning the conference championship in football.

ysubigred
December 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Or a National Championship... What a **** job TCU and or Baylor got from the NCAA.. Goooo Buckeyes xasswhipx

344Johnson
December 8th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Well that's a little better. We've gone from downright awful in every sport to not winning the conference championship in football.

Okay. We wouldn't win a conference title in any sport. How good would fan support be after NDSU is consistently putting a 3-9 or 4-8 type team on the field?

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Goooo Buckeyes xasswhipx

Why would I expect anything else from a YSU fan? Half of the fans in your stands wear Buckeye gear to your games. :D

ysubigred
December 8th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Why would I expect anything else from a YSU fan? Half of the fans in your stands wear Buckeye gear to your games. :D

You missed my sarcasm! I hate the Suckeyes and quit going to YSU games because I see more tOSU gear than YSU.. xdrunkyx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM
My wife got her PhD at Ohio State so the Buckeyes are probably the only FBS team I really care about.

They're going to get murdered by Alabama though.

GABison
December 8th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Okay. We wouldn't win a conference title in any sport. How good would fan support be after NDSU is consistently putting a 3-9 or 4-8 type team on the field?

We've been down that road and I believe we came out of it okay.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that we would ever get an invite to the Big 12. The reason being the size of the student body, not the quality or success of our athletic department.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 12:20 PM
We've been down that road and I believe we came out of it okay.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that we would ever get an invite to the Big 12. The reason being the size of the student body, not the quality or success of our athletic department.

this is about it. NDSU is the perfect size for FCS. Private schools notwithstanding the ideal FCS school is between 15k and 20k. Montana, UNI, xDSU, Sam Houston are all in the right range.

December 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
NDSU going to FBS level is a non starter. The have the facilities and backing to be a great FCS program. We simply are not a large enough school for FBS.

GABison
December 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM
this is about it. NDSU is the perfect size for FCS. Private schools notwithstanding the ideal FCS school is between 15k and 20k. Montana, UNI, xDSU, Sam Houston are all in the right range.

Have to disagree with you here a little ND4. We are not big enough to be in a P5 conference, but I think we sure could be competitive with the likes of Wyoming, Colorado State and Central Michigan, don't you? I am well aware of the playoff argument. But what if the G5 conferences came up with a playoff system? Would you be in favor of moving up then?

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Have to disagree with you here a little ND4. We are not big enough to be in a P5 conference, but I think we sure could be competitive with the likes of Wyoming, Colorado State and Central Michigan, don't you? I am well aware of the playoff argument. But what if the G5 conferences came up with a playoff system? Would you be in favor of moving up then?

I'm in...as long as there is a playoff. Not interested in the Generic Toilet Paper Bowl.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM

It's a waste of money. Would need at least $8 million more per year to be at the bottom of the barrel. Couple that with a stadium that's about 2/3 the size of even the smallest stadiums in the MWC.

clenz
December 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM
It's a waste of money. Would need at least $8 million more per year to be at the bottom of the barrel. Couple that with a stadium that's about 2/3 the size of even the smallest stadiums in the MWC.
This is the kicker. The MWC and AAC… and even most of CUSA… are all heads and shoulders ahead of even the best fcs programs

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Well $8 million in the MAC would put us near the top.

I don't think NDSU really fits well with the FCS. I don't think we fit well with the top of the FBS either.

NDSU should be a MAC school, problem is the MAC is too far away. The old WAC was a place for a school like NDSU to move into and grow. Too bad it is dead, so we are stuck.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM
This is the kicker. The MWC and AAC… and even most of CUSA… are all heads and shoulders ahead of even the best fcs programs

and to what end? We saw that not even a Big 12 team can crack the playoffs, nobody in the lower 5 has a chance.

GABison
December 8th, 2014, 01:34 PM
If the P5, G5 and FCS all had a playoff system, where should NDSU be?

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
If the P5, G5 and FCS all had a playoff system, where should NDSU be?

G5 without a doubt.

NY Crusader 2010
December 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
NDSU would be a perfect fit for the MAC and a stretch for the MWC. However, they're also in geographical no man's land for any FBS league.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM
You missed my sarcasm! I hate the Suckeyes and quit going to YSU games because I see more tOSU gear than YSU.. xdrunkyx

I also hate the Buckeyes. The first time I went to a game in Youngstown was a great experience. I hope you guys get that magic back.

CHIP72
December 8th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I think North Dakota State's biggest problems as it relates to moving to FBS are that 1) there are two "state" universities in 2) a very rural, low population state (which has changed somewhat due to the Bakken formation and fracking, though most of that growth is in the western part of the state while most of the more established population in the state is in the eastern half or third of the state). If NDSU (or for that matter UND) was the only "state" school in North Dakota, it could potentially function similar to a Nebraska or even more so a Wyoming college sports-wise. However, because both NDSU and UND exist, it probably makes it hard for one school to get a push to move up without the other school getting a similar push, and that probably isn't feasible in a rural, low population state like North Dakota. The facts that the northern Great Plains is one of the least populated areas of the U.S. and there are very, very few Division I-A/FBS schools located near North Dakota (the state) don't help matters.

Go...gate
December 8th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Colorado State and Boise State actually make some sense.

NY Crusader 2010
December 8th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Colorado State and Boise State actually make some sense.

BYU probably makes the most sense. If they decline or aren't invited, one of the MWC schools will be. Cincinnati would make the most sense as the 12th school followed closely by Memphis. I don't see the Big XII going as far East as UConn...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM
BYU has a Liberty problem.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
These numbers surprised me a bit.

FCS fundingOperating budgets of 10 of the 16 remaining FCS playoff teams (not every program responded to a Times Free Press request for the football budget):
• Eastern Washington:$4,049,000
• Illinois State: $3,200,000
• Indiana State: $2,934,897
• Jacksonville State:$2,770,566
• Montana: $3,400,000
• New Hampshire: $3,800,000
• North Dakota State:$3,029,500
• Northern Iowa: $3,053,049
• Villanova: $6,200,000
• UTC: $2,900,000

OSBF
December 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM

http://locable-assets-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/resource/file/66302/gallery_A-sellout-crowd-of-41031-packed-Bulldog-Stadium-for-a-Blackout-game-against-Nevada-on-November-2..jpg

http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/nevada-mackay-stadium-aerial.jpg

http://www.ocjones.com/manager/uploads/sliderpic/1351676139_1351639882_Homepage%20Slide%20-%20PARTNERING%20with%20every%20client.jpg

http://nemaha.net/pics/gallerypic/25/Sonny_Lubick_Field_at_Hughes_Stadium_upload_a.jpg

http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/dd1dd1f0f14f1f7ddd41952603efb3f1dbabd2bd.jpg-590x1000.png

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wyo/graphics/facilities/wyo-12-facilities-top-main-new.jpg

THIS took much effort

I don't have a dog in this fight but man, I applaud the effort put into this post

Well Done

Twentysix
December 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM

FCS funding

Operating budgets of 10 of the 16 remaining FCS playoff teams (not every program responded to a Times Free Press request for the football budget):

Villanova's budget must be almost exclusively tuition. $59,000 per scholly.

gotts
December 8th, 2014, 09:26 PM
north dakota doesnt have much nut money they gotts

you rang?

CrazyCat
December 8th, 2014, 10:08 PM

FCS funding

Operating budgets of 10 of the 16 remaining FCS playoff teams (not every program responded to a Times Free Press request for the football budget):

Source?

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I think the B12 champion should play the MVFC Champion to see who makes the final four.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Source?
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/05/alive-and-very-well-utc-football-rises-from-death/

I'm surprised Coastal didn't respond, being a public institution.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2014, 03:23 AM
I think the B12 champion should play the MVFC Champion to see who makes the final four.

Do the champions of the B12 play in the Vitamin Booster-Shot Bowl?

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 03:34 AM
The few numbers I checked are the same as the Dept of Ed tool except UTC is a little higher.

To fill in the gaps:

Coastal: $5.3 million
Liberty: $6.8 million
Sam Houston: $3.5 million
Richmond: $6 million
South Dakota St: $3 million
Fordham: $5.8 million

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2014, 08:48 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/05/alive-and-very-well-utc-football-rises-from-death/

Im guessing it was a last second thing. Catch the wrong person on vacation or whatever and you will have to wait a week

I was absolutely STUNNED to see where ISUb is to the other comparable schools, As in, Where the **** is all the money going.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Do the champions of the B12 play in the Vitamin Booster-Shot Bowl?

You misspelled deer antler spray bowl

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2014, 09:45 AM
The few numbers I checked are the same as the Dept of Ed tool except UTC is a little higher.

To fill in the gaps:

Coastal: $5.3 million
Liberty: $6.8 million
Sam Houston: $3.5 million
Richmond: $6 million
South Dakota St: $3 million
Fordham: $5.8 million

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

According to this website, NDSU's athletic spending is in line with the Mountain West Conference. While the Big 12 may be a stretch, the Mountain West could be logical step up for the Bison and they could compete almost immediately.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 09:48 AM
According to this website, NDSU's athletic spending is in line with the Mountain West Conference. While the Big 12 may be a stretch, the Mountain West could be logical step up for the Bison and they could compete almost immediately.

Compete for what?

CrazyCat
December 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM

If you are using Total expenses for football then UM would be $6.3

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Got a fresh batch for anyone that runs out.

http://www.history.com/images/media/slideshow/aguascalientes-mexico/aguascalientes-popcorn-vendor.jpg

813Jag
December 9th, 2014, 10:35 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/293/590/6f6.gif

AmsterBison
December 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Is the Big 12 expanding to 36 teams?

344Johnson
December 9th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Compete for what?

A conference title at the highest level of scholarships

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 11:03 AM

BFD

344Johnson
December 9th, 2014, 11:29 AM
BFD

Hmm so you enjoy watching teams from the Missouri Valley more than you would enjoy annual games with the likes of Colorado St., Air Force, Boise, Utah St, Nevada, etc? Schools that are capable of putting butts in the seats?

I doubt NDSU will ever get into the Mountain West.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Hmm so you enjoy watching teams from the Missouri Valley more than you would enjoy annual games with the likes of Colorado St., Air Force, Boise, Utah St, Nevada, etc? Schools that are capable of putting butts in the seats?

I doubt NDSU will ever get into the Mountain West.

You can compete for the major bowl spot. The AAC and MWC will battle it out for it 9/10 years. I think in the right year a school like Boise, UCF, Cincinnati, ECU etc. could get serious playoff consideration. A couple of those Boise team from 2006-2010 would have been on the cusp. TCU likely makes it out of the MWC in 2010.

I don't see anything drastic happening in the immediate future. I think Cincinnati, Boise, UConn, Memphis, UCF etc. continue to wait....

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Notre Dame to the MWC! Conference championships! Hooray!

344Johnson
December 10th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Notre Dame to the MWC! Conference championships! Hooray!

Nah, my boys are a unique entity. I'd sooner see them drop athletics entirely.

katstrapper
December 10th, 2014, 01:11 AM
With the Big 12 Commish coming out and saying the Big 12 will be evaluating how they will have their Comference Champ crowned in football, it is anticipated they will be looking to invite teams into their fold.

Some teams mentioned for possible invites are BYU, Boise State, Colorado State, Memphis, Houston, UConn, Cincinnati and UCF. With this in mind, could North Dakota State be worth a look for the Big 12 in their likely expansion for a Conference Champ. Game?

Plenty of talk about this on Houston sportstalk radio today. Many think that if they do expand that Univ of Houston could possibly try to join. They just completely renovated their stadium and doubled the capacity. Plus, Houston could be a major market for the Big 12. I think it is all interesting timing since they fired their head coach yesterday and they are looking to make a splash.

Texas
December 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Plenty of talk about this on Houston sportstalk radio today. Many think that if they do expand that Univ of Houston could possibly try to join. They just completely renovated their stadium and doubled the capacity. Plus, Houston could be a major market for the Big 12. I think it is all interesting timing since they fired their head coach yesterday and they are looking to make a splash.

Big 12 doesn't want anymore Texas schools. They will be looking else where

ysubigred
December 10th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I also hate the Buckeyes. The first time I went to a game in Youngstown was a great experience. I hope you guys get that magic back.

Trying.. We'll see if this Pellini thing works out.. He's a big name but I'm not sure "IF" he's the right fit. Had unlimited resources and cream of the crop recruits and didn't win the NC at Nebraska xconfusedx

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Nah, my boys are a unique entity. I'd sooner see them drop athletics entirely.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/516038961/demotivational_unique_magnet.jpg?height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true
You are a really special snowflake 344....

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM
The Big 12 or any of the P5 teams can think about NDSU all they want. Fact is we MIGHT be able to raise the additional money for ONE year. Thats it. No way we can compete financially with the big dogs.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
The Big 12 or any of the P5 teams can think about NDSU all they want. Fact is we MIGHT be able to raise the additional money for ONE year. Thats it. No way we can compete financially with the big dogs.

Real talk.xnodx

344Johnson
December 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM
http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/516038961/demotivational_unique_magnet.jpg?height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true
You are a really special snowflake 344....

You went to Jamestown College, no?

People pay like 20K/year to go there and feel special by playing some NAIA athletics.

BisonBacker
December 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Now this would be more likely than the original posters post and I don't see this happening either.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Now this would be more likely than the original posters post and I don't see this happening either.
I have a better chance at getting Ariana Grande to agree to have coitus with me than pretty much any scenario laid out involving NDSU and the MWC or higher

BisonBacker
December 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
We do quite well against b12 basketball

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalkxlolx

BisonBacker
December 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Sounds familiar when the jump was made to DI FCS. xrolleyesx

BisonBacker
December 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Sometimes I have to wonder about you. Head and shoulders??? Yeah right xbangx

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Sometimes I have to wonder about you. Head and shoulders??? Yeah right xbangx
In terms of money, facilities, preexisting exposure...

It's not even ****ing close.

Do I need to repost my post regarding facilities and athletic budgets?

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I was going to post a photo of Araina Grande with a witty remark about coitus. I had no idea who she was, but when I found her picture I thought better of it. I don't really want the FBI at my doorstep.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I was going to post a photo of Araina Grande with a witty remark about coitus. I had no idea who she was, but when I found her picture I thought better of it. I don't really want the FBI at my doorstep.

Don't worry, she's legal.

Mostly because I'm pretty sure she's a robot.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I've already done the MWC...

Let's try the AAC

Central Florida - 60k students - Bright House Networks Stadium - 45k capacity - $42 million athletic budget
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2202/1712650773_265b2075d0.jpg

Cincinnati - 42k students - Nippert Stadium - 35k capacity (going well over 40k by next season by adding second decks) - 62 million athletic budget
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/genrel/auto_index_wide_player/8866893.jpeg

Connecticut - 30k students - Rentschler Field - 41k capacity - $63 million dollar athletic budget
http://www.gilbaneco.com/uploadedImages/Home/Building/Success_Stories/Project_Portfilio/Sports_Recreation/University_of_Connecticut_Rentschler_Field/Stadium3.jpg

East Carolina - 28k students - Dowdy Ficken Stadium - 50k capacity with plans to go to 60k plus - 37 million athletic budget
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yAJsx6gI_IM/TgyBzg05bvI/AAAAAAAAAcI/RYBDz-jH0c4/s1600/ECU%2BAerial%2BStadium.jpg

Houston - 41k Students - TDECU Stadium - 40k capacity - $42 million athletic budget
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/c0.268.851.315/p851x315/10623301_512234632253224_8770970386355012349_o.jpg

Memphis - 22k students - Liberty Bowl - 60k capacity - 43 million athletic budget
http://uswfl.com/images/stadiums/memphis_liberty_bowl.jpg

South Florida - 46k students - Raymond James Stadium - 66k capacity - 45 million athletic budget
http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/running_with_the_bulls/RKTDNQRXEAVFIJK.20080824120625.jpg

Southern Methodist - 12k students (private) - Gerald J Ford Stadium - 32k capacity - private but suspected at about million
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/smu/graphics/auto/Ford_01.jpg

Temple - 38k students - Lincoln Financial Field - 67k capacity - private...44 million reported online
http://www.turnerconstruction.com/Files/ProjectImage?url=%2Fsites%2Fmarketingstories%2FMar keting%2520Story%2520Images%2Foriginal.933c9824-6037-48ae-abdb-d0d15ea84adc.jpg&width=707&height=470&crop=True&jpegQuality=95

Tulane - 14k students (fresh move up from CUSA) - Yulman Stadium - 30k capacity - private...30 million reported for 12-13. School said likely to be around 40-45m this year for just to AAC http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/06/tulane_to_enter_a_bigger_money.html
http://www.woodwarddesignbuild.com/images/cache/images/uploads/projects/slides/TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

Tulsa - 5k students (private) - Skelly Stadium - 30k capacity - private...can't find a good number for them but the AAC averages about 42 million per school. Brand new to AAC...move up from CUSA
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tuls/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/3415488.jpeg

Again...even the smallest AAC schools have much larger stadiums, at least double the athletic budget, much larger media markets, etc...

Tell me how I was wrong again.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, she's legal.

Mostly because I'm pretty sure she's a robot.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM
For comparison again...

NDSU

NDSU - 14K students - Fargodome - 19K (fixed) - 18 million athletic budget

- - - Updated - - -

For full comparison to this point...the MWC again

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Why can't everyone just squeeze together. No reason you can't fit 20-40k in there

am I mistaken that the Utah State field plays as a short dogleg?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Why can't everyone just squeeze together. No reason you can't fit 20-40k in there

am I mistaken that the Utah State field plays as a short dogleg?

As in golf? :p

I'm trying to figure out how New Mexico's stadium has 14k more seats than Utah State's digs.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM

I'm trying to figure out how New Mexico's stadium has 14k more seats than Utah State's digs.
Native magic

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Native magic

I have no idea how that stadium has 40k seats. Especially when you look at it relative to some of those other places. That EZ section looks small and it doesn't connect. The home and away sides don't look much different than Lehigh's Goodman Stadium....

The AAC has nicer stadiums than the MWC. I'm actually surprised by how much. It would not take much for Montana or Montana State to reach MWC level facility wise.

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Yes golf, it was a joke about the jacked up photo. Not sure if that was a sarcasm question

maybe I'm thinking they counted how many people could fit inside the stadium including the field.

clenz
December 11th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Because why not continue our little tour....

Eventually I'll put these all into 1 post that can be referenced.

Today's stop on the "FBS conferences are actually pretty well a head of FCS conferences in budget and facility, even if not in competition, tour" - CUSA

Florida Atlantic - 30k students - $25m athletic budget - FAU Stadium - 30k capacity (expandable to 65k rather easily)
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--aUa2gmmg--/18fc1qf0zpkobjpg.jpg

Florida International - 48k students - $28m athletic budget - FIU Stadium - 23k capacity
http://www.120tickets.com/teams/fiu/pics/fiu5.jpg

Louisana Tech - 12k students - $19m athletic budget - Joe Aillet Stadium - 28k capacity starting in 2015
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/26418157.jpg

Soon to look more like this in one endzone
http://abwarchitects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Techfieldhouse_01-722x481.jpg

Marshall - 15k students - $28m athletic budget - Joan C Edwards Stadium - 38k capacity
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/112149174.jpg

Middle Tennessee State - 22k students - $28m athletic budget - Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium - 31k capacity
http://wkrn.images.worldnow.com/images/23790316_SA.jpg

UNC-Charlotte - 26k students - $27m athletic budget - Richardson Stadium - 15.2k capacity - an FCS in disguise as an FBS
http://photos.clearskyimages.com/img/s4/v63/p1397306196-3.jpg

North Texas - 35k students - $29 athletic budget - Apogee Stadium - 30k capacity
http://www.meangreenmap.com/images/apogee/apogee1.jpg

Old Dominion - 25k students - $37m athletic budget - Foreman Field - 20k capacity - plan in early stages to expand to over 30k or build a new 40k stadium
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/CS/CSTEFYEILOKKXPT.20140623203809.jpg

Rice - 6k students (private) - can't find a realiable budget number - Rice Stadium - 47k capacity (expandable to 70k)
http://az100346.vo.msecnd.net/content/images/bowlbus/stadiums/ricestadium/primary.jpg

Southern Mississippi - 16k students - $23m athletic budget - MM Roberst Stadium - 36k capacity
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/smis/graphics/roberts-stadium-900w.jpg

UTEP - 23K students - $30m athletic budget - Sun Bowl - 51k capacity
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utep/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/6234482.jpeg

UTSA - 31k students - $24m athletic budget - Alamo Dome - 72k capacity
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/IhSy4ub4Weiy6sEOsENoJA/l.jpg

Western Kentucky - 21k students - $28m athletic budget - Houchens Industries–L. T. Smith Stadium - 23k capacity
http://www.wku.edu/graduate/images/slider/houchens_smith_stadium.jpg

clenz
December 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Well, we're certainly getting closer.

At this point CUSA is nothing other than start ups and programs that were FCS not more than 10-15 years ago.

Stadiums still MUCH nicer than anything in the FCS right now (sans a small handful) and larger. Endowments for most of those schools are quite large as well.

I think there is a good number of FCS programs that could be competitive against CUSA, but most would need to increase budgets 10-15 million to get up to "Average" for budgets in CUSA.

So...

FargoBison
December 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Wow the CUSA budgets were a bit less than I expected. They seem very MACish....I guess with realignment I shouldn't be surprised.

clenz
December 11th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Wow the CUSA budgets were a bit less than I expected. They seem very MACish....I guess with realignment I shouldn't be surprised.
Thats exactly why.

Go back a couple years and you have schools like Cinci and Louisville. Those were replaced with Western Kentucky and FIU line schools

marenlee
December 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Some of those stadiums are fairly new/renovated. Something NDSU fans can only dream about at the moment. NDSU athletic budget is actually on par with a few of these schools and not too far behind a lot of them. And to poke fun, attendance at many of these stadiums would be more realistic if you posted the Charlotte stadium 12 times.

clenz
December 11th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Some of those stadiums are fairly new/renovated. Something NDSU fans can only dream about at the moment. NDSU athletic budget is actually on par with a few of these schools and not too far behind a lot of them. And to poke fun, attendance at many of these stadiums would be more realistic if you posted the Charlotte stadium 12 times.
NDSU is around 17 million for a budget.

If 10 million is on par...then...

clenz
December 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Remember those that are on the low end are realigned SBC teams...

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 04:26 PM
On today’s G5 football facility tour…the MAC

MAC East
Akron – 25k students – $28m athletic budget – InfoCision Stadium – 30k capacity
http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Picture-15.png

Bowling Green State – 19k students – $24m athletic budget – Doyt Perry Stadium – 24k capacity
http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/MidAmerica/BowlingGreen/aerial.jpg

Buffalo – 30k students – $29m athletic budget – Unviersity at Buffalo Stadium – 31k capacity
http://cdn87.psbin.com/img/mw=750/mh=458/cr=n/d=66h5f/0ooyi5pzoqercx8v.jpg

Massachusetts – 27k students - $31m athletic budget – Gillete Stadium – 69k capacity
http://www.gossipcraze.com/_mm/_d/_ext/41180/big_Gillette%20Stadium01.jpg

Miami (OH) – 21K students – $29m athletic budget – Yager Stadium – 25k capacity
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/yager-stadium_gallery_1396215157_zps1570566b.jpg?t=14183 35075

Ohio – 22k students – $28m athletic Budget – Peden Stadium – 24k capacity
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/yager-stadium_gallery_1396215157_zps1570566b.jpg?t=14183 35075

MAC West

Ball State – 21k students – $22m athletic budget – Scheumann Stadium – 23k capacity
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics/640/LA/LAQTREJUQZRWGTQ.20090820172828.jpg

Central Michigan – 28k students – $28m athletic budget – Kelly/Shorts Sadium – 45k capacity
https://www.cmich.edu/fas/police/PublishingImages/Stadium.png

Eastern Michigan – 23k students – $28m athletic budget – Rynearson Stadium – 31k capacity
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/264_zps44409286.jpg

Northern Illinois – 26k students – $27m athletic budget – Huskie Stadium – 24k capacity
http://www.niutoday.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/huskie-stadium.jpg

Toledo – 23k students – $24m athletic budget – The Glass Bowl – 27k budget (can hold over 35k)
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/BY/BYQEZAKQIAIVKCX.20120816144647.jpg

Western Michigan – 25k students – $29m athletic budget – Waldo Stadium – 31k capacity
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics11/640/HP/HPGOCPPYVADUJPT.20090929222344.jpg

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
We certainly are getting closer once we get to the 4th smallest of the G5...

Next up - the Sun Belt. I think we might finally have a winner

813Jag
December 12th, 2014, 04:53 PM
That EMU pic is classic

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM
That EMU pic is classic

I thought the empty seats was very fitting for them. I also noticed they had a grey field...UGLY. I wonder how much of those teams athletic budgets are propped up by big media contracts.

I still would not support a move up until the power 5 breakaway and NDSU ends up in the 2nd tier of football.

Dewey

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I thought the empty seats was very fitting for them. I also noticed they had a grey field...UGLY. I wonder how much of those teams athletic budgets are propped up by big media contracts.

I still would not support a move up until the power 5 breakaway and NDSU ends up in the 2nd tier of football.

Dewey
Im not sure that picture is from an emu gamr...

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Im not sure that picture is from an emu gamr...

Good point...there would probably be less:-) The field is still ugly.

Dewey

NoCoDanny
December 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
NDSU is dominate at this level and wins their yearly games at that level, K State, etc. but now you're talking about playing regular conference games against the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, etc...

Laker
December 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Yesterday on my way to the game they were talking to a reporter who covers the Big 12. He claims that they probably WON'T expand anytime soon. There are 4 spots for 5 power conferences. You can get an F in math and still figure out that someone gets left out.

Hammerhead
December 14th, 2014, 08:55 PM
The NCAA lists an average attendance of 4,051 in 2013 at Eastern Michigan football games.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf

Dewey

clenz
December 14th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Coming tomorrow....the Sun Belt.

I will also be doing all FCS conferences as well...

Because I have no life.

This will all get moved into it's own thread as well.

CasualFan
December 14th, 2014, 09:12 PM
This is dated 2013 clenz, but you might be interested: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Athletic revenue, expenses, and subsidies for various NCAA schools.

clenz
December 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
This is dated 2013 clenz, but you might be interested: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Athletic revenue, expenses, and subsidies for various NCAA schools.
I've been using DOE numbers.

The ones I cant' find are because they are private and aren't required to publicize them and have no solid rumors online.

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I'm working on the SBC right now...

Wow...we have an FCS conference with oversized stadiums if I've ever seen one.

There are only 2 or 3...maybe 4...maybe schools that could make a legit FBS case

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 09:10 AM
To avoid large pictures trying to load...I went a new route with the SBC and will be adding the previous to their own shows as well.

I present you the Sun Belt Conference

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cCE3bmo9LPnWBr--WhEvSeUJwvnZY128RtDOYef7snI/edit?usp=sharing

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 09:11 AM
You'll notice I'm picking pictures of completely full or completely empty stadiums.

I'm doing that on purpose.

Obviously average at 98% of these places isn't near full

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 09:15 AM
To avoid large pictures trying to load...I went a new route with the SBC and will be adding the previous to their own shows as well.

I present you the Sun Belt Conference

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cCE3bmo9LPnWBr--WhEvSeUJwvnZY128RtDOYef7snI/edit?usp=sharing

How the hell can GSU and ULM compete at FBS with athletic budgets of $13 and $11 million??? How do they pay coaches enough????

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 09:28 AM
How the hell can GSU and ULM compete at FBS with athletic budgets of $13 and $11 million??? How do they pay coaches enough????
To be fair that GSU budget is an FCS budget...I'd be interested to see what the latest numbers are

ULM...well they usually only win 4 games. I don't know if you'd call that competitive.

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 10:25 AM
updated the SBC slide to include averages on the first slide