PDA

View Full Version : OVC situation

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
What do you guys think will happen?

If UT-Martin doesn't win the outright title don't you think they deserve an at-large bid?

This is a team who had one bad game against a good EKU team. Going 9-2 being ranked most of the season should get them in. However I have a feeling they may not receive the bid.

Currently they are sitting at #12 and if they win against Murray it will put them at 9-2 and within the top 16.

shakdaddy3
November 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
i think 9-2 in bascially all of the autobid leagues warrants a playoff spot...

th0m
November 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I agree. You guys have had a solid season so far, 9-2 should definitely get you in.

Chucktown
November 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
What do you guys think will happen?

If UT-Martin doesn't win the outright title don't you think they deserve an at-large bid?

This is a team who had one bad game against a good EKU team. Going 9-2 being ranked most of the season should get them in. However I have a feeling they may not receive the bid.

Currently they are sitting at #12 and if they win against Murray it will put them at 9-2 and within the top 16.

I def think that the skyhawks deserve a spot in the playoffs. But on the other hand, as an EIU fan, we are big tennessee state fans this week. Because i think that martin has a much better shot at an at large at 9-2 than an EIU team of 8-4. I just hope that EIU, TSU, and Martin all win this weekend, so that the OVC should def. get two teams in. But if EIU doesn't get the auto bid, i think that they are very deserving of an at-large at 8-4, with losses to two 1A's and Martin, and Illinois State. We have been ranked the entire season, and currently sit at #17.
GO TSU tigers!!! and if they cant pull it off, come on racers.(very doubtful)

griz37
November 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Can someone explain all the possible scenarios? I know if there is a tie it comes down to a coin toss.

matfu
November 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM
OVC TIEBREAKER

In the event of a tie for the Ohio Valley Conference championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the league's NCAA I-AA playoff representative:

TWO-WAY TIES
1.) A two-way tie shall exist only if the tied teams have the same number of losses.
2.) Should two teams have the same number of losses, and the two teams played each other during the regular season, the winner of the head-to-head contest shall be the league’s postseason representative.
3.) If the two tied teams have the same number of losses, but did not play each other during the regular season, the following procedure shall be utilized to break the tie:
a.) A comparison of each team’s head-to-head record against the team occupying the highest position in the regular-season standings that each team has played. If one team won its game against that team, the winning team shall be declared the representative.
b.) Should the procedure outlined in Item a. fail to break the tie, the process will continue to the next-place team and beyond until the tie is broken.
c.) When arriving at another group of tied teams, composite records between the tying teams shall be utilized to determine if one of the tied teams has won more games against the group of tied teams.
4.) If the procedures described previously fail to break the tie, the representative shall be determined by a coin flip.

MULTIPLE TIES
1.) A multiple tie (three or more teams) shall exist only if the tied teams have the same number of losses.
2.) If all of the teams involved in the multiple tie played each other during the regular season, then the composite records among the tied teams shall be compared to break the tie.
3.) If the process outlined in Step 2 reduces the tie to a tie among two teams, the two-team tiebreaker formula shall then be utilized.
4.) If not all of the tied teams played each other during the regular season, or if step 2 does not break or reduce the tie, the following procedure shall be utilized:
a.) A comparison of each of the tied teams’ head-to-head record against the team occupying the highest position in the regular-season standings that each team has played. If one team won its game against that team, the winning team shall be declared the representative.
b.) Should the procedure outlined in Item a. fail to break the tie, the process will continue to the next-place team and beyond until the tie is broken.
c.) When arriving at another group of tied teams, composite records between the tying teams shall be utilized to determine if one of the tied teams has won more games against the group of tied teams.
5.) If the procedures described previously fail to break the tie, the representative shall be determined by a blind drawing.

Chucktown
November 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM
There is absolutely no coin toss. There can't be a coin toss with 2 teams that dont play each other.
If all teams win this weekend.. EIU, TSU, And Tenn Martin, EIU gets the auto bid.
If EIU wins, TSU loses, and Martin wins... Martin gets the auto bid
If Martin loses, EIU wins, TSU wins... EIU gets bid...
IF EIU loses, Martin wins, TSU wins... Martin gets bid...

So, for EIU fans, we need either martin to lose, or TSU to win. (but EIU must win their last game for any of this to even happen) If EIU wins, and TSU wins, it doesnt even matter what martin does, except for an at large.

If Martin and EIU both win this weekend, the one who doesn't get the auto bid will have a strong case for an at large.
They will be 9-2, and 8-4.
(Martin's losses Ohio, and EKU)
(EIU's losses Illinois, Hawaii, ISU, Martin)

blur2005
November 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Tenn-Martin is in at this point. The committee would much rather have an at-large team from the autobid OVC than a certain team from a certain non-scholarship conference. Actually, it puts a lot less pressure on them by giving the OVC two spots.

bigbluetiger
November 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I noticed you didn't say what happens when EIU and UTM both lose and TSU wins. :eyebrow:

jsualum97
November 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Is Jacksonville State still in this mix??

If JSU wins, Martin loses, and TN St. loses then there will be 4 two loss teams, and the multiple team scenario plays with 4 teams instead of 3.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
If all teams win this weekend.. EIU, TSU, And Tenn Martin, EIU gets the auto bid.
If EIU wins, TSU loses, and Martin wins... Martin gets the auto bid
If Martin loses, EIU wins, TSU wins... EIU gets bid...
IF EIU loses, Martin wins, TSU wins... Martin gets bid...

I'm not sure this is true if all teams win.

MULTIPLE TIES
1.) A multiple tie (three or more teams) shall exist only if the tied teams have the same number of losses.
2.) If all of the teams involved in the multiple tie played each other during the regular season, then the composite records among the tied teams shall be compared to break the tie.

2) does not apply since Martin did not play Tennessee State, right? Martin beat EIU and EIU beat Tennessee State.

3.) If the process outlined in Step 2 reduces the tie to a tie among two teams, the two-team tiebreaker formula shall then be utilized.

This should, then, only apply to a bunch of teams with 2 losses, since the pool of teams isn't "reduced". So we still have Martin, Tennessee State and EIU.

4.) If not all of the tied teams played each other during the regular season, or if step 2 does not break or reduce the tie, the following procedure shall be utilized:
a.) A comparison of each of the tied teams’ head-to-head record against the team occupying the highest position in the regular-season standings that each team has played. If one team won its game against that team, the winning team shall be declared the representative.

I'm confused by this. "If ONE TEAM won its game, the WINNING team shall be declared the representative." But it doesn't say that if one team LOST its game, they fall out of the process.

EKU beat Martin, but both Tennessee State and EIU would have beaten EKU. But as the rules are stated here, it's still not applicable.

5.) If the procedures described previously fail to break the tie, the representative shall be determined by a blind drawing.

So it should go to the drawing, right?

bigbluetiger
November 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM

If JSU wins, Martin loses, and TN St. loses then there will be 4 two loss teams, and the multiple team scenario plays with 4 teams instead of 3.

And I thought I was reaching xlolx

Maroons
November 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Word today out of the league office is that if UTM, EIU and TSU all win and tie with 1 loss, EIU gets the automatic bid.

I can't remember why, though...

Hold on... I'm pretty sure it was because the tie could not be resolved without resorting to this clause:

So you start with the highest finisher outside of the tie... did any of the three lose to Jax St.? Assuming Jax loses to EIU, No.

Did any of the three teams lose to EKU? Yes... Martin... they get tossed out.

Then you have a tie breaker between EIU and TSU and EIU beat them head to head. EIU gets the auto-bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I see what you mean. But the language in the bylaw itself is not very clear at all. It doesn't say anything about two teams having a win, but one having a loss. It implies that only if two teams had losses but one team had a win, they would be the representative. It says "If one team WON", it would apply. But in this case, one team LOST. It doesn't then say they would be thrown out.

I'm not a fan any way or another, I'm just curious.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Well I am glad I am not the only one that thinks UTM deserves a spot in the field. I just hope we go up to Murray and stick it to Griffin.

Chucktown
November 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I agree with all of you. This is the second year in a row that it came down to the end with people talking coin toss, blind draw.... That shouldn't happen in college football. (at least i believe so) It could just be a shame for any of these schools if they do not make it. Because one can be 7-1, another 6-1, and another 6-1. So either team can argue... EIU has to dodge one more bullet than the other 2, but on that same argument, that could get EIU up to 8 wins for an at large. It is just a shame with the amout of teams in the OVC that everyone cant play everyone. I completely understand TSU's situation, and it is just coincidence that they do not play this year. It would just be nice to see one champ, because there could be 3 teams sharing a conference title....

Cocky
November 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I believe we can tie for the championship. but no way to get the AQ.

89Hen
November 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
A little late to the party, but at 9-2 UTM would most definitely be in. That may not be the case every year, but the Committee will be looking for teams this year and the fact that UTM is in the same state as the NC and has never been to the playoffs makes them more attractive IMO. Great turnaround in Martin, now if you could just do something with those helmets. :pumpuke:

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
The tiebreaker, is this a definite from the league office in a press release or speculation (like my post)?

dbackjon
November 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM
If UT-Martin wins Saturday, they definately should get a bid.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM
A little late to the party, but at 9-2 UTM would most definitely be in. That may not be the case every year, but the Committee will be looking for teams this year and the fact that UTM is in the same state as the NC and has never been to the playoffs makes them more attractive IMO. Great turnaround in Martin, now if you could just do something with those helmets. :pumpuke:

Yeah I hate our helmets, we made the change to the current ones this year. I was hoping to see the skyhawk logo on one side or something.

hawkeye
November 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I def think that the skyhawks deserve a spot in the playoffs. But on the other hand, as an EIU fan, we are big tennessee state fans this week. Because i think that martin has a much better shot at an at large at 9-2 than an EIU team of 8-4. I just hope that EIU, TSU, and Martin all win this weekend, so that the OVC should def. get two teams in. But if EIU doesn't get the auto bid, i think that they are very deserving of an at-large at 8-4, with losses to two 1A's and Martin, and Illinois State. We have been ranked the entire season, and currently sit at #17.
GO TSU tigers!!! and if they cant pull it off, come on racers.(very doubtful)

No doubt you guys are the best 8-4 team. Actually should be 8-2 due to IA losses. Whipping TSU also proved something.

EKU05
November 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I don't think the UTM helmets are that bad. I like our new ones two, but the automatic EKU avatar on here is still the old one.

89Hen
November 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah I hate our helmets, we made the change to the current ones this year. I was hoping to see the skyhawk logo on one side or something.
This guy?