PDA

View Full Version : Rematch games

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
What are your thoughts about playing a team in the playoffs that you already faced in the regular season? I kind of like it if you are playing a team you should've beat in the regular season but I'm not a big fan of it otherwise. I like to play some different teams in the playoffs.

I kind of feel for SDSU and EWU…I kind of feel like they are too good to be up against the teams they are playing this week.

Mattymc727
December 2nd, 2014, 02:07 PM
I dont like it either, but thats what happens when you are part of a power conference. If you are in a power conference, and you are good enough to make a run in the playoffs, you are bound to run into a re-match. Plus, the regionalisation makes it worse. Happens every year. Maine had to play UNH back to back last year

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
I think the biggest crime the committee committed was UNI-ISUR. Just look at the brackets and they easily could have swapped SFA-UNI with ISUB-EKU. Both ISUB and EKU are a bus trip away from Normal. There is no reason to have the rematch, could have been easily avoided.

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2014, 02:11 PM
I think the biggest crime the committee committed was UNI-ISUR. Just look at the brackets and they easily could have swapped SFA-UNI with ISUB-EKU. Both ISUB and EKU are a bus trip away from Normal. There is no reason to have the rematch, could have been easily avoided.

I agree with this too and 2 hours would be easier that 6.5 hours for me but we would be playing a team that beat us already. (unless you are talking about a seed having to play that way)

I would actually rather be playing ISUr but it will be nice to play there in the Semisxnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM

Come on. That and UM/EWU are easily going to be the most entertaining games of the entire weekend.

SDSU/NDSU? Not so much.

Redbird Recon
December 2nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
ISUb and EKU are both a bus trip from Chatty. UNI is a bus trip from ISUr. The NCAA got just what they wanted. Also, what's the difference for ISUr? We played ISUb during the regular season w/o their starting QB. Neither matchup is all that favorable for the Redbirds.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
ISUb and EKU are both a bus trip from Chatty. UNI is a bus trip from ISUr. The NCAA got just what they wanted. Also, what's the difference for ISUr? We played ISUb during the regular season w/o their starting QB. Neither matchup is all that favorable for the Redbirds.

This is a bigger deal to UNI, who in my opinion should be the 8 seed. The committee should have just put them on a collision course with Chatty.

ISUR as a #5 seed should have been given the weakest regional opponent.

I loathe regionalization btw. This whole thing is a crock of BS.

THE DANIMAL
December 2nd, 2014, 02:27 PM
What are your thoughts about playing a team in the playoffs that you already faced in the regular season? I kind of like it if you are playing a team you should've beat in the regular season but I'm not a big fan of it otherwise. I like to play some different teams in the playoffs.

I kind of feel for SDSU and EWU…I kind of feel like they are too good to be up against the teams they are playing this week.

Seriously? EWU is too good to play the Griz??

unigriff
December 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
Seriously? EWU is too good to play the Griz??

Yes :)

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
There is something to be said about those who are higher up in the seeds having "easier" routes to the playoffs. Some people subscribe to that theory. I personally don't care any way. If you're going to be the National Champion, you will have to beat anyone that stands in your way.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM
This is a bigger deal to UNI, who in my opinion should be the 8 seed. The committee should have just put them on a collision course with Chatty.

ISUR as a #5 seed should have been given the weakest regional opponent.

I loathe regionalization btw. This whole thing is a crock of BS.

Well I am happy to only have to drive 4 hours to go to this game (which I am doing) than drive 13 hours to Chatty (which I would probably not do).

However, I would much rather be on the side of the bracket that ISUb is on because then we would get Chatty and UNH/Fordham instead of ISUr and EWU/Montana.

unigriff
December 2nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
the winner of our side of the bracket will likely make the championship game. UNH doesn't stand a chance between UNI, ISUr, Montana or EWU. (Tho I wouldn't be surpised to see the Sycs give the Cats a game too).

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
I'm happy to have another shot at EWU, and I'm sure the players and coaches are too.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2014, 08:46 PM
the winner of our side of the bracket will likely make the championship game.

Yes, that's how playoff brackets usually work.

Lehigh'98
December 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM
the winner of our side of the bracket will likely make the championship game. UNH doesn't stand a chance between UNI, ISUr, Montana or EWU. (Tho I wouldn't be surpised to see the Sycs give the Cats a game too).

Its foolish to count out UNH at home in Dec. they hardly ever lose there and the weather could play a big factor. Tough game for EWU or ISUr. UNI matches up better in the snow.

kalm
December 2nd, 2014, 09:30 PM
Its foolish to count out UNH at home in Dec. they hardly ever lose there and the weather could play a big factor. Tough game for EWU or ISUr. UNI matches up better in the snow.

Huh? EWU averages 190 ypg rushing to UNI's 173 and plays in a brutally cold stadium where snow has frequently been a factor in the playoffs. UNI plays indoors. I will admit that their defense is more portable, but that has nothing to do with weather.

Catsfan90
December 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
Lol

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2014, 09:43 PM

I'm not sure the NCAA would pay travel expenses for those 4 teams to watch us play

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Tough game for EWU or ISUr. UNI matches up better in the snow.

Explain, please. EWU would be right in their element playing at UNH. Likely not an advantage for either team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattymc727
December 3rd, 2014, 06:38 AM
Dont forget UNI would potentially have to go from Illinois to Washington and then New Hampshire in 3 weeks. Not saying it cant be done, but thats a lot of travel. Could run out of gas in Durham even if they are a better team.

clenz
December 3rd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Explain, please. EWU would be right in their element playing at UNH. Likely not an advantage for either team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UNI doesn't rely on throwing the ball at all.

Snow, rain, wind, cold balls etc… would have little impact on the offense.

Also don't forget UNI cam practice outside.

Not like its real warm in iowa this time of year

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Herder
December 3rd, 2014, 09:07 AM

You see . . . you are trying to improve the opportunity for the mvfc, while the committee is trying to minimize it under the gize of regionalization. If the committee put sdsu,ndsu,iL st, and uni the 4 sections, they might not have liked the outcome. Now EWU, UNH and other might have had a lot to say about it, but those 4 into the semis wouldn't have been out of the question.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2014, 09:42 AM

I hate to jump to the defense of EWU, but...SDSU didn't when they went to Cheney in December, either.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Dont forget UNI would potentially have to go from Illinois to Washington and then New Hampshire in 3 weeks. Not saying it cant be done, but thats a lot of travel. Could run out of gas in Durham even if they are a better team.

playing 3 weeks in a row on the road is tough, I'm sure. But do the actual locations really make that much difference with air travel and all? I've never really flown much (and never on charter flights), so I don't know, but I wouldn't think a charter flight from Cedar Falls (well, Waterloo) to Cheney, WA or Durham, NH really takes THAT much longer than many of those longer bus rides that teams often do during the season.

According to Google Maps, a flight from UNI to EWU takes about 8 hours, and from UNI to UNH is about 6 hours. No clue if that figures for direct flights or what. Compare that to, for example, Indiana State's 395 mile bus ride to Chatty, which is about 6.5 hours.

kalm
December 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM

And you average less per game on the ground than we do.

Besides, the cold doesn't hamper the passing game that much anyway. Prukop was dropping dimes last week in a blizzard.

Mattymc727
December 3rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
playing 3 weeks in a row on the road is tough, I'm sure. But do the actual locations really make that much difference with air travel and all? I've never really flown much (and never on charter flights), so I don't know, but I wouldn't think a charter flight from Cedar Falls (well, Waterloo) to Cheney, WA or Durham, NH really takes THAT much longer than many of those longer bus rides that teams often do during the season.

According to Google Maps, a flight from UNI to EWU takes about 8 hours, and from UNI to UNH is about 6 hours. No clue if that figures for direct flights or what. Compare that to, for example, Indiana State's 395 mile bus ride to Chatty, which is about 6.5 hours.

Cant speak for EWU, but unless you fly directly into Pease Air Force base in Portsmouth, a team may fly to manchester or boston and hop a bus.

A team can definitely overcome it, hell Towson did quite a bit of travel last year too. However there are many many examples of good teams having to travel far and just playing a crap game. My favorite example is Villanova in 2010, fresh off a title. That was a heck of a team. They played SFA in Texas and destroyed them, then destroyed App State in North Carolina, and then flew out to EWU for the semifinals and collapsed in the second half, losing 41-31. I was shocked by that, and it seemed clear to me the kids just looked beat.

Meanwhile, UNH will be sitting at home for a bye and 3 weeks, no travel at all. UNI may be the better team, but thats a tall order over a span of 4 weeks. Saying UNI would go to Durham and beat UNH easily in the semi's seems far fetched to me.

UNH may be in the best bracket of all. If ISU beats Chatty, they too have to make another long trek to Durham (Barring a Fordham upset). Even if its EWU or Montana over UNI, still a tough trip for everyone going into the dungeon.

Alas, UNI was able to do it in 2005.....

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
And you average less per game on the ground than we do.
yes, accumulating a slightly higher rush yds per game average is certainly an impressive meaningful statistic given those vaunted Big Sky defenses that EWU has played against all year.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
The fact that 3 of the 8 games are conference rematches is ridiculous.

Part of the excitement of playoff football is supposed to be taking on good teams that you don't get to play against in the regular season (since the structure of FCS scheduling doesn't tend towards that many high quality OOC games). But instead it becomes yet another conference matchup.

veinup
December 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
yes, accumulating a slightly higher rush yds per game average is certainly an impressive meaningful statistic given those vaunted Big Sky defenses that EWU has played against all year.

hahahahah

thats funny.

kalm
December 3rd, 2014, 10:59 AM

Well let's see here. The last time we faced an impenetrable Valley D was last year against SDSU. We only ran for 287.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2014, 11:16 AM
Well let's see here. The last time we faced an impenetrable Valley D was last year against SDSU. We only ran for 287.

How can they be expected to perform in the playoffs after playing in a meat grinder conference that's tougher than the NFC South? C'mon man.

veinup
December 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
and now they have to beat eachother up in the playoffs :(

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM

And last week SDSU faced such a tough Big Sky defense that Zenner had 252 yards. He had 176 combined against UNI and NDSU.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Just goes to show that stat comparison doesn't necessarily mean squat when trying to predict upcoming game performances.

kalm
December 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Neither does assuming a Valley team runs the ball better than a Big sky team.

unigriff
December 3rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
I didn't see 3 running backs in the top 10 for the Payton from the Big Sky...did you?

What was that stat line

3 RBs with a combined 5100 rushing yards 63 Total TDs and close to 1000 receiving yards?

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM

I don't see the MVFC as a whole showing any great dominance in defense - at least not based on the MSU/SDSU game. SDSU only held us to about 20 yards below our average for the year, and that was in a blizzard with our QB and top RB playing injured.

kalm
December 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
I didn't see 3 running backs in the top 10 for the Payton from the Big Sky...did you?

What was that stat line

3 RBs with a combined 5100 rushing yards 63 Total TDs and close to 1000 receiving yards?

We also throw the ball so our back's numbers tend to get bogarted by our receivers and QB's.

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
And last week SDSU faced such a tough Big Sky defense that Zenner had 252 yards. He had 176 combined against UNI and NDSU.

No one has claimed that MSU has a tough defense. Our D sucked this year - not only bad in the Big Sky Conf, but bad nationally. How well did that work for UNI, limiting ZZ's rushing yards to probably half what MSU let him have? Same result we had - a loss.

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Just goes to show that stat comparison doesn't necessarily mean squat when trying to predict upcoming game performances.
xnodx

Catbooster
December 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM

What was that stat line

So you're saying MVFC defenses suck? xcoffeex

clenz
December 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
No one has claimed that MSU has a tough defense. Our D sucked this year - not only bad in the Big Sky Conf, but bad nationally. How well did that work for UNI, limiting ZZ's rushing yards to probably half what MSU let him have? Same result we had - a loss.
UNI held him to 80 yards on 2.5 ypc.

We just happened to throw as many TDs to their DBs as we did our WR....

Griz23
December 3rd, 2014, 12:51 PM

What was that stat line

are you implying that the MVC has poor rushing defenses?

The Big Sky has 4 of the top ten passing offenses and 2 of the top ten rushing offenses ....only Illinois St of the OVC ranks in the top 10 of either catagory. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

you can use stats to explain a lot of things....

btw...two BSC conference qb's are in the top 3 of the payton award finalists...the other is a qb also...if i'm not mistaking these three were invited to the award presentation...no running backs were invited to attend....http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/indexpic.htm

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Rematches seem to lead to the most active threads in this round.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
have CAA schools ever had rematches (or matchups of two CAA teams that hadn't played in the regular season for that matter) at all in the first two rounds?

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2014, 08:20 PM
have CAA schools ever had rematches (or matchups of two CAA teams that hadn't played in the regular season for that matter) at all in the first two rounds?

I am sure plenty of times. I could go look up more, but just last year the CAA had 3 teams in and 2 played in the 2nd round.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM

I am sure plenty of times. I could go look up more, but just last year the CAA had 3 teams in and 2 played in the 2nd round.

Just last year there was a UNH-Maine rematch just two weeks after they played in the regular season!! Over the past decade UNH has had rematches with UMass and Villanova as well as a meeting with Delaware in the "second round" (Quarterfinal with 16 teams). Four of the eleven playoffs for UNH had CAA matchups.

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Hell if JMU had held serve, they would be playing Villanova again.

frozennorth
December 4th, 2014, 06:57 AM
So you're saying MVFC defenses suck? xcoffeex

No, but the mvfc has most of the countries top running backs.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Not so much about rematches but regarding regionalization. I think this year more than ever shows how unbalanced it makes the bracket. Looking at the Massey Composite rankings 4 of the top 5 teams are matched up against each other with no other game even having two teams in the top 10. You'll never guess which conference rematches has those 4 teams either:

#6 New Hampshire vs #15 Fordham
#10 Chattanooga vs #11 Indiana St
#2 Illinois St vs #3 Northern Iowa
#8 Eastern Washington vs #17 Montana
#9 Villanova vs #14 Liberty
#4 Jacksonville St vs #13 Sam Houston St
#7 Coastal Carolina vs #19 Richmond
#1 North Dakota St vs #5 South Dakota St

PAllen
December 4th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Not so much about rematches but regarding regionalization. I think this year more than ever shows how unbalanced it makes the bracket. Looking at the Massey Composite rankings 4 of the top 5 teams are matched up against each other with no other game even having two teams in the top 10. You'll never guess which conference rematches has those 4 teams either:

#6 New Hampshire vs #15 Fordham
#10 Chattanooga vs #11 Indiana St
#2 Illinois St vs #3 Northern Iowa
#8 Eastern Washington vs #17 Montana
#9 Villanova vs #14 Liberty
#4 Jacksonville St vs #13 Sam Houston St
#7 Coastal Carolina vs #19 Richmond
#1 North Dakota St vs #5 South Dakota St

Yes, because we all know that the entire MVFC should have received seeds this year. :pumpuke:

Rjones61
December 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
It doesn't matter if the your spot is "unbalanced". If you aren't good enough to beat the teams in your path and get the championship, you aren't good enough to be the champion. Simple. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts", no excuses.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
It doesn't matter if the your spot is "unbalanced". If you aren't good enough to beat the teams in your path and get the championship, you aren't good enough to be the champion. Simple. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts", no excuses.
Calm down there big shooter. I'm simply pointing out how regionalization promotes an unbalanced bracket. I understand why it's done and I'm not making any "excuses". Even though I understand why it's in place it doesn't mean I have to be a fan of regionalization in the FCS playoffs.

kalm
December 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Our first playoff game opponents going back to 2004:

Seeded SIU
Seeded manes
SLC Champ SFA
Wagner
SEMO
SDSU
Montana

It would be nice to see a few more NEC, PL's, and MEAC's sprinkled in there.

veinup
December 4th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Our first playoff game opponents going back to 2004:

Seeded SIU
Seeded manes
SLC Champ SFA
Wagner
SEMO
SDSU
Montana

It would be nice to see a few more NEC, PL's, and MEAC's sprinkled in there.

how many of those times was EWU a seeded team?

Hammerhead
December 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Regionalization happens in all sports for nearly all sports. We know for sure that 2 MVFC teams will be in the quarterfinals and Indiana State could be the 3rd team in the elite 8.

MacThor
December 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM
There are 19 potential or upcoming rematches in the remaining field of 16. Here are the regular season "standings" for the 16 remaining teams in games among themselves.

Eastern Wash. (2-0)
New Hampshire (1-0)
Jacksonville St. (1-0)
North Dakota St. (3-1)
Illinois State (2-1)
Richmond (2-1)
UNI (2-2)
South Dakota St. (2-2)
Villanova (1-1)
Indiana State (2-3)
Liberty (1-2)
Coastal Caro. (0-1)
Chattanooga (0-1)
Sam Houston St. (0-1)
Fordham (0-1)
Montana (0-2)

I thought it was interesting that every 2nd round team played at least one other 2nd round team during the regular season. It's also telling that of the eight first round teams eliminated, 3 played no regular season games against 2nd round teams, and the record of the other 5 was a combined 1-6.

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Funny thing too is this is the first time UNI has ever had a rematch with a conference foe in the playoffs.

dudeitsaid
December 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Funny thing too is this is the first time UNI has ever had a rematch with a conference foe in the playoffs.
Same with EWU.

RabidRabbit
December 5th, 2014, 11:45 AM
This is when I wish that SDSU & NDSU were further apart.

Sandlapper Spike
December 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
It is supposed to be a national tournament. Ideally there should be a rule that there can't be any regular-season rematches until at least the quarterfinals.

I also thought the Fordham-Sacred Heart repeat of last year's opening-round game was poor. Would at have really hurt (for example) to set up Morgan State-Fordham and Sacred Heart-Richmond matchups instead?

ysubigred
December 5th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Yes, because we all know that the entire MVFC should have received seeds this year. :pumpuke:

You are correct sir!!!!! Then they left 4 teams out that should have been in unseeded xdrunkyx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2014, 02:08 PM

We'd have do to all the way back to LAST YEAR to find one....Maine played UNH in back to back games (UNH played while Maine had a bye)
UNH has played Delaware, UMass and Villanova in the quarters in the past. I'm sure there are many more

JayJ79
December 6th, 2014, 01:32 AM
coulda had a UNI/SIU semifinal matchup in 2007 if the Panthers hadn't been beaten by Flacco.

also coulda happened in 2008, but SIU lost to UNH in the first round which lead to the UNI/UNH matchup for the second year in a row (and 3rd in 4 years).

similarly, in 2003, UNI would have had a second round game against SIU, but the Salukis had gotten pounded by Delaware in the first round (with the Blue Hens blizzarding past the Panthers in the second round on their way to winning the national championship that year)

and could have had a UNI/WIU second round matchup in 1991, but the Leathernecks lost to Marshall