PDA

View Full Version : History of SLC Co-Champions

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Seven times the Southland Conference has had co-champions since the I-AA playoffs began.

1983 - UNT/ULM
1991 - McN/SHSU
1997 - McN/NWST
1999 - Troy/SFA
2001 - McN/SHSU
2004 - NWST/SHSU
2005 - Nich/TXST

Interesting facts...

Out of the seven times there have been co-champions, only in 1983 (8-3 ULM) and 1999 (8-3 SFA) has one of the SLC co-champions not gone to the playoffs. If it happened in 2006 (which is likely since neither McN or SHSU would qualify otherwise), it would only be the third time...

SHSU and McNeese have been co-champions together twice (1991 and 2001), representative of two of SHSU's three SLC titels...

Seven of McNeese's 10 SLC titles have been outright...

Credit: SLC Media Guide

----------
Before SHSU was in the SLC, they were a member of the Gulf Star Conference. According to a SHSU fan on KatFans.com (CopyKat), "in 1986 in the Gulf Star Conference we wee beaten by Northwestern State in the opener. We still advanced to our first-ever I-AA playoffs only because we won the rest of our games (including a GIANT fourth-quarter rally over SWT in Huntsville at season's end) and then later in the evening got a gift from our Lumberjack friends who gave NW St. its second conference loss. (I think I got all of that right.) Will history repeat 20 years later?"