PDA

View Full Version : Poll on USD and the Playoffs....

WYOBISONMAN
November 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM
What do you think. Let them in or keep them out. Give us your VOTE on the San Diego Toreros and the Playoffs.

BillLuc1982
November 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I say let the Toreros in. The amount of teams in I-AA who are 8-3 or better is low this year. Send them to Montana and they'll feel like they were attacked by grizzly bears once the clock reads 0:00 in the fourth quarter.

Let them play a real team and see how tough it is!

spelunker64
November 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Too bad they didn't play UC Davis earlier, what happens with that game if they do get into the playoffs...

putter
November 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I believe they have to buy-out the game with Davis if they are picked.

th0m
November 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM
A very weak 8-0 D-I SOS should keep them at home.

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
For the record, I had them in the playoffs in an earlier poll but I changed my mind. (Also, Yale had to be 9 - 1, which won't happen now).

That's right:
I flip flopped.
I was for them making the playoffs before I was against them making the playoffs.

VictorG
November 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Thank goodness the playoffs are right around the corner because in another couple of weeks the SD fans would be screaming that at 10 - 0 not only should they be IN the playoffs but they should also get to HOST a game!!!!

I really like the idea of letting them in, then sending them to Missoula. Only problem that I see with that is all the static the Griz would get about having a 1st round "bye"!:D

LacesOut
November 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I voted no, because I think they will get left out.

But a part of me would like to see them in it. Same for Del State. I think both teams would probably get hammered if they got in though.

alumNEC
November 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
As for the UC-Davis game, I remember an earlier post saying that UC-Dacis agreed to cancel the game with USD if in fact they make the playoffs... Pretty classy of UC-Davis, I am trying to remember the post, I believe UC-Davis said,"If the tables were turned and we were in the playoffs I would hope USD would do the same"... This is just off the top of my head trying to remember the previous post on the subject... I'm not too sure USD would cancel without a payout if the tables were turned

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
The playoffs are not a "feel good" entitlement program.

It will be interesting to see how USD ranks in the computer and human polls now that Yale lost.

Go Harvard!

walliver
November 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the USD did not aim for the playoffs at the start of the year, and did not schedule for the playoffs. They started off playing for the "mid-major" bowl, but changed their minds during the season.

There have also been a number of Big South teams with great won-loss records which were not invited, including a couple of 10-1 teams.

I see no reasons to change course at this time. If USD wants to compete for a play-off spot, let them 1) Not schedule games during the playoffs (a sure sign that the playoffs were not their goal at the start of the season), and 2) schedule at least one team (preferably more) that has been to the playoffs.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM
N

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM
O

LUHawker
November 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
O

Come on now Pard4Life, don't hold back. Let us know how you really feel. :D

Georgia Griz
November 13th, 2006, 11:44 AM
If they go undefeated then let them in.

usdtoreros
November 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Thank goodness the playoffs are right around the corner because in another couple of weeks the SD fans would be screaming that at 10 - 0 not only should they be IN the playoffs but they should also get to HOST a game!!!!

Glad everyone likes to make stuff up. I haven't heard one person claim USD should host a game. We all know they are not a Top 4 (seeded) team and do not have the stadium/fan support to host. The question remains if they are a Top 8 at-large team and the polls seem to have them at that.

LEHIGH61
November 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
See you on Saturday . You were lucky last year. Why don't you just smile at your luck and see what lies ahead. That picture is MOTIVATION PLUS FOR LEHIGH so keep rubbing it in.

HensRock
November 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM
non-seeded teams hosting first round games has ZERO to do with apparent quality or ranking of the team and everythiing to do with facilities and expected attendance. Come to think of it, seeds have a little to do with that as well.

Bottom line is if the committee were to have a schyzo moment and completely turn 180° from their modus operandi over the past 20 years, inviting USD to the playoffs would open up a Pandora's Box of weak scheduling that the committee would almost surely regret later. Pioneer League AD phones will be jammed as I-AA programs across the nation try to schedule OOC games against Pioneer teams.:nod:

Whats a Torero
November 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the USD did not aim for the playoffs at the start of the year, and did not schedule for the playoffs. They started off playing for the "mid-major" bowl, but changed their minds during the season.

There have also been a number of Big South teams with great won-loss records which were not invited, including a couple of 10-1 teams.

I see no reasons to change course at this time. If USD wants to compete for a play-off spot, let them 1) Not schedule games during the playoffs (a sure sign that the playoffs were not their goal at the start of the season), and 2) schedule at least one team (preferably more) that has been to the playoffs.

Well said. I agree with your opinion that the Toreros did not plan on making the playoffs. And,....I dont believe you'll see significant changes in the near future to ensure they will make the playoffs. The Toreros are a Pioneer League member and do not have plans to make a move.

Still, I think USD's possible entry into the playoffs is a story that would have gotten traction in the I-AA world......even without the over the top efforts of a particular Torero fan. :eyebrow: I would have liked to follow that story versus most of the threads that fan starts on AGS.

Mountaineer
November 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM
..story that would have gotten traction in the I-AA world..

Why? Because a team with a poor strength of schedule makes it in? That's nothing to be excited about.

For fans of I-AA, the playoffs themselves, and the teams that play provide plenty of traction in the I-AA world.

Last year, for example, Northern Iowa was a fantastic story. James Madison the year before that.

These teams scheduled and played hard and were rewarded for that. Why should USD get a pass?

Torero Tradition
November 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Well said. I agree with your opinion that the Toreros did not plan on making the playoffs. And,....I dont believe you'll see significant changes in the near future to ensure they will make the playoffs. The Toreros are a Pioneer League member and do not have plans to make a move.

Still, I think USD's possible entry into the playoffs is a story that would have gotten traction in the I-AA world......even without the over the top efforts of a particular Torero fan. :eyebrow: I would have liked to follow that story versus most of the threads that fan starts on AGS.

:bawling:

Whats a Torero
November 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM
:bawling:

All Eyes on San Diego...
Coupled with the Cal Poly loss, a win tonight and San Diego could be in!
Sell out crowd at Torero Stadium.... stay tuned.... check it out on the web!

I guess I dont see the value of posts like these......unless it's a warning that more self-gratifying posts will be on their way. Do us Torero fans a favor and take a breath or two before your next post.

Torero Tradition
November 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
A. Your not even a Torero fan
B. All those were info on something important... USD has never had a sellout, if they want to make the playoffs, cal poly had to lose... many people wanted USD to lose... thus, All eyes were on san Diego.
C. I don't see value in posts like yours

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM
See you on Saturday . You were lucky last year. Why don't you just smile at your luck and see what lies ahead. That picture is MOTIVATION PLUS FOR LEHIGH so keep rubbing it in.

What's this about? If anything the Pards are the underdog this year.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Come on now Pard4Life, don't hold back. Let us know how you really feel. :D

Nah, I'd rather save my energy for threads about Saturday. :rotateh:

WYOBISONMAN
November 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Looks like the vast majority have so far said the Toreros have NO place in the post season..........

Guard Dawg
November 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Based on this poll... it looks like the Toreros will not be in. I wonder how much consideration the committee will give this poll? :)

Rabbit3467
November 13th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I say.....No. xcoffeex

BobbyMo
November 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Based on this poll... it looks like the Toreros will not be in. I wonder how much consideration the committee will give this poll? :)

i would say... not much:twocents: :twocents:

that being said, i still do not think they will get in. I think it would be great if it they, as i think they could give a game to whomever they played.

GGASU
November 14th, 2006, 04:23 AM

About as much as they did last year when over 90% of AGS was telling the committee that Hampton didn't deserve a seed or home game.