PDA

View Full Version : Weather Report

MYTAPPY
November 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
After sitting through a Monsoon at the WCU/APP game, I got to thinking if this was the worst weather I had sat through for a football game. Yes...
Also last years So. Illinois/App playoff game was a rain and sleet mess that was nasty. One other game that came to mind was when I was a student (95 or 96) and the Citadel (I believe it was the Citadel) visited Boone. That day it started as rain and ended in snow.

What was the worst ever weather you sat through for a 1-AA game?

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
After sitting through a Monsoon at the WCU/APP game, I got to thinking if this was the worst weather I had sat through for a football game. Yes...

Although the Western game was bad, it was nowhere near the worst. I recall a playoff game in Boone at least fifteen years ago against McNeese State (I think), where the game started at about 24 degrees and then the ice, wind, and sleet began. It got much worse from there. As I recall, App lost. But man, that was a long time ago. Perhaps someone has access to weather reports during past playoff games.

El_Cid_99
November 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
'02 (maybe) VMI vs. Citadel game in Charlotte. It was raining when I went to bed the night before, when I woke up, when I got to the stadium, when the game kicked off, and when the game ended. A steady, driving rain that never let up. It was like Chinese water torture.

And I can think of a couple of season-opening games at The Citadel that were unwisely scheduled for 2 PM kickoffs, and the temperature was in the high 90's with humidity that would choke a horse.

walliver
November 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
The worst weather I remember was when Wofford played SC State in the "Textile Bowl" in the late 70's. The field was so muddy that both teams changed jeseys at halftime. It was a melting pot experience. There was no gold and black vs red and blue, or black vs white either. It was mud brown people in mud brown uniforms playing other mud brown people in mud brown uniforms.

The second worse was in 1998 against the hated paladins. The die hard fans on the home side stayed for every cold frezzing wet and wonderful minute of a 40-20 victory.

Coastal89
November 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
VMI @ Coastal 2003, 95 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. It was miserably hot that day.

MountaineerDrive
November 13th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Surely someone from Montana, Eastern Washington, the Dakotas etc. can tell us something interesting... xcoffeex

89Hen
November 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Maybe not the coldest, but easily the worst weather...

1985 Maine at Delaware

More info than you need, but... after beating Navy and Temple at home that year UD was 6-3 with two games to go. Two of the losses were by 1 and 2 points and the Hens needed to win both games to make the playoffs. I went up to UMass for the final road game and the Hens were down 24-20 with seconds to go but punched it in for a big win as the UMass faithful watched in shock.

All that was needed for the playoff berth was a win over Maine, a team that had not only never beaten the Hens to that point (0-10), but they weren't even close (36-0, 48-0, 62-0...). It was a decent 45 degrees but the rain was coming not only sideways, but I swear upwards. The Hens couldn't do anything with the ball all day and it just got colder and colder in the stands. Maine won the game 10-7 and we just sat there freezing after the game was over. :bawling:

McNeese72
November 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM

The worst weather I've been in was the "Tornado Game" between McNeese/Jacksonville St in Jacksonville in 2001. The weather was out of the movie "Twister". They stopped the game when rain and lighting got bad in the second half. And when the tornado warning sirens went off announcing their was a tornado in the area they herded all of the fans into their recreation complex building. Cbuck and I wanted to stay in the cinderblock restrooms under the concrete stadium but the cops wouldn't let us. The game was delayed for a couple of hours and it rained the whole time when the game restarted.

Doc

AppGirl
November 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM
App at Wyoming. It started with beautiful weather, so we left coats in the car. Then came the storm. Rain, lightning, and hail in the 1st half, so they stopped the game. By the end of the game it was 40 degrees colder, wet and awful.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Easy.... the Hurricane in October 2005... Columbia at Lafayette... the mud game... there was a foot of water on the field... visibilty was .25 miles... wind/rain coming down in sheets.. could not stay dry...

A VERY distant number two is at Sacred Heart, Sept 2 2006.

Three I'd say Fordham at Lehigh, Sept 2003.. although the rain stopped.

DinoDex200
November 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Also last years So. Illinois/App playoff game was a rain and sleet mess that was nasty. One other game that came to mind was when I was a student (95 or 96) and the Citadel (I believe it was the Citadel) visited Boone. That day it started as rain and ended in snow.

I would have to say that SIU game was my worst, since I was unable to make it this past weekend for Hurricane Yosef. :)

I hope we can get some of that weather if we get CCU in the playoffs.

There was an App game against Liberty back in 2000 where it was very cold and windy. That doesn't seem that bad...but I was a video coordinator at the time...and having to remain mostly still, on top of the Field House, for most of the game made it an especially painful experience.

Interestingly, the only App game I've ever been to where it snowed was the playoffs against WKU in '00. It wasn't windy, though, so it was actually pretty cool...

CopperCat
November 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Surely someone from Montana, Eastern Washington, the Dakotas etc. can tell us something interesting... xcoffeex

I think it was the game in 2003 that it was about -15 at kickoff for Cat/Griz. It was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, but DAMN it was cold! But it was okay, as the outcome of the game was favorable.:thumbsup: