PDA

View Full Version : FCS Coaching Changes

superman7515
November 24th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Since there are several threads, thought I would make a single thread where we can all follow along. Feel free to add any updates/changes for head coaches, any assistant coaching changes, etc.

Alabama State - Coach Reggie Barlow is still the coach today, but was told by the AD that he had to resign. Barlow refused because he just signed a 3-year extension a few months ago, so if he resigns he won't get paid, but if he is fired, he still collects. The BOT then got involved and voted to rescind his contract extension after it was already signed by Coach Barlow and the ASU President. I can't imagine he'll be the coach there much longer, but I would imagine there will be a court battle surrounding the money.

Florida A&M - Coach Earl Holmes was fired after starting the season 2-7. Interim coach Corey Fuller finished 1-2 and is allowed to apply, but no guarantees there.

Missouri State - Coach Terry Allen did not have his contract renewed after 10 seasons; only two winning records, 6-5 twice, in 2007 & 2009.

Montana - Coach Mick Delaney will retire after just three years as head coach of the Griz following this postseason, fans have disliked him since his first season in 2012 when Montana went 5-6 for their worst record since 1985.

Nicholls State - Coach Charlie Stubbs resigned for "major health reasons" just three games into the season, Stubbs was 10-38 since taking over.

Norfolk State - Coach Pete Adrian retires with a 54-60 record after 10 years at the helm in Norfolk. He led the Spartans to their first playoff appearance, first MEAC Championship, and his 9-3 record in 2011 was the schools best since they were in D2 in 1984.

Prairie View A&M - Coach Heishma Northern’s contract was not renewed, he was 19-25 as head coach since 2011.

Virginia Military Institute - Coach Sparky Woods did not have his contract extended, he compiled a 17-62 record in seven seasons at VMI. To be honest, I don't know if anyone can win there with the small recruiting base, lack of scholarships, and paper thin budget.

Wagner - Coach Walt Hameline retired after 34 seasons as the Head Coach of the Wagner Seahawks. Hameline was 223-139-2 and is 49th on the NCAA's all-time win list.

Youngstown State - Coach Eric Wolford fired after five straight years with no playoff appearances. He had a 31-26 record, but the first season was 3-8, so if you overlook Year 1 to allow for him to get his players in and make the system changes, he went 28-18 after that. Not bad, but not good enough to make the postseason, so Wolford is out.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2014, 08:51 PM
was Terry Allen fired? I thought they just didn't renew his contract. (unless he was "fired" out of the last month or so of his contract that was technically through December or January or something)

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Coach Woldford is the Paul Rhodes of FCS, without the crying on the sidelines (I think).

As for Alabama state, own your s**t.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

superman7515
November 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM
was Terry Allen fired? I thought they just didn't renew his contract. (unless he was "fired" out of the last month or so of his contract that was technically through December or January or something)

Thanks, the article I read said he was fired. I'll change that in the first post.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Call it what you want he was fired

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Coach Woldford is the Paul Rhodes of FCS, without the crying on the sidelines (I think).

As for Alabama state, own your s**t.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
He cries a lot...

JayJ79
November 24th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Call it what you want he was fired

I suppose that is the case whenever someone's contract isn't renewed/extended.

clenz
November 24th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I suppose that is the case whenever someone's contract isn't renewed/extended.
Pretty much. Only difference is don't have to pay severance and no unemployment.

NY Crusader 2010
November 24th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Why is VMI not in the Pioneer League? That seems to be the only level they can compete at the FCS level. They moved to the Big South with a bunch of upstarts because they couldn't reasonably compete in the SoCon against the likes of Marshall, Georgia Southern, Furman and App State. Within three years, they became permanent doormats there too. As the Southern softened up with FBS jumps, they moved back. I feel like the SoCon will soon be just as strong as it historically has been and don't see VMI competing much at all.

813Jag
November 25th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Since there are several threads, thought I would make a single thread where we can all follow along. Feel free to add any updates/changes for head coaches, any assistant coaching changes, etc.

Alabama State - Coach Reggie Barlow is still the coach today, but was told by the AD that he had to resign. Barlow refused because he just signed a 3-year extension a few months ago, so if he resigns he won't get paid, but if he is fired, he still collects. The BOT then got involved and voted to rescind his contract extension after it was already signed by Coach Barlow and the ASU President. I can't imagine he'll be the coach there much longer, but I would imagine there will be a court battle surrounding the money.

Florida A&M - Coach Earl Holmes was fired after starting the season 2-7. Interim coach Corey Fuller finished 1-2 and is allowed to apply, but no guarantees there.

Missouri State - Coach Terry Allen did not have his contract renewed after 10 seasons; only two winning records, 6-5 twice, in 2007 & 2009.

Montana - Coach Mick Delaney will retire after just three years as head coach of the Griz following this postseason, fans have disliked him since his first season in 2012 when Montana went 5-6 for their worst record since 1985.

Nicholls State - Coach Charlie Stubbs resigned for "major health reasons" just three games into the season, Stubbs was 10-38 since taking over.

Norfolk State - Coach Pete Adrian retires with a 54-60 record after 10 years at the helm in Norfolk. He led the Spartans to their first playoff appearance, first MEAC Championship, and his 9-3 record in 2011 was the schools best since they were in D2 in 1984.

Prairie View A&M - Coach Heishma Northern’s contract was not renewed, he was 19-25 as head coach since 2011.

Virginia Military Institute - Coach Sparky Woods did not have his contract extended, he compiled a 17-62 record in seven seasons at VMI. To be honest, I don't know if anyone can win there with the small recruiting base, lack of scholarships, and paper thin budget.

Wagner - Coach Walt Hameline retired after 34 seasons as the Head Coach of the Wagner Seahawks. Hameline was 223-139-2 and is 49th on the NCAA's all-time win list.

Youngstown State - Coach Eric Wolford fired after five straight years with no playoff appearances. He had a 31-26 record, but the first season was 3-8, so if you overlook Year 1 to allow for him to get his players in and make the system changes, he went 28-18 after that. Not bad, but not good enough to make the postseason, so Wolford is out.
Ugly situation at Bama State, don't see this coming out well for either party.

UNI Pike
November 25th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Alabama State - Unless you have a picture of the Coach in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, honor your word. You already started paying him at an increased pay rate on the new contract. Who's going to want to coach there now?

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama-state/2014/11/04/asu-football-coach-reggie-barlow-asked-resign/18496329/

813Jag
November 25th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Barlow's done, Antonio Bradford is interim coach
http://bamastatesports.com/news/2014/11/24/FB_1124141304.aspx

kdinva
November 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM
bump

catamount man
November 27th, 2014, 08:03 AM
VMI could win if their administration actually gave a rat's butt. Think Chancellor Bardo at WCU 1995-2010. Good luck VMI. GO CATS!

Catbooster
November 27th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Nigel Burton's contract was not renewed at Portland State.

superman7515
December 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Columbia - Coach Pete Mangurian resigned amid accusations from players that he was verbally abusive and failed to properly address concussions. Coach Mangurian had a 3-27 record in three years at Columbia, but is available to do your taxes.
http://www.wikicu.com/images/a/a8/PeteM.jpg

superman7515
December 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Samford - Coach Pat Sullivan retired after 8 seasons at the helm. Sullivan had a 47-43 record at Samford, including a SoCon Championship last year (Samford's first conference championship since 1940 in the Dixie Conference) and their first playoff appearance since 1993.

Catbooster
December 6th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Columbia - Coach Pete Mangurian resigned amid accusations from players that he was verbally abusive and failed to properly address concussions. Coach Mangurian had a 3-27 record in three years at Columbia, but is available to do your taxes.
What's he charge for tax work?

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Penn has a new coach as well. Longtime DC Chuck Priore took over for the retiring Al Bagnoli.

SU DOG
December 7th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Samford - Coach Pat Sullivan retired after 8 seasons at the helm. Sullivan had a 47-43 record at Samford, including a SoCon Championship last year (Samford's first conference championship since 1940 in the Dixie Conference) and their first playoff appearance since 1993.

Hard to figure who the new coach will be. Possibly the DC from within. Also have heard that Hoover HS Coach Josh Niblett is being considered. Historically, Samford has competed as an independent most seasons, and did so during the two playoff years under Terry Bowden. Just for the sake of accuracy, those years were 91-92 and not 1993. Samford did win the 1971 Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl which carried some type of Small College National Championship title. our administration killed football, and we had no team from 1974 to 1983. We came back as D-3 in 1984 and Bowden took us to 1AA in the late 80s.

Pards Rule
December 7th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Alabama State - Unless you have a picture of the Coach in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, honor your word. You already started paying him at an increased pay rate on the new contract. Who's going to want to coach there now?

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama-state/2014/11/04/asu-football-coach-reggie-barlow-asked-resign/18496329/

Ala State has a very difficult legal battle to rescind the contract unless it can point to a valid termination ("term") clause. The fact that you changed your mind doesn't count. If they want to FIRE him, fine, but then you have to pay him.

superman7515
December 7th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Samford did win the 1971 Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl which carried some type of Small College National Championship title.

Which was vacated due to NCAA rules violations (used ineligible players throughout the season and in the championship game).

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Ala State has a very difficult legal battle to rescind the contract unless it can point to a valid termination ("term") clause. The fact that you changed your mind doesn't count. If they want to FIRE him, fine, but then you have to pay him.

Is Alabama not a RTW state?

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Not sure why a RTW designation would have bearing here.

major095
December 7th, 2014, 01:07 PM

they don't want to pay him but I don't think paying him is a real big deal. the team wasn't winning enough games or in the fashion they should have. consequently they lost the support of the fans. all those empty seats in that nice, new stadium were a testimate to that fact. the bot hadn't approved the contract which is why they rescinded it and in fact indicated that they did not reccomend firing the coach but to renegotiate the contract. the interim ad took that and fired the coach. now they've got to go find a coach that can win and help them be competitive in fcs football. plenty of talent already there and some of the best facilities in fcs.

SU DOG
December 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Which was vacated due to NCAA rules violations (used ineligible players throughout the season and in the championship game).

That is true Superman, although as I recall, it was a matter of sloppy paperwork by our incompetent athletic folks rather than players who were actually ineligible.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Not sure why a RTW designation would have bearing here.

None of course. As with most coaching contracts I would imagine there was language included regarding compensation should he be fired, and also a buy out should he jump to another school before his contract expires. Alabama State has the right to fire a coach whenever they choose, but they must compensate that fired coach according to the terms of his contract (as you know). Alabama State is stating that the contract recently signed by the coach was invalid because it hadn't been approved by the board. They will most likely lose. When the coach signed a contract presented to him by the athletic director there is an expectation that it is a valid and executable agreement.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2014, 01:30 PM
they don't want to pay him but I don't think paying him is a real big deal. the team wasn't winning enough games or in the fashion they should have. consequently they lost the support of the fans. all those empty seats in that nice, new stadium were a testimate to that fact. the bot hadn't approved the contract which is why they rescinded it and in fact indicated that they did not reccomend firing the coach but to renegotiate the contract. the interim ad took that and fired the coach. now they've got to go find a coach that can win and help them be competitive in fcs football. plenty of talent already there and some of the best facilities in fcs.

Probably won't hold water. The school presented the coach with a valid agreement, and it was legally executed. The fact that Alabama State cannot get their own internal approvals correct is their problem.

The contract was presented by an agent of the university who typically has the authority and or holds the position of someone who would present a valid contract to a coach. The coach had every reason top believe it was a proper contract approved by all proper university officials.

pvdogteam
December 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Probably won't hold water. The school presented the coach with a valid agreement, and it was legally executed. The fact that Alabama State cannot get their own internal approvals correct is their problem.

The contract was presented by an agent of the university who typically has the authority and or holds the position of someone who would present a valid contract to a coach. The coach had every reason top believe it was a proper contract approved by all proper university officials.

Doesn't make sense to me either, seems like he will get his money

PV_Sigma7
December 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Doesn't make sense to me either, seems like he will get his money

I agree. They're going to be in trouble unless he agrees to settle.

superman7515
December 15th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Delaware State - Coach Blount is out after he went 16-29 overall with a 13-19 mark in Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference play during his four years with the Hornets. Delaware State was just 2-10 this year, including 2-6 in the MEAC, and the athletic director announced his contract is not being renewed.

superman7515
December 15th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Norfolk State - Latrell Scott makes his return to the FCS coaching ranks and will be announced as the head coach of the Norfolk State Spartans tomorrow morning. Coach Scott was the youngest D1 coach in the nation when he was hired as the head coach of the Richmond Spiders in 2010 and had the team ranked for the majority of the season with three Top 25 wins. He lost his final game though and missed the playoffs, going 6-5, and was allowed to resign after his only season as head coach when he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He then became an assistant coach at James Madison before becoming the head coach of Div 2 Virginia State. As the head coach at Virginia State for two seasons he went 19-3 overall, 15-0 in conference, with a couple of CIAA North titles and a CIAA Championship.

Daytripper
December 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Norfolk State - Latrell Scott makes his return to the FCS coaching ranks and will be announced as the head coach of the Norfolk State Spartans tomorrow morning. Coach Scott was the youngest D1 coach in the nation when he was hired as the head coach of the Richmond Spiders in 2010 and had the team ranked for the majority of the season with three Top 25 wins. He lost his final game though and missed the playoffs, going 6-5, and was allowed to resign after his only season as head coach when he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He then became an assistant coach at James Madison before becoming the head coach of Div 2 Virginia State. As the head coach at Virginia State for two seasons he went 19-3 overall, 15-0 in conference, with a couple of CIAA North titles and a CIAA Championship.

Sounds like a redemption story. Good luck to him.

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM
UNI's OC Bill Salmon and assistant OC/QB Coach Mario Verduzco still have jobs.

That is disapointing

thebootfitter
December 15th, 2014, 06:08 PM

That is disapointing
Not necessarily if you're a fan of another Valley team. Best wishes on another year of frustration, clenz!

superman7515
December 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Delaware State athletic director Candy Young announced that, yet again, Delaware State will not hire a football coach until mid-February, several weeks after the February 4 signing day. Young admits that won't leave many options for any kind of recruiting class for the coach, but says she doesn't want to rush the hire. xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Delaware State athletic director Candy Young announced that, yet again, Delaware State will not hire a football coach until mid-February, several weeks after the February 4 signing day. Young admits that won't leave many options for any kind of recruiting class for the coach, but says she doesn't want to rush the hire. xconfusedx

Is her strategy to have people forget Delaware State has a football team, then drop the sport in the middle of the night? Sure sounds like it to me.

MR. CHICKEN
December 16th, 2014, 09:59 AM
20330..........JES' SETTIN' UP.......DUH NEXT CANNED COACH........IN UH CONTINUAL REBUILD CYCLE........NEXT GUY TA UH-CEPT....EMPLOYMENT......OWN-LAH UNPACK DUH TOOTHBRUSH.....AN' BOXERS.......EASIER TA GET ON DUH BUS.....AFTERAH YA CRAWL...OUT FROM UNDERAH IT.......:(xembarrassedxxembarrassedx:(....AWK!

Daytripper
December 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Is her strategy to have people forget Delaware State has a football team, then drop the sport in the middle of the night? Sure sounds like it to me.

I am not at all familiar with DelState football, but this is exactly what it sounds like they are doing.

Bisonator
December 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM

That is disapointing

Do they have naughty pics of Farley? xlolx

superman7515
December 16th, 2014, 01:50 PM

They need to go after Mike Drass at Wesley. He knows how to get kids to come to Dover and he knows how to win; 199-54-1 at Wesley, several wins over FCS teams with his D3 squad, 10 straight playoff appearances with at least one playoff win each year.

IndyTreeFan
December 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM

We had an AD employ that strategy. Keep making it impossible to succeed, and then she'll just have to honor the wishes of alumni and fans and scrap the whole program. I feel for the Delaware State fans. Fortunately, ours retired before she got the job done. Maybe DSU's will, too...

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2014, 02:07 PM
We had an AD employ that strategy. Keep making it impossible to succeed, and then she'll just have to honor the wishes of alumni and fans and scrap the whole program. I feel for the Delaware State fans. Fortunately, ours retired before she got the job done. Maybe DSU's will, too...
Beat me to it

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Potential recruit tweeted that Bill Salmon was at his house recruiting last night...

so...

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Well...we'll see how this goes.

I've heard for a while that Salmon and Verduzco were told they were very much on the hot seat...

Verduzco took the hint and left for Missouri State's new staff.

Enjoy being a loser Mario.

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
The more I think about it the more I kind of what to see a year of Salmon without Mario. See if the problem is Mario, Bill, or having them together.

They split the OC duties (likely part of the reason Mario left)