PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Heart fans or those who have seen them play ...

Fordham
November 24th, 2014, 09:08 AM
... help me understand how your team is different from last year to this year. It was a battle last year and Spence ran all over us. Is your OL as good as last year? How about the other skill positions other than Spence? And did you lose much on D v. last year?

I think we're a better team than last year but we still don't know about some key injuries that took place at Army. Guys like DE Biestek and TE Light are really important pieces for us and will make things really challenging for us if out. Our DL is much improved over last year (again, though, that has included Biestek) since we had DT Justin Yancey return to the team. If you lost anything on the interior of your line v. last year I will feel much better about us working against the run since the combination of Yancey and Slate in the interior is very tough for us and was a weakness last year.

Should really be a good game. I have to say that I feel like the Army game was so deflating that I really hope we're ready to play. I have faith in Coach to get them going but it was a REALLY tough loss imo.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2014, 09:16 AM
We played SHU this year and last year. For whatever reason the SHU running game does not seem as dominant as last year. We coulda, woulda, shoulda beat em this year but our offense was completely out of sync all game and we turned the ball over quite a bit as well.

Fordham should win by 2-3 scores as long a Niebrich is healthy and plays as he is capable of playing. Have fun with UNH!

Fordham
November 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks, but definitely not looking ahead. We have some key injuries and they're out for revenge. Plus, any team that has Spence running for it has a chance imo, particularly against our run D (although I do think it's improved).

FordhamFan
November 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM
^Dude...stealing my avatar play? :)

I'm looking forward to this game...like said above, I'm definitely not excited to face a good team in back to back years. Never easy beating a good team twice. That being said...I think Fordham is better prepared to handle the running game of SHU, and Nebrich is healthy, which is nice to say. A lot of what SHU does on defense is confusion. Lots of different looks, lots of blitzes. Having seen that last year, I think Fordham will be well prepared and if you blitz the Ram offense and don't get there...well, it's going to be a long day for you.

Very excited for the game, let's hope the predicted rain/sleet/snow holds off on Saturday!

Fordham
November 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Yep - had to get a good one and thought a few seconds prior to yours was perfect

blackbeard
November 24th, 2014, 10:15 PM
... help me understand how your team is different from last year to this year. It was a battle last year and Spence ran all over us. Is your OL as good as last year? How about the other skill positions other than Spence? And did you lose much on D v. last year?

I think we're a better team than last year but we still don't know about some key injuries that took place at Army. Guys like DE Biestek and TE Light are really important pieces for us and will make things really challenging for us if out. Our DL is much improved over last year (again, though, that has included Biestek) since we had DT Justin Yancey return to the team. If you lost anything on the interior of your line v. last year I will feel much better about us working against the run since the combination of Yancey and Slate in the interior is very tough for us and was a weakness last year.

Should really be a good game. I have to say that I feel like the Army game was so deflating that I really hope we're ready to play. I have faith in Coach to get them going but it was a REALLY tough loss imo.

The running game is off from last year but the passing game is far improved. OL returned 4 of 5 starters from last year but the running game hasn't been as strong as last year. Spence has battled some injuries and hasn't been as effective. Our other RB Bell has been very quick and hard running, and has picked up the slack very well. QB is much improved and we have a WR in Dube that I would put up against anyone.

Defense is improved from last year and ranks in top 10 nationally in many categories - Red Zone, 3rd Down Conv, 4th Down Conv, Rushing, Sacks, etc. Lost one DL and a couple of LBs from last year, returned 8 starters and 5-6 more rotation guys. Gambling, aggressive defensive style, multiple fronts and looks, lots of pressure but from all different directions. Put our DBs on islands a lot on WRs and forced the QBs to make plays and WRs to try to beat them. Several games have been won this season by our defense.

Fordham was the only team with the QB and WRs to accomplish that last year. I know they are all back but their numbers are off significantly from last year. Ajala is the best WR I have seen in watching FCS closely over the last 5 years.

Seems like it is strength against strength - Fordham's offense against SHU's defense. We haven't seen an offense as good as Fordham's this year. Delaware's was pretty good with a lot of different weapons at RB, WR, and TE but they couldn't do anything against our defense.

Team was excited to get the rematch in the Bronx.

carney2
November 25th, 2014, 09:15 AM
SHU returned 18 starters from the 2013 team. I don't know how many survived the 11 game grind, but they just don't seem to have the same "spark." The running game is mysteriously performing at a lower level. With Nebrich this is a laffer. Without him it's just an easy win.

Fordham
November 25th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I didn't realize that you brought back 4 of 5 on the OL. Honestly, I remember what Spence did last year. He was the best RB I've seen in person at this level (at least on that day). Closest thing to Earl Campbell I've ever seen.

Was hoping I was going to hear about graduating seniors you guys lost. Sounds like the whole team is back and I do remember being impressed with your scrappy QB, who I think (without looking it up) was a true or redshirt frosh last year.

I think this is a straight up toss up. I'm particularly concerned about the injuries we had in the Army game.

FordhamFan
November 25th, 2014, 09:39 AM
SHU returned 18 starters from the 2013 team. I don't know how many survived the 11 game grind, but they just don't seem to have the same "spark." The running game is mysteriously performing at a lower level. With Nebrich this is a laffer. Without him it's just an easy win.

I hate to be a homer but I'm with Carney here. Last year was a toss up game that looked bad because of Spence's fumbles...this year I honestly can't see the SHU defense stopping Fordham. I don't buy the stats. They played just as weak a schedule as Fordham, maybe weaker. If Spence gets loose, or FU turns the ball over, obviously anything can happen, but I don't think any team in the playoffs is as Senior-laden as Fordham. They'll take care of business I believe.

SHUAlumni55
November 25th, 2014, 09:56 AM
The offense is definitely sloppier this year. Spence is not being featured as much as Bell, but if Spence gets downhill momentum, watch out. The defense is vastly improved and more experienced, but subject to the big play. Its going to be a good game. If SHU can hold on to the football and control the ground game I think an upset is on the horizon.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
This sandbag bowl between SHU and Fordham has the capability of reaching epic proportions. Soon, we'll be hearing how both teams lose on Saturday.

SHUAlumni55
November 25th, 2014, 10:20 AM
HAHA touché!

This sandbag bowl between SHU and Fordham has the capability of reaching epic proportions. Soon, we'll be hearing how both teams lose on Saturday.

Fordham
November 25th, 2014, 10:26 AM
ha! Honestly no sandbagging here although it could be a touch of my natural pre-game pessimism.

That said, I saw last year's game and we were lucky to get out of there with a win. The team was legitimately tough, played us dead even last year and I guess I started this thread hoping to hear about how many losses they had from last year's squad. Hearing that it's almost none has me worried, particularly after the physical and mental beating we just took up at West Point.

SHUAlumni55
November 25th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Yes, knock on wood. The team has stayed pretty healthy. Spence was hurt a bit mid-season but now I think all is good. Plus they just had an extra week off. It would be nice if you kept this thread in the loop of the Fordham injuries as you hear about those.

blackbeard
November 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Having last week off is really big, we had a lot of guys slowed by some injuries that had an extra week to get better. If we don't have all the turnovers last year's game would have been a lot different. But defense has a lot to do with those turnovers and Fordham caused them last year.

SHU's offense is no doubt a click off from last year. Frankly I think we took teams by surprise last year and racked up a lot of points and yards before teams figured out how to slow us some. Looking at Fordham's numbers its offense is off from last year also, maybe some of the same issue? This year teams were better prepared for what they had seen, also we had a target on our back all year. SHU's schedule isn't the greatest, but our non-conference was better than last year - Delaware, Bucknell, Lafayette, Marist, and a decent D2 - last year was same teams except Monmouth instead of Delaware and 2 weak D2's.

Plenty of sand bagging to go around on both sides - think both are cautiously optimistic. I'm sure plenty of fans from the other PL teams living vicariously through Fordham will pile on to tell us how bad Rams are going to kick our ass. Mostly Pard fans who are 0-2 against SHU last 2 years but still claim they should have won both.

Lastly Fordham swiped one of our coaches after last year. Coach Edwards is a good man, got to catch up with him a few weeks ago at the SHU/CCSU game. Hope he has been well received by the Ram players and fans.

Gordon Shumway
November 25th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Fordham looks like a team that could cause some problems in the playoffs. I watched that game with Army, and they looked like they could score at will. The problem is they couldn't get off the field defensively, as Army ground out about 400 yards the old fashioned way. A team with a good ground game will give them a lot of trouble. I have no idea what happened to them against Nova. I don't think Nova has been accused this year of having a shutdown defense, so I have to assume that Fordham was shell shocked to play a a team that could score faster than them.

FordhamFan
November 25th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Fordham looks like a team that could cause some problems in the playoffs. I watched that game with Army, and they looked like they could score at will. The problem is they couldn't get off the field defensively, as Army ground out about 400 yards the old fashioned way. A team with a good ground game will give them a lot of trouble. I have no idea what happened to them against Nova. I don't think Nova has been accused this year of having a shutdown defense, so I have to assume that Fordham was shell shocked to play a a team that could score faster than them.

I've noted this before, but the Nova game was a weird day. The game was 10-3 Nova when a lightning delay occurred. After a 90-100 minute delay, the game resumed and Nova proceeded to kick the living **** out of the Rams. The Rams straight gave in when it got bad, hence the 50-6 score. It was also the second game of the year for both teams, and Fordham was coming off of NEC St. Francis while Nova was coming off what should have been a win at FBS Syracuse. It was far from your normal game.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head...keep Fordham's offense off the field, grind us out defensively, and you have the key to beating the Rams. Fordham's offense is lethal, but the thing that few people notice is that as games go on, Fordham's offense gets better. Coaches adjust to what the defense is doing so well, it's remarkable. So, the more possessions you give Fordham, the bigger the risk you run.

So yeah, we can be scary, but we can also be had. And the formula for beating us is out there.

Fordham
November 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Having last week off is really big, we had a lot of guys slowed by some injuries that had an extra week to get better. If we don't have all the turnovers last year's game would have been a lot different. But defense has a lot to do with those turnovers and Fordham caused them last year.

SHU's offense is no doubt a click off from last year. Frankly I think we took teams by surprise last year and racked up a lot of points and yards before teams figured out how to slow us some. Looking at Fordham's numbers its offense is off from last year also, maybe some of the same issue? This year teams were better prepared for what they had seen, also we had a target on our back all year. SHU's schedule isn't the greatest, but our non-conference was better than last year - Delaware, Bucknell, Lafayette, Marist, and a decent D2 - last year was same teams except Monmouth instead of Delaware and 2 weak D2's.

Plenty of sand bagging to go around on both sides - think both are cautiously optimistic. I'm sure plenty of fans from the other PL teams living vicariously through Fordham will pile on to tell us how bad Rams are going to kick our ass. Mostly Pard fans who are 0-2 against SHU last 2 years but still claim they should have won both.

Lastly Fordham swiped one of our coaches after last year. Coach Edwards is a good man, got to catch up with him a few weeks ago at the SHU/CCSU game. Hope he has been well received by the Ram players and fans.
Fwiw, I don't think we've been a click off on O - we just had a 3 games where Nebrich didn't play and our back-up QB filled in admirably but didn't pile on the stats the same way we did in the prior year.

Haven't connected with Coach Edwards yet but heard great things and I know he's very much welcomed into the Fordham family. Glad to hear he made such a connection at SH.

I reiterate that I'm really expecting a battle on Saturday.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM
How viable would it be for Caribbean to walk right into the stadium without a ticket? Is there a hill or tall building somewhere with a view of the playing field?.... Just happen to be in NYC and was thinking about "getting lost" in the Bronx on Saturday afternoon.... I can trick the wife and kids and tell them I'm looking for the zoo, happen across a beautiful campus and the rest is............well, that's my plan anyway.

Fordham
November 27th, 2014, 10:27 AM
How viable would it be for Caribbean to walk right into the stadium without a ticket? Is there a hill or tall building somewhere with a view of the playing field?.... Just happen to be in NYC and was thinking about "getting lost" in the Bronx on Saturday afternoon.... I can trick the wife and kids and tell them I'm looking for the zoo, happen across a beautiful campus and the rest is............well, that's my plan anyway.
Thanksgiving wekend, many students gone. You won't have a problem.

How old are the kids? Consider googling the train show at the Botanical Gardens as well. Pretty cool and indoors if the weather is rough

FordhamFan
November 27th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Yeah, the zoo and the Botans are both a rocks throw from the football field. You can definitely pull this off.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 27th, 2014, 02:23 PM
While I had glanced in on the Lafayette-SHU game, I watched all of Bucknell- SHU. I have been scratching my head for something constructive to say in this self-deprecation festival. On 9/20 the Bison and SHU were pretty evenly matched statistically (311/300 total yards). Turnovers made up a chunk of the difference in the 36-20 final. Nitty had a great day passing: 18-31; 271 yards; and 4 TDS. Bucknell had CJ Williams in the backfield but not much success running, 40 net yards, the worst showing of the year before the Colgate game. The game was close at the half, 14-13, but the Bison outscored SHU 16-0 in the 3rd. I figure the Rams to be two touchdowns better than Kolbe Cathedral if their passing game is working as well as it generally does.

Fordhamanhattan
November 28th, 2014, 12:54 PM
BIG articles on the Rams of Fordham in both the erstwhile paper of record and the New York Daily News. The Times article focuses on Coach Joe and New York's picture newpaper on now injured tight end Dan Light.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Thanksgiving wekend, many students gone. You won't have a problem.

How old are the kids? Consider googling the train show at the Botanical Gardens as well. Pretty cool and indoors if the weather is rough

My plan never got off the ground...... took a walk outside the hotel and was hit in the face with a chilly bone chilling breeze and basically wimped out.... spent the day fighting thru adds on the Iphone on firstrow but was able to get several of the games up on it....

hope I dont have any chinese or Russians following me around this morning, that firstrow is scary!