PDA

View Full Version : Brawl of the Wild.

Peems
November 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
While the smack board has been busy for a few weeks with smack talking by both sides. What does the rest of the AA world think of the 106th Cat/Griz game?

November 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
You can download the I-AA.org Magazine 2004 Fall Preview:
http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2004FallMagazine/Final.pdf

Brawl of the Wild was the cover story... here are some excerpts:
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FEATURE ON THE STATE OF MONTANA:
State's biggest rivalry:
Montana - Montana State (73%)
Greatest athlete: Dave Dickenson of Montana was first with 19% of the votes, followed by Jan Stenerud of Montana State (18%).
Most hated opponents: Montana State was first with 16% of the votes, and the University of Montana was third with 9%.

THE 2004 COACHES:
Bobcats Head Coach Mike Kramer began his collegiate coaching career at Montana State in 1983 and the very next year he was on the staff when they won the Division I-AA national title. Montana Head Coach Bobby Hauck began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach for the Griz in 1988 and 1989.

MIKE KRAMER, MONTANA STATE:
"In 2002 we had lost the game 16 years in a row. We played the game and bussed home. At 6 a.m. the next morning I was at work watching the tape of the game. I asked my video tape guys, 'What's wrong with this tape? What's all the white stuff? What's wrong with the exposure?' They said, 'Coach, there's nothing wrong, it snowed the entire game.' The intensity was so great I had no idea it snowed or if it was even cold. I had to confirm it with some of the other coaches before I believed it. Playing in their stadium is one of the unique opportunities that any coach or athlete gets. To stand on top of the ramp, go down onto the playing surface, has been the highlight of my coaching career, my playing career, maybe even my life. It's even better to do that knowing you have a chance to win."

BOBBY HAUCK, MONTANA:
"I've been involved in the game as a head coach once (2003) and in '88 and '89 as an assistant. My favorite was the '89 game, a very close game and my brother Tim blocked a punt that setup the go-ahead touchdown for us. I grew up 60 miles from Bozeman but I followed the family trend and went to the University of Montana. I've been lucky enough to be involved in many rivalries but this may be the best of them all."
Top I-AA Rivalries

#4 MONTANA VS. MONTANA STATE

"The Brawl of the Wild"

Games in Series: 103

First Meeting: 1897

Record: Montana leads 64-34-5

Trophy: Great Divide

As the saying goes, throw out the record books when these two teams meet. Even in the lowest of O-for campaigns, a victory in the Cat-Griz (or Griz-Cat) game translates to a successful season. The games haven’t always been close, in fact they’ve been rather lopsided affairs in most years, but the spirit of the old West has always been alive and well in both camps. The fact that this is an in-state rivalry merely adds fuel to this already red-hot fire. It’s been a "streaky" series with one team or the other enjoying years of dominance before the pendulum inevitably swings.

The longest streak in the series was a 16 game stretch won by the Grizzlies that MSU finally broke in 2002.

Perhaps the most exciting game in this wild affair came in 1997 when the Bobcats scored the apparent game-winner with 22 seconds remaining. UM’s streak of (then) 11 straight wins was in jeopardy, but quarterback Brian Ah Yat lofted a 46-yard pass to Justin Olsen, which carried him to the 18 yard line. As time expired, Kris Heppner’s 37-yard field goal sailed true. Montana 27, Montana State 25.

The Great Divide trophy is a relatively new addition to this old series. It was first presented in 2001.

The 3-foot bronze statue features a football perched upon a mountain peak. A bobcat and a grizzly bear are climbing up opposite sides of the mountain. By strange coincidence or just dumb luck, the 46th meeting occurred in 1946 and the game has been played every year since. So it’s easy to remember which game of the series it is. Simply subtract 1900 from the current year and you’ll have the game number.

NFL and MSU all-star Jan Stenerud kicked a (then NCAA record) 59-yard field goal against the Griz in the 1965 "Brawl of the Wild".The Brawl was the Survey Game of the Year in 2004, and second the last two years. I think we all have an idea about it. :) I think all schools would like to have a rivalry of that intensity. :nod:

CopperCat
November 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I don't think people have any idea what they're going to get. Both teams have displayed sustained moments of greatness, both teams have been inconsistent at times. Moreover, the griz and the cats both have balanced offenses. The run and the pass have both worked for them, so the defense might be where the game is made. And judging by each team's recent performances, the defense on both sides is pretty solid. Each team has a few stars on defense that have made big plays. I would expect those same players to step up big here. Bottom line: the defense is where the difference in the game is made, in my opinion.

grizband
November 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I don't think people have any idea what they're going to get. Both teams have displayed sustained moments of greatness, both teams have been inconsistent at times. Moreover, the griz and the cats both have balanced offenses. The run and the pass have both worked for them, so the defense might be where the game is made. And judging by each team's recent performances, the defense on both sides is pretty solid. Each team has a few stars on defense that have made big plays. I would expect those same players to step up big here. Bottom line: the defense is where the difference in the game is made, in my opinion.
I agree almost everything you said, except I think this game is won on special teams. Which team has better returns, or conversely, better kicks, to set up field position will go along way to determining the winner of The Brawl. Only 4 days!:eek:

CopperCat
November 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I agree almost everything you said, except I think this game is won on special teams. Which team has better returns, or conversely, better kicks, to set up field position will go along way to determining the winner of The Brawl. Only 4 days!:eek:

I apoligize for my overlooking a very important facet of the game!!!:eek: I do agree, special teams are going to be huge! If MSU allows Tuff Harris to rip off another return like he did at UNC, that will be a factor for sure. If either team gets a blocked punt (not at all out of the question by recent events) that will no doubt be a factor. The kicking game is certainly something MSU has been working on (I know because I walk by them practicing almost every day). I don't know about UM, but I'm sure they're talking about it too. Well stated grizband.

CopperCat
November 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Matt Doherty seems to think that the score of the Cat/Griz game favors Griz 24-20. Hmmm......why can't Saturday come any faster?

carney2
November 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I joined this board last year during the playoffs and after the end of the regular season, so this is the first time in my life that I ever knew in advance that this game is being played. Looked like a goodie going into the season. Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.

bandl
November 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Who plays in this game?? Never heard of it. xcoffeex

CopperCat
November 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I joined this board last year during the playoffs and after the end of the regular season, so this is the first time in my life that I ever knew in advance that this game is being played. Looked like a goodie going into the season. Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.

Believe it. It wouldn't be the first time MSU pulls one out of you know where.

saccat
November 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.

The game is at UM....so the #2 team gets the 3 points.

Zoo
November 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I think Montana will win this game, but it'll be close.

Peems
November 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
besides those "down" years for the cats, every cat/griz game is close. im just glad lulay is gone.

Walkon79
November 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
For those that want to see what all the fuss is about, check out the game on ESPN pay-per-view.

Walkon79
November 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
It will be on a little late, but should pick it up late in the 1st half. Game time got moved back to 12:35 MST to accomodate ESPN.

Tod
November 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Satellite parties...

http://www.umontanaalumni.org/index.asp/fuseaction/CMS.main/c/BB8EE3B0-89BD-4F09-BFA4-FDB30221BA46

I'll be at Coach's in Albuquerque. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EmeraldCityBison
November 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'll be at Slugger's - Kirkland. Should be a great game!:hurray:

ASU Kep
November 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Any *free* radio for this UM/MSU fans?

Live4Griz
November 15th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Any *free* radio for this UM/MSU fans?

ASU,

Goto link below and click on "Streaming Media" the day of the game!

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/teams/football.stm

GO GRIZ!!

ASU Kep
November 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
ASU,

GO GRIZ!!

Thanks!

November 15th, 2006, 09:48 PM
... Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country...Chadron State (11-0) is currently resting at home because they received a BYE in the first round of the NCAA D-II Football Championship.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 12:20 AM
ASU,

GO GRIZ!!

Or if you want a little less biased broadcast, go to www.msubobcats.com, there's a radio link there too.

catbob
November 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Chadron State (11-0) is currently resting at home because they received a BYE in the first round of the NCAA D-II Football Championship.

I definately don't feel too bad about the Chadron loss, they have been decimating opponents. We still should've won, but I can handle that.

Getting creamed at home by Davis and losing at home to EWU hurts way more.

ASU Kep
November 16th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Or if you want a little less biased broadcast, go to www.msubobcats.com, there's a radio link there too.

Well, I'm sure your feed is just as biased. :rolleyes:

Phrebert
November 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.

(I can't believe I'm defending them) The Cats have won 6 straight and are somewhat respectablexlolx xlolx although there season ends Sat.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM
"Brawl of the Wild" is mentioned in Kent's I-AA West column (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=82218) this week and my "I-AA Diary" column (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=82220.) this week:

Some folks don’t like the name of the rivalry to be called the “Brawl of the Wild”, preferring to call the game “Cat-Griz” instead. The "Great Divide" trophy is a relatively new addition to this game (2001) and adds yet another name to the mix. No matter what it’s called, however, the entire state of Montana shuts down to watch this game in late November.

In the Big Sky Conference, all eyes will be on the “Brawl of the Wild” game in Missoula between Montana and Montana State. The winner of this game will be the automatic qualifier to the Division I playoffs. Montana State likely needs the win to get in, as a loss would result in the Bobcats gaining just seven wins with four losses. Montana on the other hand is likely already in the postseason but a loss would likely drop the Grizzlies from one of the top four seeds for the football tournament.

Live4Griz
November 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I definately don't feel too bad about the Chadron loss, they have been decimating opponents. We still should've won, but I can handle that.

Getting creamed at home by Davis and losing at home to EWU hurts way more.

Bob,

I would think if the Bobcats do lose this weekend and finish the season at 7-4, MSU will be right on the bubble and IMO would be left out of the playoffs not because the Bobcats lost to Davis and Eastern but because of the loss to Division II Chadron St. Regardless of their record(It is very good). At the end of the day they are part of a lower division and losing to them is much worse than losing to someone in your own division...even if that loss is a blow-out. Just my :twocents:

GO GRIZ!!

Walkon79
November 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Both are homer jobs, but the Griz broadcast is worse. I listen to both regularly, since our local station alternates every week, so this is not totally Cat biased.

catbob
November 16th, 2006, 12:06 PM
The Cats feed is biased, yes, but our broadcasters voice doesn't make you wana stab your eardrums with a pencil.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I'm not so sure. Try it out for yourself and see what you think. I would be interested to see what a true outsider thought.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
The Cats feed is biased, yes, but our broadcasters voice doesn't make you wana stab your eardrums with a pencil.

Amen to that. :hurray:

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Chadron State (11-0) is currently resting at home because they received a BYE in the first round of the NCAA D-II Football Championship.

That may take a little of the edge off the "who," but the what and where are still valid questions.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
(I can't believe I'm defending them) The Cats have won 6 straight and are somewhat respectablexlolx xlolx although there season ends Sat.

Let em' play loudmouth.

chuges1
November 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM
STOP THE VIDEOS!!!! Gosh these videos are so good it makes me cringe. The Cats better be working on something like this or i think it might hurt future recruits......(sadly i like the videos and i hate myself for saying that to anything griz related)

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
STOP THE VIDEOS!!!! Gosh these videos are so good it makes me cringe. The Cats better be working on something like this or i think it might hurt future recruits......(sadly i like the videos and i hate myself for saying that to anything griz related)

Screw the videos. How about MSU does something it NEEDS first, like improving the south end zone in Bobcat Stadium?

1Aneedsplayoffs
November 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Screw the videos. How about MSU does something it NEEDS first, like improving the south end zone in Bobcat Stadium?

How about...

Win a playoff game first

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
How about...

Win a playoff game first

Go to the smack board punk.

1Aneedsplayoffs
November 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
No smack intented sir, Im just telling you what the Cats need to do if they would like to improve their situation

A crime?

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
No smack intented sir, Im just telling you what the Cats need to do if they would like to improve their situation

A crime?

My apologies. Yes we need that too. We're working on that this weekend.

chuges1
November 16th, 2006, 06:35 PM

A crime?

The thing is though, there is a lot in the works which is still in the whisper stage and exactly what they will do with the 17? million dollars is still in the air....so basically it has nothing to do with making the playoffs to upgrade....its $$$$$$$ and a lot of it.

Tod
November 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM
How about...

Win a playoff game first

Seems they did that in '84, when they won the NC.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
The thing is though, there is a lot in the works which is still in the whisper stage and exactly what they will do with the 17? million dollars is still in the air....so basically it has nothing to do with making the playoffs to upgrade....its $$$$$$$ and a lot of it.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle had an article on this. They didn't say anything about an indoor practice field, or bowling in the south end zone. It only talked about "putting more skyboxes in." This to me says where the priorities of the AD and MSU's worthless president are: the big money. What they don't realize is that if they make more seats available, they're doing two things. First, they're creating a better atmosphere for the FANS. This should be at least partially about the fans. And secondly, this is telling me that the AD and the Prez have someone in bed with them. Yeah, that might be how it works, but I don't give a rats ass, and neither should the rest of the fans. It is about time we see something done for the FANS, not the rich investors that have already made their mark.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
At least we have somebody that isn't a naysayer even before the game happens.

#15 Montana State (7-3, 6-1) @ #2 Montana (9-1, 7-0)

Both schools have had been winning lately. Montana has won nine straight games, while Montana State has won six in a row so something has to give Saturday in this game. The winner will be the Big Sky’s automatic bid winner.

Montana is ranked #2 in the country and with a win, would likely gain a Top 2 seed to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Montana State needs a win to assure itself of a playoff spot. A loss would give the Bobcats four losses and would likely be on the outside of the playoff hunt.

Montana State is coming off a bye week leading into this game, where as Montana played at Northern Colorado to a blowout win. The question often is whether a week off is helpful for this game or if playing a weaker opponent is better. I tend to think that having a bye week before a rivalry game is the better option.

Last week, I made the prediction of Montana State winning this game and I will not stray. I like the way the Bobcats are playing right now even though they tend to play to the level of their competition.

Montana has not won very convincingly over the past five games aside from last week’s blowout at Northern Colorado. Montana State, likewise, has not won convincingly either in any of their wins.

The statistics and home field seem to favor Montana but there is just a part of me that thinks that Montana State will pull off the win in Missoula. I will take the Bobcats by three in a rather low scoring game.:eek: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup:

(source, www.i-aa.org)

Peems
November 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
i remember reading about the stadium expansion for the bobcats. how many would it add?

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 07:33 PM
i remember reading about the stadium expansion for the bobcats. how many would it add?

Where did you read that? I am very curious.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Yeah, if I heard a cat broadcaster say "Touchdown Montana State!" as often as Mick does, I would hate his voice too:D

Peems
November 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/SPORTS/611160328/1006

in the tribune. what it mentions is that the cats want to expand stadium, not that they are going to, my fault if i got hopes up.

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Go to the smack board punk.

Man, you are sure quick with the insult trigger, there For the Glory.... ;) ;) ;)

You might want to take a valium....there's still about 38 hours til game-time..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM
At least we have somebody that isn't a naysayer even before the game happens.

#15 Montana State (7-3, 6-1) @ #2 Montana (9-1, 7-0)

Both schools have had been winning lately. Montana has won nine straight games, while Montana State has won six in a row so something has to give Saturday in this game. The winner will be the Big Sky’s automatic bid winner.

Montana is ranked #2 in the country and with a win, would likely gain a Top 2 seed to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Montana State needs a win to assure itself of a playoff spot. A loss would give the Bobcats four losses and would likely be on the outside of the playoff hunt.

Montana State is coming off a bye week leading into this game, where as Montana played at Northern Colorado to a blowout win. The question often is whether a week off is helpful for this game or if playing a weaker opponent is better. I tend to think that having a bye week before a rivalry game is the better option.

Last week, I made the prediction of Montana State winning this game and I will not stray. I like the way the Bobcats are playing right now even though they tend to play to the level of their competition.

Montana has not won very convincingly over the past five games aside from last week’s blowout at Northern Colorado. Montana State, likewise, has not won convincingly either in any of their wins.

The statistics and home field seem to favor Montana but there is just a part of me that thinks that Montana State will pull off the win in Missoula. I will take the Bobcats by three in a rather low scoring game.:eek: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup:

(source, www.i-aa.org)

Could that part of you be that inconceivably small part of you that is a BOBCAT FAN????

Theres a big part of me that thinks the Griz will win....think that might be because I'm a GRIZ FAN????

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Man, you are sure quick with the insult trigger, there For the Glory.... ;) ;) ;)

You might want to take a valium....there's still about 38 hours til game-time..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Class individuals such as yourself tend to make people rather defensive.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah, if I heard a cat broadcaster say "Touchdown Montana State!" as often as Mick does, I would hate his voice too:D

Who is Mick? I've never heard a Mick commentate a single MSU game.

bobcatfan06
November 17th, 2006, 12:30 AM
The Brawl of the Wild just got a shoutout on SportsCenter. They were talking about other big rivalry games in the country and the UM-MSU game was mentioned.

FlyYtown
November 17th, 2006, 05:30 AM
The Brawl of the Wild just got a shoutout on SportsCenter. They were talking about other big rivalry games in the country and the UM-MSU game was mentioned.
Ya I just saw it now... Cool to see the Brawl of the Wild and the Yale-Harvard on there in the same weekend.

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Nice to see somebody in the mainstream media is taking notice.

MrTitleist
November 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM
The Bozeman Daily Chronicle had an article on this. They didn't say anything about an indoor practice field, or bowling in the south end zone. It only talked about "putting more skyboxes in." This to me says where the priorities of the AD and MSU's worthless president are: the big money. What they don't realize is that if they make more seats available, they're doing two things. First, they're creating a better atmosphere for the FANS. This should be at least partially about the fans. And secondly, this is telling me that the AD and the Prez have someone in bed with them. Yeah, that might be how it works, but I don't give a rats ass, and neither should the rest of the fans. It is about time we see something done for the FANS, not the rich investors that have already made their mark.

God forbid the AD make the fans happy. They need to do something to upgrade that high school stadium over there. I cringe every time I hear, "more skyboxes" for the sole reason that it further implicates that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. How about something nice for us common fans, eh?

Besides, you need more room to accomodate Griz fans when we play over in Bozeman. :)

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM
God forbid the AD make the fans happy. They need to do something to upgrade that high school stadium over there. I cringe every time I hear, "more skyboxes" for the sole reason that it further implicates that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. How about something nice for us common fans, eh?

Besides, you need more room to accomodate Griz fans when we play over in Bozeman. :)

Yes, more skyboxes is special interest crap. Geoff Gamble is suffering from a severe intercranial inversion. WE DON'T NEED MORE SKYBOXES.

And as for making more room for you griz fans, why don't you do something about that in WaGriz first?

CatFan22
November 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
The skyboxes will go on the opposite side of the stadium from where all the skyboxes are now. I would love to see that. I would, however, love more seating on the corners of the South endzone. I think it will all get done, but the new practice facility is first on the list with the skyboxes, though.

DuckDuckGriz
November 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Yes, more skyboxes is special interest crap. Geoff Gamble is suffering from a severe intercranial inversion. WE DON'T NEED MORE SKYBOXES.

And as for making more room for you griz fans, why don't you do something about that in WaGriz first?

Oh yeah and the nice seating you guys get in Wash-Griz is SO MUCH WORSE than the piece of ***** metal high school bleachers visitors get in the endzone :rolleyes:

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah and the nice seating you guys get in Wash-Griz is SO MUCH WORSE than the piece of ***** metal high school bleachers visitors get in the endzone :rolleyes:

Treatment of cat fans in WaGriz is made up for by your seating situation in Bozeman.:nod:

Tailbone
November 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Treatment of cat fans in WaGriz is made up for by your seating situation in Bozeman.:nod:

Tell that to Bison fans and the ref who had their vehicles trashed by the MSU faithful.

Hooligans seems to be an apt, if not euphemistic, label.

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Tell that to Bison fans and the ref who had their vehicles trashed by the MSU faithful.

Hooligans seems to be an apt, if not euphemistic, label.

Don't try and tell me that Missoulians haven't done anything like that before.

Tailbone
November 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I wouldn't try to convince you with facts.
Your screen name tells me enough about you to know that your predilection for emotionalism would indicate that you would be unswayed by so pedestrian an argument as FACTS.

Only an emotional appeal would offer any chance (however slim) of converting you.

Griz envy, alive and well on AGS.

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Your screen name tells me enough about you to know that your predilection for emotionalism would indicate that you would be unswayed by so pedestrian an argument as FACTS.

Only an emotional appeal would offer any chance (however slim) of converting you.

Once again, another Griz fan polluting a legitimate thread. You're turning this into a USD-like smack forum. GO TO THE SMACK BOARD DIP$**T!!!

hue
November 17th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I see the GRIZ winning by 17.

GrizFoo
November 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Maybe, but where we have proof, you have speculation. And not only that, it seems to be a yearly occurrence in bozo.

BTW, nice first post by hue.

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Tailbone, FTG06' is just misunderstood. It really means For the Glory..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Once again, another Griz fan polluting a legitimate thread. You're turning this into a USD-like smack forum. GO TO THE SMACK BOARD DIP$**T!!!

The king of insults. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Catbooster
November 18th, 2006, 03:03 AM
... WE DON'T NEED MORE SKYBOXES...

Based on what? As I understand it, we've had a waiting list for more boxes for years, and the list is long enough to lease all of the boxes immediately. The new construction would add maybe 70 boxes, which bring in more than $10,000 each. The plan is to build them with donations, so the income is available to work on subsequent athletic improvements rather than paying off bonds for years. Exactly why is this such a bad thing? This is relatively quick and inexpensive for the income and we know they will sell out.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to bowl in the end (which I was told will bring capacity to almost 20,000 as currently planned). I prefer to sit in the crowd. But we still didn't quite sell out in all of our home games this year, and even in the sell-outs usually tickets were available early on the morning of the game - makes it hard to argue our most pressing need is the end zone seating.

GrizFoo
November 18th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I wouldn't like UM going the Sky Box upgrade/addition as opposed to adding seats. UM really needs about 4000 more seats. But I would take what I could get.

It does seem to sent a bad message in a way, but also just illustrates how college football $$$ works.

But I can't blame MSU, even if I could come up with plenty of smack on the subject. They don't consistently sell out even though tickets are relatively cheap, and tickets are not nearly as tough to get for a cat game. So even though they get good crowd and do sellout more and more each year, I don't think they could safely say added seats could/would pay off the upgrade any time soon.

With additional sky boxes they can add to the look of the stadium, meet the need for companies, and individual with extra coin to get a box, and ideally for them, bring in enough money to pay off the boxes and put a decent chunk down on additional seats.

MSU does have some work to do on their bleacher type seating though, or when they do add mor seats, do it right, and then come back to the main sections way down the road.