PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't think Coastal Carolina gets a seed and why they could miss the playoffs:

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
When I was driving back to my hotel tonight I was debating what the committee would do with CCU.

While I wouldn't be shocked if they snagged the 7 or 8 seed, I think that CCU will be playing next weekend. Here's my thought process:

In 2012, went 9-0 before losing to a Colgate team that went on to be 8-3 that year. Lehigh lost the autobid and was not included in playoffs even though they went 10-1. Why were they left out? A weak non-conference slate matched with a perception of a weak conference.

Their non-conf schedule was:

Sat, Sept 1

vs

Monmouth (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2405/monmouth-hawks)

W
27-17 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322452329)

Sat, Sept 8

@

Cent Conn St (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2115/central-connecticut-state-blue-devils)

W
35-14 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322522115)

Sat, Sept 15

vs

Princeton (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/163/princeton-tigers)

W
17-14 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322592329)

Sat, Sept 22

@

Liberty (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames)

W
28-26 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322662335)

Add in the fact that the year before Lehigh got in the playoffs, won a game and then lost to NDSU and there are a lot of comparisons between Lehigh 2012 and CCU 2014.

I think CCU gets in because of the expanded field, but I don't think they will get a seed based on history.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2014, 10:28 PM
Well there is a reason why I said in my bracketology thread that I wasn't sure about my seedings but was confident in who I have in. CCU is going to be an interesting case, really excited to see what the committee will do. They are in though, the bubble is so bad they are in with room to breathe.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
If CCU doesn't make the playoffs then the FCS selection process is a joke. This team was ranked highly in the preseason and lost one game against a quality foe. They also have some pedigree. There's 24 teams for goodness sake....

In hindsight, I think Lehigh's snub was as much about the NCAA being PO'd that Spadola played against Towson the year before as it was their schedule....

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
In hindsight, I think Lehigh's snub was as much about the NCAA being PO'd that Spadola played against Towson the year before as it was their schedule....

That is also a joke.

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM
If CCU doesn't make the playoffs then the FCS selection process is a joke. This team was ranked highly in the preseason and lost one game against a quality foe. They also have some pedigree. There's 24 teams for goodness sake....

While I agree with you that leaving CCU out would be a joke, where they were ranked in the preseason should have zero to do with the selection and seeding process. Having watched them a couple of times, I don't think they are one of the top 8 teams, regardless of their record, but I do think they've earned the right to be in the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
That is also a joke.

Do some research on how it went down. The LU AD basically waged war for 3 days against the NCAA trying to get Spadola eligible for NDSU. This was after the NCAA recommended that Spadola sit out against Towson. It might not have been the main reason why 10-1 Lehigh did not get in but I truly believe it didn't help their cause.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
While I agree with you that leaving CCU out would be a joke, where they were ranked in the preseason should have zero to do with the selection and seeding process. Having watched them a couple of times, I don't think they are one of the top 8 teams, regardless of their record, but I do think they've earned the right to be in the field.

My point is, "most" people ranked CCU highly all year. Not just in the preseason. They were expected to be good and they lived up to the billing. One loss on the last day of the year should not erase that. Especially when you're playing with a bulls-eye on your back all year....

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2014, 11:12 PM
Do some research on how it went down. The LU AD basically waged war for 3 days against the NCAA trying to get Spadola eligible for NDSU. This was after the NCAA recommended that Spadola sit out against Towson. It might not have been the main reason why 10-1 Lehigh did not get in but I truly believe it didn't help their cause.....

Just saying it would be a joke if that's why they were left out.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2014, 11:22 PM
CCU will not drop out of the seeds because of a one point loss to Liberty.

X-Factor
November 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
CCU will not drop out of the seeds because of a one point loss to Liberty.

I don't think it's about the 1 point loss to Liberty, it is about whether they should have even been in the discussion in the first place, which is a valid discussion to have.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2014, 11:31 PM
In 2012 the field was 20 and there were teams with 8-2 and 7-2 fcs records that were left out. This season the field is 24 and the bubble is a lot weaker. There's no way CCU gets left out.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2014, 11:39 PM
In 2012 the field was 20 and there were teams with 8-2 and 7-2 fcs records that were left out. This season the field is 24 and the bubble is a lot weaker. There's no way CCU gets left out.

I agree they probably won't get left out. Just discussing relevant history.

clenz
November 22nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
I agree they probably won't get left out. Just discussing relevant history.

Relevant is a loose term here. 4 extra teams in the playoffs, 3 extra at larges, changes a lot of things

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2014, 12:01 AM
In 2012 Lehigh was unimpressive against mediocre foes, winning a lot of close games. Combined with their lack of wins over quality opponents, that played a major role why the Mountain Hawks were excluded from the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
November 23rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
In 2012 Lehigh was unimpressive against mediocre foes, winning a lot of close games. Combined with their lack of wins over quality opponents, that played a major role why the Mountain Hawks were excluded from the playoffs.

Oddly enough, put Florida State in that instead of Lehigh and you might have them getting left out this year should they lose one game.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2014, 12:07 AM

Lehigh's best wins that year were over Liberty, Fordham and Princeton. It was a weird year. They definitely had the bulls-eye on their back and they withstood basically everyone's best shot. The Georgetown game, when they had 7 turnovers, was really only game I remember them playing "poorly" and still winning. Not every game was a nail biter....

Monmouth 27-17
@ CCSU 35-14
Princeton 17-14
@ Liberty 28-26
Fordham 34-31
Columbia 34-14
@ Georgetown 17-14
Bucknell 42-19
@ Holy Cross 36-35
Colgate LOSS 24-35
@ Lafayette 38-21

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2014, 12:10 AM
The patriot league didn't even offer scholarships. You can't be serious, oh wait, you are an mvc fan.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2014, 12:12 AM
Relevant is a loose term here. 4 extra teams in the playoffs, 3 extra at larges, changes a lot of things

2 years ago a team went 10-1 and missed the playoffs. I think it is relevant to how the selection committee might view CCU.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2014, 12:16 AM
The patriot league didn't even offer scholarships. You can't be serious, oh wait, you are an mvc fan.
xblahxxblahxxblahxxblahxxblahx

xcoffeex

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2014, 01:23 AM

In clear sight, it was the awful schedule quality. No conspiracy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2014, 01:59 AM
In clear sight, it was the awful schedule quality. No conspiracy.

It just stunk because Lehigh doesn't dodge scheduling. That was an unfortunate year schedule wise in the midst of a great run team wise. At some point you pick the best teams not who plays the best schedules. The two years prior Lehigh played defending national champ Villanova, UNH 2X, Liberty and Harvard in the OOC. This year they played UNH, JMU, Yale and Monmouth. That 2012 team had a history of success and some really good players, including Spadola and Kurfis. Two All-American WR's......

Like that 2012 Lehigh team, CCU is a proven entity imo....

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
It just stunk because Lehigh doesn't dodge scheduling. That was an unfortunate year schedule wise in the midst of a great run team wise. At some point you pick the best teams not who plays the best schedules. The two years prior Lehigh played defending national champ Villanova, UNH 2X, Liberty and Harvard in the OOC. This year they played UNH, JMU, Yale and Monmouth. That 2012 team had a history of success and some really good players, including Spadola and Kurfis. Two All-American WR's......

Like that 2012 Lehigh team, CCU is a proven entity imo....

I actually had Lehigh in because the bubble crumbled a bit, but couldn't disagree with your premise anymore. Evaluations should consider the current season only.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2014, 06:13 AM
I think CC will be anywhere from 6-8 in the seeds.

Very weak schedule but they have been ranked highly all year and an 11-1 team that was ranked #1 (xeyebrowx), will not move out of a seed. Probably a #7 or #8.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2014, 07:07 AM
All I know is
1. 24 teams will get in
2. some won't really deserve to be there
3. However, any team that has a chance to play in the finals will make the field
4. Seeds don't matter...you win all of them and you are the NC!!!!

Good Luck Everybody

MarkCCU
November 23rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
2012? Who gives a rats ass about 2012?