PDA

View Full Version : SOCON basketball season begins

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I know everyone is focused on football, but I am glad to see another seson of roundball get started on a positive note for my 'dins.:hurray:

Bostain Nets Double-Double, Furman Downs Charleston Southern In Season Opener, 88-69
Head Coach Jeff Jackson Earns First Victory At Furman.

Nov. 11, 2006

Greenville, S.C. - Robby Bostain poured in 26 points to pace five players in double figures as Furman downed Charleston Southern 88-69 in the season opener for both teams, and gave first-year Paladin head coach Jeff Jackson a victory in his inaugural game Saturday afternoon at Timmons Arena.

Bostain, who recorded a double-double by adding 10 rebounds to his game-high scoring effort, netted three baskets and a pair of free throws in the opening five minutes of the game to stake Furman to an early 12-0 lead. The Buccaneers were held scoreless until Giedrius Knysas made a short jumper with 14:53 remaining in the first half.

Charleston Southern trimmed the Paladin lead to six at 15-9, but could get no closer as Furman opened up a 44-27 halftime cushion behind Bostain's 19 first half points. Furman seniors Eric Webb and Moussa Diagne, both held scoreless in the opening 20 minutes, combined for 25 second half points as Furman weathered a CSU rally for the 19-point victory.

After trailing 61-40 with 12 minutes remaining, Charleston Southern reeled off a 19-8 run to cut the Furman lead to 69-59 with 5:49 left. Eric Webb helped the Paladins put the game out of reach converting 3-of-4 free throws and draining a three-pointer over the next two minutes to up the lead to 79-64.

"I am real pleased to get off to a good start with a win," said Jackson. "Our seniors really got us going and we were fortunate to get the victory. We are just looking forward to playing again on Monday night against Erskine."

Bostain netted a career best 10-of-14 field goal attempts on his way to 26 points, 10 boards and six assists. Webb, 3-for-5 beyond the arc, finished with 14 points and six assists while Diagne added 11 points and nine rebounds. Sophomore Alex Opacic contributed a career-high 12 points off of the bench, and junior George Brozos connected on 4-of-4 field goal attempts to register 10 points.

The Paladins shot 59.3% (32-54) from the floor, including 6-of-14 from three-point range. Furman limited Charleston Southern to 26-of-55 (47.3%) from the floor and 7-of-21 from long range. The Paladins outscored the visitors by eight at the foul line. Furman converted 18-of-23 (78.3%) while the Buccaneers made good on just 10-of-21 from the charity stripe.

Furman held a 38-22 advantage in rebounding, including 15 boards on the offensive end of the floor.

Guard Donnell Covington led three Bucs in double figures with 18 points. Dwayne Jackson tallied 17 and Chris Moore added 14 from the Charleston Southern backcourt. Despite the success of the perimeter trio, no player in the CSU frontcourt scored more than six points.

Furman, 1-0, will return to action on Monday when it hosts Division II foe Erskine at 7:00 p.m. Charleston Southern (0-1) plays its home opener Monday against Florida Christian.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Shouldn't this be in the other sports forum?

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, should be in Other Sports

Wofford almost pulled off an upset in the RBC earlier this week

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Actually, if you read the rules of that section it says it is for all sports that are non I-AA. Last I checked, SOCON roundball was still I-AA.:D

Edit::doh: : retard :

thirdgendin
November 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Actually, if you read the rules of that section it says it is for all sports that are non I-AA. Last I checked, SOCON roundball was still I-AA.:D

Where have you been checking? xidiotx

Appstate03
November 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Wrong. There is no I-AA basketball. Just division 1

catamount man
November 13th, 2006, 05:39 AM
WCU starts at UNC-Asheville tomorrow night!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
November 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Oh good grief.

BTW, when is the NCAA I-AA basketball tournament being held this year. I must have missed the previous 27 or so of them.:eyebrow:

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Sorry, my bad....:o . So how do you move a thread?

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM

We are an unforgiving bunch. :eek:

PS your are forgiven:nod:

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I posted this in another thread but I'll put it here so everything is in one thread

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArtic...&ATCLID=669179

2006-07 Men’s Basketball Predicted Order of Finish

North Division

1 UNC Greensboro (4) 44
2 Appalachian State (3) 40
3 Elon (2) 33
4 Chattanooga (2) 29
5 Western Carolina 14

South Division

1 College of Charleston (10) 60
2 Furman (1) 48
3 Georgia Southern 42
4 Davidson 32
5 Wofford 24
6 The Citadel 14

2006-07 Preseason All-Conference Team

(Voted by the conference coaches. Coaches were not eligible to vote for own players)

Name, Team

Dontaye Draper College of Charleston

Kyle Hines, UNC Greensboro

D.J. Thompson, Appalachian State

Ricky Hickman, UNC Greensboro

Robby Bostain, Furman

Chris Chalko, Elon

Louis Graham, Georgia Southern

Josh Jackson, College of Charleston

Moussa Diagne, Furman

Donte Gennie, Georgia Southern

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Interesting year for we Purples. Started off like a ball of first last year only to cool down to something close to mediocre. Coach Davis is gone and Coach Jackson in. Jackson has a team full of seniors that have a lot of potential. Let's hope he gets them there.

asu7
November 13th, 2006, 08:44 AM
holy crap we are predicted to finish 2nd in the North division ... I just know we will do something to screw that up lol

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM
holy crap we are predicted to finish 2nd in the North division ... I just know we will do something to screw that up lol

We have everyone back dude:hurray:

asu7
November 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
We have everyone back dude:hurray:

are we really suppose to be that good ...

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM
are we really suppose to be that good ...

Well, we have probably one of the 3 best players in the conference and a great supporting cast

BillLuc1982
November 13th, 2006, 08:56 AM
No, this ain't against the SoCon. Just basketball in general. March Madness I'll be following hoops more. Still football season for me! Then will follow college hoops, no NBA!

:giveadamn:

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
No, this ain't against the SoCon. Just basketball in general. March Madness I'll be following hoops more. Still football season for me! Then will follow college hoops, no NBA!

Well, I'll agree on one thing, the NBA sucks, and you won't find many on this site who like it. Hell, it hardly ever even gets discussed

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Generally, I agree. Although I have heard that basketball is big in the Crapsville Barxlolx

BillLuc1982
November 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Well, I'll agree on one thing, the NBA sucks, and you won't find many on this site who like it. Hell, it hardly ever even gets discussed

NHL is way better than NBA. At least you have fights! xsmileyclapx

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, honestly I don't follow much basketball outside of FU, especially not the NBA. I used to be a huge Lakers fan back in the 80's, but I just can't get into the culture that has developed there now....sounds like Appy has a great season ahead...good luck!

LacesOut
November 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Just basketball in general. March Madness I'll be following hoops more. Still football season for me!

Yep, I can't get into college hoops either until February/March. Just give me some quick recaps on ESPN SportsCenter, and I'm fine. lol

psc2445
November 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Yep, I can't get into college hoops either until February/March. Just give me some quick recaps on ESPN SportsCenter, and I'm fine. lol

your avatar's laces are out:D

ButlerGSU
November 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Anyone know anything about UC Davis? We took them apart in our first game, are they just really bad or could a young GSU team be pretty good?

LacesOut
November 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
your avatar's laces are out:D

LOL

Just changed it up again for this week. Whaddya think??

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Anyone know anything about UC Davis? We took them apart in our first game, are they just really bad or could a young GSU team be pretty good?

I think you guys will be very good this year. You guys, along with UNCG, Furman and CofC all put 2 players on the preseason all conference list

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Interesting year for we Purples. Started off like a ball of first last year only to cool down to something close to mediocre. Coach Davis is gone and Coach Jackson in. Jackson has a team full of seniors that have a lot of potential. Let's hope he gets them there.

I'm hoping he can get them to perform to their potential. I have just really re-started following basketball at FU in the last couple of seasons. Don't know as much about the players and stats as I do about football, but I'm growing to love it. It's cool that we are going to get to play a couple of games in the BiLo center this year.....that is a great venue, although I still love the intimacy of Timmons.

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I'm hoping he can get them to perform to their potential. I have just really re-started following basketball at FU in the last couple of seasons. Don't know as much about the players and stats as I do about football, but I'm growing to love it. It's cool that we are going to get to play a couple of games in the BiLo center this year.....that is a great venue, although I still love the intimacy of Timmons.

I miss the Brown Box. Except for my travelling days, I have always worked downtown and always just walked over to the box and watched the Paladins play.

I attended school during the Joe Williams days. We were a bball school back then. :nod:

youwouldno
November 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM
UC-Davis is pretty bad at basketball, but still GSU has good potential. I'm hopeful that the SoCon is general will improve... our RPI has been in decline for 5 years or so, it could be a cyclical thing.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM

You are forgiven, but that's only because you are probably not getting a lot of sleep lately. How's fatherhood treating you?

PS - I don't know how to move a thread. Can you PM a moderator?

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2006, 11:52 AM
You are forgiven, but that's only because you are probably not getting a lot of sleep lately. How's fatherhood treating you?

PS - I don't know how to move a thread. Can you PM a moderator?

Fatherhood is great. Townes is doing very well. He is a fantastic baby. :thumbsup: Thanks for asking. But you're right, sleep is a luxury that I don't get to indulge in as much as I'd like to right now.