PDA

View Full Version : Coastal drops on a blocked FG

jmrepak
November 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
In the same nightmare that flames fans must have faced when we beat them on a blocked FG last year, Coastal played the most uncharacteristic conservative offensive game that I've seen them play all year and it cost them a perfect season. We'll be sweating it out to see if we somehow still pull a seed, but at least we should be secure in knowing we've still got at least one more game to prove ourselves.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2014, 03:36 PM
In the same nightmare that flames fans must have faced when we beat them on a blocked FG last year, Coastal played the most uncharacteristic conservative offensive game that I've seen them play all year and it cost them a perfect season. We'll be sweating it out to see if we somehow still pull a seed, but at least we should be secure in knowing we've still got at least one more game to prove ourselves.

Chances are Coastal is still a seed. Think #6, 7, or 8.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
7 seed

Sent from my A0001

MarkCCU
November 22nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
I'm a throw up now. It's like 2005 all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sly Fox
November 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Except in this one, the Chants really were lucky to be in position to win in final seconds based on their tepid performance. Take a look at the stat sheet:

http://i.imgur.com/5NOmnMc.jpg

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
Except in this one, the Chants really were lucky to be in position to win in final seconds based on their tepid performance. Take a look at the stat sheet:

http://i.imgur.com/5NOmnMc.jpg

Nothing new. We don't usually have the most TOP, yards, whatever. That doesn't mean anything - we got too conservative on offense and that killed us in addition to Liberty having a good game plan and being more motivated. Congrats to the Flames for beating us today.

X-Factor
November 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Nothing new. We don't usually have the most TOP, yards, whatever. That doesn't mean anything - we got too conservative on offense and that killed us in addition to Liberty having a good game plan and being more motivated. Congrats to the Flames for beating us today.

It will mean something when you meet a playoff team. Good luck to the chants tomorrow morning.

MarkCCU
November 22nd, 2014, 04:33 PM

Agreed. We were not as aggressive as LU.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
I think Coastal has to hope for the 8 seed at this point.

NDSU, Ill St, UNH, Nova, EWU and Jax St are lock top 6, in whatever order. At this point, I give Chatty the edge as well with only 1 FCS loss to Jax St in OT. I don't think SELA would get the last seed with SHSU winning the auto-bid, but UNI could come in and steal it. Will be very interesting to see what the committee decides.

One thing I would worry about if I'm Coastal, is that there's a lot more easy bus rides to Conway than there are to UNI. With the MEAC champ and the Richmond/W&M winner nearby, committee might see that option and bump them off the seed line. Just saying.

bodoyle
November 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Doubt we will get a seed. If we do, it will be a pleasant surprise. Alex Catron had absolutely no business being in the game today. He is wildly inconsistent. The sophomore backup is much more consistent and has a good leg too (has hit from 51). I heard that our OC wanted Granger (the backup) in at the end of the game and Moglia said no.

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
I think Coastal still gets a seed, especially with Fordham losing today (and the Rams' best win being diminished by Bucknell's loss).

bodoyle
November 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
Curious what your guy's opinion is on this: Many people knocked CCU for a weak schedule, and that's all good and well. Does CCU get any "bonus points" so to speak for their only loss being by 1pt on a missed chip shot, or does the fact that it was a home game, and our SoS negate that?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
Curious what your guy's opinion is on this: Many people knocked CCU for a weak schedule, and that's all good and well. Does CCU get any "bonus points" so to speak for their only loss being by 1pt on a missed chip shot, or does the fact that it was a home game, and our SoS negate that?

Losing to the only ranked opponent you played affirms that you might have another loss or two against tougher competition.

bodoyle
November 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Losing to the only ranked opponent you played affirms that you might have another loss or two against tougher competition.

That's fair.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Go Flames. What a win. At their place with our backup RF QB. Wow. And i told you Coastal was unproven.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2014, 06:06 PM
I think Coastal still gets a seed, especially with Fordham losing today (and the Rams' best win being diminished by Bucknell's loss).

Nothing will surprise but we still have 11 DI wins (and yes I know the schedule wasn't very strong) so I think that may count for something.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Doubt we will get a seed. If we do, it will be a pleasant surprise. Alex Catron had absolutely no business being in the game today. He is wildly inconsistent. The sophomore backup is much more consistent and has a good leg too (has hit from 51). I heard that our OC wanted Granger (the backup) in at the end of the game and Moglia said no.

We didn't need to be in the position in the first place. The last drive we moved the ball at will and should have been able to do that all game. I think we realized that we were in the playoffs with a good shot at a seed regardless of the outcome and just didn't get fired up plus had some very conservative play calls. We need to be able to open things up - but I think they were happy trying to run the ball and punting until we got behind. Can't take our foot off the gas.

centennial
November 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
That's fair.
With how coastal played today, I would expect them to be 4th at best MVFC. ISU completely dominated the team you just lost to. Not trying to be harsh, but I wasn't impressed at all.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
With how coastal played today, I would expect them to be 4th at best MVFC. ISU completely dominated the team you just lost to. Not trying to be harsh, but I wasn't impressed at all.

Wouldn't expect you to be impressed, I wasn't all that impressed today either.

As far as how we'd rank on the MVFC, we may have a shot to play some MVFC teams in the playoffs and then we can actually see how it actually plays out.

dwtime
November 22nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't expect you to be impressed, I wasn't all that impressed today either.

As far as how we'd rank on the MVFC, we may have a shot to play some MVFC teams in the playoffs and then we can actually see how it actually plays out.

Tough game to lose but it was exciting to watch as a football fan with no skin in the game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
CC will be a seed. Somewhere 6-8 IMO.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2014, 07:36 PM

Probably where they should have been all along.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2014, 07:47 PM

I think it boils down to how much the committee weights the SRS. I'm not advocating for it, don't want to debate it, and I know some of the committee members don't like it but that doesn't mean they aren't using it.

The reason why it benefits Coastal is with 7 road victories and those away wins are given a premium over home wins. The home loss hurts but there is only one loss overall. So if comparing to other 1 or 2 loss teams then the SRS will likely favor Coastal in many cases. There is an SoS component so that is the unknown.