PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Marker & GWFC Title on the line

89rabbit
November 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Next Saturday will be a big one in Fargo as NDSU hosts SDSU and the winner will take the Dakota Marker and Great West Football Conference title! Should be a heck of a game, perhaps the biggest in I-AA next week.

http://www.areavoices.com/commonsense/images/thumbnail/forumdm.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/gwfc/graphics/auto/GWFB-logo.jpg

Go Jackrabbits!

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I will predict my score right now and say
NDSU 38
SDSU 14

No_Skill
November 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Percentage Prediction:

35% Bison blow out SDSU
48% Bison win close game
15% SDSU wins close game
2% SDSU blows out Bison

Bison05
November 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
My perdiction is:

NDSU 21 SDSU 7

89rabbit
November 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
My perdiction is:

NDSU 21 SDSU 7

I think you are right . . . heading into the 4th Qtr and the Heart Attack Jacks come back to win. SDSU 24 - NDSU 21!

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I think you are right . . . heading into the 4th Qtr and the Heart Attack Jacks come back to win. SDSU 24 - NDSU 21!

You won't be making any comebacks on this Bison Defense, besides your going to be buried so far by the fourth quarter the only thing your players are going to be looking for is the bus so they can go home. :nod: xlolx

89rabbit
November 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
You won't be making any comebacks on this Bison Defense, besides your going to be buried so far by the fourth quarter the only thing your players are going to be looking for is the bus so they can go home. :nod: xlolx

A lot of teams have thought the same thing this year. :nod:

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Looking forward to a great game with the Jackrabbits.

bisonguy
November 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Should be a great game and atmosphere!

89- are you making the trek to Fargo??

November 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
You won't be making any comebacks on this Bison Defense, besides your going to be buried so far by the fourth quarter the only thing your players are going to be looking for is the bus so they can go home. :nod: xlolxbisonbacker please leave the smack for the other board, this is DISCUSSION.

JackJD
November 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
The NDSU and SDSU tilt has all ingredients for a great football game. It would be nice if the television producers reconsidered whatever is scheduled for the 18th and find a way to put this one on TV.

89rabbit
November 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Should be a great game and atmosphere!

89- are you making the trek to Fargo??

Can't my company is hosting a tailgate event before the Kansas State vs. Kansas game for many of our customers and I am the main host. My boss is flying in for the event, but the game will be over in time for me to get him back to the Airport and get me in front of the computer before our kick-off.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Any of the alumni groups sponsoring a get-together and watch the game? I'm interested in the DC area in particular!

Should be a great game! Look forward to breaking the 44 yr stranglehold Bison have had on Rabbits in Fargo!!

Jacks02
November 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I got off the phone with a friend of mine a couple minutes ago, sounds like there will be another 3 Jackrabbit fans making the trek up to Fargo!

Bison06
November 12th, 2006, 05:49 PM
What kind of fan support can we look forward to this coming weekend from the Jacks fans? I am hoping for a sellout. What do you guys think?

WYOBISONMAN
November 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I think it will be a blowout by the Bison. Bison over the Jacks by 35+.

Peems
November 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
What kind of fan support can we look forward to this coming weekend from the Jacks fans? I am hoping for a sellout. What do you guys think?

how many can the fargo dome hold?

TheBisonator
November 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM

19,287 officially.

The "fake" number that's thrown around by the media is 18,700.

Bison05
November 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Somewhere around 19000

Peems
November 12th, 2006, 08:06 PM
not bad. must get pretty loud especially since its indoors.

JackTwice
November 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Its still not nearly as loud as Wash-Grizz

89rabbit
November 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM

My understanding is the Students have org. 2 buses so far. I would guess you will see 2,000 + up in Fargo from the Great State of South Dakota.

bisonguy
November 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
My understanding is the Students have org. 2 buses so far. I would guess you will see 2,000 + up in Fargo from the Great State of South Dakota.

That would be fantastic if there were 2,000+ Jacks fans. A sell-out for sure!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

89rabbit
November 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/SPORTS0202/611140312/1002/SPORTS

SDSU's long wait
Football hasn't won a league title since 1963

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: November 14, 2006

Heavy to begin with, the 230-pound Dakota Marker will take on extra weight Saturday when it doubles as the Great West Football Conference trophy.

No. 4-ranked North Dakota State (9-1, 3-0) hosts No. 19 South Dakota State (7-3, 3-0) at 6 p.m. in the 2-for-1 tilt.

The Bison haven't won a conference championship in 12 years, their longest drought since 1936-63. That's a relative eternity for a program that claimed 23 conference crowns between 1965 and 1994 and five NCAA Division II national titles between 1983 and 1990. . . . (read more)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Some more love for this realatively-new rivalry comes from Kent's I-AA West (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=82218) and my I-AA Diary (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=82220) column this week:

Both teams have not been conference champions in quite some time. The two former DII North Central Conference mates were last champions with NDSU in 1994 and SDSU in 1963.

The “Dakota Marker” trophy was created in 2004 for the winner of this game – a quartzite monument that resembles the original markers dividing North and South Dakota in 1891. Only two short years later, the Marker will go to the winner of the Great West – and maybe, just maybe, could go to a #1 ranked team in North Dakota State.

89rabbit
November 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
From the Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/storage/paper484/news/2006/11/15/Sports/Dakota.Showdown-2461543.shtml?norewrite200611170007&sourcedomain=www.sdsucollegian.com

Dakota Showdown
Jacks battle Bison for conference

Brian Kimmes

When the Great West Football Conference formed three years ago, SDSU and NDSU were the little guys. Now the border rivals are battling for the conference championship and the Dakota Marker in what may be the most intense game of the season.

The Jackrabbits versus the Bison. North versus South. NDSU versus SDSU. No. 4 versus No. 19. One game for the Great West Football Conference championship. One game for the Dakota Marker. One game to turn a good season into a great season.

On Nov. 14, the Jackrabbit football team battles the North Dakota State University Bison for the Great West Football Conference title. Both teams bring a perfect 3-0 conference record.

"That's going to be a game," said Southern Utah Head Coach Wes Meier after Saturday's game.SDSU has not won a conference title for 43 years, and has never won the Great West Football Conference.

Coach Stiegelmeier said this is the first time he remembers in his 19 years at SDSU that the team has a chance to play for a conference title.

"I don't think we're giddy about it because I think we're really mature," he said.

Stiegelmeier said playing for the conference title adds to excitement for the game, but his team's goal remains the same as it has every week: to go 1-0.

The Jacks face their stiffest opponent of the season in the Bison, who enter the game with a 9-1 record and a No. 4 ranking.

"They're (NDSU) really rolling," said Meier.

"It's going to be like a heavyweight fight," said Stiegelmeier. "They're a good football team. So are we." . . . (read more)

WYOBISONMAN
November 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Alright.......I broke down and bought a plane ticket and I am flying to Fargo again this week. Should be a hell of a game. I smell a rabbit cookin' on the grill!

RabidRabbit
November 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Alright.......I broke down and bought a plane ticket and I am flying to Fargo again this week. Should be a hell of a game. I smell a rabbit cookin' on the grill!

Naw, It's the Bison ribs you're smelling :p Wish was joining for a bit of tailgating. Hope the Jacks give you a game like the Gophers did. And with the same results. :thumbsup:

spelunker64
November 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm going to break down too and buy a GA ticket and drive all of the 25 miles to watch. Should be fun. I'm bringing my 18 month old son to his first Bison game. Now I just need to teach him "GO BISON!"

BillLuc1982
November 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
NDSU 27
SDSU 14

JMHO

JBB
November 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I have a hard time understanding where the idea comes from that this is a new rivalry. We have been playing SDSU for about 100 years!

MrTitleist
November 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I gotta pull for my new 2nd favorite team, the Bison. Those Jacks are awfully pesky though..

bison95
November 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I have a hard time understanding where the idea comes from that this is a new rivalry. We have been playing SDSU for about 100 years!

It is not a rivalry, it is a conference game, same as the last 100 years:rolleyes: :cool:

spelunker64
November 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Rivalries have an "emotional" factor to them, this one just doesn't

89rabbit
November 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM
From the Sioux Falls, SD Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061118/SPORTS0202/611180327/1002/SPORTS

NDSU has edge against Jacks

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: November 18, 2006

On paper, tonight's Great West Football Conference championship game isn't much of a contest.

No. 4-ranked North Dakota State (9-1, 3-0) has the edge over No. 19 South Dakota State (7-3, 3-0) in almost every statistical category and has won 21 consecutive series meetings in Fargo.

By most accounts, the only reason the Jacks are here, playing for their first conference title since 1963, is because of their intangibles. Those qualities are difficult to define and even harder to implement in a game plan against an NDSU team that, although it has one loss, hasn't truly been beaten.

"Momentum is an internal thing," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "It's your spirit, and sometimes you gain momentum just by seeing a guy fight through an injury or just make a great play. A guy who is less of an athlete than the guy he's playing against can get the job done because of his heart - his spirit is stronger."

Abstract or not, the Bison have noticed it, too. . . . (read more)