PDA

View Full Version : Which 7 win team would have the best playoff case??

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Assuming you don't take into account the marigin of victory of their final games, which team overall would have the best chance to be included with 7 wins?

McNeese State doesn't count, who gets the autobid at 7-4 if they beat Texas State.

Sorry if I left one out.

HiHiYikas
November 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
The bottom line is, there will be several teams in the field of 16 who aren't as good as Wofford is right now. If the Terriers could send a few points from their 55-0 shellacking of UTC back in time to the oh-so-close CCU game, Wofford would be making noise in the playoffs.

As much as I HATE HATE HATE all the "if" and "would" talk that goes on here at AGS, I'll allow myself to say IF the Terriers were in, they WOULD win in the first round (and maybe more).

MplsBison
November 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Assuming the west gets 4 playoff teams (not guaranteed), Portland State should get it over San Diego.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Assuming the west gets 4 playoff teams (not guaranteed), Portland State should get it over San Diego.

There is no geographic affirmative action in the IAA playoffs. But Portland state would be near the top for me.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
The bottom line is, there will be several teams in the field of 16 who aren't as good as Wofford is right now. If the Terriers could send a few points from their 55-0 shellacking of UTC back in time to the oh-so-close CCU game, Wofford would be making noise in the playoffs.

As much as I HATE HATE HATE all the "if" and "would" talk that goes on here at AGS, I'll allow myself to say IF the Terriers were in, they WOULD win in the first round (and maybe more).

That or they could give some of the points to their South Carolina game, which does look impressive, but I don''t think they'd get consideration over a Portland State, a 7-4 UNH, or a 7-4 Montana State, who all have IA wins. Strength of schedule would be a factor too, and I think the BSC and A10 are above the Socon this year.

MY two most likely 7-4 teams (assuming all these teams are 7-4 after next week) would be

1. New Hampshire (they have done so many good things this year and have made it through a very tough A10 conference - it would be a crying shame if they were left out IMO)

2. UNI (an underrated team that made it through the Gateway. A lot of people like to point out their DII loss, but like I said in the other thread, I honestly think North Dakota would be in the top 25 if they were in IAA this year. I'd pick them over a 7-4 Montana State whose IA win was to a not-so-hot Colorado team.

FlyYtown
November 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
UNH would make it with the east coast media love.....

UNI is done, they failed to get it done in the GFC after losing to D2 North Dakota.... you won't see them in the playoffs after getting pounded by SIU either.

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Wofford might be the hottest team in the country right now, but I'd have to go with UNH

X-Factor
November 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Mont St. can't make the playoffs unless they beat the Griz. Only 6 DI wins so far...

FUtilitspurple
November 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I think there's no question that Portland State would have the best playoff case at 7-4. I mean they played 3 1-A games (winning one and losing two to top 25 teams). Being shut out by MSU doesn't look great, but they only lost to Montana by 6. App State got a seed at 8-3 with two 1-A losses last year, so it seems sensible that Portland State should at least get into the field at 7-4 with two 1-A losses, at least over the other teams mentioned.

grizband
November 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Mont St. can't make the playoffs unless they beat the Griz. Only 6 DI wins so far...
Montana St. did play a DII team, but lost that game. All of their 7 wins this season have been against division I teams: 1 win against D-IA Colorado, and 6 wins against DI-AA competition. If the Cats do make the playoffs, I think they could beat a team or two, depending on the matchups.

Peems
November 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
portland state for all the above mentioned reasons. but maybe if the bobcats play the us close(assuming they lose) they could get in. though as someone else mentioned a D2 loss doesnt help their case.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Assuming Montana beats Montana State and the comittee wants to get 2 Big Sky teams in the playoffs, do you take Portland or State?

State beat Portland but they also lost to a DII team!

Tough call.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
UNH would make it with the east coast media love.....

UNI is done, they failed to get it done in the GFC after losing to D2 North Dakota.... you won't see them in the playoffs after getting pounded by SIU either.
What does east coast media love have to do with anything? The committee is regionally balanced, with two reps from each region. And the media stuff has nothing to do with those eight members' votes.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Wofford might be the hottest team in the country right now, but I'd have to go with UNH
I would say that Wofford is the second best team in the SoCon right now. If you replayed that Wofford-Furman game again, I have no doubt that the Terriers would win. Wofford was somewhat fortunate to not get blown out in the first half of the game with Appalachian State (a lot of dropped passes, penalties and turnovers by the Mountaineers in that one), but to the Terriers' credit they made some good adjustments in the second half to probably give ASU its best I-AA challenge of the season.

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
UNH would probably get in. They have Ball and Santos who they would showcase plus they could justify it with the UNH win over IA Northwestern. I'm not saying they are the best choice, just the most likely.

mtgrizfan4life
November 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I personally would like 2 montana representatives. However, feel Portland State has a better resume than MSU, even though MSU beat them. PSU should not be penalized for their scheduling more difficult opponents than MSU. That coupled with MSU losing to Chadron, even helps PSU more.

MSU takes care of their own destiny if they beat MT this week. Then this issue would be dead concerning the CATS at least. Either way, I would love to see 2 BSC representatives. Is there any scenario that could play out to get both MSU and PSU in, providing msu beat MT?

fuEMO
November 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I would say that Wofford is the second best team in the SoCon right now. If you replayed that Wofford-Furman game again, I have no doubt that the Terriers would win. Wofford was somewhat fortunate to not get blown out in the first half of the game with Appalachian State (a lot of dropped passes, penalties and turnovers by the Mountaineers in that one), but to the Terriers' credit they made some good adjustments in the second half to probably give ASU its best I-AA challenge of the season.

Mr C. where you at that game? I agree that Woffy deserves a look but Furman matches up very well against Wofford, take away a short field touchdown drive, a kickoff return and a blocked punt for touchdowns, and they didn't do squat on offense and BL put the offense in park in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I know this is about 7 win teams getting in the playoff picture but I get tired of swipes at Furman. I happen to think Furman played its best defensive game of the year Saturday against the Eagles, I think had the Eagles played Foster during the APP game the ending would have been a different story.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Sorry Mr. C, I respect you but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Furman went TO WOFFORD and absolutely dominated them, the score doesn't tell the story. We outrushed a triple option team in their own house, and one of their TDs was a cheap one on a bizarre fumble recovery at the very end of the game.

Furman has issues defending the pass, which Wofford can't exploit. The fact UTC was helpless against the option doesn't mean anything vis-a-vis Furman and Wofford.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry Mr. C, I respect you but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Furman went TO WOFFORD and absolutely dominated them, the score doesn't tell the story. We outrushed a triple option team in their own house, and one of their TDs was a cheap one on a bizarre fumble recovery at the very end of the game.

Furman has issues defending the pass, which Wofford can't exploit. The fact UTC was helpless against the option doesn't mean anything vis-a-vis Furman and Wofford.
The Furman team that dominated Wofford isn't the same Paladins team that is limping into the playoffs. Wofford is playing better ball right now than Furman. That's all I'm saying.

BestOfBreed
November 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
take away a short field touchdown drive, a kickoff return and a blocked punt for touchdowns

Furman also had a kickoff return for touchdown, a short field touchdown drive, and a ref aided touchdown drive. If you're going to complain about our scores then you have to take your own "cheap" scores off the board in that game.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Furman is banged up now, but there's time before the playoffs for Felton, Gray, and Goolsby to get healthier (among other banged up Paladins). Most teams are better when they can use their best player and Felton should be ok in a couple weeks.

So whether Wofford is better than Furman this week, whatever relevance that has, that could very easily change in a couple weeks when the playoffs start.

November 12th, 2006, 04:14 PM
... Is there any scenario that could play out to get both MSU and PSU in, providing msu beat MT?Oh sure. MSU gets the autobid, UM gets in on record and PSU gets in as one of the top 7-4 teams.

Remember, there is no four loss barrier anymore.

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Should New Hampshire lose to Maine, they will have lost 4 of their last 6. That's never a good sign heading into post-season.

Even with a win, they'd only close with 3-3

FUtilitspurple
November 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I love all the talk about Wofford, Mr. C. It just makes Furman look all the better. We went into Wofford's house and beat them soundly. That game was never in question. And you can talk about who would win if they played now all you want, because guess what...they don't!!!

November 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
big ifs on all the selections but PSU...

McTailGator
November 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Assuming you don't take into account the marigin of victory of their final games, which team overall would have the best chance to be included with 7 wins?

McNeese State doesn't count, who gets the autobid at 7-4 if they beat Texas State.

Sorry if I left one out.

McNeese gets the SLC auto bid if:

* We beat Nichols State this week; or

* SHSU loses to TxSU. (Even if McNeese loses to Nich.)

liverquiver52
November 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
What is UNH's record over the last couple games? Wofford seems to be the hotter of the two teams.

Tribe4SF
November 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Eastern Illinois doesn't belong in this poll since they may finish with 8 wins. Of the teams listed, they have the best case under the guidelines the committee says they look at (Div I wins as opposed to 3 or less losses in the old days). Portland State gets my vote of the 7 win teams.

bkrownd
November 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
7 win playoff team? Where's the "None of the above" button? Why, that's like puttin per-fume on a pig...

bkrownd
November 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I honestly think North Dakota would be in the top 25 if they were in IAA this year.

Eh? North Dakota didn't even get one of the 8 first round byes in the D-2 playoffs.

GOKATS
November 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Oh sure. MSU gets the autobid, UM gets in on record and PSU gets in as one of the top 7-4 teams.

Remember, there is no four loss barrier anymore.

Possible? Yea

Probable? Nah

One..., maybe two out of the BSC, but I don't see three this year.