UT-Martin (AQ)
Lehigh (AQ)
SHSU (AQ)
SIU
CCU
UNH
Towson
EIU

I wish Wofford could be "unwoofed" this year, but don't see it happening.

The needs help teams need Montana to beat MSU, JMU to beat Towson, Maine to beat UNH, and CSU to beat CCU.

And if CCU couldn't get in at with their SOS a couple years ago than the selection committee would not allow USD that luxury this year.

:twocents:

McNeeserocket
November 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Although Sam Houston could still win the conference by winning its final game and McNeese losing its final game, McNeese actually still holds the advantage right now.

The above is the only way Sam Houston goes to the playoffs. However if

If McNeese and Sam Houston each wins their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNeese goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese and Sam Houston each loses their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNesse goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese wins and Sam Houston loses their last games, then McNeese wins the conference out right and goes to the playoffs.

Anything could happen, but I don't think you should assume Sam Houston will win the Southland at this point.

Cocky
November 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I believe if EIU wins and TSU wins, EIU will be the AQ from the OVC.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I agree, the playoffs are not a "feel good" story. Teams with weak schedules are punished regularly. Even teams without weak schedules are punished every year.

Give me the best 16 teams. Don't give me feel good stories. I don't care about those.

SouthernEagle02
November 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
So NDSU cannot get in because of the probationary period even if they petitioned the NCAA? IMO, I think that's crap. I mean not letting the #4 (or #5, can't recall) team in on a technicality but letting USD in? xidiotx If that's happens I hope whomever plays USD in the 1st round brings them back into reality. USD is the 2006 version of Texas St. All warm and fuzzy, 1st time to the show, etc, etc.

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
USD is the 2006 version of Texas St. All warm and fuzzy, 1st time to the show, etc, etc.

If I recall correctly, that warm and fuzzy beat you in the first round:smiley_wi

youwouldno
November 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Texas St last year was a legit team. Nothing like USD.

If 3 of EIU, Towson, UNH, and CCU lost, Wofford might have a chance.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
San Diego is obviously a playoff contender... excluding them from the talk at this point is laughable.

AppGuy04
November 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
San Diego is obviously a playoff contender... excluding them from the talk at this point is laughable.

Then laugh away

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM

The only people who put them in the talk are your fans and coach.

I still think it's possible that the best team in the country can't play for the title. Sorry NDSU.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
So NDSU cannot get in because of the probationary period even if they petitioned the NCAA? IMO, I think that's crap. I mean not letting the #4 (or #5, can't recall) team in on a technicality.
What TECHNICALITY ? xidiotx Do you mean the small matter of being ineligible ? Hey we could let in the Top D II school also. xlolx

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
NDSU would be a contender if eligible. I'm not sure it is a good enough reason to change the rules.

SouthernEagle02
November 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
What TECHNICALITY ? xidiotx Do you mean the small matter of being ineligible ? Hey we could let in the Top D II school also. xlolx

So Ravens I take it you would vote "ney" on allowing NDSU to the show this year? I know rules are rules and that they are there for a reason, but I mean someone on the committee would have to look at this and say there's a flaw in the slaw here. I don't know, I'm not on the committee.

Cape_Fear
November 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
There's no flaw. NDSU knew what the rules were when they made the jump.

YoUDeeMan
November 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
So NDSU cannot get in because of the probationary period even if they petitioned the NCAA? IMO, I think that's crap. I mean not letting the #4 (or #5, can't recall) team in on a technicality but letting USD in? xidiotx If that's happens I hope whomever plays USD in the 1st round brings them back into reality. USD is the 2006 version of Texas St. All warm and fuzzy, 1st time to the show, etc, etc.

The posters who argue that NDSU and USD should get into the playoffs are similar to the type of people who think they deserve something in life even though they didn't follow the same rules that everyone else did. :bawling:

The playoffs are not an entitlement program. :nono:

Follow the same rules as the others, and you'll have a legitimate chance. Ignore the hard challenges and rules and you have no case.

OldFootballGuy
November 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM

What's laughable is including USD in the playoff talk. They may well be a playoff caliber team, but there is no method by which to make that judgment because USD hasn't played anyone. Schedule the games and win them against legitimate teams and you will be welcomed to the playoffs. Trying to claim playoff legitimacy with your schedule this year just makes you look silly.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM
What's laughable is including USD in the playoff talk. They may well be a playoff caliber team, but there is no method by which to make that judgment because USD hasn't played anyone. Schedule the games and win them against legitimate teams and you will be welcomed to the playoffs. Trying to claim playoff legitimacy with your schedule this year just makes you look silly.

I agree USD had a weak schedule but I think Chuck South's may have been as bad or worse. USD played 8 DI games and 2 D II games.
Chuck South had 4 D II games ( heck I don't even think all 4 were D II ).:rotateh:

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Although Sam Houston could still win the conference by winning its final game and McNeese losing its final game, McNeese actually still holds the advantage right now.

The above is the only way Sam Houston goes to the playoffs. However if

If McNeese and Sam Houston each wins their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNeese goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese and Sam Houston each loses their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNesse goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese wins and Sam Houston loses their last games, then McNeese wins the conference out right and goes to the playoffs.

Anything could happen, but I don't think you should assume Sam Houston will win the Southland at this point.

Yes. McNeese is the "win and they're in" team in the Southland. Sam Houston must win at home at 3 EST Saturday against Texas State then hope that McNeese loses at home to Nicholls State at 8 EST.

Me, I'd like it best if Sam Houston goes ahead and loses to Texas State. That way McNeese is in no matter what happens later.

SouthernEagle02
November 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
There's no flaw. NDSU knew what the rules were when they made the jump.

Maybe so but I think the question that has been raised by proponets of NDSU getting in, is that the NCAA may have to go and adopt new policies regarding a school moving up or down in classification. I mean let's face until this year, there hasn't been another team to move up to I-AA that's performed as well as NDSU during thier probationary period. Now I agree with Cluck U, however IMO it serves no purpose for a transitional team to be ranked during thier probationary period if they cannot compete in the playoffs. Make sense?

FUtilitspurple
November 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I agree USD had a weak schedule but I think Chuck South's may have been as bad or worse. USD played 8 DI games and 2 D II games.
Chuck South had 4 D II games ( heck I don't even think all 4 were D II ).:rotateh:
...and is Chuck South in the playoff conversation...no.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM

No but weakest schedules are.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM

and they were until Jerry brought em to Jesus yesterday.

November 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
... there hasn't been another team to move up to I-AA that's performed as well... it serves no purpose for a transitional team to be ranked during thier probationary period if they cannot compete in the playoffs. Make sense?No, the rankings have nothing to do with competing in the playoffs and the quality of a school's teams has nothing to do with a school transitioning from one set of rules to another.

The rankings are not official NCAA ones like in lower divisions and while athletes may be able to transition on a dime, school administrations can't.

ravens
November 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
No, the rankings have nothing to do with competing in the playoffs and the quality of a school's teams has nothing to do with a school transitioning from one set of rules to another.

Agree. I know they really wouldn't want not to have a Top 10 ranking .
Yet is doesn't make them eligible, so you take pride and satisfaction in the ranking.

YoUDeeMan
November 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Maybe so but I think the question that has been raised by proponets of NDSU getting in, is that the NCAA may have to go and adopt new policies regarding a school moving up or down in classification. I mean let's face until this year, there hasn't been another team to move up to I-AA that's performed as well as NDSU during thier probationary period. Now I agree with Cluck U, however IMO it serves no purpose for a transitional team to be ranked during thier probationary period if they cannot compete in the playoffs. Make sense?

The Ivy League schools get ranked, but they can't complete in the playoffs either.

As someone else mentioned, the schools should enjoy their rankings even if they can't make the playoffs.