PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions - Week 13

mvemjsunpx
November 19th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Here we go. The week of real rivalries… and conference-instituted rivalries.

Friday

EWU 45-30 Portland St. — The Eags always underachieve against PSU, but the Viks just seem too lost & depleted

Saturday

Sac State 38-42 Davis — Aggies are 18-4 against Sac since 1992 despite being at a lower level for much of that

Weber 35-33 Idaho St. — Weber ALWAYS beats Idaho State… AAAALLLLLWWWWAAAYYYYYYSSS!!!!

Suutah 20-28 NAU — The 'Jacks are at home & still have some vague hope of a playoff spot

Montana St. 27-35 Montana — I hear rumors that the NCAA will let Mick Delaney play running back in this one

NoDak 13-21 NoCo — The two worst offenses in the Big Sky square off in a meaningless contest… WOO HOO! xthumbsupx

Cal Poly 42-21 San Diego — Only one of these teams will make the playoffs, & it won't be the team that wins

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Eastern WA over Portland State. May be a repeat of last year's video game shoot out but there is little doubt about outcome.
Sacramento St over UC Davis. Davis tends to win this rivalry but I don't believe it happens this year.
Idaho State over Weber State. Wildcat's math woes continues as Bengals > Wildcats.
No Arizona over So Utah. Won't be shocked if Lumberjacks blew this one too, though suspect they win it at home.
Montana over Montana State. Grizzlies offense looks good against cat's defense. Cat's offense doesn't look so good against UM defense.
No Colorado over No Dakota. Dakota boys have trouble moving the ball and finding end zone outside of Grand Forks. That continues this week.
Cal Poly over San Diego. It will be interesting to see if San Diego deserves their fine season record. I suspect not.

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Eastern
Sac
ISU
NAU
STATE (sorry)
NODAK
Poly

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Eastern
Sac
ISU
NAU
STATE (sorry)
NODAK
Poly

You are a bad fan! No soup for you!!!

tomq04
November 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM
You are a bad fan! No soup for you!!!

I'd have to think the griz at home are at least slightly favored.

Catbooster
November 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Eastern
Sac
ISU
NAU
STATE (sorry)
NODAK
Poly

Don't be sorry - I agree with these.

wapiti
November 20th, 2014, 02:48 PM
EWU 38 @ 24 PSU EWU should win this game easily. But PSU has been known to step up its game on occasion. Even if they do, EWU should still win

Sac St 32 @ 35 UC Davis. Davis just took down a decent Cal Poly team on the road. Now with that confidence and being at home they beat Sac St.

WSU 24 @ 32 ISU The BBQ keeps it close all game. The Bengals pull out the win in the 4th.

SUU 17 @ NAU 26 NAU has been decent at home and SUU has struggled all season.

MSU 38 @ UM 40 In another high scoring game for the Cat's, the Griz offense looks really good. Plus the griz have home field.

UND 14 @ UNC 23 Home team takes the win here. It seems as though UND struggled more through out the season then UNC did and it shows in this game.

Cal Poly 45 @ 20 San Diego This is the pioneer league San Diego team and not the FBS San Diego team. (At least its Div 1)

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be incorrect. Just going with my gut. I think our D isn't able to slow them down enough, and our offense sputters. In short: they score more points than we do

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be incorrect. Just going with my gut. I think our D isn't able to slow them down enough, and our offensive sputters. In short: they score more points than we do

Very plausible analysis. Still No Soup For You!

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be incorrect. Just going with my gut. I think our D isn't able to slow them down enough, and our offensive sputters. In short: they score more points than we do

Wet, windy, cold and yes LOUD conditions tend to result in low-scoring grind it out type games, which would definitely favor the Griz. I'll take a page out of your book and eat my shorts if the Cats score more than 30.

bonarae
November 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM
EWU
UCD
ISU-O
NAU
Griz
UNC
CP

Walkon79
November 20th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Don't be sorry - I agree with these.

Me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Red & Black
November 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Eastern
UC Davis
Idaho State
NAU
Montana State (It'd be cooler if they didn't)
UNC
Cal Poly

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2014, 10:06 PM
What the hell's up with this thread!? A Griz fan picks the Cats, a Cat fan picks the Griz… xsmhx

Is the rivalry dead? xeyebrowx

tomq04
November 20th, 2014, 10:41 PM
What the hell's up with this thread!? A Griz fan picks the Cats, a Cat fan picks the Griz… xsmhx

Is the rivalry dead? xeyebrowx

Fake fans!

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM
i'm just depressed.

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2014, 12:45 AM
i'm just depressed.

Delaney's gone...isn't that the ray of sunshine everyone's been waiting for?xconfusedx

veinup
November 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Delaney's gone...isn't that the ray of sunshine everyone's been waiting for?xconfusedx

He isn't quite gone.xcoffeex

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM
Wet, windy, cold and yes LOUD conditions tend to result in low-scoring grind it out type games, which would definitely favor the Griz. I'll take a page out of your book and eat my shorts if the Cats score more than 30.

Why would Grind it out games favor the Griz, with the rushing attack of the Cats (#8 in FCS) vs Montana (#67 in FCS) to go along with MSU, #20 in TOP vs UM at #108? Please explain your perception.

veinup
November 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
robnotes4u poses a good question ...

tomq04
November 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Prediction?

Are there any wheels left to fall off for anyone? I have a hard time believing EWU can pull out a loss at PSU...NAU and Cal Poly already crapped them selves, and that really only leaves Montana needing a win at home.

Guess that means MSU is going to win based on that logic.

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2014, 11:17 AM
Why would Grind it out games favor the Griz, with the rushing attack of the Cats (#8 in FCS) vs Montana (#67 in FCS) to go along with MSU, #20 in TOP vs UM at #108? Please explain your perception.

Prukop is their leading rusher and likely won't start. If Shawn Johnson is healthy, he could cause some problems.

Maybe "defensive battle" would have been a better description, and if you're going to argue that would favor the Cats, I'm not sure what to tell you.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2014, 11:32 AM
Not arguing. There is more than just rushing in TOP also. Prukop and Johnson aren't the only part of the Cats Rushing attack. Have you seen the TON package?

How did grinding work with Cal Poly?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

catbob
November 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
I was wondering the same thing, I don't think you want to count on the weather to slow down the Cats, we run power as well as anyone in the conference...

A lot of our big plays are passing plays, but those are set up by the run.

You have to go all the way back to UND to find a team that held us under 250 rushing yards (under 100 actually). Since then we've averaged 298 rushing yards per game. Last game with Prukop or Johnson we still still ran for 262 with mainly a combination of Newell and Knight, two power backs. Brekke and Johnson simply add the speed/homerun factor, and with a healthy Prukop it is almost impossible to stop the 5 headed rushing attack, there aren't really enough carries to go around, so they all stay fresh.

I'm not saying the Griz can't stop our running game, UND did it, it can be done. But the OL is playing at an extremely high level. Hopefully Justain Paige is back healthy, he is our over the top speedy WR. We don't have a deep threat outside of him so Flotkoetter went down, so we need him back healthy.

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2014, 12:02 PM

I am so confident the cats won't score more than 30, that if they do, Grizalltheway can eat my short too!

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
I was wondering the same thing, I don't think you want to count on the weather to slow down the Cats, we run power as well as anyone in the conference...

A lot of our big plays are passing plays, but those are set up by the run.

You have to go all the way back to UND to find a team that held us under 250 rushing yards (under 100 actually). Since then we've averaged 298 rushing yards per game. Last game with Prukop or Johnson we still still ran for 262 with mainly a combination of Newell and Knight, two power backs. Brekke and Johnson simply add the speed/homerun factor, and with a healthy Prukop it is almost impossible to stop the 5 headed rushing attack, there aren't really enough carries to go around, so they all stay fresh.

I'm not saying the Griz can't stop our running game, UND did it, it can be done. But the OL is playing at an extremely high level. Hopefully Justain Paige is back healthy, he is our over the top speedy WR. We don't have a deep threat outside of him so Flotkoetter went down, so we need him back healthy.

It is a given the cats dynamic offense will score some points. I suspect they'll go out to the early lead.
However, I suspect the MSU offensive production will diminish greatly as the game goes on. The question mark is if the Grizzly offense gets going.

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2014, 12:48 PM
It is a given the cats dynamic offense will score some points. I suspect they'll go out to the early lead.
However, I suspect the MSU offensive production will diminish greatly as the game goes on. The question mark is if the Grizzly offense gets going.

Agreed. The O has been a model of inconsistancy this season, but there's been a marked difference between home and away games. Hopefully they can keep the momentum they built in the second half against SUU rolling.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Talk about a difference. ISU, one of the top scoring offenses, was held to 9 points in the second half last week by the MSU defense. How many times has that happened to ISU this year?

#10 Scoring offense
#5 RB in the FCS (#1 in BSC)
#1 QB for passing TDs in FCS

5 Drives in the second half, 17, 46, 63, 67, -9 for a total of 185 yards. That was good adjustments from the 1st half.

veinup
November 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Well, at least we're not playing ISU.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2014, 04:45 PM
Well, at least we're not playing ISU.

It would have made all this playoff stuff a lot simpler. Playing them instead of a D2 school would have been great.

THE DANIMAL
November 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM
I appreciate stats and all but in my opinion stats mean very little and in many games depending on matchups (especially Cat/Griz game) can be thrown out the window completely. Every week at any level of football you see upsets or close games between teams that many predicted to be blowout wins. Just take the Raider vs Chief game last night for example. I don't know who's going to win this game tomorrow but I could careless about the stats. I also could careless about comparable head to head matchups. Every teams OL, DL, CB, WR, RB's matchup differently with each opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Disclaimer: I only played high school football and have never coached. I'm also not a statistician so what do I know?

Griz 93

Cats 0

xdrunkyx

Red & Black
November 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM
Prediction?

Are there any wheels left to fall off for anyone? I have a hard time believing EWU can pull out a loss at PSU...NAU and Cal Poly already crapped them selves, and that really only leaves Montana needing a win at home.

Guess that means MSU is going to win based on that logic.

Unfortunately, I think they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2014, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, I think they will.

Cheer up Red & Black, the only thing Montana State is possibly winning tomorrow is the coin toss.

Red & Black
November 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM
Cheer up Red & Black, the only thing Montana State is possibly winning tomorrow is the coin toss.

I hope you're right. Should be a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2014, 08:36 PM
I am so confident the cats won't score more than 30, that if they do, Grizalltheway can eat my short too!

Side note

The Bobcats haven't hit 30 points against the Griz since 1995 (the highest since is 27 in '01 & '03).
The Bobcats haven't hit 30 points against the Griz in a win since 1985, the year before "The Streak" started.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2014, 08:44 PM
Side note

The Bobcats haven't hit 30 points against the Griz since 1995 (the highest since is 27 in '01 & '03).
The Bobcats haven't hit 30 points against the Griz in a win since 1985, the year before "The Streak" started.

Additional Side Note.

• Montana State has now scored 449 points in 2014, the most in one season in Bobcat history

Montanan
November 21st, 2014, 09:02 PM
Player talent is pretty even, what's not is game time/half time adjustments. Unfortunately for my Griz, adjustments haven't proven to be our strong suit (the past few years). That said, the Cats wi..................................

veinup
November 21st, 2014, 09:53 PM
PSU has got this! ... seriously, do they have any fans

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2014, 10:43 PM
The Griz played the Bison in Fargo and the Cats didn't...FTC...gimme Griz - $Texas to Cats - Threeve.

Don't care about the rest. *drops mic* :D

EdubAlum
November 22nd, 2014, 12:44 AM
Big sky champs baby!

Red & Black
November 22nd, 2014, 01:02 AM
EWU locks up another BSC championship. We'll see if we have to share with MSU tomorrow.

robsnotes4u
November 22nd, 2014, 07:48 AM
Congratulations. That late kickoff return couldn't have come at a better time!

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Congrats EWU. We should be sharing it with you later today.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Congrats EWU. We should be sharing it with you later today.

Catbooster, not so fast. Just make sure you keep your anti-depression meds handy for this evening.

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Catbooster, not so fast. Just make sure you keep your anti-depression meds handy for this evening. xthumbsupx

xbeerchugx
Here's to a good game and no injuries -

and a Cat win ;)

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2014, 01:58 PM
xthumbsupx

xbeerchugx
Here's to a good game and no injuries -

and a GRIZ win ;)

I can certainly agree to this... Good game, no more injuries, and good guys win. xhandshakex

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM
Wow

I didn't expect such a complete collapse. 7 turnovers isn't going to win many games.

Congrats Griz. You definitely won that game.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Additional Side Note.

• Montana State has now scored 449 points in 2014, the most in one season in Bobcat history

Bumping for the lawlz.

veinup
November 25th, 2014, 04:01 PM