PDA

View Full Version : Mark Richt Advocates for FCS. Go Dawgs

Catatonic
November 18th, 2014, 04:11 PM
You sit in the room and you hear some of the FCS coaches say that if no one would play them from the FBS — with the types of paydays they get — then they would really worry about whether or not they could sustain their programs,” Richt said. “I think it would be horrible to have some of these programs not be able to play football because none of the FBS schools would play them.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/despite-playoff-richt-favors-keeping-fcs-opponents/nh9hF/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_uga_sfp

Hammerhead
November 18th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Or some schools could drop down to D-II if they want to keep playing football and can't afford to be in D-I.

Gordon Shumway
November 18th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Or some schools could drop down to D-II if they want to keep playing football and can't afford to be in D-I.

That is a pretty provincial attitude, don't you think.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM
That is a pretty provincial attitude, don't you think.

I don't believe so. It's the PA model for their "smaller" state schools. A lot of the PSAC schools would be FCS in other states, especially West Chester, IUP and Bloomsburg...

The problem is the "Dayton Rule".....

bonarae
November 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM

That should be the case for most HBCU's. (Most MEAC ones are the exception.)

I don't believe so. It's the PA model for their "smaller" state schools. A lot of the PSAC schools would be FCS in other states, especially West Chester, IUP and Bloomsburg...

The problem is the "Dayton Rule".....

First paragraph: The Michigan schools with the word "State" not named Michigan State are all in D-II, and would be FCS had they been located in other states also.

Second paragraph: Is the Dayton Rule an old rule of the NCAA? Or are remnants of it still being implemented? I may be asking on Quora about this... xchinscratchx

Bisonoline
November 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM
What is the Dayton rule?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2014, 05:59 PM
First paragraph: The Michigan schools with the word "State" not named Michigan State are all in D-II, and would be FCS had they been located in other states also.

Michigan does have 5 FBS programs compared to 3 in PA. The fact that PA, and NY, only have 3 state universities playing D1 football is a bit unusual. Ohio has 9....

The unique D2 school in Michigan is Wayne State imo. They have the location and money to be FBS. In fact, they could sponsor a better FBS program than EMU imo.

Temple and Pitt were private universities for a long portion of their history. Had they not been grandfathered in I think it's very possible that Penn State would be the only FBS program in the state.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM
What is the Dayton rule?

Essentially if one sport is DI, all sports have to be DI. Dayton dropped to DIII in football some years back and killed everybody. NCAA stepped in and said "Nope, you have to be DI" That's how the PFL was born as a non-scholly football conference.

superman7515
November 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
The original "Dayton Rule" was that if your other sports are Division 1, you can still play D2 or D3 football, you just weren't eligible to be ranked or to be in the playoffs. UC Santa Barbara, for example, continued to play D3 football for years after the Dayton Rule went into affect following the 1983 D3 Championship-sham. Then between the 1991 and 1992 seasons, the NCAA decided that if you were D1 in one sport, you had to be D1 in all sports (special exceptions were made for those with more money than the UC Santa Barbara's of the world). Those schools then banded together and requested that the NCAA create a 1AAA football classification that would be only for those schools without scholarships (PFL, Ivy, Patriot, anyone else that wanted to join). Santa Barbara, Fullerton, Long Beach, Santa Clara, and Pacific said "Peace!" and all folded up shop because California wouldn't increase the funding and the NCAA wouldn't allow a non-scholarship only football division (which would have quieted some of the angst seen today in FCS).

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Am I the only person that thinks that schools using tuition as part of the team's budget is a little gratuitous? I mean what is the marginal cost of adding all scholarship athletes to classes? It's cute that they raise money with one hand then put it in this hand and then say that it has a value that is way overpriced and overvalued in many cases (yes I know many of your schools are great).

Then there's the Dayton rule. So these schools LOVE money. they want to keep the basketball gravy train coming in and they have to be D1 in football so they get what would have been their $0 65 players and collect $2,258,750 from them (I used Butler as an example since they took a bid from an otherwise deserving team first).

Maybe im too cynical.

utcfan
November 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM
It's not just FCS teams that need Power 5 $....so do the other FBS conferences that get $800,000-$1,000,000 per game. Most play at least 1 game, some 2 or 3. Keeps their programs afloat.

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2014, 07:44 PM
In theory don't the P5 conferences need the money too? They could guarantee income with a small expense. They know they will still get a good gate even if it's not a huge game because these are regularly early on. A home home cuts their profit in half. $400k for a team to come so you can make a buttload of money off tv and tickets and concessions seems like a great deal

utcfan
November 18th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Oh yes, I think I read they net a few million on a home game after parking, concessions, ticket sales, jerseys/t-shirt sales, etc..Really a win-win.

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Average ticket at a P5 school is about $55 and the average attendance is 45,000 = $2.475 million....not counting TV revenue, popcorn, cokes and this first down brought to you by "Bob Madison Kia"...oh and PSL/required gifts to the university.....paying $500,00 to a FCS squad for an assured win sounds like a good deal.