PDA

View Full Version : Fordham-Army

Fordhamanhattan
November 18th, 2014, 07:36 AM
With the Lehigh-Lafayette 150th, the Harvard-Yale tussle garnering much attention, the game of the week might still be the Fordham eleven's march up the Hudson. Ram fans will be invading West Point by ferry from Manhattan, automobile, the Metro-North train as well as autobus to see a renewal of a fray that was first engaged in 1891 which became the Black Knights first victory of all-time. But first the preparation, tomorrow night at Fordham's spanking new Law School (the best in the Patriot League) there will be a reception sponsored by the West Point Society of New York and the hosts. A West Point Medal of Honor winner will be the host and the West Point Band and the Fordham Ramblers will perform. The reception is only $50 due to the intercession of a West Point graduate whose sons went to Fordham and who played Pop Warner football for the same team as I, the Greenpoint Crusaders of the Eastern district of Kings County. It is expected that Fordham's own Four Star General, John Keane (see Fox News) will offer a toast two Fordham's two Medal of Honor winners from the Vietnam conflict. Also expected is Andy Lukac who was the captain of our 1950 team which had a bloody conflict with the Black Knights of the time. Andy was recruited to Fordham by the Ram's then assistant coach Vincent T. Lombardi who later went on to join Earl Blaik's staff up the Hudson and later further glory. Andy is also probably one of the few still alive who met Pop Warner who recruited his older brother to play for Temple. It's gonna be fun and I booked a room for two days at the Thayer, Go FORDHAM! This group has beaten Yale, Villanova and Penn for the first time in Fordham history. West Point would complete the set.

xbowx

BNiche
November 18th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I am super excited for the game. As a Fordham alum, this was my first year having season tickets and being able to watch Fordham take out St. Francis, URI (in pouring rain during Homecoming), Lafayette, and Georgetown last week has been a blast. Frankly, it's nice to get the one part of the college experience I never got when I went to Fordham's Manhattan campus for undergrad.

I have 5 of my friends (only one Fordham alum) who will be attending. Has anyone attended a game at Michie? Any tips or things I should know before going? It'll be my first time!

About the game... any word on Nebrich? If Nebrich is able to play, we have a shot, though it should be a tough game either way.

Fordhamanhattan
November 18th, 2014, 08:38 AM
The first college game I ever saw was as a 12 year old in 1964 when army had Rollie Stichweh at QB and played Washington State with Junior Coffey. Obviously, I never forgot it. As i was sitting in an end zone seat, I got an extra thrill by catching an extra point. Make sure you go to the pregame reception under tent at 10 A.M. or you can watch the Cadets march. There is no more beautiful place to watch college football, and I went to graduate school at UT Austin and Northwestern.

PAllen
November 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
So are the Rams headed up Friday night or are they going to risk getting stuck on a bus in the snow again Saturday morning.

citdog
November 18th, 2014, 11:14 AM
fordham and husdon high are quite similar. one is a faux ivy league school and the other is supposedly a military school. two peas in a pod.

FordhamFan
November 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
So are the Rams headed up Friday night or are they going to risk getting stuck on a bus in the snow again Saturday morning.

Heading up Friday night. No doubt about that one haha

Fordham
November 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
fordham and husdon high are quite similar. one is a faux ivy league school and the other is supposedly a military school. two peas in a pod.
thank you. we usually don't get aligned so closely with the Ivies like that.

bison137
November 18th, 2014, 12:49 PM

Selectivity: Army accepts 9% of applicants ("Most Selective") . Citadel accepts 76% of applicants ("Less Selective").

Average SAT score: Army: 1290; Citadel: 1080

Average ACT score: Army 29.5; Citadel 23

citdog
November 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Selectivity: Army accepts 9% of applicants ("Most Selective") . Citadel accepts 76% of applicants ("Less Selective").

Average ACT score: Army 29.5; Citadel 23

4th Class System at Army non-existent. 4th Class System at The Citadel Toughest on planet.

The Citadel Football vs Army. The Citadel has won two of the last three. Hence no more scheduling us.
Cheating Scandal at Army. Cheating gets you expelled from The Citadel.

bison137
November 18th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Number of people on the planet who would choose the Citadel over Army = maybe a dozen

PAllen
November 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Number of people on the planet who would choose the Citadel over Army = maybe a dozen

Cit, CID and who else?

Farrell
November 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I went to Fordham. So did my old man. As west side Irish as Gene Tunney and Frank McGuire. Wannabees at Fordham? Cambridge, Louvain, Sophia in Tokyo, the Sorbonne - for sure. The Ivies not so much. The Military College of South Carolina? Not in a million years

FordhamFan
November 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I dunno how well the offense will operate without Nebrich, but there are points to be had in this game. Fordham will have a chance if they don't let the triple option dominate them (which it totally could).

The Boogie Down
November 18th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Even with the Lehigh-Lafayette 150th and the Harvard-Yale tussle garnering much attention, the game of the week might still be the Fordham eleven's march up the Hudson. Ram fans will be invading West Point by ferry from Manhattan, automobile, rail as well as autobus to see a renewal of a fray that was first engaged in 1891 and which became the Black Knight's first victory of all-time. But first the preparation. Tomorrow night at Fordham's spanking new Law School (the best in the Patriot League) there will be a reception sponsored by the hosts and the West Point Society of New York. A West Point Medal of Honor winner will host and the West Point Band as well as the Fordham Ramblers will perform. The reception is only $50 due to the intercession of a West Point graduate whose sons went to Fordham. He played Pop Warner football for the same team as I, the Greenpoint Crusaders of the Eastern district of Kings County. It is expected that Fordham's own Four Star General, John Keane (see Faux News) will offer a toast to Fordham's two Medal of Honor winners from the Vietnam "conflict." Also expected is Andy Lukac, captain of our 1949 team which had a bloody conflict with the Black Knights of the time. Andy was recruited to Fordham by the Ram's then assistant coach Vincent T. Lombardi who later went on to join Earl Blaik's staff up the Hudson and later still, further glory. Andy is also probably one of the few still alive to have met Pop Warner who recruited his older brother to play for Temple. It's gonna be fun and I booked a room for two days at the Thayer. Go FORDHAM! This group has beaten Yale and Penn for the first time in Fordham history. West Point would be the trifecta.

xbowx

Couple of li'l errors. We did beat Villanova earlier although I'm digging deep to the Woodrow Wilson days for that one. The famous Army-Fordham showdown (featuring two ranked teams as well as a Lombardi family feud, Joe was playing for us at the time) took place in 1949. Also, personally, I'd consider 58,000 dead Americans more than simply a conflict. Either way, I tweaked your post a tiny bit but otherwise a truly knowledgeable and enjoyable read! Many thanks for sharing and as always, go Rams!

Here's a link: http://www.alumni.fordham.edu/calendar/detail.aspx?ID=3913

Hang out! Doncha get 1080 for just signing ya name?

citdog
November 18th, 2014, 07:26 PM

It's THE Citadel and this is why we require you to have a pair.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk73pIQaDi4

west point 4th class system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pc5o6I36c

CHIP72
November 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I've never been to Michie Stadium, but I've read the stadium is blah but the setting is spectacular.

Interestingly, while Lehigh and Lafayette will be coming to Fordham's neighborhood on Saturday, the Rams' opponent on Saturday came to Fordham's neighborhood themselves just two weeks ago. However, unlike L-L 150, the U.S. Military Academy's contest with Connecticut did not require the upper deck at the House That Steinbrenner Built to be opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sader87
November 18th, 2014, 10:32 PM
A game at West Point/Michie should be on every college football fan's bucket-list.

Take in the whole atmosphere...parade march, walking around the grounds etc. Hard to beat anywhere.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2014, 11:18 PM
A game at West Point/Michie should be on every college football fan's bucket-list.

Take in the whole atmosphere...parade march, walking around the grounds etc. Hard to beat anywhere.

Agreed.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I've never been to Michie Stadium, but I've read the stadium is blah but the setting is spectacular.

Interestingly, while Lehigh and Lafayette will be coming to Fordham's neighborhood on Saturday, the Rams' opponent on Saturday came to Fordham's neighborhood themselves just two weeks ago. However, unlike L-L 150, the U.S. Military Academy's contest with Connecticut did not require the upper deck at the House That Steinbrenner Built to be opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know where you have read that. I believe Sports Illustrated has Michie in its Top 5. Tradition envelops the ballpark. It is clean and classic and the fans are well behaved - they don't blow up the place after every touchdown like some stadia (though at West Point, they literally could do that :D), but it is classic college football in every way.

JoltinJoe
November 19th, 2014, 05:18 AM

So what goes down at THE Citadel Military Elementary School? You guys play with G.I. Joes at recess. What else? Dodgeball? Capture the Flag?

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Watched Yale play Army there in 1985. A great experience.

Well, except for the game. Yale got pounded. I got tired of that damn cannon going off after every Army TD.

Gater
November 19th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I've played there and been to games there as a fan and I agree with Sader on the hard to beat game day experience part. Also, winning is awesome. Giving up 59 in a loss is not recommended. That freaking cannon.

chattownmocs
November 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM
It's THE Citadel and this is why we require you to have a pair.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk73pIQaDi4

west point 4th class system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pc5o6I36c

But your team is charmin soft.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Michie is awesome! I've been lucky enough to see a game there twice, Lehigh in '95 and Temple in 2010. The stadium is the perfect size, the scenery is incredible and the tradition can't be beat.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2014, 11:01 AM
This is going to be an interesting benchmark game for Fordham. Wonder if the DVR can handle three games that day! ...H-Y, L-L, FU-Army

Fordhamanhattan
November 19th, 2014, 11:10 AM
A contemporary of mine i.e., old, just emailed that he's stuck in Europe on business. "I planned my whole fall around the pregame party and game UGH"

Fordhamanhattan
November 20th, 2014, 07:35 AM
The pregame shindig at Fordham Law in Lincoln Center was a smashing success. The fellowship was first rate. On Fordham's account, Father Joseph McShane gave masterful remarks. Father Daniel Gatti who was headmaster at Xavier and now is University Alumni Chaplain delivered a moving invocation. When Father Gatti was a student at Xavier on 16th street it was all military, he can be prevailed upon on occasion to recall his Senior Prom where he was part of the leadership court and among the fair ladies accompanying the court was a young Martha not yet Stewart. If you are not familiar with Xavier, it is the Jesuit quasi Military academy in Manhattan which has been the youthful stomping ground for folks Obama would say, like erstwhile NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker, Frank McGuire, Anthony Scalia and Al Roker. The West Point band provided entertainment and their Glee Club beautifully delivered songs. The Fordham Ramblers sang the National Anthem to absolute perfection. I was pleasantly taken by the beauty of the distaff cheerleaders for the Point. Not at all mannish!

Fordhamanhattan
November 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM
By the way, today is the 79th Birthday of author Don DeLillo who was a contemporary at Fordham to two men who changed their names after graduating, Charles osgood and Alan Alda.

BNiche
November 20th, 2014, 08:33 AM
The pregame shindig at Fordham Law in Lincoln Center was a smashing success. The fellowship was first rate. On Fordham's account, Father Joseph McShane gave masterful remarks. Father Daniel Gatti who was headmaster at Xavier and now is University Alumni Chaplain delivered a moving invocation. When Father Gatti was a student at Xavier on 16th street it was all military, he can be prevailed upon on occasion to recall his Senior Prom where he was part of the leadership court and among the fair ladies accompanying the court was a young Martha not yet Stewart. If you are not familiar with Xavier, it is the Jesuit quasi Military academy in Manhattan which has been the youthful stomping ground for folks Obama would say, like erstwhile NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker, Frank McGuire, Anthony Scalia and Al Roker. The West Point band provided entertainment and their Glee Club beautifully delivered songs. The Fordham Ramblers sang the National Anthem to absolute perfection. I was pleasantly taken by the beauty of the distaff cheerleaders for the Point. Not at all mannish!

I hope the game can live up to the standards of what could make a rivalry. After next year, Fordham doesn't have a game planned with Army for two years (http://fordhamsports.com/sports/2013/12/16/FB_1216132111.aspx?path=football).

Fordhamanhattan
November 21st, 2014, 06:10 AM
Nice mention of the fray by Fordham alumnus Colin McShane on the Imus in the Morning program. He was asked if he was going to the game and he responded "No, it's too cold, I only go to basketball games"