PDA

View Full Version : FCS Talent level: Rising or Falling?

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I was watching a few games yesterday (BCS and FBS) and felt the talent level was a bit lacking. With the creation of more/bigger conferences and the migration to BCS from FBS...as well as 25 more colleges adding football in the last 3 years...and the "specialization" of HS sports drawing kids away from football participation.... We have less HS kids competing for more scholarships? I see many more true freshmen participating then a decade ago, especially at the QB and OL positions (formerly reserved for upperclassmen). You can only spread talent so thin. This may also have some bearing on the FCS schools being more competitive with BCS schools....Thoughts?

PAllen
November 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I would say it is rising. The Lehigh team that I saw yesterday was pathetic by today's standards. But I couldn't help but think of how that team compared to some of the LU teams of the mid 90s. Those 90s teams would compete and often win against some of the better teams around the country. That LU team yesterday would (and has) been scorched by any good team in the country. From at least that narrow perspective, I would say that the talent level in FCS has risen over the last 20 years.

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I would say it is rising. The Lehigh team that I saw yesterday was pathetic by today's standards. But I couldn't help but think of how that team compared to some of the LU teams of the mid 90s. Those 90s teams would compete and often win against some of the better teams around the country. That LU team yesterday would (and has) been scorched by any good team in the country. From at least that narrow perspective, I would say that the talent level in FCS has risen over the last 20 years.

Has the FCS risen, or has the entire Football World (including BSC) been watered down....your observation could support both.

Sader87
November 16th, 2014, 01:44 PM
An interesting question....I think solid arguments could be made for both sides of the question. Your answer is probably skewed by the school you follow as well.

I think some leagues in the FCS are a lot better top to bottom (MVFC and CAA) than it was in say 1985 or 1995 but in total the level of play in the FCS is down (with respect to the FBS) than it was 20 or 30 years ago imo.