PDA

View Full Version : The Committee's Job just got a little easier

TypicalTribe
November 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
The losses by Bethune-Cookman, South Carolina State and Northern Arizona have really cleared up some of the potential bubble issues. This should lock up just one bid for the MEAC and will keep NAU from stealing the Big Sky title. Things are looking up for those teams on the bubble with a few more teams out of the way. Still plenty of football left today as well.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2014, 03:44 PM
So what you're saying is…

Jacksonville is now in the at-large hunt!!!! :D

xsmiley_wix

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Delaware laid a ostrich sized egg.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM
The bubble is going to be huge this year! Anytime there's a big bubble, it means there's going to be a lot of crying next Sunday. If all the right dominoes fall, AGS is going to be crazy next weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY

superman7515
November 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM

They are who we thought they were.

UNH Fanboi
November 15th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Delaware had a backloaded schedule and were never seriously in contention. I think Richmond just laid a much bigger egg. JMU looks to be improving every week.

Longhorn
November 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Delaware had a backloaded schedule and were never seriously in contention. I think Richmond just laid a much bigger egg. JMU looks to be improving every week.

Yes, you're correct, Delaware did enjoy a back-loaded schedule, although they posted a good win on the road against JMU in OT. Still, as the season unfolded UD never looked to be a legit contender for a playoff spot.

In contrast to UD, however, JMU played a tough front-loaded schedule, and coupled with the OT loss to UD, have been seriously overlooked or underestimated in the polls.

Today's win over Richmond was a statement game, and again I agree with you that JMU has been improving each week. Vad Lee is the real deal, and JMU now looks to have played its way into a playoff seed.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 05:12 PM
SIU eliminated themselves today with four turnovers on Senior Day.
:(

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Yes, you're correct, Delaware did enjoy a back-loaded schedule, although they posted a good win on the road against JMU in OT. Still, as the season unfolded UD never looked to be a legit contender for a playoff spot.

In contrast to UD, however, JMU played a tough front-loaded schedule, and coupled with the OT loss to UD, have been seriously overlooked or underestimated in the polls.

Today's win over Richmond was a statement game, and again I agree with you that JMU has been improving each week. Vad Lee is the real deal, and JMU now looks to have played its way into a playoff seed.

You think the CAA is getting three seeds? I doubt it.

Engineer86
November 15th, 2014, 05:18 PM

I have not seen them since the UD game, but I can't imagine JMU is anything like the team that was lucky to escape LEhigh and lost to Delaware. They were not impressive to start the season.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Charleston Southern is about to either get a really good quality win late in the season or cement the Big South Conference as a one bid conference if they beat Liberty.

CSU - 38
LU - 23

13:00 4th QTR

TypicalTribe
November 15th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Liberty still wins the auto-bid if they beat Coastal next Saturday.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Charleston Southern is about to either get a really good quality win late in the season or cement the Big South Conference as a one bid conference if they beat Liberty.

CSU - 38
LU - 23

13:00 4th QTR

Probably won't matter for CSU. Will only have 6 D1 wins.

dgreco
November 15th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Hopefully a few more teams lose and Bryant stays in the hunt for a possible at-large.

I don't see a way they get the at-large but if a few more teams stumble this week and next, we can at least be in the conversation.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Probably won't matter for CSU. Will only have 6 D1 wins.
Unless the Bucs beat Georgia next weekend between the hedges ...

smilo
November 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM
EIU loss was huge too.

I wish Murray St would've knocked EKU down a rung. That'd have been sweet.

Need an A+T win next week direly.

Gordon Shumway
November 15th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Unless the Bucs beat Georgia next weekend between the hedges ...

They must be thrilled knowing that is the only thing standing between them and 7 D1 wins. 20042

pokefan02
November 15th, 2014, 06:49 PM
McNeese eliminated themselves 3 weeks ago due to multiple injuries... But still had an outside chance going into this week

Sent from my HTC M8

Doc QB
November 15th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I have not seen them since the UD game, but I can't imagine JMU is anything like the team that was lucky to escape LEhigh and lost to Delaware. They were not impressive to start the season.

I watched that JMU/Richmond game today after LU. JMU has REALLY improved and looks solid. They would paste Lehigh if they played again. The QB Lee is very sharp.

blackbeard
November 15th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Hopefully a few more teams lose and Bryant stays in the hunt for a possible at-large.

I don't see a way they get the at-large but if a few more teams stumble this week and next, we can at least be in the conversation.

A win next week - 9-2 records with wins over CAA foes Stony Brook and Maine, along with a solid Bucknell team; losses at Liberty and SHU. They've got to get some strong consideration.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Call poly looking to back out of consideration losing to an awful, awful UC Davis team 38-21 half way through the 3rd

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 10:07 PM
The committee's job might be getting tougher since the last team or last two in is turning into a bit of cluster. A few teams getting upset next weekend and it could be a real mess.

BisonFan02
November 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Yeah....I think the committees job might be getting tougher for entirely different reasons now....might have to throw a bracket together tomorrow for fun.

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Call poly looking to back out of consideration losing to an awful, awful UC Davis team 38-21 half way through the 3rd

And they're not mounting any type of comeback. That will be the third Big Sky team to crap away a strong chance at a postseason berth today. Sheesh!

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2014, 10:23 PM
And they're not mounting any type of comeback. That will be the third Big Sky team to crap away a strong chance at a postseason berth today. Sheesh!

It's been a good day to be a Griz fan, I'll say that much.:D

Redbirdz
November 15th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Not sure there is a better FCS defense in the country than Jacksonville State. OVC champs again.

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Not sure there is a better FCS defense in the country than Jacksonville State. OVC champs again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 11:09 PM
I'd take UNI's defense against anyone's currently. The UNI offense, well...

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Also, cal poly should be embarrassed by that game tonight

Bison56
November 15th, 2014, 11:10 PM

Crack kills

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Also, cal poly should be embarrassed by that game tonight

Might be one of the biggest chokes I have seen from a team with control of its own destiny.

GoAgs72
November 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Cal Poly was lethargic from the beginning and the Aggies were fired up. That was the first complete game we've had all year.

From the games I've seen this year, The Big Sky may not deserve more than two teams in the playoffs. Only Montana has a defense and their offense is so-so. The rest of the teams have offenses but no defenses.

dudeitsaid
November 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Cal Poly was lethargic from the beginning and the Aggies were fired up. That was the first complete game we've had all year.

From the games I've seen this year, The Big Sky may not deserve more than two teams in the playoffs. Only Montana has a defense and their offense is so-so. The rest of the teams have offenses but no defenses.

At this rate, that may very well happen. EWU and UM or MSU, depending on who wins next week.

Of course, even more screwy, what if both EWU and MSU lose next week, and UM, NAU, and ISU win. All with the same conference record, that would be a tiebreaker nightmare to sort out! And then who makes it?

Twentysix
November 16th, 2014, 02:19 AM

xdrunkyx pass the brew-skis.

Cocky
November 16th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Watched most of the top team this year and I haven't seen one as good. Offense could improve some.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Watched most of the top team this year and I haven't seen one as good. Offense could improve some.

saw a bit of the game yesterday and Yes, the Jacksonville State D is good! active, angry, aggressive and swarm to the ball, very impressive!

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Might be one of the biggest chokes I have seen from a team with control of its own destiny.

2010 NDSU 0, Missouri State 3? Looking back, I'm amazed NDSU got in that year.

TennBison
November 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Let me introduce you to NDSU.

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Let me introduce you to NDSU.
And uni..

BigSouthFan
November 16th, 2014, 08:51 AM
And uni..

I agree on the NDSU, not quite sold that UNI has the BEST defense in the nation.

SoupCity85
November 16th, 2014, 08:52 AM
YSU has laid its annual egg in the last 3 weeks of the season. Barring NDSU not showing up week, YSU will cost themselves the playoffs for the 3rd straight year due to a November that wasn't meant to be. The assumption from Y-town is, YSU will be searching for a new HC as of next Sunday morning. Good luck to those teams that make the playoffs.

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I agree on the NDSU, not quite sold that UNI has the BEST defense in the nation.

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM
At-large based on no significant upsets this upcoming week.

MVFC:
ISUr
ISUb
SDSU
UNI

CAA:
Nova
JMU
Winner of W&M-Richmond

SLC:
SLU

OVC:
EKU

BSC:
Winner of the Brawl

That leaves 3 spots open between:

NAU 7-4 Massey 39 SoS 44
ISU 7-4 (6 DI wins) Massey 21 SoS 18
Montana 7-4 Massey 24 SoS 25
Montana State 8-3 Massey 23 SoS 37
Bryant 9-2 Massey 34 SoS 69
YSU 7-4 Massey 12 SOS 10 (Play at NDSU)
Bethune Cookman 8-3 Massey 50 SoS 81
McNeese 6-4 Massey 29 SoS 36 (5 DI wins)
SFA 7-4 Massey 28 SoS 28
CS0 8-3 Massey 32 SoS 68 (6 DI wins play at Georgia)
Bucknell 8-2 Massey 38 SoS 76

I'm I missing anyone?

Cocky
November 16th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Not sure either are as good as UTC.

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2014, 09:41 AM

MVFC:
ISUr
ISUb
SDSU
UNI

CAA:
Nova
JMU
Winner of W&M-Richmond

SLC:
SLU

OVC:
EKU

BSC:
Winner of the Brawl

NAU 7-4 Massey 39 SoS 44
SFA 7-4 Massey 28 SoS 28

I'm I missing anyone?

Man, that's an ugly bunch of choices for those last 3 slots. It would appear that the best choices are the two MT schools, and YSU, regardless of result @ NDSU. YSU pulls that NDSU upset, they are soooo in.

JayJ79
November 16th, 2014, 09:49 AM

the UNI defense has often faced the additional obstacle of being paired with the UNI offense, which has often (especially earlier in the year) put the defense in difficult field position and/or forced them to stay on the field for two thirds of the game

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Of course, even more screwy, what if both EWU and MSU lose next week, and UM, NAU, and ISU win. All with the same conference record, that would be a tiebreaker nightmare to sort out! And then who makes it?

If that happens, I believe all are conference Co-champs but Eastern WA wins the conference AQ slot based on head to head wins.
EWU has beaten MSU, ISU, & Montana.
NAU has beaten EWU (yet did not play any of the rest).
MT State has beaten ISU.
Montana would have beaten MT State.
Idaho State would not have beaten any of the other four.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM
If that happens, I believe all are conference Co-champs but Eastern WA wins the conference AQ slot based on head to head wins.
EWU has beaten MSU, ISU, & Montana.
NAU has beaten EWU (yet did not play any of the rest).
MT State has beaten ISU.
Montana would have beaten MT State.
Idaho State would not have beaten any of the other four.

The EWU-MSU game means nothing for conference standings right? That was a "true" OOC game iirc...dumb xcoffeex

I wonder if the Bobcats or EWU get credit for that when it comes to ranking OOC SOS...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM

NAU 7-4 Massey 39 SoS 44
SFA 7-4 Massey 28 SoS 28

I'm I missing anyone?

How many of these need to win next weekend to get to 7 D-I wins? Some can't make it to 7 D-I wins either.

Also, Cal Poly is missing.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
How many of these need to win next weekend to get to 7 D-I wins? Some can't make it to 7 D-I wins either.

Cal Poly has five losses, unless things get really ugly I don't think the committee puts a five loss team in.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM

MVFC:
ISUr
ISUb
SDSU
UNI

CAA:
Nova
JMU
Winner of W&M-Richmond

SLC:
SLU

OVC:
EKU

BSC:
Winner of the Brawl

NAU 7-4 Massey 39 SoS 44
SFA 7-4 Massey 28 SoS 28

I'm I missing anyone?

I can't recall any team with a Massey Rating of greater than 40 ever receiving an at-large invite ie Bethune Cookman.
Judging from the choices in previous years, Bryant looks like they are going to take one of those slots; as they will be co-champs provided they defeat Wagner. McNeese and Stephen F Austin will both have three conference losses. I don't think that's going to cut it this year. Chuck South lost two conference games at home, and won't get to seven wins. YSU is going to be on a four game losing streak and have four conference losses. Montana defeating Montana State at home gets them in, but a loss leaves them at 6 DI wins. For this prediction I'm going to assume the higher ranked team wins. NAU will have terrible losses, but all on the road. So I think that will get them a spot. The last spot will go to Bucknell, who defeated NEC champion Sacred Heart; but lost to Bryant on the road. They also lost to Fordham at home; but it was in overtime.

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I can't recall any team with a Massey Rating of greater than 40 ever receiving an at-large invite ie Bethune Cookman.
Judging from the choices in previous years, Bryant looks like they are going to take one of those slots; as they will be co-champs provided they defeat Wagner. McNeese and Stephen F Austin will both have three conference losses. I don't think that's going to cut it this year. Chuck South lost two conference games at home, and won't get to seven wins. YSU is going to be on a four game losing streak and have four conference losses. Montana defeating Montana State at home gets them in, but a loss leaves them at 6 DI wins. For this prediction I'm going to assume the higher ranked team wins. NAU will have terrible losses, but all on the road. So I think that will get them a spot. The last spot will go to Bucknell, who defeated NEC champion Sacred Heart; but lost to Bryant on the road. They also lost to Fordham at home; but it was in overtime.

That seems like the most likely outcome. Nice work.

h5322rsh
November 16th, 2014, 10:30 AM
YSU has laid its annual egg in the last 3 weeks of the season. Barring NDSU not showing up week, YSU will cost themselves the playoffs for the 3rd straight year due to a November that wasn't meant to be. The assumption from Y-town is, YSU will be searching for a new HC as of next Sunday morning. Good luck to those teams that make the playoffs. Wolford will be gone? I think that might be a mistake. He found an excellent QB and you guys played well in Brookings this year something that has not happened in years. Keep changing coaches it really helps!! The rest of the MVFC. (Sarcasm intended).

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 10:37 AM
If my math is correct the UNI defense/special teams gave scored 153 points this season.... UNI has 359 points on the season... One of those offensive tds if from a pick returned to the 1 yard line... So........

Oh, also look at the turnovers, sacks and field position UNI's defense has been forcing this year.

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2014, 11:06 AM

NAU win at SUU get them to 7
ISU cant get to 7
Montana win at MSU gets them to 7
Montana State at 7
Bryant at 7 have Wagner left
YSU at 7 have NDSU left
BCU at 7 have Florida A&M left
McNeese cant get ot 7
SFA at 6 NWLA left
CSO at 6 Georgia left
Bucknell at 8 Colgate left
Cal Poly at 6 Sac St left

Here without any updates of Sagarin or Massey (only 9 rankings in their composite so far)

Sorted by D1 wins then Sagarin from last week, could be a couple mistakes, as I was really tired last night doing it.

Sag rank
Team
Conference
Sag rating
Sag Sched Rat
Massey Ratings
D1 wins
Games Left

Coastal Caroli
Bsouth
Liberty

North Dakota S
MVFC
Youngstown St

Fordham
PL
Army

Illinois State
MVFC
S. Illinois

New Hampshire
CAA
Maine

Villanova
CAA
Delaware

Eastern Kentuc
OVC
Florida

Chattanooga
SC
Furman

SE Louisiana
SLC
Nicholls St

Eastern Washin
BSC
Portland St

James Madison
CAA
Elon

Bucknell
PL
Colgate

NC A&T
MEAC
NC Central

SanDiego
PFL
Cal Poly

Jacksonville S
OVC
SE Missouri St

Northern Iowa
MVFC
Missouri St

Youngstown Sta
MVFC
North Dakota St

Sam Houston St
SLC
Central Ark

Liberty
Bsouth
Coastal Carolina

Richmond
CAA
William & Mary

Montana State
BSC
Montana

Bryant
NEC
Wagner

William & Mary
CAA
Richmond

Bethune-Cookman
MEAC
Florida A&M

Sacred Heart
NEC
Done

South Dakota S
MVFC
South Dakota

Indiana State
MVFC
W Illinois

Montana
BSC
Montana State

Stephen F. Aus
SLC
Northeastern LA

Cal Poly-SLO
BSC
Sac St,

Charleston So
Bsouth
Georgia

Northern Arizona
BSC
So Utah

SC State
MEAC
Norfolk St

Albany-NY
CAA
Stony Brook

smilo
November 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Beautiful chart! Thank you for compiling that. Just a couple edits: JSU has 8 D1 wins. Cal Poly's opponent is San Diego. SFA's opponent in Northwestern State.
Central Arkansas and Northwestern State should be added off the top of my head as they can get to 7 next week. Delaware too but that won't be happening of course, haha.

I'd also like to see 6 win teams with a D2 win since that apparently counts for eligibility purposes for ISU-o however unlikely that may be. I think Morgan State can get there too technically. As can NC Central (though they'd be getting the Autobid if they get that). Chuck South has 1 D2 win so they'd technically be eligible as well though no shot at selection. [Sac St., I believe cannot because Menlo is NAIA so they are in SIU's boat. SC State would be there with a loss too.] Lamar is at 5+a D2 so a win vs. McNeese would make them eligible. Wagner is in the same boat but in a weaker conference with Bryant next week. Western Carolina and Samford would need to beat their ranked SEC opponents to get eligible thanks to the D2 counter. The last "eligible" team would be Dayton with a full D1 schedule and 7 awful wins.

So that's 12 more technically potentially playoff eligible teams. A shame that Sac St and especially SIU won't get to fight for the chance too.

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks it was late with a few beers.

I understand by rule that they are counters and listening to Danner I don't think the committee will use that as a guideline.

I think the statement "what team would you not want to play" fits Idaho State.

Watching Montana yesterday and the Montana State game I think Montana State with Prukop or Bleskin win. BSC might only get 2 in. I believe the best three are EWU, MSU, and ISU.

Dannen mentioned watching at least a quarter of the games the last few weeks. If they watch Cal Poly, NAU or Montana they only have 25% chance of finding a good quarter. I watched all three.

Going to be very interesting and maybe a new precedent or two will be set this year.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dgreco
November 16th, 2014, 12:00 PM
That seems like the most likely outcome. Nice work.

I hope that's the case. Bryant has played some great football this year, and has exceeded all expectations; it would be nice to see the kids earn a playoff spot.

wml33t
November 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Are we really considering teams with 6 DI wins, but throwing out 7-5 teams that played all DI opponents? That seems whacky to me. I think if W&M beats UR and some of these teams are considered, then UR should be considered as well. They have the win over Nova to hang their hat on.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Are we really considering teams with 6 DI wins, but throwing out 7-5 teams that played all DI opponents? That seems whacky to me. I think if W&M beats UR and some of these teams are considered, then UR should be considered as well. They have the win over Nova to hang their hat on.

I agree. Don't sleep on Northwestern State if they beat SFA, and it gets to the point a 7-5 team is considered. They have a win over the likely FBS Conference USA champion (La Tech), a win over Sam Houston, who will likely be a co-champion, a win over a potential 9-3 Southern, and would have a win over SFA,who would still finish with a winning record ... plus no bad losses. The second half meltdown vs Missouri State to start the season has come back to haunt them. They were up 24-7, driving to go up 31-7 and fumbled ... rest is history.

wml33t
November 16th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I agree. Don't sleep on Northwestern State if they beat SFA, and it gets to the point a 7-5 team is considered. They have a win over the likely FBS Conference USA champion (La Tech), a win over Sam Houston, who will likely be a co-champion, a win over a potential 9-3 Southern, and would have a win over SFA,who would still finish with a winning record ... plus no bad losses. The second half meltdown vs Missouri State to start the season has come back to haunt them. They were up 24-7, driving to go up 31-7 and fumbled ... rest is history.

Yeah, I'm obviously focused on W&M/UR, but this would really apply for any of the number of 7-5 teams with a good win or two and a full slate of D-I teams.

smilo
November 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Thank you again to robsnotes4u for making that original chart. I updated with today's Sagarin/Massey rankings, made the few edits and added all potentially eligible teams. New column for Counter wins. LMK if I switched up Massey/Sag numbers at any point, but I think I got it right. Had to remove the SOS and actual Sag rating because that would've been too much work after the overnight changes.

Sag rank
Team
Conference
Massey Ratings
D1 wins
D2 Win
Counters
Games Left

Coastal Caroli
Bsouth
No
Liberty

North Dakota S
MVFC
No
Youngstown St

Fordham
PL
No
Army

Illinois State
MVFC
No
S. Illinois

New Hampshire
CAA
No
Maine

Villanova
CAA
No
Delaware

Eastern Kentuc
OVC
No
Florida

Jacksonville S
OVC
Yes
SE Missouri St

NC A&T
MEAC
Yes
NC Central

Sacred Heart
NEC
Yes
Done

SanDiego
PFL
Yes
Cal Poly

Chattanooga
SC
No
Furman

Eastern Washin
BSC
NAIA?
Portland St

SE Louisiana
SLC
No
Nicholls St

James Madison
CAA
No
Elon

Bucknell
PL
No
Colgate

Montana State
BSC
Yes
Montana

Bryant
NEC
Yes
Wagner

Bethune-Cookman
MEAC
Yes
Florida A&M

Northern Iowa
MVFC
No
Missouri St

Indiana State
MVFC
No
W Illinois

Sam Houston St
SLC
No
Central Ark

Youngstown Sta
MVFC
No
North Dakota St

Richmond
CAA
No
William & Mary

William & Mary
CAA
No
Richmond

Dayton
Pioneer
No
Campbell

South Dakota S
MVFC
Yes
South Dakota

Liberty
Bsouth
Yes
Coastal Carolina

Montana
BSC
Yes
Montana State

Stephen F. Aus
SLC
Yes
Northwestern St

Charleston So
Bsouth
Yes
Georgia

Northern Arizona
BSC
Yes
So Utah

Wagner
NEC
Yes
Bryant

Northwestern St
SLC
No
SFA

Cent Arkansas
SLC
No
Sam Houston

Cal Poly-SLO
BSC
No
San Diego

Albany-NY
CAA
No
Stony Brook

SC State
MEAC
NAIA
Norfolk St

Delaware
CAA
No
Villanova

Samford
SC
Yes
Auburn

Idaho State
BSC
Yes
Weber St

McNeese State
SLC
Yes
Lamar

W Carolina
SC
Yes
Alabama

Lamar
SLC
Yes
McNeese

NC Central
MEAC
Yes
North Carolina A&T

Morgan State
MEAC
Yes
Delaware St

Southern Illinois
MVFC
NAIA
Illinois St

Sacramento St
BSC
NAIA
UC-Davis

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Thank you. Massey is only about half way, 18 so far with about 50 last week. Haven't looked at Sagarins

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dudeitsaid
November 16th, 2014, 02:37 PM
The EWU-MSU game means nothing for conference standings right? That was a "true" OOC game iirc...dumb xcoffeex

I wonder if the Bobcats or EWU get credit for that when it comes to ranking OOC SOS...
What does it matter. Its not like EWU chose Weber as their OOC game. Point fingers if we chose the easy path. Otherwise, recognize its a pain to schedule OOC games. East Coast teams are welcome to fly out to Cheney. But how many want to pay that kind of money and deal with that kind of travel to face a team that will probably beat them? What are your easy scheduling solutions for all of the western teams?

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM
What does it matter. Its not like EWU chose Weber as their OOC game. Point fingers if we chose the easy path. Otherwise, recognize its a pain to schedule OOC games. East Coast teams are welcome to fly out to Cheney. But how many want to pay that kind of money and deal with that kind of travel to face a team that will probably beat them? What are your easy scheduling solutions for all of the western teams?

Yeah, that was a pretty dumb post.

BigSouthFan
November 16th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Correction: Chuck So lost one game total at home, the other conference loss came to #1 Coastal on the road. And a 1-point loss at SEC foe Vandy. Their resume isn't as bad when it comes to that. Every team has a hiccup every now and then (7-3 loss to improved PC w/ a winning record). But their AD screwed them with two D2 opponents and two FBS opponents on the schedule.

URMite
November 16th, 2014, 02:57 PM
This is the chart I was looking for! Thanks.

One comment, Brevard is division I for Liberty?

SoupCity85
November 16th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Wolford will be gone? I think that might be a mistake. He found an excellent QB and you guys played well in Brookings this year something that has not happened in years. Keep changing coaches it really helps!! The rest of the MVFC. (Sarcasm intended).

But for 3 straight years, his teams could not get over the November hump. When you consistently fail to come up with a signature win (and YSU has had MANY chances in the last 3 years), someone has to pay.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Wolford is the only coach in the MVFC that I cannot stand. Still remember him whining at halftime wanting some of our players ejected for ticky tack things last year.

Hammerhead
November 16th, 2014, 03:21 PM

NDSU is #1 in scoring defense among teams eligible for the playoffs:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/28

Bethune-Cookman is #1 in total defense:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22

smilo
November 16th, 2014, 03:31 PM
This is the chart I was looking for! Thanks.

One comment, Brevard is division I for Liberty?

Great catch. Table is re-sorted.

unigriff
November 16th, 2014, 04:48 PM
This is hillarious. JSU isn't even in the top 10 in any statistical category defensively.

robsnotes4u
November 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Great catch. Table is re-sorted.

32 teams now in the Massey Composite, probably about 11 left to go.

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM
This is hillarious. JSU isn't even in the top 10 in any statistical category defensively.
I believe if you do more research you will find JSU not only in the top ten but leading the nation in a defensive category.

I dont believe either have competed against as many, if any, top ten offenses (in any category) as JSU. Our offensive style most likely requires our D to be on the field longer than most teams.

SU DOG
November 17th, 2014, 10:01 AM
When JSU is at full strength - WATCH OUT. IMO, their program was held back with Jack Crowe, but is now a team that nobody in the playoffs should want to face, and my opinion has nothing to do with last year. FCS fans in other parts of the country probably have no idea how strong these guys are.

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Jacksonville state and chattanooga are both on the level of ndsu and uni defensively.

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Jacksonville state and chattanooga are both on the level of ndsu and uni defensively.

......................... xlolx

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
......................... xlolx

I guess we will find out.

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I guess we will find out.

Finally....nice to see you guys actually make a postseason.

URMite
November 17th, 2014, 12:12 PM
One last thing, that won't really matter but...

Am I right that Dayton is on this list but not Jacksonville?

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I believe if you do more research you will find JSU not only in the top ten but leading the nation in a defensive category.

I dont believe either have competed against as many, if any, top ten offenses (in any category) as JSU. Our offensive style most likely requires our D to be on the field longer than most teams.

I won't get into a pissing match over who has the best defense, but all I know is Southeastern Louisiana to date, has faced the Nos. 5, 9, 15 and 27th ranked offenses in FCS, and eight of the top 50, with Nos. 31, 40, 44, and 48 being the others.

JSU has faced three top 50 offenses to date, with the highest being No. 21 ... the others are Nos. 24 and 35. UT-Chattanooga has faced five of the top 50 - Nos. 8, 36, 39, 42 and 47.

robsnotes4u
November 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
One last thing, that won't really matter but...

Am I right that Dayton is on this list but not Jacksonville?

Jacksonville withdrew from playoff contention.

clenz
November 17th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Jacksonville withdrew from playoff contention.
Not entirely true, from what I understand.

They withdrew from the AQ, not at-large consideration....

CasualFan
November 17th, 2014, 01:38 PM

That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Using my own conference as an example, it wouldn't be ethical for CCU to withdraw from the AQ (assuming they win Saturday) so that one of Liberty, Charleston Southern, or Presbyterian (not sure of the tiebreaker situation) gets in. All the bubble teams would be justifiably upset.

clenz
November 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Using my own conference as an example, it wouldn't be ethical for CCU to withdraw from the AQ (assuming they win Saturday) so that one of Liberty, Charleston Southern, or Presbyterian (not sure of the tiebreaker situation) gets in. All the bubble teams would be justifiably upset.
In my eyes it's similar to the issue with Fordham last season, only difference is' Fordham/the PL did it before the season.

robsnotes4u
November 17th, 2014, 01:45 PM

"Jacksonville and the PFL announced the decision Friday, saying the Dolphins will be removed from consideration for Football Championship Subdivision postseason play."

Just quoting ESPN, maybe your sources are more reliable.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11876730/jacksonville-university-football-program-withdraws-pioneer-league-race

clenz
November 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM
"Jacksonville and the PFL announced the decision Friday, saying the Dolphins will be removed from consideration for Football Championship Subdivision postseason play."

Just quoting ESPN, maybe your sources are more reliable.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11876730/jacksonville-university-football-program-withdraws-pioneer-league-race
Nothing I had seen read quite like that.

I'll believe it and I have no issues in believing it.

Any release I read simply stated from AQ status.

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I won't get into a pissing match over who has the best defense, but all I know is Southeastern Louisiana to date, has faced the Nos. 5, 9, 15 and 27th ranked offenses in FCS, and eight of the top 50, with Nos. 31, 40, 44, and 48 being the others.

JSU has faced three top 50 offenses to date, with the highest being No. 21 ... the others are Nos. 24 and 35. UT-Chattanooga has faced five of the top 50 - Nos. 8, 36, 39, 42 and 47.

JSU has also faced the number 14 and number 7 FBS team. This is total offense.

Stats do not tell the whole story for any team. At what point did reserves enter the game? How good is your offense? How good are your special teams? Your style of offense?

Weve have played OL on our D line even let a reserve long snapper (185 pounder) play D line against TTU. I'm sure all team have somewhat similar stories.

clenz
November 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Weve have played OL on our D line even let a reserve long snapper (185 pounder) play D line against TTU. I'm sure all team have somewhat similar stories.
If it was legal too UNI would have played a waterboy against TTU.

Did you see the stats from that game?

Had UNI not pulled the starter at half and foot off the gas in the first quarter that game would have been triple digits to zero.

I'm not joking.

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM
If it was legal too UNI would have played a waterboy against TTU.

Did you see the stats from that game?

Had UNI not pulled the starter at half and foot off the gas in the first quarter that game would have been triple digits to zero.

I'm not joking.

i know your not
our staff did everything possible to keep players interested in the game.

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Stats do not tell the whole story for any team. At what point did reserves enter the game? How good is your offense? How good are your special teams? Your style of offense?

No, stats don't always tell the story but you're the one who made the claim and brought up who has played the most top ranked offenses.

As for playing reserves, we play ours liberally throughout every game, regardless of opponent and score. We average playing 24-26 kids on defense on a weekly basis and sometimes more than that, depending on injuries or how many defensive players dress out.

unigriff
November 17th, 2014, 02:54 PM

I'll give you that..if you want to be crowned champion for having the number 1 3rd down conversion defense...you go right for it. Means nothing.

As for time of possession..don't even start..UNI avgs. less TOP than their opponent and it would be a lot worse had we not played UNC and Tenn. Tech. Without looking I'd venture to say UNI is the ONLY playoff eligible team to have under 30 min avg TOP on the season.

Your trying to reach a long way on these claims. JSU defense is good. Not great and possibly top 10. No where near top 5.

Sycamore62
November 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM

We advertised a ticket promotion that day. 2 adult tickets and you JFL player gets 4 reps in the 4th quarter

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 04:01 PM
No, stats don't always tell the story but you're the one who made the claim and brought up who has played the most top ranked offenses.

As for playing reserves, we play ours liberally throughout every game, regardless of opponent and score. We average playing 24-26 kids on defense on a weekly basis and sometimes more than that, depending on injuries or how many defensive players dress out.

I didnt bring up stats first

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I'll give you that..if you want to be crowned champion for having the number 1 3rd down conversion defense...you go right for it. Means nothing.

As for time of possession..don't even start..UNI avgs. less TOP than their opponent and it would be a lot worse had we not played UNC and Tenn. Tech. Without looking I'd venture to say UNI is the ONLY playoff eligible team to have under 30 min avg TOP on the season.

Your trying to reach a long way on these claims. JSU defense is good. Not great and possibly top 10. No where near top 5.

You said we were not top ten in anything. Dont be pissed at me because you did the research. I not reaching anywhere just from watching games for my judgments.
I dont believe EKU is avg 30 either
Im sure all of the top defenses are in the MVC?

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I didnt bring up stats first

Maybe not first but you did post the following:

"I believe if you do more research you will find JSU not only in the top ten but leading the nation in a defensive category.

I dont believe either have competed against as many, if any, top ten offenses (in any category) as JSU. Our offensive style most likely requires our D to be on the field longer than most teams. "

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Maybe not first but you did post the following:

"I believe if you do more research you will find JSU not only in the top ten but leading the nation in a defensive category.

I dont believe either have competed against as many, if any, top ten offenses (in any category) as JSU. Our offensive style most likely requires our D to be on the field longer than most teams. "

I did after it was posted we were not in the top ten in any category. Numbers can be adjusted to make any respectful team look good.
Havent looked at last years stats but I would be surprised if NDSU lead in most categories.

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I did after it was posted we were not in the top ten in any category. Numbers can be adjusted to make any respectful team look good.
Havent looked at last years stats but I would be surprised if NDSU lead in most categories.

You made the claim that JSU has the best defense in the country and seemed to imply the reason others are ranked higher is because they haven't played the same level of offenses you guys have. Perhaps I've either misread or misinterpreted your previous posts.

Cocky
November 17th, 2014, 05:35 PM
You made the claim that JSU has the best defense in the country and seemed to imply the reason others are ranked higher is because they haven't played the same level of offenses you guys have. Perhaps I've either misread or misinterpreted your previous posts.

On your post you left out two team I felt where worthy of noting EIU which is FCS and a top ten (FBS) stats team Michigan State.

This was my first post. A UNI poster started the stats part. And he posted something that factually incorrect so I posted it wasn't correct. Then I posted about offensive stats of opponents. If defensive stats are good why aren't offensive stats?

Stats give an indication of strength but not an absolute. Comparing apples and oranges when you play different teams or even the same team on different days. I like to use my eyeball.

I understand others do not agree with me but use correct info.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2014, 05:48 PM

On your post you left out two team I felt where worthy of noting EIU which is FCS and a top ten (FBS) stats team Michigan State.

This was my first post. A UNI poster started the stats part. And he posted something that factually incorrect so I posted it wasn't correct. Then I posted about offensive stats of opponents. If defensive stats are good why aren't offensive stats?

Stats give an indication of strength but not an absolute. Comparing apples and oranges when you play different teams or even the same team on different days. I like to use my eyeball.

Stats don't mean much, you guys could easily be a top defense. We will find out. Also, please don't lump UNI fans in with griff. xlolx

ValleyTalk
November 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Just read throught this entire thread. Boy did YSU royally blow it once again. If hell freezes over and they beat NDSU, one would think they are surely in at 8-4. That could mean SIX MVFC teams in the playoffs this year: NDSU, ILSU, UNI, SDSU, INSU and YSU if UNI, SDSU, and INSU all win as well.

I am a realist and do not expect it to happen because I don't see YSU winning in Fargo, but based on this years bubble, it could happen.

Redbird Recon
November 17th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I've got 16 teams in the field regardless of outcome this week...

Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina
New Hampshire
North Carolina A&T (as MEAC autobid)
North Dakota State
Sacred Heart
Jacksonville State
Fordham
San Diego
Chattanooga
Southeast Louisiana
Illinois State
Villanova
Eastern Kentucky
James Madison
Montana State - Yes, I know only 7 D1 wins.

Thoughts?

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2014, 06:23 PM

Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina
New Hampshire
North Dakota State
Sacred Heart
Jacksonville State
Fordham
San Diego
Chattanooga
Southeast Louisiana
Illinois State
Villanova
Eastern Kentucky
James Madison

Thoughts?

You've got Montana State in no matter what with 7 D-I wins but not UNI?

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM

I've watched Jacksonville State several times, and while they're certainly good on defense, my eyeballs tell me your eyeballs are a bit rose-colored. But it's all an opinion.

clenz
November 17th, 2014, 06:57 PM
You've got Montana State in no matter what with 7 D-I wins but not UNI?
A loss to this Missouri State team would be beyond dreadfully bad and should keep uni out unless the bubble completely falls a part

Big_Fan
November 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I've watched Jacksonville State several times, and while they're certainly good on defense, my eyeballs tell me your eyeballs are a bit rose-colored. But it's all an opinion.

Our secondary was inexperienced at the start of the season, and we had some questions at linebacker.

In addition, we had an entirely new defensive coaching staff.

I honestly believe that our DL is the best in the FCS, and that isn't rose-colored anything. We have a FBS caliber DL. Our rotund nosetackle is not one of them, but he plays meaner than any DL I have ever seen, and is much faster than you would think he would be.

Stats really don't tell the whole story. When you are winning by 40 at halftime and you finish the game with walk-ons getting toasted for big gains, it kind of damages your overall stats. Playing Michigan State doesn't help stats, either. Even so,if you take Michigan State out of the equation, we are top 10 in multiple categories. As it is, we are ranked pretty highly.

...and 3rd down defense matters a lot. Stopping people on third down is how you get your defense off of the field. EIU was 3/15 in 3rd down, and 0/2 on 4th down against us. That had a lot to do with the outcome of the game - and why we held them to their lowest offensive output of the season. They gained 451 yards against SIU, and 385 against ISU... and that was before they had found their groove on offense in the post-Garropolo era. I think Shepherd Little was injured early in the season as well. We held them to 304, with Little and Whitlow at full steam.

I really wish we could have played a MVFC team instead of Michigan State... but that doesn't pay the bills.

Bisonoline
November 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
A loss to this Missouri State team would be beyond dreadfully bad and should keep uni out unless the bubble completely falls a part

I dont see how you could lose to MSU if UNI shows up.

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina
New Hampshire
North Dakota State
Sacred Heart
Jacksonville State
Fordham
San Diego
Chattanooga
Southeast Louisiana
Illinois State
Villanova
Eastern Kentucky
James Madison

Thoughts?

If these four teams win SELU, SHSU, McNesses State and SFA, which they all should, then the auto bid goes to SHSU. http://www.southland.org/news/2014/11/17/FB_1117140134.aspx

But I agree SELA is still in

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2014, 03:15 PM
If these four teams win SELU, SHSU, McNesses State and SFA, which they all should, then the auto bid goes to SHSU. http://www.southland.org/news/2014/11/17/FB_1117140134.aspx

But I agree SELA is still in

We go by SLU.

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM

we nearly pissed that one away too. 7-5 may be ok though. Was UNI loss to SDSU with the starting qb?

Daytripper
November 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina
New Hampshire
North Dakota State
Sacred Heart
Jacksonville State
Fordham
San Diego
Chattanooga
Southeast Louisiana
Illinois State
Villanova
Eastern Kentucky
James Madison

Thoughts?

So, if SLU (SELA) loses to an 0-11 Nicholls team, they still deserve to be in?

clenz
November 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I dont see how you could lose to MSU if UNI shows up.
You've never watched uni apparently

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2014, 03:53 PM
we nearly pissed that one away too. 7-5 may be ok though. Was UNI loss to SDSU with the starting qb?

Nope

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM
You've never watched uni apparently

The team I saw beat the Bison 2 weeks ago was a very determined team. If UNI plays like that in the playoffs, assuming they get in, they will be a tough out for any team.

Sycamore62
November 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Nope

I'd either like to have played ISUr with our starting QB or SDSU without theirs. lol

I could see you being 2 games better with him for the whole season although I dont know what led to the turnovers vs ISUr

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2014, 04:11 PM

SDSU's starting QB? No. Sumner was still out. His first game back was NDSU - played decent for being off for 8 or 9 weeks. His first full week of practice was before we played you, I believe.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I'd either like to have played ISUr with our starting QB or SDSU without theirs. lol

I could see you being 2 games better with him for the whole season although I dont know what led to the turnovers vs ISUr

I agree we would have been better against YSU with him. I really think we would have won that game if Sumner played. Ifs and buts though.

As for ISU-R, that was just a disaster from the word go.

Panther-State
November 18th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Nope. UNI did not have their "starting" QB ;) Kollmorgen started that one...

Redbird Recon
November 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
So, if SLU (SELA) loses to an 0-11 Nicholls team, they still deserve to be in?
Deserve? Ehh...
Their 8 D1 wins gets them in.

JayJ79
November 18th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Nope. UNI did not have their "starting" QB ;) Kollmorgen started that one...

Kollmorgen threw two interceptions in that game, including a pick-6.

Panther-State
November 18th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Kollmorgen threw two interceptions in that game, including a pick-6.

Exactly.

ValleyTalk
November 18th, 2014, 09:49 PM
@JoeScalzo1: I'm hearing YSU has a VERY good chance of making the playoffs if it beats North Dakota State on Saturday. (I know - easier said than done.)

FargoBison
November 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM
@JoeScalzo1: I'm hearing YSU has a VERY good chance of making the playoffs if it beats North Dakota State on Saturday. (I know - easier said than done.)

I would agree with that, you would probably bump SDSU out.

But like you said, easier said then done. The Bison will be fired up to win a conference title.