PDA

View Full Version : Single-Bid SoCon

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Chatty has clinched the autobid and there's no way any other SoCon team can get to 7 D-I wins. Is that correct? I think several, like WCU, can get to six if they beat Alabama, but not seven.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Yep the SoCon is a one bid league, no doubt about it.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Never thought I would see the day.

Some surprisingly disappointing seasons (Furman) and dumb scheduling (Samford/Wofford/WCU).

dbackjon
November 13th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Of course, if WCU beats Alabama, would that get them in at 8-4 with two DII wins :)

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Of course, if WCU beats Alabama, would that get them in at 8-4 with two DII wins :)

A couple of years ago, Furman lost late in the season to Elon that all but dashed our playoff hopes. Needed to turn around and beat Florida to make the playoffs. After it was 22-0 Furman in the first quarter I thought we might just have a shot to do it.

walliver
November 13th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Never thought I would see the day.

Some surprisingly disappointing seasons (Furman) and dumb scheduling (Samford/Wofford/WCU).
I believe it last happened in 2003 when Wofford ran the table and all the others beat themselves up.

bonarae
November 13th, 2014, 05:39 PM
The SoCon is past its prime, I believe, with the exodus of its best teams to the FBS. Is the king of FCS conferences residing west of the Mississippi now? xchinscratchx

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2014, 05:43 PM
If WCU beats Alabama they better be in. xlolx

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2014, 06:04 PM
The SoCon is past its prime, I believe

In the words of former Furman SID, Mark 'My Words' Twain, "The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

AND

As former ElCid Head Coach, Jeff 'May I Carry That Bag for You Sir' Davis, once predicted, "The Southern will rise again!"

AND, FINALLY...

As former Mercer (Pre-Revival) Tight End, Red 'Scarlett' O'Hara, once so well-reasoned after a similar off-year (or so), "I'll stay home. And I'll think of some way to get a Playoff Bid back. After all...next season is another year."

chattownmocs
November 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Chattanooga has dominated the SOCON by an average of 26.4 a game. The highest scoring margin since 1996 Marshall. They went on to win it all.

Panther-State
November 13th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Chattanooga has dominated the SOCON by an average of 26.4 a game. The highest scoring margin since 1996 Marshall. They went on to win it all.

Well we may as well crown 'em....huh?

walliver
November 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM
In the words of former Furman SID, Mark 'My Words' Twain, "The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

AND

As former ElCid Head Coach, Jeff 'May I Carry That Bag for You Sir' Davis, once predicted, "The Southern will rise again!"

AND, FINALLY...

As former Mercer (Pre-Revival) Tight End, Red 'Scarlett' O'Hara, once so well-reasoned after a similar off-year (or so), "I'll stay home. And I'll think of some way to get a Playoff Bid back. After all...next season is another year."

I always thought Scarlett was a wide receiver.

heath
November 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Yep the SoCon is a one bid league, no doubt about it.
Wow, SoCon=Pioneer=Patriot . App ST fans are loving this and the president of the confederate states will make excuses.xnodx

bonarae
November 13th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Wow, SoCon=Pioneer=Patriot.

In the modern era, yes, that is quite unusual now. Much more unusual for the 24 team playoffs. I think the west/midwest teams get 3/4 of the pool.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Wow, SoCon=Pioneer=Patriot . App ST fans are loving this and the president of the confederate states will make excuses.xnodx

The Patriot League is closer to getting a second bid, dark days indeed for the Citdog.....

longtimemocfan
November 13th, 2014, 07:40 PM
It has been a down year in The SoCon, but I think eventually they will rise up to some respectability in the near future. I think in a few years it will be at least a 2 bid conference.... Wofford is very young and on the rise, Samford is steadily improving. Not sure what to make of Furman. Chattanooga is very well stocked for years to come and just give Mercer a few more years and I think they'll be ready to challenge for the conference crown as well.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I always thought Scarlett was a wide receiver.

Just a matter of perspective...I'm sure for a little dog, they all seem like WR's. For a Bear...TE's.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2014, 08:09 PM
It has been a down year in The SoCon, but I think eventually they will rise up to some respectability in the near future. I think in a few years it will be at least a 2 bid conference.... Wofford is very young and on the rise, Samford is steadily improving. Not sure what to make of Furman. Chattanooga is very well stocked for years to come and just give Mercer a few more years and I think they'll be ready to challenge for the conference crown as well.

I think it will be a two bid league next year.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Take away the (traditional) top 2 teams from any FCS league and there will be a drop off and an adjustment period...but like all things, nature abhors a vacuum and other SoCon teams will rise up.

longtimemocfan
November 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I think it will be a two bid league next year.

I think it would have been this year if Furman had not imploded.

chattownmocs
November 13th, 2014, 08:36 PM
My prediction for the future. Chattanooga will not lose more than 2 conference games as long as huesman remains at the helm of this awoken giant. But Chattanooga, Wofford, Mercer, Western, Samford, and furman will all find their way into the playoffs multiple times in the next 5 years.

smallcollegefbfan
November 13th, 2014, 10:03 PM

The only surprise this year is how bad Furman is. I said in the preseason Chatty SHOULD win the SoCon. Most talent and most of the league is weak now. It's not what it once was. When Marshall did that they beat a good Furman team, App State, Georgia Southern, etc. Chatty has no shot at a NC but should make it to the second round, at least. Best DL in the league and a top 3 DL in FCS. Tull should win DEF POY by a landslide.

Just sketch out the All-SoCon team. After about 8 players the league is really thin overall. Talent will improve as Mercer gets better but I think most of the top talent the league use to get is now in the FBS going to Charlotte, App, Ga Southern, Georgia State, etc. It's getting watered down and we are seeing it. Look at WCU. They were in top half this year and they were the perennial bottom dweller 10-15 years ago. Times have changed.

Top leagues in FCS are Big Sky, MVFC, and CAA. SoCon would be #6 or #7 right now. Not a big difference in MEAC and SoCon right now. Not bashing the league. Just stating the facts of the talent. SoCon has the least NFL talent I have ever seen. Tartt, Tull, Lott, and MAYBE the S at WCU are the ONLY legit NFL players in the league. A few others are camp bodies but that's about it.

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2014, 02:31 AM
The only surprise this year is how bad Furman is. I said in the preseason Chatty SHOULD win the SoCon. Most talent and most of the league is weak now. It's not what it once was. When Marshall did that they beat a good Furman team, App State, Georgia Southern, etc. Chatty has no shot at a NC but should make it to the second round, at least. Best DL in the league and a top 3 DL in FCS. Tull should win DEF POY by a landslide.

Just sketch out the All-SoCon team. After about 8 players the league is really thin overall. Talent will improve as Mercer gets better but I think most of the top talent the league use to get is now in the FBS going to Charlotte, App, Ga Southern, Georgia State, etc. It's getting watered down and we are seeing it. Look at WCU. They were in top half this year and they were the perennial bottom dweller 10-15 years ago. Times have changed.

Top leagues in FCS are Big Sky, MVFC, and CAA. SoCon would be #6 or #7 right now. Not a big difference in MEAC and SoCon right now. Not bashing the league. Just stating the facts of the talent. SoCon has the least NFL talent I have ever seen. Tartt, Tull, Lott, and MAYBE the S at WCU are the ONLY legit NFL players in the league. A few others are camp bodies but that's about it.

Bold statement that they have no chance. Borderline asinine. The league is down. And chattanooga has taken full advantage by taking care of business in a big way. The league however isnt bad enough that many teams would be as dominant if they took chattanoogas place. As a matter of fact there are probably no more than 5 teams that could match chattanoogas dominance. Chattanooga is a complete team. They can play with and beat, and dominate on a given night, any team in america. We are a nightmare matchup for any offense. We can stop heavy run or heavy pass teams. There aren't many truly balanced offenses out there. ChattanoogaChattanooga offense isn't great, yet, but they are improving weekly and will move the ball at will against any suspect defense. You better be more complete to beat them from here on out and they will still give anyone who is more complete a hard game. Chattanooga is a legitimate national title contender. A top 5 title contender. Btw. They will open the playoffs in the 2nd round at home as a national seed.

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
WCU is only losing SEVEN seniors off the 2014 team so the team is still young. A win over VMI would guarantee at least a share of 2nd place (let's go Citadel. HA!) and what that could possibly do for recruiting is simply awesome considering the 14-76 slate the CATS mustered from 2006-2013. The kids know UTC and Samford are still the teams to beat and while the pain of the last two weeks does suck, these kids also are focused on VMI for tomorrow. It would be WCU's 1st 5 win season in the SoCon since 2001. We are playing for a 7 win season, pride and, more important, recruiting. A 2-10 team going to at least 7-4 in one year? Yeah, kids will notice. Good luck to UTC in the postseason. GO CATS!

IBleedYellow
November 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Bold statement that they have no chance. Borderline asinine. The league is down. And chattanooga has taken full advantage by taking care of business in a big way. The league however isnt bad enough that many teams would be as dominant if they took chattanoogas place. As a matter of fact there are probably no more than 5 teams that could match chattanoogas dominance. Chattanooga is a complete team. They can play with and beat, and dominate on a given night, any team in america. We are a nightmare matchup for any offense. We can stop heavy run or heavy pass teams. There aren't many truly balanced offenses out there. ChattanoogaChattanooga offense isn't great, yet, but they are improving weekly and will move the ball at will against any suspect defense. You better be more complete to beat them from here on out and they will still give anyone who is more complete a hard game. Chattanooga is a legitimate national title contender. A top 5 title contender. Btw. They will open the playoffs in the 2nd round at home as a national seed.

You sound like a NDSU poster...except your team hasn't done **** to actually back up what you say.

OL FU
November 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
**** happens. If the next few years are like this, then we worry. Otherwise, **** happens.

LehighU11
November 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM
The SoCon has too many good programs with strong football culture to stay down for long. This year seems to be an anomaly, and I'd expect them to be a perennial 2-bid league in the future.

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2014, 08:20 AM
You sound like a NDSU poster...except your team hasn't done **** to actually back up what you say.

Except no one said ndsu had no chance. So, here it comes, STFU

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Furman's got some issues that go beyond injuries (particularly on offense). Still, I imagine if you put the same injury constraints on most FCS teams you would see a similar result. Furman's season was just derailed almost before it started.

Furman has lost significant time close to 30 players this year. Key starters aside, the depth chart was just decimated. I'm sure the staff will do a post-mortem on why that happened, and if it can be avoided, but losses along the OL and defensive backfield have just been crippling.

Tanner Skogen, a backup running back, played both offense and defense on Saturday against the Citadel. When was the last time that's happened in D1 football?

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I've noted this before, but with the glut of programs playing D1 football from 10-15 years ago, recruiting will suffer across the board. You are adding more competition for players without enlarging the pool of talent.

However, though one may say talent is going to App State and Georgia Southern, I watched them play last year. If they had more talent, it wasn't noticeable. App was soundly beaten pretty much weekly, and GSU was a .500 team.

Everyone knew this was going to be a transition year for the Conference. You take the two biggest programs out of any conference, and the overall product will suffer. Still, the SoCon has been pumping out good football teams for 80 years. No reason to think that is all the sudden going to stop.

The Cats
November 14th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Chatty has clinched the autobid and there's no way any other SoCon team can get to 7 D-I wins. Is that correct? I think several, like WCU, can get to six if they beat Alabama, but not seven.

All that means nothing to the Mercer folks.....

They are expecting an at large bid. I'm sure their expected win over the NAIA's Royals of Warner University this weekend will push them over the top. xcrazyx

TypicalTribe
November 14th, 2014, 09:42 AM
There is no guarantee that the SoCon goes back to being a regular multi-bid league. CAA basketball is a great example of what can happen when the best programs leave a conference. With ODU, VCU and George Mason leaving, the CAA lost its core, including two teams that had recently made Final Four runs. The conference went from being a consistent multi-bid league that got decent seeds to be a one-bid league usually earmarked for the #15-16 seed line. Looking at the programs that remain and their historical success, it's not likely that will change in the near future.

OL FU
November 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
There is no guarantee that the SoCon goes back to being a regular multi-bid league. CAA basketball is a great example of what can happen when the best programs leave a conference. With ODU, VCU and George Mason leaving, the CAA lost its core, including two teams that had recently made Final Four runs. The conference went from being a consistent multi-bid league that got decent seeds to be a one-bid league usually earmarked for the #15-16 seed line. Looking at the programs that remain and their historical success, it's not likely that will change in the near future.

There is no guaranty I will wake up in the morning. But I as I said if it continues, I will worry. Right now I am not. We will see what happens with Furman, After last year most thought we were back. Obviously that isn't the case, but historically (and it is a 30 year history), Furman is one of the top ten programs in the division so there is no reason historically to think we can't right the ship. There is no reason to think Wofford won't be very competitive for a long time. And with the emergence of Chattanooga, continued improvement by WCU, and Samford basically just needing to improve consistency and Mercer making all the right steps as a new program, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the SoCon will be limited to one bid in the future.

Catamount87
November 14th, 2014, 10:35 AM
There is no guaranty I will wake up in the morning. But I as I said if it continues, I will worry. Right now I am not. We will see what happens with Furman, After last year most thought we were back. Obviously that isn't the case, but historically (and it is a 30 year history), Furman is one of the top ten programs in the division so there is no reason historically to think we can't right the ship. There is no reason to think Wofford won't be very competitive for a long time. And with the emergence of Chattanooga, continued improvement by WCU, and Samford basically just needing to improve consistency and Mercer making all the right steps as a new program, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the SoCon will be limited to one bid in the future.

It is definitely shaping up to make 2015 an interesting year. I don't doubt that 2015 would see the SoCon back to being a multiple bid conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Conferences thrive on routine, and both the SoCon and Patriot League have seen their routines jarred for different reasons (PL scholarships, SoCon departure of App and GSU). As both conferences fall into a good routine again over the next 3-4 years, things will change for the better, I think.

That, of course, and the establishment of the"LFN PL/SoCon Challenge" in mid-September.

VMI@Georgetown
Citadel@Lafayette
Wofford@Lehigh
Holy Cross@Furman
Mercer@Fordham
Colgate@Chatty
Bucknell@WCU

Samford@Vanderbilt

catamount man
November 14th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Conferences thrive on routine, and both the SoCon and Patriot League have seen their routines jarred for different reasons (PL scholarships, SoCon departure of App and GSU). As both conferences fall into a good routine again over the next 3-4 years, things will change for the better, I think.

That, of course, and the establishment of the"LFN PL/SoCon Challenge" in mid-September.

VMI@Georgetown
Citadel@Lafayette
Wofford@Lehigh
Holy Cross@Furman
Mercer@Fordham
Colgate@Chatty
Bucknell@WCU

Samford@Vanderbilt

I would like to see Bucknell come to Cullowhee. I also would like more home and homes vs Southland Conference teams, except during Hurricane Season a la Nicholls State cancellation 2005. GO CATS!

Apphole
November 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Dude. You couldn't manage to beat JSU and a weak CMU team.

You've managed to win all your games in one of the weakest SoCon years of all time. Wofford and Furman are having down years, App and GaSo are gone. For heavens sake Western Carolina only has one conference loss.

There is nothing on your resume that would compel an objective mind to think that UTC was a deep playoff team, let alone a shoe-in for a NC.

Mr. C
November 14th, 2014, 05:40 PM
When the SoCon was dominating with national championship wins, it was in part because of the competition level in the league. Teams like Appalachian State, Marshall and Georgia Southern had to survive a tough schedule to get to the playoffs. Chattanooga had not won an important game in about 20 years before beating Western Carolina and Wofford in back-to-back weeks. There is little on UTC's resume to suggest much of a playoff run from a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since the 1980s. The Mocs might win a first-round game, but that is about it.

Mr. C
November 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Here is hoping you do wake up in the morning. And maybe, your Paladins will break that losing streak before the season ends.

smallcollegefbfan
November 14th, 2014, 11:24 PM

Did not say they never would. Just mean this year I don't see it. UTC was not tested in a tough league so they won't be able to pass the test weekly and win the big one this year. The talent is there and they will certainly be a top team. I would not call yourself an awoken giant. You have the most potential of any team left in the SoCon (the rest of the league is small private schools) so you should win the league with the giants now gone.

Like another poster said, others in the league will rise and I expect Mercer, Furman, Samford, and Wofford to be those teams to make the playoffs along with UTC. I will say that I expect UTC in the playoffs every year now. There is no excuse not to.

You are just a hair away from being a top 5 team. I think you make it to the second round and before you get on me you should know I don't count the first round in that. I consider the first round the play in round and the field of 16 the first round of the real playoffs. I think you win that game and then lose in the round of 8.

The only game left on your schedule that I thought MAY trip you up in the preseason is Furman on the road and now that looks like a sure win. You win the next two games and you should be a seed. I think you would beat JSU if you got a rematch with them but I believe there are 7 or 8 teams out there who can beat you in the playoffs.

smallcollegefbfan
November 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM

I'm with you. The SoCon will get two bids in 2015, IMO.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I've noted this before, but with the glut of programs playing D1 football from 10-15 years ago, recruiting will suffer across the board. You are adding more competition for players without enlarging the pool of talent.

However, though one may say talent is going to App State and Georgia Southern, I watched them play last year. If they had more talent, it wasn't noticeable. App was soundly beaten pretty much weekly, and GSU was a .500 team.

Everyone knew this was going to be a transition year for the Conference. You take the two biggest programs out of any conference, and the overall product will suffer. Still, the SoCon has been pumping out good football teams for 80 years. No reason to think that is all the sudden going to stop.

I called this two years ago. Increased FBS scholarships will hurt surrounding FCS programs, one reason I was for the move. App redshirted their first FBS class and has started to turn the corner, not back yet. App and GS are now filling 50% their recruiting classes with guys we had to fight tooth and nail from FBS schools before the season ends and then grabbing borderline FBS/FCS guys to round our their classes in late January.

Furman can't stay this bad for long and WC will go back to being a top ten program every third year. The wildcard is Mercer. They are another new entrant (as well as ETSU) that SE FCS programs will have to fight against in recruiting. All these new scholarships in a concentrated area are having an impact, especially on teams caught in the middle (top half of the SoCon). Congrats to WCU and Speir an a good year, should be better next year.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I called this two years ago. Increased FBS scholarships will hurt surrounding FCS programs, one reason I was for the move. App redshirted their first FBS class and has started to turn the corner, not back yet. App and GS are now filling 50% their recruiting classes with guys we had to fight tooth and nail from FBS schools before the season ends and then grabbing borderline FBS/FCS guys to round our their classes in late January.

Furman can't stay this bad for long and WC will go back to being a top ten program every third year. The wildcard is Mercer. They are another new entrant (as well as ETSU) that SE FCS programs will have to fight against in recruiting. All these new scholarships in a concentrated area are having an impact, especially on teams caught in the middle (top half of the SoCon). Congrats to WCU and Speir an a good year, should be better next year.

The increase in FBS programs in the southeast between Ga Southern, App, Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte, etc. will deplete the talent in the SoCon and other FCS leagues for sure. I think the SoCon will see some teams rise but I still think it will just be a 2 bid league mostly and not a 3 or 4 bid league, like it would have been if there were 24 teams back in the 90s or early 2000s. MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky are going to look a little better because their talent pool will not be dug into very much at all while many players that the Big South and SoCon typically would get are now going to be lower end for many of these programs who have popped up in FBS over the last 5 years. You have seen a good 4-6 programs pop up down in the south while UMASS is really the only one to move up in the north and nobody in the midwest or west coast has lately.

One thing I'll say is that you have won your last 3 games but I would not say the ship is in the right direction yet. Let's see what you do today and the rest of the year. Georgia State and Troy are FCS caliber programs. ULM was a decent win but you still tried to give it away with the stupid kickoffs out of bounds at the end to give ULM field position for a legit shot at the win. I would not quite credit your coaches for the improvement as much as just the players growing up. The team is so young from last year and there are so many freshmen and sophomores playing that you HAVE to improve somewhat towards the end of this year and next year. Satterfield was struggling as a coach last year but I will admit that if he wins 7 or 8 games next year, then he will have greatly matured as a coach and gone from someone who was not ready for the job to someone who is ready. Looking at your schedule next year there is no excuse, outside of a ton of injuries, to win less than 7 games.

Georgia Southern was only bad last year due to injuries. They are showing that they had the talent. Hopefully App does live up to the expectations and produces 7-8 wins next year. The Sun Belt is a better league if App and Ga Southern are winning programs.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Dude. You couldn't manage to beat JSU and a weak CMU team.

You've managed to win all your games in one of the weakest SoCon years of all time. Wofford and Furman are having down years, App and GaSo are gone. For heavens sake Western Carolina only has one conference loss.

There is nothing on your resume that would compel an objective mind to think that UTC was a deep playoff team, let alone a shoe-in for a NC.

Jacksonville state is ranked 3rd in the nation and CMU is like 4-2 in the MAC and probably a bowl team. Stfu

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 10:51 AM
When the SoCon was dominating with national championship wins, it was in part because of the competition level in the league. Teams like Appalachian State, Marshall and Georgia Southern had to survive a tough schedule to get to the playoffs. Chattanooga had not won an important game in about 20 years before beating Western Carolina and Wofford in back-to-back weeks. There is little on UTC's resume to suggest much of a playoff run from a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since the 1980s. The Mocs might win a first-round game, but that is about it.

The Mocs are ranked 9th in the nation. They have tennessee tech and furman. They won't be in a first round game. Stfu

OL FU
November 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
One of the points that people seem to miss in saying the SoCon will remain a one bid league really has little to do with whether the SoCon is as good as it was in the past. It will certainly have to do with scheduling where too many lower division schools are scheduled in a single year. But numbers make it difficult to miss year in and year out. Approximately numbers. There are 120-125 FCS Teams. The Ivies don't participate in the playoffs. The SWAC effectively doesn't participate. Historically, if there is going to be a one bid league it will be the PFL and quite possibly the NEC (although that seems less likely). So if you take many of those teams out there is about 75 teams for 13 at large bids from 9 conferences. I doubt seriously the SoCon is going to miss one of those at large bids every year.

Now the two things that can mess with that are the large conferences where all the teams don't play each other so many times it is difficult to separate everyone and the conference can get 5 teams in (sometimes justifiably). The other thing that could hurt the SoCon is continuing to lose to the Big Southxembarrassedx.

To the other point, there is little doubt that at least in the Southeast the proliferation of football playing schools has depleted the talent pool. But that is just the way it is. You have to compete in the environment in which you exist.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Did not say they never would. Just mean this year I don't see it. UTC was not tested in a tough league so they won't be able to pass the test weekly and win the big one this year. The talent is there and they will certainly be a top team. I would not call yourself an awoken giant. You have the most potential of any team left in the SoCon (the rest of the league is small private schools) so you should win the league with the giants now gone.

Like another poster said, others in the league will rise and I expect Mercer, Furman, Samford, and Wofford to be those teams to make the playoffs along with UTC. I will say that I expect UTC in the playoffs every year now. There is no excuse not to.

You are just a hair away from being a top 5 team. I think you make it to the second round and before you get on me you should know I don't count the first round in that. I consider the first round the play in round and the field of 16 the first round of the real playoffs. I think you win that game and then lose in the round of 8.

The only game left on your schedule that I thought MAY trip you up in the preseason is Furman on the road and now that looks like a sure win. You win the next two games and you should be a seed. I think you would beat JSU if you got a rematch with them but I believe there are 7 or 8 teams out there who can beat you in the playoffs.

You don't even we know who we are gonna play. I'd like to play jacksonville state just for redemption but they are one of the hardest teams to beat. You need to watch some more film.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Chattanooga beat georgia southern and app state for multiple players this last class. We outrecruited much of the sun belt and will continue to do so.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Jacksonville state is ranked 3rd in the nation and CMU is like 4-2 in the MAC and probably a bowl team. Stfu

No need to get mad and tell him to stfu but you are right. CMU is better than people thought. I do think you would beat JSU if you saw them again, simply due to the fact it's tough to beat a team twice and you took them to overtime before.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 11:05 AM
No need to get mad and tell him to stfu but you are right. CMU is better than people thought. I do think you would beat JSU if you saw them again, simply due to the fact it's tough to beat a team twice and you took them to overtime before.

They aren't any better than I thought. They returned the most starters in FBS.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Chattanooga beat georgia southern and app state for multiple players this last class. We outrecruited much of the sun belt and will continue to do so.

Curious which players those two schools wanted that you beat them out for? I ask because I went to Rivals and don't see anyone with offers from GSU or ASU that you had commits from, among those rated. Just curious where you saw that. Both of those schools beat out some BCS schools, mind you lower end BCS schools, for some players as well. It's always going to happen. I remember one player UTC got over App named Beard who went to UTC because they let him play the position he wanted and he never panned out. I know Georgia Southern got a WR who had some FBS offers a few years ago, before they moved up, and he never panned out. He transferred to D2. Just because you got a guy doesn't mean you outrecruited him or that he will pan out. Sometimes Georgia may back off a kid they offered as a junior and on paper it looks like Ga Southern or UTC beat them but in reality they didn't really want the kid. That happens A LOT in recruiting. Schools offer you as a sophomore or junior and then see they made a mistake as a senior so they back off and take the offer away.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
They aren't any better than I thought. They returned the most starters in FBS.

The preseason magazines didn't think a ton of them. They were a team picked to be better but certainly have been a little better than most expected. In my job duties I do not have any MAC schools so I don't break them down and know too much about them. All I know about the MAC is that CMU has a RB, DT, and WR who will get drafted, Miami Ohio has a top 100 pick at CB, and Ball State has a RB who will likely get drafted. Outside of that I know nothing about the MAC and don't follow them. The only reason I know that much is because I hear scouts talk and I did skim the league in the preseason to see names because I help with our preseason lists for the NFL people I deal with.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM
One good thing for the SoCon this year is that I expect to see 2 draft picks, which is down from normal years but still there is some talent.

I told you guys Derrick Lott was pretty good. He has a Shrine and NFLPA Bowl invite. Right now he is a PFA but if he tests well he could get drafted.

Tull is sitting in the 4th-6th round range, depending on team and scheme, while Tartt at Samford is in the 4th-5th round on most boards.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Curious which players those two schools wanted that you beat them out for? I ask because I went to Rivals and don't see anyone with offers from GSU or ASU that you had commits from, among those rated. Just curious where you saw that. Both of those schools beat out some BCS schools, mind you lower end BCS schools, for some players as well. It's always going to happen. I remember one player UTC got over App named Beard who went to UTC because they let him play the position he wanted and he never panned out. I know Georgia Southern got a WR who had some FBS offers a few years ago, before they moved up, and he never panned out. He transferred to D2. Just because you got a guy doesn't mean you outrecruited him or that he will pan out. Sometimes Georgia may back off a kid they offered as a junior and on paper it looks like Ga Southern or UTC beat them but in reality they didn't really want the kid. That happens A LOT in recruiting. Schools offer you as a sophomore or junior and then see they made a mistake as a senior so they back off and take the offer away.

Penny smith actually flipped from app state. Rivals is a joke, particularly at this level. Try 247

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 11:14 AM
The preseason magazines didn't think a ton of them. They were a team picked to be better but certainly have been a little better than most expected. In my job duties I do not have any MAC schools so I don't break them down and know too much about them. All I know about the MAC is that CMU has a RB, DT, and WR who will get drafted, Miami Ohio has a top 100 pick at CB, and Ball State has a RB who will likely get drafted. Outside of that I know nothing about the MAC and don't follow them. The only reason I know that much is because I hear scouts talk and I did skim the league in the preseason to see names because I help with our preseason lists for the NFL people I deal with.

Well they aren't weren't that terrible ladt year and they really aren't that good this year. So I don't think the modest improvement they have shown should surprise anyone considering they returned 20+ starters.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Penny smith actually flipped from app state. Rivals is a joke, particularly at this level. Try 247

I agree there. 247 is better. I only checked Rivals because I knew I could pull up the offer lists quicker. That's one player so I would not say you outrecruited them and I looked at Smith. What is he at UTC? His passing skills are not very good and so I thought he would have to change positions or would take 2-3 years before he could even touch the field at QB. I go through and have to ask around when players flip sometimes and the rumor on Smith was that App told him he would have to sit a while and UTC promised playing time early. Smith is more of a SoCon recruit. One place where you have outrecruited App for sure is on the OL, or at least in your seniors and juniors. Supposedly they have some really good young ones like Tobias Edge-Campbell, Colby Gossett, Madison Malone, Owen Painter, and Parker Collins but they are all so young so we will have to see.

I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the recruiting websites though. All of their rankings are awful. Remember the year you guys had so many 2 and 3 star guys that Rivals named you the top class in FCS? I think when I went back and looked at how the group did, all but maybe 1 of the rated guys was a complete bust. Still to this day, the top FCS guys usually end up being the ones without stars.

I'll bet you money that of those with no stars by 247, at least 1 or 2 of them will be among your top 5 players in the 2014 class. Even with the advances the websites have made they don't give FCS recruits the looks they should. One of those "3 star" guys you signed with be a complete bust and an unrated guy will be 2-3 time All-SoCon and get a shot in the NFL. Happens every year.

UCA DE Jonathan Woodard had no rating at all, while they had a few in his class who did, and he is BY FAR their best recruit from his class. He's probably the best in the SLC from his class, yet he wasn't considered top 20 even for the league.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Well they aren't weren't that terrible ladt year and they really aren't that good this year. So I don't think the modest improvement they have shown should surprise anyone considering they returned 20+ starters.

Nope it should not. Again though, most people don't put a lot of focus on the MAC. An 8 win team in that league wouldn't win 4 games in the SEC or ACC. You pretty much have to go undefeated to be considered any good. MVFC teams beat MAC schools out for recruits all the time.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Josh, Ark St. is likely the best team App has faced in the last two years (maybe GS this year) so I certainly don't expect a win on the road. You obviously have watched the games so you can see how much better our Oline is the last three games, two redshirt freshman start now on the right side.

Penny Smith did flip to UTC after App got a commitment from a three star QB, Penny was a low two star. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Josh, Ark St. is likely the best team App has faced in the last two years (maybe GS this year) so I certainly don't expect a win on the road. You obviously have watched the games so you can see how much better our Oline is the last three games, two redshirt freshman start now on the right side.

Penny Smith did flip to UTC after App got a commitment from a three star QB, Penny was a low two star. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Penny was much higher rated according to 247. Caruso was much higher rated according to rivals. Smith is a WR redshirting so rivals was probably right as a qb at least. Not that it matters. It shows once again how unreliable recruiting rankings are. At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all. Nobody in the socon or sun belt are getting elite 4 and 5 star talents. Its going to come down to talent evaluation and how players fit systems. Obviously georgia southern was recruiting better players and better fits for their system before they ever got a sun belt invite and were still in the socon.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I agree there. 247 is better. I only checked Rivals because I knew I could pull up the offer lists quicker. That's one player so I would not say you outrecruited them and I looked at Smith. What is he at UTC? His passing skills are not very good and so I thought he would have to change positions or would take 2-3 years before he could even touch the field at QB. I go through and have to ask around when players flip sometimes and the rumor on Smith was that App told him he would have to sit a while and UTC promised playing time early. Smith is more of a SoCon recruit. One place where you have outrecruited App for sure is on the OL, or at least in your seniors and juniors. Supposedly they have some really good young ones like Tobias Edge-Campbell, Colby Gossett, Madison Malone, Owen Painter, and Parker Collins but they are all so young so we will have to see.

I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the recruiting websites though. All of their rankings are awful. Remember the year you guys had so many 2 and 3 star guys that Rivals named you the top class in FCS? I think when I went back and looked at how the group did, all but maybe 1 of the rated guys was a complete bust. Still to this day, the top FCS guys usually end up being the ones without stars.

I'll bet you money that of those with no stars by 247, at least 1 or 2 of them will be among your top 5 players in the 2014 class. Even with the advances the websites have made they don't give FCS recruits the looks they should. One of those "3 star" guys you signed with be a complete bust and an unrated guy will be 2-3 time All-SoCon and get a shot in the NFL. Happens every year.

UCA DE Jonathan Woodard had no rating at all, while they had a few in his class who did, and he is BY FAR their best recruit from his class. He's probably the best in the SLC from his class, yet he wasn't considered top 20 even for the league.

Ill bet money that some of these players are rated higher simply because fbs teams are recruiting them. As far as penny smith goes, I have no idea at what position chattanooga would promise him early playing time, why they would promise early playing time, or if they ever promise early playing time. Chattanooga usually redshirts all but 1 or 2 players. This year they are playing 5-7 maybe. Smith isn't one of them.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
At the end of the day JP was higher on Apps board and got our guy. Sounds like both parties are happy with their situation, let me know when UTC beats us out for another player.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM
At the end of the day JP was higher on Apps board and got our guy. Sounds like both parties are happy with their situation, let me know when UTC beats us out for another player.

Are you apps coaching staff or are you just drinking the kool aid. Penny smith wasn't the best player we signed, or the highest rated, or the most recruited. If app is such a recruiting juggernaut maybe they should recruit against chattanooga on the defensive side of the ball more because we have consistently had better players than you there for several years. This year is no exception fbs or not.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2014, 01:44 PM
You're always good for a laugh.

citdog
November 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM
You're always good for a laugh.

not as good for a laugh as the appy st football program is. y'all are hilarious!

LIBERTY!!!!!

CID1990
November 16th, 2014, 03:24 PM
not as good for a laugh as the appy st football program is. y'all are hilarious!

LIBERTY!!!!!

i was going to say that real FBS teams should at least be able to beat their Big South paid sacrificial lambs

wonder if they cut a check?

Mr. C
November 16th, 2014, 06:07 PM
The Mocs are ranked 9th in the nation. They have tennessee tech and furman. They won't be in a first round game. Stfu
So you know where the committee has UTC ranked at? Share with us? From what I have seen of the Mocs this season, I wouldn't rank them close to the top-10 and I would have them playing a first-round game. Just one person's opinion, who has been following FCS/I-AA for a mighty long time.

So when you can't beat someone's argument, you use profanity? Stay as classy as you've always been.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2014, 06:36 PM
The increase in FBS programs in the southeast between Ga Southern, App, Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte, etc. will deplete the talent in the SoCon and other FCS leagues for sure. I think the SoCon will see some teams rise but I still think it will just be a 2 bid league mostly and not a 3 or 4 bid league, like it would have been if there were 24 teams back in the 90s or early 2000s. MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky are going to look a little better because their talent pool will not be dug into very much at all while many players that the Big South and SoCon typically would get are now going to be lower end for many of these programs who have popped up in FBS over the last 5 years. You have seen a good 4-6 programs pop up down in the south while UMASS is really the only one to move up in the north and nobody in the midwest or west coast has lately.

One thing I'll say is that you have won your last 3 games but I would not say the ship is in the right direction yet. Let's see what you do today and the rest of the year. Georgia State and Troy are FCS caliber programs. ULM was a decent win but you still tried to give it away with the stupid kickoffs out of bounds at the end to give ULM field position for a legit shot at the win. I would not quite credit your coaches for the improvement as much as just the players growing up. The team is so young from last year and there are so many freshmen and sophomores playing that you HAVE to improve somewhat towards the end of this year and next year. Satterfield was struggling as a coach last year but I will admit that if he wins 7 or 8 games next year, then he will have greatly matured as a coach and gone from someone who was not ready for the job to someone who is ready. Looking at your schedule next year there is no excuse, outside of a ton of injuries, to win less than 7 games.

Georgia Southern was only bad last year due to injuries. They are showing that they had the talent. Hopefully App does live up to the expectations and produces 7-8 wins next year. The Sun Belt is a better league if App and Ga Southern are winning programs.

After covering a lot of Sun Belt football this season, I have to say that it isn't a very good league, period. The fact that Georgia Southern and Appalachian State have won as many games in league as they have in an FBS transition year is one proof of that. I've seen mediocre offenses, poor quarterbacks, bad line play and defenses that cannot stop running games. There are some bigger players across the board on some of these schools, but that is about all. If you reduced scholarships limits to 63 at schools like Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, etc., it would be hard to tell a difference between them and the FCS programs I've covered regularly for 20-plus years.

Here are some breakdowns, the Sun Belt is just 3-12 out of conference against non-Big 5 conferences in FBS and is 1-15 against the big boys (ULM over Wake Forest being the only major win). The Sun Belt is 7-2 against FCS teams (mostly playing very bad ones) and could have been 6-3 if Georgia State hadn't made a game-winning FG as time expired against an FCS start-up (Abilene Christian). Abilene Christian did beat Troy. Liberty beat App State in overtime for that other FCS loss. Without Georgia Southern and App State on board, things would look even worse for the Sun Belt.

smallcollegefbfan
November 16th, 2014, 08:04 PM
After covering a lot of Sun Belt football this season, I have to say that it isn't a very good league, period. The fact that Georgia Southern and Appalachian State have won as many games in league as they have in an FBS transition year is one proof of that. I've seen mediocre offenses, poor quarterbacks, bad line play and defenses that cannot stop running games. There are some bigger players across the board on some of these schools, but that is about all. If you reduced scholarships limits to 63 at schools like Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, etc., it would be hard to tell a difference between them and the FCS programs I've covered regularly for 20-plus years.

Here are some breakdowns, the Sun Belt is just 3-12 out of conference against non-Big 5 conferences in FBS and is 1-15 against the big boys (ULM over Wake Forest being the only major win). The Sun Belt is 7-2 against FCS teams (mostly playing very bad ones) and could have been 6-3 if Georgia State hadn't made a game-winning FG as time expired against an FCS start-up (Abilene Christian). Abilene Christian did beat Troy. Liberty beat App State in overtime for that other FCS loss. Without Georgia Southern and App State on board, things would look even worse for the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt is definitely awful. App loses to the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Big South and yet has what 4 Sun Belt wins? The Sun Belt champ would probably be in the 8-15 range in the FCS polls. The league is definitely down. There are some good individual players but you have teams like Troy, App, Georgia State, etc who aren't top 25 FCS caliber right now. I'm sure that will improve though. App and Ga Southern will definitely get better. At least for App they are appearing to be getting better. Their defense is playing a little better and some of those highly touted recruits are starting to pay off.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 08:36 PM
So you know where the committee has UTC ranked at? Share with us? From what I have seen of the Mocs this season, I wouldn't rank them close to the top-10 and I would have them playing a first-round game. Just one person's opinion, who has been following FCS/I-AA for a mighty long time.

So when you can't beat someone's argument, you use profanity? Stay as classy as you've always been.

You wouldn't have them ranked anywhere the top 10 for a long time because..........you've been an idiotic app homer for a long time?

smallcollegefbfan
November 16th, 2014, 09:02 PM
You wouldn't have them ranked anywhere the top 10 for a long time because..........you've been an idiotic app homer for a long time?

I have UTC at 11 in my vote for TSN this week. I almost put them in the top 10 but the SoCon is so down that I couldn't justify it. I have them just behind UNI (they beat NDSU), Illinois State, SLU, Fordham, and so on. I almost put UTC ahead of Fordham. If UTC had beaten JSU I would have them around 4-7.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I think we know who the village idiot is around here ...

Appalachian State has NOTHING to do with UTC and the SoCon this year (in case you hadn't noticed).

centennial
November 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM
The Sun Belt is definitely awful. App loses to the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Big South and yet has what 4 Sun Belt wins? The Sun Belt champ would probably be in the 8-15 range in the FCS polls. The league is definitely down. There are some good individual players but you have teams like Troy, App, Georgia State, etc who aren't top 25 FCS caliber right now. I'm sure that will improve though. App and Ga Southern will definitely get better. At least for App they are appearing to be getting better. Their defense is playing a little better and some of those highly touted recruits are starting to pay off.
If you looked at the Sun Belt board you wouldn't think so. They think they are the best of Go5. I would rate them as the 3rd FCS league at best, probably 5-7th if they had to play by the same rules about scholarships.