PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth NEC Champs

rmutv
November 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
The Northeast Conference is wrapped up and the Monmouth Hawks are the champions. The Hawks beat the Albany Great Danes 19-0 today in Albany to win the NEC. They finish 6-1 in the NEC, 10-1 overall.

Here's how the NEC shakes out, with Wagner and St. Francis in the midst of a blowout in favor of St. Francis.

1. Monmouth (10-1, 6-1)
2. Albany (7-4, 5-2)
Robert MOrris (7-4, 5-2)
Stony Brook (5-6, 5-2)
5. Central Connecticut State (4-3, 7-4)
6. St. Francis of PA (3-8, 2-5)
7. Sacred Heart (2-9, 1-6)
8. Wagner (4-7, 0-7)

This is the last season for Stony Brook in the NEC. They will become a I-AA independent. Congratulations to them for an interesting season and good luck to the Seawolves beyond the NEC.

Monmouth sits and waits now...do they get into the I-AA playoffs with 10 D-1 wins including victories over Fordham and Colgate? Or do they settle for a Gridiron Classic appearance?

If the Hawks do go to the I-AA playoffs, then the 2nd place team in the NEC would earn the bid to the Classic. Stony Brook would get the bid out of a tiebreaker because they are the only team to beat Monmouth this season.

November 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Go Hawks! Take the GC!!!

UMass922
November 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Congrats to Monmouth! I was rooting for Albany (one of my schools--technically I'm still a grad student there), but Monmouth is a very impressive NEC champion. I'll be pulling for them in the Gridiron Classic against San Diego.

Tod
November 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Go Hawks! Take the GC!!!

Well, I guess there's Ralph's answer. :) :) xlolx

I don't know if they have a shot at the playoffs or not. If Cal Poly loses, they're done. If Montana beats MSU next week, the 'Cats finish 7-4. Not to mention the other possibilities out there.

Good luck to Monmouth, regardless. :nod: :nod: :nod:

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
So now that the NEC conference championship has been decided does Monmouth deserve a national ranking and/or an at-large bid? Here is this season's results:

9/2/2006 at Fordham W 23-9
9/9/2006 Morgan State W 26-9
9/16/2006 St. Peter's W 36-12
9/23/2006 at Colgate W 17-12
9/30/2006 Stony Brook L 17-36
10/7/2006 Sacred Heart W 24-0
10/14/2006 at Wagner W 28-7
10/21/2006 at Robert Morris W 16-7
10/28/2006 Central Conn. St. W 19-13
11/4/2006 St. Francis (PA) W 54-20
11/11/2006 at Albany W 19-0

With all of this talk of San Diego getting an at-large bid Monmouth has been overlook a bit. 10-1 with all 10 wins over Div. IAA and with wins over OOC opponents Fordham (Patriot), Morgan State (MEAC), Colgate (Patriot), and St. Peter's (MAAC).

Coming into today Monmouth had a GPI of 46 and was in the "receiving votes" category of both the AGS and Sport's Network polls.

The Stony Brook loss hurts, but does that keep them out of the playoffs? I would never consider Monmouth playoff worthy in past years....but has San Diego changed the standards? xcoffeex And is San Diego's resume stronger than Monmouth's?:nono: :nono:

rmutv
November 11th, 2006, 02:46 PM
If San Diego deserves a bid, then Monmouth should be a lock, even with the one loss to Stony Brook.

I think both don't make it and we have San Diego coming to West Long Branch, NJ on December 2nd for the Gridiron Classic.

youwouldno
November 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Not a chance. At least USD blew out Yale, so they played 1 legit game. Monmouth played at Colgate, but Colgate and the Patriot are way down this year so that's not a great win.

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Not a chance. At least USD blew out Yale, so they played 1 legit game. Monmouth played at Colgate, but Colgate and the Patriot are way down this year so that's not a great win.

Is one game enough to offset the rest of their cake schedule? And does that still hold as much water now that Yale lost?

UMass922
November 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM
So now that the NEC conference championship has been decided does Monmouth deserve a national ranking and/or an at-large bid? Here is this season's results:

9/2/2006 at Fordham W 23-9
9/9/2006 Morgan State W 26-9
9/16/2006 St. Peter's W 36-12
9/23/2006 at Colgate W 17-12
9/30/2006 Stony Brook L 17-36
10/7/2006 Sacred Heart W 24-0
10/14/2006 at Wagner W 28-7
10/21/2006 at Robert Morris W 16-7
10/28/2006 Central Conn. St. W 19-13
11/4/2006 St. Francis (PA) W 54-20
11/11/2006 at Albany W 19-0

With all of this talk of San Diego getting an at-large bid Monmouth has been overlook a bit. 10-1 with all 10 wins over Div. IAA and with wins over OOC opponents Fordham (Patriot), Morgan State (MEAC), Colgate (Patriot), and St. Peter's (MAAC).

Coming into today Monmouth had a GPI of 46 and was in the "receiving votes" category of both the AGS and Sport's Network polls.

The Stony Brook loss hurts, but does that keep them out of the playoffs? I would never consider Monmouth playoff worthy in past years....but has San Diego changed the standards? xcoffeex And is San Diego's resume stronger than Monmouth's?:nono: :nono:

Monmouth has the stronger resume, no doubt. Three wins over AQ-conference opponents (compared to zero for USD), in-conference wins over two teams that have sniffed the top 25 this year (Albany and CCSU--much better teams than anyone the Pioneer could throw at USD), ten D-I wins (compared to eight for USD) . . . USD has an impressive win over Yale, but Monmouth has the better overall body of work; the Hawks have offered more evidence that they're a playoff-worthy team.

That said, I doubt they get in over teams like EIU and Coastal Carolina. Should be a great Gridiron Classic, though--Monmouth vs. San Diego is the matchup I think a lot of us wanted to see.

DukesR4Real
November 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
If San Diego deserves a bid, then Monmouth should be a lock, even with the one loss to Stony Brook.

I think both don't make it and we have San Diego coming to West Long Branch, NJ on December 2nd for the Gridiron Classic.

Looks like you are an idiot on this board as well. USD has zero losses and a win over an ivy. Monmouth has 1 loss and a win over MAAC doormat St. Pete's. I thought you were only an RMU homer but it looks as if you suck the entire NEC

monmouthhawk
November 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I don't care if we play San Diego or Montana or whatever! One more game for the seniors and a very happy MU fan!

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Looks like you are an idiot on this board as well. USD has zero losses and a win over an ivy. Monmouth has 1 loss and a win over MAAC doormat St. Pete's. I thought you were only an RMU homer but it looks as if you suck the entire NEC

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Dukes go back to Donhansen. we like to have logical conversations here.

How can you even begin to knock Monmouth's win over St. Peters and praise USD for winning their cake schedule (Yale win excluded).

DukesR4Real
November 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Congrats Monmouth Hawk to you as a fan and to all of your players. I know the ECAC bowl didnt mean much to a lot of people but I know to me as a player it kept the season going one more week and that was enough for us. I know I joked about how the NEC compared themselves to the SEC but as you saw this season it was impossible to come out of your conference without a loss. Tough conference and congrats again

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Dukes go back to Donhansen. we like to have logical conversations here.

How can you even begin to knock Monmouth's win over St. Peters and praise USD for winning their cake schedule (Yale win excluded).

Dont excluded the Yale victory, cause with another Loss today by them that win looks worse and worse, like everyone said. They are a middle of the pack Ivy league team. SO apples for apples I dont know who has the worst schedule. my feeling is if. USD gets in why not Monmouth. Both really havent played anyone worth a penny Yale included

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Dont excluded the Yale victory, cause with another Loss today by them that win looks worse and worse, like everyone said. They are a middle of the pack Ivy league team. SO apples for apples I dont know who has the worst schedule. my feeling is if. USD gets in why not Monmouth. Both really havent played anyone worth a penny Yale included

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
I agree with you 100% Stang. Like I said in the other thread...I don't think either should get in....but for some here its a foregone conclusion that USD will get in if they win tonight. I for one think they'll be playing on the 2nd at Monmouth...but I don't count.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Congratulations to Monmouth!

rmutv
November 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Couple things...
First, Yale is a good team, but nothing more. They lost to Princeton today and still have their classic game against Harvard next weekend. Harvard is tied with them in the Ivy standings right now. With another loss, San Diego's win over Yale will look less impressive.

Second, you're back to your old habits of taking one game out of a season and using that as a barometer of the entire season. San Diego's schedule is much weaker than Monmouth's. Monmouth played only D-I teams, San Diego had two non-D1 teams on their schedule.

Yes, the Hawks have a loss and the Toreros are undefeated. Good for San Diego, they're on a heck of a streak.

Third, the point all season long has been that for an a non-scholly or limited scholly team to get into the I-AA playoffs, they absolutely must have a strong out of conference schedule. My point, and many others on here agree with me...is if San Diego is getting talk with their schedule, then Monmouth needs to be in the same discussion.

Personally, neither one gets in and we have San Diego coming to Monmouth on December 2nd. But if one is going to be discussed, then they both should be.

Finally, on a personal note...your obsession with me is becoming kind of funny. Every post lately has either been directed towards me or has included a reference to me. Weird. xidiotx

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'd rather see Monmouth before San Diego.

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have to tell you that I didn't think Monmouth was worth anything until seeing them play today. The QB, Boland, is very very good. Monmouth v. San Diego will be a great game. Two great QBs in a battle.

rmutv
November 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I have to tell you that I didn't think Monmouth was worth anything until seeing them play today. The QB, Boland, is very very good. Monmouth v. San Diego will be a great game. Two great QBs in a battle.

I was on the Albany bandwagon for this game because of how thoroughly they dominated Bobby Mo...Monmouth beat us too, but it was closer against the Hawks.

I think the NEC is going to surprise some people the next few years. :hurray:

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I was on the Albany bandwagon for this game because of how thoroughly they dominated Bobby Mo...Monmouth beat us too, but it was closer against the Hawks.

I think the NEC is going to surprise some people the next few years. :hurray:

Albany needs to find an offense this off-season. A lot of returning players but can Ford devlop a QB? Thats the question.

If Albany had an offense they would have been 11-0 this year. Would've, should've, could've.....didn't! :mad:

Congrats to Monmouth and good luck against USD in the GIC!

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Time to vote Monmouth in the playoffs. 10-1 should always get you in right???? even 10-0 should get you in

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I think with so many boarderline teams Monmouth or San Deigo deserves a shot in the playoffs. One will never know how these teams stack up unless you let 'em play. Might as well end the prognosticating and play it on the field.

danefan
November 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Time to vote Monmouth in the playoffs. 10-1 should always get you in right???? even 10-0 should get you in

According to the USD bandwagon it should.
I don't think so though.
If 10-0 with USD's schedule gets you in...then 10-1 with Monmouth's schedule should too.

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM
My point exactly. Both teams should be in then. Cause both have similar strength of schedules.

November 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Time to vote Monmouth in the playoffs. 10-1 should always get you in right???? even 10-0 should get you inNeither "always get you in" though.

monmouthhawk
November 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I don't necessarily think Monmouth should get into the I-AA playoffs, but I know most MU fans are glad they are playing one more game at least. Hell, I think it would be an honor to play against Montana, New Hampshire, PSU, etc... The only way to tell how good they are is to play the best. That is my personal overall hope for the hawks.

Many people also forget that Monmouth is a baby compared to a lot of these teams. Football was established in 1993 and they have pretty much stayed highly competitive in the NEC and now in out of conference play.

Gridiron against San Diego or at-large, whatever... It's all good from here!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
IMO, Monmouth has a shot, but needs some help.

* Montana over Montana State
* Maine over UNH
* JMU over Towson
* Southern Utah over Southern Illinois

* Delaware State loss
* TN-Martin loss or EIU loss
* Portland State loss

Stranger things have happened. If Montana State wins the autobid you might be in trouble. If both Towson and UNH win, you will also probably not have a shot. But if next week is "Saturday Bloody Saturday" Monmouth could be headed to UMass.

Of course, hosting USD is good too. Would be a great game. :twocents:

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Neither "always get you in" though.

is that Ralph with another on the fence answerxcoffeex xcoffeex

Stang Fever
November 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I believe Portland st should go for sure. the Big SKY will get at LEAST two bids.

and 4 losses does not knock you out of the playoffs, just makes it harder to get in.

BobbyMo
November 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Congrats to monmouth, and good luck wherever you end up

LeopardFan04
November 12th, 2006, 01:56 AM
IMO, Monmouth has a shot, but needs some help.

* Montana over Montana State
* Maine over UNH
* JMU over Towson
* Southern Utah over Southern Illinois

* Delaware State loss
* TN-Martin loss or EIU loss
* Portland State loss

Stranger things have happened. If Montana State wins the autobid you might be in trouble. If both Towson and UNH win, you will also probably not have a shot. But if next week is "Saturday Bloody Saturday" Monmouth could be headed to UMass.

Of course, hosting USD is good too. Would be a great game. :twocents:

It could happen. This year especially the way some things have gone...Congrats Monmouth...good luck with either the playoffs or the GC...

alumNEC
November 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Albany needs to find an offense this off-season. A lot of returning players but can Ford devlop a QB? Thats the question.

If Albany had an offense they would have been 11-0 this year. Would've, should've, could've.....didn't! :mad:

Congrats to Monmouth and good luck against USD in the GIC!

Danefan I agree about Albany, I was totally on the bandwagon for them against any opponent because of their stellar defense... but it is just too hard to not only depend on your defense for a shutout, but to depend on them to score the points as well... The Danes have one of the best defenses in all Iaa but their offense is one of the worst. If you take out the couple of cup-cake teams they played, their offensive stats are dreadful... Well, I guess if you take cup-cake teams out of any team's schedule their stats will be worse, but in Albany's case it is blaring... Imagine if MU or CCSU's offense was paired with their defense! wow is the only word that comes to mind... but, like danefan said, coulda woulda shoula... I know the season is not over but I cant help but get even more excited for next year, it could be the year that the NEC gets a playoff bid (I do not belive MU will get in, they are a great team, I just feel their are too many teams out there that will get the nod first)... Only time will tell, but I am happy that all NEC teams gained some respect from other conferences and fans, they are nowhere near the calliber of the big conferences, but I am happy we are not all on here embarrassing ourselves like some other conferences (think real hard)... I am very happy that Delaware, GSouthern, Lehigh, Colgate,etc did not blow up at the NEC teams and talk too much smack after some of the NECs biggest wins, which could easily have happened, it showed me a lot of class from those schools... Congrats to MU for winning the championship, it was well-earned and very exciting, proud to be an NEC fan for life

Like I said, I know the season is not over, and the playoffs will be exciting as always, but my NEC is near its finish, and in case I do not get the chance I wanted to show my respect to the teams that could have been classless and disrespectful, but ended up acting classy as hell toward the NEC, thanks for a great OOC season everybody! xsmileyclapx

GOTOREROS
November 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'd rather see Monmouth before San Diego.

I'd rather see San Diego than UNI.......:smiley_wi

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Congrats to Monmouth on winning the NEC!

Definetely an up and coming conference... in a few years, it may very well be a auto-berth into the playoffs.

Can't wait for the Gridiron Classic... happy to see it pushed back to December 2 so it won't conflict with LC-LU... now I can finally see what this San Diego phenomenon is all about...

Any word on tickets? Not expecting my Pards to be playing, even if we beat Lehigh.

USD-Monmouth better get some coverage...

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Congrats to Monmouth on winning the NEC!

Definetely an up and coming conference... in a few years, it may very well be a auto-berth into the playoffs.

Can't wait for the Gridiron Classic... happy to see it pushed back to December 2 so it won't conflict with LC-LU... now I can finally see what this San Diego phenomenon is all about...

Any word on tickets? Not expecting my Pards to be playing, even if we beat Lehigh.

USD-Monmouth better get some coverage...

Unfortunately no TV coverage as of yet. NEC media relations said that no network would commit to the game that wouldn't have a set location until now. Maybe they should think about a neutral site for next year. :(

monmouthhawk
November 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
WEEK 11 NOTEBOOK
Team of the Week: Monmouth

The Hawks don’t have a major media market or flock of message board posters that spread like a fungus supporting their longshot cause for an at-large berth to the Division I Football Championship. And even at 10-1 against an all Division I schedule, a longshot is still an accurate description of Monmouth’s hopes to earn a playoff bid from a "Mid-Major" conference. But if anyone from the usually disregarded I-AA leagues is going to have a case for playoff selection, Monmouth is sitting in good shape after defeating Albany, 19-0, to win the Northeast Conference title on Saturday. In a battle of stellar defenses, the Hawks limited Albany to 174 yards of total offense and posted their second shutout of the season to win the NEC title outright for the first time in school history. After stopping an Albany drive deep in their territory to start the game, the Hawks moved down the field and took a 7-0 lead on a short touchdown run by David Sinisi, who scored for the 11th game in a row. After a three-and-out by the defense, Monmouth mounted another touchdown drive that ended with Brian Boland’s two-yard pass to Mike McClelland and put it ahead, 13-0, early in the second quarter. Boland connected with Adam San Miguel on a 63-yard scoring strike for a 19-0 lead on the first play from scrimmage in the second half, and the rout was on as the Hawks’ defense was never seriously threatened.

Boland finished 17-of-18 passing, including 11-of-12 in the first half, for 214 yards and two touchdowns. Monmouth will begin preparations for a certain spot against the PFL champion in the Gridiron Classic on Dec. 2. But with wins over Colgate, Morgan State and Albany and the all Division I schedule, the Hawks can at least sit back next week and root against New Hampshire, Towson, Eastern Illinois, Montana State and others in hopes of obtaining a playoff bid that would have been unfathomable when the year began.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
So when the NEC gets above 30 scholarships, where does that place teams like Monmouth? Not "non-schoalrship", not exactly mid-major.

OL FU
November 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Congrats to Monmouth.

Impressive season

ngineer
November 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM

How can you say that when they suffered their first league loss yesterday? They're 5-1 and can tie for the championship by beating Harvard next week.

November 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
How can you say that when they suffered their first league loss yesterday? They're 5-1 and can tie for the championship by beating Harvard next week.Fans of some schools don't like that they are spending a billion on their program, playing top-notch competition and USD is getting headlines and not doing that.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
WEEK 11 NOTEBOOK
Team of the Week: Monmouth

The Hawks don’t have a major media market or flock of message board posters that spread like a fungus supporting their longshot cause for an at-large berth to the Division I Football Championship. And even at 10-1 against an all Division I schedule, a longshot is still an accurate description of Monmouth’s hopes to earn a playoff bid from a "Mid-Major" conference. But if anyone from the usually disregarded I-AA leagues is going to have a case for playoff selection, Monmouth is sitting in good shape after defeating Albany, 19-0, to win the Northeast Conference title on Saturday. In a battle of stellar defenses, the Hawks limited Albany to 174 yards of total offense and posted their second shutout of the season to win the NEC title outright for the first time in school history. After stopping an Albany drive deep in their territory to start the game, the Hawks moved down the field and took a 7-0 lead on a short touchdown run by David Sinisi, who scored for the 11th game in a row. After a three-and-out by the defense, Monmouth mounted another touchdown drive that ended with Brian Boland’s two-yard pass to Mike McClelland and put it ahead, 13-0, early in the second quarter. Boland connected with Adam San Miguel on a 63-yard scoring strike for a 19-0 lead on the first play from scrimmage in the second half, and the rout was on as the Hawks’ defense was never seriously threatened.

Boland finished 17-of-18 passing, including 11-of-12 in the first half, for 214 yards and two touchdowns. Monmouth will begin preparations for a certain spot against the PFL champion in the Gridiron Classic on Dec. 2. But with wins over Colgate, Morgan State and Albany and the all Division I schedule, the Hawks can at least sit back next week and root against New Hampshire, Towson, Eastern Illinois, Montana State and others in hopes of obtaining a playoff bid that would have been unfathomable when the year began.

Amen. I hope you get in, because you earned the right to test yourselves the old-fashioned way - you won your league.