PDA

View Full Version : Wofford anyone?

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I know a four loss team will get overlooked (probably because of San Diego-like teams), but do any of you think the selection committee will give a nod to Wofford?

Hear me out:

Four losses. They barely get clipped by an upstart CCU team 41-38, Scare the hell out of South Carolina 27-20, lose big to Furman (big game), and played App State to a durn near draw in Boone losing 14-7.

They have been rolling lately and playing, IMO, some of the best football in IAA. They have lost to three playoff bound (for the time being) teams and a good SEC squad. With the lack of any real dominate teams and a wide door open to a variety of at large selections, why not the Terriers?

I am still one of those nuts who wants to see the 16 best teams play in the playoffs. I am not a huge fan of representing every region of the country or even most of the conferences. I don't feel good about giving a team a bid just because they win every game when it is almost assured they will get waxed in the first round.

I'm going to feel bad when a Maine, Wofford, UNH, Coastal, etc. get left at home this playoff.

thoughts?

note: I realize that they would be hesitant to give three bids to South Carolina schools, but I am still of the impression that this Wofford team could make some noise.

seantaylor
November 11th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I know a four loss team will get overlooked (probably because of San Diego-like teams), but do any of you think the selection committee will give a nod to Wofford?

Hear me out:

Four losses. They barely get clipped by an upstart CCU team 41-38, Scare the hell out of South Carolina 27-20, lose big to Furman (big game), and played App State to a durn near draw in Boone losing 14-7.

They have been rolling lately and playing, IMO, some of the best football in IAA. They have lost to three playoff bound (for the time being) teams and a good SEC squad. With the lack of any real dominate teams and a wide door open to a variety of at large selections, why not the Terriers?

I am still one of those nuts who wants to see the 16 best teams play in the playoffs. I am not a huge fan of representing every region of the country or even most of the conferences. I don't feel good about giving a team a bid just because they win every game when it is almost assured they will get waxed in the first round.

I'm going to feel bad when a Maine, Wofford, UNH, Coastal, etc. get left at home this playoff.

thoughts?

note: I realize that they would be hesitant to give three bids to South Carolina schools, but I am still of the impression that this Wofford team could make some noise.

Coastal's got no business in the playoffs. Any team that loses to Elon and get drilled by us has no shot.

youwouldno
November 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM
The thing is, Wofford doesn't have much in the way of wins. At least Furman beat Wofford, who is solid but not a playoff team. Of course they're better than San Diego.

The Gadfly
November 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Coastal's got no business in the playoffs. Any team that loses to Elon and get drilled by us has no shot.

Shut up and keep losing. GO BLUE DEVILS aaaaaand BABY BLUEDOGS

Usually I would agree with you on this point, but this season I just can't do it (for right now)

thirdgendin
November 11th, 2006, 04:49 AM
This season has seen so much turmoil and parity that I honestly wouldn't be surprised seeing either a San Diego-type team with a terrible schedule or a four-loss team make the playoffs.

Wofford has a decent resume, but they could've written their ticket if not for the late collapse against Coastal (much like Furman).

rokamortis
November 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM

That's funny.

dungeonjoe
November 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
As always, a lot will depend on the next two games and what happens around the country. I think Wofford is playing as well now as at any time since 2003.

It is funny how we speak of the SoCon. How everybody is having a down year (except ASU). I think the conference has more parity than anything.

Be that as it may, I think the Coastal loss will be costly for Wofford. Exceptional play against ASU (is that the closest margin of victory they have had this year?) and USC mean a lot, but with so many schools throughout the country with less than 4 losses, I would truly be surprised to get invited.

Almost as surprised as I was in 2002 when we DIDN'T get invited.

bobbythekidd
November 11th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I may not have all the facts straight, but my understanding is as follows...
One auto bid will go to a SoCon school. This season that will obviously be App. There will be the possibility, and that is all it is, of an at large bid. Assuming a win today by Furman, it will go to them, based on history.
I have been reading that the SoCon is down this year but I still think it is up with the exception of GSU and to a much lesser degree Furman. Furman is still good, while GSU is not.
This is just not Woffords year. No doubt the time is comming, but will need regular season wins, not close losses to make it happen.

As a sidenote to CCU fans, this board is for civil disscussions.

rokamortis
November 11th, 2006, 08:51 AM
As a sidenote to CCU fans, this board is for civil disscussions.

bobby - If you have a problem with anything posted here then you should report the post to a moderator.

BigApp
November 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'll throw a wrench in here:

I'm not convinced (yet) that Furman is a playoff team. Their best win of the season is against Wofford, and lost to Coastal.

They barely beat a 5-4 Jacksonville St by 4, a 3-7 Chattanooga (in OT no less) by 6, and a 3-6 The Citadel by 6. All at home. They have a losing road record (2-3, 2-2 if you throw out UNC-CH).

Now, a big win over GSU would certainly convince me, but that is certainly far from a given.:twocents:

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I'm not convinced (yet) that Furman is a playoff team. Their best win of the season is against Wofford, and lost to Coastal.

They barely beat a 5-4 Jacksonville St by 4, a 3-7 Chattanooga (in OT no less) by 6, and a 3-6 The Citadel by 6. All at home. They have a losing road record (2-3, 2-2 if you throw out UNC-CH).

Now, a big win over GSU would certainly convince me, but that is certainly far from a given.:twocents:

You App fans have your noses stuck firmly in the air. That's not even on topic.

Furman is 7-3, win today and they will be in. IF they get to that off week, and get healthy, they will be one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs. Mark my words.

ASU beat up on a wounded team. Let us get healthy, get our running back to full strength, get our quarterback to 100% and you can see how much of a playoff team we are.

The Dude
November 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Wofford seems to be rolling already.

Up 21-0 on Chatty w/ 4:50 left in the 1st.

Death Dealer
November 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM
28-0 at the last update on the web.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
You App fans have your noses stuck firmly in the air. That's not even on topic.

Furman is 7-3, win today and they will be in. IF they get to that off week, and get healthy, they will be one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs. Mark my words.

ASU beat up on a wounded team. Let us get healthy, get our running back to full strength, get our quarterback to 100% and you can see how much of a playoff team we are.

It took a couple of weeks, but I knew the excuses would come.

Anyway you're right if Furman wins they are 100% lock at the playoffs and I'd say 75-80% chance at a home game as at least 2 teams ahead of them will lose in the coming weeks. Wofford is a solid 7-4 potential team, but I think PSU and EIU have stronger resumes at 7-4.

BigApp
November 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
That's not even on topic.

I would say that it is. You are questioning whether or not a 3rd place SoCon team gets in. I'm inquiring to whether or not a team ahead of them gets in.

The Dude
November 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Wofford up 42-0 at the half.

youwouldno
November 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Furman has some close wins but also 2 of the 3 losses were very close. Furman will be in at 8-3 and get a chance to show they belong.

HiHiYikas
November 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Wofford is a very hot team right now, and looking better all the time. I'd hate to see ASU have to play them again.

They look like the kind of team that could make some noise in the playoffs, but I'm afraid they won't get their chance. They're definitely in my top 25 this week.

ravinggoat
November 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Chattanooga 0
Wofford 55
Final

BigApp
November 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
nice win for the ankle biters!

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for making my point, Wofford.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Wofford might be playing the best of anything team in the SoCon right now

SoCon48
November 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Well ol' Ayers tried to make a bid on Sat vs Chatty by the margin.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2006, 06:31 AM
He'll probably do the same to Garnder Webb.

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I am not sure that I disagree, but it won't matter. 8-3 and 6-1 in the SoCon without anyother SoCon candidate, we get in. :nod:

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM
As always, a lot will depend on the next two games and what happens around the country. I think Wofford is playing as well now as at any time since 2003.

It is funny how we speak of the SoCon. How everybody is having a down year (except ASU). I think the conference has more parity than anything.

Be that as it may, I think the Coastal loss will be costly for Wofford. Exceptional play against ASU (is that the closest margin of victory they have had this year?) and USC mean a lot, but with so many schools throughout the country with less than 4 losses, I would truly be surprised to get invited.

Almost as surprised as I was in 2002 when we DIDN'T get invited.
Totally agree that Wofford is playing better than at any time since 2003's semifinal run. It's a real credit to Mike Ayers and the coaching staff that the Terriers are playing this well this quickly. In my view, Wofford has arrived a year earlier than I thought they would. This is a team to watch out for next year, though I wouldn't mind seeing them get a shot at the playoffs this year. I think you could make a case for Wofford, Portland State, Montana State (if the Bobcats lose to Montana) and Eastern Illinois as four-loss teams. But one or two teams of that group is going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

Unfortunately, four losses has been a stigma with the committee. I thought that Appalachian State and Stephen F. Austin, who both were 7-4 and narrowly missed auto bids from the conferences that year, were playing well enough to make the semifinals in 2003 when they were left out.

dungeonjoe
November 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Well ol' Ayers tried to make a bid on Sat vs Chatty by the margin.

Yes, it was part of Ayers' strategy for the Mocs to turn the ball over 6 times. :cool: :rolleyes:

The Mocs turned the ball over 4 of its first 5 posessions and Wofford scored each time. I did not make the game, so I cannot say if it was injuries or what that seem to deflate Chattanooga. I think it was their ast game of the season.

This season for the terriers is much, much better than anyone thought it would be. We were picked to finish 6th or worse. I give them credit for not hanging it up afet starting 2-4.

dungeonjoe
November 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Totally agree that Wofford is playing better than at any time since 2003's semifinal run. It's a real credit to Mike Ayers and the coaching staff that the Terriers are playing this well this quickly. In my view, Wofford has arrived a year earlier than I thought they would. This is a team to watch out for next year, though I wouldn't mind seeing them get a shot at the playoffs this year. I think you could make a case for Wofford, Portland State, Montana State (if the Bobcats lose to Montana) and Eastern Illinois as four-loss teams. But one or two teams of that group is going to find themselves on the outside looking in.
Unfortunately, four losses has been a stigma with the committee. I thought that Appalachian State and Stephen F. Austin, who both were 7-4 and narrowly missed auto bids from the conferences that year, were playing well enough to make the semifinals in 2003 when they were left out.

Mr. C., what lead you to think that even two teams with 4 losses will get in? I just don't see it, unless they are auto-bid. But you obviously see something I don't.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I can see why a 4 loss team doesn't make it. I just don't want to see a team make it because of a sterling record and then get pummeled in the first round.