PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Stickers

ngineer
April 14th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I've noticed that in I-A a number of schools use those 'stickers' on helmets to connote some great deed in past games or some other honor. That practice doesn't seem as prevalent in I-AA. Too me, I've never liked the stickers. Football is such a team game, that elevating one or two players for a win, over the others who were fighting like hell, too, can lead to problems. I always thought the Ohio State helmets with those stupid buckeye stickers all over them looked ridiculous. Do your schools follow that practice?

rokamortis
April 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM
CCU uses a chicken claw.

I like the stickers - it shows who the 'badasses' are - badges of honor. I don't think it takes away from the team aspects to use the stickers. Football is still the greatest team game IMHO - with or without helmet stickers ;)

leatherneck177
April 14th, 2005, 11:28 PM
WIU used to use the stickers until about 1999 or so. Aaron Stecker must have used them all up.

colgate13
April 15th, 2005, 07:11 AM
just my opinion of course....

but helmet stickers are for high school. They have no place in college football. Some places have traditions (like Ohio st.) but any new coach that instates a system like that has bigger fish to fry than trying to motivate Division I athletes by sticker rewards.

eaglefan452
April 15th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I kinda like the stickers, I know they tend to mark personal acheivements, but they are kinda neat on helmets. I like the buckeyes on the Ohio St. helmets, that is a neat tradition. I can't really think of many more I-A schools that do it other than FSU with the tomahawk and I think that Mark Richt brought back the dogbones on the UGA helmets.

eagleskins
April 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I kinda like the stickers, I know they tend to mark personal acheivements, but they are kinda neat on helmets. I like the buckeyes on the Ohio St. helmets, that is a neat tradition. I can't really think of many more I-A schools that do it other than FSU with the tomahawk and I think that Mark Richt brought back the dogbones on the UGA helmets.

UNC does it.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Stickers or not, I think the team lining up against any team knows what kind of fight they are getting into. Stickers don't mean anything outside of boosting a team's ego and possibly morale. If you get too cocky, your not going to win a game. Any Given Saturday, right fellas?

GannonFan
April 18th, 2005, 09:33 AM
IMO, stickers are fine, but aren't the end all be all - they're like any other motivational tool - game balls, first out of the tunnel, etc.

ISUMatt
April 18th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I just liked the commercial on ESPN where the guys were in the locker room with the stickers and saying if you do something good, BUCKEYE, tackle a player...BUCKEYE!!! kick an extra point...BUCKEYE!!!

in NCAA College Football, they have the stickers too for the teams that use them, go to a Heisman list and it will show the sticker with a X45 or any number signifying how many great plays they have made

Fordham
April 18th, 2005, 10:16 AM
i like them and think it would be even nicer if they gave the player who did well a little sign to hold up like they have at political conventions that could explain exactly what he did to earn them. that way you know the guy that is holding up the most signs in both hands while he's running down the field is flat out awesome and you also know what he did to earn them.

Paladin1aa
April 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM
At YSU, they don't use stickers.