PDA

View Full Version : Apps Playoff vision

umassfan
November 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
GOASU seems to think JMU has played the harder OOC then UMass and will result in them getting the higher seed. I beg to differ. Here are JMU's and UMass's OOC Schedules:

UMass:
Colgate
Stony Brook
Navy

JMU:
Bloomsburg
App St
VMI

App St got beat by 3-6 NC State by 13 so anyone who says App would beat Navy is mistaken. Navy is 6-3 with their 3 losses being Tulsa, Rutgers, and Notre Dame.

http://www.goasu.com/article/9556/?fSession=1e7c6a26802f9845aed1f9c4f89e47989c9c7ddb

Black Saturday
November 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=umassfan]GOASU seems to think JMU has played the harder OOC then UMass and will result in them getting the higher seed. I beg to differ. Here are JMU's and UMass's OOC Schedules:

UMass:
Colgate
Stony Brook
Navy

JMU:
Bloomsburg
App St
VMI

App St got beat by 3-6 NC State by 13 so anyone who says App would beat Navy is mistaken. Navy is 6-3 with their 3 losses being Tulsa, Rutgers, and Notre Dame.

APP is a different team with a different QB than the first game of the year.

rufus
November 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM
GOASU seems to think JMU has played the harder OOC then UMass and will result in them getting the higher seed. I beg to differ. Here are JMU's and UMass's OOC Schedules:

UMass:
Colgate
Stony Brook
Navy

JMU:
Bloomsburg
App St
VMI

http://www.goasu.com/article/9556/?fSession=1e7c6a26802f9845aed1f9c4f89e47989c9c7ddb
Sararin's and Massey's strength of schedule rankings both seem to back up your argument.

UMass: #142 Sagarin SOS
JMU: #148 Sagarin SOS

UMass: #136 Massey SOS
JMU: #152 Massey SOS

Other than GOASU, has anyone argued otherwise?

umassfan
November 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Sararin's and Massey's strength of schedule rankings both seem to back up your argument.

UMass: #142 Sagarin SOS
JMU: #148 Sagarin SOS

UMass: #136 Massey SOS
JMU: #152 Massey SOS

Other than GOASU, has anyone argued otherwise?
Im not sure but some fans have made the claim. Also UMass's SOS will improve playing Maine.

appisgreatest
November 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM
In all honesty I would rather meet UMass in the playoffs than face JMU

umassfan
November 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Dont make that wish... you will regret it.

DB_Atlantic10
November 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM

UMass:
Colgate
Stony Brook
Navy

JMU:
Bloomsburg
App St
VMI

http://www.goasu.com/article/9556/?fSession=1e7c6a26802f9845aed1f9c4f89e47989c9c7ddb I'm starting to wonder about you... who really gives a crap... It will either be 3/4 for the both of us...and that means absolutely crap, as we would both still have to travel to either 1 or two if we win.... plus at least we won't be in the same brackets as 4 would travel to one and 3 would travel to 2......and that's if and only if we both win out and get the seeds....there's still a lot of football to be played first.... so chill....xcoffeex

OldFootballGuy
November 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Dont make that wish... you will regret it.

They will only regret it if you can find some way to have the game somewhere other than Boone. If UMass could play them on a neutral field, they'd have a chance. Playing in Boone is good for two TDs for those guys. You don't want to go there.

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Who cares: YSU's was tougher than each In My Very Humble and Unbiased Youngstown Opinion: Hence they should get the 4th seed!!

MAINE
UC-DAVIS
PENN STATE
then the horrifying Gateway schedule!!!!

Thank God we don't have a D2 next year! Kudos to AD Strollo for that one!

GO PENGUINS: BEAT WKU!

rufus
November 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Who cares: YSU's was tougher than each In My Very Humble and Unbiased Youngstown Opinion: Hence they should get the 4th seed!!

MAINE
UC-DAVIS
PENN STATE...
I agree that YSU's schedule is tougher, and that they would deserve the bid if YSU, JMU, and UMass all had one loss. But alas, YSU has two losses. Even if we ignore the Penn State loss, I think it's hard to argue that a loss to UNI is somehow not as bad as a loss to Navy or App State.

igo4uni
November 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Hence they should get the 4th seed!!

Even if UNI gets the Gateway autobid???

th0m
November 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM

And vice versa. :nod:

I'd like to meet UMass so we get to have our A-10 championship game after all...

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Welp... don't worry, UMass is going to get in above JMU unless they get knocked off in these last two weeks... and I agree, you never want to face the same opponant twice in one season. (They tend to get really pissed off if they loose ;) )

Appguy
November 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Umassfan,
you cant seriously be arguing that Navy is better than NC state.
Navy's schedule (excluding their losses) is so slack its not even funny. They beat ECU, UConn, Stanford, Umass, Air Force, and freakn Duke. While NC state has beaten 2 schools that were ranked when they played, BC and FSU and lost by less than 1 score to the 2 best ACC teams WF and Maryland.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Welp... don't worry, UMass is going to get in above JMU unless they get knocked off in these last two weeks... and I agree, you never want to face the same opponant twice in one season. (They tend to get really pissed off if they loose ;) )

they get even more pissed off when the get pummelled the second time!:eyebrow:

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Not a wise choice. UMass is probably the most dangerous team for ASU in the playoffs (not saying that UMass would win), because the Minutemen have the speed to hang with the Mountaineers, play great defense and are balanced on offense (just like ASU). That big UMass offensive line might give the Mountaineers some trouble, too. It would be an excellent matchup and is one I'd like to see in Chattanooga.

JMU, on the other hand, has some weaknesses that ASU exploited in the first meeting and I believe the Mountaineers would be more dangerous against them a second time because of ASU's improved offense. I also don't see JMU scoring enough points to hang with the Mountaineers in a rematch. The ASU defense just has too much speed for the Dukes.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I worry a bit about ASU vs anybody in the play-offs when I think about the close games we had vs a weak GSU team and vs in confence Wofford (at the Rock no less).

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Umassfan,
Navy's schedule (excluding their losses) is so slack its not even funny. They beat ECU, UConn, Stanford, Umass, Air Force, and freakn Duke. While NC state has beaten 2 schools that were ranked when they played, BC and FSU and lost by less than 1 score to the 2 best ACC teams WF and Maryland.

Navy is better than NC State. NC State is playing terrible football and their Coach is toast at the end of the season. Navy is ranked 40th in the Country while NC State is ranked 62d. UMass is ranked 48. Appy is ranked 63.

bandl
November 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Umassfan,
NC State lost to Akron. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Air Force is better than NC State too.

GO Navy !!! Go Air Force!!! Go Army !!!

Happy Veterans Day - Remember our Veterans - We owe them everything and they ask for very little.

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Air Force is better than NC State too.

GO Navy !!! Go Air Force!!! Go Army !!!

Happy Veterans Day - Remember our Veterans - We owe them everything and they ask for very little.

Well, THIS veteran is asking for Montana to make it to Chatty.

Is that too much to ask? :o :o :o :o

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Is that too much to ask? :o :o :o :o

Depends on what route Montana plans on taking to get to Chatty, Hopefully we'll share a pre-game toast in Chatty ;)

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I think I can pull some strings and get my Air Force brother to fly the plane that'll take the Dukes to Chatty ;)

Happy Veterans day to all!!

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Depends on what route Montana plans on taking to get to Chatty, Hopefully we'll share a pre-game toast in Chatty ;)

Sounds like a plan. I'll be the one in the Griz Gear!!!

downbythebeach
November 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Here is a question....

Why are losses to I-As counted in SOS?
They are still loses......?

Appguy
November 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
sagarin rankings are a joke

SoCon48
November 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Navy is better than NC State. NC State is playing terrible football and their Coach is toast at the end of the season. Navy is ranked 40th in the Country while NC State is ranked 62d. UMass is ranked 48. Appy is ranked 63.

UMass is 15 spots better than App?
Hillarious.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Here is a question....

Why are losses to I-As counted in SOS?
They are still loses......?
Let's see, App State loses to North Carolina State. UMass loses to Navy. Montana loses to Iowa. North Dakota State loses to Minnesota. These teams are going out and playing the best competition they can find and should be rewarded for scheduling teams like Azusa Pacific or Dixie State (or a hundred other schools like that).

boonegoon
November 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Rankings don't mean crap and why are you debating whether NC Stae is better than Navy? that's 1 A football. If Umass and ASU are good enough then they will meet . In Boone.

asu7
November 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Rankings don't mean crap and why are you debating whether NC Stae is better than Navy? that's 1 A football. If Umass and ASU are good enough then they will meet . In Boone.

Doubt it ... UMASS will be going west ... they will get the 3 seed or 2 seed if UM gets beat by MSU ... this means we will get the penguins ... I think UM beats MSU this year ... so it looks like UM will get a shot at UMASS in the semis provided both win ...

mlbowl
November 13th, 2006, 08:36 AM

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: