PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 players from your school...

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Who are the best 5 players to play at your school. College careers only.

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

Remember, this is one man's opinion only. Fell free to list yours.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I'm young so I only go back to the late 70's so my list for UD is:

1. Rich Gannon (by a mile)
2. Darrell Booker (meanest LB I ever saw)
3. Eddie Conti (shame he was too small to play in the NFL when he came out - might have had a better shot now)
4. Shawn Johnson (granted, he was only here for a year but he was a monster - absoltely destroyed offensive linemen)
5. Bill Vergantino (UD's QB in the early 90's - the guy was a gamer and a great option QB - they beat Marshall in the '92 semis and probably win the NC that year if he didn't come down with the flu the day before and end up on the sideline puking in the second half).

TheBisonator
November 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
My top five:

1) Phil Hansen
2) Lamar Gordon
3) Jeff Bentrim
4) Tyrone Braxton
5) Mike Favor

Although I'll probably get some debate amongst my fellow Bison fans...:smiley_wi

3rd Coast Tiger
November 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Kenny Burrough
Ernie Holmes
Homer Jones (first player to spike the ball scoring a TD)
Brett Maxie
Michael Strahan

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Youngstown State

1. Marcus Mason
2. Louis Irizarry
3. Joe Bishop
4. Jason Perry
5. Codera Jackson

Other Mention: Tom Zetts

SunCoastBlueHen
November 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM

3. Eddie Conti (shame he was too small to play in the NFL when he came out - might have had a better shot now)
4. Shawn Johnson (granted, he was only here for a year but he was a monster - absoltely destroyed offensive linemen)
5. Bill Vergantino (UD's QB in the early 90's - the guy was a gamer and a great option QB - they beat Marshall in the '92 semis and probably win the NC that year if he didn't come down with the flu the day before and end up on the sideline puking in the second half).

Good list, but I would have to insert Daryl Brown in there somewhere.

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Youngstown State

1. Marcus Mason
2. Louis Irizarry
3. Joe Bishop
4. Jason Perry
5. Codera Jackson

wow do you have a short memory . . :rotateh:

ncbears
November 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Here's my opinion of UNC's

1. Vince Jackson

2. Corte McGuffy

3. Aaron Smith

4. Dirk Johnson

5. Adam Matthews

HensRock
November 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Youngstown State

1. Marcus Mason
2. Louis Irizarry
3. Joe Bishop
4. Jason Perry
5. Codera Jackson

Ever hear of Ron Jaworski?

MrTitleist
November 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Here's my opinion of UNC's

1. Vince Jackson

2. Corte McGuffy

3. Aaron Smith

4. Dirk Johnson

5. Adam Matthews

I think I went to football camp with Corte McGuffy when I was a kid.

Maroon&White
UMass:

Greg Landry
Lou Bush
Milt Morin
Marcel Shipp
Kole Ayi

Todd Bankhead should probably also be on there, but oh well.

GannonFan
Good list, but I would have to insert Daryl Brown in there somewhere.

Who would you take out for him? Plus, I was never a huge Daryl Brown fan - I thought he just didn't progress that much from what he was as a freshman. I had much bigger hopes for him.

BillLuc1982
November 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
In order...

1.) Tamron Smith
2.) Ron Jaworski
3.) Cliff Stoudt
4.) Jeff Wilkins
5.) Tim Johnson

SunCoastBlueHen
November 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Who would you take out for him? Plus, I was never a huge Daryl Brown fan - I thought he just didn't progress that much from what he was as a freshman. I had much bigger hopes for him.

Gannon. :smiley_wi

89Hen
November 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I thought he just didn't progress that much from what he was as a freshman. I had much bigger hopes for him.
In a way, the same could be said for Booker unfortunately. :( :( :bawling:

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

Obviously, you are fairly new to I-AA, but you miss some huge names from ASU.

Matt Stevens would arguably be on any list of the top cornerbacks in I-AA of all-time. Probably the only one in his league during the past 14 seasons I've covered I-AA is Rasheen Mathis of Bethune-Cookman. Stevens was a projected mid-first-round draft choice before a cheap shot block against UTC ruined his knee. Even then, he still lasted eight years in the NFL and won a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots.

Larry Hand had his number retired for a reason this season. While I didn't see him play at ASU (I would have been a small child then), I did see him play in the NFL (even had his football card) and he was very good. He actually was a star offensive tackle and defensive tackle with the Detroit Lions.

DaVon Fowlkes (note the correct spelling) had one GREAT year and was a very good player in his other three seasons, but I wouldn't list him ahead of the others. Hard to know where to put Richie Williams on this list. He is obviously the best ASU QB in history and he led the Mountaineers to the I-AA title, but I don't think he was as talented as Coakley, Hackett, Settle and Stevens.

Harold Alexander and Mark Royals were two of the best punters to come out of ASU and I-AA and don't forget offensive tackle Derrick Graham.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM
1.) Charles Haley
2.) Gary Clark
3.) Scott Norwood
4.) Delvin Joyce
5.) Justin Rascati

Honorable Mention: Curtis Keaton, Eriq Williams, Rodney McCarter

Retro
November 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM
It's tough to just pick 5, but here are some standouts.

1. Stephen Starring
2. Buford Jordan
3. Kerry Joseph
4. Zack Bronson
5. B.J. Sams

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
wow do you have a short memory . . :rotateh:
LMAO.. I thought it was for this year's team.....

Well then:
1. Jeff Wilkins
2. Tamron Smith
3. Mark Brungard--underrated as a QB.
4. ???
5. ???

There are a lotta players deserving on this list.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
1.) Charles Haley
2.) Gary Clark
3.) Scott Norwood
4.) Delvin Joyce
5.) Justin Rascati

What about Ed Perry? He was one of the best TEs I've seen in I-AA. Played in the NFL for awhile. Mike Cawley was a pretty good QB. May have been better than Rascati. He played in the CFL after JMU.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Matt Stevens would arguably be on any list of the top cornerbacks in I-AA of all-time. Probably the only one in his league during the past 14 seasons I've covered I-AA is Rasheen Mathis of Bethune-Cookman. Stevens was a projected mid-first-round draft choice before a cheap shot block against UTC ruined his knee. Even then, he still lasted eight years in the NFL and won a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots.

Larry Hand had his number retired for a reason this season. While I didn't see him play at ASU (I would have been a small child then), I did see him play in the NFL (even had his football card) and he was very good. He actually was a star offensive tackle and defensive tackle with the Detroit Lions.

DaVon Fowlkes (note the correct spelling) had one GREAT year and was a very good player in his other three seasons, but I wouldn't list him ahead of the others. Hard to know where to put Richie Williams on this list. He is obviously the best ASU QB in history and he led the Mountaineers to the I-AA title, but I don't think he was as talented as Coakley, Hackett, Settle and Stevens.

Harold Alexander and Mark Royals were two of the best punters to come out of ASU and I-AA and don't forget offensive tackle Derrick Graham.

which is why I said feel free to dissect C

Would you agree that Richie is atleast in the top 5?

as for my spelling, picky picky:smiley_wi

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
It's tough to just pick 5, but her some standouts.

1. Stephen Starring
2. Buford Jordan
3. Kerry Joseph
4. Zack Bronson
5. B.J. Sams
Your right, it's hard to pick five from McNeese State. A couple of other names worth mentioning, though: Kavika Pittman and Zach Bronson. I liked a lot of your players on those 1995 and 2002 teams.

DuckDuckGriz
November 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Montana IMO

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Terry Dillon
3. Joe Douglass
4. Tim Hauck
5. Lex Hilliard (honestly)

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:13 AM
1.) Charles Haley
2.) Gary Clark
3.) Scott Norwood
4.) Delvin Joyce
5.) Justin Rascati

Norwood? Really? How good of a kicker was he at JMU that you'd put him in a top 5 list over position players? And Delvin Joyce? Hey, I admit, he was a heckuva an all-around player, but is he that high? Who else from a RB standpoint would he compete against?

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Mike Cawley was a pretty good QB. May have been better than Rascati. He played in the CFL after JMU.

Uh-oh - be prepared for the pro-Rascati barrage - JMU fans don't take well to any insinuations that Rascati is the greatest QB of all time! ;)

But on Cawley, I agree, he was a tremendous QB and a real competitor. I'm not sure that Rascati is better than Cawley either, and that's no insult to Rascati because I thought Cawley could really play. He didn't have the support that Rascati has.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
What about Ed Perry? He was one of the best TEs I've seen in I-AA. Played in the NFL for awhile. Mike Cawley was a pretty good QB. May have been better than Rascati. He played in the CFL after JMU.

Rascati has Cawley beat (or will be beaten in 2 more games) in pretty much every catagory of passing at JMU except completions, yards and attempts, but Williams still holds some great rushing numbers along with his good passing numbers. I think Rascati's record (28-7 vs 23-9) and efficiency (career 153.3 with a .673 completion percentage) shows he's better overall, but we'll see how he does after college.

Ed Perry I just overlooked, I didn't catch his college numbers but then again he was a TE so of course the numbers won't be as flashy.

th0m
November 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM
You're not going to get any pro-Rascati flak from me, I haven't been around JMU football long enough to make any comparisons.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Rascati has Cawley beat (or will be beaten in 2 more games) in pretty much every catagory of passing at JMU except completions, yards and attempts, but Williams still holds some great rushing numbers along with his good passing numbers. I think Rascati's record (28-7 vs 23-9) and efficiency (career 153.3 with a .673 completion percentage) shows he's better overall, but we'll see how he does after college.

Ed Perry I just overlooked, I didn't catch his college numbers but then again he was a TE so of course the numbers won't be as flashy.
One area that Rascati has Cawley beat big time is in the character department. Cawley was quite a smart aleck. He got his per diem taken away from him by the NCAA after a 1995 playoff game between Appalachian State and James Madison for making some extremely negative remarks about the officials and for taunting Jerry Moore of all people during the game. But he was talented.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Rascati has Cawley beat (or will be beaten in 2 more games) in pretty much every catagory of passing at JMU except completions, yards and attempts,

Aren't those some pretty big stats for a QB? I think the main thing that has always held Rascati's fame back is the offense he's in - when you run the ball 75% of the time it's hard to say the QB is as great as he's made out to be. Eventually you need to prove it. I know Mickey takes great offense at this and says that a QB that isn't the main focus of the offense should still be given the same credit as a QB who is the main focus (or conduit) for the offense but unfortunately, in the real world, it does matter. I'd be interested in seeing what Cawley's numbers really are - I'm sure the offense was much more pass oriented when he played, and certainly nowhere near the 75% run number Rascati has been in.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
One area that Rascati has Cawley beat big time is in the character department. Cawley was quite a smart aleck. He got his per diem taken away from him by the NCAA after a 1995 playoff game between Appalachian State and James Madison for making some extremely negative remarks about the officials and for taunting Jerry Moore of all people during the game. But he was talented.

He did yap, that's for sure.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Based on talent I would say:

1.Foster
2.Mohring
3.Covington
4.Lewis
5.McCutchen

each has had one or two games where they really showed their stuff, but offense problems keep stats to truly represent their talent.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM

1.Foster
2.Mohring
3.Covington
4.Lewis
5.McCutchen

each has had one or two games where they really showed their stuff, but offense problems keep stats to truly represent their talent.

Thats this year, gimme an all time list

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Norwood? Really? How good of a kicker was he at JMU that you'd put him in a top 5 list over position players? And Delvin Joyce? Hey, I admit, he was a heckuva an all-around player, but is he that high? Who else from a RB standpoint would he compete against?

Norwood did get all-pro honors for Buffalo, and I was looking at Joyce as a kick returner.

If y'all want to see some records for the Dukes to compare Rascati and Cawley or anyone else they're about halfway through this week's game preview.

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/Notes.pdf

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Aren't those some pretty big stats for a QB? I think the main thing that has always held Rascati's fame back is the offense he's in - when you run the ball 75% of the time it's hard to say the QB is as great as he's made out to be. Eventually you need to prove it. I know Mickey takes great offense at this and says that a QB that isn't the main focus of the offense should still be given the same credit as a QB who is the main focus (or conduit) for the offense but unfortunately, in the real world, it does matter. I'd be interested in seeing what Cawley's numbers really are - I'm sure the offense was much more pass oriented when he played, and certainly nowhere near the 75% run number Rascati has been in.

Check em out in the post above... they're pretty amazing considering the offense the Dukes play... I chalk the good numbers up to high completion percentage and good decision making.

bulldog10jw
November 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
In my lifetime: subject to adjustment

Brian Dowling
Calvin Hill
Dick Jauron
Kevin Czinger
Rich Diana

AggieFinn
November 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Ken O'Brien - QB Class of '82
J.T. O'Sullivan - QB Class of '02
Kevin Daft - QB Class of '99
Tony Kays - WR Class of '07
Bo Eason - FS Class of '83

there are others, Mike Oliva '03, Charley Enos '02 as well, some of the older fans in town would know the guys from the 70's and 80's better than me.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gwfc/genrel/auto_action/a-OBrienKenUCDavis04.jpg http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/Photo_Gallery/2000games/sum_mesa_state1.jpg
http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/Photo_Gallery/98games/sum_sacst.jpghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ucda/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/254330.jpeghttp://awatouringservices.com/generator/files/CurrentShows/runtphotoballweb.jpg

http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/History/index.html
http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/Alumni/pros.html

profisme
November 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Montana State University

1. Bill Kollar
2. Jan Stenerud
3. Corey Widmer
4. Joey Thomas
5. Ryan Johnson

In my opinion these are the top 5 from MSU.

I haven't seen a corner shut down a receiver like Joey Thomas could in 1-AA. He and Clarence Moore (NAU) had a few very good matchups. Ryan Johnson was a workhorse and holds the record for rushing yards at MSU. Jan Stenerud, the only kicker in the NFL hall of fame. Bill Kollar was a first round draft choice by the Green Bay Packers. Corey Widmer was a beast of a defensive lineman and played for the Giants in the NFL.

blueballs
November 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM

1.Foster
2.Mohring
3.Covington
4.Lewis
5.McCutchen

I think they are talking about five best all time and none of these guys even come close to the top five, let alone top 10 or even 15.

The GSU top 5 would be:

1. Ham
1a. Peterson

and here's where the fun starts

3. Gross
4. Hill

and here's where the real debate starts

5. Austin, Pesqueria, Williams, McGrath, Clarke, Stokes, Boone, Pike, Ross, Smith, Brusseletti, and about two dozen others who were multiple all americans or all conference and championship players..

andy7171
November 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Is this based on success in the NFL or just in your school history?
1-Dave Meggett
2-Sean Landetta
3-Tony Vinson
4-Chad Scott (transferred to Maryland when Towson dropped scholarships in 1995)
5-Andy Rehkemper - perhaps the most underrated Offensive lineman in the history of I-AA football :)

BillLuc1982
November 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM
It's based on performance in college ball.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
hard to pick, but...

1. Tracy Ham (QB, 1986)
2. Adrian Peterson (FB, 2001)
3. Greg Hill (QB, 1999)
4. Raymond Gross (QB, 1990)
5. Kiluake Thomas (S, 1999)

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm.....(Not in Order)

Joe Delaney
Mark Duper
Gary Reasons
Jackie Smith
Craig Nall --- (Gotta put a Recent Name Up There)

That's 5 off the Top of My Head..

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
1) Charles Haley
2) Gary Clark
3) Curtis Keaton
4) Ed Perry
5) Justin Rascati

Honorable Mentions: Macey Brooks, Delvin Joyce, Mike Cawley

Ed Perry was the long snapper for the Dolphins forever!!

I give Rascati the nod over Cawley because I think he's more of a winner (read this week's A-10 den) both on and off the field. Plus, you can't leave off the guy who delivered the first NC.

Pard94
November 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
In the modern era for Lafayette I would go with:

1. Eric Marsh
2. Frank Bauer
3. Tommy Costello
4. Maurice Bennet
5. Stephen Bono

Seven Would Be Nice
November 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Thats this year, gimme an all time list

My bad.. and ya Blueballs is correct, these guys are great but don't reach the all time list. Foster might have if we hadn't changed our offense and he had three solid years at QB.

UNHFan99
November 10th, 2006, 01:50 PM

1. Eric Marsh
2. Frank Bauer
3. Tommy Costello
4. Maurice Bennet
5. Stephen Bono

Franky Bauer was my neighbor growing up and Bill Russo was my Head Coach at prep school. He was one heck of a QB. He was supposed to go to BC but they pulled the offer last minute.

90'sasuguy
November 10th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

What about Josh Jeffries (Miracle on the Mountain), Matt Stevens, Avery Hall? All good choices.

BTW... Great forum

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
It's tough to just pick 5, but her some standouts.

1. Stephen Starring
2. Buford Jordan
3. Kerry Joseph
4. Zack Bronson
5. B.J. Sams

Boy, I tell ya, it IS tough to pick a top 5. But mine would be:

1) Leonard Smith
2) Buford Jordan
3) Stephan Starring
4) Kerry Joseph
5) B.J. Sams

They also had a great cornerback during the late 70s and early 80s who was drafted by the NFL but whose name I can't remember.

Came Back to edit and note that a Northwestern State fan DID comment...but you can see what I mean.

I'd like to see a Northwestern State fan post on this. Here's some from that school:

1) Joe Delaney
2) Gary Reasons
3) Bobby Hebert
4) Mark Duper
5) Terrence McGee

And I'm sure a Demon fan can come up with a lot more. That school really has had a lot of talent go through. Their 1998 team, for instance, had 5 defensive players on it drafted by the NFL...including all four members of the secondary.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I give Rascati the nod over Cawley because I think he's more of a winner (read this week's A-10 den) both on and off the field. Plus, you can't leave off the guy who delivered the first NC.

If that was the case shouldn't you just list all 5 starting offensive linemen from that team and call it a day??? ;)

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
If that was the case shouldn't you just list all 5 starting offensive linemen from that team and call it a day??? ;)

There's a modicum of truth in that!!:D :D

Back n Black
November 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

Solid Top 5, but by the end of the season you can probably replace Davon Fowlkes with Marques Murrell.:thumbsup:

yosef1969
November 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM

My knowledge of I-AA prior to 1986 is admittedly very limited I but if we're talking performance in college I have a time hard to leaving Leonard Lee off this list.

Not in order:
Dino Hackett
Dexter Coakley
John Settle
Matt Stevens
Leonard Lee

rmutv
November 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Robert Morris University (formerly Robert Morris College) began football in 1993. Coach Joe Walton has been here all thirteen years. The top five players in those thirteen years, plus a few honorable mentions:

1. Tim Hall RB (1994-1995, NFL career with Oakland before being shot to death in Kansas City. Hall would be all time RMU rushing leader had he played more than two seasons)

2. Sammy Dorsett RB (1999-2003, all time rushing leader at RMU)

3. Tim Levcik QB (1998-2001, all time passing leader at RMU. Currently in the Arena Football League)

4. Tyjuan Massey WR (2002-2005, all time leader in every receiving category at RMU. Cut from Montreal of the CFL, attending classes and preparing for a possible stint with Colorado of the Arena League)

5. James Noel LB (2002-2005, all time tackles leader by over 100 tackles)

Honorable mentions: DE Ray Gensler (all time sacks leader), DB Robb Butler (bounced around NFL), OL Hank Fraley (actually fairly rough years at RMU, earned enough attention to work a spot with the Steelers before catching on and becoming the starting center for the Eagles until being traded to Cleveland this year).

Peems
November 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Montana IMO

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Terry Dillon
3. Joe Douglass
4. Tim Hauck

what about bob beers? or Jason Crebo? i think they are ahead of hilliard and of course Jimmy Farris.

Peems
November 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Montana State University

1. Bill Kollar
2. Jan Stenerud
3. Corey Widmer
4. Joey Thomas
5. Ryan Johnson

I haven't seen a corner shut down a receiver like Joey Thomas could in 1-AA. He and Clarence Moore (NAU) had a few very good matchups. Ryan Johnson was a workhorse and holds the record for rushing yards at MSU. Jan Stenerud, the only kicker in the NFL hall of fame. Bill Kollar was a first round draft choice by the Green Bay Packers. Corey Widmer was a beast of a defensive lineman and played for the Giants in the NFL.

what about lulay? i would say he was better than thomas and johnson.

mtgrizfan4life
November 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Here it goes, and I know I am leaving out some very good skill position players and guys prior to the 70's. Am only going back during my lifetime.

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Doug Betters
3. Scott Gragg
4. Tim Hauck
5. Guy Bingham

Honorable mention
Jimmy Faris, Yo Humphrey, Lex Hillard (may move into top 5 soon), Craig Ochs, Justin Green, Vince Huntsberger, Blaine McElmurry, Brian Salonen (sp?), Joe Douglass, Dylan McFarland, Cory Proctor, Thatcher Szalay, Jason Crebo, Etu Molden, Drew Miller, Brian Ah Yat, Kris Snyder

Peems
November 10th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Here it goes, and I know I am leaving out some very good skill position players and guys prior to the 70's. Am only going back during my lifetime.

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Doug Betters
3. Scott Gragg
4. Tim Hauck
5. Guy Bingham

Honorable mention
Jimmy Faris, Yo Humphrey, Lex Hillard (may move into top 5 soon), Craig Ochs, Justin Green, Vince Huntsberger, Blaine McElmurry, Brian Salonen (sp?), Joe Douglass, Dylan McFarland, Cory Proctor, Thatcher Szalay, Jason Crebo, Etu Molden, Drew Miller, Brian Ah Yat, Kris Snyder

i agree about betters he was great. but still what about guys like petek and bush. bush is all time sack leader here and i would say he goes ahead of some of those honorable mentions.

bcrawf
November 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
UNI All-Time (Pro and College Success)

1. Kurt Warner QB- Rams, Giants, Cardinals
2. Bryce Paup LB- Packers, Bills
3. Dedric Ward WR- Jets, Cowboys, Patriots
4. Brad Meester C- Jaguars
5. Kenny Shedd/ Benny Sapp/ Mike Furrey- Too Hard to Choose!

McNeese72
November 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
It's tough to just pick 5, but here are some standouts.

1. Stephen Starring
2. Buford Jordan
3. Kerry Joseph
4. Zack Bronson
5. B.J. Sams

A few of the older ones were Don Breaux, Darrell Lester, Tom Sestak, and Merlin Walet. Some others from the Stephan Starring and Bufford Jordan era were Leonard Smith, Bryan Hicks, and Keith Ortego. (Keith Ortego was one of the white guys who couldn't dance on the Chicago Bears Super Bowl Shuffle video. Bryan HIcks got a Superbowl ring with Cinncinnati). From the Kerry Joseph and Zack Bronson era, you'd have to mention Kavika Pittman.

Doc

mtgrizfan4life
November 10th, 2006, 07:02 PM
And other times my memory escapes me, Bush and Petek should be on the honorable list too, and for names sake alone, have to add Adam Boomer (not sure of 1st name, being I am not looking it up) and Tuff Harris (great football names).

mainejeff
November 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
For Maine:

1. Mike Buck
2. Carl Smith
3. Jake Eaton
4. Stephen Cooper
5. Sergio Hebra

GOTOREROS
November 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM
USD Top 5 Players:

1. Eric Rasmussen QB 2000-2003
3. Josh Johnson QB 2003-active
2. Adam Hannula WR 2002-2005
3. Dylan Ching RB 1996-1999
4. Michael Gasperson WR 2001-2004

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Very well...

1.)Corey Davis
2.)Matt Magerko
3.)Harry Dunn
4.)George Burns
5.)Leon Steinfeld
;)

Longhorn
November 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM
1) Charles Haley
2) Gary Clark
3) Curtis Keaton
4) Ed Perry
5) Justin Rascati

Honorable Mentions: Macey Brooks, Delvin Joyce, Mike Cawley

No argument about the your top 5 list...but assuming this is based on their college careers, I'd add Derrick Lloyd, Chris Morant, Tony Booth and Tony LeZotte to the honorable mention list from the defensve side, and Leon Steinfeld, Matt Magerko and Cory Davis on the offensive side. :smiley_wi

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM
No argument about the your top 5 list...but assuming this is based on their college careers, I'd add Derrick Lloyd, Chris Morant, Tony Booth and Tony LeZotte to the honorable mention list from the defensve side, and Leon Steinfeld, Matt Magerko and Cory Davis on the offensive side. :smiley_wi

That is no lie!! I'm pretty hammered, but Tony Booth was the f'in man!! He was our one shining star during a *cough* time of turmoil.

And I saw Chirs Morant sack a guy with his helmet off!! Why's he our running back's coach?

poly51
November 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM
For Cal Poly;
Robbie Martin WR 1980
Mel Kaufman LB 1980
Jordan Beck LB 2004
Chris Gocong DE 2005
Alex Bravo RB 1953

XJMU84
November 10th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Definately Derrick Lloyd (he won 2001 Buchanon Award) Also add RB - Warren Marshall to the Honorable mention list (played for Denver Broncos after college) and also RB - Chuck May who was a bruising runner who played for the USFL, Chicago Blitz after JMU

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2006, 11:53 PM
SIU (my opinion only, some tough calls)
top 5 Pros
1. Jim Hart QB (St. Louis football Cardinal)
2. Kevin House WR (Tampa Bay Bucs)
3. Carl Mauck C (Houston Oilers)
4. Lionel Antoine OL (Chicago Bears)
5. Terry Taylor (Seattle Seahawks?)
At some point Bart Scott of the Baltimore Ravens or Brandon Jacobs of the NY Giants might move up this list, but they are still playing.

top 5 college careers at SIU
1. Tom Koutsos RB 52 TDs at SIU for "Touchdown Tommy"
2. Rick Johnson QB 400 career competions and QB of the 1983 National Championship team.
3. Cornell Craig WR 207 receptions for 3508 yards in his career.
4. Craig Coffin K All time leading scorer for the Gateway, still playing
5. Joel Sambursky QB 5199 yards passing in his career, 3 conference titles

seantaylor
November 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM
1. AP
2. Tracy Ham
3. Greg Hill
4. Kiwaukee Thomas
5. John Mohring

Honorable Mention: Earthwind Moreland, David Young, Mike Ward, Fred Stokes, Freddie Pesquiera, Raymond Gross, Jermaine Austin

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 12:48 AM
which is why I said feel free to dissect C

Would you agree that Richie is atleast in the top 5?

as for my spelling, picky picky:smiley_wi
Not sure if Richie Williams would make my top five, or not. He would be close if he didn't. His leadership and the championship have to count for a lot.

The no-brainers are Dexter Coakley, Dino Hackett, John Settle and Matt Stevens. There would be a lot of lively debate for about a dozen candidates for No. 5.

Some people mentioned Marques Murrell and Josh Jeffries. While they were/are great players, I don't know that they are even the best DEs that App State has had. A lot of people think Avery Hall was pretty good (unfortunately, I missed his playing career by a year). The defensive coordinator for ASU doesn't even think that Murrell is the best player on his defense right now. He always says Jeremy Wiggins is. Murrell is a great player, but he has gotten more hype from the ASU SID office than almost any player that the Mountaineers have ever had. I thought that Jason Hunter was better than Murrell last season, but Murrell was the one on the Buchanan watch list and the one that made all of the All-American first teams. The one big plus for Murrell is his consistency for four years. Another current player to keep on the radar is guard Kerry Brown. That kid has the capacity to do some great things before he is through at ASU and he has a bright NFL future ahead of him. By the time Brown is done, we probably will talk of him as the best offensive lineman at ASU of all-time.

Not trying to be picky on DaVon Fowlkes' spelling. Just trying to educate. His name gets misspelled a lot.

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM
SIU (my opinion only, some tough calls)
top 5 Pros
1. Jim Hart QB (St. Louis football Cardinal)
2. Kevin House WR (Tampa Bay Bucs)
3. Carl Mauck C (Houston Oilers)
4. Lionel Antoine OL (Chicago Bears)
5. Terry Taylor (Seattle Seahawks?)
At some point Bart Scott of the Baltimore Ravens or Brandon Jacobs of the NY Giants might move up this list, but they are still playing.

top 5 college careers at SIU
1. Tom Koutsos RB 52 TDs at SIU for "Touchdown Tommy"
2. Rick Johnson QB 400 career competions and QB of the 1983 National Championship team.
3. Cornell Craig WR 207 receptions for 3508 yards in his career.
4. Craig Coffin K All time leading scorer for the Gateway, still playing
5. Joel Sambursky QB 5199 yards passing in his career, 3 conference titles
I know that Koutsos was solid for four years, but how about Muhammed Abdulqaadir. He was sure dynamic for a couple of years. Arkee Whitlock and Brandon Jacobs (even though he was a short-timer) are a couple of others to consider.

thirdgendin
November 11th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I'm having a tough time ranking Furman's top five. And I'm not even sure if I like the list I came up with. Oh well! :rotateh:

1. Louis Ivory, RB (1998-01) - Walter Payton winner
2. Stanford Jennings, RB (1980-83) - 3-time SoCon POTY; Super Bowl kickoff return for TD
3. Ingle Martin, QB (2004-05) - I debated this a lot, but he did set most career passing records in only 2 seasons
4. Will Bouton, LB (1998-01) - twice SoCon POTY and 1st team all-American
5. Jeff Blankenship, LB (1985-88) - 1st team all-American and SoCon POTY; if only for the interception to seal the national title in '88

Honorable Mention: John Keith, Kelly Fletcher, Kevin Kendrick, Bobby Lamb, Frankie DeBusk, Orlando Ruff, Carl Tremble (all-time leading rusher in the SoCon at the end of his career), and lots of offensive lineman that I couldn't begin to single out.

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM

DO-DO......WAS YANKEE CONFERENCE....CAREER RUSHIN' YARDAGE CHAMP.........AS HE WAVED BYE-BYE........TA DELAWARE STADIUM.....xsmileyclapx.....BRAWK!

MAH LIST:

GANNON/NAGY............QB's
DARYL BROWN............FB
EDDIE CONTE.............WR
CONWAY HAYMAN.......G
DARRELL BOOKER.......MLB
SAM MILLER................DE....(JOHNSON WASN'T UH HOMER)

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I know that Koutsos was solid for four years, but how about Muhammed Abdulqidur (don't remember the spelling). He was sure dynamic for a couple of years. Arkee Whitlock and Brandon Jacobs (even though he was a short-timer) are a couple of others to consider.
The runners you mention were all solid, but Tommy put up the best numbers over his college career. Jacobs only played one year at SIU, so he is a guy who could have a better pro career than what he showed here. Abdulqaadir had an incredible season in 2002 scoring 21 TDs but Tommy still had the best overall career. Arkee would need over a thousand more yards to catch the 4715 Tommy put up in his career. He has a better shot at the TD record if The Dawgs go deep in the playoffs. He still needs a dozen to catch Tommy there (52-40)..

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
UMASS

Greg Landry
Milt Morin
Bruce Kimball
Marcel Shipp
Koye Ayi

fuEMO
November 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I'm having a tough time ranking Furman's top five. And I'm not even sure if I like the list I came up with. Oh well! :rotateh:

1. Louis Ivory, RB (1998-01) - Walter Payton winner
2. Stanford Jennings, RB (1980-83) - 3-time SoCon POTY; Super Bowl kickoff return for TD
3. Ingle Martin, QB (2004-05) - I debated this a lot, but he did set most career passing records in only 2 seasons
4. Will Bouton, LB (1998-01) - twice SoCon POTY and 1st team all-American
5. Jeff Blankenship, LB (1985-88) - 1st team all-American and SoCon POTY; if only for the interception to seal the national title in '88

Honorable Mention: John Keith, Kelly Fletcher, Kevin Kendrick, Bobby Lamb, Frankie DeBusk, Orlando Ruff, Carl Tremble (all-time leading rusher in the SoCon at the end of his career), and lots of offensive lineman that I couldn't begin to single out.

Great start… I'm going with a little different list.

1) Frankie DeBusk – National title in 88, should have been another in 89, and led the Paladins into the quarters in 90.

2) Jeff Blankenship – Led some of the best Furman defenses in history, and was the man on the 88 defense.

3) Louis Ivory – Great balance, Payton winner, injury limited his pro playing options.

4) Stanford Jennings – Smooth, graceful, played a key role in starting the modern tradition of quality runningbacks at Furman.

5) Bobby Lamb – The best option quarterback I've ever seen play at Furman or anywhere for that matter. Beat 3 IA schools in his carrear.

Outside looking in: Ingle Martin, Will Bouton, Carl Tremble.
My personal favorites that I've seen play: David Whitehurst, Mike Glenn, Ike West, Chaz Fox, Jay Their, Mark Rudder

LarryBoy
November 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM

1) Frankie DeBusk – National title in 88, should have been another in 89, and led the Paladins into the quarters in 90.

2) Jeff Blankenship – Led some of the best Furman defenses in history, and was the man on the 88 defense.

3) Louis Ivory – Great balance, Payton winner, injury limited his pro playing options.

4) Stanford Jennings – Smooth, graceful, played a key role in starting the modern tradition of quality runningbacks at Furman.

5) Bobby Lamb – The best option quarterback I've ever seen play at Furman or anywhere for that matter. Beat 3 IA schools in his carrear.

My personal favorites that I've seen play: David Whitehurst, Mike Glenn, Ike West, Chaz Fox, Jay Their, Mark Rudder

Wow...the exact same list I was thinking of. I wonder, when all is said and done, where Jerome will fit in. He'll own every Furman scoring record in the book...does that put him up there with these guys?

To add to the honorable mentions: Bear Rinehart, Brian Bratton, William Freeman, Justin Hill

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM

If you're talking Furman quarterbacks, don't forget Sam Wyche. He may have been the best one to ever come down the pike for the Paladins. He definitely had the most significant post-Furman career.

As good as Louis Ivory might have been, I think most people would think you were nuts to rate him ahead of Stanford Jennings. Of course Jennings didn't have anything like the Payton Award to compete for. Also, even without injuries, Ivory was viewed as an extremely borderline pro prospect. There were also some questions about his work-ethic, rehab-ethic when he attempted to get into the NFL. Jennings, on the other hand, established a pro career. Jennings was a player I was aware of, even though I was on the west coast when he was playing at Furman.

Ingle Martin only played two years at Furman, but he was a major reason the Paladins were in position to make national championship runs each year. I think a lot of people in I-AA think that the Paladins should have run the table in 2004. Martin is one of those players whose contributions will grow on you over time. If you made another list in a few years, people will probably give this classy quarterback more credit.

It's got to be pretty tough making a list of five Furman players. You probably could make a list rather easily of 50, considering how many great athletes have come through there over the years.

Jacks02
November 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
These are just off the top of my head from recent memory, I know South Dakota State had some NFL guys in the 70's and 80's, an old-timer will have to add those, these are guys from my era!

1. Adam Vinatieri
2. Josh Ranek
3. Adam Timmerman
4. Steve Heiden
5. Doug Miller

Chi Panther
November 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Could throw Berlin in the #5......but the top 4.....you hit the nail on the head......

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Montana IMO

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Terry Dillon
3. Joe Douglass
4. Tim Hauck

I don't know DD, UM has put out some pretty good offensive linemen that have had LONG careers at the next level...

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM
The runners you mention were all solid, but Tommy put up the best numbers over his college career. Jacobs only played one year at SIU, so he is a guy who could have a better pro career than what he showed here. Abdulqaadir had an incredible season in 2002 scoring 21 TDs but Tommy still had the best overall career. Arkee would need over a thousand more yards to catch the 4715 Tommy put up in his career. He has a better shot at the TD record if The Dawgs go deep in the playoffs. He still needs a dozen to catch Tommy there (52-40)..
Whitlock has played only three years at Southern Illinois, while Koutsos played in five (including part of a year where he was injured and earned a medical redshirt). And in Whitlock's first year, he was sharing carries with Brandon Jacobs and Terry Jackson (another pretty good back).

Mr. C
November 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM
A few of the older ones were Don Breaux, Darrell Lester, Tom Sestak, and Merlin Walet. Some others from the Stephan Starring and Bufford Jordan era were Leonard Smith, Bryan Hicks, and Keith Ortego. (Keith Ortego was one of the white guys who couldn't dance on the Chicago Bears Super Bowl Shuffle video. Bryan HIcks got a Superbowl ring with Cinncinnati). From the Kerry Joseph and Zack Bronson era, you'd have to mention Kavika Pittman.

Doc
Tom Sestak. Now there is a name from the past. He had a good career with the Buffalo Bills in the old AFL. I probably still have his 1966 football card down in my basement. He was a similar player to Appalachian State's Larry Hand (the former Detroit Lion, who had his jersey retired this year at ASU) in that they were both real versatile linemen, who could play offensive, or defense as the need arose.

thirdgendin
November 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM

A great list as well. Frankie was a winner, and I'll take that over stats any day.

Let me add another honorable mention: Danny Marshall. I sure miss his consistency! Ernest Gibson probably deserves mention as well.

blackfordpu
November 11th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Sam Houston:
1. DD Terry
2. Brandon Perry
3. Blake Martin
4. Ed Jackson
5. Offensive Line (gotta put this one as one player :))

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM
A great list as well. Frankie was a winner, and I'll take that over stats any day.

Let me add another honorable mention: Danny Marshall. I sure miss his consistency! Ernest Gibson probably deserves mention as well.

Jerome Felton will soon be added to the list. He's going to break all kinds of records by the time he graduates.

GeeWiz
November 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
For Northeastern ...

1) TE - The late Dan Ross :bawling:
2) DE - Sean Jones
3) DT - Keith Willis
4) RB - Bob Cappadona
5) DE - Darin Jordan

xsmileyclapx

Honorable mention - LB Liam Ezekiel, QB, Jim Murphy, QB Sean Brady, OT Jerome Daniels, RB Brian Vaughn, WR Dave Klemic, WR Mike Williams.

http://gonu.com/football/archives/legends.html

Souza
November 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
This is easier for me...

Coastal in my opinion:

Thigpen
Simpson
Patrick Hall
Perkins
Quinton Teal

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Whitlock has played only three years at Southern Illinois, while Koutsos played in five (including part of a year where he was injured and earned a medical redshirt). And in Whitlock's first year, he was sharing carries with Brandon Jacobs and Terry Jackson (another pretty good back).
Both are great backs. Unfortunately, Arkee is a senior and has almost no chance of catching Tommy on either of his school records with only one regular season game left. He might have a shot at the TD record with a deep run in the playoffs. His 4 TDs yesterday against UNI makes that one more feasible. If Arkee had started his career here a year earlier rather than playing a year at Coffeyville JC, things might have been different. Then again, we might not have heard of him without the Coffeyville connection. He might not have gotten much playing time as he would have been behind Abdulqaadir (1331 yards, 6.8 yds/carry, 20 TDS) and Brandon Robinson (727 yards, 5.5 yds/carry) as a freshman. Whitlock probably has an NFL career in his future, which Koutsos did not.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM

1. Eric Marsh
2. Frank Bauer
3. Tommy Costello
4. Maurice Bennet
5. Stephen Bono

Pard94, how have you defined "Modern Era"? I am having the same problem answering this regarding Colgate.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
DO-DO......WAS YANKEE CONFERENCE....CAREER RUSHIN' YARDAGE CHAMP.........AS HE WAVED BYE-BYE........TA DELAWARE STADIUM.....xsmileyclapx.....BRAWK!

MAH LIST:

GANNON/NAGY............QB's
DARYL BROWN............FB
EDDIE CONTE.............WR
CONWAY HAYMAN.......G
DARRELL BOOKER.......MLB
SAM MILLER................DE....(JOHNSON WASN'T UH HOMER)

Mr. Chicken, just out of curiosity, why not Scott Brunner? I always thought he was a great QB at UD.

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
GATE LAD................DIDN'T CHOOSE SCOTTY.....'CAUSE AS YOU CAN TELL.......AH ALREADY EXTENDED MY PICKS TA SEVEN......AH WAS TRYIN' TA GIVE UH TOTAL PICTURE O' BLUEHEN FOOTBALL STARS.........THERE WERE WAY MO' DAN 5...(ALL DUH KNUCKLE-DRAGGERS CUDDAH NAMED.....ALOT MO').........HAD TA LIMIT DUH CHOICES.......BRUNNER....WAS UH 2 YEAR LETTERMAN 1978-79....HE LED DUH CHICKENS TA DUH '79 D-II NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP......DUSTIN' DUH 'GUINS O' STEEL CITY..........38-21........NAMED AMERICAN FOOTBALL COACHES ALL-AMERICAN FO' '79...(134-268 2401 YDS. 24 TD'S).....DRAFTED IN 6TH ROUND...1980 NFL DRAFT......3 YR STINT...IN NEW YORK.......DEN DID TIME FO' DUH BRONCOS...PACKERS...&...CARDS.....512-1046 6457 YDS 29 TD'S...54 INTS?....HE HAD BASICALLY UH 50%..COMPLETION RATE COLLEGE/PRO.....:p...BAWK!

FUtilitspurple
November 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM

6) RJ Webb....just a feeling.

If it was based on pure talent, Ingle would have to be in the top 5.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 08:54 PM
OK, here goes. I have arbitrarily picked 1970 - present:

1. Mark Van Eeghen (1971-73)

2. Doug Curtis (1975-78)

3. Rich Erenberg (1980-83)

4. Greg Manusky (1984-87)

5. Kenny Gamble (1984-87)

6. (alternate) Ryan Vena (1996-99)

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
1. Phil Hansen
2. Kyle Steffes
3. Lamar Gordon
4. Tyrone Braxton
5. Mike Favor

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'd list the five, but since they're all before 1950, chances are no one would recognize the names.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM
For Elon:

1) Rich McGeorge
2) Chad Nkang
3) Joey Hackett
4) Bobby Hedrick
5) Quinton Ballard

Most are old players from the NAIA glory days of the program

Maroons
November 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM
This is hard... I can't rank 'em... but here are 5 contenders...

Wally Chambers (8th overall draft pick, 73 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, 73 Pro Bowler)
Aaron Marsh (68 AFL Rookie of the Year)
Chad Bratzke (10 year NFL career, led Colts in sacks for three straight years)
Myron Guyton (Starting free safety for the Giants in Super Bowl XXV)
Aaron Jones (88 first round draft pick)

letsgopards04
November 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM

1. Eric Marsh
2. Frank Bauer
3. Tommy Costello
4. Maurice Bennet
5. Stephen Bono

Maybe throw in Yarborough.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I'd list the five, but since they're all before 1950, chances are no one would recognize the names.

Go for it, for all of us old farts! :thumbsup:

Proud Griz Man
November 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Doug Betters
3. Scott Gragg
4. Tim Hauck
5. Guy Bingham

Honorable mention

Great list. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I have heard that Terry Dillon was an amazing defensive back and his skills would rank up amongst highest BSC players (his career was cut short by the tragic road construction accident- played for Minnesota Vikings early 1960's).
Also heard Steve Okoniewski was a great player (Atlanta Falcons early 1970's).
You should mention Rocky Klever too.

Tribe4SF
November 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
From Tribe's I-AA years.

-Darren Sharper
-Lang Campbell
-Robert Green
-Steve Christie
-Rich Musinski

And a sixth who belongs- Michael "Pinball" Clemons.

From the I-A years

- "Flying" Jack Cloud
- Lou Creekmur (Won Jacobs Blocking Trophy and is in the NFL Hall of Fame)
- Knox Ramsey
- Buster Ramsey
- David Knight

BULLDOG8180
November 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
This is hard, but IMHO, for The Citadel I would say these are the top 5.

1. Lavonia "Stump" Mitchell RB 1977-1980
2. John Small LB late 60's consensius ALL AMERICAN (before I-AA)
3. Lester Smith S 1989-1992
4. Brian Ruff LB 1973-1976
5. Jack Douglas 1989-1992

These are based on college performance only and based on career.

Paul McGuire would certainly deserve mentioning.

one season stars would include:
Jeff Klein
Cliff Washburn
Gene Brown

Crashola
November 12th, 2006, 11:24 PM
These are just off the top of my head from recent memory, I know South Dakota State had some NFL guys in the 70's and 80's, an old-timer will have to add those, these are guys from my era!

1. Adam Vinatieri
2. Josh Ranek
3. Adam Timmerman
4. Steve Heiden
5. Doug Miller

Um, yeah. You may want to add Jim Langer -- NFL Hall of Fame center who anchored the Dolphins O-Line during the 70s.

Because the question seeks players based on college performance, I would personally put Ranek at the top of the SDSU list.

Redbird Fan 21
November 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I was really hoping someone else from ISU had posted but unless i missed it..no one has...

I am not as familar with Past ISU teams as many being that i am only 22 yrs old.

Here is my top 5 in no particular order just from past to present...

Estus Hood
Mike Prior
Boomer Grigsby
Brent Hawkins
Laurent Robinson

Anyone else wanna throw any in there...i am sure i have forgetting some people or some guys i have never heard of???

Mr. C
November 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Jeff Klein
Cliff Washburn
Gene Brown
Is Travis Jervey anywhere close to your top five? I know that the Bulldogs were starting to slip at the end of Jervey's days in Charleston, but I always thought he was a real good player and, of course, he was an All-Pro special teams player in the NFL.

CopperCat
November 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM
1. Travis Lulay
2. Joe Bignell
3. Kane Ioane
4. Kelly Bradley
5. Ryan Johnson

I realize there are others that might be put on the list, but I really think all these guys did something during their time. Kane Ioane was kinda the dark horse here, but he was an ANIMAL in his time, and really helped spark the defense to end "the streak."

BULLDOG8180
November 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Is Travis Jervey anywhere close to your top five? I know that the Bulldogs were starting to slip at the end of Jervey's days in Charleston, but I always thought he was a real good player and, of course, he was an All-Pro special teams player in the NFL.

Travis's last season was 1994, he was a 1000 yd rusher his senior season. This was the only season that he started, he is not in the top 10 in career rushing yards. His 1994 season does rank him 5th for single season rushing. That season he did average 7.7 yds/carry. While an outstanding athlete, he had the misfortune of playing behind an outstanding fullback in Everette Sands for 3 years.

That being said, with the careers of the 5 that I listed, plus others like
Greg Davis K, Andrew Johnson RB, the before mentioned Everette Sands RB, Nehemiah Broughton RB, plus others, Travis probably would not make my top 10, based on career performance.

Based on his senior season, he would make the top ten in a single season list.

blueballs
November 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
This is hard... I can't rank 'em... but here are 5 contenders...

Wally Chambers (8th overall draft pick, 73 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, 73 Pro Bowler)
Aaron Marsh (68 AFL Rookie of the Year)
Chad Bratzke (10 year NFL career, led Colts in sacks for three straight years)
Myron Guyton (Starting free safety for the Giants in Super Bowl XXV)
Aaron Jones (88 first round draft pick)

How about Elroy Harris? He was a beast.

blueballs
November 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Jeff Klein
Cliff Washburn
Gene Brown

I really liked Travis Stevens (I think that's his name) who played LB for El Cid in the late 90's early 00's. He was a player.

Walkon79
November 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Montana State University

1. Bill Kollar
2. Jan Stenerud
3. Corey Widmer
4. Joey Thomas
5. Ryan Johnson

Not a bad list, but mine would look slightly different.

Mark Fellows in place of Joey Thomas. Mark was an NFL lock with the Chargers until he broke his hip in a pre-season game his rookie season. And besides, gotta have the best player from our last NC team in 1984.

Don Hass (Iron Tumbleweed) and Ryan Johnson are a toss-up at RB, IMO, but you gotta pick one or the other if we're listing only 5. I was fortunate to witness both play in their biggest games, Something like 305 and 269 yards rushing respectively.

Also having trouble leaving Sam McCullum off the list. Had a very good career with the Vikings in the 70's, but can't bump Kolar, Stenerud, or Widmer.

Finally it pains me a little to leave Travis Lulay off the list, but hey, this is all time and I'm partial to defense and the running game from a historical perspective.

Can't we make this a top ten?

Mr. C
April 6th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Was doing a Goggle search tonight and ran into a nice, old thread from six years ago that ought to be resurrected. Has anyone's thoughts changed on this subject in the past few years?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Was doing a Goggle search tonight and ran into a nice, old thread from six years ago that ought to be resurrected. Has anyone's thoughts changed on this subject in the past few years?

Nice find Mr. C. I'm gonna have to go through this again if I even caught it the first time.

slostang
April 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Cal Poly:

Chris Gocong
Ramses Barden
Jordan Beck
Kyle Shotwell
Mel Kaufman

frozennorth
April 6th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I wonder which players since this thread was started would be added to their schools list? Armanti edwards (ASU), Bo Levi Mitchell (EWU), and Steve Walker (NDSU) are three that come immediately to mind.

TheRevSFA
April 6th, 2012, 06:54 AM
SFA (in no particular order)

Jeremiah Trotter
Todd Hammell
Jeremy Moses (I have to put the only Payton Award winner in there)
Larry Centers
Derrick Blaylock

Can I also mention Bum Phillips? He did letter in football back in 48

StorminASU
April 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I wonder which players since this thread was started would be added to their schools list? Armanti edwards (ASU), Bo Levi Mitchell (EWU), and Steve Walker (NDSU) are three that come immediately to mind.

I was reading this thread, not noticing the dates, and kept wondering how so many ASU people were leaving off AE, haha. Mr. C's post #112 keyed me in on the fact that I didn't hallucinate four great years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Was noticing a certain someone conspicuously missing from the below list from the OP. Then I saw my post in this thread and noticed the year.

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

Jayson Foster would now get extra consideration for GSU IMO.

asumike83
April 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
1) Armanti Edwards
2) Dexter Coakley
3) Dino Hackett
4) Kevin Richardson
5) John Settle

Honorable mention to DaVon Fowlkes, Jason Hunter, D.J. Smith, Brian Quick and Richie Williams

SFA 93
April 6th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Agree with Rev except on one

FB: Larry Centers (1986-1989)
QB: Todd Hammel (1986-1989)
FS: Cedric Walker (1990-1993)
LB: Jeremiah Trotter (1997-2000)
QB: Jeremy Moses (2007-2010)

TheRevSFA
April 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Agree with Rev except on one

FB: Larry Centers (1986-1989)
QB: Todd Hammel (1986-1989)
FS: Cedric Walker (1990-1993)
LB: Jeremiah Trotter (1997-2000)
QB: Jeremy Moses (2007-2010)

I know..I know I forgot Cedric...shame on me

TheValleyRaider
April 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
1. Mark Van Eeghen (1971-73)

2. Doug Curtis (1975-78)

3. Rich Erenberg (1980-83)

4. Greg Manusky (1984-87)

5. Kenny Gamble (1984-87)

6. (alternate) Ryan Vena (1996-99)

Add 5 seasons and see what happens....

Jordan Scott and Nate Eachus have to merit consideration here, though that's a pretty good list. Maybe Pat Simonds, but it's hard to leave one of those others off at this point

Quite a blast from the past. A few poster names on this thread I haven't seen for a long time either....

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
This is fun to see how things have changed a little. It's tough to think of a top five for Montana, but here is my stab at it.

1. Davey D
2. Marc Mariani
3. Kroy Biermann
4. Chase Reynolds
5. Tim Hauck

That was a tough list to put together, especially considering how many greats we have had in the six years since this thread started. I am curious where guys like Colt Anderson, Trumaine Johnson, Caleb McSurdy and a whole host of others would fall on the list. The more I think about it, the harder this list is to create.

LakesBison
April 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM
NDSU:

Joe Mays (3 year nfl starter)
Tyrone Braxton (great cb in nfl for 7 years)
Phil Hansen (avg player in 4 super bowls)
Marcus Williams (will be highest drafted)
Craig Dahl (3 year nfl starter)

Tyler Roehl #6 if he didnt tear up his knee at seattle, he'd be a great nfl player he was a B E A S T !

Professor Chaos
April 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
NDSU:

Joe Mays (3 year nfl starter)
Tyrone Braxton (great cb in nfl for 7 years)
Phil Hansen (avg player in 4 super bowls)
Marcus Williams (will be highest drafted)
Craig Dahl (3 year nfl starter)

Tyler Roehl #6 if he didnt tear up his knee at seattle, he'd be a great nfl player he was a B E A S T !
We're talking college careers Lakes, not professional. Jeff Bentrim has to head the list at NDSU. I agree with Braxton and Hansen. The last two are tougher. Mays, Dahl, and Roehl certainly warrant consideration. Marcus has a good shot with two years left but he's not there yet. I'd go with:

1) Jeff Bentrim
2) Phil Hansen
3) Tyrone Braxton
4) Lamar Gordon
5) Chris Simdorn

cpalum
April 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cal Poly:

Chris Gocong
Ramses Barden
Jordan Beck
Kyle Shotwell
Mel Kaufman

Hey Slo... How do you think these guys would rank in a top 5 for Poly?

Kasim Osgood
Kamil Loud
Jonathan Dally
Seth Buford
Asa Jackson

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Furman:

1. Louis Ivory
2. Ingle Martin
3. Jerome Felton
4. Chas Fox
5. Orlando Ruff

bojeta
April 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I got to watch Jonathan Dally from his freshman year of high school through his two years at Hancock College and on to Cal Poly. I can't say enough good things about him and feel certain he was/is NFL caliber, but unfortunately, I think his lack of size hurt him. I think he did well in the European league, but I really haven't followed his career there. I also think Ryan Mole, who I watched from high school through college as well, should have landed at least a CFL contract. He's now working locally as a fitness trainer, but I'm hoping he hasn't given up on football. I have his little brother as a student right now, but I'm afraid Ryan grabbed all the athletic genes in the family so don't hold your breath lol...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Since we're talking about college performance, I used first team All-Conference as a primary criteria and selected from guys who earned that recognition for three seasons:

Ricky Santos QB
David Ball WR
Jerry Azumah RB
Ilia Jarostchuk LB
Bill Burnham RB (two time Kodak Coaches 1st Team AA, 2nd career leading rusher)

(the other two with three time 1st team status are Curtis Olds WR, Andre Garron RB)

Other serious consideration: Barry Bourassa RB, Steve Doig LB, Mike Foley DL, Dwayne Gordon LB, Corey Graham DB, Ken Kaplan OL, Dwayne Saab LB

Best NFL careers: Jerry Azumah DB, Dwayne Gordon LB, Corey Graham DB, Dan Kreider FB, Dwayne Saab LB with Bruce Huther LB and Randall Williams WR right with them.

cpalum
April 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I got to watch Jonathan Dally from his freshman year of high school through his two years at Hancock College and on to Cal Poly. I can't say enough good things about him and feel certain he was/is NFL caliber, but unfortunately, I think his lack of size hurt him. I think he did well in the European league, but I really haven't followed his career there.

That is why I asked. The thread said "college" career so I might agree with Slo's list if it was top 5 pro prospects but as far as skill in college....well, I think Dally makes that list without any question.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Since no one did a list for Lehigh i'll take a stab

1. Steve Krieder, WR
2. Will Rackley, OL
3. Phil Stambaugh, QB
4. Rich Owens, DE
5. Kim McQuilken, QB

The Historian
April 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Since noone did a list for Lehigh i'll take a stab

1. Steve Krieder, WR
2. Will Rackley, OL
3. Phil Stambaugh, QB
4. Rich Owens, DE
5. Kim McQuilken, QB

Abdullah belongs on this list.

darell1976
April 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
North Dakota:

WR Weston Dressler
RB Phillip Moore
DL Broc Bellmore
RB Shannon Burnell
LB Dean Witkowski

carney2
April 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
This thread is now officially 5 1/2 years old. Yet another attempt for Lafayette:

Frank Baur
Charlie Berry
Tony Green
Erik Marsh
Andy Romans

Brad82
April 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Rhody
Top 5 college Top 5 pro-Steve Furness,Jeff Williams,Bob White,Kevin Smith,Frank Ferrara
Tom Ehrhardt
Pat Abbruzzi
Brian Forster
Tony Deluca
Tony Hill

Screamin_Eagle174
April 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
For EWU:

1. Taiwan Jones.
2. Michael Roos.
3a. Erik Meyer
3b. Matt Nichols
3c. Bo Levi
4. J.C. Sherritt
5a. Eric Kimble
5b. Aaron Boyce
5c. Nick Edwards
5d. Brandon Kaufman

Bogus Megapardus
April 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
This thread is now officially 5 1/2 years old. Yet another attempt for Lafayette:

Frank Baur
Charlie Berry
Tony Green
Erik Marsh
Andy Romans

Tony Green! Man, I used to love watching that dude. He'd get triple-teamed and still break through.

We can't forget one hit wonder Fielding Yost, of course, who single-handedly intimidated Penn into yielding the first of Lafayette's three National Championships.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
So this is your 5 SE and I gotta tell ya I'd have Sherritt on there before Michols or Meyer, just slightly but before anyway. Not my school but I watched a lot of those games in the time frame so thought I'd object a little.

1. Taiwan Jones.
2. Michael Roos.
3 Erik Meyer
3 Matt Nichols
3 Bo Levi

clenz
April 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Tough to argue that one.

Only school in the nation (regardless of level) to have an NFL offensive and defensive MVP.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Tough to argue that one.

Only school in the nation (regardless of level) to have an NFL offensive and defensive MVP.

That's pretty cool. I guess I knew that but never really put it together.

BisonFan02
April 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM
North Dakota:

WR Weston Dressler
RB Phillip Moore
DL Broc Bellmore
RB Shannon Burnell
LB Dean Witkowski

No Kleinsasser?

UNHFootballAlum
April 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Since we're talking about college performance, I used first team All-Conference as a primary criteria and selected from guys who earned that recognition for three seasons:

Ricky Santos QB
David Ball WR
Jerry Azumah RB
Ilia Jarostchuk LB

(the other two with three time 1st team status are Curtis Olds WR, Andre Garron RB)

Other serious consideration: Barry Bourassa RB, Steve Doig LB, Mike Foley DL, Dwayne Gordon LB, Corey Graham DB, Ken Kaplan OL, Dwayne Saab LB

Best NFL careers: Jerry Azumah DB, Dwayne Gordon LB, Corey Graham DB, Dan Kreider FB, Dwayne Saab LB with Bruce Huther LB and Randall Williams WR right with them..

I like your list, but I'd have Steve Doig on the list before Illia. I played with both and they were both very good, but I think Steve took over games in so many ways

BisonFan02
April 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM
My list....

1) Jeff Bentrim
2) Phil Hansen
3) Lamar Gordon
4) Steve Nelson
5) Joe Mays

Tons of honorable mentions including Tyrone Braxton, Kole Heckendorf, Craig Dahl, Tyler Roehl, Stacy Robinson...etc. There could be arguments for a ton of other guys.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
1-Dave Meggett
2-Sean Landetta
3-Tony Vinson
5-Andy Rehkemper - perhaps the most underrated Offensive lineman in the history of I-AA football :)

Going back through the old posts this is probably my favorite so far.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM
USD Top 5 Players:

1. Eric Rasmussen QB 2000-2003
3. Josh Johnson QB 2003-active
2. Adam Hannula WR 2002-2005
3. Dylan Ching RB 1996-1999
4. Michael Gasperson WR 2001-2004

Holy crap, remembering all the old San Diego arguments again!

Sader87
April 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Holy Cross in the 1-AA era:

1. Gordie Lockbaum (RB/CB...what else ya got?) 1988....twice Top 5 Heisman vote recepient.

2. Gill Fenerty (RB) 1985....tremendous running back, once ran for 300+ (against Columbia...but still)...later played CFL/NFL

3. Bruce Kozerski (OL) 1984...dominating lineman, played for the Bengals for years.

Here it gets tough:

4. Tom Ciaccio (QB) 1992....led HC to a 30-2-1 record from 1989-1991

5. Jerry McCabe (LB) 1988....led the HC defense on a #1 ranked 1-AA squad in 1987.

Multiple others who one could make an argument for #4 or #5.

Hambone
April 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
North Dakota:

WR Weston Dressler
RB Phillip Moore
DL Broc Bellmore
RB Shannon Burnell
LB Dean Witkowski

Your list is missing who I think is the best to ever play at UND - Mr Jim Kleinsasser. My list:

Jim Kleinsasser
Weston Dressler
Phillip Moore
Digger Anderson
Chris Kuper

Granted - while I went to a lot of UND games growing up with my parents, since I didn't see prior to the Phillip Moore days I can't really give an accurate reading. So, my list is from the mid-90s to current.

HailSzczur
April 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
This is tough, I come up with about 8 players with very strong arguements for a spot on the list, but here we go.

1. Brian Westbrook (RB) 2002- Payton Winner, NCAA record holder for all purpose yards. 4499 Career rushing yds, 54 TDs, and 20 100-yd games. 2,639 receiving yds. 5 Kickoff returns for a touch down. I can go on and on

2. Brian Finneran (WR) 1998- Only receiver to win the Payton. Holds school records with 265 receptions, 3,872 career yds, and 1,389 yds in a season.

3. Ben Ijalana (OT) 2011- 2 time All American. Anchor of the fantastic Nova O-line that won the NC and almost repeated in 2010, allowing the offense to average over 250 rushing yards per game with the likes of Matt Szczur, Chris Whitney, Angelo Babarro, and Aaron Ball. Started every game during his career making a school record 53 starts. Finished 10th in the Payton voting in 2009 with 75 points and 3 first place votes.

4. Howie Long (DE) 1981- Originally a TE, then a Nose Guard who recorded 306 tackles, including a career best 99 as a freshman. MVP of the 1980 Blue-Gray Football Classic

5. Chris Gorden (QB) 2004- school records with 66.8% career completion percentage, 4,290 yds in a season, 444 yds in a game. Finished with 9,693 yds and 38 TD's. In his senior year he lead the team to the semi-finals at McNeese St. playing with a broken thumb he suffered early in the Quarter-final against Fordham

Just missed the cut:
Chris Boden (QB) 1998- All time leading passing leader at Villanova. Boden and Gorden occupy the top spots of every Nova passing record. Boden led the '97 undefeated Cats. Would have made the Top 5, but the quality of the receivers he had certainly helped quite a bit. Played with some of the best receivers in school history Brian Finneran (#1), Josh Dolbin (#5), and Brad Finneran (1,200+ yds)

Matt Szczur (WR/RB/QB/KR/all around nice guy) 2011- Ill let the App St fans write his description. MVP of the NC game. Only player in DI football to have a rec, rush, pass, and return TD in 2009. Messed with the heads of Keeler and Delaware just by holding a helmet in 2010. Donated Bone Marrow. You all know the story

Mike Siani (WR) 1972- School records for Receiving yards in a game (288). Siani pretty much sits in a close 2nd in all the Villanova receiving records to Finneran. Was essentially the face of Nova football in the late 60's early 70's until Long came along

darell1976
April 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Your list is missing who I think is the best to ever play at UND - Mr Jim Kleinsasser. My list:

Jim Kleinsasser
Weston Dressler
Phillip Moore
Digger Anderson
Chris Kuper

Granted - while I went to a lot of UND games growing up with my parents, since I didn't see prior to the Phillip Moore days I can't really give an accurate reading. So, my list is from the mid-90s to current.

I thought about putting Jim on the list but I went with people that put up the numbers with UND. Jim wasn't in the top 5 in receiving yards or catches or TD's. He was great at the TE position. My list is also when I was a fan so anything 1985-present. I tried looking for a good QB and while the numbers were with Todd Kovash, and Kurt Otto the better overall QB's was towards the late 90's into the 2000's with Klancher and Klosterman. Moore was my classmate at Central and did try out with the Cincinnati Bengals. Great runner.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Matt Szczur (WR/RB/QB/KR/all around nice guy) 2011- Ill let the App St fans write his description. MVP of the NC game. Only player in DI football to have a rec, rush, pass, and return TD in 2009. Messed with the heads of Keeler and Delaware just by holding a helmet in 2010. Donated Bone Marrow. You all know the story

You forgot "talked trash via twitter about cooling down the inferno, and then was cooled down by Matt Johnson."

:D

HailSzczur
April 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
You forgot "talked trash via twitter about cooling down the inferno, and then was cooled down by Matt Johnson."

:D

I said App St fans fill in the rest, not you guys, one of the few teams that seemed to have his number xsmhx
And thus he sits in the honorable mention

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 01:05 AM
1) Armanti Edwards
2) Dexter Coakley
3) Dino Hackett
4) Kevin Richardson
5) John Settle

Honorable mention to DaVon Fowlkes, Jason Hunter, D.J. Smith, Brian Quick and Richie Williams

Did you see Dexter Coakley play at ASU? There is no way he ranks below ANYONE who has played there, even Armanti Edwards. Coakley is arguably the greatest defensive player in FCS history and is ASU's only College Football Hall of Fame honoree (first ballot election). Coakley's two Buchanan Awards match AE's two Payton Awards, too. As much as I admire Kevin Richardson (one of my favorite Mountaineers personally), he wouldn't rank in the top five either.

My top five for ASU would be
1. Coakley
2. Edwards
3. Settle
4. Hackett
5a. Larry Hand
5b. Matt Stevens

Settle was the all-time leading rusher at ASU until Richardson broke the record in the spread. Settle also was the first free agent to gain 1,000 yards and make an All-Pro game in his first NFL season. Only a knee injury kept him from a greater NFL career.

Hackett had one of the single greatest season in ASU history as a senior, after underachieving in his first three seasons. His final game, he had 27 tackles against East Tennessee State. He then had a stellar career with the Kansas City Chiefs as a linebacker.

Hand was dominant at ASU, if you talk to old-time fans and then he was great with a very good Detroit Lions defense in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He was extremely versatile, playing defensive end and defensive tackle before switching to offense and becoming a great offensive lineman. Ironically, I just got ahold of a Washington Redskins-Detroit Lions exhibition game from 1969 in the past week or so. This was Vince Lombardi's lone season as the Redskins coach and Hand was dominant in this game, with a bunch of tackles and a pair of sacks on Sonny Jurgensen, who was difficult to sack with his quick release.

Stevens is often forgotten now, but he was one of the best CBs ever in FCS and would have been a mid-first-round NFL draft pick after the 1995 season had it not been for a cheap-shot cut block that blew out his knee against UTC. That injury probably cost the Mountaineers a shot at the national title (they were 12-0 before a depleted, injury-plagued defense lost in the quarterfinals). He went on to start for the Buffalo Bills as a rookie safety and spent eight years in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl ring as the nickel back with the New England Patriots.

A lot of players would be on ASU's honorable mention list. A few others to include (other than the names already mentioned) would be center Gil Beck, safety Corey Lynch, WR Rick Beasley and QB Steve Brown (the leading passer in school history before Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards). Mark LeGree was pretty good, too, as a three-time Buchanan Award finalist.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 01:13 AM
This is tough, I come up with about 8 players with very strong arguements for a spot on the list, but here we go.

1. Brian Westbrook (RB) 2002- Payton Winner, NCAA record holder for all purpose yards. 4499 Career rushing yds, 54 TDs, and 20 100-yd games. 2,639 receiving yds. 5 Kickoff returns for a touch down. I can go on and on

2. Brian Finneran (WR) 1998- Only receiver to win the Payton. Holds school records with 265 receptions, 3,872 career yds, and 1,389 yds in a season.

3. Ben Ijalana (OT) 2011- 2 time All American. Anchor of the fantastic Nova O-line that won the NC and almost repeated in 2010, allowing the offense to average over 250 rushing yards per game with the likes of Matt Szczur, Chris Whitney, Angelo Babarro, and Aaron Ball. Started every game during his career making a school record 53 starts. Finished 10th in the Payton voting in 2009 with 75 points and 3 first place votes.

4. Howie Long (DE) 1981- Originally a TE, then a Nose Guard who recorded 306 tackles, including a career best 99 as a freshman. MVP of the 1980 Blue-Gray Football Classic

5. Chris Gorden (QB) 2004- school records with 66.8% career completion percentage, 4,290 yds in a season, 444 yds in a game. Finished with 9,693 yds and 38 TD's. In his senior year he lead the team to the semi-finals at McNeese St. playing with a broken thumb he suffered early in the Quarter-final against Fordham

Just missed the cut:
Chris Boden (QB) 1998- All time leading passing leader at Villanova. Boden and Gorden occupy the top spots of every Nova passing record. Boden led the '97 undefeated Cats. Would have made the Top 5, but the quality of the receivers he had certainly helped quite a bit. Played with some of the best receivers in school history Brian Finneran (#1), Josh Dolbin (#5), and Brad Finneran (1,200+ yds)

Mike Siani (WR) 1972- School records for Receiving yards in a game (288). Siani pretty much sits in a close 2nd in all the Villanova receiving records to Finneran. Was essentially the face of Nova football in the late 60's early 70's until Long came along

You mean Brett Gordon, not Chris Gorden. Brett Gordon was one of my favorite FCS QBs ever. I voted him first for the 2002 Payton Award (that was his senior year, not 2004). Even with the broken thumb, he nearly led Villanova to the 2002 championship game (Nova got robbed by the officials in the semifinals at McNeese State — and I was sitting next to the NCAA officials observer in the press box that day and this Southland Conference director of officials agreed with me on that and was so steamed at the Big Sky officials that day).

That being said, I would rank Szczur ahead of Chris Boden and Brett Gordon and would place Siani ahead of both of them, too. I only saw Siani with the Oakland Raiders, but he was a pretty good possession receiver. Another player who probably deserves some props is Curtis Eller, the early 1990s LB, who is currently on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot and was a national defensive player of the year BEFORE the Buchanan Award was started.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 01:18 AM
For those Eastern Washington fans who are ranking quarterbacks, I would put Meyer and Nichols both ahead of Bo Levi Mitchell. Meyer edged out Ricky Santos for the Payton Award in 2005 and did things without as much support as Mitchell had around him. Both Meyer and Nichols had some time in pro football as well. Nichols was fourth in the Payton Award balloting as a senior on a loaded ballot. Erik Kimble was pretty good at WR for EWU, too.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 04:11 AM
For those Eastern Washington fans who are ranking quarterbacks, I would put Meyer and Nichols both ahead of Bo Levi Mitchell. Meyer edged out Ricky Santos for the Payton Award in 2005 and did things without as much support as Mitchell had around him. Both Meyer and Nichols had some time in pro football as well. Nichols was fourth in the Payton Award balloting as a senior on a loaded ballot. Erik Kimble was pretty good at WR for EWU, too.

Agreed, I would rank Meyer ahead of Nichols and BLM. If Erik had started 4 years like Matt, I think his records would not only still be standing, but standing for a long long time. His efficiency was through the roof. BLM was great under pressure, but he had Taiwan, and Edwards, and Kaufman, and a ball hawking D.

seantaylor
April 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
1. AP
2. Ham
3. Mohring
4. Foster
5. Brent Russell

asumike83
April 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Did you see Dexter Coakley play at ASU? There is no way he ranks below ANYONE who has played there, even Armanti Edwards. Coakley is arguably the greatest defensive player in FCS history and is ASU's only College Football Hall of Fame honoree (first ballot election). Coakley's two Buchanan Awards match AE's two Payton Awards, too.

Coakley had already graduated when I started at App, so I just have second hand accounts and highlights to go by. I was only able to watch Dexter in the NFL. I put AE first because I witnessed his dominance first hand. Best college football player I've ever seen at any level, in my (admittedly biased) opinion.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM

I like your list, but I'd have Steve Doig on the list before Illia. I played with both and they were both very good, but I think Steve took over games in so many ways

I guess I should have gone with my first instinct because I originally had Steve in my top five! :D When looking for some additional criteria to help me select my 5th player, I saw the listings in the media guide for 1st Team all conference and switched gears.

And I could understand people having Ilia instead of Bill Burnham too. He was drafted and went on to play in the NFL while Bill didn't. I just thought the accomplishments of the team when Bill was the star RB were enough to give him the nod. The 1975 team when Bill was a sophomore beat UMass for the first time since 1968 and during this time many thought UNH couldn't compete with UMass. That win earned the Yankee Conference AQ to the D-II playoffs, UNH's first ever playoff bid. They won at Lehigh in the quarterfinals before losing to Western KY in the semi-finals (Grantland Rice Bowl) in IIRC Baton Rouge.

I hope VT Wildcat 53 reads this thread as he played during this era and would provide great insight.

carney2
April 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Holy Cross in the 1-AA era:

1. Gordie Lockbaum (RB/CB...what else ya got?) 1988....twice Top 5 Heisman vote recepient.

2. Gill Fenerty (RB) 1985....tremendous running back, once ran for 300+ (against Columbia...but still)...later played CFL/NFL

3. Bruce Kozerski (OL) 1984...dominating lineman, played for the Bengals for years.

Here it gets tough:

4. Tom Ciaccio (QB) 1992....led HC to a 30-2-1 record from 1989-1991

5. Jerry McCabe (LB) 1988....led the HC defense on a #1 ranked 1-AA squad in 1987.

Multiple others who one could make an argument for #4 or #5.

I remember all these guys, To me, Ciaccio fits easily above the "gets tough" line.

bjtheflamesfan
April 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I dont know if anyone posted Liberty's but Id say in no real order:

Eric Green
Dwaye Carswell
Rashad Jennings
Chris Summers
Mike Brown

Saint3333
April 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Did you see Dexter Coakley play at ASU? There is no way he ranks below ANYONE who has played there, even Armanti Edwards. Coakley is arguably the greatest defensive player in FCS history and is ASU's only College Football Hall of Fame honoree (first ballot election). Coakley's two Buchanan Awards match AE's two Payton Awards, too. As much as I admire Kevin Richardson (one of my favorite Mountaineers personally), he wouldn't rank in the top five either.

I agree DC may be the best defensive player in FCS history, but AE would be in the discussion for the best offensive player in FCS history. If we're talking college only accomplishments putting AE or DC on top seems reasonable, I saw both take over games multiple times and the other teams not to gameplan for them.

Offensive guys will always get the nod from most fans in these types of rankings.

I also agree with Settle over KRich. Everyone knew Settle was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him (yeah Wake Forest I'm talking to you).

AE, DC, Settle, and Hackett are definitely the top four. Never saw Hand play, # 5 would be a tough call for ASU. Richardson, Lynch, Fowlkes, Williams, Stevenson, Btown to Beasley connection, Rico Mack (hardest hitter in my memory), Nitmo (K).

frozennorth
April 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Digger Anderson

I don't remember exactly how the play went down, but his hurdling of an opponent on the way back for a pick-6 is burned into my memory.

slostang
April 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Slo... How do you think these guys would rank in a top 5 for Poly?

Kasim Osgood
Kamil Loud
Jonathan Dally
Seth Buford
Asa Jackson

Kasim Osgood would be up there but he finished his career at SDSU so I did not put him on the list. I could see Asa Jackson replacing Mel Kaufman. Dally was one of the best QBs to play at Cal Poly, but I think you have to have the three Buck Buchanan winners on there and Ramses most certainly is a top 5 player. I would put Dally somewhere in the 6-10 area. I also think Seth Burford and Kamil Loud are towards the top. Some other names would be James Noble, Stephen Field, Gary Davis, Louis Jackson, Robbie Martin, Mark Restelli, Ryan Mole, Danna Nafsinger (sp?), Mark Davis, Stan Sherrif.....

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Having watched Cal Poly since I was a kid, I am partial to guys like Louis Jackson (who I just voted for on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot again this year and who I watched all the way from his high school days), Robbie Martin and Mel Kaufman from that D-II championship club. In the FCS era, Chris Gocong and Ramses Barden were as good as any. Funny that two Buchanan Award winners, Jordan Beck and Kyle Shotwell (one of my personal favorite players), were not mentioned by some of the Cal Poly folks. A lot of good ones for the Mustangs through the years.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I agree DC may be the best defensive player in FCS history, but AE would be in the discussion for the best offensive player in FCS history. If we're talking college only accomplishments putting AE or DC on top seems reasonable, I saw both take over games multiple times and the other teams not to gameplan for them.

Offensive guys will always get the nod from most fans in these types of rankings.

I also agree with Settle over KRich. Everyone knew Settle was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him (yeah Wake Forest I'm talking to you).

AE, DC, Settle, and Hackett are definitely the top four. Never saw Hand play, # 5 would be a tough call for ASU. Richardson, Lynch, Fowlkes, Williams, Stevenson, Btown to Beasley connection, Rico Mack (hardest hitter in my memory), Nitmo (K).

As good as Armanti Edwards was/is, he would probably rank behind several other FCS quarterbacks, like Dave Dickenson, Tracy Ham and, of course, Steve McNair. It would also be hard to rank him ahead of Adrian Peterson, or maybe Brian Westbrook. Ham would have won one or more Payton Award, if there had been such an award at the time he played and he has two national titles, just like Armanti. Most ASU people I know would rank Dexter Coakley ahead of Armanti Edwards. And with all other things being equal, Coakley had a more impressive NFL career than Edwards is likely to have, with just as many obstacles to overcome.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I did say college only accomplishments. 10,000 passing yards, 4,000 rushing yards. AE is in the discussion vs. anyone.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Having watched Cal Poly since I was a kid, I am partial to guys like Louis Jackson (who I just voted for on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot again this year and who I watched all the way from his high school days), Robbie Martin and Mel Kaufman from that D-II championship club. In the FCS era, Chris Gocong and Ramses Barden were as good as any. Funny that two Buchanan Award winners, Jordan Beck and Kyle Shotwell (one of my personal favorite players), were not mentioned by some of the Cal Poly folks. A lot of good ones for the Mustangs through the years.

The only year that Poly ever really dominated NDSU in the old Great West days (2005) I believe was the year Gocong was the defense player of the year in FCS.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I did say college only accomplishments. 10,000 passing yards, 4,000 rushing yards. AE is in the discussion vs. anyone.
And Coakley had more tackles than anyone in FCS history, which puts him at the top of the defensive list in my opinion. I don't think Armanti would have a problem being No. 2 behind Dex.

As great as AE was (and his stats stand in a place ahead of all FCS QBs in terms of dominance as a runner and a passer combined), there is little doubt in my mind that McNair was the best FCS QB ever. I wrote at the time that McNair would have been my choice for the Heisman Trophy as a senior (1994). McNair did incredible things. I feel fortunate to have highlight DVDs of both McNair and Armanti. I'd personally put AE around five or six among the top offensive players of all-time in FCS.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Dex wouldn't have an issue being 2nd either both were great players and great men.

VT Wildcat Fan53
April 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Don't forget another monster Blue Hen from the Wing T days, Nate Beasley from the mid-1970's.

VT Wildcat Fan53
April 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
For Northeastern ...

1) TE - The late Dan Ross :bawling:
2) DE - Sean Jones
3) DT - Keith Willis
4) RB - Bob Cappadona
5) DE - Darin Jordan

xsmileyclapx

Honorable mention - LB Liam Ezekiel, QB, Jim Murphy, QB Sean Brady, OT Jerome Daniels, RB Brian Vaughn, WR Dave Klemic, WR Mike Williams.

http://gonu.com/football/archives/legends.html

God Bless Danny Ross. He was a certainly a great one for sure! Sean "spider" Jones was a pro in the making from the time he arrived on campus at NU, but not sure he was a Top 5 difference maker for the Huskies at the college level, ....although teams certainly did adjust blocking schemes to "try" to neutralize the very tall one. Willis was just too fast to be called "a load"; he was more of an offense wrecker. Gotta love Bobby Cappadona, too!

Sader87
April 7th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I remember all these guys, To me, Ciaccio fits easily above the "gets tough" line.

Ciaccio was a terrific QB, but as a "gamechanger" he's not in the Top 3 of Lockbaum, Fenerty or Kozerski....Jeff Wiley and Dom Randolph could be lumped with Ciaccio as all-time QB's for HCin the 1-AA era.

Fenerty was actually one of the best RB's in all of 1-AA of the last 30 years imo.

VT Wildcat Fan53
April 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Let's not forget the late, great Terriers of BU. Late 70's and early 80's under Rick Taylor and the late Dan Allen's subsequent teams of the early 1990's proved to be some of the greatest teams of all time up on Comm Ave, ....with some great players, to boot.

Here's a starting Top 5 ... maybe Top 8 ;-):

1. Harry Agannis, the original Golden Boy! xbowx

2. Bruce Taylor, DB xthumbsupx

3. Billy Brooks, WR and his predecessor, the football/baseball star, Reggie Rucker xsalutex

4. The too tall brethern of the DL, Dave Lindstrom, all 6'8" of him! ....and younger sibling, Chris Lindstrom xhandshakex

5. The head knocking OLine connection of Bobby Speight and Paul Farren xsmashx

As honorable mention, consider QB's Robert "Flutie" Dougherty and Jim Jenson (when he wasn't snapping for punts!), RB's Paul Lewis and the nefarious Mal Najarian, LB Pat Hughes, OL Bill Budness, DL Dominic Lalli & Rich Horn, .... and so many more.

RIP BU Football! xpeacex

slostang
April 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
The only year that Poly ever really dominated NDSU in the old Great West days (2005) I believe was the year Gocong was the defense player of the year in FCS.

And NDSU only dominated Cal Poly one year and each team took 2 games in the 4 games they played against each other in the Great West. NDSU had the huge 4th quarter comeback in 2007 or it would have been 3-1 Cal Poly.

Twentysix
April 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM
09-14-1985 CP win by 6 points NDSU wins national championship

11-24-1990 NDSU win by 47 points quarterfinal playoff game NDSU wins national championship

09-12-1992 NDSU win by 16 points

10-23-2004 CP win by 3 points

10-08-2005 CP win by 31 points

11-11-2006 NDSU win by 37 points

11-10-2007 NDSU win by 3 points

NDSU is 4-3 against CP.

MSUDuo
April 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM
With my limited knowledge of the history of Missouri State football...

QB- DeAndre Smith
TE- Clay Harbor
OT- David Arkin
QB- Cody Kirby
WR- Jermaine Saffold

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 01:46 AM

11-24-1990 NDSU win by 47 points quarterfinal playoff game NDSU wins national championship

NDSU is 4-3 against CP.

We were talking about Great West games.

Twentysix
April 8th, 2012, 01:47 AM
We were talking about Great West games.

Since there were only 3 non GW games, I figured I would add them for you.

If there would have been something like 35 I wouldn't have.

darell1976
April 8th, 2012, 07:49 AM

NDSU is 4-3 against CP.

Didn't NDSU beat everybody in 1985 and 1990? I know we got our asses kicked by them in those years.

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Got it. I hope to see NDSU on as many future schedules as possible. Great fans and program.

BTW, nice to see that Cal Poly beat the Bison in 1985 and then the Bison went on to win a National Championship. Cal poly won their National Championship 5 years earlier in 1980.

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Got it. I hope to see NDSU on as many future schedules as possible. Great fans and program.

BTW, nice to see that Cal Poly beat the Bison in 1985 and then the Bison went on to win a National Championship. Cal poly won their National Championship 5 years earlier in 1980.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Poly come to Fargo - but it will probably have to be as a playoff game. Doubt that Poly would agree to come for a guarantee game for any reasonable amount.

NDSU should not make any trips out to California during the regular season.

The trips were hard on the players from what I heard (long flights, getting home very late, etc.) and it wasted an entire week of practice having to prepare for Poly's "rugby" schemes.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
And NDSU only dominated Cal Poly one year and each team took 2 games in the 4 games they played against each other in the Great West. NDSU had the huge 4th quarter comeback in 2007 or it would have been 3-1 Cal Poly.

Not sure where to rank that one within the 3 all-time great Steve Walker comebacks: UC Davis in 2006, Sam Houston St in 2007 and Cal Poly in 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

blueballs
April 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
1. AP
2. Ham
3. Mohring
4. Foster
5. Brent Russell

Over Raymond Gross (all time wins leader as a QB- 44- until Edwards broke the record, 3 NC games, 2 titles), Giff Smith (3X all american), Mark Williams (3X all american, 3 Jacobs Trophies), or even Jermaine Austin (over 5000 career rushing)?????

katstrapper
April 8th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Sam Houston:
1. DD Terry
2. Brandon Perry
3. Blake Martin
4. Ed Jackson
5. Offensive Line (gotta put this one as one player :))

I would have to disagree on that list BFPU....Top 5 Kats

1. Michael Bankston-- DT
2. Keith Davis-- FS
3. Carl Mims -- OL
4.Odie Harris -- SS
5. Stan Blinka-- QB

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Double post.

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Poly come to Fargo - but it will probably have to be as a playoff game. Doubt that Poly would agree to come for a guarantee game for any reasonable amount.

NDSU should not make any trips out to California during the regular season.

The trips were hard on the players from what I heard (long flights, getting home very late, etc.) and it wasted an entire week of practice having to prepare for Poly's "rugby" schemes.
That and Cal Poly is a tough game in Spanos Stadium.

Also you might not feel it is a wasted week if you draw either Georgia Southern or Woffard in the playoffs.

carney2
April 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ciaccio was a terrific QB, but as a "gamechanger" he's not in the Top 3 of Lockbaum, Fenerty or Kozerski....Jeff Wiley and Dom Randolph could be lumped with Ciaccio as all-time QB's for HCin the 1-AA era.

Fenerty was actually one of the best RB's in all of 1-AA of the last 30 years imo.

I give way to the opinion of one who saw Ciacco play more than once a year. I will say however, that a friend of mine, a Lehigh grad who saw him when he showed up in Bethlehem, and I were in agreement that he was something special.

ericsaid
April 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I don't know if Armanti Edwards is too obvious a pick for number one or all of you are basing post college play as well. Best player in App state history and maybe one behind adrian petrrson fpr recent socon history

clenz
April 8th, 2012, 04:46 PM
That's pretty cool. I guess I knew that but never really put it together.

Yep....I argued with an Iowa fan over that one for about a half hour one day...him saying "FCS schools never produce any good talent" was his way to prove me wrong. I pulled it up on google and he ate his words.....The next topic we argued - if Romo was an elite NFL qb. His side, you ask? Romo is an elite NFL qb......I then pointed out that Romo came from the FCS. He told me I was wrong, I pointed out he played for Eastern Illinois and he told me to **** off.

Skjellyfetti
April 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM

I don't think this is true.

Peyton Manning and Reggie White from Tennessee have both won it multiple times. As a Tennessee fan, those two come to mind immediately... but, I'm sure there are other schools have had both.

clenz
April 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Correct....I forgot about UT.

Those would be the only 2.

HailSzczur
April 8th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yep....I argued with an Iowa fan over that one for about a half hour one day...him saying "FCS schools never produce any good talent" was his way to prove me wrong. I pulled it up on google and he ate his words.....The next topic we argued - if Romo was an elite NFL qb. His side, you ask? Romo is an elite NFL qb......I then pointed out that Romo came from the FCS. He told me I was wrong, I pointed out he played for Eastern Illinois and he told me to **** off.

Do the same thing with Penn St fans around here. Have to remind them the Brian Westbrook came from Nova and that the Eagles have had a lot of other good FCS talent Jeremiah Trotter (SFA), Chris Gocong (Cal Poly), Mike Bartrum (Marshall), Shawn Barber (Richmond), Terrell Owen (Chatty), and Hank Fraley (RMU) just to name afew. Some people just won't listen and hate having to reach outside of their protected bubble that is the BCS

seantaylor
April 9th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Over Raymond Gross (all time wins leader as a QB- 44- until Edwards broke the record, 3 NC games, 2 titles), Giff Smith (3X all american), Mark Williams (3X all american, 3 Jacobs Trophies), or even Jermaine Austin (over 5000 career rushing)?????

Absolutely. All those other guys besides Jermaine were coached by elite coaches. Foster won the Payton award. Mohring was the best defensive player at GSU.

TheRevSFA
April 9th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I would have to disagree on that list BFPU....Top 5 Kats

1. Michael Bankston-- DT
2. Keith Davis-- FS
3. Carl Mims -- OL
4.Odie Harris -- SS
5. Stan Blinka-- QB

Flanders hasn't already made your top 5?

Ivytalk
April 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
For Harvard:
Clifton Dawson, RB
Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB
Pat McInally, WR/P
Matt Birk, C
Carl Morris, WR

BEAR
April 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
From UCA: Football only

1. Monte Coleman
2. Nathan Brown
3. Willie Davis
4. Aaron Fairooz
5. Erron Bobo and Hosea Knowlton- 1991 RB combination that led UCA to National Championship in the NAIA. Knowlton- If UCA needed 3 yards for a first down, he got you 4 dragging 5 guys on his ankles. That was a real football player!

fc97
April 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
for elon:

1 rich mcgeorge
2 joey hackett
3 chad nkang
4 scott riddle
5 terrell hudgins

honorable mention: bill devaney, tony settles

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:07 PM
for elon:

1 rich mcgeorge
2 joey hackett
3 chad nkang
4 scott riddle
5 terrell hudgins

honorable mention: bill devaney, tony settles

I think Mellette may be moving his way up that list as the 2012 season gets going. That kid is a monster.

SoCon48
April 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM

Appalachian State
1. Dexter Coakley
2. Richie Williams
3. John Settle
4. Dino Hackett
5. Davon Fowlkes

How did you leave out Armanti?

Twentysix
April 12th, 2012, 03:04 AM
How did you leave out Armanti?

Armanti hadn't passed through asu's bowels yet.

344Johnson
April 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM
No particular order....I'm younger so I won't probably have the best list.

Phil Hansen- Bills hall of fame or whatever.
Jeff Bentrim- Great quarterback and held D-2 record for rushing touchdowns I believe.
Lamar Gordon- Absolute animal, drafted to possibly replace Marshall Faulk.
Craig Dahl- Safeties don't always get the love they deserve.
Joe Mays- Bigtime manimal who layed bigtime hits.

Bison fans help me out here. Tony Satter could justify a spot too I reckon, maybe Simdorn too. Tough to put a list together....jeez.

Go Bison
April 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM

That 2005 butt kicking Cal Poly put on NDSU was the worst loss that I know of in my lifetime. That really put a fire under NDSU to get better and more competitive. Personally, I loved it when NDSU played Cal Poly. There were some great games between the two teams.

SoCon48
April 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Armanti hadn't passed through asu's bowels yet.

Sorry, I didn't see anything which designated a particular time frame.

UNH72Plus
April 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Ricky Santos QB
David Ball WR
Jerry Azumah RB
Ilia Jarostchuk LB

Best NFL careers: Jerry Azumah DB, Dwayne Gordon LB, Corey Graham DB, Dan Kreider FB, Dwayne Saab LB with Bruce Huther LB and Randall Williams WR right with them.

I knew I could rely on you to dredge up some oldies but goodies. I agree on all counts and would add a couple of Canadian Footbal Leaguers: Chad Kackert (RB) and Etienne Boulay (DB). Another talented player with the best football name would be Scott Sicko.

carney2
April 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
For Harvard:
Clifton Dawson, RB
Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB
Pat McInally, WR/P
Matt Birk, C
Carl Morris, WR

No one from the leather helmet days?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
It's gonna be funny when 48 gets to the page where the others have realized the errors of their ways.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I didn't see anything which designated a particular time frame.

You mean other than the actual date that was posted?xlolx

The Cats
April 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Western Carolina

not in order....
Jerry Gaines - (1970-75)
Dean Biasucci - (1980-83)
George "Tiger" Greene - (1981-84)
Kirk Roach - (1984-87)
Brad Hoover - (1996-99)

alternates......
Clyde Simmons - (1982-85)
Steve Yates - (1971-74)
Alonzo Carmichael - (1983-86)
Tom Bodine - (1991-94)
Louis Cooper - (1981-84)
Eric Rasheed - (1981-84)

Tribal
April 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
From Tribe's I-AA years.

-Darren Sharper
-Lang Campbell
-Robert Green
-Steve Christie
-Rich Musinski

And a sixth who belongs- Michael "Pinball" Clemons.

From the I-A years

- "Flying" Jack Cloud
- Lou Creekmur (Won Jacobs Blocking Trophy and is in the NFL Hall of Fame)
- Knox Ramsey
- Buster Ramsey
- David Knight

I'd switch Pinball and Rich and also add Jon Grimes as an honorable mention.

Ivytalk
April 15th, 2012, 10:03 PM
No one from the leather helmet days?

You don't know how hard it was to leave Bobby Leo and John Dockery off my list, let alone those REALLY old dudes like the Horween brothers.:p

PaladinNation
April 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Furman:

1. Louis Ivory
2. Ingle Martin
3. Jerome Felton
4. Chas Fox
5. Orlando Ruff

Have to add to this list:

1. Stanford Jennings
2. Bobby Lamb
3. Frankie DeBusk
4. Jeff Blakenship
5. Jerome Norris

dbackjon
April 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
This is fun to see how things have changed a little. It's tough to think of a top five for Montana, but here is my stab at it.

1. Davey D
2. Marc Mariani
3. Kroy Biermann
4. Chase Reynolds
5. Tim Hauck

That was a tough list to put together, especially considering how many greats we have had in the six years since this thread started. I am curious where guys like Colt Anderson, Trumaine Johnson, Caleb McSurdy and a whole host of others would fall on the list. The more I think about it, the harder this list is to create.

When I first read this thread, not realizing it was 6 years old, I was thinking - why are all the Montana posters ignoring Mariani and Biermann?

Mariani was the most exciting, game changing player I have seen in the almost thirty years of watching Big Sky football. The only player that when he touched the ball, if you were on the opposition, you got a lump in your throat, because he could score on any given play.

dbackjon
April 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM
NAU

Archie Amerson RB (Payton Award Winner)
Shawn Collins WR - 1st round pick
Jeff Lewis QB
Pete Mandley WR
Frank Pollack T

TSU86
April 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM
1-Dave Meggett
2-Sean Landetta
3-Tony Vinson

first 3 are no brainers. Little tougher after that.
Stan Eisenhooth
Bushrod
Danny Crowley
Mark Orlando
Rodney Smith

Did Madieu Williams start out at TU?

Mr. C
April 18th, 2012, 08:00 AM
first 3 are no brainers. Little tougher after that.
Stan Eisenhooth
Bushrod
Danny Crowley
Mark Orlando
Rodney Smith

Did Madieu Williams start out at TU?

I think Terrance West might be added to that list in a few years. From a personal standpoint, I always loved watching QB Sean Schaefer.

RichH2
April 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
For Lehigh

Just players I actually saw.
Kim McQuiken qb
Rabih Abdullah rb
Chris Lum qb
Steve Kreider wr
Jack Rizzo rb

eiu1999
April 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
EIU (that I'm familiar with):

Tony Romo
Sean Payton
Jeff Gossett
John Jurkovic
JR Taylor

blueballs
April 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
For Georgia Southern:

1) Tracy Ham... MOP of 1985 & 1986 playoffs, amassing over 1000 yards total offense in the two title games, winning both. College Football HOF inductee. In 1985 and 1986 he might have been the best player I ever saw, just ridiculous.

2) Adrian Peterson... all time leading rusher & leading scorer in division 1. Payton Award (won in 99) finalist all 4 years, 1st team all american all four years. Set over 100 conference and NCAA records. Statistically the greatest rusher in college football history.

3) Raymond Gross... QB'ed GSU to 3 consecutive title games, winning two in 89 & 90. Led team to 15-0-0 season in 89. Set all time record for wins as a QB (later broken by Armanti Edwards).

4) Giff Smith... 3 time all american defensive end. Played in 3 NC games (88-90) winning in 89 & 90. So highly thought of in GSU circles that he delivered Erk Russell's eulogy.

5) Mark Williams... "The Bus," 3 time all american, 3 time Jacobs Trophy winner. Best o-lineman on the 98 & 99 GSU offensive juggarnaut... '99 group averaged over 440 ypg rushing and 50 ppg over 15 games.

Honorable mention: Joe Ross (3 time all american 87,89-90... 152 yds rushing in NC game in 89), Greg Hill (99 SoCon POTY which is amazing considering Peterson won the Payton Award that year), Jermaine Austin (over 5000 rushing yards), Jayson Foster (set all time single season rushing record for QB in 07, Payton Award winner), Freddy Pesqueira (3 time all american DL), Charles Clarke (3 time all american C)

Honorable honorable mention: Gerald Harris, Chaz Williams, Steve Bussoletti, Jesse Jenkins, Randall Boone, John Mohring, Chad Motte, Rich McGrath, Voncellies Allen, Ricky Harris, Earnest Thompson, Fred Stokes, Vance Pike

HenZoneNation
April 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Tough to argue that one.

That is a very cool stat...I didn't know that.

I know Kurt Warner had a Hall of Fame NFL career...but wasn't he on the bench a lot for UNI in his time there. The NFL Channel did a piece on him that I only half caught, but I thought they included in his improbable rise that he sat the bench mush of his time at UNI. If that's the case the maybe Eric Sanders makes a case for that list. He was a heck of player as well.

Skjellyfetti
April 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
That is a very cool stat...I didn't know that.

It's also not true... as established a couple pages back.

HenZoneNation
April 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I didn't start following UD football until the late 90's. So I don't have the benifit of some of the other guys on this board. There are some great resourses though on Gohens and a couple of guys were nice enough to send me some games from the mid-80's and early 90's. This is a hard catagory to make because your natural inclination is to list the guys who had NFL careers and assume that because they were succesful in the NFL that they were better college players than the guys who didn't. So guys like Dennis Johnson, Conway Haymen, Ivory Sully, Jeff Komlo, and Scott Brunner are tempting because they all had fairly long NFL runs. Current guys like Mike Adams (going into year 9), Flacco, Devlin, and Anthony Walters (not so much Josh Baker, Ben Patrick, or Ronald Talley) would also be under consdieration:

For me it goes:
1) Andy Hall: The dude could run, he could throw, he was tough as nails, and he refused to lose. He never made his mark in the NFL, but he was the best Offensive player in '03 and was robbed from the WP award. Absolutely robbed.
2) Rich Gannon: doesn't need to be mentioned.
3) Omar Cuff: For a guy who was told he'd never play RB at Delaware he finished with 4,364 yards 65 rushing TD's, 1,256 receiving yards and 8 td's. He also has the record for most rushing td's (35) in a season. Pierce will pass him on our all time list but I'd take Cuff anyday.
4) Eddie Contie: I can still hear the chants for him when teams were getting ready to punt. Most exciting player I ever saw live. Has the record for most receiving yards in a season 1,712.
5) Jay Nyres: He straight blew people up. He had a knee injury in high school which is how we lucked out and got him. He made our backs in '03 look great. There wasn't a player that year that lined up against him that he could handle.

ysubigred
April 19th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Montana IMO

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Terry Dillon
3. Joe Douglass
4. Tim Hauck

xeyebrowx Isn't this guy still a freshman?? Only player I heard of with 12 red shirt yeras LOL!! :Dxrotatehx

Silenoz
April 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
xeyebrowx Isn't this guy still a freshman?? Only player I heard of with 12 red shirt yeras LOL!! :Dxrotatehx

?

URMite
April 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Considering our rather modest success before 2005, I'm surprised how many players there are to consider.

While I-A:
1.) Barry Redden
2.) Jeff Nixon
3.) Barty Smith
4.) Walker Gillette
5.) Buster O'Brien

Since then:
1.) Brian Jordan
2.) Leland Melvin
3.) Tim Hightower
4.) Shawn Barber
5.) Justin Rogers

Also considered:
Erwin Mathews, Winston October, Matt Joyce, Stacy Tutt, Lawrence Sidbury, Tre Gray, Marc Megna, Eric Johnson, Paris Lennon, Rafe Wilkerson...