21: Northern Iowa Panthers
22: James Madison Dukes
23: William & Mary Tribe
24: Southern Illinois Salukis
25: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks

Dewey

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 12:04 PM
Absolutely. This Liberty fan just blew a cork upon reading the TSN joke.

kdinva
November 3rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
I had Wm & Mary for my "significant loss" team.......'nova still in good shape for post-season, no so the Tribe.......

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
1: North Dakota State Bison
2: New Hampshire Wildcats
3: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
4: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5: Richmond Spiders
6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Illinois State Redbirds
8: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
9: Youngstown State Penguins
10: Eastern Washington Eagles
11: Fordham Rams
12: McNeese State Cowboys
13: Harvard Crimson
14: Chattanooga Mocs
15: Cal Poly Mustangs
16: Bryant Bulldogs
17: Montana State Bobcats
18: Liberty Flames
19: Indiana State Sycamores
20: Montana Grizzlies
21: James Madison Dukes
22: Bucknell Bison
23: Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
24: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
25: Northern Iowa Panthers

Nickels
November 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
The SLC is much closer than this...

TypicalTribe
November 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
3: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
4: Richmond Spiders
5: Villanova Wildcats
6: Illinois State Redbirds
7: Youngstown State Penguins
8: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
9: Eastern Washington Eagles
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Indiana State Sycamores
12: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
13: Cal Poly Mustangs
14: Fordham Rams
15: Montana State Bobcats
16: McNeese State Cowboys
17: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
18: Montana Grizzlies
19: Liberty Flames
20: Harvard Crimson
21: Northern Iowa Panthers
22: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
23: James Madison Dukes
24: Bryant Bulldogs

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
I don't think either SFA or Sam deserve votes

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
6: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: Villanova Wildcats
8: Illinois State Redbirds
9: Fordham Rams
10: Youngstown State Penguins
11: McNeese State Cowboys
12: Indiana State Sycamores
13: Chattanooga Mocs
14: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
15: Montana State Bobcats
16: Cal Poly Mustangs
17: Montana Grizzlies
19: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
21: Bryant Bulldogs
22: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
23: Northern Iowa Panthers
24: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
25: James Madison Dukes

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:12 PM
I had Wm & Mary for my "significant loss" team.......'nova still in good shape for post-season, no so the Tribe.......

I had the Tribe as the most significant loss as well. UNI was my most significant win iirc.....

dewey
November 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
I had the Tribe as the most significant loss as well. UNI was my most significant win iirc.....

I had UNI as my most significant win and Villanova as my most significant loss...iirc.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
My only slight grip is Cal Poly in under UM and MSU. They are all very close in the standings but if the voters actually looked at the resumes for these three teams you'd have to put CP , then MSU, then UM and they should be around the spots they are currently but just mixed differently.

It's pretty damn solid other than a slight gripe like that though.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
I don't think either SFA or Sam deserve votes

Me neither but I don't think SFA and SELA deserve 100-200 times the number of votes. Neither one has beat anybody worth of damn OOC like the rest of the conference.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
I think I had Western Carolina as most significant loss. They were under consideration on a lot of ballots, then got absolutely destroyed by Chattanooga. Going to be hard pressed to get a second team out of the SoCon if WCU finishes second because they are clearly far behind the Mocs.

dewey
November 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
My only slight grip is Cal Poly in under UM and MSU. They are all very close in the standings but if the voters actually looked at the resumes for these three teams you'd have to put CP , then MSU, then UM and they should be around the spots they are currently but just mixed differently.

Agreed. Cal Poly mad the biggest jump (up or down) in my poll and I was wondering how others were going to handle it.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
I had UNI as my most significant win and Villanova as my most significant loss...iirc.

Dewey

Villanova will be fine if they win out. A one point road loss to a fellow Top 10/5 team won't mean much in the grand scheme of things imo...

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
I have CP #10.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
I struggled at how far to move CP up. Thanks for the input.

dewey
November 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Villanova will be fine if they win out. A one point road loss to a fellow Top 10/5 team won't mean much in the grand scheme of things imo...

My thought for them being the most significant loss was that had they won out they would be a top 2 seed. Now assuming NDSU, New Hampshire and possbily Coastal Carolina win out Villanova would have to go on the road in the playoffs.

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm dying to hear how someone has UNH at #1

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Northern Arizona should be ranked at this point. They've given the top two teams in the Big Sky (EWU and Cal Poly) their only conference losses on the season. They've got a couple ugly losses to UNC and USD but they're still 6-3 overall (with a D2 win). They've certainly got a better argument to be in the top 25 than a team like BCU.

For full disclosure here was my ballot:

5: Illinois State Redbirds
6: Richmond Spiders
8: Eastern Washington Eagles
10: McNeese State Cowboys
12: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
13: Indiana State Sycamores
14: Liberty Flames
15: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Cal Poly Mustangs
17: Chattanooga Mocs
18: Montana State Bobcats
19: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
21: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
22: Bryant Bulldogs
23: Harvard Crimson
24: Northern Iowa Panthers
25: James Madison Dukes

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
My thought for them being the most significant loss was that had they won out they would be a top 2 seed. Now assuming NDSU, New Hampshire and possbily Coastal Carolina win out Villanova would have to go on the road in the playoffs.

Dewey

That is true at the moment. Ultimately, they might climb back up to the top 4 which is huge. The Wildcats will be at home for at least one game.

There seems like there could be a record number of 10 win teams this year. Seeding will be VERY interesting....

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
I know ISUr is 7-1...but am I the the only one that's not that impressed with them?

bluehenbillk
November 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
My Poll:

7: Illinois State Redbirds
8: Villanova Wildcats
9: McNeese State Cowboys
10: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
11: Youngstown State Penguins
12: Cal Poly Mustangs
13: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
15: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Indiana State Sycamores
18: Chattanooga Mocs
19: Harvard Crimson
21: Liberty Flames
22: Northern Iowa Panthers
25: Bucknell Bison

Kemo
November 3rd, 2014, 01:13 PM
I know ISUr is 7-1...but am I the the only one that's not that impressed with them?
I thought the probability of UNI beating ISU-Red was fairly high being that UNI's defense matched up well against their offense.

While the Redbirds took SDSU to the woodshed in their game, Roberson's passing ability was very underwhelming to me. However, ISU's read option wrecked the Jacks (plus the 3 first quarter turnovers), as the combination of Roberson and Coprich are electric, especially in the open field. After seeing UNI play the Jacks, I know the Panther's front 7 is legit, and teams that can win the battles against ISU's big O-line are the ones that will give the Redbirds trouble. The thing is, there aren't a ton of teams that can do this, but UNI is one of them.

tomq04
November 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM

This was the first thing I checked for and the only thing that gave me a WTF face.

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Here's mine.

5: Youngstown State Penguins
8: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
9: Illinois State Redbirds
10: McNeese State Cowboys
11: Indiana State Sycamores
13: Chattanooga Mocs
15: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
16: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
19: Bryant Bulldogs
20: James Madison Dukes
21: Montana Grizzlies
22: Northern Iowa Panthers
23: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
24: Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
25: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

MSW: Cal Poly (whole perception changed)
MSL: Western Carolina (can't be even thinking about playoffs now making SoCon a win bid league most likely....)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
Like many I shot Poly up into the 10-12 range, put the Montana teams around 20ish, and stuck NAU in my poll at 25. Like many have a devil of a time getting the Big Sky right this year.

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
6: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
7: Youngstown State Penguins
8: Fordham Rams
9: Eastern Washington Eagles
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Illinois State Redbirds
13: Montana State Bobcats
14: Indiana State Sycamores
15: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
16: McNeese State Cowboys
17: Montana Grizzlies
18: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
19: Liberty Flames
20: Northern Iowa Panthers
21: James Madison Dukes
22: Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
23: Harvard Crimson
25: Idaho State Bengals

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2014, 01:41 PM

I don't vote, so it wasn't me! I would like to hear from that fan, though, too! NDSU is clear #1 in my book.

REALBird
November 3rd, 2014, 01:43 PM

Clenz,

I think you've made that pretty clear since the beginning of the year that you've been less than impressed with Illinois State. Call me crazy, I think you're a pretty knowledgeable guy, but is it also possible that a bit of "feelings" might be impacting your judgment?

Seriously, I thought UNI played a hellava schedule prior to ISU. They were the team who NEEDED the W more last week. David Johnson carried that team, and quite honestly special teams and DEF was every bit the difference, in addition to DJ's monster game.

Illinois State has been playing tight the last four weeks. First job was getting the elusive Road W for the first time in years @ Indiana State which wasn't easy. Second was beating WIU on the road, who we have the second longest rivalry with aside from EIU. It was their Homecoming, and at least for them a "rivalry" game. We did just enough to win that game. Then we beat MSU by two TD's at home, in which the offense and defense played tight going into the 4Q. But with each game, we've seemed to play tighter and tighter. Longest win streak to start the season since 1952 or something after beating MSU.

The kids had a lot of pressure keeping the streak going, and doing something noone in ISU football history had done before to start the season. I agree if you're judging them based on the last four games, they probably didn't look so impressive. But what about EIU, what about SDSU? We did what we needed to do against teams that were inferfior to us in AP, MVSU, etc.

No excuses, we lost. I can live with that. As much as I hate to say it, I'm feeling "good" about the loss to UNI. I think the pressure is off and the kids can just get back to playing football. At the end of the day, I've respected your insight about your own team and others. Just seems that I've picked up on this vibe about ISU all season. :)

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Clenz,

I think you've made that pretty clear since the beginning of the year that you've been less than impressed with Illinois State. Call me crazy, I think you're a pretty knowledgeable guy, but is it also possible that a bit of "feelings" might be impacting your judgment?

Seriously, I thought UNI played a hellava schedule prior to ISU. They were the team who NEEDED the W more last week. David Johnson carried that team, and quite honestly special teams and DEF was every bit the difference, in addition to DJ's monster game.

Illinois State has been playing tight the last four weeks. First job was getting the elusive Road W for the first time in years @ Indiana State which wasn't easy. Second was beating WIU on the road, who we have the second longest rivalry with aside from EIU. It was their Homecoming, and at least for them a "rivalry" game. We did just enough to win that game. Then we beat MSU by two TD's at home, in which the offense and defense played tight going into the 4Q. But with each game, we've seemed to play tighter and tighter. Longest win streak to start the season since 1952 or something after beating MSU.

The kids had a lot of pressure keeping the streak going, and doing something noone in ISU football history had done before to start the season. I agree if you're judging them based on the last four games, they probably didn't look so impressive. But what about EIU, what about SDSU? We did what we needed to do against teams that were inferfior to us in AP, MVSU, etc.

No excuses, we lost. I can live with that. As much as I hate to say it, I'm feeling "good" about the loss to UNI. I think the pressure is off and the kids can just get back to playing football. At the end of the day, I've respected your insight about your own team and others. Just seems that I've picked up on this vibe about ISU all season. :)
I hear that from every fanbase in the MVFC - "you just hate us" blah blah blah.

No, I don't have any ill feelings towards any MVFC program and I don't go out of my way to belittle any program. The Redbird schedule has been kind, IMO. They've made plays they need too to get the W's and I credit them for that. A team can only live on the edge for so long before it eventually catches them and I think it's starting to catch them.

Maybe the pressure of not having a 0 in the loss column will fix it. The OOC schedule that they played means nothing to me - just like UNI's OOC FCS schedule. It's weak and proves nothing.

I don't trust that offense, or any offense, to continue to get down 2 or 3 scores and make a furious come back as frequently as ISU is trying to do in conference play.

It's noting "personal" with the Redbirds, by any stretch. The talent is clearly there. I just don't trust that set up. To bring it to basketball terms I'd compare it to Marty-ball. It looks good and can create some impressive stats/performances. I just don't trust it long run.

Now, if ISU can start jumping on teams early I might change my tune

Kemo
November 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
My poll:

Bison dominate the 2nd half and continue to tighten their grip on the #1 seed.

Cats pounce on the #2 spot after Nova and ISU-Red take a tumble.

3: Richmond Spiders

Climbed the proverbial "waterspout" after sinking their fangs into a Wildcat team that had been playing some really good football.

4: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

The phrase "keep on truck'n" comes to mind when considering the Chaos Chickens' performance to date.

1 point loss to a really good Richmond team doesn't do much to diminish what they've done so far this season.

6: Illinois State Redbirds

Lost to a good team that was a tough match up for them. Resume still incredibly strong.

7: Jacksonville State Gamecocks

Strangely, they actually drop 1 spot from last week at no fault of their own. This is because of Richmond being elevated by their big win and I couldn't justify moving Illinois State or Nova below them based of each team's body of work. It also doesn't help that Austin Peay is the personification of a bye week and the Gamecocks still haven't played some of the better teams in the OVC.

8: Eastern Washington Eagles

Nothing like a game against a team with no nickname to right the ship.

The Penguins are lucky that USD remembered that they were USD in the 4th quarter. Interested to see how they finish the season.

10: Indiana State Sycamores

That trick kick return (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9dHkIIb9GU) keeps the Trees' strong resume from being uprooted.

11: Northern Iowa Panthers

Finally added a signature win to their list of impressive losses.

12: Chattanooga Mocs

Blow out win keeps Chatty Cathy on pace for the SoCon crown.

13: Liberty Flames

Good OOC competition and an improved Big South helps land them here.

14: Eastern Kentucky Colonels

We'll see where this team really is at after next week's game against the team based out of Jacksonville, but not the one in Florida.

15: Cal Poly Mustangs

Really have turned their season around after a Montana sweep. Still have my doubts about the strength of the Big Sky this year beyond a healthy EWU, but have to give them their due.

16: Montana State Bobcats

Still don't have a real good win on their schedule, but the strong showing against a healthy EWU and a string of "Okay" wins is what's propping up the RobertCats.

17: McNeese State Cowboys

Same boat as Montana State, except their Nebraska sail is catching the most tailwind.

18: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

A team that shows it can compete with anyone... for a half. Wins over my #11 and #15 with losses to my #1, #6, #9 makes them hard to rank. Can't lose another if they want any chance at the playoffs.

19: Idaho State Bengals

The striped cats have a difficult schedule to gauge with 2 FBS and lower division games. Cal Poly game next week with be telling.

The Griz really need to beat EWU, as their quality wins are lacking.

21: Southeastern Louisiana Lions

SE Missouri State loss is looking worse as the season goes on as well as the SF Austin loss. I might even have them overvalued at #21. McNeese game will be huge for them.

22: Bryant Bulldogs

They are here to show I don't actually hate all football played in the Northeast (I kid, I kid... there resume really isn't too bad).

The Bulldogs-That-Wear-Too-Much-Bling finally make it into my top 25 after a nice victory over the Tribe.

24: Southern Illinois Salukis

Back into my top 25 after a bye due to other teams dropping games.

The Lumberjacks might have the largest spread between the quality of wins and losses in the entire FCS. While EWU and Poly are a couple of nice scalps, loses to USD and NoColorado are almost as bad as those wins are good.

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Find it interesting that so many thought that a 1 point HOME win was enough to push UR above Nova - I kept Nova a spot above Richmond

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Find it interesting that so many thought that a 1 point HOME win was enough to push UR above Nova - I kept Nova a spot above Richmond
That's what I don't get. How does it make sense that you have them equivalent basically but the lower slot goes to the winner. If you had thought Nova was a lot better and just had a bad game or even just several spots better I'd get that more than having them stacked and having Richmond on bottom.

I mean I can see it and don't have a problem with it but at that point...I'd have to give the switch just because Richmond did win.

robsnotes4u
November 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
It would be interesting to hear the rationale of voters who did put Cal Poly below the Montana teams. The poll with 78 votes ended
#15 Grizzlies
#17 Cats
#18 Cal Poly

The individuals who posted their polls up to this point in the thread have it more correct in my mind; Cal Poly, MSU, and UM.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
- - - Updated - - -

That's what I don't get. How does it make sense that you have them equivalent basically but the lower slot goes to the winner. If you had thought Nova was a lot better and just had a bad game or even just several spots better I'd get that more than having them stacked and having Richmond on bottom.

I mean I can see it and don't have a problem with it but at that point...I'd have to give the switch just because Richmond did win.

^^Fair points and i think ranking Richmond and Villanova above or below one another is probably splitting hairs at this point.

With that said, we moved the ball 130 yards more than the Cats and had 3 trips to the red zone result in zero points. One of them was a fumble on the 1 foot line.

Villanova gave away some opportunities too but a 'clean' game probably would have seen us win something like 24 to 17.

But again, both teams won't be winning the CAA but have everything else to play for. The relative ranking now really doesn't matter.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 3rd, 2014, 02:56 PM

I don't vote, so it wasn't me! I would like to hear from that fan, though, too! NDSU is clear #1 in my book.

I don't vote either and I don't know any UNH fan who would vote UNH #1 over NDSU. I think Ursus said last week that the person making this vote was not a UNH fan.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I don't vote either and I don't know any UNH fan who would vote UNH #1 over NDSU. I think Ursus said last week that the person making this vote was not a UNH fan.

It can't be a UNH fan, otherwise it would be a homer vote and tossed.

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM

No, I don't have any ill feelings towards any MVFC program and I don't go out of my way to belittle any program. The Redbird schedule has been kind, IMO. They've made plays they need too to get the W's and I credit them for that. A team can only live on the edge for so long before it eventually catches them and I think it's starting to catch them.

Maybe the pressure of not having a 0 in the loss column will fix it. The OOC schedule that they played means nothing to me - just like UNI's OOC FCS schedule. It's weak and proves nothing.

I don't trust that offense, or any offense, to continue to get down 2 or 3 scores and make a furious come back as frequently as ISU is trying to do in conference play.

It's noting "personal" with the Redbirds, by any stretch. The talent is clearly there. I just don't trust that set up. To bring it to basketball terms I'd compare it to Marty-ball. It looks good and can create some impressive stats/performances. I just don't trust it long run.

Here's my problem with both ISUr and ISUb from a standpoint of where they are hoping to be (ISUr with a playoff seed and ISUb with a playoff spot)

both teams have been playing with fire all season. I think they deserve to be in the conversation they want but they need to fix some problems and sure up their strengths.

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Here's my problem with both ISUr and ISUb from a standpoint of where they are hoping to be (ISUr with a playoff seed and ISUb with a playoff spot)

both teams have been playing with fire all season. I think they deserve to be in the conversation they want but they need to fix some problems and sure up their strengths.
You are right, the Sycs are another team playing with fire with their results so far.

At some point that fire will burn you if you don't correct the issue.

ISU's biggest issue early was the lack of a run game. They are still last in the conference in rush offense (just 550 yards on the season in conference play) but it has looked better the last 2 weeks or so. Statistically ISUb is middle of the pack in every other category. At some point that trend changes or the fire burns the Sycs to the ground (pun happily unintentional)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM

It can't be a UNH fan because the vote would be rejected if it were. A homer can vote for their team #1 but they need at least one other person to agree with them that is not a fan of that particular team.

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
You are right, the Sycs are another team playing with fire with their results so far.

At some point that fire will burn you if you don't correct the issue.

ISU's biggest issue early was the lack of a run game. They are still last in the conference in rush offense (just 550 yards on the season in conference play) but it has looked better the last 2 weeks or so. Statistically ISUb is middle of the pack in every other category. At some point that trend changes or the fire burns the Sycs to the ground (pun happily unintentional)

agreed. ISUb's big problem is not playing a whole game. I didnt see this week's MSU game but I'm going to assume they got momentum a bunch of times and pissed it away. Maybe Saturday will get their heads out of their asses but honestly the only surprising losses in the conference is when someone beats NDSU. if they can hold Zenner to big plays and not highlight reel plays I'll give them the advantage. I dont know anything about the QB they got back.

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2014, 03:29 PM
It can't be a UNH fan because the vote would be rejected if it were. A homer can vote for their team #1 but they need at least one other person to agree with them that is not a fan of that particular team.

So its an EWU fan with an overblown hatred for all things NDSU? :D xlolx

REALBird
November 3rd, 2014, 03:30 PM

Fair assessment. I too would like to see us just come out and punch a team in the mouth on occassion. But I think the offense will be OK once our OC gets his head out of his rear end. He was slow to devise a game plan for the corner blitz Indiana St, WIU and Missouri State tried to throw at us. He was slow to adjust to anything UNI did last week, rushing 4 and dropping 7 into a Cover 2/Cover 3 with the QB spy.

I'd expect everyone to throw more DEF wrinkles at our offense. But I think we'll be OK. Incorporating the no huddle has had some success, and the running game has been consistent. We just need Roberson to run more, and make good throws. He's trying to be a drop back QB instead of an athlete. He needs to go back to what works for him and run the damned ball.

KUlawJack
November 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
agreed. ISUb's big problem is not playing a whole game. I didnt see this week's MSU game but I'm going to assume they got momentum a bunch of times and pissed it away. Maybe Saturday will get their heads out of their asses but honestly the only surprising losses in the conference is when someone beats NDSU. if they can hold Zenner to big plays and not highlight reel plays I'll give them the advantage. I dont know anything about the QB they got back.

That's our problem too. We play half of the game well usually, at least as far as the defense is concerned.

As to Sumner returning for SDSU, he hadn't played in 8 or 9 weeks and was playing at NDSU. Tough to gauge with such a small sample size. He's better than the back up though - that is clear. We can now stretch the field since he has the arm to do it. Our back up couldn't do that at all really. Our redshirt freshman WR got dinged against NDSU on his long TD catch and didn't play in the second half. I hope we have him back for this weekend. We will need him against you guys.

gotts
November 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM

I'd put better odds on it being a NDSU than an EWU fan!

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
I'd put better odds on it being a NDSU than an EWU fan!

Is it you? :D

Hey Ursus, could you tell us which conference the voter is affiliated with that has UNH #1 on the ballot submission?

4 scenarios:

A) Self loathing Bison Fan
B) Angry EWU fan
C) East Coast bias (PL, Ivy, CAA)
D) Southern speed

gotts
November 3rd, 2014, 03:36 PM

Hey Ursus, could you tell us which conference the voter is affiliated with that has UNH #1 on the ballot submission?

It's not me. I homer voted my #1.

kalm
November 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM

4 scenarios:

B) Angry EWU fan
D) Southern speed

SEC fan.

Trumpster
November 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM

Better yet, can you tell us a conference affiliation, but then a different one the next time someone asks?

thebootfitter
November 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
There was a thread several weeks ago where at least one or two EWU fans at that time admitted to voting for either Nova or UNH over the Bison. I don't recall the details, but they did have a fair point at that time. Whoever it is may just be a slot voter and they haven't seen UNH do anything to drop since that point in the season. Kind of unrealistic, if you ask me, but there's room for more than one perspective in the AGS poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM

4 scenarios:

B) Angry EWU fan
D) Southern speed

I'll take out 1/2 the options for you but tha's it. It is not A or B.

tomq04
November 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
I voted Nova #1 for all of a single week. I also put EWU #1 preseason, everything else has been NDSU.

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:54 PM

Damn yankees

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
There was a thread several weeks ago where at least one or two EWU fans at that time admitted to voting for either Nova or UNH over the Bison. I don't recall the details, but they did have a fair point at that time. Whoever it is may just be a slot voter and they haven't seen UNH do anything to drop since that point in the season. Kind of unrealistic, if you ask me, but there's room for more than one perspective in the AGS poll.

I have had both Villanover and NDSU at #1 at different points this season. Now it is pretty firmly NDSU however.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
It's not me. I homer voted my #1.

Same here!

clawman
November 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Agreed. Cal Poly mad the biggest jump (up or down) in my poll and I was wondering how others were going to handle it.

Dewey
So, if Idaho State beats Cal Poly in Pocatello, will ISU move up or Cal Poly go down?
"Both" is not an option

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 04:01 PM
So, if Idaho State beats Cal Poly in Pocatello, will ISU move up or Cal Poly go down?
"Both" is not an option

That game will be one of the best in the country all year I predict.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 04:15 PM
"Both" is not an option

Both is an option.

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Since NAU seems to give all of us a headache ;) - most inconsistent team Two top 25 wins (Poly and EWU), both at home, two close road losses to bad teams (UNC and USD). It seems like NAU is dinged for the losses more than getting credit for the wins. So tell, gentle voters, where would you have ranked NAU if they had won one or both of the road losses?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Since NAU seems to give all of us a headache ;) - most inconsistent team Two top 25 wins (Poly and EWU), both at home, two close road losses to bad teams (UNC and USD). It seems like NAU is dinged for the losses more than getting credit for the wins. So tell, gentle voters, where would you have ranked NAU if they had won one or both of the road losses?

I think that's true. But if you don't have confidence in a team then you likely won't have them real high. If NAU had won those games they'd be in the 10 to 15 range I'd think.

ElCid
November 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM

4 scenarios:

B) Angry EWU fan
D) Southern speed

We have to apply a little psychology here. We need to figure out who would benefit from ranking NH over NDSU. Or who has twisted motives to do so.

I can see some Lehigh fan wanting to say they played a team who is receiving a number 1 vote, but they aren't in it so what is there to gain other than spite for taking periodic hits on the weak PL schedule. I guess it could be an Ivy for the same reason.

I don't think it is a CAA voter, that is a little too obvious but I guess it could always be a Towson fan distraught at their teams demise after losing it last year.

Or maybe it is some hold over App St or Ga So closet fan who still votes and does not want to see their glorious records eclipsed by the Bison and they think every little bit helps.

Or maybe it is an SHSU fan who is still smarting over their getting bounced a couple times for the title and they feel this is their payback, however small.

Aren't conspiracy theories grand?!

thebootfitter
November 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM
I think maybe it is someone who wants everyone else to start cooking up conspiracy theories. ;)

Fordham
November 3rd, 2014, 06:26 PM
I thought we had determined that it was a JMU fan, no? Or am I thinking of someone who gave 'Nova a #1 ranking in prior weeks?

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Being that there are only maybe 3 of us active really on the boards/ voting it was not me. I toyed with Nova but never did it...

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Since there is a 34 page thread of who can beat NDSU, maybe it was one of the 3 pages of people who weren't NDSU fans posting "nobody"

BlueHenSinfonian
November 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Here's mine:

4: Villanova Wildcats
5: Eastern Washington Eagles
6: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
7: Richmond Spiders
8: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
9: Illinois State Redbirds
10: Youngstown State Penguins
12: McNeese State Cowboys
13: Indiana State Sycamores
14: Bryant Bulldogs
15: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
16: Bucknell Bison
17: Cal Poly Mustangs
18: Montana State Bobcats
19: Montana Grizzlies
21: Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
22: Chattanooga Mocs
23: Liberty Flames
24: North Carolina A&T Aggies
25: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

HailSzczur
November 3rd, 2014, 08:24 PM
Really thought it would have been ISUr for the biggest loss of the week. Undefeated, winners of 7 straight and #5 in last weeks poll. Just starting to attract attention for a Top 4 seed, saw some people saying the could get a 2 seed.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2014, 08:50 PM
Or maybe it is an SHSU fan who is still smarting over their getting bounced a couple times for the title and they feel this is their payback, however small.

We'd rather lose to an FCS dynasty than not. Doubt it came from one of us. I don't vote.

We like the Bison and hope our program is as successful as theirs one day.

So no one has any justification for McNeese and SELA being ranked? Didn't think so...

McNeese75
November 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
We'd rather lose to an FCS dynasty than not. Doubt it came from one of us. I don't vote.

We like the Bison and hope our program is as successful as theirs one day.

So no one has any justification for McNeese and SELA being ranked? Didn't think so...

Don't get butthurt and who knows, maybe we will get lucky and hand you the conference championship on a shingle.

Bisonator
November 3rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
I'd say if the person who put UNH #1 doesn't have the nads to come on here and stand by it he should probably be removed from the voting.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 11:11 PM
No one is going to be removed from voting for choosing not to publicly disseminate their ballot.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
I'd say if the person who put UNH #1 doesn't have the nads to come on here and stand by it he should probably be removed from the voting.

No, that ain't how it works. Let's not over react to little things.

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 11:30 PM
No, that ain't how it works. Let's not over react to little things.
Yeah, that was a pretty dip**** comment.

BisonFan02
November 4th, 2014, 12:04 AM

Or not...............................................

mvemjsunpx
November 4th, 2014, 12:56 AM
(previous week in parentheses)

1. North Dakota St. (1)
2. New Hampshire (3)
3. Jacksonville St. (5)
4. Coastal Carolina (6)
5. Richmond (8)
6. Villanova (2)
7. Youngstown St. (9)
8. Illinois St. (4)
9. Tennessee-Chattanooga (13)
10. Fordham (10)
11. Eastern Washington (11)
12. Indiana St. (12)
13. Eastern Kentucky (15)
14. Cal Poly (17)
15. Montana St. (16)
16. Montana (18)
17. McNeese St. (19)
18. Liberty (20)
19. Idaho St. (16)
20. James Madison (NR)
21. Southeastern Louisiana (22)
22. Bethune-Cookman (23)
23. South Dakota St. (14)
24. Northern Iowa (NR)
25. Southern Illinois (24)

W - Northern Iowa
L - Western Carolina

Dropped - Presbyterian (21), William & Mary (25)

Rjones61
November 4th, 2014, 02:04 AM
EWU is really going to shock some folks when Vernon is back.

UNH Fanboi
November 4th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Are some Bison fans so in need of reaffirmation that a single vote against the Bison upsets them so much?

This reminds me of the joke about the dictator who won reelection 99% to 1%. After the results came in, his advisors were very pleased with how good of a job they had done rigging the election, but the dictator was visibly upset. One of his advisers said, "You won the election with 99% of the vote. What else could you ask for?" The dictator responded: "The names of the people in the 1%."

dewey
November 4th, 2014, 06:08 AM
EWU is really going to shock some folks when Vernon is back.

How is EWU going to shock anyone? They were a top 3 team in the country when he was healthy and dropped in the polls due to a road loss to NAU with the backup quarterback.

I agree that people should NOT have to post their poll publicly. If someone thinks UNH is better than so be it...God the playoffs are great.

Dewey

dewey
November 4th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Are some Bison fans so in need of reaffirmation that a single vote against the Bison upsets them so much?

Thank you for saying "some" and not "all"

Dewey

Mattymc727
November 4th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I like this witch hunt thing though. Lets keep it going.

Maybe it was Chattownmocs?

Maybe a Richmond voter that wants to pump up their only conference loss?

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I like this witch hunt thing though. Lets keep it going.

Maybe it was Chattownmocs?

Maybe a Richmond voter that wants to pump up their only conference loss?

I may just put UNH #1 in order to see the Bison fans go crazy as I defend it.... They are making UNH look rather appealing or even an undefeated CCU...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2014, 08:17 AM

This reminds me of the joke about the dictator who won reelection 99% to 1%. After the results came in, his advisors were very pleased with how good of a job they had done rigging the election, but the dictator was visibly upset. One of his advisers said, "You won the election with 99% of the vote. What else could you ask for?" The dictator responded: "The names of the people in the 1%."

If it were any team, the outlier would cause some discussion. Everybody is just wondering what is the rationale.

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I may just put UNH #1 in order to see the Bison fans go crazy as I defend it.... They are making UNH look rather appealing or even an undefeated CCU...
I might be with you next week, if NDSU wins.

Just for ****s and giggles.

dwtime
November 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM

4 scenarios:

B) Angry EWU fan
D) Southern speed

Why would you put A) as a possible scenario? That is physically impossible!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 08:57 AM
"Man, the Broncos are really going to shock some people once Peyton Manning comes back!" xlolx

More seriously, EWU/Montana will be a great game. Will be interesting to see at what % Adams can operate after his injury.

Mattymc727
November 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Heres a question. If NDSU does lose to UNI, and UNH holds serve against a dreadful URI. Do you think NDSU should drop behind UNH?

I dont, but that one vote may turn into a lot more.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM
1 voter thinks UNH is better than NDSU? Holy **** folks I'm gonna go set some cars on fire and loot an electronics store.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Heres a question. If NDSU does lose to UNI, and UNH holds serve against a dreadful URI. Do you think NDSU should drop behind UNH?

I think they would drop to #2 behind UNH and possibly #3 behind CCU just because most people feel the need to drop teams after a loss, even if it's a close road loss to a good conference opponent. See Villanova last week. I fell into it myself and because I wanted to rank Richmond ahead of them. Now that I think more about it I shouldn't have dropped them as far as I did.

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I think they would drop to #2 behind UNH and possibly #3 behind CCU just because most people feel the need to drop teams after a loss, even if it's a close road loss to a good conference opponent. See Villanova last week. I fell into it myself and because I wanted to rank Richmond ahead of them. Now that I think more about it I shouldn't have dropped them as far as I did.
It would be a loss to a 5-4 (6-4) team that has a terrible offense though

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2014, 10:15 AM

19975.....IFIN'...#1.....LOSES TA N. IOWAH.......AN'...#2.....EKES OUT UH W...OVERAH RHODEY........NEW HAMPSHIRE...WHIFF UH BULLET.......xrolleyesx...C'MON MAN!

PS....NUFFIN' SPECIAL 'BOUT NORFFERN IOWAH.......PER CLENZ!.....SO BAD LOSS BIZONSSSS............xnodx......BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 10:24 AM
19975.....IFIN'...#1.....LOSES TA N. IOWAH.......AN'...#2.....EKES OUT UH W...OVERAH RHODEY........NEW HAMPSHIRE...WHIFF UH BULLET.......xrolleyesx...C'MON MAN!

PS....NUFFIN' SPECIAL 'BOUT NORFFERN IOWAH.......PER CLENZ!.....SO BAD LOSS BIZONSSSS............xnodx......BRAWK!

But remember, the MVFC is God's Gift to FCS conferences, so even losses to .500 MVFC teams are Great Losses, according to those on here... xlolx

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 10:25 AM
But remember, the MVFC is God's Gift to FCS conferences, so even losses to .500 MVFC teams are Great Losses, according to those on here... xlolx
If you don't think SDSU/UNI/SIU would rape the Patriot/SoCon/NEC/MEAC...then...well...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
If you don't think SDSU/UNI/SIU would rape the Patriot/SoCon/NEC/MEAC...then...well...

Let's PLEASE set up that playoff matchup with Fordham. Just sayin'.

Mattymc727
November 4th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Good points, but dont you have to look at the overall resume?

NDSU at 9-1 with FBS win has a better resume than an 8-1 UNH team with an FBS loss IMO

Or maybe you have to go

1. CCU
2. UNH
3. NDSU

at that point

bostonspider
November 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Well yes that FBS win is better than any win UNH would have, but that FCS loss would be worse than any loss UNH would have too..

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM
dgreco, stop being a ****ing pussy and neg repping me because I used the word rape.

Don't pull **** like that and not expect to be called on it.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Good points, but dont you have to look at the overall resume?

NDSU at 9-1 with FBS win has a better resume than an 8-1 UNH team with an FBS loss IMO

Or maybe you have to go

1. CCU
2. UNH
3. NDSU

at that point

19977..........BIZONSSS WHIFF ONE FCS LOSS/'CATS......NO FCS LOSS......IT'S WHAAAA WE HAVE UH COURT SYSTEM...AN' FBS LOSS=BYE WEEK WHEN YA LOSE ONE.....UH-OH....MOUSE BATTERIES LOW.........TIME TA RELOAD.......FO' MO' VALLEY SQWAK.....DOODLE-DOO!

KUlawJack
November 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM

I know nothing of Fordham. Do they have a physical defense and a physical offensive line? Run the ball well?

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I know nothing of Fordham. Do they have a physical defense and a physical offensive line? Run the ball well?

Physical defense, yes. Offensive line, eh. But we have athletes. Lots and lots of them. Do those MVFC teams have great secondaries? That's why I just want to see these kind of matchups, I think they're cool football philosophy matchups

Mattymc727
November 4th, 2014, 11:01 AM
19977..........BIZONSSS WHIFF ONE FCS LOSS/'CATS......NO FCS LOSS......IT'S WHAAAA WE HAVE UH COURT SYSTEM...AN' FBS LOSS=BYE WEEK WHEN YA LOSE ONE.....UH-OH....MOUSE BATTERIES LOW.........TIME TA RELOAD.......FO' MO' VALLEY SQWAK.....DOODLE-DOO!

Good points Chicken. I guess it amounts to what you emphasize more, a loss or a win.

I do feel that UNH is beatable, and I dont think NDSU is until I see it with my own eyes.

Kinda getting off track here, but it feels like NDSU is a top 25 FBS team stuck in the FCS right now. And while UNH is a top 5 FCS team, I dont think they can beat a top 25 FBS team. But can you rank them that way?

BisonBacker
November 4th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Sorry if you don't like facts but the MVFC is the best conference in the FCS. You can diss it all you like but it won't change that fact.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Good points Chicken. I guess it amounts to what you emphasize more, a loss or a win.

I do feel that UNH is beatable, and I dont think NDSU is until I see it with my own eyes.

19978.....19979.....AGREED.......DIS WAS ALL MYTHICAL....AN' HIGHLAH.....UNLIKELY.....BUT FUN TA SMEAR A$$ WIPE.....ON DUH SKANDIES...;)...AWK!

OOOOPS!.......LITTLE EARLAH....WHIFF DUH PICS...xembarrassedx...AWK!

UNIFanSince1983
November 4th, 2014, 11:10 AM

Obviously, Fordham is a good team, but do you not think SDSU/UNI/SIU couldn't be in the same position with that same schedule to this point?

They all probably lose to Villanova, but they all probably dumpster the rest of the teams on that schedule. I also think if Fordham played in the Valley week in and week out they could do fairly well. They would be probably middle of the pack similar to those three MVFC teams. In a one game playoff match up Fordham could probably win against any of those teams. The thing is I think there are multiple teams in the Valley that would be doing the exact same thing they are with that same schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Obviously, Fordham is a good team, but do you not think SDSU/UNI/SIU couldn't be in the same position with that same schedule to this point?

A very fair point, which is why I'd like to see that playoff matchup!

Grizalltheway
November 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Sorry if you don't like facts but the MVFC is the best conference in the FCS. You can diss it all you like but it won't change that fact.

Yeah, and one of these years they might actually prove it in the playoffs, instead of just using the "meat grinder" copout...

UNIFanSince1983
November 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and one of these years they might actually prove it in the playoffs, instead of just using the "meat grinder" copout...

And maybe one year they will get as many teams in as some of the other conferences that claim to be better.

I mean the BSC gets 4 teams in and only 1 of them even wins a game. The MVFC gets 2 in and both win at least one game. Both conferences had the same number of semi-finalists when the MVFC had 50% less teams in.

If we get 4 in this year and crap the bed and some other conference gets that many and has more success I will give them their due.

BisonTru
November 4th, 2014, 11:30 AM

What? The last three FCS champions have come from the MVFC.

Uh but, after NDSU.

If you take NDSU out of the MVFC and replace it with any of the 6 or so powder puff teams at the bottom of the BSC you can automatically add another win to all of the MVFC teams. The MVFC probably gets 5 maybe 6 playoff bids with that scenario.

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately, SDSU/UNI/SIU are too far west to get the prime pickin's of an NEC, MEAC #2, or Patriot League team first round. In fact, should SDSU make the play-off field, they'll be one of the last selected, play a Southland or Big Sky team 1st round, and then, so they'll get sent to Fargo, again, in the 2nd round, as they are the ONLY team possible within 400 miles of Fargo.

Meanwhile, the Patriot will play a CAA #2 (or #3), NEC champ, or MEAC #2. Only possible way that the MVFC gets the NEC champ or Patriot champ is YSU getting the game.

Bisonator
November 4th, 2014, 02:03 PM
If it were any team, the outlier would cause some discussion. Everybody is just wondering what is the rationale.

This!

I don't care who it was I just wonder why and what the reasoning is, is that so bad? Seriously you look at UNH and NDSU schedules and I don't know how you could say UNH should be #1.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM

Tried that last year but they got their **** stomped by Towson.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2014, 02:18 PM
This!

I don't care who it was I just wonder why and what the reasoning is, is that so bad? Seriously you look at UNH and NDSU schedules and I don't know how you could say UNH should be #1.
The point is the quibble is about one voter who has NDSU at #2 instead of like everyone else at #1. If NDSU would have 1945 points or something like that meaning that this last voter had them at #6 then there's a reason to be questioning the merits of that ballot. Are there these kind of demands for other teams elsewhere in the poll when a pollster puts a team 1 spot off where the consensus says they should be? Of course not. Just let it go.

Bisonator
November 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM
The point is the quibble is about one voter who has NDSU at #2 instead of like everyone else at #1. If NDSU would have 1945 points or something like that meaning that this last voter had them at #6 then there's a reason to be questioning the merits of that ballot. Are there these kind of demands for other teams elsewhere in the poll when a pollster puts a team 1 spot off where the consensus says they should be? Of course not. Just let it go.

No because no other spot is really as important as #1. Again It makes no difference just wondering the rationale. You would think whoever did it would be able to put some reason. When you have an unbeaten team with a FBS victory and wins over several top 25 teams and another with hardly any and you put that team #1 I think it's reasonable to ask why.

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, SDSU/UNI/SIU are too far west to get the prime pickin's of an NEC, MEAC #2, or Patriot League team first round. In fact, should SDSU make the play-off field, they'll be one of the last selected, play a Southland or Big Sky team 1st round, and then, so they'll get sent to Fargo, again, in the 2nd round, as they are the ONLY team possible within 400 miles of Fargo.

Meanwhile, the Patriot will play a CAA #2 (or #3), NEC champ, or MEAC #2. Only possible way that the MVFC gets the NEC champ or Patriot champ is YSU getting the game.
Exactly this.

UNI/SDSU/SIU will all draw the SLC champ and then be sent to EWU/NDSU.

UNI used to draw eastern teams in the 16 team field (UD twice, UNH thrice, Richmond) but in the new field it will be exclusively SLC/MVFC teams with some Big Sky...unless Drake/Valpo win the PL

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Reasoned thought on the matter. Well done.

Nator, I don't think the problem was you wanting to know. Nobody has a problem with that. The problem arose when you said "take their vote away" because they hadn't stepped up to answer your question. Just because we desire an explanation doesn't mean we change the rules mid stream to force the issue.

When you have someone vote a team one place off what the consensus has them at there is no need for a discussion on it as far as I'm concerned if no other rules on the matter are broken.

"I think they are one spot better than everyone thinks" is not something I would be willing to argue with anyone. "I can see that" would be my response so consider this the explanation.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
No because no other spot is really as important as #1. Again It makes no difference just wondering the rationale. You would think whoever did it would be able to put some reason. When you have an unbeaten team with a FBS victory and wins over several top 25 teams and another with hardly any and you put that team #1 I think it's reasonable to ask why.

It is reasonable to ask. It is unreasonable to demand an answer when no one else has that demanded of them.xthumbsupx

Bisonator
November 4th, 2014, 02:51 PM
It is reasonable to ask. It is unreasonable to demand an answer when no one else has that demanded of them.xthumbsupx

Fair enough, I'm over it.

Until next week. xlolx

Mattymc727
November 4th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I still want to know. Maybe there's a closet UNH fan that's ready to put on the blue and white.

Kemo
November 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Regionalization just needs to be thrown out the window for the playoffs. Rank them 1-24 and create the bracket accordingly.

The cost excuse needs to be thrown back at the NCAA as well. FCS Playoff travel cost isn't going to break the bank.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Regionalization just needs to be thrown out the window for the playoffs. Rank them 1-24 and create the bracket accordingly.

The cost excuse needs to be thrown back at the NCAA as well. FCS Playoff travel cost isn't going to break the bank.

As I've said many times. Go back and look at things prior to 2001 and you'll see that whether they say they are doing it or not it will still work out so that costs are contained/minimized to the greatest extent possible.

Go check the brackets and you'll see how it is not any different now. Close teams were ranked to play each other while sometimes there was a distance game...just like now. Point is as much as I see this trumpeted, in reality it won't a bit of difference.

Trumpster
November 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM
As I've said many times. Go back and look at things prior to 2001 and you'll see that whether they say they are doing it or not it will still work out so that costs are contained/minimized to the greatest extent possible.

Go check the brackets and you'll see how it is not any different now. Close teams were ranked to play each other while sometimes there was a distance game...just like now. Point is as much as I see this trumpeted, in reality it won't a bit of difference.

Give someone the ability and the motivation to game the system (NCAA make more/lose less money) they will.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Exactly this.

UNI/SDSU/SIU will all draw the SLC champ and then be sent to EWU/NDSU.

UNI used to draw eastern teams in the 16 team field (UD twice, UNH thrice, Richmond) but in the new field it will be exclusively SLC/MVFC teams with some Big Sky...unless Drake/Valpo win the PL

How quickly they forget! Last I checked LU had two scalps of MVFC teams.

edit. Also of a CAA champ.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM
How quickly they forget! Last I checked LU had two scalps of MVFC teams.

edit. Also of a CAA champ.

I think the PL is above .500 against the Gateway/MVFC in the playoffs. Lehigh is 2-1, Colgate is 1-1.....

Thumper 76
November 4th, 2014, 10:29 PM

I dunno, I'm over the whole "we always get sent west" thing. Until SDSU performs well enough to get a seed we'll get what we get. It's the playoffs, you have to beat the good teams. I guess I'm just tired of the whining about it. Is it a bummer to get a high probability of playing at ndsu if we make it? Yeah, but if we beat them in the regular season most years we'll probably get a seed and not have to worry about it. You get what you earn. If SDSU won out this season but gets left out I'll be pretty bummed but it's our fault for losing enough to be in that position.

clenz
November 4th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I dunno, I'm over the whole "we always get sent west" thing. Until SDSU performs well enough to get a seed we'll get what we get. It's the playoffs, you have to beat the good teams. I guess I'm just tired of the whining about it. Is it a bummer to get a high probability of playing at ndsu if we make it? Yeah, but if we beat them in the regular season most years we'll probably get a seed and not have to worry about it. You get what you earn. If SDSU won out this season but gets left out I'll be pretty bummed but it's our fault for losing enough to be in that position.
Don't disagree...

but wouldn't it be nice to not have to run through NDSU/EWU/Montana/another MVFC school/SLC champion every post season? Wouldn't be it nice to get a Pioneer/OVC/MEAC team a little more?

MTfan4life
November 4th, 2014, 11:54 PM
What? The last three FCS champions have come from the MVFC.

Uh but, after NDSU.

If you take NDSU out of the MVFC and replace it with any of the 6 or so powder puff teams at the bottom of the BSC you can automatically add another win to all of the MVFC teams. The MVFC probably gets 5 maybe 6 playoff bids with that scenario.

NDSU has won the last 3 titles, not the MVFC. Take NDSU out of the conference the last 3 years, and maybe one title goes to a team from the conference, although likely the conference would still be talking about Western Kentucky being its last title holder. The Valley doesn't own NDSU, NDSU owns the Valley. NDSU's dominance has built up the level of the Valley.

MTfan4life
November 5th, 2014, 12:03 AM

It could be the other way around. You want less regional settings, but it could be worse. It could be just like Division 2 where each region gets 6 teams regardless of strength and the only way to reach the final 4 is by beating the best team in your region. With the way it is right now, the Big Sky and Southland is the West; the Valley, OVC, and Pioneer is the Midwest; SoCon, Big South and MEAC in the South; and CAA, NEC, and Patriot is the East. Would you prefer that instead?

Kemo
November 5th, 2014, 01:04 AM
I'm not saying regionalization should be thrown out to benefit SDSU, but rather FCS as a whole. I like seeing match ups between opponents that don't face each other very often and I think that a lot of fans would agree. I just think if you are going to have a national tournament, make it national, not regional until you have no choice.

It would also reward teams more for their regular season accomplishments. If a team like NDSU goes undefeated, why would they have to, say, play the 9th best team team while the 8th seed could end up playing one of the bottom seeds (who got pitted against each other in the first round) because of what region they are in. Obviously you have to beat good teams to win a championship, but the probability of winning 3 in a row over an average, good, and very good team is better than winning 3 in a row over a very good, very good, and very good opponent. Plus it gets rid of the silly "bidding" for a home game.

No playoff system will be perfect, but the FCS version could go from good to great with some tweaks.

Kemo
November 5th, 2014, 01:13 AM
It could be the other way around. You want less regional settings, but it could be worse. It could be just like Division 2 where each region gets 6 teams regardless of strength and the only way to reach the final 4 is by beating the best team in your region. With the way it is right now, the Big Sky and Southland is the West; the Valley, OVC, and Pioneer is the Midwest; SoCon, Big South and MEAC in the South; and CAA, NEC, and Patriot is the East. Would you prefer that instead?

I'm aware of the DII playoff system. Just because it is bad doesn't mean the FCS version can't be better.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Don't disagree...

but wouldn't it be nice to not have to run through NDSU/EWU/Montana/another MVFC school/SLC champion every post season? Wouldn't be it nice to get a Pioneer/OVC/MEAC team a little more?

Oh don't get me wrong, it was really nice to have a tune up game vs an OVC school when EIU came to Brookings.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 5th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I'm not saying regionalization should be thrown out to benefit SDSU, but rather FCS as a whole. I like seeing match ups between opponents that don't face each other very often and I think that a lot of fans would agree. I just think if you are going to have a national tournament, make it national, not regional until you have no choice.

It would also reward teams more for their regular season accomplishments. If a team like NDSU goes undefeated, why would they have to, say, play the 9th best team team while the 8th seed could end up playing one of the bottom seeds (who got pitted against each other in the first round) because of what region they are in. Obviously you have to beat good teams to win a championship, but the probability of winning 3 in a row over an average, good, and very good team is better than winning 3 in a row over a very good, very good, and very good opponent. Plus it gets rid of the silly "bidding" for a home game.

No playoff system will be perfect, but the FCS version could go from good to great with some tweaks.

It's the same way now as it always has been. Setting up games close to each other does give some fanbases a chance to go to the games. This is not a money maker. People that poo poo the NCAA for saving some dough are a bit misguided. We got a playoff and bids pay for some of it. I think they are doing the best with what they got.

UNIFanSince1983
November 5th, 2014, 09:14 PM

For the most part that works for me since the MVC then gets OVC and Pioneer teams ;)