PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina: Don Powers?

CSU BUCS
November 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I heard Don Powers announced to the team he was retiring. Does anyone from Western Carolina know of any truth to this?

The Cats
November 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I heard Don Powers announced to the team he was retiring. Does anyone from Western Carolina know of any truth to this?

That one hasn't come across yet. IMO, I'd say, if he does not retire, he'd be replaced as DC anyway. This was his first year back, and Western went from one of the top defensive teams in the SoCon last year, to the very, very worse this year. I'm sure if Briggs does remain, he'll make wholesale changes in the coaching staff.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM
That one hasn't come across yet. IMO, I'd say, if he does not retire, he'd be replaced as DC anyway. This was his first year back, and Western went from one of the top defensive teams in the SoCon last year, to the very, very worse this year. I'm sure if Briggs does remain, he'll make wholesale changes in the coaching staff.
Don Powers is a brilliant defensive coordinator and has been for years in the SoCon. He is extremely well respected. How is he made the scape goat for a squad that lost nearly its entire defensive line to injury and just didn't have any depth? It wasn't Powers' fault that the Cats had all those injuries. I know a member of Powers' family. I'll see if I can track down some news on this on Saturday.

catamount man
November 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Don Powers is a brilliant defensive coordinator and has been for years in the SoCon. He is extremely well respected. How is he made the scape goat for a squad that lost nearly its entire defensive line to injury and just didn't have any depth? It wasn't Powers' fault that the Cats had all those injuries. I know a member of Powers' family. I'll see if I can track down some news on this on Saturday.

He's not being made a scapegoat at all. Hell, 2/3 of the kids hate his ass!!! He is trying to coach a 1980s scheme in the 21st century and that's coming from unnamed fellow coaches. He was good back in his day and if his ass is getting run off, then I applaud Kent all the more for sending him on his merry way. TRUST ME, our kids cannot stand the man!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
He's not being made a scapegoat at all. Hell, 2/3 of the kids hate his ass!!! He is trying to coach a 1980s scheme in the 21st century and that's coming from unnamed fellow coaches. He was good back in his day and if his ass is getting run off, then I applaud Kent all the more for sending him on his merry way. TRUST ME, our kids cannot stand the man!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
From the sound of things over in Cullowhee, it seems like they can't stand Briggs or anyone else either. The word I've been hearing is that there is A LOT of dissension and that things are really melting down over there. If coaches are talking against each other, that just shows you how bad things are. WCU doesn't have the money to do it, but it sounds like they need to clean house.

Funny, but the 1980s/early 90s scheme that Appalachian State is running seems to be doing pretty well. It all comes down to having the athletes and staying healthy. Sad when people start pointing fingers and laying blame on each other. That isn't a healthy program when stuff like that is going on.

The Cats
November 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. C] Don Powers is a brilliant defensive coordinatorQUOTE]

At one time, he was no doubt. My guess is the game has passed him by. Don Powers has a good long history with WCU, and it's very unfortunate how his return to Cullowhee has turned out. We realize his problem with injuries, BUT that was only a contributing factor to our defensive woes this season.

catamount man
November 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
From the sound of things over in Cullowhee, it seems like they can't stand Briggs or anyone else either. The word I've been hearing is that there is A LOT of dissension and that things are really melting down over there. If coaches are talking against each other, that just shows you how bad things are. WCU doesn't have the money to do it, but it sounds like they need to clean house.

Funny, but the 1980s/early 90s scheme that Appalachian State is running seems to be doing pretty well. It all comes down to having the athletes and staying healthy. Sad when people start pointing fingers and laying blame on each other. That isn't a healthy program when stuff like that is going on.

And you'll get no argument from me. It IS a sad situation, but one, HOPEFULLY, that will be dealt with internally in about...oh, 8 days or so!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The Cats
November 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM
WCU doesn't have the money to do it, but it sounds like they need to clean house...... That isn't a healthy program when stuff like that is going on.

You are correct on both counts. But, the administration saw fit to give Coach Briggs a brand new three year contract after the 1st win this year (against a DII team). The Cats are 1-7 from that point.

This article from the Ashrville rag will give you a flavor of how bad it is in Cullowhee.

Injuries, suspensions plague Catamounts
by Keith Jarrett
published November 9, 2006 12:15 am

ASHEVILLE — Western Carolina limps into the final two weeks of its football season against a pair of nationally ranked teams looking like a program in disarray.

The Catamounts (2-7, 0-6) have lost seven straight games going into Saturday’s 4 p.m. home game against mountain rival Appalachian State (9-1, 6-0), the nation’s top-ranked I-AA team.

WCU, outscored 185-88 in Southern Conference play, wraps up its season next week with a game at No. 6 Florida.

In addition to a slew of injuries, coach Kent Briggs has had to deal with suspensions and the loss of several players.

• Mark Burgess, a senior who started the first eight games at offensive tackle, is suspended indefinitely.

• Sophomore Brandon Breeden, who started the first seven games at free safety, was suspended for last week’s game at Liberty.

Breeden will be available for the ASU game but is listed third on this week’s depth chart.

Briggs said Burgess and Breeden were suspended for “violation of team rules” but declined to give specific reasons.

• Sophomore Marcus Nellums, who has started six games at defensive end, is suffering from a concussion and has also had “team issues,” according to Briggs.

• Freshman linebacker Josh Smith, who has played in seven games, is not listed on the team’s lengthy injury report.

Briggs said Smith has a non-injury medical condition that he couldn’t discuss and will miss the rest of the season.

• Earlier this season Briggs suspended reserve wide receivers Morrio Clark and Nick Miller one game for violating team rules.

• Freshman kicker Neville Hayes of Asheville quit the team a couple of weeks ago.

“In every season, you have situations come up, and this season, with all the injuries we’ve had, has been a lot tougher than most years,” said Briggs, who is 1-7 since receiving a three-year contract extension earlier this season.

“You’re going to have players that may not do the things you ask them to do, and you have to have discipline. And when you lose, all those things seem to be highlighted.”

At least 17 players on the two-deep depth chart have missed time with injuries or other reasons this season, including 13 starters.

The defensive front has had nine different players start, and only six of 22 positions have had the same player start every game.

The injuries and suspensions have resulted in 35 different players on the 83-man roster getting at least one start this season.

Sophomore James Singletary has started at four different positions — offensive tackle, tight end, wide receiver and defensive tackle.

The seven straight defeats is the longest stretch of futility in one season since the 1956 Catamounts lost nine in a row.

A loss to ASU would match a streak of eight consecutive defeats established during the 1990-91 seasons and also mark the first time in 30 seasons that WCU didn’t win a game in the SoCon.

The all-time record for consecutive losses for the Catamounts is 13 games, set during the 1956-57 seasons.